• Published 1st Nov 2017
  • 7,739 Views, 289 Comments

It takes a village - Sarcastic Brony



When Anon is left with a child, he must find the strength to take care of her.

  • ...
24
 289
 7,739

Morning hours

Anon couldn’t get to sleep. Once he was up, he stayed up. So, for the two hours he had before heading over to AJ’s, he went around the house to make sure everything was cleaned up. He never realized how dirty things were until he starting thinking about Faith. Such as her walking around and touching things. Sure, she can’t do that stuff now, but it was a thought that spurred Anon to make sure whatever she interacted with was clean.

It took some time, but his entire house became spotless. All the beer bottles had been put into the recycle bin, and all the dishes were set out to dry. He still has thirty minutes left before heading over to the farm. So he decided to visit Twilight. It’s early, but Twilight is an early riser, usually busying herself with things from Celestia. So he knows he won’t be bothering her.

Anon walks up the stairs and checks on Faith. Sound asleep. He gets her basket ready and then gently lifts her from the crib and sets her snuggly into the basket. She stirs a bit but then settles in. Alright, she’s ready, but now Anon needs to make sure he’s good to go. After taking a few minutes to clean up, he picks up the basket Faith is in and heads off toward Twilights.


Anon is let in by the guards without hesitation this time around. They probably know he has a kid and don’t want her waiting out in the cold. He makes sure to give them a small nod in thanks before entering the castle. Anon is standing in the main room of the crystal castle.

“Twilight?” Anon calls out.

“Anon?” a voice echoes from deep within.

“Yeah. Are you busy?”

“Not at all! One second.”

Anon waits patiently for her and checks on Faith while he waits. She’s still sleeping peacefully. It’s always odd for Anon to admit that he now has a daughter, but with each passing moment, he feels his worries fade away. Twilight soon enters the main room and instantly looks from Anon to the basket.

“Is Faith doing fine?” she asks, coming closer to inspect Faith.

“More than fine. I just wanted to ask you a few th-” Anon stops when he notices Twilight’s distant gaze. “Twi?” She doesn’t respond until he snaps his fingers by her ear. “Twi?”

She shakes from her stupor and looks at Anon with a blush.

“Sorry about that. Just a herd thing.”

“Yeah, that’s something I wanted more info on. Could you explain why everyone is acting so weird when they’re around Faith?”

Twilight nods her head in understanding. “I get it. It’s probably weird for you, but it’s honestly normal for us ponies. We tend to get very protective around foals that don’t have a mare in their life. I know I talked about the herd mentality briefly, but it’s very complex and something most don’t talk about as it’s just a way of life.”

Twilight takes a moment to think about how to answer Anon’s question best.

“Our behavior is geared towards survival. We had dwindling numbers, and every foal was important for our continued existence. This was before we became civilized, but that trait is still ingrained in us.”

“Is that why Rainbow was so willing to nurse Faith?”

“Is that weird?” Twilight asks confused.

“Yes, Twilight. It’s bizarre. Rainbow is super tomboy-like. Think rationally. Do you think she’d be so willing to nurse my kid?”

Twilight is trying hard to understand what Anon is saying and shakes her head a few times to clear her baser instincts.

“I get what you’re trying to say, but deep down it doesn’t apply. Your child was in need, and even I feel an urge to help. I know Rainbow can act like a tomboy, as you say, but she’s a mare at the end of the day.”

“Doesn’t it bother you that you have no control over how you feel?”

Twilight looks up at Anon and shakes her head some.

“Anon, don’t misunderstand what I’ve been talking about. Our herd mentality is only the amplification of how we feel. We care about you and your daughter, and we want to help you as much as we can. Even if we didn’t have this herd trait, we’d still be as helpful as we have been. It’s just… the trait makes our feelings a priority for a small amount of time. It’s not controlling us or making us feel any different than we did before. Think of it kind of like a reaction thing. When a foal is in trouble, most just act. They don’t think, but deep down, it’s a choice they would’ve made if they could think as fast as they act.”

Oh man... This is as complicated as Anon expected.

“So, you’re not being controlled?”

“Not in the same way you’re probably thinking.”

“I’ll take your word on that, Twi.”

Twilight shrugs. “You better get used to it, Anon. A lot of mares are going to act like that once everypony knows about Faith.”

This is so weird. Too weird. All Anon can do is just be grateful that his friends are so willing to help and aren’t under some odd kind of mind control.

“Well, thanks for the warning,” Anon relents.

“So... Rainbow nursed Faith?”

Anon nods. “Yeah, I forgot to feed her and thankfully Rainbow was there.”

“That’s nice. Do you have plans for keeping her fed?”

“Um, that’s another reason why I came. Does baby food exist? How long until she can eat solids?”

“That’s easy to answer. She must be fed for at least six months with milk from a mare. This special milk contains antibodies that will help keep her from getting sick. After that, you can feed her baby food. Mashed apples are great or some other fruits and vegetables. I’m not too sure how long it’ll be until she can eat solids on her own or when her teeth will come in, but I’m sure Fluttershy will know more than I do.”

Anon nods. “Every bit helps. Thank you, Twi.”

“No problem!” Twilight looks from Anon to Faith’s basket. “Anon, may I ask a favor?”

“With how much you’re helping? Sure.”

“Don’t take this the wrong way, but can I feed Faith?”

This again... It’s true that Faith hasn’t eaten yet and Applejack will most likely want Anon to work as soon as he arrives so he can’t ask her to feed Faith. Anon needs to accept this stuff and just let it happen.

“Um, sure...” Anon hesitates some.

“Sorry, I just have this urge and I know you came straight here from your home, so I thought it'd be efficient for me to feed her before you head off to Applejack’s.”

“Are you sure you’re not being mind controlled?” Anon wants to make sure.

Twilight chuckles at that as she picks up Faith from her basket with her magic and lays on her side, setting Faith by her stomach.

“Don’t be silly, Anon. I will also admit I’m rather curious about the endorphin rush I’ve been reading about when nursing a foal.”

“Is that why Rainbow Dash was talking about ‘saving the world?’”

Twilight smiles as she looks at Faith who is starting to wake up. She seems to be familiar with this scene now as she instantly latches onto Twilight’s teat. Twilight jumps slightly like Rainbow did, but settles down as she looks at Anon.

“Y-Yes... I think I feel it now. It’s certainly an odd feeling. It’s interesting to know my body is always ready to produce milk for a foal despite never having nursed one. It’s fascinating in a way.”

“At least you’re having fun with it,” Anon remarks.

“Fun isn’t the right word. It just feels nice doing something so important. I know I’m an Element of Harmony. I’ve saved Equestria dozens of times. But something about this simple act makes me feel as if I’m doing more. It’s personal in a way, and I know that I’m helping your child grow into a strong mare one day.”

Well, that was a nice thought for Twilight to have. Anon isn’t sure what to say to that, but it’s nice knowing Twilight is so willing to help. Not just Twilight, but all his friends.

“Well, I already have Rarity teaching Faith how to be a lady. She’ll probably need a proper teacher too.”

Twilight looks up at Anon with a huge blush on her face.

“M-Me, a teacher?”

Anon nods. “You’re the smartest mare around.”

Twilight smiles at that as she looks down at Faith.

“My first student?” She then looks back up to Anon with glistening eyes. “Sorry, I don’t want to cry right now, but the rush of emotions from nursing your daughter is making that a bit difficult.”

“Don’t worry, Twi. I get it, kinda.”

“I wonder if I can teach her magic?” Twilight asks as she looks down at Faith. “She doesn’t have a horn, but maybe that’s normal for a hybrid?”

“I’ll, um... Let you deal with that.”

Anon doesn’t want to imagine his daughter casting spells. That’s just too much for him right now. It takes a few minutes, but eventually, Faith ends up eating her fill.

“Your daughter is properly fed,” Twilight says, returning Faith to her basket. “If you need anything else, don’t hesitate to ask.”

Anon picks up the basket Faith is in and can see that she fell asleep. He then looks over to one of the clocks on the wall and notices it’s almost time for him to head on over to AJ’s.

“Thanks again, Twi. I’ll be sure to come by to visit.”

“Perfect. I’ll need some time preparing an in-depth schedule for how I’ll teach your daughter when she’s older.”

Anon rolls his eyes with a smile. “Alright, Twilight. I’ll see you later.”

“Bye!” Twilight waves as Anon waves back and walks out the door.

Now that’s been taken care of. Time to get to work.