• Published 18th Oct 2017
  • 1,364 Views, 218 Comments

My Little Pony: The Rise of Warfang - XFangHeartX



When a young filly named Moonlight Essence shows up at the Castle of Friendship, Twilight can't seem to make sense of it...until word spreads of wolf attacks throughout Equestria.

  • ...
3
 218
 1,364

Ch. 10- Warfang's Trap, Part 1

The next morning, at the Castle of Friendship...

"You WHAT?!!"

"That's right...I let him go free."

Rainbow Dash gaped in disbelief, and Applejack, Rarity, Twilight, and Spike were just as shocked while Fluttershy just nonchalantly blinked at them.

"Fluttershy, I can't believe this!" Twilight exclaimed. "You actually let that wolf leave?!"

"I did," Fluttershy answered, as if it were no big deal.

"Do you have ANY IDEA what you've done?!" Rainbow Dash questioned. "Now that wolf is gonna bring his buddies here and attack Ponyville, all over again!"

"Shh~!" Twilight shushed. "Quiet down! Moonlight's still sleeping."

"Oh, right," Rainbow Dash said in a hushed voice. "Sorry."

"I can't believe you did this without telling us!" Spike added.

"Actually," Starlight spoke up, "I saw her release him, last night, from the window."

"You knew?!" Spike questioned.

"Starlight, why didn't you stop her?" asked Twilight.

"They really looked like they hit it off," Starlight answered before she looked at Fluttershy with the utmost sincerity. "I mean...Fluttershy convince somepony like Discord to be her friend and change his ways. Why is a wolf any different?"

The others opened their mouths to argue...and yet, they stopped themselves, unable to come up with a justifiable answer. That is...except for Twilight.

"Fluttershy," Twilight began, "I don't mean to question your methods...but these wolves killed Moonlight's family. What makes you so sure he's different from his pack?"

"Because he seemed so lost and confused," Fluttershy answered, "and he also looked so gentle. How could a wolf like that be a killer?"

"...She kinda has a point, there, Twi," Applejack said.

"Maybe we can trust Fluttershy's judgement," Rarity added. "I mean...it's not the first time she's been right about this kind of thing."

"And if she is right," Rainbow Dash started, "it would be pretty cool to have a wolf on our side...just sayin'."

A pause...but then Twilight heaved a sigh.

"Okay, Fluttershy," she said. "I'm going to trust you, but not the wolf. Do you understand?"

"That's all I wanted to hear," said Fluttershy.

"Now that's out of the way," Starlight said, "has anypony seen Pinkie Pie?"

"I saw her on the way up here," Rainbow Dash replied. "I think she had some last minute stuff to do before she got to the castle."

"Well, we can wait for her," Twilight replied. "In the meantime, I hope Moonlight wakes up soon. I'm planning on helping her hone her magic skills today."

"How interesting," Rarity smiled.

"Ya know, Twi, if I didn't know better," Applejack began, "I'd say you've taken quite a shine to Moonlight, haven't ya?"

"Well...I guess she's grown on me," Twilight shrugged.

"She's kinda grown on me, too," Spike said. "I mean...things have gotten a bit more interesting since she showed up."

"I think we've all taken a bit of a shine to her," Starlight added. "She's just so sweet and innocent...when she's not being scared, that is."

"And our own little Cutie Mark Crusaders have taken quite a liking to her, as well," Rarity added with a bit of a giggle.

"Did somepony say my name?"

The group looked up to see Moonlight approaching them with a yawn.

"Good morning, Moonlight," Twilight smiled. "How'd you sleep?"

Moonlight yanwned again before she looked up at Twilight with a bit of a tired smile and said "I actually slept really good...for once...I didn't have any nightmares of wolves chasing me. Oh! And guess what? Princess Luna came to see me!"

The older mares gasped.

"She did?" Twilight asked. "Well, what did she say?"

"She said that I should protect my necklace," Moonlight answered, "and that I'd never be alone because...you guys are all here with me!"

"Well, she's not wrong," Rarity replied.

"Just stick with us, kid," Rainbow Dash added. "We'll always have your back."

"Thanks, Rainbow Dash," Moonlight answered. "So, what are we gonna do today?"

"I was thinking that maybe, I could give you some magic lessons," said Twilight.

"Ooh! That sounds fun!" Moonlight chirped.

"And I'm practicing some new moves for the Wonderbolts Air Show, next week," Rainbow Dash added. "Maybe you can come and watch!"

"And after that," Fluttershy began, "you can help me give my animal friends a bath."

"Wow, that all sounds great!" Moonlight replied. "I can't wait to get started!"

But then, the doors opened, and in hopped Pinkie, just as cheery as she could be...if not, cheerier.

"Hi-hi-hi~!" she sang.

"Well, Pinkie," Twilight greeted, "if I didn't know better, you look...well...Pinkier than normal."

"That's because I'm throwing a party today~!" Pinkie exclaimed. "And guess what! You're ALL invited!"

"A party?" asked Moonlight. "What for?"

"Just for the sake of a party!" Pinkie answered. "Nothing like having good old fashioned fun, right?"

"Hey, works for me!" Rainbow Dash concurred. "Just toss in some of Applejack's homemade apple cider and it's a REAL party!"

"Umm...Pinkie?" asked Starlight. "Where is this party supposed to be?"

"Oh, it's in the Castle of the Two Sisters in the Everfree Forest," Pinkie replied, causing the others to gasp.

"Uh...did she say the Everfree Forest?" asked Applejack.

"But...that's where the wolves are supposed to be hiding out," said Rarity, nervously.

"And Shining Armor definitely won't let us go," Fluttershy said, "especially since more guards arrived, this morning."

"Yeah," Spike agreed. "Almost feels like Ponyville's on lockdown."

"Pinkie, why would it be in the Everfree Forest, anyway?" asked Twilight.

"I dunno," Pinkie answered. "Somepony left a note on the door of Sugarcube Corner, telling me to bring some friends to the castle, as soon as possible."

The others glanced at each other, skeptically.

"This sounds a mite suspicious to me," Applejack said.

"Yeah, somethin' stinks," Rainbow Dash agreed.

"What do you think, Twilight?" Starlight asked.

"...Let's check this 'party' out," Twilight answered.

"A-are you sure that's a good idea?" Moonlight inquired, worriedly.

"It's okay, Moonlight," Twilight replied. "We'll all be together."

"...Well...okay," Moonlight said. "I trust you."

"Yay!" Pinkie cheered. "Party time~! Ooh, I better go get my Deluxe Confetti Cannon!"

XXX

A little while later, the group was preparing to enter the Everfree Forest. However, before they could, they had been spotted by Shining Armor, who now had a some noticeable scars going down his left eye and several other guards.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Shining Armor called, causing Twilight and the others to look up at him. "Where do you all think you're going?"

"Hi, Shining Armor," Twilight said. "Pinkie says that there's a party in the Castle of the Two Sisters and-"

"Absolutlely not," Shining Armor interjected. "Those wolves could be hiding out in there. It's not safe...especially if she's going in there with you." He pointed his hoof at Moonlight, who blinked warily before she smiled.

"I-it's okay," the filly assured. "I feel safer if Twilight and the others are with me. And we've got Spike, too, and he scare them away with his fire breath."

Spike smirked proudly at the compliment.

"Besides, you said if we're going anywhere, we have to stay in a group," Twilight countered. "Remember that?"

Shining Armor scowled, not totally convinced.

"Shining, come on," Twilight said. "You know us. We'll be okay. We've got each other's back...please?"

A pause...but then Shining Armor sighed.

"Shoot up a magic flare the very moment you're in trouble," the white unicorn stallion said. "Do you understand?"

"Of course," Twilight nodded. "I promise."

"Good," Shining Armor nodded back, and with that, Twilight and friends entered the forest, and already, it felt as if they were being watched...and if they had looked up, they would've noticed a couple of wolves, glaring down at them from a cliff. The two lupines looked to each other before they nodded their heads and ran off...unaware that Rainbow Dash had spotted them, and needless to say she looked undecidely suspicious.

"Psst...!" she whispered, getting the others' attention. "Keep a sharp eye out...I don't think we're alone."

The group nodded their heads in agreement.

XXX

At the Castle of the Two Sisters, the wolves that had been spying on Twilight and company had just arrived and had entered the throneroom, where Warfang sat, picking his teeth with a bone. The two then bowed before him, causing him to look down at them.

"A report, King Warfang," said one of the wolves. "Princess Twilight Sparkle and her cohorts have arrived, just as you had predicted...and among them is the filly with the Stone of Wishes."

Warfang chuckled at this.

"Excellent," he said. "Let's prepare to welcome our little guests, shall we?"

"Sir!" the wolves saluted before they turned to head back outside.

"So, like, what are we gonna do for the party?" asked the other wolf.

"You moron," his partner answered. "There's not gonna BE a party! It's a trap set by King Warfang! Don't you remember?! Once that princess and her buddies show up here, we kill 'em and eat 'em so they can't use the Elements of Harmony! Killing that filly who has the Stone of Wishes is just a bonus! Then, we go to Canterlot where King Warfang is gonna kill Celestia in front of everypony to show them he's the boss, now! Then she's dead, the ponies cry, boo-hoo, we rule Equestria! End of story!"

"Oh~!" the dimmer wolf realized as he and his partner walked away. "Heheh! Cool! I love our job!"

Unbeknownst to the two wolves, Swiftclaw happened to be nearby...and he had overheard everything.

"...Kill them...?!" he whispered. "That means...Fluttershy will be...!"

"Am I interrupting something?"

Swiftclaw gasped before he turned and saw Warfang, who glared at him.

"I should've known you'd go soft," he hissed.

"You lied to me!" Swiftclaw shouted. "You promised me, no more killing!"

Warfang chuckled in a sinister manner.

"Why Swiftclaw," he said. "You know I often say things I don't mean."

"I won't let you do this!" Swiftclaw barked. "I won't let you kill any more ponies, especially Fluttershy!"

"...To think, I was going to give you another chance," Warfang scowled, "but now...I see where loyalties really lie..."

XXX

WHAM!! CLANG!!! Swiftclaw was thrown against a wall, and not long after, some iron bars were slammed behind him. The younger Wolf Prince ran to the bars and tried to open them, but alas, they wouldn't budge. He then glared up at Warfang while Stormhowl stood behind him, watching with worry.

"You should've just stuck with the plan, Swiftclaw," Warfang said, "but instead, you choose to align yourself with the lesser kind." He then glared darkly at him. "That being said...I'm afraid that I can no longer call you my son."

Swiftclaw's ears fell to the sides of his head while Warfang walked away. As for Stormhowl, he looked at his younger brother, sadly, as he approached him. Swiftclaw glared at him before he turned his head away, silently, and the elder Wolf Prince opened his mouth to speak...only to sigh as he turned and followed his father.

He knew that no matter how hard he tried...nothing would help the situation his brother was in, right now.

XXX

"Well, here we are," Applejack said as the group stood before the entrance of the Castle of the Two Sisters, staring up at its ruins with a slight sense of nostalgia. No matter how much time had passed, Twilight, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie would always remember this place as the time when they joined together as friends to defeat Nightmare Moon.

"...This place is almost spookier than I remember," said Rainbow Dash, "even in the daytime."

"Still think there's a party happening here, Pinkie Pie?" Starlight asked, worriedly.

"Abso-toot-ly!" Pinkie answered. "We're probably early! That's why there are no decorations, yet!"

"Only one way to find out," Twilight replied.

"T-Twilight?" Moonlight called, causing the purple alicorn to look at her. "I...I'm scared."

Twilight smiled as she gently nuzzled the filly.

"Don't worry," she said. "We're all here."

The others soon nodded their heads in agreement, and that caused Moonlight to smile back at them before the group continued on inside the castle. Everything was quiet...save for the sound of the wind, whistling through the empty corridors. There was an eerie chill in the air, and the gang looked around with slight nervousness...some more than others.

"Umm...hello?" Twilight called. "We're here for the party?"

A pause...but then, the group could hear the sound of snickering around them, and not long after, some mysterious figures began to appear from the shadows, causing the group to gasp as they soon found themselves surrounded.

"STILL think there's a party happening, Pinkie Pie?!" Spike questioned.

"Uh...okay, maybe not," Pinkie admitted, worriedly.

"Well, well, well..."

Twilight looked up to see Warfang appear from behind the old throne, along with Stormohowl.

"Hello...my little ponies," the alpha wolf greeted in a sinister tone and a toothy grin.

"...So," Twilight sneered, "YOU must be Warfang."

"My, my," Warfang said in mock surprise. "How very astute of you...Princess Twilight Sparkle."

"All right, you mangy walking flea hotel," Rainbow Dash glared, "what's your deal?!"

"Well, my dear," Warfang began, "my 'deal' is that...I'm working on a bit of a move, you see. Moving my pack into a new home...better than those frigid Jagged Fang Mountains. I was thinking someplace a little warmer...say...Canterlot?"

The ponies and Spike all gasped.

"Oh, great," Rainbow Dash grumbled. "ANOTHER power-hungry maniac."

"And I see you also did me the kindness of bringing the Stone of Wishes with you," Warfang said with a chuckle. "How positively delightful."

"The Stone of Wishes?" Twilight repeated. "What is that?"

"Oh, don't be so coy," Warfang replied as he pointed a claw at Moonlight. "It's hanging off that filly's neck!"

All eyes soon fell upon Moonlight, who looked down at her necklace.

"M...my necklace?" Moonlight asked.

"That necklace is not just pretty little trinket," Warfang said. "It is a very powerful artifact that will help me rule Equestria! Now...hand it over."

"No way!" Moonlight shouted in defiance. "I'm not giving it to you for anything!"

"My dear," Warfang answered, "I don't think I was ASKING permission. I'm getting that stone if I have to pry it off your cold, dead neck!"

Moonlight gulped in fear, but then Twilight stamped her hoof on the floor, setting herself between her and Warfang, and the others soon did the same.

"You'll have to get through US before we let you do ANYTHING to her," Twilight hissed venomously.

"Oh, believe me," Warfang said. "I plan to do just that." He then looked to his wolves. "GET THEM!!!"

"SCATTER!!!" Applejack yelled as the wolves lunged for them, only for the group to disperse and run about in all directions. Rainbow Dash ran off with Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Starlight were on their own, and Spike and Moonlight ran off with Twilight, who concentrated her magic and fired a beam of pinkish-purple light into the sky, which exploded into a burst of light...which Shining Armor could see from his post, which caused him to gasp.

"Twily...!" he whispered before he turned to the guards. "Unicorns! To the Castle of the Two Sisters!"

"Yes, sir!!" the guards exclaimed as they saluted their captain, who soon led the charge into the Everfree Forest.

Author's Note:

Why am I still awake? I should be sleeping. :pinkiecrazy:

I'll answer any comments after I wake up in the morning.