• Published 3rd Feb 2019
  • 20,270 Views, 3,199 Comments

A Crafter's Dream (Discontinued) - ruthim345



It'd been years. Years since the war. Steve was the only one left. Everyone else was gone. He lived, he fought. Rinse, repeat. All he wants is a second chance. And now, he'll get his chance.

  • ...
139
 3,199
 20,270

PreviousChapters Next
A Crafter's Dream Ch. 25: Pale and White

Now, without further adieu, I present,

A Crafter’s Dream

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!

“Muffins are ready!!” Steve called out as he opened the oven door, mitt on hand, pulling out the hot tray. Setting the delicious treats down on the counter, he shook off the oven mitt, then turned the valve to OFF. Brushing his hands off, he heard the sounds of hooves trotting into the room, two sets of them. Glancing at the entrance, he saw exactly the ponies he was expecting, Derpy and Dinky. He smiled at the duo.

“They just got out done cooking. Be careful when you’re eating them. I don’t want to treat you all for burns of awesomeness.” This got a chuckle out of the mom and daughter. Taking three muffins out, he placed each on a napkin, then handed them out, one each.

“Ooh, blueberry!” Dinky exclaimed, carefully taking the muffin, then running off with it. Derpy chuckled, then took her muffin, blowing slightly on it to cool it down. She looked up at Steve as he took a big chomp out of the muffin, ignoring the heat.

“So, how did the meeting go yesterday?” She asked. Steve stopped chewing, thought for a moment, then swallowed before responding.

“Pretty terrible, if I’m being honest. I think I ruined at least one of Dash’s friendships and damaged most of the others. Frankly, the entire meeting made more problems than it solved. I’ve been meaning to talk to her, or any of them since then, but I feel like that would only make things worse.”

“Well, maybe, but it could also solve a few of the problems.” She responded. Steve sighed, but nodded.

“I guess, but I’d rather not risk making the issue worse, especially considering that social issues were never my forte. Mine is more, ‘punch, punch, kick’ that kinda thing.” Derpy chuckled.

“Yeah, I guess so.” Looking away in thought, she turned back to the Crafter. “Do you think I should try and talk to them?” Steve shook his head immediately.

“No. I won’t have you solving my problems. I gotta do this myself.” Steve said, chomping down the rest of the muffin. Grabbing another, he walked out of the kitchen, heading towards the living room. She followed.

“Anyway, I gotta get going. Zecora had some stuff for me to do with her. I want to get that all done before it gets dark.” He spoke, walking to her front door.

“Alright, I hope to see you soon Steve. Bye.” Derpy said, hugging him.

“Me too. Bye Derpy. Bye Dinky!” He called. His response came quickly.

“Bye Mister Steve!” He smirked, then turned the knob, walking out onto her front lawn. Looking both ways, he determined it was clear.

L1 (Hold) Potion Select: Invisibility Potion (Level 3)

Taking out his potion of Invisibility, he uncorked it and tipped the bottle back.

“Wait, Steve!” Turning his head back, he saw Derpy was standing in the doorway, hoof out, as if reaching for him.

“Yeah? What is it?” Steve asked, lowering the bottle. She opened her mouth, then, as if thinking better of it, closed it. He noticed a faint redness on her cheeks. Was she sick?

“Never mind, it doesn’t matter. Bye Steve!” Before he could ask what was on her mind, or if she was feeling well, Derpy had closed the door. He considered for a moment going after her, but he scrapped the thought.

“Derpy’s a grown mare. She can take care of herself. And if not, Dinky will be there to help her.” Steve muttered to himself, before gulping down the carrot-flavored liquid in the bottle, which instantly turned him invisible. Glancing around for a moment, he ran off, heading for the forest.

* * * * *

Steve walked down the forest path in the dim twilight. In his inventory, besides his usual stuff, he carried a few potion flasks, as well as brewing materials, given to him by Zecora upon his request during his visit. Nothing special, but he wanted to try and cook up some new potions.

Suddenly, his ear picked up the sound of footsteps.

D-Pad Up: Sword

Steve whirled around, unsheathing his sword and dropping into a fighting stance, all in one, fluid motion. His eyes searched for the source, knowing there was no way those steps were from a Timberwolf or Manticore. They were too light.

Soon, a figure stepped out of the underbrush, causing Steve to let out a growl as he recognized the figure. It was Nog, wearing his familiar set of studded armor. His battle-axe hung sheathed on his back. His massive forearms hung limply by his sides. His gray eyes were blank, focused solely on Steve.

Steve grit his teeth, then moved towards his opponent, sword pulled back, expecting the fight to begin immediately. However, he was shocked when the unexpected happened; Nog put his hands up in a placating, non-threatening manner. Steve stopped, gaze narrowed.

“Creature, Steve, I want to talk.” Steve didn’t move, nor did his expression change, but he responded.

“About what?” Nog released a small sigh of relief.

“Attack on barracks. What happened?” Nog asked, letting his arms drop. Steve sighed in annoyance.

“I told you, ask General Trench. The piece of sh…”

“He no remember.” Nog interrupted. Steve did a double take as his expression changed to one of confusion.

“Wait, what?” He asked, making sure he had heard correctly.

“Memories wiped. No remember. You must tell us.” Steve opened his mouth to reply, before something occurred to him. His fist clenched around his sword.

“What do you mean, ‘us’?” He saw Nog tense, before sighing. Putting up a hand, Nog suddenly closed his hand into a fist. Just like that, a least half a dozen guards trotted into view, exiting the foliage. Alongside them were the rest of the Mismatch gang, all armed. Steve stepped back and dropped into a fighting stance again, growling, which caused everyone on the other side to tense.

“Wait, we just want to talk!” Aura spoke, the thestral stepping forward. Steve didn’t move.

“Why should I believe you now!? You all were hiding, waiting!” Steve yelled, eyes narrowed at them. Aura had the decency to look at least a little guilty, trying to come up with a response. Instead, Riz spoke out.

“Look dude, I know we don’t like each other that much, but something’s very, very wrong. We just want to find out what, and why.” Steve scoffed at the griffon.

“And why should I even give a shit?”

“It might be the reason why there’s a kill order on you.”

The remark caused Steve to stop for a moment. After a moment, he groaned, then stood straight, leaving his blade hanging loosely by side.

“Alright. I’m listening. But if there’s any more surprises, I will not be held responsible for my actions. You four,” Steve said, pointing to the Mismatch group, “are already on thin ice with me as it is.” Thorn narrowed his eyes.

“Oh yeah? Why not the guards?”

“Back home, I was soldier. I know for a fact that only the higher-ups actually know what’s going on. The rest are just following orders. You four, I know for a fact, are not part of the military. Besides, you are more of a threat then the guards are, all things considered.”

“Well, sorry my troops don’t meet your standards, Creature.” Steve’s eyes widened in shock as he heard those words, and the voice that spoke them. He knew that voice. Looking at the guards, he saw one that he recognized slowly walking forward.

The guard wasn’t wearing his helmet, revealing his dark gray coat and brown eyes, along with his black mane. Steve felt anger churn in his stomach as the earth stallion came closer, stopping just beside Thorn.

General Trench.

Steve’s first instinct was to throttle the fucker, but he toned it down, trying to go for the peaceful route. As it was, if Nog wasn’t lying, Trench didn’t remember the incident. That meant he couldn’t kill him, yet. Didn’t mean he had to forgive him though.

“Ah, General Trench. I see you are here as well.” Steve spoke through gritted teeth. If the pony saw Steve’s restraint, he didn’t mention it.

“Yeah, Nog and Thorn figured that since you talked about me, I should come to this meeting. Now, can you please tell us what happened that made you attack the barracks and hospitalize dozens of guards?”

Steve sighed, relieving some of the tension that had formed in his stomach. “Alright, look. I made a friend in Ponyville. Who it is, I will not say, but I like to think we’ve gotten pretty close. Anyway, one evening, I’m walking through an alley, only to find her daughter, crying in an alley about how the General had taken her mom.” Trench’s eyes widened. “After that, I was set on getting her back. I broke through your barrier and fought against any guards in my way. It wasn't long before I was facing a blind earth pony.”

“Shot.” Trench interrupted. Steve quirked an eyebrow at him. Seeing the motion, Trench elaborated. “The stallion’s name is Sure Shot. One of my best fighters, despite his blindness.”

“Okay, so I was facing Sure Shit, and I told him that I was getting to my friend, one way or another. Then,” Steve clenched his fist in anger as he remembered the exact words the pony had said. “he said that the guards, had used my friend for their own, personal urges.” He looked up and saw everyone had a look of pure disgust and horror on their face.

“So, after that, I nearly killed Sure Shot in a fit of rage, then fought my way to the camp where D, uh, my friend, was being held. I blew the side of it open, and found my friend tied to a chair. Only a few seconds later, I saw you.” Steve pointed to Trench. “I held you at sword point and asked you if my friend had been raped. Luckily, she hadn’t, but you had threatened her with it if you didn't get what you wanted. I was about to kill you, but my friend convinced me not to.” Steve gave a sigh, repressing his anger, then finished his tale. “After that, I took my friend home. Simple as that.”

“I, but, why would, I did that?!” Trench spoke incredulously, horror plastered across his face. He looked at Steve, as if expecting him to answer. But the Crafter ignored him, instead focusing on Nog.

“So, you have your answer, now I want mine. What’s this about a kill order?”

“When we take mission, Princess ask me to kill you, in moment of weakness. Very strange.” The statement caused Steve to quirk an eyebrow.

“Why is it so strange?” This time, Thorn answered.

“The Princess is well-known for being peaceful. It’s really bucking strange that she would ask for your death.” Steve gave a small chuckle, making the dragon, as well as the others, to furrow their brows.

“What’s so funny?”

“Oh, it’s just, y’know. Strange behavior, lost memories, bad situations. If we were back home, I would definitely say it was…” Steve stopped, as his stomach was suddenly filled with a powerful, knee-shaking dread. No. It couldn’t be, could it?

Steve was suddenly aware of the quiet flapping of wings, as something landed behind him. Judging by the expressions on Trench’s face, it was someone important. Whirling around, he saw the being behind him.

It was the same pony that had been at the end of the race. She stood tall, a foot above his own height. Her pristine white fur stood out heavily against the dark green foliage. Her eyes, strangely enough, were closed. But something felt, wrong. Steve could feel it in his gut.

Oh, looks like I’ve been found out.

Steve jolted suddenly as the words, coming from a foreign voice, echoed through his mind. His fingers tightened around the handle of his sword. Whatever this thing was, it wasn’t their Princess.

“Ah, your majesty! I was unaware of your…?” Trench began moving forward, only to be stopped by a hand from Steve. He looked up with a irritated expression, which fell when he saw the look of fear on Steve’s face.

“That, is not your princess.” Trench’s eyes widened, then looked at the white creature that stood before them. For a moment, it remained motionless.

Then, slowly, a smile, at first, small, but gradually growing larger and more sinister overtook it’s features. The guards bristled, as they unconsciously prepared themselves for whatever happened.

Suddenly, the creatures eye opened, revealing a blinding white light. Steve stumbled back as he covered his eyes, gritting his teeth. The air felt like static. Steve squinted his eyes, trying and failing to see what was going on. Then, something slammed into him, and everything went black.

* * * * *

When Steve came to, he was laying on his back. Sitting up, he groaned as pain flared up in his back. Popping it, he found himself in a vaguely familiar place.

Everything was black. Everywhere he looked, all he could see was the deep blackness clouding his vision. A small feeling of panic came over him. Where was he?

“Hello!!” Steve called out. His only response was pure silence, as not even the echo of his call was swallowed by the darkness.

“Hello!! Where am I!!??” Steve called again, to no avail.

“The Mindscape, dear Steve.” a voice spoke from behind. Steve froze. Taking a deep breath, he slowly turned as his eyes made contact with the source of the voice. With those pale, glowing eyes.

“Herobrine.”

Author's Note:

So, this is the final chapter of the "Misunderstood" Arc. The next arc will be called "Mind over Matter."

Thank you all for reading! Tell me what you all think in the comments!:pinkiehappy:

PreviousChapters Next