• Published 18th Oct 2017
  • 1,360 Views, 218 Comments

My Little Pony: The Rise of Warfang - XFangHeartX



When a young filly named Moonlight Essence shows up at the Castle of Friendship, Twilight can't seem to make sense of it...until word spreads of wolf attacks throughout Equestria.

  • ...
3
 218
 1,360

Ch. 14- Twilight's Choice

"There has to be another way!!" Twilight cried. "Please, Princess Celestia...maybe I can try and convince Moonlight to give up the stone! I mean...it might take a while, but-"

"Twilight," Celestia said, sternly. "I know you mean well...but the longer Moonlight stays here, the more danger she'll be in, as well as the rest of Ponyville."

Twilight lowered her head and whimpered while Spike put a reassuring claw on her shoulder, and Pinkie even nuzzled her face in an attempt to console her.

"I know it sounds like a lot to ask from you," Celestia began, "but you have to consider what's at stake, here."

"But Princess Celestia," Twilight began, "we told Moonlight we wouldn't get rid of her! What if she gets the wrong idea?!"

"Yeah, she's just a kid!" Rainbow Dash added. "She won't understand!"

"She'll be plumb devastated!" Applejack added.

"And think about our local Cutie Mark Crusaders!" Rarity added. "They'll never forgive us for sending their newest friend and member away!"

"Maybe they won't understand, now," said Celestia, "but they will, eventually, when they get to be your age."

"...But...but Princess Celestia...!" Twilight said as her tears spilled. "I...I was going to have Moonlight live here in the castle with me! I...I love her!"

"I can tell that you do," Celestia said with the utmost sincerity, "and it pains me to have you make such a choice. I felt the same way when I banished Luna to the moon...but Twilight...sometimes, you have to ignore your feelings and do the right thing...especially when the fate of Equestria hangs in the balance."

Twilight nodded her head, trying her best to wipe her eyes.

"...It's late," Celestia said. "Perhaps you'll think better when you've had some rest...but I'll give you until sunset tomorrow to come to a decision."

On that, she walked out to get Cadence and Flurry, while Twilight just stood there, silently with her tears still falling to the floor. All her friends could do was huddle around her in a group hug in an attempt to console her. As for Switftclaw, he only stood by, watching sadly as Twilight continued to cry.

After a while, the others decided it was time to go home, but Applejack told Twilight to come to them if she needed them, which she agreed to do. Cadence said her goodbyes to Twilight and tried her best to assure her that everything would be okay, and even Flurry tried to cheer her up, but her younger sister-in-law still seemed inconsolable. Once they were gone, Twilight, Starlight, and Spike prepared to retire for the night. However, Twilight had to find Moonlight and take her to bed, first. It didn't take very long, though, for she found her asleep in the library with her head on the table and surrounded by various paints, mostly purple, hot pink, lavender, and grayish blue. There were paint stains and a messy paint brush on the table and floor, but Twilight figured she could clean those tomorrow morning.

The purple alicorn used her magic to gently lift Moonlight and put the exhausted filly on her back. However, when she looked down at the table, she noticed a piece of paper lying there. She picked it up and, upon getting a closer look...Twilight felt her tears coming back to her, once again.

It was a picture of her and Moonlight, standing under a heart, and above that were the words "My New Big Sister" written in pink crayon.

As if the situation wasn't harder than it is, already.

XXX

The next morning, Twilight was lying in bed, looking very tired and red-eyed from crying so much. Moonlight was lying in bed, next to her, also sound asleep, completely unaware of how Twilight was feeling.

She already thought about the pros and cons of having Celestia take Moonlight to Canterlot.

Pros: Moonlight and the Stone of Wishes would be well-protected under Celestia's watch, Ponyville would no longer be under threat from the wolves, Twilight could still come and visit Moonlight, and she might even get enrolled in Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns.

Cons: Moonlight wouldn't understand why she had to leave, call Twilight a liar for promising her that she wouldn't get rid of her, and might even rip up the picture she made for Twilight.

"...Ohh..." Twilight sighed as she hugged her pillow. "It's no use...I can't decide...!"

"Can't decide what?"

Twilight gasped as she looked down at Moonlight, who yawned as she blinked up at her, tiredly.

"Uhh...I can't decide...what we're going to have for breakfast!" Twilight replied. "Yeah, that's it!"

"Oh," Moonlight answered. "...Uh...Twilight? Are you okay? You look really tired."

"...It's...it's nothing you need to worry about," Twilight answered. "I just...had a bad dream, but it's okay now."

"Are you sure?" Moonlight asked.

"Yeah, I'm sure," Twilight answered.

"Who wants pancakes?" asked Starlight. "I just made a batch, this morning!"

"Yummy!" Moonlight exclaimed as she ran to get some, but Twilight remained behind, watching with sad, tired eyes.

"Wow," Starlight answered. "For somepony who found out she's leaving Ponyville, she's taking this surprisingly well."

"...Yep," Twilight replied with a nervous chuckle. "Really, really well."

"...Uh...Twilight?" Starlight asked. "You DID tell Moonlight...right?"

"... ... ..." Twilight bit her lip, pinned her ears back, and started sweating nervously.

"You didn't tell her, yet?!" Starlight questioned in shock.

"Shh~!!" Twilight shushed. "Not so loud...!!" She then sighed. "Okay, no! I didn't tell her, yet, but I can't tell her, don't you see?! It'll break her heart!"

"Twilight, she's going to suspect something when we take the train to Canterlot, today!" answered Starlight. "If you don't tell her now, then she really will be mad at you!"

"But Starlight," Twilight said, "how could I tell her that she's not going to live with me, after all?! Especially after I found this?!" She then showed Starlight the picture Moonlight painted for her...and needless to say, Starlight was rather moved.

"...I...I guess that does make things harder, doesn't it?" Starlight asked. "But Twilight...you HAVE to tell her...or you'll come to regret it."

"...I...I guess you're right, Starlight," Twilight said. "...But...I just wish it didn't make me so unhappy!"

"Believe me...this isn't easy for me, either," Starlight answered, "but it's best that she knows now...so you better go and tell her."

Twilight heaved a sigh before she headed downstairs and found Moonlight sitting at the table with Spike and Shining Armor, who smiled at her fondly as she ate her pancakes before they noticed Twilight approach.

"Hey, Twily," Shining Armor greeted before he noticed her exhausted visage. "Hey, you okay? You don't look so good."

"Yeah, you look exhausted," Spike added.

"So I've been told," Twilight answered. "Anyway...I-I need to get tickets for the Friendship Express. We're going to Canterlot, today."

"Ooh, what for?!" Moonlight asked, excitedly. "Am I going, too?!"

"Uh...yes!" Twilight replied. "We're all going! Me, you, Spike, Starlight, Shining Armor, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie, too!"

"Yay!" Moonlight cheered. "Will we get to see Princess Celestia, too?"

"...Yeah...we're gonna see Princess Celestia, too," Twilight answered.

"Whoo-hoo!" cheered Moonlight before she turned and ran out. "I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait!"

"... ... ..." Twilight sighed as she rested her head on the table, to Shining Armor and Spike's concern.

"...You haven't told her, have you?" asked Spike.

"No, Spike, I haven't," Twilight answered, irritably. "Obviously."

"...This is about what happened last night, isn't it?" Shining Armor inquired.

"You know?" Twilight asked.

"Princess Celestia told me," Shining Armor answered. "Twily, honestly, I'd be thrilled to have another little sister around...but I do have to agree with Princess Celestia on this one: Moonlight's safety, as well the safety of Equestria comes first."

"You sound just like her," said Twilight. She felt like she wanted to cry, but she couldn't, not after last night.

"It'll be okay, Twilight," Spike said as he put a claw on her shoulder. "We'll be right behind you!"

"...Thank you, Spike," Twilight smiled.

Just then, they heard the door open, and sure enough, Applejack and the others entered the room. Even Swiftclaw had come along.

"Hey, Twi," Applejack greeted, only to notice how tired Twilight looked. "Aw, sugarcube...don't tell me you've been cryin' all night."

Twilight nodded her head in response.

"Oh, Twilight," Rarity said. "We don't want Moonlight to go either...but this is for her own good."

"And at least Princess Celestia said we can visit her!" Pinkie added. "That's good, right?"

"I know that we can visit her," Twilight replied. "It's just..."

"It won't be enough, will it?" Fluttershy asked.

"...No," Twilight answered.

"Well, we got no choice," Rainbow Dash said. "The train's gonna leave in an hour."

"So let's get Moonlight and get goin'," Applejack said.

"Umm...if it's okay with all of you," Swiftclaw began, "I think I'll hide in the luggage car of the train."

"I understand, Swiftclaw," Fluttershy answered. "I might be used to you, but I'd hate for other ponies to panic if they saw you."

"You can rest on the train, Twilight," Shining Armor suggested.

"Yeah...that's a good idea," Twilight answered before she turned to see Starlight. "Starlight, we're getting ready to take the train."

"Okay then," Starlight replied. "Where's Moonlight?"

"Here I am!" Moonlight answered as she entered the room. "Are we leaving, now?"

"The train leaves in an hour," said Twilight. "If we hurry, we can catch it before it leaves."

XXX

The train ride was rather...uneventful at best. Swiftclaw, not wanting to draw any unwanted attention, stayed in the luggage car the whole time and tried his best to avoid being seen. Moonlight still enjoyed being on board, though. She wouldn't stop talking about how everything seemed to go so much faster than being on a carriage. Of course, due to it being her first time riding aboard a train, the filly was actually prone to motion sickness quite easily. She spent most of the ride trying to rest with Twilight, who had a wing wrapped around her as she, too, had fallen asleep during the ride.

Seeing the sight made the others smile sweetly at them...but it also made it rather sad, knowing that the two would have to part ways, soon. What made it worse that none of them knew that Twilight hadn't told Moonlight why they were going to Canterlot.

It wasn't very long before they had arrived at the station, and the train gave a lurching heave as it came to a stop.

"All change!" the conductor called. "Everybody off!"

"Twily," Shining Armor whispered as he nudged Twilight, who sleepily opened her eyes. "We're here."

Twilight only frowned in response before she looked down at Moonlight, who was still sleeping by her side, before she gently nuzzled the filly.

"Moonlight," she called, softly. "Wake up. We're here."

"Hmm..." Moonlight groaned as she began to stir. "We're here, already?"

"Yep," Twilight replied, while Moonlight gave a rather big yawn. After she took a moment to wake up, completely, she soon joined Twilight and the others and headed outside. As the group left the train, Rainbow Dash noticed Pinkie Pie holding a suitcase in her mouth.

"What's with the suitcase, Pinkie Pie?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Oh, it's just for an emergency," Pinkie answered with a wink.

"...Ooookay," Rainbow Dash muttered.

Fluttershy glanced behind her and she could barely make out Swiftclaw hiding in the shadows near the train station.

"Are you sure you don't mind waiting for us here?" asked Fluttershy.

"Just go," Swiftclaw answered, softly. "Trust me, I'm better off here. You go on and meet with Princess Celestia."

Fluttershy nodded before she turned and walked away, following after her friends. As they walked, Moonlight gaped in awe at her surroundings.

"Wow...!" she whispered in amazement. "So this is Canterlot! Starburst was right! It really is pretty! Look at all the tall buildings, and look at all the fancy clothes everypony is wearing!"

"Some of those clothes were made by yours truly, darling," Rarity spoke with a bit of pride in her voice. "I actually have a boutique stationed here!"

"You do?!" asked Moonlight. "Wow, Rarity, you must be a great fashion designer! Do you think you could make me a pretty dress, one day?"

"Oh...whenever I find the time," Rarity answered.

"See, Twilight?" Starlight asked. "She's gonna love it here."

"She does look pretty enthusiastic, huh?" asked Twilight, although the sound of her voice did not sound as such.

"...You still haven't told her yet, have you?" Spike asked.

"...No," Twilight admitted.

"Twilight!" Starlight chided.

"I know, I know!" Twilight replied. "It's just...it's so hard!"

"Twi, she's gotta know why we're really here," said Applejack, "and it seems to me that now's as good a time as any!"

A pause...but then Twilight sighed before she approached Moonlight.

"Moonlight?" she called, getting the filly's attention.

"Yeah, Twilight?" asked Moonlight.

"There's...something I need to tell you," Twilight said. "It's...it's not for me to say."

"What is it, Twilight?" asked Moonlight.

"Well...y-you see," Twilight stammered. "Umm...well...the thing is...err..."

"Oh, no..." Shining Armor murmured.

"She's blowing it...!" Rainbow Dash winced.

Twilight cleared her throat. "Okay, Moonlight...the reason why we're here is because-"

"Well, isn't this a surprise?"

Twilight gasped as she looked up and saw Celestia approach.

"P-Princess Celestia!" Twilight stuttered.

"Hi, Princess Celestia!" Moonlight greeted, eagerly.

"Hello, Moonlight," Celestia greeted back. "I'm glad you're here, little one."

"I'm glad I'm here, too!" Moonlight replied. "But is it okay if we talk later? Twilight was about to tell me something."

"There will be plenty of time for that," Celestia answered, "once we get you settled into your new home."

Moonlight's smile soon fell and her ears drooped to the sides of her head, while Twilight and the others felt their hearts drop.

"W...what?" Moonlight asked before she looked up at Twilight. "You're...you're sending me away?"

"Moonlight, I-I'm sorry," Twilight answered. "I tried to tell you-"

"But I don't understand," Moonlight said as her voice began to break while other ponies in the street began to turn their eyes on her. "You said you wouldn't get rid of me!"

"I'm not!" Twilight retorted. "Moonlight, please, let me explain!"

"I don't believe this!" Moonlight shouted with tears welling up in her eyes. "You lied to me! YOU LIED!!" On that, she ran off into the streets.

"Wait!!" Twilight called before she flapped her wings and took off after her. "Moonlight, come back!!"

Celestia only watched sadly before she looked to the others.

"I...I didn't know that Twilight didn't tell her," she said. "I certainly made a mess of things, didn't I?"

"It's not your fault," Fluttershy replied.

"If it were me, Twilight would probably do the same thing," Spike said. "Right?"

"Of course she would, Spike," Celestia answered. "I suppose that's just how much she loves Moonlight...but even so, she has to think of the greater good."

"We know," Rarity replied. "We just hope Moonlight will understand."

XXX

"Moonlight~!" called Twilight as she soared over the city. "Moonlight, where are you?!"

She could see many ponies beneath her, but she saw no sign of the grayish-blue coated unicorn. Not even a single lock of her mane was to be found, and that only made Twilight grow more anxious. She had been looking for almost 30 minutes and still saw neither hide nor hair of the filly.

'Oh, Moonlight, where are you?' she thought. 'Starlight was right...I should've told you sooner! Now you could be lost and hurt and it's all my fault!'

Just then, she gasped as she spotted something down below, sitting under a gazebo, and upon getting a closer look, she saw that it was Moonlight...sitting with Cadence with a cup of tea in front of her.

"Moonlight!" Twilight exclaimed as she landed in front of them. "And...Cadence? What are you doing here?"

"I found this little one, all alone and crying," Cadence answered, "so I offered her a cup of tea and a chat."

A pause...but then Twilight heaved a sigh.

"...Moonlight?" she asked. "Can I PLEASE talk to you?"

Moonlight blinked before she looked up at Cadence.

"You should at least hear her out," the Crystal Princess said, which caused Moonlight to nod her head before she looked to Twilight.

"Okay, Twilight," said the filly. "You can tell me why you really brought me here to Canterlot."

"...It's not because I don't want you to be with me," Twilight said as she approached Moonlight. "In fact, it's because of that that I couldn't tell you why we came here in the first place! Especially after I saw...that picture you made me."

"...You saw it?" Moonlight asked.

"Yes," Twilight answered, "and Moonlight...I loved it so much. It made me feel so happy that you thought of me as your big sister...and I wanted you to stay with me so we could both experience that happiness, together!" She then sniffled, but shook her head to try and keep herself from crying. "But...I wanted it so badly, I wasn't thinking about what was best for you or Equestria."

"What do you mean?" asked Moonlight.

"Moonlight...Warfang is going to stop at nothing to get that necklace of yours," Twilight said, pointing to the Stone of Wishes on Moonlight's neck. "And...let's be honest...you won't be safe in Ponyville, and if Warfang gets his paws on the stone...there's no telling what could happen!"

"...Oh," Moonlight muttered. "I guess...it would be pretty bad, huh?"

"Yes, Moonlight," Twilight answered. "That's why you have to stay here."

"...I guess you have a point then," Moonlight said. "...But Twilight?"

"Yes?"

"You'll still come and see me...won't you?"

A pause...but then Twilight wrapped her forelegs around Moonlight, who returned her hug.

"Of course I will," Twilight answered.

"...Okay," Moonlight replied. "That's all I needed to know."

Cadence smiled softly at the sweet scene before she went over and put a hoof on her younger sister-in-law's shoulder.

"You're doing the right thing, Twilight," she assured.

"...I hope so," Twilight answered.

XXX

Later on, Twilight and Moonlight had met up with Applejack and the others, as well as Celestia at Canterlot Castle. Once there, Twilight decided to have Moonlight say her goodbyes to everypony.

"Aw, sugarcube," Applejack said to Moonlight. "Ponyville just won't be the same without you."

"...Will you tell Apple Bloom I'm sorry that I didn't get to say goodbye?" asked Moonlight.

"Sure I will," Applejack replied, "and I promise to bring her along with me when we come to visit. Sound good?"

"Uh-huh," Moonlight nodded.

"I got a Wonderbolts show coming up in a couple of weeks," Rainbow Dash spoke up. "I'll be sure to save a special seat for you, just like with my other friends."

"Thanks, Rainbow Dash," Moonlight said.

"Sure thing, kiddo," Rainbow Dash replied, playfully ruffling her mane with her hoof. "You keep on keepin' on, you hear me?"

"Yeah," Moonlight replied.

"Sweetie Belle and I will be sure to visit when we can," Rarity said. "And if not, we'll be sure to send a care package, just to let you know we're thinking about you."

"That sounds nice," Moonlight replied.

"And maybe next time," Pinkie began, "we can have a party when we come and see you! We'll call it Moonlight's Special V.I.P Jamboree! How does that sound?"

"That sounds fun, Pinkie Pie," said Moonlight with a slight smile. "I look forward to it."

"One day, maybe you and I could go out in the garden and play with some of the animals," Fluttershy suggested. "I might even be able to pick out a pet for you, if you want."

"We'll see," said Moonlight. "Still...that does sound nice. Thanks, Fluttershy."

"We're sure gonna miss you, Moonlight," Spike said. "I mean...you kinda grew on me."

"You grew on everypony," Starlight added, "but this is for the best. You'll be much safer here in Canterlot."

"And just think," Shining Armor said. "My sister can come and give you some pointers on magic. Even better, she might help you get into Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns!"

"I...I don't know if I'm gifted," Moonlight answered, "but I do hope Twilight visits me soon."

"I'll come and visit you tomorrow," Twilight said, "and I'll bring my friends, too...and Moonlight?"

"Yeah?" Moonlight asked.

"Don't ever forget," Twilight began, "I'll ALWAYS be with you."

A pause...but then Moonlight ran up and nuzzled her face against Twilight's chest as tears began to form in the corners of her eyes.

"...I love you, Twilight...!" she whispered.

"...I love you, too," Twilight whispered as she nuzzled the filly.

"Moonlight," Celestia called. "It's time to go."

Moonlight before she proceeded to follow after the Princess of the Sun, but not before she turned and waved to Twilight and company, who all waved back at her before they both crossed the bridge to the castle. As they did, Twilight heaved a sigh before she turned and walked away.

"Let's go home..." she whispered, and soon, the others sadly followed behind her.

XXX

Celestia and Moonlight entered the castle, the latter looking quite solemn as she walked at a sluggish pace behind the former, who looked down at her while giving a sincere smile.

"Oh, Moonlight," said Celestia. "I know you didn't want Twilight Sparkle and the others to leave...but trust me. Sooner or later, you'll learn to love it here."

"...I guess so," Moonlight replied.

"And besides," Celestia began, "Twilight's coming to see you, tomorrow, and she'll be very happy to see you."

"I know," Moonlight replied, "it's just..."

"...It won't really be the same as you spending the nights in the Castle of Friendship with her, will it?" Celestia asked. "I understand."

"You do?" asked Moonlight.

"More than you know," Celestia said. "For a thousand years, I felt that things just weren't the same without my sister, Luna, by my side. I missed her every day that she wasn't around, and I used to cling to the hope that me banishing her to the moon was just a bad dream. That's why I'm so grateful to Twilight and her friends. I knew that they were ones who could not only defeat Luna when she was Nightmare Moon, but also bring her back to her senses. Now that I have Luna back, I can't imagine going through another time without her."

"...Having a sister must be a great thing, huh?" asked Moonlight.

"Well, you should know," Celestia replied. "You had two of them."

"...Yeah," Moonlight smiled. "I did."

Celestia chuckled as she and Moonlight kept walking...but as they did, the former seemed to freeze and sniff the air.

"...What is that smell?" she asked, which prompted Moonlight to sniff the air, too...and immediately, she paled.

"...It's...it's blood...!" she whispered.

"Moonlight, you stay close to me," Celestia said as she began to hurry to the throne rome. As she did, she gasped as she saw something that made her blood run cold: a trail of some of her guards...all of them, dead and lying in pools of blood. The very sight made Moonlight gag while her stomach lurched, and Celestia's heart pounded in her chest...but then she exhaled as she tried to keep a leveled head, then began to walk toward the throne room, bracing herself for the worst, and when she looked inside...she gasped in horror.

"Warfang!!" she shouted.

Yes. There, standing before the Royal Sisters' respective thrones...was Warfang, who was busy devouring the corpse of one of Celestia's unicorn guards. He stopped, however, when he heard the princess shout his name, causing him to turn and look at her. Soon after, he grinned as blood dripped from his maw.

"Well, well," he said. "Long time, no see...Celestia. And I see you brought me my stone."

Moonlight whimpered as she began to back away in fright while her necklace glimmered.

'Twilight...help me...!!'