• Published 17th Jul 2012
  • 3,357 Views, 170 Comments

War in Equestria: The Tale of Bright Blade - Michael_Ravencroft



An evil long kept secret rises from the depths, threatening war on Equestria, and all hope lies with a young colt...Bright Blade and the Elements of Harmony must work together to defeat an army of demon ponies and save their world from darkness!

  • ...
17
 170
 3,357

Epilogue Part Two

The Beginnings of Families

***Six Months Ago***

After the war ended and everything settled down, Applejack and Rainbow Dash did the hardest thing since fighting Gilda. Come out of the closet. Their friends, of course, didn't mind at all, in fact there was a secret bet going on about how long it would take for either one of them to confess, and apparently Pinkie Pie won.

The hard part came when the two of them announced their relationship to the rest of the Apple family. Big Macintosh didn't seem too fazed by it; he'd fought alongside Rainbow Dash, and knew his sister Applejack wouldn't just enter into a relationship like this unless she was absolutely sure of what she was doing. Apple Bloom, although she did not quite understand how two mares could love each other as much as a mare and stallion do. In the end she trusted Applejack and she trusted Rainbow Dash, and that was enough for her, at least until she was a bit older and could better understand such things.

Granny Smith, however, vehemently disapproved of Applejack's relationship. Which they knew that was going to happen, raised in the old ways of things; it's not entirely her fault that she would think that way. But still, that didn't make the words she said any less hurtful.

"Ah'm ah not standin' fer this!" To emphasize her point, Granny Smith sat back in her rocking chair and gave them both a sour look. "Mares are supposed ta like stallions, that's the way it's always been, that's the way it always will be!"

"Granny, please be reasonable? This isn't some decision that I made! Ah-ah've always liked mares, ah just never found the right one ah could, ya know, be with," explained Applejack.

"Well that does explain why ya refused so many fine looking stallions, but ah'm sorry – actually on second thought ah'm not sorry, ah cannot approve of any of this!" Granny Smith declared.

"Now hold on Granny Smith!" Rainbow Dash stepped forward, despite the silent pleads from Applejack not to. "What's the big deal if we're going out, and that we love each other like that!? We're not exactly the only mares in Equestria that are fillyfoolers!"

Granny Smith turned her head and spat into a spittoon with a sharp *ding*. "Maybe ya ain't, but what other ponies do is their own business, this is family business! And ah ain't havin' such things under this roof!"

"Gra-Granny… ya don't mean that, do ya!?" Applejack asked with a trembling voice.

"Ah can and ah do! As long as ya continue on with this disgusting – BLCH! – I won't have ya livin' here, no need for the youngin' to see any of your fillyfoolery," said Granny Smith.

"Hold on a minute! Apple Bloom knows about us, that we're together, and she's totally cool with it!"

Damn it Rainbow, now's not the best time to be tellin' Granny about somethin' like that, thought Applejack.

The rocking chair stopped moving as Granny Smith sat upright. She then, surprisingly, launched herself from the chair and practically got right in Rainbow Dash's face. Now Rainbow Dash had gone through a lot, facing down a Windingo empowered Gilda and fighting through countless hordes of soul sucking, flesh ripping, Daemoni, and going up against the most evil pony to have ever existed, Tikara Balak. But even they, at this moment, couldn't match the anger and fierce intensity that Granny Smith radiated through her eyes as she stared into Rainbow's.

"What did ya say…?"

"I-I said that Apple Bloom knows about us and she's –"

"GET THE BUCK OUT OF THIS HOUSE, THE BOTH OF YA, NOW!!!!!"

Rainbow Dash retreated, she had never heard Granny Smith talk with such anger and disdain in her voice. Apparently neither had Applejack, who was now on the verge of tears, her heart cracking as her own grandmother had pretty much ordered her to leave the only home she's ever known. Rainbow Dash saw Applejack's reaction to Granny Smith's words and rushed over to hug her lover, having AJ rest her head on her shoulder. Rainbow Dash stroked Applejack's blonde mane as she continued to sob, her warm tears staining Rainbows cyan coat. She could feel her trembling with each sob, and it hurt her to see the strong, confident, and stubborn mare in such a state.

Rainbow Dash turned her gaze onto Granny Smith. She didn't even bat an eye, even though she practically broke her granddaughter's heart, the elderly mare didn't show any sign of remorse. A fact of which infuriated the rainbow maned pegasus. Her rose colored eyes were ablaze with anger, clenching her jaw and cursing Granny Smith within her mind.

"How dare you…!" Rainbow Dash whispered.

"What was that," asked Granny Smith. "If ya got somethin' ta say then say it!"

"I said how DARE YOU! She's your granddaughter, a hard worker, and a BUCKING WAR HERO! And you just go and kick her out of her own home, your nothing but a heartless old HAG!!" Rainbow Dash shouted.

"HAG, that's it!!? I ferbid ya two fillyfoolers from ever steppin' a hoof on this farm! Now get off ah ma property," she ordered.

"Why you damn old senile –!"

"Rainbow!!" Applejack cried. Both mares turned back to Applejack, her eyes were red and puffy as tears continued to stream down her cheeks. "Tha-that's enough, Granny…Granny said her peace. Could ya…Could ya help me pack sugarcube?"

As much as Rainbow Dash wanted to throw the old mare into a pit of starving Daemoni she conceded her fight and returned to Applejack's side. "Okay AJ, we'll stop by Twilight's so she can cast the 'Cloud Walking' spell. You'll live with me."

Before either of them could leave, the door to the living room flew open and slammed on the wall as it swung. In the middle of the doorway stood a very angry Apple Bloom, staring daggers at her grandmother.

"THAT'S NOT FAIR GRANNY!!" Apple Bloom yelled.

"Apple Bloom, how long have ya been –!?"

"Ya can't just kick Applejack off the farm!"

"Apple Bloom go back to yer room, we're talkin' bout' things that little fillies shouldn't be listnin' to," ordered Granny Smith.

"Ah'm twelve-years-old Granny, ah'm big enough ta say what ah want to say! Ah don't understand a lot about what bein' a fillyfooler means, and to tell ya the truth ah'm still a bit confused about how two mares can love each other as much as a colt and filly. But all ah do know is that Applejack loves Rainbow Dash, and ah don't care what that makes them! Applejack's family and families stick together!"

"Apple Bloom…" whispered Applejack.

The young filly ran up and threw her forelegs around Applejack's neck, hugging her tightly. A smile arched across Rainbow Dash's face as she trotted up and began to rub AB's mane. "Thanks Apple Bloom…"

"Ah'd like ta add mah two bits about this as well." Big Macintosh had made an appearance, the strong and tall red stallion trotted into the room and looked at Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Apple Bloom, and finally to Granny Smith. "Ah think ya oughta reconsider ferbidden Applejack from coming to the farm."

Everypony in the room was stunned, was Big Macintosh actually going against Granny Smith's orders. "Wha-what are ya sayin'!? Don't ya go and tell me that ya approve of this!?"

"Whether or not ah approve is not the point. Personally speakin' Applejack ain't the kind ah pony ta go around makin' rash decisions, if this is what she wants then so be it. But ah have ta ask Granny, did ya consider how much work will pile up because AJ ain't here," asked Big Mac.

This question seemed to catch the elderly mare off-guard, it would seem that Granny Smith neglected to take into account that the harvesting and management of the farm was mainly done by both Big Macintosh and Applejack. Now Big Mac was a strong stallion, very strong, pulled a house once. But not even he could manage the entire farm on his own.

"Why you – some big brother you are! You only want her around so you don't have to work so much harder than you do already!!? Ugh, c'mon Applejack, let's go pack up your stuff, I'm getting sick of this place!" Rainbow Dash growled.

"Now hold on a minute there Rainbow, ah'd like ta hear what Granny has ta say," said Applejack. Rainbow Dash noticed that Applejack had stopped crying, and that a smug smile was starting to form on her lips. "Well Granny, Sweet Apple Acres can't run with just Big Mac alone, too many apple trees won't get harvested and that would be bad for business."

It was obvious that the brother and sister had backed Granny Smith into the proverbial corner. After about a minute Rainbow Dash had caught on to Big Mac's plan, Apple Bloom soon saw what they were getting at and was allowing herself to feel a since of relief.

"Alright, alright, alright ah get it! There's no gettin' 'round it is there?" Big Mac and AJ shook their heads confidently. "Fine then, Applejack, you can still work on the farm – But ya still can't live here and that's mah final word!" Granny Smith stamped her hoof on the floor, making it clear that her mind would not be swayed in this decision.

Everypony allowed themselves a small smile, but Rainbow Dash was different. A devilish grin started to creep across her face as she was struck with an epiphany. "Soooooo, just to be clear, you're allowing AJ to work here right?"

"That's right."

"But she can't live here?"

"Also right."

"And, for the record, you guys own the land right? Everything on this farmland is the property of Sweet Apple Acres right?"

"Of course we own everythin' on the land Rainbow, what in the hay are ya gettin' at," asked Applejack.

"I'm just making sure you guys own everything down here, and not anything up above," said Rainbow with a wink.

"Ooooohhh~, yeah, we own everythin' down here and not up there."

"Cool, well since it's still early, I'll go see if I can round up a few pegasi to lend me a hoof. Applejack I'll help you with moving your stuff when I get back." Rainbow Dash made it halfway to the door before Granny Smith called out to her.

"Stop right there, what the hay just happened!?" Granny Smith asked.

"Oh, uh, I was just going to move my cloud house over Sweet Apple Acres," said Rainbow Dash nonchalantly.

"WHAT!!!!!!??????"


***Present day (2nd Day)***

Rainbow Dash was on top of the world, well she was always on top of the world, but in this case it was her attitude. She was wearing a Wonderbolts uniform, complete with goggles; doing somersaults, loop-de-loops, and spins as she flew towards Sweet Apple Acres. But before she got that far Rainbow Dash made a quick stop near the Everfree Forest. She came upon a clearing, and made her descent.

Once she had landed, Rainbow Dash started trotting down a path that she had found the last time she was there. Usually many ponies would be afraid to be this deep in the Everfree, but after fighting in a war the creatures that lied in wait weren't much of a threat in her mind.

After a couple of minutes she came upon a wrecked carriage. It still had the appearance that it encountered a large creature, whether or not it was a Daemoni or beastly resident of the forest was still hard to determine. Nevertheless Rainbow Dash started to carefully scan the wreck, looking for something, anything. After about five minutes of searching the carriage and the surrounding area Dash had given up, at least this time.

Hope AJ had better luck then I did today, thought Rainbow Dash.

With that she flew off into the sky. Unknown to Rainbow Dash the force of her take off caused a small gust of wind to blow through the carriage, making some of the debris inside the carriage blow away. What was revealed was a pair of goggles that were similar to Dash's Wonderbolts uniform.


***Sweet Apple Acres***

The farm had gone through some changes over the past six months. Rainbow Dash, true to her word, moved her cloud home over the main house of Sweet Apple Acres, with medium sized clouds spiraling down towards the ground, acting like stairs for a certain earth pony to climb down. Ever since Rainbow Dash had joined the Wonderbolts, the farm had been getting in extra money, additionally; when the war ended the farm saw an influx of demand for crops. So in a sense, business was booming, plus the additional tourism from other cities wanting to visit the hometown of famous war heroes wasn't bad for publicity.

Applejack was returning from the fields, having helped Big Macintosh plant seeds as he pulled the plow, bucking apple trees, and different sorts of maintenance that was needed on some of the farm buildings and equipment. The maintenance part of the job was made a lot easier thanks to Apple Bloom, having discovered her special talent and obtaining her cutie mark, the little yellow filly went straight to work repairing and improving some parts of the farm.

When the three siblings entered the house they moved quietly and carefully. Granny Smith was in her rocking chair, cradling what seemed to be a foal wrapped in a white blanket. The old mare made baby noises and went "couchy, couchy, coo" as she tickled the baby's nose with her hoof.

"Oh yer just the cutest little foal, yes ya are, yes ya are," said Granny Smith sweetly.

Noticing this, Applejack started to move closer to the baby, the young foal's eyes shifted towards AJ and his smile immediately grew wider as the baby colt reached out for the orange earth pony.

"Hey there little guy, didja miss me," asked Applejack.

"Little tyke got ah set lungs on him, took meh a while to settle him down," said Granny Smith.

"Thanks Granny."

Granny Smith didn't respond, she only continued to rock in her chair. Big Macintosh and Apple Bloom always felt awkward when AJ and Granny Smith were in the room, especially since Rainbow Dash brought this no-named foal from the Everfree Forest. And for the last three days they've tried to find the parents to said foal, but so far were unsuccessful.

At that moment Rainbow Dash flew in through the opened door, kicking it with her left hind leg to close it. "Guess who just got back from Wonderbolts training!?" Rainbow Dash said.

"Let me guess, was it you sugarcube," said Applejack drolly.

"Yep, but now you're looking at the Wonderbolts new co-captain!"

"CO-CAPTAIN," said all three apple siblings in unison.

The baby seemed to have picked up on the happy vibes being emitted in the room since he started giggling, Rainbow Dash, still hovering in the air, floated over to AJ. Rainbow reached out a hoof and the baby colt grabbed it with his little hooves, smiling even wider than before.

"So, has anypony…you know?"

"Nothin', Twilight hasn't heard ah thing, and neither has anypony else."

"Well, ah spoke to the Royal Guards still stationed here," said Big Macintosh. "If nopony steps up and claims him we have two options."

"What options," asked Apple Bloom.

"Fer one: we can raise him ourselves, or two: we can take him to the local orphanage. And since they know it's us, they'll make sure he gets a good home."

Everypony knew that the orphanage was becoming full of foals whose parents were either killed during Daemoni raids, or abandoned by families for unknown reasons. They had no doubt the orphanage would keep their word, seeing as how they were dealing with three war heroes. But still, the thought of giving up the foal didn't sit well with Applejack and Rainbow Dash. Then again there was the other option.

"Well…what do you think AJ," asked Rainbow Dash.

Applejack looked down at the baby colt, who was now staring up at both mares with an innocent look in its eyes. With a sigh, the blonde maned mare had made her decision. "Rainbow, ah, ah wanna keep him. Actually ah want to raise him as our son," said Applejack.

The entire room went deathly silent. Rainbow Dash's mouth hung wide open at what Applejack had said, as too were Big Mac's and Apple Bloom's. "Applejack…do-do you know what you're saying!?"

"Ah do, but ah don't want to make this decision on my own. If ya don't want to ah'll understand…"

Rainbow Dash's mind was racing, both her and Applejack, raising a young colt, as their own, as mothers?! This was a pretty big leap for her, they weren't even married! They would like to be, if they weren't sure that Granny Smith would come at them with a pitchfork. The rainbow maned pegasus looked to her lover and down to the colt, who was still looking at them with unconditional love in its eyes.

"Okay, let's do it!"

"Really!?" Applejack asked. Rainbow Dash nodded her head in confirmation, the two them hugged each other, being mindful of the baby.

Apple Bloom started to hop up and down in a circle around the couple saying "Ah'm gonna be an aunt, ah'm gonna be an aunt, ah'm gonna be an aunt!"

"If that's what y'all are doin' he'll need ah name," said Big Macintosh.

"Oh, oh, what about Silver Boulder!?" Apple Bloom asked.

The baby seemed to shake his head, apparently listening in.

"It should be somethin' strong, like Brawny Hooves," said Applejack.

Again the unnamed baby shook his head.

"Rainbow Dash what do ya think we should call him," asked Apple Bloom.

Rainbow Dash winced, she was hoping that AJ or her brother and sister would come up with a good earth pony name. I don't know any good earth pony related names, the only things I can come up with are Sky Blitz and Pip Squeak – wait isn't there a colt by that name already!? UGH!!!

"I don't know, Dirt, Dust, CLAY!?" The baby giggled. All eyes turned to him. "Clay?" Rainbow repeated. Yet again the baby giggled.

"Well that settles it, from now on, yer name is Clay," said Applejack as she nuzzled baby Clay with her nose.

"Ah got a name," said Granny Smith. "How 'bout 'Ya do that and ya can kiss this little arrangement goodbye!'"

"Granny what are ya saying," asked Apple Bloom.

"Ah've put up with a lot, but ah'm certainly not letting this happen on mah farm! Ah swear the two of ya are doin' this just to see how mad ya can get meh!"

"Now what's the problem!? What, two mares can't raise a baby," asked Rainbow Dash.

"Well yer smarter than ya look deary," retorted Granny Smith.

"Why you –!!!" Before Rainbow Dash could dig into Granny Smith a knock came at the front door. Frustrated, the cyan pegasus flew towards the door and turned the handle. "WE'RE BUSY IN HERE!!!" When Rainbow Dash stopped for a moment to see who it was she instantly wished she hadn't yelled. "Fluttershy!?"

Indeed, the cream colored pegasus mare was standing at the front door, wide eyed, with her mane blown back from Rainbow Dash's shouting. "I'm sorry, I should've sent a message telling you I was coming, oh I knew dropping in unannounced was a bad idea, maybe I should come back tomorrow," said Fluttershy rather quickly.

"No, it's alright! I'm sorry Fluttershy, did you want to come in," asked Rainbow Dash.

"Um, actually Rainbow Dash, I was wondering if Big Macintosh was free. Is he around," she asked.

"Eeyup." Rainbow Dash moved aside to let the red stallion come to the front door. "Nice ta see ya Miss Shy, what brings ya here," he asked.

"I was, um, just wondering – oh dear – I was just wondering if you'd like to take a walk with me, there's something I want to talk to you about," asked Fluttershy.

"Uhhhh…" Big Macintosh didn't know if he should leave right now, considering his grandmother's mood, and Rainbow Dash's. It was then that he felt a hoof pat him on the back.

"It's okay Big Mac, go ahead and talk with Fluttershy. Everything's fine, right?" The last part was directed at Granny Smith, who huffed, and continued her rocking motion. "See," said Rainbow Dash.

"Well alright," said Big Mac.

"Oh thank you! I promise we'll be back soon," said Fluttershy.

With that Big Macintosh and Fluttershy left as Rainbow Dash waved at them. Once she closed the door her gaze fell back to Granny Smith. "Granny Smith, I need to talk to you. Back of the house, now."

"And why exactly do ah want ta do that fer?"

"Just do it old timer!" Granny Smith stared angrily at the rainbow maned pegasus. "Please…"

That last word surprised everypony in the room. Rainbow Dash had never used the word "please" whenever she was talking to Granny Smith, and they didn't talk much. Reluctantly, the old lime-green mare got up out of her rocking chair and made her way towards the back of the house. Applejack and Apple Bloom stared worryingly at Rainbow Dash, wondering what she was up to.

"Surgacube, what are ya –!?"

"I'm going to do what I have to," interrupted Rainbow Dash. "For you and for Clay…"

With that said Rainbow Dash floated after Granny Smith, leaving Apple Bloom and Applejack with an ill feeling in their minds and guts. Baby Clay only smiled and giggled, apparently unfazed by what had occurred, maybe saying in his own way that everything was going to be alright.


At the back of the house Granny Smith was staring out across the fields of apple trees. Thinking back to the days when her family first settled here, how they cultivated, nurtured, and tilled the land to make it the prosperous wonder that it is today. The little school foals would say that if it weren't for Granny Smith and her Zap Apple Jam that Ponyville would never have existed. Now she didn't know if she would go so far as to say that. If it weren't for her whole family working together then none of this would've even been possible.

She'd lived to see many things. New buildings being added to Ponyville, ponies coming and going, and now she can say she lived through a war, although she wasn't sure how good of a thing that was. Despite all this, there were just some things that she couldn't understand. For the longest time she'd been raised to believe that a stallion and mare should be together, have kids and raise a family. That's what she did, that's what other family members have done, and that's what other ponies do. But recent events have had her questioning those beliefs.

Ever since, well, any of her grandchildren were born, Granny Smith wished for them to find the pony of their dreams, to be happy. But when Applejack came out and told her that she was a fillyfooler and that she was seeing that rainbow maned pegasus, it was something that she just couldn't wrap her mind around. How could Applejack be happy with another mare, how could she raise a family of her own without a stallion!?

Just then the back door opened, with the rainbow maned pegasus in question hovering towards her. Granny Smith kept her back turned to Rainbow Dash, not feeling particularly friendly.

"Granny Smith…"

"What is it?"

"Can I touch the ground, please" asked Rainbow Dash.

Even though Granny Smith let Applejack work on Sweet Apple Acres, the same didn't apply to Rainbow Dash, and being a pegasus, Dash always floated, never touching the grounds of the farm. In a sense she was obeying her and at the same time she was disobeying her. But now she was asking for permission to land.

"Go ahead."

Rainbow Dash softly lowered herself onto the ground. The young and old mares stood in silence for, what seemed to be, forever.

"Well, ya called me out here, what the hay do ya want!?"

"I want to ask you something, and I want you to listen. Could you please turn around…?"

There was that word again, "please." Granny Smith thought the pegasus too proud and stubborn to say that. It wasn't just that, it was the way she said it. There was no anger in her voice; it was calm, which only further intrigued the elderly mare. She decided to turn around, since she asked so nicely. When she did she gasped, Rainbow Dash was on her knees before her.

"What – what in tarnation are ya doin!?" Granny Smith asked surprised.

"Granny Smith, I know you don't like me, and I know that you're angry at Applejack. But…I'm begging you…please let Applejack come back and live with all of you!"

"Wh-why would ah do that, ah already made my decision!"

"If not for her sake then for Clay's, I don't want to raise that child in a broken home. Besides, he can't live with me and AJ in my place. The 'Cloud Walking' spell could wear off one day, and he could fall, a four story fall from the air would kill him," said Rainbow Dash. "That's why; I want Applejack to be able to raise him on the ground, in a house with a loving family."

Granny Smith was starting to get angry, not because of what she was asking, but how she was making it sound. "Are ya tryin' to say that yer breakin' up with mah granddaughter? 'Cause truth be told, what ah did may of hurt her, but if ya do that, you'll completely devastate her."

"I don't plan on leaving AJ or Clay, but I don't want Clay growing up in a house with a family that stigmatizes him because he's being raised by two mares! Believe me he'll get enough of that when he's older."

"Tell me somethin' youngin…why are ya doin' all this, beggin' me and such?"

"Because… I know what it feels like when your own family turns its back on you." Granny Smith listened more intently to this part. "When I was a filly in Flight School, I was teased and bullied because it got out that I was fillyfooler. My parents did nothing; they only told me how disappointed they were in me because of it all. So I ran away and never looked back, and for years I've been suppressing my real feelings, thinking it was better to keep them a secret from anypony. That is until I met Applejack…and I have to say…I was jealous of her."

"Ya were jealous of my Applejack?"

"I saw how close she was with all of you, your family seemed so caring, loving, and understanding. I always thought if my mom and dad were like that then maybe things would be different. But when you acted the way you did all those months ago you not only hurt Applejack, you hurt me as well, because I believed that the Apple family would still look after their own no matter if they were a fillyfooler or not!"

Granny Smith was starting to feel a stabbing pain in her heart. The young mare's words wounded her; she didn't know how highly Rainbow Dash thought of their family. "Haven't ya talked to them, yer folks ah mean?"

"No, and I doubt they care. Weather Patrol Manager, hero of war, and now a Wonderbolt co-captain, even with all that – the moment I mention that I'm going out with Applejack – I guarantee you that they'll blow me off like they did all those years ago," answered Rainbow Dash. "So, even if it means moving my house away from Sweet Apple Acres I'm willing to stay away from the farm if it means they can stay!"

Granny Smith only stared at the cyan pegasus, she was still on her knees, looking at her with pleading eyes. "Answer me this one question. Why are ya doin' all this?"

Rainbow Dash thought for a brief moment, something in her mind clicked back to the War of Darkness. "Somepony told me, and AJ, to be happy. I can't remember who that pony was, but I trusted him, and I think he's gone now. But that's when I made my own promise that I would see Applejack happy, no matter what it takes!"

Granny Smith started to trot over to Rainbow Dash, holding her serious expression. Rainbow Dash lowered her head and closed her eyes, awaiting whatever verbal or physical lashing she was about to receive from the old mare. But it never came, the only thing she felt was a hoof being placed gently on her shoulder. Rainbow Dash looked up and saw Granny Smith, a hint of sadness in her amber eyes.

"Years ago, my son and his wife abandoned their children." Rainbow Dash was confused as to where this was going. "It was shortly after Apple Bloom was born, Celestia knows where the hay they are now, but ah told them that they were killed in the Everfree Forest."

"You mean, they just up and left them, why, what for!?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Don't rightly know mahself, never said a word or sent so much as a letter. Ah figured it was easier fer them to think that they were dead then ta keep wonderin' if it was their fault fer makin' them leave. If you're really plannin' on doing what ya said then ya gotta make me a promise," said Granny Smith.

"Anything!" Immediately after saying that Rainbow Dash cursed herself within her mind, acting too quickly and when she didn't know what Granny Smith was planning on asking of her.

"First of all: ah want ya to promise meh that you'll be there fer my Applejack. Second: ah want ya to promise that you'll look after that baby and raise it right, if ya do, then ah'll let Applejack come back to live in the house."

Rainbow Dash rose up from her kneel, tears starting to stream down her cheeks as she sniffled. "Thank you Granny Smith…I promise I won't let you down!"

"Ah should hope ya won't, fer yer sake. Now let's get back in the house before they start thinkin' the worst." Rainbow Dash started to flap her wings so she could start hovering back inside, but Granny Smith put up a hoof and shook her head. "Can ya please stay on the ground, mah neck starts hurtin' whenever ah have ta look at ya from high up."

With a chuckle, Rainbow Dash stopped flapping her wings and proceeded to trot beside the old mare. "Since I've said what I've said, I was wondering if I could ask for your permission to marr –!?"

"Hold yer horses there! Ah already said ya were a part of this family, let's not get carried away here, don't go bitin' off more than what ya can chew," said Granny Smith.

"You never said that I was a part of the family?"

"Really, musta slipped my mind."

Both mares wore a smile on their faces as they entered the main house, having now come to an understanding between them.


***Meanwhile***

Big Macintosh and Fluttershy were happily trotting; they were heading in no particular direction, just going wherever the road took them and enjoying each other's company. Fluttershy's usually timid nature was lacking, although she did seem reserved at times, she was actually interacting more. A change that Big Macintosh noticed, but he didn't mind, in fact he kind of liked it.

Big Macintosh was just finishing up telling her of today's events. Everything from what he was doing on the farm, up until Fluttershy's arrival. "And that's about the size of it."

"Oh dear, I didn't know something like that was happening! Maybe we should go back, in case something happens," said Fluttershy.

"Nah, ah think they'll be fine, they won't start nothin' so long as Clay is in there," said Big Mac.

Fluttershy let out a sigh of relief. "Thank goodness." The two of them trotted in silence for a while before Fluttershy spoke again. "I'm really happy that Applejack and Rainbow Dash are going to adopt that cute little foal, although it's kinda funny that Rainbow Dash would be the one to pick a name that he liked," she chuckled.

"Believe me Miss Shy, we were all just as surprised," laughed Big Mac.

Although it seemed like they weren't heading anywhere Fluttershy was in fact leading Big Macintosh to a certain location, a place only she knew of. Their little trot eventually took them into the woods, even though none of them spoke a word it was still a pleasant trot. Both enjoying the others presence, Big Macintosh made Fluttershy feel safe as if nothing could touch her so long he was there. For Big Mac, being around Fluttershy was like being in the presence of spring, her words were soft like a calming, gentle breeze, and her mere presence made him relax.

Finally Big Macintosh and Fluttershy arrived at a clearing. There was a pond nearby with croaking frogs, trees that had little squirrels and birds, and many bushes with flowers. Fluttershy broke away from Big Macintosh and went to the center of the clearing and sat on her haunches as she stared at the large red stallion.

"Miss Shy?"

"This clearing is very special to me, Big Macintosh; this is the place where I first fell from the sky." Fluttershy raised her hoof into the sky, pointing in the general location of Cloudsdale. "And it was here that I was caught by a swarm of butterflies that saved my life, it's also here that I discovered my special talent and got my cutie mark."

Big Macintosh smiled, he felt honored that Fluttershy would bring him to a place that she held dear to her. He scanned the area, taking in all he saw, but his eyes couldn't help but return to the beautiful pegasus mare before him, which prompted him to shake his head a few times to make himself focus.

"Thank you for bringing me here Miss Shy, ah must admit, I'm flattered that you'd bring me to such an important place," said Big Mac.

"Well I figured an important place is best for saying something important…"

"Pardon Miss Shy?"

"Big Macintosh, there's something I've always wanted to tell you, but all this time I never been able to say it. Do you remember the day we first met?"

How could he forget? It was two years after Fluttershy obtained her cutie mark that she came to live in Ponyville. Unfortunately there was no one in Ponyville that she knew, added to her already shy personality, it only made her more afraid to be there. But there was one pony who came to help her. A quiet and strong young stallion, with a red coat and orange mane, kindly offered his assistance in guiding her through the town. Eventually helping her find the cottage the pink maned pegasus now lives in today. Big Macintosh also remembered the huge crush he got when first laid eyes on her, a crush he still had today.

"Ah course I do, could never forget it," responded Big Mac.

"You helped me so much; you were the first pony I didn't feel scared of, well except for Rainbow Dash. But from that day and even today I still have…feelings for you," said Fluttershy.

Big Mac's eyes grew wide at what she was saying. No, it can't be, does she feel the same way ah do, he thought.

"Big Macintosh!" Fluttershy stood on all four legs and stared confidently at the stallion. "I-I-I LOVE YOU!!!" Fluttershy blurted out.

Hearing those words made Big Macintosh's heart skip a beat, and it almost gave Fluttershy a heart attack. But she did it; she said the words that were long kept in her heart. Feelings that nopony else knew of.

"Miss…Miss Shy ah –!"

"Please call me Fluttershy," she asked.

"Um, Fluttershy, why are ya tellin' me this now, if you don't mind me askin'?"

Fluttershy's face became more solemn as the wind swept through her pink mane. "There was this pony from the war, I can't remember his name, but I know he was a dear friend, to all of us. Whether he's dead or just missing is still unclear to me, but what I do remember was that before the end he was able to confess his feelings to the mare he loved. Unfortunately the mare didn't have the chance to tell him how she felt about him."

Fluttershy started to look up into the sky; the sun was slowly starting to touch the horizon, allowing the sky to reveal some more brightly lit stars.

"Ever since the war ended I've been trying to become more confident in myself, and the first step I told myself I was going to take was to confess to you Big Macintosh." Fluttershy then began to trot to the large stallion, who was now blushing just as much as she was. She inched her face closer to Big Mac's and planted a kiss on his muzzle, smiling through closed eyes. "I don't expect you to return the sentiment; I just want you to know that there is somepony who loves you very much."

Fluttershy began to slowly trot away, Big Macintosh clenched his jaw and quickly turned around. "Fluttershy," he called out.

The pink maned pegasus turned around just in time for Big Macintosh to kiss her full on the lips. Normally such a thing would've frightened her and sent her flying off into the sky, but not this. She leaned into the kiss as she draped her forelegs around his neck. The two of them sharing, indulging the passion they felt in their hearts. The mare and stallion broke their kiss needing to breath.

"Big Macintosh, you too?"

"Eeyup."

Fluttershy's eyes began to water as she hugged the red stallion more tightly. Big Macintosh could feel her warm, joyful tears on his coat as he wrapped one large foreleg gently around Fluttershy, regarding her as something fragile. At that moment dozens of butterflies started to rise up and swarm together in hues of pink, blue, and yellow. The two lovers looked up in awe as they watched the swarm fly around and off into the sky, as if to commemorate their love.

Once the butterflies had left, Big Macintosh and Fluttershy gazed lovingly into each others eyes. "Big Mac," said Fluttershy.

"Uh-huh."

"Should we tell your family, Applejack and the others," asked Fluttershy.

"Only if ya want to," said Big Mac.

"Then I want to tell them, is that okay with you?"

"Eeyup…"

The pegasus mare and earth pony stallion started to make their way back to Sweet Apple Acres, neither side knowing that their little family was about to become a lot bigger.

7 days to go…

Author's Note:

I'd like to thank Brawney Hooves for allowing me to use his OC Clay in the making of these Epilogues.