• Published 3rd Jan 2019
  • 1,928 Views, 244 Comments

The Tournament Of Friendship - FourShadow



Following the events that went down at CHS, the Rainbooms are struggling to change themselves for the better. And with the upcoming Friendship Games, it might give them ample opportunity to do so. But will it be enough?

  • ...
4
 244
 1,928

Chapter 23: Turn Of Events

Author's Note:

And so the story continues. Only this time, things are going to be a bit... interesting.

Now bare with me on this, this chapter was a bit tricky, (mostly with the flashback scene) but I do hope you'll enjoy it. And as for the last scene... honestly that's more of a experiment, seeing if it works or not. I hope it does, but I'll wait to hear from all of you first.

Thursday. The day for the final event of the Friendship Games was here. Unfortunately it seemed as if the games would have to be delayed for later on in the day. Heavy rains were coming down hard, and the events that they had planned for the day involved outdoor activities; none of which was going to be possible with this weather.

But it didn't mean that CPA wasn't gonna come over to CHS. When the bad weather left, that was when they were going to get themselves back in the game again. But until then? Goof-off time! Now there was some who were still trying to get moving and get on their very way to school, as not everyone took the bus or got driven to school. Some who lived closeby could just simply walk and they'd be there just like that.

In Canterlot City, Lyra Heartstrings stood on one of the buildings. The soft cloud of thunder boomed in the skies above, and lightning flashed before Lyra's eyes. She lifted up her hood, covering her hair from the rain. A mask lifted up over her nose, leaving only her eyes exposed to the world.

Focus. Focus, hard work, and determination, is always the true key to success, the quote echoed in the back of Lyra's head. It was a quote she heard from her mother over and over again, and it was a quote she was going to need to keep in mind for what she was about to do. Having learned of her teleportation abilities, she figured now would be perfect time to try them out.

Looking ahead, she could see another building just as tall as the one she stood on. Just a simple dash, jump, teleport. Should be easy, right?

She backed up her feet, getting ready to make that dash. She had stretched her legs, stretched her neck, made sure her weapons were secure on her body with no chance of falling off, she was all ready to go. She took one foot up after the other, and she began to run. She felt the adrenaline start to coerce through her veins. She was really going for it, she was really going to give this a shot! She dashed and then jumped, arms in an spread eagle like formation. And with a single flash, her body vanished from the air she was on.

And in a matter of seconds she was falling straight down and landed flat on her stomach and face, spread like a spider on top of another building complex. She moaned into the hard stones which were now mushed against her face. As she lifted herself up, she felt some of the stones pop off like they were bubbles.

"Okay... bad idea," Lyra moaned, pulling herself back up. And the first thing she saw was the man with the tool-belt giving her an awkward expression as she got up.

"What the heck are you doing, kid?"

Lyra blanked. "Um... astronaut exercises?"

"Well be careful, would ya? Not all of us can get straight to the hospital right away," the man said before getting back to work. Lyra took his advice with a grain of salt and decided to try again. But it seemed as if her luck would be changing for the good. The next couple of buildings she had chance to dash across were all on level-height, shouldn't be too much of a problem!

She backed up her steps, getting ready to run again. Just a simple dash and jump into the air. Arms spread like an eagle once again, flash, but this time, she was only a few inches from off the next building, and landed on her feet, knees and legs bent for landing.

The ninja looked back, realizing where she had dashed, no longer on the building where the construction worker was. She had made her successful jump! But wait, she had more buildings just up ahead, now was her chance! She ran again, jump, and teleported onto the next building. Another lap of running, jump, and teleport. By the time she had gotten to the sixth building, she was already grasping her teleportation ability. All she had to do now was focus on where she wanted to land, and boom! She was there!

And her move continued to work for the next few series of jumps. She teleported her way across the city, until there was no more buildings for her to jump across and was starting to enter suburb territory. School would be real close by, and it would be just in time.

As she started to run, she saw one of her friends already walking there; Vinyl, walking underneath the protection of an umbrella.

"Hey Vinyl!"

Vinyl looked back and smiled, waving to her friend as she dashed towards her with another teleport. And Vinyl offered a little bit of her umbrella as cover which Lyra appreciated. She lifted her hood up, showing some of her hair and face still a bit wet from the weather.

"I see you're finally getting your teleportation ability under control," Vinyl complimented.

"Yeah, I am! What about you, you got any grip on your electricity?"

"Mmmhmm," Vinyl squeaked. "I don't know how, but after a bit of practice, I managed to reel in the spark to get power back into our house. Now none of us were cold the night before."

"Well that's good."

Vinyl shrugged. "I guess so. But there is still the issue of having a few... overloads," she blushed. "I may have controlled it for the most part, but there are some major and minor slip ups here and there."

"All a part of learning to keep it under control," her ninja friend smiled.

The two had finally made it to the front of CHS, just outside there were some CPA buses already parked.

"Huh, so Crystal Prep's finally here," Vinyl said.

"Yeah, but apparently the games are being put on hold until this storm clears. Don't know when that'll be though," she said, keeping herself dry under the umbrella.

"Oh, have you heard from the Dazzlings, yet?"

"No, I'm afraid not. I tried calling them, but it keeps going straight to voicemail," Vinyl shook her head. "I really hope nothing bad has happened to them."

"I'm sure they're fine, maybe they're in a place where cellphones aren't permitted," Lyra shrugged off, feeling hopeful.

The violinist sighed. "I hope you're right..." The two walked inside, and walked through the main foyer down the hall to find their lockers, and hopefully their friends.

The three heads currently in charge; Principal Luna, Vice-Principal Celestia, and Principal Cinch were staring outside into the open world, watching the rain continue to fall. They were happy as clams just being inside, enjoying the nice boost of hot coffee to wake them up.

"To tell you the truth, I don't think I was expecting the heavy rains today," Principal Luna commented. "I knew it would be gloomy and cloudy, but this?"

"Not the worst thing in the world, sister," Vice-Principal Celestia replied.

"Well I hope this clears up soon, I'd hate for us to play the final event in this dreadful mess," Principal Cinch replied. "Though, I must question; after what happened yesterday, is it really the best idea for us to be trying this again?"

Cinch did raise a good point. The dragon and timber-wolves came out of nowhere, and no one was prepared for them. When the first event of the games began, everything was going so well. But then day number 2, and suddenly it all spiraled into chaos. They didn't know if it would repeat, but one thing was for sure; the games would continue, but if something did go wrong; they'd cancel it early, bringing it all to a tie.

Twilight Sparkle gazed at some of the Crystal Prep students. Some of them were just staring off into their own world, some engaged in their phones either playing a game, or looking at something random or pointless for laughs. And some were seen interacting with a few of the CHS students, either doing the same or just talking and relaxing. And down another wing, she could see Indigo Zap and company yet again. They looked towards a familiar group of girls who were expressing themselves with happy faces and hugs. She didn't hear what they were talking about, but it sounded rather cheerful and upbeat.

Ignoring their joy, she just kept on walking. Right now she had only one target in mind, and she was going to get it done no matter what he said...


The Night Before...

It was evening at the Sparkle house. Shining Armor was watching TV in the living room, while Twilight is – again – up in her bedroom, doing more of her research. Twilight Velvet and Night Light have gone out for the evening, Velvet had an opening for a new book being published and Night Light wanted to be there for his wife, to record this special occasion.

Shining is alone, and while part of him wished that his little sister was with him here, he’s not uncomfortable on the couch watching some old reruns.

DING-DONG.

Shining looked up in surprise as the doorbell rings. It’s after dark, but still far too early for his parents to be home. Curious, he goes to answer the door.

“Hello...?”

To his surprise, it’s Cadence. She’s dressed simply, but nicely; and she smiled at him, both nervous and hopeful all at once.

“Hi, Shining…” She gathered herself. “I was wondering if I could talk to Twilight?”

Shining blinked, processing this, even though he knew, soon as he saw her, that this was what she was going to ask. Worried, he glances back behind him, towards the stairs and Twilight’s bedroom.

“Shiny…”, she begged, calling him by an old pet name from when they were dating. “Please… I need to do this.”

“Cady…” he replied back, calling her by an old pet name, out of reflex. “I don’t know… I don’t think this is a good idea.”

"Please?"

Shining wanted to resist, but he couldn't just kick her out right now. Failing to resist, he allowed her to come on inside, and walked upstairs with her following her. The two made it to the top and stood outside of Twilight's room, where she was still typing away at her computer, filing more of her research.

"Twilight?

A pause of silence. Twilight refused to look her in the eye, and so, she still kept her face glued to the screen.

".... what do you want?"

It would be now or never. So why not now?

"Twilight, I know you and I have some history, but... Twilight, it's been a really long time. I know you don't forget, but... I just wanna talk. Maybe you and I could--"

"Cadence. Look, I don't care. What happened years ago, is nothing now. I don't want to talk to you, I don't want to see you, just leave me alone to do my research," Twilight said, almost robotic in her tone.

Some awkward silence was between all three of them. Cadence, for one, was just as silent. But she felt her eyes slowly start to water, realizing how far Twilight had fallen from her younger days.

"I... I understand." She looked away, trying not to let herself be seen, tearing up.

"Cady, hey...", he looks her in the eye. "W-Why don't you go downstairs, I'll talk to her."

Cadence holds back a whimper, but sniffles a bit, and walks back downstairs. Disappointed, a little upset, Shining looked back at Twilight with his eyebrows furled.

"Twily... I think you owe her an apology."

Twilight finally stopped looking at her screen and spun around to look at her brother. She looked at him with disbelief, staring at her brother who was glaring and had his arms folded. "Me?"

"Yes, you do. She came here to apologize to you, and you just shut her out! You can't just shut out those around you like that."

Twilight was cross. "Did you completely forget what happened the last time I was with her?"

"What happened was a mistake, Twilight. People make mistakes, everyone makes mistakes, it's human nature! You can't just hold her accountable for ONE mistake!"

Twilight stood up. "You know what she did!"

"Yes, I do!" Shining was heaving quite visibly. "Twilight. I am not saying this to upset you. I want you to be happy, if you keep living in this same cycle over and over, you're never going to grow, you're never going to be happy."

"Well maybe I would if you just let me do my research!"

Shining scoffed. "Research? I've seen what you're trying to research, Twilight. It's NOT. REAL."

"Yes... yes it is. And I know it's real," she snarled, getting right into her older brother's face with some insistence.

Shining could see he wasn't going to get much more out of Twilight by now. There was no arguing with her tonight, besides there was a woman downstairs probably in need of some comfort.

"I don't think you know what's real, Twilight. When you're ready to apologize, we'll be downstairs."

"Fine!"

"Fine!"

Shining stomped out of her room, leaving Twilight alone. She brought everything to a halt for a moment, breathing heavily. Her hands were shaking up, and she looked away from the door, still trying to keep herself composed. For once, for the first time in a long time... a genuine tear of sadness fell from her eye, and she looked back at her open door with some more shame. Was she really that hurtful? Did she take it too far...?

Twilight slowly crept down the stairs, looking down into the living room. There she could see Shining was holding Cadence close on the couch, some soft crying from the other woman, Shining keeping her close for comfort*
Cadence's voice was shaky. "I... I just... I just wanted to say I'm sorry... I just wanted to make things right again."

"Shh... I know. I know," Shining comforted, hugging her. "I don't know what to do with her... she's been like this for a really long time. I'm not sure if she'll ever get out of it."

Twilight once again, felt a sting in her heart, the guilt coming back. But as she went back upstairs, she looked back into her hand, the pendent that she had built. Her face of sadness and guilt slowly snapped back into blank, neutral, but determined. No. She wasn't standing down. Shining didn't believe her? Fine. But she was going to deliver proof... one way or another. And even if she wasn't... someone had to step in and contain that magic, someway, somehow. And if no one else would... then she would.


All the memories flashed back in her head like a spontaneous trip through time. Her determined expression not changing as she thought. But when she continued to walk, she stopped when she realized something. The girls; those girls with the magic... they were right in front of her.

Scared of being caught, she threw her body in between a set of two locker sets, out of sight. Now all she had to do was listen.

"... So okay, Mom tells me to go get the fish, and then two seconds later, I'm already back with them!" Lyra finished, eliciting some giggles from the rest of the girls.

"Oh how about this? Yesterday, after the games, I scrounged up some metal from some junkyards... and I built, this," Octavia lifted up two chunks of metal that were meshed together, looking like jagged shoulder pads with spikes on the end.

"Oooh..." the girls said in awe.

"Built this for my rocker persona, if we decide to perform again," Octavia levitated the metal pieces to mount on her shoulders, smirking at them like the eccentric rocker she was, while making a punk sign with her fingers. "Then Metallica is ready to rock and roll, ladies."

Trixie and Vinyl giggled.

"Very well, Metallica," Trixie giggled.

"Heh, yes. Now, luv, are you feeling any better?" Octavia asked.

"I am, Octavia. After you took me home, I wound up falling asleep, slept like a baby for 5 hours," Trixie explained. "After that, and a little bit of some energy boosts, I started playing with my illusions and let me tell you, I came up with some pretty goofy stuff."

"Like what?"

Trixie snickered. "I don't know if I should say. It's," she snickered again. "Too weird. Buttttt... I think I have mastered the illusion of contained environment."

"... That doesn't make any sense," Bon Bon scratched her head.

"Hehe. Look, how about this; I'll show you what I mean. I remember seeing a movie last night, and something from that film gave me a little idea..."

"Oooh, color me intrigued," Vinyl said with interest.

"Count me in, I wanna see what you came up with!" Amethyst nodded.

"Me too!"

"Well, great, come on!" Trixie said, leading the way.

"Oh go ahead, I just need to grab something real quick," Lyra said.

"Okay," Trixie acknowledged.

Lyra wandered down the hallway, happily skipping to her locker. She reached in and grabbed a small plastic container, popping the lid off. A little snack before going back to practice. And snack for today was a little something sweet to lighten up her mood; a confectionery cookie with mini-candies as chocolate chips. She nibbled on the cookie, pacing back and forth while deep in thought. Reaching for another one, she closed her locker and stepped away. She opened up the main entrance doors of the school, staying underneath the main entrance doors. She watched the rain fall outside, thankfully protected by the small roof above the double doors.

The thunder echoed in her ears, but that didn't bother her. She knew the inside was safe, she knew she would be alright. Besides, even if the power went out, there was plenty of cover out there.

As her body leaned against the doorway, a single person walked into the open foyer. She stayed hidden in the shadows, only a flash of lightning revealed her blank purple face. She slowly walked towards the ninja, almost... menacingly. No one was around but the two of them... and nothing was going to stop them.

She opened up the pendent, focusing it on the ninja. And soon enough; it began to work it's magic. Lyra's body began to glow a bright golden yellow. And she felt it. She looked down, quickly catching onto her body radiating. But she felt a burn, a burn that started to pitch through her body, as pain swept. Streams of yellow was being absorbed from her body and were slowly being pulled into the pendent.

The last remnants were contained, and so the pendent snapped shut. Lyra felt as if all of her energy had been exhausted, and she began to feel dizzy. Her head felt like it was pounding against her, and she just didn't have the energy to go anywhere or anything. Her legs wobbled and wiggled, and she tried to hold onto something to stop her fall, but it was too late. Her entire body fell forward and she collapsed onto the ground, blacking out.

Twilight looked down at the fallen student, her expression still not having any change.

"One down. Five to go."

She turned around, and walked away from the scene. It wouldn't do good if she had been caught on the spot, but she certainly wasn't going to attract too much attention towards her. And the front doors that she stood in front of, slowly closed. As if her body was not holding weight against them anymore.

Just down the hallway, another girl was coming through. Bon Bon, who was wandering around looking confused.

"Lyra? Lyra? You there?" Bon Bon asked, looking around. She looked down the left hall. And then down the right hall. Nowhere. Where could she have been? Well, no where else to look, she started to wander down the left wing of the school, she'd have to look for her one way or another.


Lyra's eyes jolted open. A cold chill hit her skin as she woke up. What happened? She felt something draining the life from her body, and then suddenly; blackout. What even happened? But wait; what happened around here!?

She looked up, gasping out of fear and shock. When she pulled herself up, she found herself in front of the school, like where she was standing before. But something wasn't right. The entire land she was in was... darkened. Cold. Creepy. Every movement she made echoed; her breathing, her feet slapping against the concrete, the wiggling of her body, everything. The entire walls of the school were covered in vines and plants, as if it had been abandoned for a long time. Dark clouds loomed over the skies, creating illusion of storms yet to come.

"H-Hello?" Lyra quaked. "Is anyone here?"

Her voice echoed throughout. No one replied. Her legs began to feel wobbly, and she folded up her arms, hugging herself out of fear.

"I really hope I'm not alone..."