• Published 3rd Jan 2019
  • 1,925 Views, 244 Comments

The Tournament Of Friendship - FourShadow



Following the events that went down at CHS, the Rainbooms are struggling to change themselves for the better. And with the upcoming Friendship Games, it might give them ample opportunity to do so. But will it be enough?

  • ...
4
 244
 1,925

Chapter 18: The Real Problem With Powers

Author's Note:

And we are back!

The afternoon hours were continuing to draw. There was still plenty of daylight outside, but that didn't help the demeanor of Trixie and her friends. Everyone was sitting at a dining table in Octavia's home, all with unamused faces, borderline deadpan included.

Trixie took a drink from her glass before putting it back down. "Superpowers."

Amethyst did too. "Superpowers," she spat.

"Superpowers," Octavia deadpanned.

Trixie took another swig of her drink and slammed it back down on the table. "People complain that they don't have superpowers, thinking that can make their lives so much easier. But you know something? If anything, it makes life even harder. I couldn't walk into a single room without making a single illusion."

Lyra nodded. "Here, here! You’re telling me. I couldn’t set one foot in the dark without teleporting to some random location in Canterlot."

Vinyl snorted with derision. "You think you have problems? I can’t touch a single piece of my technology without even frying it. I had to wear these!" She raised her hands up, showing the pair of electrical gloves she was wearing. "And that's just to make sure I didn’t zap myself while eating lunch.

Bon Bon moaned loudly in pain. "Please… please lets just have a quiet afternoon…" The poor baker held her head, trying to keep her head from pounding. Ever since that experience in the games, she had a massive headache, almost to the point where she had to lie down for a few hours.

"Well at least you didn’t send people flying across the room just by playing music. Every sound I make amplifies to an explosion! I can't even get my voice to be loud and clear now," Amethyst whispered, fearing for the others safety.

"I think it's completely fair to say it," Trixie said.

"SUPERPOWERS SUCK!!!" Everyone shouted.

Their clamor of anger was high enough that Bon Bon felt out of her chair and was just holding onto her head some more.

"I'm going to help get Bonnie onto the couch, you mind if...?" Lyra asked.

"No, go right ahead," Octavia said, nodding.

Carefully, Lyra got Bon Bon back onto her feet and slowly carried her over to the living room so she could lie down on the couch. Bon Bon slowly drifted asleep after a few moments, curling up to get nice and comfy. Lyra couldn't help but smile at how adorable she looked. She grabbed a blanket from off the side and placed it over the baker, who happily got herself comfortable underneath.

The geeky magician shook her head. "This is getting out of hand. We have to call the girls, maybe they’ll know what to do.

"They just got settled into their job, we can’t just call them and tell them to quit because of our problems!" Amethyst said.

Octavia pointed out, "But if we don’t, then whatever happening to us will only spiral out of control."

Trixie snapped her fingers. "Unless… unless, no wait. What if we tried to work with them?"

"What?" Octavia asked.

"Huh?" Vinyl's head tilted.

"Look, the Dazzlings are off in Applewood with their job, and I know we should call them, but we need the money! Lets try and figure these powers out on our own. Since Lyra and Bon Bon aren’t in the games anymore, then that can give us a chance to try and figure them out without bringing anyone in serious danger. Tomorrow, while the games are going on, we practice. Agreed?"

Everyone waited a moment or two before all simultaneously nodding in agreement.

"We can still check out the games, right?" Lyra asked.

"Of course!" Trixie said, smiling.

Octavia took a sip of her soda. "I know our powers are insane, but I think these are awesome. How many people can you say have superpowers, besides, if I can be honest, I think these could be useful." She said, grinning. "And imagine the surprise on the Sirens faces when they see our new powers. And with enough time, I think we can turn these curses into perks."

Vinyl looked at Octavia with a deadpan expression. "Why are there office supplies stuck to your head?"

Octavia turned her head around showing the right side of her head. Covered in staples, a pen, a pair of scissors, some metal paperclips, etc. Even her own cellphone was shown to be stuck on her head. "That’s just where I keep them."

Just then, they heard the sound of a phone ringing. Their heads turned to Vinyl.

"Don't look at me, my phone's fried," Vinyl pouted.

"I don't have mine on me at the moment," Amethyst said, holding her hands up.

But the sound of the source was becoming very clear. Right in front of them the entire time. All heads slowly looked at Octavia, seeing the phone on the side of her head ringing. The rocker looked up and rolled her eyes. "It's me, isn't it?"

They nodded.

Groaning, she reached her hand to try and hit the answer button. "I'll get it."

"Wait, let me," Lyra said. "Just tilt your head to the side."

Octavia did just that, although it felt quite strenuous as she kept it at that angle. And with a quick tap, Lyra swiped the button to the answer call, and pressed it to speaker phone.

"Hello?" Lyra asked, sitting back down.

"Oh, uh, Lyra, hey! Is Octavia here?" Flash asked.

"Yes, she is," Octavia said with a bored face.

"Oh, uh. Are you on speakerphone?"

"We are, Flash. Now what's up?" Trixie asked.

"Well... you might want to know something, and it's not gonna be pretty."

"You're already dating someone?" Amethyst asked, teasingly.

"... No. And it's not personal, this is serious."

"Oh. Well, okay, what's up?"

A heavy sighing was heard from the phone. "This isn't going to sound good... but it's Rarity. Cherry, she... she assaulted Rarity, okay?"

Everyone dropped dead silent.

"... Oh. Is... is she okay?"

"I don't know. I don't have her number, I was only able to call Rainbow Dash because Pinkie Pie accidentally gave me her number and not hers, do not ask why, you just don't question Pinkie!" A pause. "Look, just... I don't know. I thought you girls should know. I've already ended my friendship with her, but I didn't know what else to do. ... Girls?"

There was a moment of silence among the group. To be honest, none of them knew what to do in a situation like this. They reported the Rainbooms bullying acts before to no avail, but now that one of the bullies was the one suffering? And worse, from one of their own classmates no less?

"Anyone there?"

Trixie blinked. "Oh, we're still here Flash. Sorry, it's just... I can't believe she'd do that."

"You and me both," Flash sighed. "Look, I'll be frank. I don't know what to do. I want to call the principals, but I'm not sure if that will do more good or worse. I just thought you girls should know."

"Well, okay, we appreciate it Flash," Trixie replied. "Just take care of yourself, okay?"

"Okay. See you girls tomorrow!"

And in a click, the phone hung up.

"Great, just great..." Trixie's head hit the table. "Okay, so not only do we have superpowers, but now we have to worry about our own classmates physically assaulting the Rainbooms?"

Octavia's head tilted up. A malicious grin formed on her face. "You know--"

"NO!" Trixie barked. "If you're thinking about using your powers to assault Cherry back, I would think twice unless you want to be Canterlot Enemy Number 1?"

"Well, what should we do?"

Trixie threw her head back, eyes rolling in the back of her head.

"How about you call Principal Luna?" A bubbly voice asked.

Trixie's head went straight up. Leaning against a wall, numming on some ice cream, was Sonata Dusk.

"Sonata! Hey, you're back!" Lyra squeaked. "When did you--"

"--Illusion, Lyra. Just an illusion," Trixie deadpanned.

Lyra frowned. "Wait, hold on..."

Reaching from out of nowhere, she pulled out a katana blade. Reaching over, she hoped to tap the side of Sonata's shoulder, which went straight through her as if she wasn't even there.

"Just making sure, that's all," Lyra said, tucking the weapon away. "Also, Octavia, please do not tell your mom I had brought a weapon into your home."

Octavia gave her a wink.

"But still, just call the principals, tell them what happened," the illusion of Sonata said.

"What if they don't believe us?"

"They're the school principals, if something happens with their students, I think it's their responsibility, isn't it?" Sonata asked. "If something like this happens, the principals and staff should be notified about it."

Everyone had blanked.

"Huh. So Sonata in your head is a wise one?" Vinyl smirked.

Trixie giggled. "I uh... I might have also thought about what it'd be like if Sonata was wise like a wizard. But you know, she kinda does have a point, we should call them."

"See? Exactly. Sometimes if you don't know what to do, just ask the adults," Sonata said, before walking away.

"Wait, where are you going?"

"Oh, I'm leaving the room because Trixie's trying to get a grasp on every illusion that pops into her head," Sonata waved before vanishing before their eyes.

Everyone blinked.

"So that happened."

"Uh, excuse me?" Lyra interrupted. "Anyone else still wondering what are we going to do about Cherry? Shouldn't we talk to the principals?"

"Yeah..." A few voices droned.

"No, we should," Lyra said. "I may not like Rarity, but assault is still assault."

Everyone gave a few nods.

"I'll call them," Amethyst said, getting all eyes onto her.

"You?" Vinyl asked.

"Mmmhmm," Amethyst said with a straight face. "Before I was let back in this school, the principals made a decree that if there was any problem, they would hear my side of the story. And while I may not be Rarity's biggest fan, I'm not going to stand by and let her get assaulted like that."

She grabbed her cellphone on the table and hit the dial button. She held the phone up to her ear, waiting for the call. And soon enough, she heard someone on the other end answer her.

"Hi, Principal Luna?" Amethyst answered. "I need to talk to you about something. There's something you should know, and it's not going to be pretty..."