• Published 26th Oct 2017
  • 579 Views, 2 Comments

Dragons Don't Dream - DaveDotExe



There's a reason dragons don't dream, and our protagonist Spike finds out why.

  • ...
 2
 579

Dragons Can't Dream

Spike lay in the hospital bed, Twilight by his side. There was a bouquet of flowers nicely bunched, sent by both Rarity and Fluttershy as some form of a 'Get Well Soon' message. The hospital Spike lay in smelled like disinfectant and had white walls, with no stains or paint peeling off them.

"I'm so sorry this had to happen to you Spike, honestly," Twilight said, with a tone of sincerity.

"It was okay, I mean It was just a bit of salt," Spike replied shortly afterward.

"Bit of salt?" Twilight repeated "There was enough salt to kill you! The nurse said you were super lucky to survive!"

"I know, I know, but I got something out of it!"

"Really Spike? I know you joke every now and then but come on a friendship lesson?"

Twilight levitated a mug, as steam and vapor rose up from it, swirling and disintegrating into thin air. It was followed by the smell of black coffee, the way Twilight liked it.

"I had a dream Twilight, a dream!" Spike said in joy.

Twilight took a spit-take and dropped her mug simultaneously, making a loud crack, as the mug split into many fragments of its original form.

"A what Spike?"

"A dream Twilight, I was a God! I controlled the universe! And I want to have more dreams so my dreams come true!"

"That's really funny Spike but dragons like you don't dream. Also, you said dream an awful lot there,"

"Okay yeah I guess, but why can't I dream?"

"I'll tell you when you're older. But honestly Spike, that was a funny joke! In fact, you made me drop my mug,"

"I'm not joking Twilight!" Spike said, angrily.

"Maybe it's the after-effects of the morphine when you broke your arm on your LSD trip," Twilight said in deep thought, "well, you're super tired I bet! It's been a long day and a Dragon needs rest." Twilight smiled and kissed Spike on the forehead.

"Goodnight Spike,"

"Goodnight Twilight."


Spike awoke, the Hospital was empty, a feeling of dread hung over him. He wanted to get out of bed and walk. So he did. Unhooking his IV machine, He walked around the hospital room. He went to open the door and hesitated. His natural instinct told him not to open it, and to keep it closed. His curiosity, however, fought with equal, if not, more strength. He put his claw on the doorknob and lay it rest there, spending minutes contemplating whether or not he should open the door.

Suddenly the windows flung open

Spike turned to see Princess Luna entering his hospital room.

"Oh Hi Princess Luna!" Spike said, mostly in surprise.

"Spike take your claw away from the door," Luna spoke in a stern manner.

Spike took his claw away from the doorknob.

"You come to visit me, Princess Luna? I'm fine honestly it was just a prank gone wrong-"

"Spike, this is a dream, and this is very odd. A dragon can't dream,"

"That's what Twilight told me! But she wouldn't tell me why,"

"I suppose you are old enough to know, but you must prepare yourself," Princess Luna said remorsefully.

"I'm ready," Spike said, fueled by confidence.

"Okay then Spike, get ready it's going to be a long one," Luna spoke.

Spike hopped onto the chair where Twilight sat beforehand.

Luna then spoke;

Spike, long, long ago, before my sister Tia and I were conceived, there were dragons. Dragons that dreamed. These dragons were much more civilized than ponies and had much higher morals. An entire civilization of them ruled over the land.
These dragons would get their necessities through bartering, or trading. If a trade wasn't good enough, they would pass.
If there was a good trade, they would accept. Their society was simple until a dragon invented currency. Shiny stones in the form of small saucers or discs. He called them bits. This caused a drastic change in dragon society. They began to fight,
steal and conquer for their own well-being, not others. Their greedy nature took them over, like a sick disease. Fighting and hatred had resulted in a mass slaughtering, in which dragons turned on one another. Killing and slaughtering for their own excitement and for materialistic objects they desired but didn't possess. This had gone on until greed was all they thought of. No optimism in their lives, no happiness, no joy. This stressful lifestyle led to them losing their ability to dream, for their greed has taken over, and no dragon was pure. Every dragon has greed flowing in their bloodstream, even you Spike. But it had laid dormant for a long time, and you were raised correctly, not in dragon terms. You strived for friendship and love and happiness, not gems, gold and diamonds. Eventually, their lifestyle eradicated the dragons and made their numbers drop to the tens of thousands, then thousands, then hundreds. These dragons spread out across Equestria, starting colonies of their own. All of them died out, except for the one your friend Ember rules. Ponies came along and colonized Equestria. Spike, long story short, dragons had a greed, even dreams couldn't fulfill, and only stealing and heresy could fulfill it.

Spike looked at Luna, tears welling in his emerald eyes.

"T-t-that's so dark," Spike said.

"Spike, open the door. Open the door and see what will happen when greed takes you and what will happen to everybody,"

"O-o-okay."

Spike hopped off the bed and trudged to the door, opening it and seeing ponyville. Something was odd though, no-pony was around. Everything was deserted. Houses had broken windows, some were crushed. In the distance, he saw a purple alicorn. Twilight. She strode, with a torn, brown robe, loosely put around her. Out of the houses, emerged a large purple dragon, spines on the back were green and no wings. It was obviously spike. Spike roared, making Twilight's robe float into the wind, revealing only one wing, the other amputated and a useless limb. Her horn had chipped off, and her cutie mark had a slash on it. Then, suddenly, Spikepicked up Twilight and opened it's mouth

"Twilight no!" Spike leaped out, but Luna used her magic to pull him back. Luna slammed the door shut.

"Now you see what greed can cause?"

"Yes. Yes I do," Spike said, a small river of tears flowing down his cheeks.

"Go on Spike, you can wake up now, for it is day. And remember why Dragons Don't Dream."


Spike awoke to Twilight reading a book and sipping out of a new mug. Spike sat up.

"Any dreams Spike?" Twilight said with sarcasm.

"Actually, yes, and I've got alot to tell you,"

"Oh really? Go on, I've got a mug full of coffee I'm sure it'll last."

"Get comfortabe Twilight. It's gonna be long."

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading. Was it decent? Was it not decent? Was it a tear jerker? I don't care so long as you enjoyed. Constructive criticsm down there.
\
\
\
\
V

Comments ( 2 )

:moustache: So what was that dream I had with Rarity and the house made of ice cream?
:raritystarry: Vanilla Oat Swirl Supreme!
:facehoof:

8512325
Its just an Alternate universe

Login or register to comment