• Published 1st Nov 2017
  • 7,735 Views, 289 Comments

It takes a village - Sarcastic Brony



When Anon is left with a child, he must find the strength to take care of her.

  • ...
24
 289
 7,735

Prepping

Anon is slowly making his way back to his home. A few bags in each hand weigh him down as he trudges along. Working three jobs is starting to become a bit much for him, but it’ll all be worth it in the end. Though, if he could change anything, it’s the hours for each pony. Early morning is still working the farm with Applejack, and while his endurance and strength have improved, he's left sore as he moves to his other two jobs.

Pinkie is still his lunchtime job, and she’s just as crazy as always. Then there’s his new job, being Twilight and Celestia’s guinea pig. They found a lot of unusual stuff with his body; mainly how he’s super potent, suggesting he’s the only species on this planet that can create offspring with anything that has a reproductive system.

Anon wasn’t aware of it at the time, but Equestria has been facing a crisis. The male population has been diminishing dramatically since Celestia and Luna took the throne from Discord. Because of Anon’s… interesting viability… they’ve been trying to reverse engineer his genes to try and help males become more potent with specific sex genes.

It’s a lot of strange magic that Anon can hardly grasp, but Celestia is paying him well for his time, and it’s why he’s tolerated all the poking and prodding from Twilight for as long as he has. Still, most days, he comes home late, around six or so, and has just enough time to make dinner before going to bed and starting the day all over again.

Not that he’s complaining, all of the money he’s saving is going towards a great cause. He opens the door and walks into the living room and falls onto the couch, setting the bags onto the floor for a moment. He lets out a long sigh as he relaxes his aching bones. However, before he can get too comfortable, he can hear the thuds of something running down the stairs.

“Faith! What did I say about running down those stairs!”

She comes rounding the corner with a huge smile on her face. “Not to run down them!”

She launches herself at him, and he quickly grabs and hugs her. He can’t stay mad at her when she does this. A weakness she’s acutely aware of.

“How’s my big girl doing?” he asks, leaning back to look her over. She’s wearing a yellow sundress with flowers on it. “How old are you going to be? Twenty three? Twenty four?”

She giggles. “No, Daddy! I’m going to be seven!”

“Seven!? Here I believed you were already an adult. Are you excited about your birthday?”

“Of course! I get to invite all my friends!”

“Did you send out the invites?” She nods. “Even to your aunts?”

“Yup!” She smiles. “Getting the one to Rainbow was a challenge, but Scootaloo helped.”

Anon gets up with her in his hands but sets her down as he reach for the groceries. “Tell me about school while I get dinner ready.”

“Well, there was this boy who was mean, but then Scootaloo and Applebloom taught him a lesson.”

“Did they?” Anon asks, concerned. “No one got hurt, right?”

She shakes her head. “Nope! They talked with him away from me, and when they came back, he was sorry.”

Anon smiles nervously. “Figures. Those three have always been overly protective of Faith, even in their teenage years.” “What about Sweetie Belle?”

“She had to leave early to help Rarity.”

“Alright.” Anon starts to set all the food onto the counter. “Want to help?” She nods happily as he sets some vegetables in front of her. “Give these a good wash. I’ll prepare the meat.”

“What are we eating?”

“Baked fish and steamed vegetables.”

“My favorite!” she shouts as she gets to cleaning what Anon gave her.

Having a girl that’s mixed between a human and pony has its perks. She’s not a picky eater. Whether it’s meat or vegetables, she’ll eat anything set in front of her. Anon is also grateful she has so many good friends to help her with whatever bully problems she may have at school. While a few times he did come home to find her crying in their room, she always knew that he loved her and that went a long way.

Nowadays, she doesn’t even care what ponies say about her looks. She ignores them with a smile, but that’s if they’re even lucky enough to say anything before then, as the Crusaders are as thick as thieves with Faith. Anon has heard tale from Rainbow that Scootaloo and Applebloom jumped an older colt after he pushed Faith.

He didn’t stand a chance against those two, and after that day, he left Faith alone. That’s one of a few times they got physical for Faith, but every other time they’ve just intimated anypony who dared to try and bully her. They’ve grown a lot since they were fillies; it won’t be long before they’re mares, ready to set off on their own, but he knows they'll always remain close to Faith.

Those three aren’t Faith’s only friends. She has a few fillies and colts that she hangs around with, many of which Anon expects to see at the party. They seem like a good bunch and haven’t tried to steer Faith into any shenanigans, which the Crusaders attempt to do every so often.

“All done!” Faith calls from atop her chair that’s beside the sink.

Anon looks over and gives a nod to her work. “Nice job. Think you can handle slicing it?”

“Can I?”

“Just be careful and take your time.” Anon hands her a knife, which she takes before moving her chair to the cutting board. He keeps an eye on her as she lines up some carrots. “Cat paw, like I taught you.”

“Meow!” She nods, gripping the vegetable with her nails like a claw.

“The fat part of the blade flush with your first knuckle?”

“Yup!”

“Alright, down and forward.” She slices the carrots perfectly and no cuts. “Good job. Take your time. I still have to prepare the meat.”

“I’m on it!”

While preparing the meat, Anon makes sure to keep a close eye on her. She’s a fast learner and picked up how to properly handle a knife quickly, always curious and eager to learn about new things. Anon covers the fish after seasoning it and puts it into the oven. With that all set, he walks behind Faith.

She’s moved on to the broccoli, but she’s cutting it like the carrot. He walks behind her and holds the knife while it’s in her hand.

“Cut here,” he instructs and moves the blade to the neck and pushes down. “Now you have to pick each piece off by hand. Like you’re making little trees.”

“Oh.” Faith nods, intrigued.

“That way, they still have a lot of that unique taste in them. If you cut too finely, all of it will be lost or fuse with the other vegetables. Got it?”

“Got it!” Anon reaches for another knife, but Faith stops him. “I got this, Daddy!”

He puts his hands up. “Alright, leaving it in your hands, Missy.”

She smiles at him before returning her attention to the cutting board. Anon walks over to the table and sits down while he watches her. She’s growing up so fast; it feels like yesterday he found Faith on his front doorstep. Now look at her. She’s already prepping food like a pro.

“Any homework?”

She shakes her head. “Cheerilee said since my birthday is coming up she wasn’t going to give me homework.”

“That so?” Anon drums his fingers on the table. “Very well... Anything else I should know about?”

“Nope!” She shakes her head. “Just get ready for this awesome party!”

“I will be.”

Anon watches his daughter as she slowly works on their meal. He’s waited so long for this day to come and he’s sure Faith will love the gift he got her.