• Published 25th Jul 2018
  • 6,128 Views, 557 Comments

Rainbooms and Royalty (New) - Trinary



Rainbow Dash's first Sonic Rainboom garnered her plenty of attention—including from Celestia, who made Rainbow her student! A re-imagining of the events "Friendship is Magic" (New version!)

  • ...
5
 557
 6,128

Chapter 17

Pinkie bounced around the group, still singing happily at the top of her lungs. While her singing and laughter had saved them from the Swamp of Despair, she didn’t see their freedom as a reason to stop.

Rainbow Dash groaned but couldn't stop from smiling as she did so. Her normal mood for Pinkie's antics was either bemusement or annoyance, usually somewhere in the 50/50 ratio. Since the swamp it had definitely started tilting more towards the former. "You do know we’re not in the swamp or sad anymore, right? You can stop anytime.”

“Awww, but where’s the fun in that?” She pouted before launching into another verse.

Applejack shook her head. “Boy howdy. There ain’t no stopping her, is there?”

“Nope!” Pinkie giggled. “I just keep going and going and going…” She emphasized each ‘going’ with a bounce until Rainbow Dash covered her mouth.

“Do you internalize any of your thoughts?” She asked dryly.

Pinkie blinked at her. “You can do that?” She didn’t puzzle over it long before she shrugged and resumed her pronking about. Even if it was odd, her peppiness did have the benefit of making the others temporarily forget how tired they all were, especially after the swamp.

Rarity tossed her mane. “Well, I for one am certainly grateful for Pinkie’s singing in getting us out of that filthy swamp. Just look at what it did to my coat!” Rarity let out a low whine as she shook herself, trying to dislodge whatever remaining dirt and was still stuck in her fur. She didn't seem to notice several eyes rolling in unison. She ran a hoof through her mane, then her eyes went wide. “Nononononono!” She frantically ran both her hooves through her mane, not caring as she messed up her hair.

Fluttershy looked over at her. “What’s wrong?!”

“My necklace!” Rarity shrieked, looking around at the ground. “It’s gone!”

Rainbow Dash frowned, not looking forward to another detour right after their last one. “We just lost a lot of time in the swamp. We can come back to look for it after we’ve finished saving the world.”

Rarity shook her head frantically, her face wet with tears. “Y-you don’t understand! It’s the one my grandmother gave me after I made my first dress! It’s irreplaceable!”

“Sugarcube, I’m sorry but we don’t have the time!” Applejack gently tapped her own hat. “I know how y’feel, but Rainbow's right; everypony in the world is counting on us. I’ll help you look for it on the way back, I promise. We all will, right?”

“Wait.” Everypony looked as Twilight spoke up. She shut her eyes and focused. “Here goes.” A white ball of magic appeared out of her horn and zoomed back in the direction they had just come from. Twilight galloped after it before anypony could object.

Rainbow prepared to race after her, but Zecora didn't seem worried by this. Before Rainbow could make up her mind, Twilight returned with something held in her magic.

“My necklace!” Rarity shrieked again, but this time in a completely different tone—if not volume. “Oh thank you Twilight, thank you!” she gushed, nuzzling the flustered unicorn.

“I-it’s no big deal!” Twilight squeaked out. “It was just your basic track and search spell. I found it right at the edge of the swamp. Or the former swamp anyway—urk!”

Rarity threw her hooves around Twilight, forcing the breath from the her lungs as she hugged her.

Rainbow rubbed her face at another delay. “Okay, now can we go?"

Rarity clasped the necklace around her neck and tucked it away in her mane. “Really, Rainbow,” she tsked, “you can stand to be a bit more generous when it comes to other ponies’ feelings.”

Dash dug in her hooves. “You insisted on coming out here and you know we're pressed for time. You could’ve just decided to leave your necklace back in Ponyville if you were that worried about it—it’s not like any of the creatures around here are gonna feel offended that you didn’t bring it with you into this dingy old forest.” She didn’t notice the semi-offended look on Zecora’s face.

Rarity sniffed. “How one presents oneself to the world is important! When you show that you care about your appearance, it shows that you care how others perceive you. That shows them that you value other ponies’ opinions and that you appreciate what they think.” She stepped forward, sauntering slightly and shaking her tail. “You might want to try it sometime.”

Zecora affected not to notice the byplay as she tapped her staff against the ground. “Come then and let us hurry, it’s high time we move on. We have further to go before this night is gone.”

Their trek through the forest continued, each part looking much like any other. Soon they came to a clearing which everypony was looking forward to: a chance to stop and rest. But before they could enter, Zecora stopped short, causing the group behind her to stop. “We must tread with great caution as we cross this place. Many dangerous things lurk beneath the earth’s face.”

Rainbow, looked down from where she was hovering. All she could see was a dirt patch that covered the length and width of the clearing. Aside from a lack of grass, it looked no different than any other part of the Everfree.

“Oooh!” Pinkie Pie examined the dirt with a critical eye. “Like what? Is it giant worms with mouth tentacles that go all ‘Blaarg!’ and suck you down? Or maybe it’s—”

Pinkie Pie opens mouth, insert hoof. Rainbow Dash had it practically down to a science. “Pinkie,” she warned before removing her hoof.

“Zecora, everypony needs a rest.” Twilight fidgeted. “What’s so dangerous about this place that we can’t stop? I don’t see anything.”

“And if’n it is dangerous, why not just go ‘round it?” Applejack asked.

Their zebra guide sighed. “The forest around here is too dense to go through, which leaves only the clearing you see before you. As to the danger, as I’ve previously said—it lies beneath the ground, something you should all dread. Walk softly with great care, and of our presence they will not be aware.”

Rainbow Dash flew over the clearing, circling around for any sign of, well, anything. “You’re really stretching it with those rhymes Zecora.”

“If my personal syntax causes you that much vexation, feel free to employ a guide more suited to your dictation,” Zecora replied as she gingerly started to slowly walk across the clearing. She walked with such great care that she hardly left even a hoof print in the fresh earth. Seeing her example, the others followed suit.

Rarity, of course, couldn’t help tossing her mane and lifting her snout in the air as she elegantly pranced across the ground. Fluttershy stood on her tips of her hooves as she scuttled forward. Twilight and Applejack were having more difficulty—especially Applejack—since neither one of them had much cause to sneak and creep around.

They were about halfway across when Twilight’s hoof sank into a soft patch of dirt and tripped her up. With a yell she fell flat on her face. Everypony stopped short and held their breath. Nopony so much as twitched. After a moment of waiting, nothing happened.

Applejack sighed. “Well, that’s a relief!” She took a step—only to have a clawed paw burst out of the ground and grab her by the ankle.

“Z-zombies!” Pinkie Pie yelled in terror. Fluttershy shrieked and froze up with fright as paw after paw burst up from the dirt, clawing and waving at anything within reach.

“What are these things?!” Rainbow demanded as she abruptly stopped flying and landed hard on one of them with all four hooves.

Zecora was swinging her staff around, smacking the reaching paws around her. “The diggers of the deep, who smell of rotten hogs. They're rough and they're cruel, and are stubborn as mules—” A howl interrupted her as dirt was tossed into the air. Paws reached out of the hole torn in the ground, and attached to them were long furry arms attached to equally furry bodies. Three forms emerged from the dirt, paws raised and claws bared.

“—the Diamond Dogs!”