• Published 18th Oct 2017
  • 1,366 Views, 218 Comments

My Little Pony: The Rise of Warfang - XFangHeartX



When a young filly named Moonlight Essence shows up at the Castle of Friendship, Twilight can't seem to make sense of it...until word spreads of wolf attacks throughout Equestria.

  • ...
3
 218
 1,366

Ch. 17- Darkness

"She's dead..."

Those two words...so simple, and yet so heavy...they echoed inside Twilight's mind. The purple alicorn stared at the lifeless body of Moonlight, her eyes wide in shock and disbelief, just like her friends. Even Swiftclaw and Stormhowl seemed horrified by the revelation of Moonlight's death.

As for Warfang, he just stood there...giving out a howling laugh at Moonlight's sacrfice.

"Foolish filly," he said. "She chose her own demise!"

"...Father...how could you?" Stormhowl asked. "She was...she was just a child!"

Warfang's eyes went wide as he glanced over at his oldest son.

"...Are you joking?" he asked. "You've shed just as much blood of these accursed ponies as I have! And what's this I see?! Even you, my prodigy, have aligned yourself with the weaker species?!"

"Swiftclaw made me see the light," said Stormhowl. "Father...all this needless bloodshed and terror...it needs to end!"

"...I won't listen to a wolf who no longer has his pride," said Warfang. "You...you are just as dead to me as Swiftclaw and that stupid unicorn!"

Though he tried not to show it, Stormhowl subtly cringed at those words, which prompted Swiftclaw and even Fluttershy to glance up at him, worriedly. As for Twilight, she silently approached Moonlight's motionless corpse, her mane covering her eyes. She bit her lip and nudged the filly, slightly, futilely hoping for a reaction. Spike attempted to stop her...but he shrunk back.

As for the other ponies...they looked downright furious as they glared at Warfang, who smirked at them in a smug manner.

"You ain't gonna get away with this, Warfang..." Applejack hissed.

"Oh, but I believe I will," Warfang replied...before he held something up in his paw: the Stone of Wishes.

"Oh, no!" Starlight cried.

"Oh, yes," Warfang replied. "At last...the Stone of Wishes is finally mine." On that, he used his magic to levitate the stone and clasp the chain around his neck...and not long after, the gem began to flash a bright, fiery red, forcing everypony and wolf to shield their eyes.

"W-what's happening?!" Rarity asked, worriedly.

"I don't know!!" Rainbow Dash answered.

Down in the town below, everypony and even every wolf in Canterlot looked up upon seeing the glowing red light coming from the castle, some staring in awe, others in fear. Even the wolves themselves seemed uneasy as the glow intensified, while Shining Armor, Cadence, and Flurry came out to see, as well.

"Shining Armor...what is that?!" Cadence asked, apprehensively.

"...I'm almost afraid to find out," Shining Armor answered.

Celestia and Luna soon stood outside the castle and looked up towards the roof, both of them staring up with horror etched on their faces.

"...It's starting...!" Celestia whispered.

As for Warfang...he chuckled darkly as his body began to glow along with the stone, as well as his good eye.

"Yes...yes!!" he exclaimed, the spikes on his helmet beginning to flash a fiery red aura. "The power...the absolute POWER!!!" Not long after, he shot a beam into the sky, and in doing so, dark clouds began to take form and swirl over Canterlot, with dark red lightning bolts cracking the heavens. The wind blew wildly, threatening to blow the ponies, Spike, and the Wolf Princes off the roof had they not held on tight enough. The only one who didn't seem to take any notice was Twilight, who was still trying in vain to revive Moonlight.

"...It's all mine, now," Warfang said with a toothy grin. "Equestria and all in it...they are mine to rule!!" The spikes on his helmet then shot out hundreds of beams of dark red light...which hit everypony and even wolf in Canterlot...especially Shining Armor, Cadence, Luna, and Celestia, who all cried out in pain.

"What the hell is King Warfang doing?!" asked one of the wolves that had been hit.

"I...I don't know...but this certainly wasn't part of the plan!" answered another.

"Rrrgh...Shining...Armor!!" Cadence cried.

"I-it's okay, Cadence!!" Shining Armor reassured, trying to fight off the magic...but it was no use.

"And now...all of you," Warfang boomed, "I command you...BOW TO ME!!!!"

On that, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Spike, Starlight, Stormhowl, Swiftclaw, and all in Canterlot were soon forced to bow before Warfang, who laughed evilly as he watched them try and resist, only to fail. Down below, Celestia and Luna grunted, as they too were under the control of Warfang's powerul magic.

"Celestia!!" Luna cried, already kneeling on the ground and watching her sister struggle to stay standing in defiance. "Don't do it!! You have to fight!!!"

"I'm...I'm sorry, Luna...!" Celestia apologized. "But...I...can't!!" On that, she was also forced to kneel, while Warfang cackled loudly in triumph.

"Yes!!! YES!!!" he laughed. "AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!" He then noticed Twilight, who sat before Moonlight's body, despondently.

"How is she not reacting to any of this?!" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Ah...Twilight Sparkle," Warfang said...as his spikes began to flash. "Don't worry...you'll be joining that stupid brat soon enough!"

"Twilight!!" Spike called. "Snap out of it!! He's gonna kill you, too!!!"

"Run away, Twilight!!!" Pinkie cried...but Twilight didn't even twitch.

"Say goodbye...!" Warfang said as he fired a magic bolt at Twilight...resulting in a large explosion.

"TWILIGHT!!!!" the gang cried in horror...but when the dust settled, it was revealed that the purple alicorn had set up a barrier around herself and Moonlight before the bolt could hit her with her eyes still hooded under her mane. It gave an...almost unsettling feeling. Then, slowly, Twilight turned to face Warfang with piercing, red eyes and a scowl on her face.

"...You bastard...!" she hissed as her horn flared.

"Uh...Twilight?" Starlight asked, worriedly.

"Are you...okay?" inquired Rarity.

"What's this?" asked Warfang. "That's not a happy face, now is it, Twilight?"

Twilight glared at the Wolf King...as she placed the Element of Magic on her head, and in doing so, the star-shaped gem on top suddenly flashed red, as well, and the golden crown suddenly turned a dark purple, to everyone's worry.

"Uh...Fluttershy, is that supposed to happen?!" asked Swiftclaw.

"I don't think so!" answered Fluttershy.

"Some little pony with a crown won't scare me," Warfang said as he fired another powerful bolt of magic from his helmet, only for Twilight to counter it with one of her own...and to Warfang's surprise, the beams ended up canceling each other out.

"W-what the- OOF!!!" Warfang started, only for Twilight to suddenly disappear and then slam her whole body right into him and sending him flying across Canterlot. In doing so, the magic that was forcing everypony and wolf in Canterlot to bow was undone, and all in Canterlot stood to their hooves and paws, including Celestia, Luna, and Cadence. As for the rest of the gang, they gaped in shock as Twilight began to float in the air without even flapping her wings. Her coat became darker, as did her cutie mark, and her eyes turned completely red as a fiery dark red aura appeared around her, blazing with rage.

"T...Twilight...?!" Spike asked in horror...but Twilight didn't answer him.

"What's going on with her?!" Stormhowl asked.

Then, without warning, Twilight flew off in the direction where Warfang was sent flying, faster than anypony could say "Sonic Rainboom"!

"Whoa!!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed. "What was that all about?!"

"What's going on?!"

The group turned to see Celestia and Luna fly toward them from below.

"Princesses!" exclaimed Starlight as the Royal Sisters landed before them, and it was at that moment when they spotted Moonlight's dead body, causing them both to gasp.

"Moonlight Essence?!" Luna asked as she approached the filly and gently nudged her with her nose, only for her fears to be confirmed when she got no response and felt no warmth from her body. "Oh, no...what happened to her?!!"

"It was Warfang!" Rarity answered. "He...he killed her!"

"And now Twilight's gone crazy!!" Pinkie cried. "She started looking all mad and evil-looking!!"

"WHAT?!!" Celestia questioned. "W-where is she, now?!"

"Sh-she flew off, that way!!" Rainbow Dash answered, pointing in the direction Twilight went. "And she took the Element of Magic with her!!!"

"...No...!" Celestia whispered in horror. "We have to stop her! If she uses even one of the Elements of Harmony out of anger, something terrible will happen!!"

"Then we better hurry!!" Applejack declared.

XXX

Warfang grunted as he pried himself out of the wall of a building while some nearby ponies and wolves watched in disbelief.

"K-King Warfang?" asked one of the wolves.

"How did he even get here?!" asked Moon Dancer, who was among the crowd.

"...That's exactly what I want to know...!" Warfang answered as he looked up at the sky...and sure enough, there was Twilight, flying above him with unbridled fury. Without even uttering a single word, her horn flashed before it fired a powerful beam at Warfang, who countered with one of his own.

Realizing the situation, the ponies and wolves soon fled to a safer location to avoid getting caught in the line of fire. The resulting blast exploded, cancelling each other out, but then Warfang leaped up onto the roof of a building before he sent his magic blades at Twilight, who dove down and spiraled, dodging the attack before she collided with the Wolf King, who was sent crashing to the ground, but he quickly got to his paws as he glared up at the Dark Princess.

"While I do somewhat admire this side of you," Warfang said, "I wonder how long you'll last in that form!"

On that, he lunged at Twilight, who didn't have time to dodge before he grabbed her by her hoof and threw her to the ground, and she crashed through several buildings before she managed to stop herself and flew upward, firing another beam from her horn. Warfang jumped out of the way before firing a beam of his own, but once again, they ended up cancelling each other out. Not too far away, Shining Armor and Cadence stood, watching in shock.

"Is that...Twilight?!" Cadence asked. "What happened to her?!"

"I have no idea!" Shining Armor answered.

"It's not her fault!"

The couple turned to see Celestia, Luna, and the rest of the Mane 6, Spike, Starlight, and the Wolf Princes appear.

"Twilight has succumbed to the darkness within her heart!" Celestia answered. "Seeing Moonlight get killed triggered something inside of her, and worst of all, she's wearing the Element of Magic! If we don't stop her, now...she won't just destroy Canterlot, she'll destroy herself!!"

Hearing that caused Shining Armor and Cadence to gasp.

"Well, what are we doing, standing here?!" Shining Armor asked. "We gotta go!" He then grunted in pain from his earlier injuries.

"Shining Armor, you can't go!" Cadence said. "It's too dangerous!"

"But Cadence," Shining Armor began, "she's my sister! She needs me!"

"I understand," Cadence began, "but you can't be of any use to her if you're dead!"

"...I guess you have a point there," Shining Armor quipped. "...You go...I'll stay here with Flurry."

Cadence nodded before she followed Celestia and the others while Shining Armor remained behind, holding Flurry in his hooves.

"It's gonna be okay, Flurry...hopefully," said Shining Armor while Flurry cooed, nervously.

XXX

Twilight growled as she tackled Warfang in the side, sending him flying through two buildings before he stood up and growled as the alicorn flew towards him, her eyes and her aura blazing.

"I've had enough of this!!" Warfang barked, the Stone of Wishes glowing brighter. "I will not be defeated by a pony, let alone a princess, a second time!!!"

On that, his body was enveloped in a red light before it began to grow in size. Then, two huge, bat-like wings grew out of his back, his fur turned into more of a maroon color, and his armor seemed to fuse into his skin, almost becoming like metallic scales. As the light dissipated, Warfang let out a rumbling laugh, his voice now sounding deep and demonic.

"Now this is more like it...!" he chuckled as he flew up into the air, then darted at Twilight, who flew right back at him, both of them setting up barriers. The two clashed, sparks flying from their respective barriers before backing away and clashing again and still shooting beams at each other at least 9 times. The whole time, Warfang laughed while Twilight grew more and more enraged.

All in Canterlot watched at the battle that took place with worry as the sky continued to darken above them and their only source of light was the sparks flying from the aerial fight. However, after a 10th attempt at clashing with Warfang, Twilight was sent flying back, crashing through several buildings until she finally hit the ground. Warfang laughed mockingly as lightning flashed around him, but his laugh was short-lived when he saw Twilight getting back up and flying toward him again.

"Persistent, aren't we?" he mused before he fired several beams at Twilight, who dodged left and right to avoid getting hit. That's when Warfang opened his mouth and fired a huge beam of dark red energy at Twilight, who gasped as she set up a barrier around herself, but even then, the beam still collided with her and sent her flying all the way across Canterlot. Eventually, her barrier could no longer hold and Twilight was hit, eventually crashing into the mountainside.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!" Warfang laughed as he flew above the city. "I knew it! There is no pony who could beat me!! As long as I have the Stone of Wishes...I AM INVINCIBLE!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA~!!!"

A pause...but then Twilight opened her blazing red eyes before she pulled herself out of the mountain, then let out a guttural roar of fury before she flew toward Warfang, once again...but before she could even get close...

"STOP IT, TWILIGHT!!!" Celestia shouted as she suddenly appeared before her former student with her hooves outstretched, as if defensively. Not long after, Luna, Cadence, and Rainbow Dash appeared, as well, their hooves also opened up, while down below, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie, Spike, Starlight, Swiftclaw, and Stormhowl stood on a rooftop.

"Get out of my way!!" Twilight said in an almost warped voice...it almost didn't even sound like her own.

"Twilight, I know you're kinda bummed about what happened to Moonlight and all," Rainbow Dash began, "but come on! Don't you think you're going a little too far?!"

"Twilight, look deep inside yourself!" Cadence called. "This isn't you and you know it!"

"Don't give in to the darkness, Twilight!" Luna added. "We all know what happens when somepony lets their inner demons take hold!! Don't make the same mistake I did!!!"

Twilight seethed, her eyes still blazing...but then she turned her head away, looking towards Canterlot Castle...or more accurately, at Moonlight's dead body, which still lied on the roof.

"...Moonlight...!" Twilight whispered.

"Yes, Twilight, I know," Celestia answered. "What Warfang did was awful."

"...Must...make him...pay...!!" Twilight growled, the aura around her beginning to grow with her rage. "Must...avenge Moonlight!!"

"Twilight!!" Spike called out.

"Please, you have to calm down!!" Rarity shouted.

"Listen, Twi!" Applejack cried. "Please!!"

"You're not evil!!" Pinkie exclaimed. "You're just really, really sad, right now, and you're letting it out the wrong way!!!"

"Please, Twilight!" Fluttershy yelled. "Come to your senses!!"

"Moonlight wouldn't have wanted this!!" Starlight added. "You have to snap out of it!!!"

Twilight seethed...and yet, she seemed to hesitate, as well. At that moment, Celestia approached her...and wrapped her forelegs around her in a tight hug, and soon after, Rainbow Dash, Luna, and Cadence did the same, taking Twilight by surprise. Soon, they gently lowered her down to the rooftop, where Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie, Fluttershy, Spike, and Starlight soon joined in the group hug.

Before Twilight even knew it...the dam broke. Her tears came falling out at full force, and soon, dark red glow in her eyes disappeared, revealing her normal purple irises, and soon, her natural color began to return. Not long after...she completely broke down, sobbing.

"Shhh..." Cadence shushed as she gently brushed Twilight's mane with her hoof. "Easy, Twilight...it's okay, now."

"We're all here for ya, sugarcube," Applejack soothed.

"Let it all out," Fluttershy whispered.

"It'll be okay," Spike said.

"She...she gave up her life to save mine...!" Twilight whimpered. "It's not fair! She was my little sister...and now she's...!"

"I know, Twilight," Celestia said. "I know it's hard."

"Moonlight was very brave," Luna added. "She knew that Warfang's magic was powerful...but she did what she felt she had to in order to save you: that proves just how much she loved you."

"You know that any of us would do the same for you," said Rainbow Dash.

"But don't be like Warfang," Rarity added. "If you attack out of hatred, like he does, that makes you no different from him."

"I'm sad about Moonlight, too," Pinkie said, "but we need to be strong for her."

"Otherwise, her spirit won't rest any easier," Starlight added.

The Wolf Princes just stood nearby, watching quietly as the ponies and baby dragon comforted Twilight, who kept sobbing until she just couldn't anymore. She then heaved a small sigh before she looked to the group and smiled warmly.

"...Thank you, everypony," she whispered, causing the group to smile back at her. However, the moment was short-lived when they heard an explosion nearby, causing them to turn and see Warfang firing another beam from his mouth, and following this was the sound of ponies and wolves screaming in terror as they ran.

"He's even attacking his own pack, now," said Starlight.

"Warfang has clearly gone mad," Luna said, grimly.

"So, what do we do?" asked Fluttershy. "Use the elements to banish him?"

"...I'm afraid...banishing won't be enough, this time, Fluttershy," answered Celestia, to everyone's surprise. "Banishing was what caused this madness. Warfang was already spiteful of me...but the loss of his mate pushed him over the edge."

"...Father has to die, doesn't he?" asked Swiftclaw, causing Celestia to look back at him. "Don't be so surprised. For a long time, now, I actually felt that this had to happen...that one day, he would have to be destroyed because of his tyranny and madness." He then heaved a sigh. "If it's the only way...so be it."

"...I also accept this," said Stormhowl. "He may be our Father, but he is still a villain...and...perhaps death is his only salvation, now."

Celestia nodded before she looked to Twilight and the rest of the Mane 6.

"Twilight," she said, "you know what you and your friends must do: use the Elements of Harmony to destroy Warfang...but don't destroy him out of rage and hatred, which were the very things that made him what he is now."

"You heard her, Twilight," said Starlight with a confident smile. "Show Warfang what the Elements of Harmony can really do...with the magic of friendship."

Twilight smiled before she nodded her head, then turned to the others, who all nodded back at her. Then, they all stood in a circle around each other and closed their eyes, and soon after, their respective elements began to glow a warm, bright light before they began to float in the air. Following this...a rainbow light began to encircle the group, swirling around them, faster and faster until it burst, revealing Twilight and her friends in their Rainbow Powered forms!

"...Whoa...!" Swiftclaw gaped while Stormhowl stared in complete awe, while Starlight and Spike smiled proudly.

"Aww, yeah!!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed. "Feels great to have this, again!!!"

"Fabulous~!!" Rarity sang.

"Come on, y'all," Applejack said. "We gotta a wolf to straighten out!"

"We're ready whenever you are, Twilight," said Fluttershy.

"Yeah, just give the word!" Pinkie shouted.

"...Let's go," said Twilight, and with that, the flew off toward Warfang, who turned to see the ball of rainbow light hurtling toward him.

"What's this?" he asked with a smirk. "You think you're going to stop me with some pretty little light show? HAHAHAHAH!!"

"Laugh all you want, Warfang," Twilight began, "but we have magic that's more powerful than even yours!!"

"Lies!" Warfang barked. "I'll show you what my magic can do!!"

On that, he fired another beam of energy from his mouth at the group...but it had no effect. Confused, but not deterred, Warfang tried again, but still, nothing happened, causing him to growl in frustration.

"How is this possible?!" Warfang questioned. "The Stone of Wishes was supposed to make me more powerful than any pony in Equestria!!"

"You may be more powerful than anypony in Equestria, Warfang," Twilight said, "but there is one power that you will never be able to defeat! I almost became like you...I almost let my rage consume me, but my friends brought me back to my senses! Someone who has let their fury and hatred take over, like you have, will never understand that!!"

On that, a rainbow beam suddenly surged forth from the group, shooting straight towards Warfang, who opened his mouth and fired another beam of his own...but the rainbow beam went straight through it, causing the monstrous Wolf King to gasp in horror.

"No!! This can't be!!!" he shouted...before the beam struck him right in the chest, causing him to howl in agony. "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~!!!!"

KABOOM!!!! A giant burst of rainbow light burst forth from where Warfang stood...before everything went white.

XXX

There was this...empty darkness. No sounds, no light...nothing...but then, there was the sound of the light clopping of hooves as Celestia approached...Silverwind, who had his back turned to her, no armor, no scar over his left eye...just the very fur that grew on his back.

"...Silverwind," Celestia said, softly, causing the wolf to tense up before he turned and looked up at the Princess of the Sun with a look of deep remorse. He sighed before he turned to face her, completely as he looked up so that their eyes could meet.

"...Celestia...I..." he whispered. "I...I don't know what happened...I...I wanted to believe you were helping me, but then-"

"Even a good heart can be tainted, Silverwind," Celestia said. "The darkness within you was strong...and I only made that worse by actually ignoring the problem instead of actually talking things through."

"...I didn't want to turn into a monster," said Silverwind. "I wanted to remain as yours and Luna's friend, but I let the darkness take hold of me. Then...when you banished me...and when Mooneyes died...it grew worse." He then sniffled as he screwed his eyes shut, trying to fight off tears...but to no avail. "I...I don't blame you at all if you decide to never forgive me! I...I killed so many innocent ponies!!"

"...I don't forgive Warfang," Celestia said, causing Silverwind to gasp before he looked up at her, "but this wolf I'm seeing before me...Silverwind...that is who I will forgive...so long as he forgives me."

"...I...I do," Silverwind said. "I do forgive you...Celestia."

Celestia smiled tenderly, which caused Silverwind to smile back at her before he looked away.

"...I guess...this is goodbye," he said.

"I'm afraid it is," Celestia replied...with tears forming in her eyes, as well. Not long after...a bright light appeared behind Silverwind, who looked back toward it before he turned to approach it. However, the wolf stopped, just for a moment before he looked back at the white alicorn, who stared at him as her tears spilled...but she still smiled, nonetheless.

"...Tell Luna that I'm sorry...and...goodbye," Silverwind said.

"I will," Celestia replied. "...Goodbye...old friend."

With that, Silverwind headed into the light, which soon vanished the moment he passed through it, while Celestia turned and walked away, feeling at peace.

Author's Note:

Love it or hate it, either way, the battle is finally over.