• Published 12th Aug 2013
  • 334 Views, 0 Comments

The Origin of Lock Target - Lock Target



In this tale of action, adventure and woe, see how a little colt from a Southern Equestrian town became the tough guy he is today.

  • ...
 0
 334

From humble beginnings

It all started on that fateful day in my home town, Gallop Gulch. I was just a little pony back then. Dawn had just broken over the town. My father and I got up and started on our chores. We had just finished when my mother, Padlock called for us.

"Bullseye, Lock, breakfast!"

My father was Bullseye, greatest slinger in Southern Equestria. When we weren't taking care of the ranch, he would teach me his skills at firing a crossbow. I was an only child. No brothers, no sisters, nopony. My parents did everything they could to satisfy me and I was greatful for that.

"Well, it looks like you boys worked up an appitite"

"Sure did, Paddy!"

I rushed in to eat. We all sat around the table. My being an only child, we had plenty to eat and we were keeping up with our bills...All except one.

"Bullseye, the postmare came today"

"And?"

"The bank just sent us a final notice"

"What? But I just paid them this month!"

"Yes, but don't you remember? We skipped a month when you ran the plow into the barn and broke your leg"

"How much are they asking for, mama?" I didn't know much about such things back then.

My mother paused for a moments and said, "...500,000 Bits. And we only made so much this month. If this keeps up, we could lose the ranch!"

I thought about this for a moment. "Hmm...Say, that's exactly what the mayor's giving away to the winner of this year's Marksmaneship Competition! Papa could win the money and we can be fine for another month!"

My father pondered this before saying, "Now THERE'S an idea! By gum, I bet I can win that thing faster then you can whistle 'This Cowpony's hat' with crackers in your mouth!" He'd always exaggerate when it came to his skills. Being known as the best, I didn't blame him.

As young and nieve as I was, I didn't know what was in store. We got to the town square where the contest was being held. I had just gotten perched on the railing on the blacksmith's shop. My father did well. But then...

"Fillies and Gentlecolts!" the mayor started, "It all comes down to two competitors! 'One-Shot' Bullseye and Sheriff Sky!"

Sheriff Sky, Mayor Bad Egg's trusted enforcer. Since before Bad Egg was in power, the two have been good friends with my father. A Griffin for a sheriff will make anypony in a small town a little edgy, but he's always kept lawbreakers in line. I watched as Sky went first. He hit the target dead center, but my father showed off as usual and split the arrow. As the crowd cheered for him for winning the competition, I felt something. I didn't hear it over the crown, but somehow, I sensed an arrow coming toward my father's head and managed to catch it before it hit him.

"What in sam hill?" That was all my father could say as it was there when I learned that I had superpony abilities. Everypony ran off in fear of the one who shot the arrow who was another griffin.

"This wasn't part of the plan!" Sky shouted at the mayor.

"P-plan?" It turned out that we were all decieved.

My father placed this very hat on my head as he moved up in front of me. He then looked at Sky.

"I sware, we were only going to give you the money so you could pay your bank bill. The prize money for this year's contest was just a ploy to help you!"

"So what's THIS guy's story?"

"He works for me...So does the bank!" When we heard Bad Egg say this, my father became enraged. "Listen, I can't just stick my neck out for just anypony, especially a childhood friend...Just the highest bidder!" He cackled as he aproached us.

"You slimey double-crosser! No wonder you have a Cutie Mark of a snake on your flank!" My father's nostrils flared in displeasure.

"What can I say? It just comes naturally" He nodded at he other griffin and he shot an arrow into his head which I tried to prevent earlier.

As my father hit the ground, these were his dying words: "...Get...My family to...Safety!" I saw as the life in his eyes faded away.

"Now we can't have that!" Bad Egg said pulling out his crossbow. Sky managed to fly me out of town. We managed to find my mother an explain what had happened.

Luckily, we had a hot-air balloon for in case we had to flee to the city. We got into it and took flight. Unfortunately, we didn't count on the strong winds that afternoon. The wind tossed us around for weeks before we saw a place we haven't seen before...The sign read "Manegri-La"

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment