• Published 3rd Jan 2019
  • 1,930 Views, 244 Comments

The Tournament Of Friendship - FourShadow



Following the events that went down at CHS, the Rainbooms are struggling to change themselves for the better. And with the upcoming Friendship Games, it might give them ample opportunity to do so. But will it be enough?

  • ...
4
 244
 1,930

Chapter 9: Arrival of the Weekend

Author's Note:

Okay, so we are back. I'll be honest, I needed a few weeks of hiatus to get myself together, but now I feel like I'm back in the swing of things. I thank you all for your patience, and I hope from here I will be able to update content in a more regular fashion.

As always, a big thanks to Scholarly for his help, and I hope you all enjoy the chapter! :twilightsmile:

Nighttime came quickly in Canterlot City. Friday was coming to a close, and the weekend was well on it's way. Rainbow Dash was already asleep in bed. Much to the relief of her mother, Windy Whistles.

She peered cautiously into her daughter’s bedroom, Windy looked at the sleeping Dash, and smiled sadly, but with relief.

“Sleep well, Dashie," Windy whispered.

She quietly walked back to her own room. Her husband Bow was still up too, sitting on the side of the bed. He glanced over at Windy as she stepped into their bedroom.

“How is she?”

"She’s asleep. Thank goodness," Windy said.

"Yeah… I was starting to get worried.” Windy looked at him with a mild reproach. “Well, you know… more than before.”

Windy couldn't help but smile briefly at her husband as she climbed onto the bed, settling beneath the covers. Though the moment passes, and she turned sad again.

“Honey?”

Bow turned around to face her, speaking softly. “Yeah?”

“Do you think… that we could have done something different?”

Bow was confused. “Huh?”

“Y-you know… with Rainbow Dash?”

Bow didn't have a ready answer. He could only frown, listening to his wife as she went on.

“I mean, we’re her parents – why didn’t she tell us about any of what was happening? W-with that Sunset girl, with what she was being forced to do… w-what she did…”

Bow got up and set himself down by his wife, putting an arm around her comfortingly.

Windy was practically miserable. “Shouldn’t we have noticed something?” She sniffed, and Bow pulled her into a gentle hug, rubbing her back in reassurance.

Bow sighed. "I know. We should’ve – but we didn’t.” He patted her on the back. “I, I just thought she was going through a phase. A, a bad phase, b-but a phase…” he sighed. Both he and Windy hugged for the longest time.

“We need to talk to Rainbow. Really, really talk to her…”

Bow sighed again, but nodding, steeling himself. “Right. We’ll do it tomorrow.”

The two of them exchanged a quick kiss goodnight, and then tried to settle in for the night, and the morning ahead of them…


Morning came. The weekend had finally arrived, and Rainbow Dash slowly, reluctantly, managed to drag herself out of bed to face the day. She got up and faced herself in the mirror. Her hair was messy and sticking out on all ends.

She sighed, with a grudging relief. “Well, ‘least it’s Saturday…”

After changing out of her PJs and into regular clothes, she headed downstairs. Right now, the only thing on her mind was breakfast. But that soon changed when she arrived in the kitchen, and saw her parents waiting at the table, both of them looking quite serious.

“Uh, Mom? Dad?”

Bow looked at his daughter, dead in the eye. “Rainbow Dash… we need to talk. All of us.”

Rainbow Dash sighed again, a very weary and frustrated sound emitted. Like before, the day had only just started and she just wanted it to end. “Can’t it wait until after breakfast?” She pleaded.

Bow and Windy were taken aback.

“Oh! Uh, of course!”

“I think that’s a good idea… do you want me to fix you anything?”

Dash was noncommittal. “Mmhm.” She shrugged as she just picked out some cereal. “I dunno… I kinda feel like I’m gonna be read the riot act, so not really in the mood for a big breakfast.”

Bow frowned, as Windy looked hurt. “Rainbow, that’s not what this is about.”

“It’s not?”

“No, it’s not.” Bow firmly said. He got up and put an arm around Windy. “Eat up and then come on to the living room. We’ll talk there.”

Dash sat there for a moment, alone, as they leave. Then, listlessly, she eats her breakfast. The thought of what was to come killed the flavor of her cereal – it tasted bland, almost like cardboard.

Once she had finished her breakfast, Rainbow got up, bracing herself for the worst, as she paced into the living room where her parents were waiting. Seated on the couch at first but they stood up as she came out. Bow gestured to her daughter to sit down. Rainbow was a bit surprised – no ‘would you please’ or anything from her father, just the gesture to take a seat.

“So… what’s this about?”

Windy sat down beside her. Bow sighed, and started to talk. “Rainbow Dash… your mother and I are worried. About you.”

Dash looked away. “I know, I know…”

“Rainbow Dash. We’ve been worried for a good while now… but we just didn’t know how to say it. Or what to say.”

Dash blinked. This wasn't what she had originally expected.

Windy's voice was gentle. “Rainbow Dash, you know that we love you. So very much.”

Dash's face clenched up, thinking about the guilt. “I – I know…”

Bow frowned. “So much, that we didn’t do anything when you needed it.”

Dash looked up at him, then to her mother, in surprise. Windy again, used a gentle tone of voice. “Why didn’t you tell us about Sunset? About any of--of what happened?”

Rainbow Dash could practically feel her stomach churning. Sick, with fear and regret.

“We’re your parents, honey. We would have been there for you," Bow said.

Rainbow shook her head rapidly.

"Rainbow?”

“No… it wouldn’t have helped.”

“Dashie…” Windy took her daughter into a hug.

Dash sniffled, trying her hardest not to cry. “I’m sorry Mom… I’m so, so sorry, you guys…”

Bow sighed as he sat down by her too. “I’m sorry too. That we didn’t do something before… that you didn’t trust us to help you with this…”

Rainbow at this point was crying her eyes out. “It wouldn’t have helped, Dad! Sunset was… she w-was evil, she told us what she was going to do, and what we were g-gonna do, and if we didn’t help her…”, she made a miserable noise, and her father put an arm around her.

“We’re still your parents, Rainbow. We would have done something, anything…”

Dash whimpered, her father joining the hug fully. They sit there for a while, until finally Dash’s tears slowed down and came to a halt.

Dash: “I’m sorry…”

“It’s… all right, Dashie. Let’s just… keep trying, all right?”

Windy patted her back. “Keep on, sweetie. I know that you can beat this.”

Rainbow tried to smile. “T-thanks.” She gave her mom a quick, but loving, hug.

Bow smiled, playfully ruffling up her hair. “And I promise you, Rainbow, we’ll be better too. We’ll all try to fix this, together, got it?”

“Right…” For once, she managed more of a real smile now, a determined one. “And I promise, I’ll be better. I’m working on it, m-me and the girls. We’re gonna be in the Friendship Games, and we’re gonna do great! We’ll show everyone, that we’re better than…” her expression dropped a little, and said seriously, “Than what we were.”

Windy smiled. “I know you will.”

Rainbow looks at her mother, and smiling at her.

Bow, smiling tenderly, said “Hey… that’s my Rainbow Dash.”

And once more, they all shared a family hug.


Octavia stood outside over in a public park, somewhere over in a small picnic area, waiting for the rest of her friends. She could barely sleep through the night, with everything that was metal sticking to her. The piercings on her body were pretty much permanently glued to her, and she couldn't remove them. She now had her phone tucked inside of her jacket pocket which she had a heck of a time trying to dial for her friends.

Sulking on the wooden bench, she waited impatiently for her friends. Her foot kept tapping, but it turned into more furious tapping by the minute. Until--

"Hey Octavia!" Amethyst waved. She walked over to the bench with a small picnic basket, ready for the day and dressed in casual clothes and not her over the top 80s garb.

"Hey Amy," Octavia said, still sulking.

"Aww, what's wrong?"

"I didn't sleep. Everything is still sticking to my body, I'm a human magnet," Octavia frowned. "Also for your own safety, I would recommend if you have anything on you; earrings, piercings, jewelry, rings, remove it at once."

"Well I don't wear any jewelry, so I think I'm okay," Amethyst winked. "But if you're okay, I brought you a little somethin' to make you feel better."

"Yeah, what's that?"

"Well I got some rock and roll tracks that I thought you might like to listen to, to keep you motivated while we practice. I've got the Saddle Bush tracks, I've got Jade Jets, I've got the Top Guns, I've got it all!"

"And us!"

"AH!" Octavia almost fell back.

Literally right next to her was Lyra and Bon Bon with eager expressions.

"Don't do that, jeez," Octavia said, feeling her heart pounce.

"Ooh, sorry," Lyra blushed. "I always have a habit of showing up out of nowhere. Well, sometimes. Anyways! Amethyst called us over cause we thought we could help you. And being a partial ninja, I think I can help you learn your powers. If you wanna control your powers, we need to see the full extend of what you can do," Lyra chirped.

"How do we do that?"

"We test your abilities, find your strengths, weaknesses, etc era," Lyra said, raising her fingers up. "We need to tap into anything we can."

"And how do you propose we do that?"

Lyra grinned. In a cloud of smoke she vanished and came back with a small box of metallic items. Screws, nuts, bolts, you name it.

"Lets start with something simple," Lyra said. "So yesterday we found out you were incredibly metallic. And that meant almost anything with metal came at you. But how far does one have to be in order to attract?"

Lyra went running away from the picnic area holding the box of metal with her. She put the box down and held up a single bolt, waiting. But then suddenly, it started to wiggle and flew right out of her hand, sticking to Octavia's leggings. Then just to check, she backed away even farther, hiding under some trees. She lifted up a lug-nut, ready to test again.

No visible reaction occurred. She took a step closer. No visible reaction. Then another. And another, and another and another until the lug-nut escaped her fingers and attached itself to Octavia. Quickly she ran back to her, noticing Octavia's very deadpan expression.

"Well there's some good news. Apparently, the magnetic field has a limited range, so thankfully you won't be attracting everything in Canterlot," Lyra said, putting the box down and covering it up.

"Well it still doesn't help my case," Octavia shook her head.

"Not with that attitude," Bon Bon replied. "Now come on, I want you to try something. See that chair over that I mounted?" Bon Bon pointed in front of her.

"Yes."

"I want you to try levitating it. Force it to lift up and come to you," Bon Bon suggested.

"You realize I just figured out I had powers yesterday, right?" Octavia questioned. "I'm still attracting things at random, I'm not going to just magically learn it in a micro-second."

"Maybe not, but you can at least practice," Bon Bon said. "It took me years to become a master baker. If I can do it, then you can master metal bending."

Octavia looked back at the chair with an unsure expression, but shrugged. "Well, I suppose I should try." She stood back up, and stared at the chair. "I just need to focus."

"Exactly. Harness all of your brain-power on that chair. Close everything out around you, and just focus on that chair," Lyra said.

Taking her advice, Octavia's eyes slowly squinted and focused on the chair. She raised her hand up, trying to see if it could be manipulated by a simple hand trick. Locking on, she watched as the chair started to wobble and shake, slowly rattling on the cinder block path. Until it lifted itself up into the air, coming at her like a cannonball.

"Oh no," Octavia whimpered just before the wind was knocked out of her by the chair.

She fell on her back again, and the chair was laying on top of her body. Lyra and Amethyst managed to pry the chair off of her, and got the poor rocker back on her feet.

"Maybe we should try methods that don't involve trying to hurt me," Octavia said, plucking another bolt off her jacket.

"Wait, I've got an idea. What if we used a bag of nails?" Bon Bon asked.

"NO!" Everyone shouted.

The baker flinched and held her hands up in protest. "I was just kidding! Besides, I thought it was just stick to her, that's all. What, did you think I was going to release them all at once?"

Everyone was staring at Bon Bon with horrified expressions.

"There are no words to describe how horrific that scenario is," Amethyst shivered. But at that very moment she could feel a strange buzzing inside her pants pocket. "Oh wait, hold on," Amethyst said, reaching into her pants pocket. "Oh, it's Trixie." With a single touch she hit answer. "Hey, Trixie, what's up?"

"Please get over here, now!" Trixie shouted.

"Whoa, whoa, hey," Amethyst said, moving the phone away from her ear. Her voice was incredibly loud and it wasn't the volume she had anticipated. "Trixie, what's wrong?"

"Look, it's hard to explain, please, just get over here, now!" Trixie cried.

"Trixie, come on, what's so wrong? What is the problem?"

Trixie paused for a long period of time. "Promise you won't laugh?"

"I promise."

Trixie waited a moment or two, until she finally spoke.

"There is an alligator in my bedroom."