• Published 18th Oct 2017
  • 1,360 Views, 218 Comments

My Little Pony: The Rise of Warfang - XFangHeartX



When a young filly named Moonlight Essence shows up at the Castle of Friendship, Twilight can't seem to make sense of it...until word spreads of wolf attacks throughout Equestria.

  • ...
3
 218
 1,360

Ch. 18- The Nightmare Is Over

The dark clouds stopped swirling and the wind blew soft and silent. Ponies and wolves emerged from the rubble caused by Twilight and Warfang's destructive battle, some unscathed, some with quite grievous injuries. Shining Armor and Flurry looked up and saw Cadence, who hovered above them before she landed upon the ground and approached her beloved husband and daughter, who both embraced her happily. As for Twilight and the others, they all stood on the ground, now back to their normal forms as the Elements of Harmony flew off, heading back to the Tree of Harmony. Soon after, Spike, Starlight, Swiftclaw, and Stormhowl approached them, and Fluttershy smiled as she gave the younger Wolf Prince a tender hug, which he returned.

As the rain began to fall, everypony and wolf looked up at the sky as the moon began to rise from Luna's powers.

"...You know somethin'," said Applejack. "It's like...we just woke up from a long nightmare."

"Hmm..." Pinkie hummed before she bit her own hoof, causing her to yelp in pain. "...Nope! We're awake!"

"I can't believe we actually had to destroy the bad guy, this time," said Rainbow Dash.

"I don't think he was truly evil," said Starlight. "He was just corrupted by jealousy, hatred, and madness."

"And loss, too," Fluttershy added.

"Our Mother dying was what pushed our Father over the edge," said Swiftclaw. "In fact...I don't think he even knew what he wanted after that. Revenge? To conquer Equestria?"

"It's over now," said Rarity. "That's all that matters."

"You did it, Twilight," Spike smiled. "You defeated Warfang!"

"...I know," Twilight answered, solemnly as she looked down at the Stone of Wishes. "So...why don't I feel happy?"

At that moment, Celestia and Luna approached...the latter carrying Moonlight's dead body. Twilight looked up at them with misty eyes as Luna used her magic to gently lay the lifeless filly before her. The group stared sadly at the corpse before they lowered their heads in silent prayer, while Swiftclaw looked over to Twilight, who sat there with a trembling lip.

"...I'm...I'm so sorry about this," Swiftclaw whispered. "Truly, I am."

"...You're not the one who killed her," Twilight answered. "I'm not angry at you."

"Oh, Twilight..." Celestia whispered, sadly.

"...Is...is there really nothing we can do for her?" asked Twilight. "I mean...can't we use the Elements of Harmony to-"

"Twilight," Celestia chided, gently. "You know as well as I do that the Elements cannot be used in succession like that. The Tree of Harmony needs them." She then heaved a heavy sigh. "And besides...even though they are capable of performing may miracles...even the Elements of Harmony cannot revive the dead."

"...So...so that's it, then?" Twilight asked as her tears began to fall, once more. "Moonlight's really dead?"

"...I'm sorry, Twilight," Celestia apologized with the utmost sincerity. "I know you loved her so much."

Twilight sniffled before she looked down at Moonlight's dead body. Then she lied down on the ground and nuzzled the filly's corpse, softly sobbing as she did so. The others soon let their own tears fall, as well, now mourning the death of the young child. Even Swiftclaw and Stormhowl howled, sorrowfully.

However, as Twilight kept crying...the Stone of Wishes suddenly began to glow a warm, pink light. Soon after, it began to float into the air, catching everyone's attention.

"W-what's happening?" Rainbowh Dash asked.

"Ooh, pretty~!" Pinkie exclaimed.

"...Could it be...?" Celestia whispered in disbelief.

Soon after, the gemstone's light began to softly shine down on Moonlight...whose eyes began to open, to everyone's surprise.

"Mmm..." Moonlight groaned slightly as she raised her head, then looked around, and as her vision began to clear up...she saw Twilight, gaping at her with teary eyes. "...Twilight? W-why are you crying?"

A pause...but then Twilight smiled as she nuzzled Moonlight's face.

"I'm...just so happy!" the Princess of Friendship exclaimed.

Moonlight seemed to blink in confusion, but then she smiled and nuzzled Twilight back. The others smiled, as well...and Rainbow Dash, surprisingly, was reduced to a blubbering mess, so much so, she actually went and hugged Fluttershy, who smiled and hugged the Pegasus, nonetheless.

"How is it possible?" asked Luna.

"The stone will grany any wish," Celestia said with a knowing smile. "It appears that even it can bring the dead."

At that moment, Shining Armor, Cadence, and Flurry appeared.

"So what'd I miss?" Shining Armor asked.

"A lot," Swiftclaw replied.

Cadence looked around at all the damage that had been done.

"...Wow," she said. "Warfang sure did a number on Canterlot."

"Yeah," Rainbow Dash agreed. "This is gonna take forever to fix."

"The damage is great," Celestia said, "and the casualties are many...but there is nothing that we can't overcome, together."

"...If you want," said Swiftclaw, "we can help."

"I know the ponies may not concede to it," said Stormhowl, "but...we feel like it's the least we can do."

"Are you sure?" asked Celestia.

"Please let us help," Swiftclaw said before he bowed his head before the Princess of the Sun, along with Stormhowl.

"...Very well," Celestia smiled.

And so, everyone in Canterlot began to work together, tirelessly to repair the damage that had been done. While the ponies were still quite wary of the wolves, over time, they began to see the efforts they put in to rebuild the city and started to warm up to them...some more than others at least. The wolves became more friendly with the ponies, as well. In fact, some of them were even seen, playing with the children. Of course, the adults were around to make sure thing didn't get out of hand. Also, a funeral had been held for those who had fallen during Warfang's attack...both ponies and wolves alike.

Over the course of just a week-and-a-half, the repairs had been finished...and now, the wolves stood in Canterlot Castle before Twilight and the gang and the Royal Sisters, who sat in their respective thrones.

"We humbly thank you for all your help," Celestia said.

"Think nothing of it, Princess Celestia," replied Stormhowl. "It's the least we could do...after everything that's happened."

"So," Luna began, "what do you plan to do now?"

A pause...but then Stormhowl sighed.

"Father is gone," he said. "Someone now has to lead the pack in his stead...and seeing as how I'm the oldest, it appears it has to be me."

"So it seems," Celestia mused...but she noticed a slightly solemn tone in Stormhowl's voice.

"...But...after further thought," Stormhowl began, "I realize that I'm not fit to lead the pack, either."

Hearing that caused the whole room to gasp.

"Stormhowl, what are you saying?!" Swiftclaw questioned in disbelief.

"I'm saying," Stormhowl began, "that while I am the oldest son...I'm no different from my Father. I, too, have shed the blood of the innocent. I followed my Father's ideals, despite being unsure, myself...that is my sin."

"...At least you admit to that," said Twilight. "That makes you better than your father."

"Even so," Stormhowl said, "I do not deserve the role of king." He then looked over to Swiftclaw, who blinked at him in bewilderment, which caused him to smile. "But I do know someone who does."

"M...me?!" Swiftclaw stammered.

"Swiftclaw," Stormhowl began, "you were always different from us. You have shown kindness and you were willing to make peace with the ponies. You were reluctant to follow Father's orders because you knew in your heart of hearts that it was wrong...I knew it, too, but I went along with them." He then put his paw on Swiftclaw's shoulder. "Swiftclaw...if anyone should be the new Wolf King...it should be you."

"I couldn't agree more," Fluttershy smiled as she stood beside Swiftclaw.

"I...I don't know what to say!" Swiftclaw exclaimed. "Except..." He then raised his head with a determined expression. "...I'll do my best."

"I hope so," Celestia smiled. "But...just to seal the deal." Her horn flashed a white aura, which began to swirl around Swiftclaw, who slightly floated up in the air. Then, his armor began to change color, from a dark red...to a pure, luxurious gold. Not just that, but a golden helmet on his head, holding a bejeweled crown.

"...Whoa...!" Rainbow Dash gaped.

"How marvelous...!" Rarity whispered in awe.

"...Now that is more befitting of a king," said Luna.

"I think so, too," Fluttershy agreed, causing Swiftclaw to smile...but then his smile quickly fell, as did Fluttershy's.

"...It looks like this is goodbye, then," the yellow Pegasus said, sadly.

"...Yeah...I guess so," Swiftclaw replied. "I...I'm the Wolf King now, and...I have to fix everything that my Father's ruined. I know that there a lot of ponies out there that probably won't forgive us...but hopefully, in the future, they will."

"I hope they do, too," said Fluttershy. "But...you can always come and see me, you know."

"...I know," Swiftclaw smiled, causing her smile to come back, too. "Thank you, Fluttershy...I never had a friend like you."

A pause...but then Fluttershy went up and embraced Swiftclaw, who returned her hug, while everypony and every wolf in the room smiled warmly at the sight.

"Friendship truly transcends all species," said Celestia.

"And they can even last lifetimes," Starlight added.

"Thank you for everything," Swiftclaw said as he pulled away from Fluttershy. "And now...we bid you, farewell." On that, he turned and walked away, but not without turning to his pack. "Come, wolves!"

"Yes, King Swiftclaw!!" exclaimed Stormhowl and the wolves, who proceeded to follow their new king out.

"Bye!" Pinkie waved. "Don't forget to write!" She then turned to the others. "They were nice."

"So...now what do we do?" Spike asked. "Go back to Ponyville?"

"...I have somewhere to be, actually," Twilight answered...before she looked down at Moonlight, who blinked up at her, wearing the Stone of Wishes around her neck.

XXX

Knock-knock-knock!

"Coming! Hang on!"

The door opened, revealing Twilight Velvet, who gasped upon seeing her son and daughter.

"Shining Armor! Twilight!" Velvet exclaimed before she noticed her son's new scars. "Oh, dear...Shining, what in the world happened to you?!"

"Long story short," Shining Armor began, "I got into a bit of a scrape with some wolves."

"Oh, yes," Velvet recalled. "That was truly awful...I'm glad you're both all right...oh! But don't just stand out there! Please, come in!"

"We'd love to," Twilight replied. "Uh...leave the door open, though? Please?"

"Huh?" Velvet asked. "Why?"

"Trust me," said her daughter as she walked in with Shining Armor.

"Well...if you say so," said Velvet before she looked upstairs. "Night Light! Look who's here!"

No sooner had she announced this, Night Light soon came out and gasped in surprised upon seeing his kids.

"Well, I'll be!" he exclaimed as he went downstairs to greet his kids. "Shining Armor and Twilight!" He chuckled as he hugged them. "So good to see that you two are okay!" He then noticed his son's scars. "Ooh! Nice scars, there, son!"

"Hehehehe..." Shining Armor chuckled. "Thanks, Pop."

"I bet Cadence finds you a little more...appealing, huh?" Night Light asked with a wink, causing his son to laugh.

"Dad, come on!" he exclaimed.

"Umm...excuse me?"

Velvet and Night Light turned to see Moonlight, standing in the doorway.

"C-can I come in?" asked Moonlight.

"Well, of course you can, dear!" Velvet replied, prompting the filly to enter.

"Who's this little one?" asked Night Light.

"This is Moonlight Essence," said Twilight. "Mom...Dad...she's an orphan."

Twilight's parents both gasped silently.

"Her family was killed in one of the wolf attacks," Twilight continued. "She showed up at my castle one night, during a storm. She has no home and nowhere to go...and...well..." She looked at her parents with a serious expression on her face. "I wanna adopt her...as my sister!"

Velvet and Night Light blinked before they glanced at each other, then back at Twilight.

"Are you sure that's what you want, sweetie?" asked Night Light.

"Yes," Twilight answered. "During the time I've known here, we've bonded so well...and...I don't know what I'd do if she wasn't with me!" She then screwed her eyes shut to fight off her tears. "I...I love her, Mom and Dad, and...she loves me! Please...let her be part of our family!"

A pause...but then the unicorns smiled.

"Twilight," Velvet began, "you don't need to sound so frantic."

"I...I don't?" Twilight asked.

"Sweetheart," Night Light began, "if you want Moonlight to be part of our family, then we'll gladly take her in."

"Really?!" Twilight asked, happily, with tears welling up in her eyes, while Moonlight also beamed brightly.

"You'll...you'll really adopt me?!" she asked.

"Of course we would, dear," said Velvet. "Welcome to the Sparkle Family."

"Of course, we'll have to go through some things, first," Night Light pointed out, "but still...welcome to the family, Moonlight."

"I can't believe I have a new little sister," Shining Armor said as he nuzzled Moonlight, who laughed as she nuzzled him back.

"I can't believe I have a big brother!" she exclaimed before she looked up at Twilight, who smiled at her lovingly before the filly went up to nuzzle her, too. "I have a family again...thank you, Twilight."

"I told you I'd always be here for you," Twilight answered...and soon after, a small flash of light suddenly appeared, causing the Sparkle Family to gasp as they looked at their newest member.

"What?" asked Moonlight. "What is it?"

"Look at your flank!" Shining Armor exclaimed, prompting the filly to look at her right flank before she gasped, as well: it looked like the pink star that made up Twilight's cutie mark...but joining it was a smaller white star...and it almost like they were holding hands.

"My...my cutie mark!" Moonlight exclaimed. "I got my cutie mark!! YAY~!!!"

The whole Sparkle Family rejoiced as Moonlight happily bounced around Twilight...which gave them a sense of déjà vu. Nonetheless, they were happy for their newest family member.

At last...Moonlight had found her place: to be with Twilight, always and forever.

Author's Note:

Well, that's it! The end.

...Well, okay, there's still an epilogue left, but I hope you guys have enjoyed the story! It's been a bit of crazy ride and I know I probably didn't do too well on this, but I hope to improve the more I write.

Thank you for reading. :twilightsmile: