• Published 1st Nov 2017
  • 7,741 Views, 289 Comments

It takes a village - Sarcastic Brony



When Anon is left with a child, he must find the strength to take care of her.

  • ...
24
 289
 7,741

The choice

Anon is looking off into the ceiling, deep in thought. Today’s the day. He’s already invited the girls over to his house to talk. None of them have a clue as to why he called them, except Rainbow. This isn’t going to be easy, but before he can find himself falling into despair, he feels Faith crawling up his leg. He looks down at her with a smile, picks her up and sets her beside him on the couch.

“Hey there, Missy. How are you today?”

“Dada,” she says reaching for him.

Without a word, he picks her up and hugs her. This feels right. It’s hard for him to explain, but ever since coming to Equestria, Anon has never had a purpose. He quietly lived his life, partying, trying his best to enjoy having been tossed into a world unlike his own. While he didn’t recognize it at the time, being in this place as the only human slowly weighed on him.

Then, like a miracle, Faith was there. Sure, even now, he’s terrified if he’s doing the right things when raising her, but that’s just proof of how much he loves her and cares about the future. He didn’t care about that type of stuff without her, but now he thinks of everything he can improve for Faith. Since getting her, he’s been working hard and saving the extra bits he has for a new home.

It may take a few years, but he hopes by the time she’s older he’ll have a room for her by then. There’s also the countless other thoughts he has about Faith, such as taking care of her when she gets sick or when others try to bully her. A shot of anger hits Anon; he’d like nothing more than to deck a filly or colt in the face that’s badmouthing his daughter, but sadly that’s not an option.

He’s considered teaching her to fight, but is still on the fence about that. Above all else, though, he wants her always to know that he loves her and that she can come to him for anything. Then there’s also the magic inside of her. If she can cast spells, he wonders what types and how powerful she will become. That’s an aspect he can’t wrap his head around and hopes Twilight will assist with.

Though, after today, he’s not too sure what will happen. Anon pulls away from his hug with Faith, and she has the broadest smile he’s ever seen on her face.

“Daddy loves you very much, Faith.”

She’s already losing concentration and wanting to explore, so, with a chuckle, Anon lets her loose. His thoughts once again return to the future; all of his hopes and concerns. The teenage years are going to be tough. Not only that, but Faith is female, so what aspects of humanity will shine through at that time? He shakes that away; that’s a wait a see kind of age, and not something he can plan for in advance.

There’s also school. Once he gets his home, he wants to continue to save and send Faith to the fancier schools up in Canterlot. If she goes there, she can work anywhere. That’s how much those diplomas speak in this world, and Anon wants to give her every possible chance he can give her. Then, when she’s all grown up, she’ll set off on her own adventure.

Anon can feel his eyes watering. That’s many years away, but it’ll happen eventually. Before he can get too down in the dumps, a knock rings out through his home. To which he can once again see Faith already crawling to the source of the sound. He walks over and snatches her up before opening the door. There, he finds all his friends standing in wait.

“Thank you, girls, for coming by.” Anon waves them inside. “Get comfortable.”

They all come in without saying a word and make their way into the living room. Alright, time for him to get this over with. Anon looks down at Faith once more to reassure himself before entering the living room, setting Faith into her pen and facing his friends.

“I’m sure many of you are wondering why I’ve called you here.”

“It’s certainly out of the blue,” AJ remarks.

“While curious, I’m not that bothered, as I get to see Faith.” Rarity comes in.

“Is it another party?!” Pinkie is vibrating in excitement.

“No... This is rather serious.” Anon isn’t going to play nice, even if it hurts him. “Rainbow and I spoke yesterday about what she did, and a lot of interesting things came out.” All the girls look her way with a raised brow. “I’m not one who likes to beat around the bush, so I’m just going to say it.” Anon takes a long breath in; he's rehearsed this a thousand times in his head last night and this morning. “I am not interested in a relationship.”

“E-excuse me?” Twilight comes in. “Am I missing something here?”

“Rainbow has stated that some of you may be interested in me, I’m not sure which, as she wasn’t specific.” Anon casts a knowing glance at Rainbow before returning his attention to the group. “So, I brought you all here to be sure. I love Faith. She’s all I want to love right now, and I’m sorry to be so blunt, but I don’t have time for anything like that in my life.” Anon looks slightly away in shame. “Even if I did, I’d rather spent it with Faith. You girls have been good to me, and if some of you do like me, I’m happy. Truly, I am. But that’s not in the cards right now and most likely won’t be for a very long time.”

Anon can’t believe he’s doing this, but it’s what feels right inside. “I hope you can understand, and if you hate me because of this, then that’s fine, but please don’t let that affect how you treat my daughter. I appreciate all you’ve done for me, so I hope we can move past this and focus on other things.”

The room is silent at the moment, and Anon sweeps his gaze onto everyone there. Rarity and AJ look hurt, Pinkie too but not so much. Rainbow looks as if she didn’t expect this outcome and both Twilight and Fluttershy appear confused.

“O-Ok...” Twilight speaks up. “I guess that’s understandable?” She looks around nervously. “If that’s all, I have a few things I need to work on in the library.”

“Yes, that’s all. Thank you for coming by.”

Twilight gets out of her seat, but stops by to hug Faith before leaving, Fluttershy not too far behind her. Pinkie twiddles her hooves nervously.

“I-uh... I’ll go now.” She gets up and leaves just as quickly as the other girls did.

Rarity clears her throat. “Well, I can perfectly understand your commitment. Whoever these mares are that are interested, I wish them all the luck in the future.” She walks up to Faith as Anon catches a sad smile on the corner of her lips. “Goodnight, Faith.”

Faith reaches up to Rarity. “Mama.”

Leaning down, Rarity lets Faith grab her for a moment before kissing her on the head and leaving. Anon looks back to AJ and Rainbow, the last two.

“Um, I understand the same as Rarity,” AJ states. “Like how I gotta work the farm, you gotta take care of your girl. I’m sure any mare can understand that.” With her head held high, AJ walks over to Faith with a smile. “Night, Darlin.” A single tip of her hat is enough as she leaves.

“Why?” Anon turns back to Rainbow as she looks at him confused. “Why deny everyone?”

“Rainbow, what I said is exactly how I feel. I love my daughter and want to give her all of the time I have. So, I’m sorry, but I’m not looking for a relationship right now.”

“Alright,” Rainbow looks rather down in the dumps. “I guess this is it, then?”

“We can still be friends, but as far as anything else? Yeah, this is it.”

Anon can see her clench her teeth. However, the decision is made.

“Fine...” Rainbow walks up to Faith, and her cold features melt as she looks down at her. “Later, Kid.”

Just like that, all of the girls are gone, and Anon is left alone. That was intense, and even now he’s questioning if that was the right choice, but he knows that it was. He walks over to the pen where Faith is just standing there looking at him. He picks her up as she squeals in delight.

“I love you, Faith. I always will.”