• Published 18th Oct 2017
  • 1,360 Views, 218 Comments

My Little Pony: The Rise of Warfang - XFangHeartX



When a young filly named Moonlight Essence shows up at the Castle of Friendship, Twilight can't seem to make sense of it...until word spreads of wolf attacks throughout Equestria.

  • ...
3
 218
 1,360

Ch. 8- Luna's Guidance

All was quiet in Ponyville, that night. The townsponies had already tucked themselves into bed, even though some were still quite rattled by the earlier wolf attack. Some felt like as if they couldn't sleep...like a trio of certain crusaders, who were at their respective homes.

Take right now, for instance, at Sweet Apple Acres. Applejack was lying in her bed, dreaming sweet, blissful dreams...until a voice broke through the silence.

"Applejack?"

Applejack opened her tired eyes as she heard the calls of her little sister, but her exhaustion from the day made it hard for to get out of bed.

"Applejack!"

That did it. The older Apple sister sighed as she got out of her bed and headed out the door, walked down the hall, and opened the door to her little's sister room, where she saw Apple Bloom's bright orange eyes blinking at her, sad and frightened. Applejack walked in with a tender smile of reassurance as she nuzled the little yellow filly's face, causing Apple Bloom to sigh softly as a smile of her own appeared. Then, Applejack turned and prepared to head out the room, but not before she turned to her sister and gestured her head forward, which beckoned Apple Bloom to follow her. Then, the two sisters climbed into the bed together, the older wrapping her forelegs around the younger, who yawned as she let her eyelids get heavy, but not before she uttered this simple but meaningful phrase.

"I love you, Applejack..."

Applejack smiled as she gave Apple Bloom a light kiss on her forehead.

"Love you, too, sugarcube," she whispered as her sister finally fell asleep.

At the Carousel Boutique, Sweetie Belle was sitting in the kitchen with Rarity, drinking a mug of warm milk to help her relax. Once the milk was finished, Rarity gently nudged her little sister in the direction of her bedroom. Once the little unicorn was in bed, her older sister used her magic to pull the covers over her, then she went over and nuzzled Sweetie Belle lovingly before she turned and walked out to hed to bed herself. However, before she could, Sweetie Belle raised her head up and said...

"I love you, Rarity."

Rarity smiled as she looked to her sister.

"I love you, too, Sweetie Belle...sweet dreams."

In Rainbow Dash's cloudiminium, Rainbow Dash was already snoring away in her bed while Tank was sleeping in his bed, and lying next to Rainbow Dash was Scootaloo...who whimpered as she slightly kicked her legs and flapped her little wings. Rainbow Dash didn't even open one eye as she raised her wing and pulled Scootaloo toward her. Almost instantly, the little orange Pegasus sighed in content as she nuzzled up against her older sister figure's side, then she glanced up at Rainbow Dash, who opened one eye at her and smiled, knowingly.

"I love you, Rainbow Dash," Scootaloo whispered, causing Rainbow Dash to chuckle.

"Love you, too, Scoots," she replied.

Yes, it seemed that even the Cutie Mark Crusaders would continue to have a good night's sleep, despite what happened today...well, except for one.

In the Castle of Friendship, Twilight, Starlight, and Spike were all asleep in their rooms...but while Twilight remained asleep in her bed, Moonlight was lying in the bed next to her, whimpering and kicking her legs. She gritted her teeth as she tossed and turned, unwittingly throwing the blankets off of her small body, and she made even made a small cry...and yet, it did nothing to rouse Twilight from her slumber.

It seemed that Moonlight would be on her own, once again.

~Dream sequence~

Faster. She had to run faster, through all this darkness and these foreboding shadows. As she did, many images seemed to flash before her frightened eyes: a light green unicorn stallion with a short, silvery mane that had streaks of light blue, tied back into some sort of topknot, with a bow and arrow for a cutie mark, gaping as his neck was being torn open by huge, sharp fangs. Following that was the image of a lavender coated unicorn mare with a long, dark orange mane and tail and a balancing scale for a cutie mark, screaming in horror as a horde of beasts lunged at her with no way to escape. Soon, other images of unicorns being chased and ripped apart by these vicious beasts appeared. Seeing these images nearly made her falter, but something nudged her from behind, urging to keep running ahead.

"Don't stop!" the voice called out. "Keep running!!"

Moonlight glanced back at the same unicorn mare that Warfang had been eating the night when she arrived in Ponyville. However, around her neck was the very same necklace that Moonlight was wearing, right now. The mare had a look of frantic desperation, but also fierece determination on her face, which seemed to make the filly run faster. However, as they ran, the mare tripped on a rock, and she cried out in pain when she felt the stone slice into her ankle before she collapsed into the mud. Moonlight gasped before she ran back to the mare's side.

"Starburst!" she cried.

"Moonlight, don't stop!" Starburst urged. "You have to keep going!"

"But I can't leave you here!" Moonlight cried as she tried to get Starburst to her hooves. "Come on, get up! We have to go, or those monsters will catch up to us!"

Just as she said this, the two heard some unearthly growling and barking coming from behind them...and it sounded like it wouldn't be long before their pursuers caught up to them. Starburst glanced at her bleeding ankle, then at Moonlight, then down at her necklace...the red gemstone gleaming into her eyes. On that, the mare bit her lip before her horn began to glow, the aura surrounding the jewelry before she clipped it around Moonlight's neck.

"Take this and run," Starburst said.

"What?!" Moonlight questioned. "N-no, I can't!"

"Moonlight, if you don't run, they'll catch us both!" Starburst shouted. "Besides, I can't run with my ankle like this! The least I can do is buy you some time!!"

"But...but Starburst...!" Moonlight whimpered as tears formed in her eyes. "I...I can't leave you!"

A pause...but then Starburst pulled Moonlight close to her into an embrace.

"You silly filly," she whispered with a loving...yet sad smile. "There's nowhere you can't go where I won't be with you."

Moonlight sniffled as tears fell from her eyes.

"...I love you, big sister...!" she whispered.

"I love you, too," Starburst replied before she nudged Moonlight away. "Now go on...go! Hurry!"

As reluctant as she was, Moonlight turned and ran off while Starburst lied in the mud. However, she soon went and hid behind a boulder before she peered around the corner...and that's when she saw them: these huge, hairy monsters with metal scales and glowing eyes, and huge jaws with gnashing fangs. They glared at Starburst, who forced herself to stand before she turned and glared at the beasts.

"Where is the stone?" asked the silver-furred monster with glowing blue eyes. His voice sounded deep, unearthly...almost demonic, but Starburst glared defiantly at them as they surrounded her.

"I'll die before I tell you anything," Starburst hissed.

"There was a filly with her, but I don't see her," said one of the monsters. "The stone is gone, as well."

"The filly must have taken it with her," said another. "We'll have to go after her, too."

"I won't let you!!" Starburst shouted. "You already killed my Father, my Mother, all my friends...but I won't let you kill my little sister!!"

Moonlight could only watch her as her older sister charged at the monsters. Her magic did nothing against their scales, and yet she kept fighting. She kicked one of them in the jaw and busted out a few fangs, then stabbed one beast in the chest with her horn before she threw it to the ground. Moonlight silently cheered for her sister, and for a good while, it looked like she was about to come out victorious after she took out 3 more of the monsters...but then, the silver-furred beast circled behind Starburst, and Moonlight gasped, realizing what was about to happen next.

"LOOK OUT!!" she cried in time with a crack of thunder...but it was too late. The beast lunged at Starburst and delivered a powerful bite to her throat, causing her to gasp as she felt her windpipe get crushed.

"M...Moonlight...!" she whispered as the beast dropped her to the ground, where her blood soon pooled around her. Moonlight gaped as her eyes bugged out of her skull...and her tears quietly fell. She whimpered as she stared at the corpse of her older sister, praying for any type of movement from her...but she knew that it was just wishful thinking.

Those beasts had killed her sister.

Unfortunately, Moonlight had no time to mourn, for in her haste to warn her sister about the monster that was trying to attack from behind her, she had unknowingly come out of her hiding place, and in doing so, one of the monsters had spotted her. She gasped as she realized it was coming right at her before she turned and galloped away, but the monster was soon right on her tail before she realized it. Moonlight panted as her hooves pounded against the earth and mud while the beast's own heavy panting was heard behind her. She looked back, only to meet the creature's fiery golden eyes, which prompted her to run faster, but she knew she couldn't run forever. Her body was racked with exhaustion and it began to feel heavy on her hooves, but just when it looked like there seemed to be no hope for her, there was a flash of light, causing her to gasp as she shielded her eyes.

"Who...?" she asked before she opened her eyes...and gasped upon seeing that it was none other than Princess Luna, herself. "P...Princess Luna?!"

"Indeed, child," Luna replied.

"W-what are you doing here?" asked Moonlight.

"I've come to relieve you of your nightmares," said Luna as she gently touched Moonlight's forehead with her horn, and soon after, the darkness fled and the monster vanished. The only thing that Luna and Moonlight stood in was the endless void of the Dream Realm.

"Moonlight Essence," Luna began as she lied down before the filly, "these nightmares have been plaguing you for quite some time, now."

"I know," Moonlight replied, "and...I really want them to stop...but they won't leave me alone." She then screwed her eyes shut. "Every time I sleep...all I see are those...monsters...eating my friends and family...!"

"The wolves," Luna surmised, and Moonlight nodded her head. "The night they attacked your family scarred you so much, that your fear has distorted their image."

"It was so scary," Moonlight said, "and the worst part is...I don't know why they came after us. Of all the ponies in Equestria...why us? What did we do to them?!"

"They're after your necklace," Luna answered.

"Huh?" Moonlight muttered as she looked at her necklace. "But...why would they want this? It's just a necklace."

"That, I cannot say," Luna replied. "However, if it is that important, you must keep it safe."

"...It is important to me," Moonlight said. "It was the last thing Starburst gave me before she...she..." She chewed her lip as she felt her eyes welling up, again. "...I miss my sister...!!"

"I understand," Luna replied as she gently pulled the filly toward her with her wing. "When my sister banished me to the moon, I missed her deeply...even if I wasn't the same pony I am now."

"It hurts so much," Moonlight whispered as her tears fell. "I know she said she'd always be with me, but...no matter how hard I try, I feel so alone!"

"But you are not alone," Luna reassured before her horn glowed again...revealing several images of Twilight, Spike, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Staralight, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders, all smiling at Moonlight. "In the short time you've known these ponies...and Spike, too, of course...you've opened your heart again, despite your pain."

"...I did, didn't I?" Moonlight asked.

"And I know a pony who can help you overcome your loss," Luna said as she showed an image of Twilight, who was wrapping Moonlight up in a blanket.

"That's the night Twilight found me," Moonlight realized.

"Yes," Luna said. "Of all the ponies, Twilight showed the most concern for you. I can tell she cares a great deal for you."

"...Are you saying...I should talk to Twilight about how I'm feeling?" asked Moonlight.

"It's better to talk about these things than just keep them inside," replied Luna. "And if there's anypony who can help you, it's Twilight Sparkle."

"...Okay," Moonlight said. "I'll talk to her."

Luna smiled before she got up and turned to leave.

"Princess Luna?" Moonlight called, causing the Princess of the Moon to look back at her. "Thank you."

Luna smiled and nodded her head before she walked away.

~Dream end~

Twilight snored softly as she lied in her bed, but her sleep was soon interrupted when she felt a hoof nudging her shoulder, causing her to look up and see Moonlight, who blinked at her sadly.

"Moonlight?" Twilight asked.

"Twilight?" Moonlight asked. "Is it okay if I talk to you about something?"

"What is it?" Twilight asked.

"...It's about how my family died," said Moonlight. "I just...I just think I'd feel better if I got it off my chest."

Twilight's eyes went wide before she sat up and said "Of course you can talk to me about that."

Moonlight nodded before she sat next to Twilight, who put her wing around her.

"...We were out during the storm," said Moonlight. "We were on our way to Canterlot so my Dad could talk to Princess Celestia about something important. I don't really understand grownup stuff, so I didn't ask what it was about. I was sitting in the carriage with Starburst, since I didn't like the thunder and lightning that much."

"That makes sense," said Twilight.

"Anyway," Moonlight continued, "everything was just fine for a while...but all of a sudden, I heard my Mom scream, and the next thing we knew, the carriage fell over, and when went out to look...the first thing I saw was everypony running away from...from..."

"...The wolves?" Twilight inquired.

"Yeah," Moonlight said, "and there was this really big one with a spiky helmet and one blind eye...and he was glaring right at me while the wolves were chasing everypony. I tried to look for Mom...but when I found her, the wolves jumped at her...and all I could hear was her screaming."

"...Oh, no...!" Twilight whispered.

"And after that, I saw my Dad trying to fight off the wolves," said Moonlight, "but when he tried to use his magic on them, the beams would bounce off the wolves' armor. Then, he called out to Starburst and told her to take me away, so we both ran while...everypony was getting killed and eaten...especially my Dad."

"It sounded to me your dad was more worried about your safety than his own," said Twilight.

"Yeah," Moonlight nodded. "Starburst and I ran as fast as we could...but then, she tripped and she hurt herself. I tried to get her to get up, but it was no use...so she gave me her necklace and told me to run away without her. I didn't wanna leave her...but she made me go, anyway...but instead of running away, I hid so that I could see if she would be all right. That's when the wolves showed up." She then sniffled as she tried to keep herself from crying, and Twilight gently squeezed her with her wing. "...Starburst...she tried to fight them off...she actually managed to kill a few of the wolves...but then..."

"...Then?" Twilight asked, although she seemed to know what happened, already.

"...One wolf...the wolf that your brother was fighting, actually," Moonlight began, "he...he went up behind her and he...he..." She choked back a sob. "...He bit her neck...!"

Twilight's eyes went wide while Moonlight sobbed and her tears came, full force.

"Oh, Moonlight," Twilight said as she nuzzled the filly. "Shh...it's okay. Everything's gonna be okay." She then sniffled as tears of her own began to fall. "I'm so sorry, Moonlight...so very sorry...!"

In the doorway, Starlight and Spike watched with tears falling from their eyes as well.

"She told me she'd always be with me," said Moonlight, "but...I still miss her...!"

"I know," said Twilight, "but it'll be okay. I promise."

"Really?" Moonlight asked.

"Yes, really," Twilight answered. "My friends and I will be here to help you get through this."

"...Then...can I ask you something, Twilight?" Moonlight asked.

"Of course," Twilight replied. "What is it?"

"...You won't leave me...will you?" asked Moonlight.

Twilight stared at the little unicorn before she smiled softly and said "Of course not...I'll always be with you, Moonlight."

Hearing that caused Moonlight to smile as Twilight nuzzled her, affectionately, while Spike and Starlight soon came in and joined in the hug, causing Moonlight to giggle.

'You were right, Princess Luna,' she thought. 'I'm not alone, anymore...thank you for helping me realize that.'

Up in the sky, Luna smiled as she gazed upon the Castle of Friendship...but her smile soon faded when she heard the long, eerie howl of a wolf, causing her to look toward the ruins of the Castle of the Two Sisters with a cold glare.

"Howl all you want," she said, "but you won't have your way, Warfang..."

Author's Note:

I gotta say, I'm quite proud of this chapter. Hope you guys enjoy it, too. :twilightsmile: