• Published 17th Jul 2012
  • 3,357 Views, 170 Comments

War in Equestria: The Tale of Bright Blade - Michael_Ravencroft



An evil long kept secret rises from the depths, threatening war on Equestria, and all hope lies with a young colt...Bright Blade and the Elements of Harmony must work together to defeat an army of demon ponies and save their world from darkness!

  • ...
17
 170
 3,357

Chapter 39

Chapter 39: The Gifts of Hope

***Everfree Forest – Zecora's hut – five minutes later***

The cloudless rain had reached all the way to the Everfree Forest. Within the mysterious woods, the creatures that dwelled within began to wail, crying out. From the window of her hut, Zecora watched the rain fall over everything, and at the dark gray sky that radiated sadness. The wise zebra then turned around as she saw the Crusaders, with tears flowing from their eyes.

"Hear now little fillies, why have you been brought to tears," asked Zecora.

"We-we don't know," said Scootaloo.

"It's like a sharp pain in our chest," said Sweetie Belle.

"Are we sick or somethin'," asked Apple Bloom.

Zecora eyed the three fillies, as if trying to see beyond their physical forms. She then glanced back to the gray sky and cloudless rain; it hit her almost immediately, the connection between all three. "I…I am sorry, the hour is here, my dears. Hope has died upon this day, the sky cries in dismay…"

The three fillies took a moment to understand what Zecora said. "Hope had died," that phrase stuck out in their minds for some reason. It echoed in the back of their minds and reverberated within their little hearts. "You're lying…YOU'RE LYING," shouted Scootaloo. The orange pegasus filly zoomed off toward Zecora, she stared angrily at the zebra, tears falling down her face. "THERE'S NO WAY BRIGHT BLADE IS DEAD! HE'S SUPER STRONG, AND – AND – THE OTHERS WOULDN'T LET THAT HAPPEN!!!"

Zecora said nothing, she didn't need to, Scootaloo knew that she never told lie. Scootaloo then started to beat her hooves against Zecora's chest as she sobbed; the striped mare closed her eyes and brought her left foreleg to embrace the young filly, letting her continue to cry. Sweetie Belle had collapsed onto the floor and was sobbing as loudly as Scootaloo. Apple Bloom was still standing, her head hung low as she bit on her lower lip, trying to stifle herself from breaking down, trying to remain strong.

Their crying mixed with the wails of the beasts from the forest, the despair creeping into their hearts. Sweetie Belle lifted her head up, having buried her face in her hooves. She looked around, at the sad faces, at the tears being shed. No more…no more sadness!

The white unicorn filly rose to her hooves, she then began trotting towards the front door. Using her magic she twisted the doorknob and opened the door. The others looked at Sweetie Belle, having stopped crying long enough to notice what she was doing. Sweetie Belle, with a shaky, heavy sigh, stepped into the rain. She was getting completely soaked, her mane losing its fluff, and her tail drooping low. Sweetie continued on till she was at least ten feet from the hut. She gazed upwards to the sky, still clear, but raining all the same. Zecora, Scootaloo, and Apple Bloom all came outside, wondering what Sweetie Belle was up to.

"Sweetie Belle…?"

"What are ya doin'?"

Sweetie closed her eyes. For you Bright Blade, thought Sweetie Belle.

To the surprise of all, Sweetie began to sing. Her voice was beautiful, melodious, and heartwarming. She sang of hope, and of the world. Her horn began to shine as she sang, rather intentionally or not, Sweetie's magic began to flare, emitting a powerful wave of magic that washed over the entire area. Her voice began to echo, acting as her chorus. Scootaloo and Apple Bloom started to hear something else, a piano, they looked around frantically, but there was none to be found. Their gaze returned to Sweetie Belle's horn, which was now pulsing in rhythm with the ghostly piano music. For some reason, while in the field of her magic, the cloudless rain did not fall, as if it refused to touch the area. Sweetie's song reached the ears of the beasts within the Everfree, ceasing their crying wails, as if the song were soothing them.

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo smiled, hearing their friend sing with such passion and feeling, it somehow soothed their aching hearts. They closed their eyes, shutting off their sense of sight in order to better hear Sweetie Belle.

All three of the fillies' minds began to flashback to the days of long ago. When they first became the Cutie Mark Crusaders, how each and every day they strived to find ways to earn their marks. Recalling the countless shenanigans and mishaps they encountered in their endeavors, and though they were met with disappointment they never gave up.

Suddenly an image popped into their minds, it was Bright Blade. It made no sense as their memories of their past continued to play out in their minds. He seemed to be watching them, at times with an encouraging smile, others with a comforting smile. He wasn't a solid being, Bright was transparent, like a ghost, it just didn't make sense. After a minute their minds started to make the connection, the reason that made them keep trying so hard to earn their marks, it was him, more specifically, it was hope. It was the one thing that drove them, the one thing that made each new day promising.

Apple Bloom's memories started to become more specific, before the First Siege of Ponyville, when Bright helped her reinforce the half-pipe that Scootaloo shoddily made. And again during the Second Siege, when she picked up the hammer and used it to fight the Daemoni, another memory of when her and her friends were getting ready for the talent show made itself known. During their preparations for the show she saw herself giving advice to Sweetie Belle about making a proper set and how to use the sewing equipment more efficiently. Lastly, the deep sense of pride Apple Bloom felt when she spruced up their clubhouse. The memories all clicked together, their meaning as plain as day to Apple Bloom.

Scootaloo remembered back to the day of the half-pipe, how she shredded, and performed one daredevil trick after the other. How, when they rescued the Cake twins, she saw the flames raging. She never told her friends this, but the flames were somehow enticing to her, how they danced so brilliantly. The next memory showed her teaching Apple Bloom how to dance, and suddenly it all made sense to Scootaloo.

Sweetie Belle, even while she sang, remembered as well. The creation of their Cutie Mark Crusader theme song, although she did not sing it, she still felt happy about creating such a song. The next was when all three of them had a sleepover at Fluttershy's, and Sweetie broke out into a jubilant and loud singing voice. How everypony always said that she was a good singer, but her embarrassment of singing in front of strangers would stop her from doing so. Not now, she was singing loud and clear, she didn't care who heard her, be it pony or animal, this was a song that had to be sung!

Even though we couldn't see you, you were standing right beside us weren't you, thought Scootaloo.

Ah good friend that never left us, who'd stick with us through thick and thin, that's who ya are, thought Apple Bloom

You were always with us Bright Blade; hope can never die, not as long as we're still alive, thought Sweetie Belle.

At that moment, three orbs of light floated down from the sky above. The three fillies still had their eyes closed as Sweetie Belle was wrapping up her song. Zecora exclaimed in her native language when she snapped out of the hypnotic melody, and watched as the different colored orbs separated and hovered in front of each Crusader. Sweetie finished her song; the Crusaders opened their eyes and saw the orbs of light, and were quite startled by their sudden appearance. But they weren't afraid of them.

"Wha-what are these things," asked Apple Bloom.

Zecora had a curious look on her face as she stared at the orbs. "Could it be – such a thing is not without possibility?"

"Huh, what are you talking about Zecora," asked Scootaloo.

"Guys," Apple Bloom and Scootaloo turned to Sweetie Belle, "I think these belong to us, look." Sweetie began to trot around, demonstrating that the orb of light followed her wherever she went. An idea crossed Sweetie's mind, she stopped her cantering, and turned to the orb. She gingerly reached out a hoof.

"Sweetie Belle!?"

"What are ya doin'!?"

The two fillies were about to stop her, but Zecora galloped in front of them. They looked up at her confused; Zecora only shook her head back and forth, sagely, silently telling them not to interfere. Sweetie Belle then made contact with the orb, almost instantly a surge of power coursed through her young body. A flash of white and purple light lit up the area for a few seconds before subsiding. The two fillies gasped at what they saw, it was impossible.

"What, what's wrong," asked Sweetie Belle, slowly opening her eyes and dreading what the light did to her.

"Sweetie…yer flank…"

Sweetie Belle arched her neck to the left, and there, upon her flank, was the very thing all three of them had been working towards since the creation of their group. "I-I-I have a-a cutie mark…!" It was true; the image of a semiquaver, at the low part of the note was a golden bell, with a heart at its center. "I GOT MY CUTIE MARK," she shouted joyfully.

That was all the incentive Apple Bloom and Scootaloo needed. They quickly placed their hooves upon the orbs and again the area was lit up with a bright light. After it was gone they immediately checked their flanks, and were very pleased by the results. Apple Bloom's mark was that of an apple, in the center was a hammer crossed over a screw driver. Scootaloo's was a wheel made of fire that created a blazing trail, the odd thing was, in the middle of the wheel was the image of a pony pirouetting.

"Ah can't believe it, we finally got them – our cutie marks!"

"Oh yeah, so loving this," exclaimed Scootaloo.

"But how did that happen, isn't a cutie mark supposed to just appear?"

"Now that ya mention it, what was up with those weird lights," queried Apple Bloom.

"Take heart young fillies, for this is a wonderful thing, a gift that has been a long time coming," said Zecora.

They knew what Zecora meant when she said "gift," and all three of them silently gave a little thank you to their friend who had now passed away. Suddenly their cutie marks began to shine, radiating power. The same power they had felt when they touched the orbs.

"You guys don't think…?"

Just then Crusaders felt a surge of power once again, but this time was different. It grew and built upon itself, soon their eyes were shining with their new found power. The energy within was quickly rising, the Crusaders were then enveloped in a bubble of golden mana energy. The bubble lifted them up, as more energy started to swirl around them. The bubble then transformed into a pillar of light, stretching high into the sky. The colors were mixed with hues of purple, white, yellow, red, orange, and violet, as the cloudless rain stopped.

What emerged from the pillar were three grown mares, each garbed in golden armor. Apple Bloom's pink mane bow had changed, transforming into a scarf with twin tails that swayed in the wind. Her golden horseshoes which came halfway up her hind and forelegs, with spiraling vines etched into them. Two octagon shaped shoulder pads hovered a few inches from her foreleg shoulders, embroidered with her cutie mark. She even had a weapon, a war hammer, holstered on her left side. It had a brown leather grip handle, with a silver orichalcum shaft. The hammerhead was square with two hexagon shaped flat ends, and poking up from the center was a ten inch spike. Apple Bloom opened her eyes, scanned her new form and gasped.

"Ah'm-ah'm grown up, we all are," exclaimed Apple Bloom.

"We changed, just like Bright Blade, and we got this cool armor," said Sweetie Belle.

Sweetie's armor was a little different. Draping from her shoulders were two sparkling see-through lace capes that fell a few inches to her knees, both of which had her cutie mark sewn on them. She had golden hoof-plates that curled up and around, with various music notes molded onto them. There was one thing that seemed out of place, a bell that hung around her neck, even when she moved, the bell did not ring.

"SOMEPONY HELP ME!!!"

Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom quickly turned to Scootaloo; she was frantically running around, with flaming embers following her. Apparently her wings were on fire; actually it would be more accurate to say that the fire was her wings. Her armor wasn't any different from the others, it was more streamed lined, made for less wind resistance. Scootaloo's horseshoes, however, were similar to Apple Bloom's, but without the etchings, instead on the sides were half circle boxes with an arrow head spike on them. In any case that still didn't stop her from running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

AB and Sweetie Belle had deadpanlooks that said, "really?"

"Scoots, why are ya panickin'," asked Apple Bloom.

"BECAUSE MY WINGS ARE ON FIRE!!"

"Yeah, but does it hurt or anything," asked Sweetie Belle.

Scootaloo stopped running around for a moment, and stopped to check. "Actually, no they don't hurt, they don't hurt at all!?" Scootaloo took a moment to flap her flaming wings; they bent, flapped, and fanned out just like normal wings. "I don't get it, how is this possible!?"

"Well Rainbow Dash's wings are made of crystal when she uses her powers," said Sweetie Belle.

"Oh yeah, you're right."

"Uh girls, get a gander at these things."

Apple Bloom pointed to their chests; all three of them seemed to have a glowing crystal sphere embedded into in the armor. Not only that, but all three mares had tiaras with metal wings sticking up. It didn't seem possible, they knew that they weren't Elements of Harmony, so why was it that they were given golden armor.

"The spark of hope can never die, to say any different is false, since it lives within our hearts," said Zecora. "You've been given power, now you three must decide where your destinies coincide."

Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle knew what Zecora meant. They were given the gift of power by the great hope that lived in their hearts. They were once helpless fillies, wanting so badly to help their friends and family, now they had become grown mares and had the strength to do so, but could they really make a difference, even now.

"What do ya think, should we try," asked Apple Bloom.

"I think so, we owe it everypony to at least do that much," answered Scootaloo.

"We owe Bright Blade that much," added Sweetie Belle.

The three mares closed their eyes then concentrated on the spheres in their chest plates. They began to shine brighter than they already were. They were connecting to their new found power, opening themselves up to it, letting it fill their minds and bodies. Their auras flared up, Apple Bloom's was red and yellow, Sweetie's was white and pink, and Scootaloo's was orange and violet. With a collective nod the crusaders all turned away from Zecora and her hut and stared up towards the sky.

"May your endeavor yield great success, good luck Cutie Mark Crusaders," said Zecora.

"No, not Cutie Mark Crusaders," said Sweetie Belle.

"We're something else now, a new club – no – a new team," said Scootaloo.

"Call us…the Valkyries," said Apple Bloom.

With that the three of them took off, allowing their auras to lift them up and propel them through the air. The cloudless rain parted, almost as if making a path for them to their destination. Zecora smiled as she watched the three streaks of light become three shining stars, the zebra mare felt like a proud mother, seeing the former Cutie Mark Crusaders attaining their marks and now flying off into battle. Zecora's blue eyes glanced to her right and saw white strands of glowing, wispy smoke appear next to her. She then returned her gaze to the shining stars that were quickly disappearing.

{Do you truly believe they have the strength to turn the tide, aren’t you afraid that they might lose,} asked the smoke.

"Nope, because my friend I have hope."

{And so do I…}

At long last the Crusaders have attained their cutie marks, and in the process, have been given the gift of power thanks to their connection to hope. Now the newly formed Valkyries soar towards the Altar of Calamity, they shall prove to all that hope cannot be killed so easily!