• Published 17th Jul 2012
  • 3,357 Views, 170 Comments

War in Equestria: The Tale of Bright Blade - Michael_Ravencroft



An evil long kept secret rises from the depths, threatening war on Equestria, and all hope lies with a young colt...Bright Blade and the Elements of Harmony must work together to defeat an army of demon ponies and save their world from darkness!

  • ...
17
 170
 3,357

Chapter 16

Chapter 16: A Fond Farwell

The first battle of the war had ended in victory, Bright Blade, along with Twilight and the others were treated to a hero’s welcome back at Fort Avalon. It was strange for them, even though this wasn’t the first time they had been cheered for, what made this time different was that they were garbed in their golden Element Armor. Bright Blade was still in his alicorn form, walking side by side with Twilight. He was unconscious for much of what happened, but was filled in by Rarity, to whom he expressed much thanks for saving his life. The procession of friends crossed the drawbridge and continued into the fort. Once inside, in the courtyard of the keep, was Major Broadside, with Big Macintosh and a couple of earth pony guards. Bright Blade wasn’t afraid of the Major, but he radiated a strong aura of authority that made him feel like he was about to be scolded by him at any moment. So it didn’t help that Major Broadside trotted up to him first. Bright Blade stood erect, trying to convey as much false bravado as possible.

“So, you’re really Bright Blade aren’t ya kid,” asked Major Broadside.

“Y-yes sir,” said Bright Blade.

The Major then started to circle around Bright Blade, inspecting him. Bright Blade’s eyes darted to his friends in a silent plead for help, but none knew if they should interfere. If Major Broadside was suspicious of Bright Blade, then it was imperative that he didn’t do anything that would make the Major distrust him. After a minute Major Broadside came face to face with him, staring Bright Blade in the eyes. Major Broadside then stepped back and let out a deep chested chuckle. “You can relax kid, the fighting’s over, for today at least,” said Major Broadside.

Bright Blade looked to Twilight, who then nodded. With a sigh Bright Blade’s body flashed with golden light, and in the blink of an eye he was back to his normal self. Bright Blade was surprised to see that the armor that was designed by Rarity was still on him, but the tiny sword he was originally using had disappeared. Bright Blade was a bit unsettled by the sudden height change, where he once was at eye level with the muscular earth pony, now he found himself looking upwards to meet his gaze. The Major brought up his right hoof and rubbed it on Bright’s head, ruffling his mane.

“Good work kid, good work to you all,” said Major Broadside. “For now the enemy has fallen back, I’m going to send a report to the Princess, for now go rest, and eat up. You’ve all earned it,” said Major Broadside.

With that, the group entered the fortress and toward the mess hall. The cooks were hard at work making food for the remainder of their forces. It didn’t really hit them till the adrenaline in their systems wore off, but their stomachs began to growl loudly. The seven heroes all gathered around a table and sat on a green pillow that allowed them to take a load off. The cooks brought out a spread of food, sandwiches, salads, a sweet tasting beverage specially made to rejuvenate and relieve tiredness, and other delectable foods. Bright Blade dug into the spread before him, any other day he would mine his manners, but the hunger in his stomach overruled his polite table manners. And from the looks of it none of the others were bothering to mind their manners either. Finally, Bright Blade addressed the elephant in the room that was on their minds. “Fluttershy, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, how did you guys get here,” asked Bright Blade.

The three mares looked at each other, swallowed their food, and washed it down with their drink before answering. “Well,” Fluttershy began, “I was in White Tail Wood helping to move some of the animals with a team of other ponies. There were many little animals that weren’t evacuated yet in another part of the woods, so I decided to head back on my own. While I was helping some of them leave something happened. My saddlebag began to glow, when I opened it I saw my necklace, the Element of Kindness, shining brightly! Then it flashed with a blinding light and the next thing I knew I was taken away! And, well, you know what happened next.”

Rarity gave Fluttershy a surprised stare, “Darling you won’t believe this, but that’s exactly the same thing that happened to me as well!” All eyes were on Rarity, waiting to hear her story. “I was busy in the UEA Armory; as usual I was inspecting the armor that was made and finding many flaws, simple things here and there, but obviously something that might pose a problem later on down the road. Quite honestly I don’t know why…” the others were tapping their hooves on the table, indicating to Rarity that she was veering off from the subject. “Ahem, anyway, I was wearing a tacky work vest, but unknown to many of my fellow coworkers I was wearing my necklace underneath. That’s when it started to glow, and just like Fluttershy I was whisked away to the battlefield!”

“I was throwing a birthday party in Ponyville for a little colt. I remember having a lot of fun, and entertaining the guests, well me and Clip Clop the Clown, he’s really funny, he even lent me a clown outfit. While I was putting it on the necklace flew in out of nowhere and reappeared around my neck, and then poof, I was here,” said Pinkie Pie, with some confetti popping out as if on cue. At this point they didn’t know whether to attribute it to the armor or if it was just Pinkie Pie being Pinkie Pie.

“Well I reckon that explains the lights in the sky, our Elements followed you guys and attached themselves to us,” said Applejack.

“Yeah, but you know what I don’t get,” Rainbow Dash took a bite of a tofuburger, chewed it then swallowed, “why was I hearing a voice in my head when I got the armor?” At that moment everypony stopped eating, including Bright Blade. They all turned to Rainbow Dash, a mixture of disbelief and confirmation apparent on their faces. “W-what, don’t tell me I was the only one who heard it!?”

“What did it say,” asked Bright Blade.

Rainbow Dash scratched the back of her head with her hoof, trying to think back. “It said something like, ‘Be not afraid, you are the master of speed, the guardian of the sky,’ at least that’s what I think it said,” reported Rainbow Dash.

“I heard a voice too, when I put up that shield and spoke that weird language, it said to me ‘Trust in yourself Twilight Sparkle, you are the Element of Magic, look to the unseen…’” said Twilight.

“When I wanted to heal Bright Blade, before the yellow crystal moved, I heard a voice saying ‘As you wish mylady…’” said Rarity.

“‘Your kindness is strength shy one, to those whom you care for, let their strength be added to yours…’” said Fluttershy. .

“‘You who have tended to the earth, and made it bountiful, the earth will now fight for you, for your strength is boundless, she who can tell no lie…’ that’s what mine told me,” said Applejack.

“I think mine was pretty accurate it said ‘Laughter is your gift, and now it shall be your weapon, go forth and protect the smiles of everypony…’” said Pinkie Pie.

Bright Blade was surprised by what he had heard, all his friends heard a voice, urging them, and giving them the confidence they needed to use their new found powers. Upon hearing this Bright Blade put down his food and stood up. “Guys you’re not the only ones who heard a voice in your heads,” said Bright Blade, a tone of worry in his voice.

“What do you mean surgarcube,” asked Applejack.

Bright Blade took a deep breath and sighed before answering. “When I was knocked out, poisoned by the hydra, I heard something. I wasn’t sure if I was hallucinating or if I was dreaming it all up, but after hearing what you all said…” Bright Blade began to stop, not knowing if he should continue at the risk of being called crazy.

“It’s alright, just tell us what you remember sweetie,” said Rarity.

“I-I also heard a voice, it was telling me ‘You can’t let them lose hope…’” said Bright Blade. The seven of them sat in silence, still taking in what they heard from each other. In the end they finished their meal and decided to catch some Z’s.
That night Bright Blade was having nightmares about the hydra, about how close he had come to death twice. Also what disturbed him more is what Fluttershy told Twilight in secret, not knowing that he was eavesdropping. During her time in her Ursa Major state, Fluttershy was able to feel the emotions and hear the thoughts of the hydra. To both Twilight’s and Bright Blade’s surprise, the hydra was in actuality trapped inside itself. Apparently whatever happened to it, took control of its mind brought out a darker more violent version of the hydra. Fluttershy told her that the original hydra was crying out in pain at having its body and mind altered, and that when Twilight finished it off with her spell the hydra silently spoke “thank you.” Needless to say this made Twilight cry, knowing that she had killed an innocent creature, without trying to help it first.

“Don’t be sad Twilight, in the end he was happy for what you did, you set him free,” consoled Flutteshy, patting Twilight’s back as she sobbed.

“But there had to be something I could’ve done, a restoration spell, a healing spell, something!? Anything else but killing it!” Twilight cried.

Bright Blade watched as Fluttershy brought Twilight’s head up to meet her gaze, staring at her seriously with tears welling up in her eyes, Fluttershy then said, “Twilight, if you hadn’t, then I would have…That poor hydra was in so much pain, and as much as I wished I couldn’t make him normal again, what you did was the better option.”

Even now as Bright Blade laid awake in the dead of night, he could hear Twilight’s soft sobs and whimpers, still beating herself up for not finding any other solution then to kill the hydra. Bright Blade softly pounded the mattress in anger with a furrowed brow and a wanting to tear Tikara Balak apart. Corrupting the hydra, and turning it into a total monster against its will! Ugh, if only I could’ve taken him out three months ago, thought Bright Blade. For a minute he fumed about how much he hated Tikara Balak, but then sighed heavily. It’s different now, with everything that’s happened this has to be a sign that we’re going to win, I know it! The young colt turned to Twilight’s bed, and with a confident look nodded his head. Swearing to himself, no matter what it takes, no matter how powerful the enemy, he would fight as hard as he could. For the world, for his friends – correction – his family, and for the mare he loved! THE MARE I LOVE!!!? Bright Blade shook his head, trying to disperse the amount of blood that was rushing to his cheeks. I’m – I’m not in love with Twilight! She’s – I don’t love her – okay wait I do love her, but more like an older sister, a really cute older sister, and kind, and strong, and smart, aaaaannnnnnnnnddddd – I need to stop right there! Bright Blade, despite his efforts, couldn’t stop himself from blushing. With that awkward feeling and thoughts running through his head, Bright Blade forced himself to go back to sleep.

The rest of his night was even more awkward then he would’ve tolerated. Instead of having nightmares about the recent and past battles he had been in, Bright Blade was having dreams about Twilight and himself. Many scenarios being played out inside his subconscious, some playful, some slightly romantic, and others he was sure that he wasn’t supposed to be having till he was older. One in particular stood out in his mind.
In the dream Twilight was surrounded by Daemoni hordes, she was exhausted, and almost out of power. Then, out of the blue sky, Bright Blade would fly down and unleash one devastating attack after another, wiping out the Daemoni. Once they were defeated Bright Blade would descend to the ground and declare that they were safe. Twilight’s horn would then glow; firing a magic bolt passed his head. When he turned around a Daemoni was sneaking up on him, only to be blasted by Twilight. She would then trot up to him and began nuzzling his neck; Twilight would then look up into his emerald green eyes with her violet amethyst eyes. Their muzzles drawing closer, Twilight’s eyelids lazily shutting…

-THUD!-

At the end of the dream Bright Blade found himself on the hard wood floor, having rolled out of bed, holding his now throbbing nose. “I hate my dreams,” muttered Bright Blade.


The next morning Bright Blade woke up to find that Twilight wasn’t in her bed anymore. Curious as to her whereabouts, Bright Blade got out of bed and headed into the other room. When he opened the door he was surprised to see that Twilight’s armor had gone, and her Element of Magic tiara was now back on her head. She seemed to be scribbling down something on her podium, diligently concentrating. Bright Blade trotted next to Twilight and saw that she was writing in a leather bound book. A journal, probably a diary, thought Bright Blade. He then nudged her shoulder with his head, keeping his eyes away from the journal just in case she was writing something personal. “Hey Twilight, you writing a report for Major Broadside or something,” he asked.

Twilight’s mane and tail shot up in surprise as she gave a scared squeak sound. The book slammed shut and the quill pen dropped to the floor. Twilight then jumped back and took a defensive stance as if anticipating an attack. When she realized who it was her expression turned from one of fear, to one of embarrassment and surprise. “Bright Blade, you’re up! How did you sleep!?” she asked, nervously.

Bright Blade raised an eyebrow, “Good, I guess, how about you?” he asked.

“Fine, just fine – OH! I have something to show you, over here,” said Twilight, pushing the young colt forward.

Diary, definitely a diary, thought Bright Blade. Without resisting, Bright Blade followed Twilight to a small desk in the corner of the room. Above it was a strategic map of Equestria with small pins that had red and blue tips. On the desk were six sheets of parchment paper, and it appeared each one had the name of one of their friends. “What’s this,” asked Bright Blade.

Twilight’s horn glowed, levitating the six sheets in front of them. “I got up early, and as you can see my armor’s gone. So I went to go check on the others and see if it happened to them, it did. But while I was there I asked them what transpired during their individual fights on the battlefield and I came up with some interesting finds.” Twilight brought one of the parchment sheets forward, at the top was written the name Fluttershy. According to Twilight’s findings her armor gives her the ability to transform into any animal she so chooses, no matter the size. Rainbow Dash’s armor gave her incredible speed; her crystal wings seemed to allow her to absorb light energy which gave her the ability to fire prismatic beams and possibly that was what helped her to fly fast. Pinkie Pie’s armor seemed to be, well, as random as she was, bending the fabric of reality slightly, and putting her “Pinkie Sense” into overdrive. Rarity’s armor was hard to figure out; her six floating gemstones possessed a different power as best as she could figure, the yellow one healed while the green one defended. “Wow, looks like the Elements connected to your guys’ traits,” said Bright Blade. “But what about you?”

“Oh yeah, well that’s a bit harder to describe. When I was casting my spells I was able to see the Mana Network, an interwoven grid of magical energy that flows through us all, and fuels all forms of magic in Equestria! When I used the spells, it was like my mind was an internal library! All kinds of spells new and old, and some I’m sure aren’t even in the Canterlot Royal Library!”

Bright Blade liked the way Twilight’s eyes lit up whenever she started talking about magic, her area of expertise. He then quickly shook his head when he found out that he was staring instead of listening to her. Just then they heard a knock at their door. Bright Blade sighed in relief, thanking Celestia for the distraction. “I’ll get it.”

When Bright Blade opened the door there was a unicorn magician from Twilight’s battalion. She saluted the young colt and her leader, and quickly put her hoof down. “Captain Sparkle, Major Broadside requests that you and Lieutenant Blade come to the war room immediately,” said the unicorn mare.

“Thank you Amethyst Star,” said Twilight. Amethyst Star saluted one more time, then took her leave. Bright Blade and Twilight glanced at each other and nodded. “Let’s go.”

A few minutes later Bright Blade and Twilight were in the War Room, to their surprise so was everypony else. After a while Major Broadside joined the group, with two earth pony stallions brining in some sort of contraption, the stallions then placed it in the middle of the table. It was round, and made of polished steel. On four different sides of the device were crystals similar to their Iris Callers, with a fifth placed in the center on a stand with a red button next to it. Once it was on the table Major Broadside motioned for the two stallions to leave, shutting the door behind them. “If you’re wondering why I’ve asked you all to be here, it’s simple. I made a report to Princess Celestia late last night, detailing the events of the battle yesterday. Upon her orders I was told to bring you all here so that she may talk to you all directly,” announced Major Broadside.

With that Major Broadside pushed the red button. The crystals angled and energized themselves, firing light blue beams that hit the center crystal. It glowed and blinked, it then projected a round portal, within the portal shimmered an image. After a few seconds the image came into focus, showing a white alicorn in regal battle armor, her magenta eyes looking down upon the seven ponies. “Greetings everypony,” said Princess Celestia.

“Greetings your majesty,” they all said in unison, bowing before the image.

“Major Broadside has informed me about what has occurred at Fort Avalon; needless to say I was surprised by what he told me. But after hearing all this and given the current situation, Luna and I wish to ask you again. Do you still wish to continue the fight?” she asked.

Twilight, Bright Blade, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash gave an affirmative nod. Bright Blade wasn’t about to quit now, not after finally gaining control over his alicorn transformation. He figured that Twilight, AJ, and Rainbow would stay, but the real question was if the others would. Fluttershy, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie had decided three months ago what their decisions were, now, after being empowered by the Elements, and facing the enemy, what would they do now?

The three ponies glanced at each other, and seemed to come to some silent agreement. “Princess Celestia, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and I wish to fight,” said Rarity.

Needless to say this came as a shock to the others, sure they may have the Element Armor, but after yesterday’s events they didn’t think they wanted to stick around anymore. “Princess Celestia, the only reason why we didn’t join was that we felt like we didn’t have much to contribute. And to be honest, we’d probably get in the way,” explained Fluttershy.

“But now it’s different! The Elements gave us super-awesomely-terrifically-powerful armor, so now we can help like everypony else,” said Pinkie Pie.

Twilight looked to Applejack and Rainbow Dash, and then they looked to the three friends. “We didn’t know that’s how you guys felt, why didn’t you tell us,” asked Rainbow Dash.

“That’s just it Rainbow Dash, that was then, and quite honestly I couldn’t really see myself performing battle magic like Twilight and the other unicorns. Now we have a chance, a chance to fight for our homes, friends, and family. Please Princess, allow us to fight for you, for Equestria,” asked Rarity.

Princess Celestia closed her eyes for a moment, pondering the notion. After a brief couple of seconds Princess Celestia looked at them and smiled. “I would be honored to have you three brave mares joining us.” The group cheered; now their group was whole once again, the Elements of Harmony united in the cause to save Equestria from evil once more. After a minute the group quieted down to hear the rest of Celestia’s message. “Based upon Major Broadside’s account, as well as several eyewitness accounts of what happened, I would like to assign, and reassign, some of you to different forts so that you may lend them your strength.”

“Wait, Princess Celestia, you’re splitting us up,” asked Bright Blade, concerned.

This reassignment would even the odds for us considerably, as much as I do not wish to, I must in order to assure the other strongholds remain standing.” Princess Celestia took a moment to gather her thoughts before speaking. “Applejack, Rainbow Dash, I’m reassigning you two to Fort Caliburn near Las Pegasus. Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, you three will be assigned to Fort Valor near Hoofshire. And finally, Twilight and Bright Blade,” BB gulped, “I would like for the two of you to stay at Fort Avalon for the time being.” Bright let out a sigh of relief, thinking the Princess might send him off to another fort. “Chariots will be arriving shortly to take you along secure routes to your new locations. Good luck to you all.”

With that the portal closed, the beams died out and returned to their original position. Major Broadside stepped forward and cleared his throat before speaking. “Alright you have your assignments and your orders, the chariots will be arriving in an hour, dismissed.”


The seven friends stood in the courtyard, ready for their departure. There were sad faces all around, having been reunited after three months preparing for war, now they were being separated once again to aid in the their victory for the war. Rainbow Dash had challenged Bright Blade to a quick race; he happily obliged her by transforming into his alicorn form and taking off at great speed. The two airborne ponies did many aerial tricks, Bright Blade enjoyed this, he was finally able to put all those lessons Rainbow taught to use. Somersaulting in midair, zigzagging from one sharp turn to the next, spiraling up and descending into a quick nose dive, Bright Blade did all these and more as he kept up with Rainbow Dash. “Sorry BB, but ya can’t beat me!” Rainbow Dash increased her speed as they continued their descent.

Playing chicken huh Dash, alright challenge accepted! Bright Blade also increased his speed; the two of them were neck and neck as they drew closer to the ground. Their friends watched on from the ground tensing up as Rainbow Dash and Bright Blade didn’t pull up. At the last second Bright Blade flared out his wings creating a thudding whoosh sound, Bright Blade gently floated the last few inches to the ground. Bright Blade looked around confused, “Where’s Rainbow Dash,” asked Bright Blade.

“Right here squirt,” said Rainbow. Bright Blade felt some weight on his back and turned his head; standing in the middle of his back was Rainbow Dash. “Not bad, BB, looks like my lessons finally sunk in,” said Rainbow Dash, proudly.

“Yeah and it only took you dropping me from the sky ten times,” commented Bright Blade.

The others laughed as Dash blushed, with Bright shaking his head, remembering each mild heart attack he would get during those ten times. Rainbow Dash then looked to the sky and, with an unenthusiastic look and tone in her voice, pointed a hoof upwards. “They’re here…”

The two chariots were being drawn by four strong pegasus stallions. The two large chariots landed side by side, the first chariot had a flag with two swords laid on top of each other forming an X, with a laurel wreath encircling the swords. Fort Caliburn, thought Bright Blade. The second chariot’s flag had a picture of an armor clad earth pony, with a shield and spear on it. Fort Valor, guess time’s up

Rainbow Dash floated up and landed next to Applejack. The orange earth pony played with the rim of her Stetson hat before going up to Twilight. “We’ll miss ya Twi, do me a favor and look after Big Macintosh. I know he can take care of himself, but it sure give me peace a mind if you could.” Twilight nodded. She then looked to the alicorn Bright Blade, she then patted him on the head, to which he gave a few annoyed grunts, but then he smiled. “And you look after Twilight, alright sugarcube,” asked Applejack.

“I will,” Bright Blade responded.

“You better,” said Rainbow Dash, giving Bright a light punch in the shoulder.

“Be safe all of you,” said Rarity.

“We’ll miss you,” said Fluttershy, not hiding the sadness in her voice.

Pinkie remained silent, they were about to start trotting to their designated chariots when Pinkie Pie stamped her hoof. The others stared at Pinkie, wondering why she did that. “Let’s promise – let’s all promise to make it through, and that we’ll see each other again!” said Pinkie Pie.

“Of course we will,” said Twilight.

“P-Pinkie Promise,” asked Pinkie Pie.

The gang traded glances with each other and with smiles on their faces they all answered together. “Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!” They laughed heartedly as they cemented their pact.

Bright Blade watched as his friends got on the chariots, once all were accounted for the pegasus stallions began to flap their wings, ascending into the air and heading towards their preordained destinations. Twilight and Bright Blade stood there as the chariots started to fade from view. He turned his head slightly and saw that tears were beginning to well up in her eyes. Bright Blade, after returning his gaze to the sky, extended his left wing and draped it over Twilight’s body. Twilight jumped a bit, startled by Bright Blade’s sudden wing embrace, but quickly regained her composure and allowed Bright’s wing to fully cover her. At that moment Bright Blade was glad that his armor was covering most of his face, otherwise Twilight would’ve seen reddening cheeks. He tried to convey as much comfort as he could.

“See you soon, girls,” whispered Twilight.

Don’t worry Twilight, we’ll see them again, whatever it takes we will beat Tikara Balak. And we will return to Ponyveille, all of us…together. The chariots finally flew far enough that they vanished from sight, leaving Twilight and Bright Blade behind to aid in the defense of Fort Avalon.

Celestia has given her orders, the Mane Six, now imbued with the power of the Elements go forth to lend aid to their fellow UEA forces. The war continues on…