• Published 18th Oct 2017
  • 1,366 Views, 218 Comments

My Little Pony: The Rise of Warfang - XFangHeartX



When a young filly named Moonlight Essence shows up at the Castle of Friendship, Twilight can't seem to make sense of it...until word spreads of wolf attacks throughout Equestria.

  • ...
3
 218
 1,366

Ch. 12- Recuperating

Dusk was falling upon Ponyville before anypony realized it...and Shining Armor had not returned. Twilight sat near the window, watching the Castle of the Two Sisters. All day, ever since she and her friends left that place...and all she could do was watch wait for her older brother to come back...hopefully in one piece. As she did, Pinkie walked up to her while holding a cupcake.

"Here, Twilight," she said.

"...No thank you, Pinkie," Twilight replied.

"But you haven't eaten anything since we got back!" Pinkie retorted. "Please~?"

"Still worried 'bout Shining Armor, huh, sugarcube?" Applejack asked.

"...Yeah," Twilight answered.

"I'm sure he'll be back, soon," said Starlight.

"Yeah, you just gotta wait a little longer," Rainbow Dash said as Rarity set a splint on Fluttershy's broken wing...with pink, sparkly bandages.

"Thank you, Rarity," Fluttershy said, "but...aren't the sparkly bandages a bit...much?"

"Well, just because you're injured, doesn't mean you can't look fabulous," Rarity rebuked.

"I guess so," Fluttershy said.

Not too far away, Moonlight sat at the table with a cup of tea in front of her, while Swiftclaw sat in the corner, silently.

"...This is a bit...awkward, don't you think?" asked Rarity as she eyed the situation.

"Well, what did you expect?" Twilight asked. "She's in the same room with the one who killed her family."

"...Actually," Moonlight spoke up, causing all eyes to fall on her, "now that I think about it...this wolf didn't really kill anypony."

"It doesn't change the fact that I feel guilty," Swiftclaw said as he approached her. "I chased you to get your necklace...I might not have killed any of your friends and family, but I still traumatized you! And that...I can't forgive myself for."

"...But I forgive you," Moonlight said, causing Swiftclaw to look down at her. "You really are different from all those other wolves. You're nice and you helped us get away from that scary castle, even though that meant your pack wouldn't like you, anymore."

"Not to mention you saved me," Fluttershy said as she sat with Swiftclaw. "And besides, my wing's not permanently broken. It'll heal in a week or two."

Swiftclaw smiled at Fluttershy...but then he sighed as he looked down.

"...So what am I gonna do now?" he asked. "I can't possibly return to my pack, knowing my Father would kill me."

"...Well...I guess you'll be staying with me," Fluttershy answered, to his surprise.

"R...really?" Swiftclaw asked. "You don't mind?"

"Of course not!" Fluttershy answered. "I have plenty of room! Plus, if you start to get hungry, I'll take you fishing so you don't have to worry about what to eat."

"Wow..." Swiftclaw whispered. "Thank you, Fluttershy."

"It's what friends do," Fluttershy replied, causing the others to smile at the two. "Oh! One more thing: I have another friend who tends to visit me sometimes, and he's not really something you're used to."

"I'm sure I can handle him," Swiftclaw assured. "What's his name?"

"Discord," Fluttershy replied, casually, causing Swiftclaw to gape.

"Wait...you mean the draco-" Swiftclaw started, but he was soon interrupted when the group heard the sound of the door opening, followed by heavy panting and the weak clopping of hooves. The group turned and gasped upon seeing it was none other than Shining Armor...only, he looked like he had seen better days. He had his right hind leg lifted up above the floor, a tear in his left ear, a gash on the left side of his chest, and it also looked like he had gotten singed, somehow.

"Shining Armor!" Twilight exclaimed as she ran up to him, causing him to sigh as he collapsed onto her.

"...Sorry, Twily," Shining Armor whispered. "I should've been a little more careful."

"Are you gonna be okay?!" Twiligth asked.

"I think so," Shining Armor seethed.

"What happened to you?!" asked Starlight. "And what about the rest of the guards?!"

"...Warfang," Shining Armor answered. "He...he used some...some strange magic."

Flashback

Shining Armor and Stormhowl were still locked in a fierce battle. Already, there were casualties on both sides: 5 guards had already been slain, but 8 wolves had also fallen. The warriors had both sustained terrible wounds, but it seemed that victory was almost at hand...err, hoof, in their case. However, Warfang stepped forward...the five horns on his helmet taking on an eerie dark red glow. Then, an orb of purple energy formed over his head, causing Shining Armor and the guards to gasp as they backed away.

"What is that?!" asked one of them.

"...Your doom," Warfang answered as he sent the orb floating towards Shining Armor and his guards, who backed away with worry while the wolves snickered.

Before Shining Armor realized what was happening, the orb touched the ground...and a giant burst of energy exploded from it, sending Shining Armor and several of his guards flying through the air. The energy felt hot to the touch, so much that Shining Armor screamed in pain before he hit a tree before he collapsed on the ground. He grunted as he looked around...and saw most of his guards, lying limp and motionless on the ground...save for just a good few of them, who looked as badly injured as their captain as they forced themselves to stand. Then, Shining Armor looked up to see Warfang, who glared down at him with his good eye glowing a menacing golden yellow as flames burned behind him.

"Tell this to those princesses of yours," Warfang said. "The days of Celestia's reign are numbered...and Equestria will be mine."

Shining glared up at the Wolf King, who chuckled darkly.

Flashback end

"After that," Shining Armor began, "I took what remained of my men...about 6 of them...and dropped them all off at the hospital before I came here."

The group stood in stunned silence...but Swiftclaw only looked away.

"...He wiped almost all of the guards?!" Starlight asked in disbelief.

"Dude...!" Rainbow Dash whispered in shock. Even Pinkie was shocked, for even she knew that something was like this was nothing to laugh about.

"...This is getting more serious than I thought," Twilight said. "I mean...a wolf using magic?! Especially highly-destructable spells, like that?!! It's unheard of!!"

"Where'd he even learn to do it?!" asked Applejack.

"We don't know," Swiftclaw answered, "but...he has taught it to some members of his pack...but that spell Father used? It's not the first time he's done. I've seen him do it many times before...he even used it to finish off the remainder of Moonlight's family." He then shuddered in fear. "That's why...that's why I always fear his wrath. He's not just powerful, physically...but magically, too."

"So if that's the case," Rainbow Dash began before she gestured to Moonlight's necklace, "why does he want THAT so badly?"

"All I know is that it will help him rule Equestria," Swiftclaw answered. "He never told me the details...he never tells me anything."

"We can figure it out, later," Twilight answered before she looked to Shining Armor. "Right now, you need to rest."

"Come on, Shining Armor," said Spike as he and Rarity left to take Shining Armor to his room in the castle and tend to his injuries.

"...Is your brother gonna be okay?" Pinkie asked, worriedly.

"He'll be fine, Pinkie," Twilight assured. "Shining Armor's pretty resilient...still...we don't know if Warfang's going to attack here, again."

"...This is all my fault," Moonlight said, causing everyone in the room to look at her. "None of this would have happened if I hadn't shown up here."

"Now stop right there!" Applejack scolded. "Don't you go apologizin' for somethin' we don't even blame ya for!"

"You might as well blame me!" Moonlight replied. "As long as I'm here, those wolves will just keep coming after us!" She then took off her necklace and threw it the floor. "All because of this stupid, cursed neclacke!!" She then sniffled and covered her eyes with her forelegs. However, her lamenting was soon interrupted when she heard a shimmering sound, and when she looked up, she saw her necklace floating towards her with a pinkish-purple aura.

"Your necklace isn't stupid and it isn't cursed," said Twilight with a reassuring smile. "Your sister gave it to you...so it should mean something to you, shouldn't it?"

"...Yeah, but-" Moonlight started.

"So a few wolves come and start trashin' the place," Rainbow Dash interjected. "Big deal! We'll take care of 'em for ya, kid!"

"That's right," Starlight agreed. "So don't let a few wolf attacks think that your necklace is cursed."

"It doesn't matter why Warfang wants it," said Applejack. "We'll protect it and you from him."

"Yeah, so turn that frown upside-down!" Pinkie added.

"...But...but I don't want you guys to get killed because of me," Moonlight said. "How do I know you won't get tired of protecting me all the time and get rid of me?"

"That will never happen," Twilight replied. "You're our friend, Moonlight...and friends are definitely worth fighting for."

Hearing that and seeing Twilight and the others give her these confident, reassuring smiles made Moonlight's eyes sparkle with hope.

"Besides," Twilight said, "don't you remember what I said? I'll always be with you...and so will my friends."

A pause...but then Moonlight smiled before she went up and nuzzled Twilight, who giggled as she nuzzled her back.

"Aww," Fluttershy cooed. "Now isn't that sweet?"

"...Yeah...!" Swiftclaw said as his eyes started getting misty.

"Dude, are you crying?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"What?!" asked Swiftclaw as he quickly wiped his eyes. "O-of course not! I got something in my eye, that's all!"

"Sure you do," Rainbow Dash smirked while Applejack and Fluttershy chuckled.

"...Can...we still do those magic lessons?" asked Moonlight.

"Of course we can," Twilight answered, "but we should probably do them tomorrow morning."

"Okay," Moonlight nodded.

"Uh...Twilight?" Starlight asked as she looked outside the hallway. "We have another visitor."

"Oh, boy," Twilight whispered in slight exasperation before she turned around with her eyes closed. "Can you tell them to come back tomorrow? Because we really had a very tough..." She opened her eyes and gasped upon seeing it was none other than her older sister-in-law, Cadence. "Day?!"

"Oh, so suddenly I'm not very important?" Cadence asked, although she still had an affectionate smile on her face.

"Cadence!!" Twilight cheered as she ran up to Cadence and they did their special greeting.

"Sunshine, sunshine,
Ladybugs awake!
Clap your hooves,
And do a little shake!"

Soon, the two princesses laughed as they gave each other a warm hug.

"Oh, that's not all!" Cadence said as she pulled in a pram with Flurry riding in it, just as giggly and bright-eyed as Twilight remembered her.

"Flurry~!" Twilight and the others exclaimed as they gathered around her, making baby talk and kissy noises. Twilight even blew a raspberry on her niece's tummy, which caused her to squeal with laughter. Moonlight only blinked in curiosity before she got up and went to join the others, which caused Cadence to take notice.

"Well, hi there!" Cadence greeted in a bit of a motherly tone. "Who are you?"

"M...Moonlight Essence," Moonlight answered before she looked up at Flurry and smiled. "Is she your daughter?"

"She sure is," Cadence answered. "This is Flurry Heart."

"She's so cute," Moonlight said. "...Can I hold her?"

"Of course you can!" replied Cadence before she used her horn to pick up Flurry and put her in Moonlight's hooves. "Easy, now. Watch her head."

Moonlight gently held the baby alicorn in her hooves while smiling down at her.

"Hi, Flurry," Moonlight said, causing Flurry to coo at her. "Heehee! I think she likes me!"

"I think she likes you, too-" Cadence started, only to gasp upon seeing Swiftclaw sitting in the corner with an awkward grin. "Uhh...did you all know there's a wolf in here?"

"Oh, don't worry," Fluttershy answered. "He's very nice."

Flurry cooed as she looked over at Swiftclaw, then reached her tiny little hooves out to him, to Cadence's surprise.

"...I think...she wants you to come over," Cadence said.

"I...I don't know," Swiftclaw replied, but then, Flurry flapped her wings and flew toward the younger Wolf Prince, who backed away from her as she crawled up to him. Then, she went up and hugged his right foreleg, cooing and giggling innocently, while the group was absolutely stunned.

"I don't believe it...!" Cadence whispered. "She's not scared of him!"

"I told you," Fluttershy replied, while Swiftclaw chuckled.

"Uh...hi, there," Swiftclaw said, softly, causing Flurry to coo even more. "...Aww...what a cute little...baby..." His eyes then bugged out of his head when he realized what kind of pony Flurry was. "A...baby alicorn?!"

"Yeah...it's a long story," Cadence replied, just as Rarity and Spike walked in.

"Oh!" Rarity exclaimed. "I thought I heard your voice, Princess Cadence!"

"Hello, Spike, Rarity," Cadence said.

"If you're looking for Shining Armor, he's in his room," Spike answered, "but...he's resting."

"...How bad is it?" Cadence asked.

"Well, it could be worse," Rarity answered. "He could've lost his leg."

"I'm almost not surprised," Cadence said. "He's almost always pushing himself like this. Still, I better go see him. Come on, Flurry, time to go see Daddy!"

On that, Flurry gave Swiftclaw a wet, sloppy baby kiss on his snout before she turned and flew to her mother, her prepared to carry her off.

"Oh, one more thing!" Cadence exclaimed before she looked to Twilight. "Twilight...Flurry and I aren't the only ones who came to visit."

"Who else is here?" Twilight asked.

"I am."

Everyone in the room turned and gasped upon seeing it was none other than Celestia, who walked in with her usual warm smile and dignified grace. The others soon kneeled before their ruler, save for Twilight, who smiled broadly upon seeing her old teacher.

"Princess Celestia...!" Twilight whispered. "It's so good to see you!"

"It's good to see you, too, Twilight," Celestia replied before her smile fell. "However...I'm afraid I'm here for more than just a social call. Tell me...have you seen a wolf with a spiked helmet and a blind eye?"

"H-how'd you know?!" Twilight asked.

"...As I feared," Celestia muttered.

"What's wrong, Princess Celestia?" asked Starlight.

"We need to talk," Celestia answered.

Author's Note:

Soon, all will be all revealed.