• Published 17th Jul 2012
  • 3,357 Views, 170 Comments

War in Equestria: The Tale of Bright Blade - Michael_Ravencroft



An evil long kept secret rises from the depths, threatening war on Equestria, and all hope lies with a young colt...Bright Blade and the Elements of Harmony must work together to defeat an army of demon ponies and save their world from darkness!

  • ...
17
 170
 3,357

Chapter 40

Chapter 40: The Resurgence of Hope

Black lightning shot forth from the spiked pillars as the cloudless rain continued to fall. The battle on the plains was not going well for UEA forces, having been forced back into a retreat by the Daemoni. Upon the Altar of Calamity Tikara Balak was preparing for the execution of the remaining Elements of Harmony, having Eclipse line them up in a neat row. Their Elemental Armor had lost its glow just like Excellion, Twilight and the others were still in mourning having seen Bright Blade slain before them.

Tikara Balak was facing his Elements of Darkness, basking in their ominous light, letting it fill him with renewed energy. Despite the continuous downpour he was feeling rather elated, everything was happening according to plan.

"You've foiled your own plan, it won't work," said Twilight.

Tikara glanced over his right shoulder at the lavender mare, while Eclipse gave a menacing glare. "No Eclipse, let her speak. Now Element of Magic, tell me why you say it will fail?"

"Bright Blade was the seventh Element, and you said you need all the Elements of Harmony for your plan to succeed, but now that he's...dead...you can't go through with it, you'd risk destroying and destabilizing the world," explained Twilight.

Tikara raised an eyebrow, moderately impressed by her observation. "You make a good point, but alas you are wrong. The seventh Element, Hope, acts as a booster for the others as opposed to your Element, Magic, which focuses the power. Six Elements are more than enough to keep the balance," said Tikara Balak.

"Brother it is time," said Eclipse.

"Very well...Come to me o sword of destruction, hear me now as I call you to action! Raze this land to the ground! Bring an end to their Utopia, my mighty sword Umbara!" The black orichalcum sword appeared before Tikara Balak, he then held it in a telekinetic grip as he trotted down the line, determining which one would be first.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash both had defiant looks in their eyes, not them. Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, although cut and beat, still managed to put on a brave face. Twilight was staring daggers at Tikara, understandable, but she seemed ready to fight him to the last breath. A good first candidate, but not as rewarding. His gaze finally fell on Rarity, still weak from Eclipse's assault. Perfect, he thought. Tikara Balak nodded towards Eclipse, on cue; she used her power to drag the fashionista from the group.

"Tikara," shouted Twilight.

"Leave her alone," shouted Fluttershy.

"Silence." Eclipse increased her gravity hold on the others, forcing them down to the ground.

With that settled Tikara Balak raised Umbara up, ready to decapitate the violet maned mare. "Any parting words or things you'd like to confess?"

"Oh I have plenty of choice words for you, but I am a lady," said Rarity haughtily.

With a shrug Tikara Balak brought down his blade, but stopped just mere inches from the nape of Rarity's neck. Vicious roars could be heard, directed their way, the ponies all looked around, searching for the source. Just then a loud thud, along with the sounds of crackling electricity, rang out around them. All six mares turned around and saw none other than Spike. The large purple dragon was furiously clawing at the black lightning barrier, soaring high up and ramming it, blasting it with green dragon fire, doing everything he could to get inside.

"SPIKE," Rarity cried out.

The purple dragon flapped his mighty wings, putting some distance between himself and the barrier. Spike then placed the flats of his palms together, instantly violet energy began to swirl around them. He then separated his palms, both of which were glowing with spheres of intense mana. Spike reared back his head and unleashed a stream of dragon fire, at the same time he released the energy of the spheres, firing twin violet mana beams. The three attacks struck the black lightning shield forming a triangle. Spike angled the beams and fire stream to converge at the center, the combined attacks created a rift in the shield. With one strong burst of power Spike tore open the rift, creating a hole large enough for him to enter. He did so quickly, as the shield repaired itself, barely catching the tip of his tail.

Tikara and Eclipse jumped back a few feet as Spike landed in front of them, he looked to Rarity who was now staring up at him, tears of joy and sadness flowing down her face. "Rarity what – what happened to you!?" Spike turned his head and gazed down at the condition of his friends. "To all of you!?"

"Spike, not that we're not all happy to see you, but you need to leave and quickly," urged Rarity.

"Sorry, no can do. I'm not leaving my friends and girlfriend –" at this he gave Rarity a wink, "especially when you guys are this badly injured!" Spike took a moment to do a head count, there only six of them. "Wait a minute…where's Bright Blade!?"

Twilight was the closets one to the shard remains of the Element of Hope; she tapped them gingerly, fearing that they may break even more. It didn't take long for Spike to make the connection, his surrogate brother was dead. "I'm sorry Spike…" spoke Twilight.

Spike had to bite back his own tears, but used the sorrow he felt to fuel his anger. His green eyes sparkled with fierce hatred towards Tikara and Eclipse. The evil alicorn stared at the barrier spires, a bit annoyed. "Dragon magic, I should have compensated for that when I created the barrier, no matter." Tikara then turned his attention to Spike, and smirked. "Well, well young dragon, tell me have you come to rescue your friends and avenge the Construct?"

"Yes to both, but before that there's something I never got to do," said Spike.

"Pray tell, what is it?"

"I never got to thank you." Tikara and Eclipse stared at the large purple dragon, perplexed. The others did as well, with Rarity having a confused expression on her face. "If it wasn't for what you did I would've never have been able to tell Rarity how I really felt, nor would I have been able to unlock my true powers. So…THANK YOU!!!!!!!!" Spike shouted as he unleashed a torrent of dragon fire from his maw.

Eclipse intercepted the attack, forming a shield to protect her and Tikara Balak. "Childish…"

Flames washed over the shield, obscuring everything around them. When the flames died down Spike was nowhere to be seen. It didn't take long for Spike to make himself known, having jumped into the air, and was now descending on them with his right claw thrust forward. Eclipse and Tikara Balak dashed to the right and left, missing the strike at the last second. Spike then whipped his tail to the left smashing into Eclipse and sending her flying into one of the obelisks.

The angered dragon turned his attention to Tikara Balak, swiping at him with mana edged claws, and snapping at the retreating alicorn with his powerful jaws. Despite all this, Tikara's expression did not change; a smug look still permeated his face. This only served to anger Spike further, thinking that Tikara was not taking him seriously."Well that's enough fun; after all I do have a ceremony to complete." Tikara Balak teleported out of sight, Spike looked up and watched as Tikara Balak, with Umbara clutched in the crook of his two front hooves, brought the dark blade down on Spike's left shoulder.

Spike only felt a sting, at first, but soon Umbara's blade flared up with dark mana. Tikara Balak continued to slash diagonally from there, the dark mana surged as he completed the attack. Magnifying the slash a hundred times its size and severely wounding Spike, the gash sprayed with crimson dragon blood as Spike roared in pain, the sting now having become a searing, stabbing, painful sensation. The wound ran from his left shoulder, across his chest, and stopped before reaching his right side. Spike could feel the warm life sustaining blood flow from the cut; his left arm was limp, having lost all feeling in it.

Tikara had landed on his hind legs, releasing Umbara so that he could come down on all fours. "Don't worry, you won't die just yet, you'll live long enough to see these brave and valiant mares give their lives in order to bring about a new world," said Tikara Balak, his voice almost taking on a sympathetic tone.

"NO YOU WON'T –!"

"Be still…" Spike's body was quickly trapped in the gravity bind of Eclipse, the added restraining energy only made his wound ache more. He tried to fight against it, but Eclipse's power was more than enough to keep him from doing anything. "Brother, you may continue."

"Good, no more interruptions, no more interference, just us and –!" Tikara stopped, his eyes shifted from right to left. He then started to move about, as if searching for something. "This cannot be...!?"


Out in the distance three twinkling lights shined on the horizon. The light's shined brighter and brighter, getting closer. Some of the UEA soldiers, Buffalos, Griffons, and dragons watched as the twinkling light became streaks of multicolored light. The red and yellow streak broke off from the formation; it then tore its way through the massive onslaught of Daemoni, disintegrating them at the point of contact. The second pink and white streak joined the first as the two of them worked in tandem to take out horn and ground Daemoni alike. The third violet and orange streak blazed a trail of destruction through the winged Daemoni, igniting them, turning them into flying fireballs before they puffed out of existence.

Shining Armor, Princess Cadance, Major Broadside, Sergeant Big Mac, Captain Ballista, Captain Spitfire, Chief Thunderhooves, and Little Strongheart all gazed in awe at this phenomenon. These three streaks of light were dividing their efforts, destroying all Daemoni that dared to get near them, the demon ponies may have been empowered by the gray skies and cloudless rain, but they were no match for this new adversary.

The lights then regrouped in the air, and then zoomed off towards the Altar of Calamity in formation. On cue the black lightning barrier formed around the Altar platform, ready to repel the incoming enemy. The three streaks of light merged into one beam and, like a whizzing arrow, pierced the barrier. The collapse of the shield caused the fallout energy to feedback into the obelisks, making them crumble to pieces on the spot.

The unified beam swirled around the Altar platform, Tikara Balak's eyes shifted from one side to the other, watching the beam carefully. The others moved their heads in unison with the beam, wondering what in Equestria could be behind this strange occurrence. The beam soared high above the platform, after a few seconds the beam descended down to the platform, landing with a bright flash. Everypony shielded their eyes, the radiance of the light too blinding. After a minute the light died down, allowing them to open their eyes and see who or what was behind the beam. All seven were shocked at the sight of three mares wearing golden armor.

"Interesting…It looks like the seventh Element problem has just solved itself."

The red maned mare turned her head and gasped at the sight of the other six and urged her companions to look as well, eliciting a gasp of horror from the two. "Wha-what in Equestria happened to y'all," shouted the red maned mare.

Applejack's ears perked up, she recognized the voice of this pony, but it couldn't be. "A-Apple Bloom…?" Applejack dared ask.

Apple Bloom ran towards her big sister, she inspected her body and winced when her eyes fell upon Applejack's broken hind legs. "Sis, ah-ah can't believe this, what did they do ta ya," asked Apple Bloom her voice cracking.

"Ah'm-ah'm fine, for the most part."

Scootaloo rushed to Rainbow Dash's side and Sweetie Belle to Rarity's. Both of them nuzzling their cheeks, showing their joy for being reunited, and concern for their present condition. "Wow, you guys got powers too," said Spike, having been released from the gravity hold.

Sweetie Belle, with a sympathetic look in her eyes, trotted between the others and Spike. She then closed her eyes; the bell hanging from her neck began to glow. The bell began to swing back and forth on its own, each time the clapper hit the mouth of the bell music started to echo. It was not normal, a bell should ring, but it was making music, as if it were an all-in-one orchestra. "Panacea Orchestra…" the bell then started to emit pulsating waves of energy, the waves then washed over the injured. Twilight's horn started to regrow, Applejack's hind legs began mending themselves, Rainbow Dash's wings were reforming, Fluttershy's cuts were quickly disappearing, Pinkie Pie's and Rarity's various fractures and bruises were now vanishing. Even Spike's large bleeding gash was now almost gone.

Tikara Balak and Eclispse were sickened by the power being released by Sweetie Belle's mysterious bell. But it was a power that they recognized. Soon all who were wounded started to rise again, feeling rejuvenated and refreshed. Sweetie Belle's bell soon stopped ringing as the song slowly faded away.

"Sweetie Belle, what kind of magic is this," asked Twilight.

"It feels similar to our armor's power, but how can that be," asked Fluttershy.

"I guess you could say, these are Bright Blade's gifts to us," answered Scootaloo.

"Bright Blade…girls, he's…" Spike tried to say it, but still found it hard to accept.

The Valkyries trotted over to the large dragon and placed a hoof on his right claw in a comforting fashion. At that moment the crystal orbs on their chest plates glowed, all three of them nodded to each other, silently confirming something between them. "Twilight…where…where's Bright Blade?" Apple Bloom asked.

Twilight's regrown horn lit up, the shards of the Element of Hope floated to the ground in front of the three grown mares. "Now stand back everypony," ordered Scootaloo.

The seriousness in her voice made all of them do as she asked. Tikara Balak and Eclipse did not like where this was going. "I have no idea what you three are playing at, but this little game of yours is over, UMBARA!" The black sword moved in front of Tikara, it then spun rapidly, forming a dark magic circle. "Desolation Wave!!!" A beam of black mana fired at the group.

"Omni Force!!!" Eclipse's twin horns let loose an energy filled pressure wave that accompanied Tikara's attack.

The orbs on the Valkyries' chest's plates shined, releasing a powerful wave that formed a protective barrier around the group. Tikara's and Eclipse's double attack was canceled out the moment they hit the barrier, dispelling them harmlessly. Inside the barrier the others were staring in wonder at how they were able to create such a powerful shield. Their gaze then fell on the three former Cutie Mark Crusaders, now standing around the shards in a triangle formation. The orbs shined even with greater intensity as they closed their eyes and allowed the power to rise within them. All three Valkyries closed their eyes, concentrating on the task before them.

Bright Blade we know you're still there, thought Sweetie Belle.

You can't leave us now, we have to stand as one, thought Scootaloo.

Our friends miss ya, we miss ya, please hear us Bright, thought Apple Bloom.

The three orbs then fired energy beams at the shards, the remains of the Element of Hope began to resonate with the power, a faint heartbeat starting to thump out loud. The shards rose up higher, and then swirled around rapidly. The pieces of stone reformed into the smoothed out stone sphere from before, with Bright Blade's cutie mark still on it. The orb began releasing a golden light that twisted and turned. The light formed legs, a body, a tail, wings, a head, and finally a horn. Two glowing emerald green eyes then appeared on the head, and with a brilliant flash, the cloudless rain had suddenly stopped, he had returned. And they all gasped with absolute joy.

Bright Blade blinked his eyes; everything was white and now coming into focus. He saw Spike, Twilight, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie, they were all alright, and each one on the verge of crying tears of happiness. He then spotted three mares standing around him garbed in golden armor, who apparently were also about to cry. "I'm…I'm alive, but how, and who are you guys!?"

"C'mon B, you seriously don't recognize us," said the orange pegasus.

After a couple of seconds Bright Blade noticed it, the colors of their manes and coats, and this feeling of familiarity. "Scootaloo…!?"

"The one and only!"

"Sweetie Belle?"

The pink and purple maned mare ran her hoof through her mane before answering. "Of course," she said.

"Apple Bloom!?"

"Eeyup," said Apple Bloom, imitating her older brother.

"Looks like the Cutie Mark Crusaders suited up, how did you guys – I mean no offense, but you three aren't exactly Elements of Harmony," asked Bright Blade.

"We just realized that you were always with us Bright, even when you weren't physically there, the great hope that you are, in that form, stayed alongside us," said Sweetie Belle smiling.

"Oh and B, it's not Cutie Mark Crusaders anymore. From now on call us the Valkyries!" Scootaloo announced proudly.

Spike took a few short steps forward and he too smiled at Bright Blade. "Welcome back bro," said Spike.

"I can't believe it," said Twilight. "You're really…alive, you're alive!"

Everypony wanted to jump right into a giant group hug, but Tikara Balak didn't give them the chance. With a swing of Umbara the barrier surrounding the group dispersed, revealing his archenemy back from the dead. Needless to say Tikara was particularly miffed about his return after killing him once. Eclipse, for the first time, clearly displayed shock at Bright Blade's resurrection. "Impossible, I slayed you, I destroyed the Element of Hope, I killed hope itself!!!"

The others looked to each other, with a serious expression, and a smile upon their faces, they all turned to meet Tikara Balak and Eclipse, poised for battle. Bright Blade trotted forward, the Valkyries flanking him as he did, he willed his navy blue armor to appear and sure enough it did, he was now ready for battle.

"Tikara you may be able to destroy the Element of Hope, but I am only a manifestation, hope lives deep in the hearts of all living creatures! So now let us show you this power, this spark, this light, this RAY OF HOPE!!!!!!!"

Bright Blade's body then shined with golden light. The light zoomed off into the sky, higher and higher it rose, till it was close to the black sun. The golden light then shined like a newborn star, illuminating, dispelling the gray color and bringing back the bright azure sky. The cloudless rain stopped and was replaced with particles of golden light, floating down like snowflakes.

At that moment the Daemoni all snarled and brayed, screeching in pain and agony as the golden snow fell on them. To everyone else it was like being reenergized, all the fatigue they had felt from battle was now gone, their power at its peak. The United Forces turned back and charged the Daemoni, it was a complete slaughter, the demon ponies too distracted and in too much pain to counter attack, let alone process that they were being attacked.

On the platform six pillars of light shot forth, violet, purple, red, blue, orange, and pink. The Elements' power had been restored, and the six mares could feel their wonderful, bountiful energy run through their bodies once more. Spike and the Valkyries could also feel the surge of power running through them.

"I will not let this stand, you fell by my blade once, and you will again!!!!" Tikara flew up, aiming towards the shining golden star. The Valkyries saw this, flared up their auras, and took off to intercept him.

"Brother!" Eclipse was about to follow her brother, but was cut off by several multicolored energy beams. "Insolent foals!!"

"Darling I think you have more pressing matters to deal with right now," said Rarity.

Their armor was shining, as if it had been polished, brand new. The crystal cutie marks were pulsing with power. Rarity's jewels had been recreated, Fluttershy was in her dragon avatar form, Pinkie Pie had already summoned her Giga Party Cannons, and Twilight's horn was flaring with mana.

"Namely us," said Rainbow Dash.

"Let's do it Rainbow," shouted Applejack.

At that moment both Rainbow Dash and Applejack jumped up into the air, they were soon met by two tornados, one made of dirt, rock and sand, the other of gusting turbulent wind. AJ and RD merged into the tornados, and took off to the right and to the left. Eclipse watched them closely as the two doubled back. Inside the tornados both mares concentrated their power into their hooves, preparing for the attack that was to come. Thrusting out their hooves, the tips of the tornados glowed, Eclipse turned around at the last second ready to attack. They weaved around the pillars holding the Elements of Darkness and struck Eclipse dead center in the chest, the stunned monochrome alicorn was launched off the platform and into the air.

Eclipse twirled around in midair for a few seconds then willed herself to stop, her eyes were fierce with anger, her once emotionless façade giving way. She then spotted something, a milky blue dragon being closely followed by a purple dragon, with a white pony on its back. "Omni Force!" Eclipse shouted.

The pressure energy wave headed right for Fluttershy and Spike, but they were ready. Spike and Flutteshy combined their Magic Canceler ability and effectively disrupted Eclipse's spell. "NOW RARITY," shouted Spike.

Rarity began galloping towards Spike's snout, with perfect timing; Spike flicked his head upwards sending the white unicorn mare flying. Rarity stretched out her left hoof as her horn lit up with its usual blue aura. White and blue mana started gathering around her left hoof forming a ball, it then elongated and curved, changing into an archer's bow. "Rubis, Saphir, Topaze, Diamant, Émeraude, Grenat!" The six gems swirled around in a circle as they heeded their mistress's call, glowing. "S'unir comme un seul!" The gem stones united into one clear crystal, with a rainbow like energy brimming at its center. The crystal then formed an arrow shaft made of light; Rarity touched the end of the arrow with the tip of her hoof. As if connected by some unseen energy Rarity positioned the arrow on the bow, in her mind she imagined drawing back a string, and in reality a string of light notched with the arrow, and then drew it back.

"No you don't! Omni Flare!" Eclipse's twin horns roared to life, collecting energy, and releasing the blast as a stream of twilight fire. The flames continued to progress almost about to reach Rarity, but at that moment Fluttershy and Spike bellowed their dragon fire, combining it into one powerful burst. The two flames battled for supremacy, pushing against each other. Behind the two dragons a light shined, and Eclipse gasped.

"Flèche Prisme Tirer!!!" Rarity fired the arrow, mixing with the milky blue and green flames, and piercing the twilight fire. The arrow sailed closer and closer to Eclipse who was now putting everything she had into the attack, and it seemed as if she was going to stop the arrow. But there was something else lying in wait.

Up above Pinkie Pie had gathered all five of her Giga Party Cannons into a pentagon formation. The five barrels interconnected their energy ordinance, on the verge of spilling out their building power. Pinkie Pie, standing on the lead cannon, raised her pauldron cape. "I forgot, today's the day you were born Eclipse, so here's a present! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!" The cannons fired a unified sparkling, crackling, multicolored blast.

Eclipse only noticed the blast at the last second, her concentration wavered, allowing Rarity's arrow to follow through. The two attacks struck at the same time, causing a massive explosion, Eclipse plummeted from the sky and crash landed into the side of the staircase. Eclipse continued to tumble until she skidded to a stop a foot away from the stairs. The monochrome alicorn rose up her eyes burned with anger as she noticed another of her enemies standing a few feet away, Twilight Sparkle, horn aglow, with four spheres of energy hovering over her head.

"Fulgur formam, forma ignis, ventus forma, et magicae forma! Quattuor Magnus Titana Iugulare Hastas!!!"

The four spheres shot up into the air, elongated, and enlarged. They were now four giant spears, each one made of a different elemental power. From the right, lightning, fire, wind, and lastly magic. With a bow of Twilight's head the four giant spears descended upon Eclipse, but instead of skewering her, or exploding, the spears crisscrossed and effectively pinned Eclipse where she stood. She tried to exert her evil powers to break the hold of the spears, but nothing worked.

"FORMATION!" Twilight called. Spike did a flyby and let Rarity jump off next to Twilight. The two tornados of earth and wind intertwined then split off. The earth tornado landed next to the left of Twilight, and revealed Applejack. The wind tornado landed to the left of Applejack and revealed Rainbow Dash. Up above Pinkie Pie was standing on Flutteshy's back, at the last second Pinkie Pie jumped off and landed to the right of Rarity, while Fluttershy dispelled her dragon avatar and landed to the right of Pinkie Pie. "HARMONIC RESONANCE!!!"

The six mares' eyes began to shine as a radiant white light surrounded them. The white light shot forth a double helix rainbow into the air; the two beams combined into one and aimed itself right at Eclipse. The alicorn of the black sun unleashed her full power to cancel out the spears; she then combined her tail and mane into one firing a raging black and white inferno at the rainbow beam. The two attacks met each other in midair, pushing against one another. It was no use as the Harmonic Resonance pushed through the inferno and struck Eclipse!

"NO, YOU WILL NOT TURN ME! I WILL NOT GIVE IN!!!" Eclipse screamed.

She was then enveloped in a rainbow vortex, the multicolored light swirled around her faster and faster. Inside Eclipse could feel herself being torn apart, her form becoming unstable. But something more was happening; deep within the soul of this creature the Princesses used this opportunity to break free of their captor. At that moment Eclipse was forcibly split back into her original forms, Nightmare Moon and Phantasma Sun.

The vortex spun more rapidly, building up more power. The six mares called on all the power of their Elements and drawing on the power from Bright Blade's Ray of Hope. At that moment the vortex shined and flashed. Twilight, Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash all gently floated back down to the ground. Spike eventually flew down next to them; all had worried expressions, wondering if the Harmonic Resonance worked this time. When the light subsided they all gasped at what was lying before them. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna! With overjoyed expressions they quickly rushed to their Princesses sides, checking to make sure that their co-rulers were alright. Celestia and Luna awoke, groggily, and a bit lethargic.

As if waking from a dream they raised their heads up and saw their loyal subjects gazing down at them with concerned and happy looks upon their faces. "Zounds, my head is killing me! Wait we-we're back! Tia we're back to normal," exclaimed Luna.

Celestia took a moment to examine herself; she then breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank mother…" Celestia and Luna both had downtrodden looks on their faces, a feeling of great guilt, shame, and regret weighing heavy on their hearts. "All of you, words cannot express our deep sorrow and regret for all we have put you through…" said Celestia.

"Or what we did to you…" Luna looked away from their saviors, remembering exactly what she and Celestia did to them when they were Eclipse. "Please forgive us, I know you might not accept such a simple apology but –!"

Applejack raised her hoof, cutting off Luna. "Princess Luna, Princess Celestia, none of us blame you fer what happened to us," explained Applejack.

"You were under Tikara Balak's control, you had no choice," said Fluttershy.

"Still, that doesn't excuse what we did to you! And truthfully, as much as we'd hate to admit it, some small part of us did earnestly want to fight alongside our brother…" admitted Celestia.

Twilight trotted to her teacher, reached up, and placed a hoof on her shoulder. The lavender unicorn beamed a smile at Celestia. "Celestia, Luna, no matter what happened to us, we all know that the ones before us are the real Princesses, our real friends, right!?" The others nodded and gave them an encouraging smile.

The Princesses wanted to cry, practically bawl their eyes out, but it seemed that that would have to wait. The group of nine looked up into the sky and watched as a black streak was doing battle with three multicolored streaks.

"The fight isn't over yet!" Twilight said.


***In the skies above the Altar of Calamity***

Tikara Balak was making a beeline for the shining sphere of golden light, the Ray of Hope. Wrapped in his dark mana aura, Tikara clutched Umbara in the crook of his hooves, readying himself to cut down the one who dared challenge his plans. Before he could reach the sphere he was cut off by Apple Bloom, her red and yellow aura flaring, with her war-hammer clinched in her teeth. Tikara Balak raised his sword up and prepared to slash the warrior mare in half. Apple Bloom jerked her head to the right at the same time Tikara slashed with Umbara. The two weapons collided with each other, sending a wave of pressure in every direction.

"Yes I see; I know who you are, sister to the Element of Honesty, Apple Bloom!" Tikara Balak shouted. "How in the world are you able to fly, the unicorn and pegasus I understand, but you're an earth pony!"

Apple Bloom knocked Umbara's blade away and tossed up the war-hammer. She then reached up, willing the weapon to return to her, somehow the hammer was hovering on the flat of her hoof. Being gripped by the power of her golden foreleg horseshoes, though the hammer seemed heavy it was light as a feather to Apple Bloom. The red maned mare swung the war-hammer, bringing it down on Tikara Balak. He quickly balanced Umbara on his hooves and used the flat of the blade to block the attack. The impact of the strike rang through Tikara's body, rattling his teeth.

"Nice ta know ah'm famous! Oh and ta answer yer question, magic armor, duh!"

Apple Bloom then unleashed a flurry of strikes, prompting Tikara to go on the defensive; whenever the evil alicorn tried to counterattack he was blocked by the floating shoulder shields that often intercepted the attacks. Apple Bloom saw an opening after deflecting an attack with her war-hammer; she twirled around and made contact with Tikara. She smashed the flat of the hammer into the right side of the alicorn's face, sending him spiraling in the opposite direction, away from the Ray of Hope.

Tikara Balak spiraled out of control for a few seconds, finally exerting his energy and using it as a buffer to stop himself. With a thunderous boom Tikara halted in midair, glaring angrily in the direction of the Ray of Hope. Just then a flaming comet started to whiz around Tikara, his eyes tried to keep track of the fireball, but found the task difficult. After a minute the comet stopped, the flames dispersed and revealed Scootaloo.

"Don't you think for a second that you're getting passed me," declared Scootaloo.

"Oh little filly, I don't intend to go passed you! I'm going through you!!!"

Scootaloo thrust out her left hoof, the half circle box attached to her foreleg fired a single golden spike. The spike was attached by a rope made of fire as it zoomed towards Tikara Balak. The evil alicorn flapped his wings, propelling him upwards and just barely missing the attack. Scootaloo saw this; she quickly hinged her foreleg towards her, making the fire whip snap up. Tikara saw the whip arching itself towards him and quickly erected a barrier below him, the fire whip crackled and hissed as it dragged across the surface of the barrier. Scootaloo waved her left foreleg, making the whip swing away from Tikara, at the same time she released the second fire whip from her right foreleg, swinging her foreleg downwards as the whip extended itself.

Tikara used his telekinesis to have Umbara intercept the whip. The impact was stronger than he had anticipated, feeling the full force of the attack reverberate in his mind. Scootaloo then began to go into a series of lashes, twirling the flaming whips around, pirouetting, flipping, and dancing to a song only she could hear, to a rhythm only she knew. The flaming embers moved around the orange pegasus mare in a beautiful display, making her violet eyes illuminate as they passed by, the whips obeying her movements only adding to the deadly, fiery beauty that was Scootaloo at this moment.

"You wish to defeat me, fine, but realize that if you win this battle you'll go back to being a flightless filly! You'll no longer possess the power you have now; you'll forever be stuck on the ground, admiring the passing shadow of your precious Rainbow Dash!"

Scootaloo paused for a moment, halting her attack, as if contemplating Tikara Balak's words. "So what if I do, as long as it means that you and those Daemoni never hurt anypony ever again!"

The purple maned pegasus ascended, going higher than Tikara Balak. She did a few somersaulting flips in the air, stretching out her forelegs, and making the fire whips extend out. Using the gathered momentum, Scootaloo made the whips intertwine with each other to form one giant flaming whip; she then brought it down with one swift motion.

"ENOUGH!!!" Tikara used Umbara to cut the whip in half; he then glared at Scootaloo angrily. "Do you think I'm going to let any of you stand in my way, when I'm so close!!?" In front of Tikara a black magic circle appeared, Umbara began to flare with a violent aura, preparing for the attack. "Dark Nebula Slayer!!!"

Tikara dashed through the circle, transforming into a dozen black comets. "Don't think I can't handle that! Ignited Sniper!" Scootaloo flared her flaming wings, dozens upon dozens of golden tipped fire arrows launched from her wings! The fire arrows began to swarm all over the dark comets, making them execute evasive maneuvers. Zigzagging, spiraling, looping, every form of aerial dodge imaginable, but none of them worked. Ten flaming arrows would swarm on one dark comet, and then explode on impact. This continued for comets two and three, then four through eight, and lastly nine through eleven, leaving one lone dark comet heading right for Scootaloo.

The comet changed into Tikara Balak who was now thrusting out Umbara. Scootaloo cocked back her right hoof; the half circle box containing the fire whip reloaded another spike. She then punched forwards sending the fire whip shooting straight for Tikara! The whip hit its mark, piercing straight through his chest armor and out the other end. Scootaloo smirked a little, feeling proud, but just as Tikara looked up at her he smirked back as his body disappeared. Unbeknownst to Scootaloo, Tikara was right behind her, positioned to remove her head!

"Last Shadow!"

"Sonata Shield!"

Before Tikara's blade could even touch Scootaloo a light pink, octagon shaped shield appeared, bouncing his attack right off. Scootaloo looked around and saw Sweetie Belle a few feet above them, her horn and bell glowing, chiming its beautiful music with each ring. Scootaloo took this opportunity to fly away and let Sweetie Belle take her turn. Tikara glared at the retreating orange pegasus, but shifted his gaze towards the third Valkyrie as she began to slowly descend towards the evil alicorn.

"How much longer must I suffer being interrupted by these fillies turned mare!!?"

"What's wrong, getting angry?"

"Oh I'll show you angry!" Tikara Balak released Umbara; the black sword began to spin around rapidly creating a black magic circle. His horn then began to glow with malice filled dark energy. "DESOLATION WAVE!!!" A beam of dark magic roared from the circle, aiming straight for Sweetie Belle.

Sweetie Belle's bell began to ring, creating yet another melodious song as it glowed with a navy blue light. "Nocturne Neutralizer!"

In front of Sweetie Belle a swirling mass of navy blue plasma energy appeared in front of her. The Desolation Wave hit against the mass, dissolving and breaking down into tiny particles that were being absorbed by the Neutralizer. Tikara Balak cut off the attack and growled in frustration.

"This is for Pumpkin and Pound Cake, and for Mr. and Mrs. Cake! Dirge Destroyer!!" The navy blue mass changed into an orange-red color as the magical bell began to change its tune into something more mellow and sad. The orange-red light hardened and released its energy in a burst stream. The blast bathed Tikara Balak in its power, he tried to create a barrier to lessen the damage he was taking, but it was being splintered apart with every attempt. Tikara had to keep his eyes closed from the harshness of the attack. So when he opened them again he found himself surrounded.

"Heh-heh-heh, you 'Valkyries' are truly working my last nerves, do you honestly believe that –!" Tikara then felt a sudden loss; it took him a few seconds to realize that the connection to Eclipse had been severed. "Impossible!!?"

"No Tikara, it is possible!" At that moment the Ray of Hope faded away, revealing Bright Blade with a golden magic circle in front of him, and his horn shining. "With the power of hope nothing is impossible! LET'S FINISH THIS!!!"

"Ignited Sniper!"

"Rhapsody Rampage!"

"Hammer of Might!"

"Magna Blast!"

Scootaloo fired another series of fire arrows, Sweetie Belle began to unleash bright blue rapid fire magic bolts, Apple Bloom threw her hammer which was now flaring with power, and finally, Bright Blade's beam of golden light roared to life, all four attacks trained on Tikara Balak. The four friend's attacks all hit their mark, exploding with a loud thunderous boom. Excellion disengaged the magic circle and disappeared to its usual hiding place, while Apple Bloom's war-hammer flew back to her undamaged.

Everything was quiet, a trail of smoke started to fall out of the sky where Tikara Balak once floated. It kept going falling further and further away, Bright Blade and the Valkyries weren't ready to breathe a sigh of relief just yet, not until they were certain.

As if to confirm their suspicions the smoke trail burst open, a black aura raged like a an inferno around Tikara Balaks body, his armor scratched and dented, his eyes burning with hate and fury. "DAMN YOU AAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!! I did not escape Tartarus just to have all my years of planning and preparation be undone by a Construct, a dragon, six mares, and three fillies! Very well, I'll just end it all now, forget a rebirth, there will be nothing left when I'm done, Equestria won't even be a memory once I'm done! I CALL UPON THE ELEMENTS OF DARKNESS! HATE, RAGE, CHAOS, PAIN, GREED, PRIDE, AND DESPAIR, COME TO ME NOW!!!"

Heeding the call of their creator the seven Elements of Darkness zoomed up into the air. Once they met with Tikara the seven began to orbit around him, linked together by arcing rays of their own vile power.

"Tikara what are you doing!!!?" Bright Blade shouted.

"You're all about to see the true purpose of the Altar of Calmity!!!" Tikara Balak flared his silver wings, at the same time his aura grew larger, roaring with the combined powers of the Elements of Darkness. Down below, the ruined obelisks of the temple rebuilt themselves, in no time they were standing once more, discharging black lightning wildly in all directions. The Daemoni army started to dissolve into black smoke, all three versions of them transforming into a dark tornado, the howling wind carrying their growls, wild brays, and snarling throughout the battlefield. The black lightning eventually drew in the tornado, changing it into usable dark mana, it then started to concentrate the power into a focused point, the pent up energy released itself in a pillar of dark mana that engulfed the entire Altar of Calamity. The pillar of darkness rose higher into the sky and swallowed Tikara Balak and his Elements.

"Bright Blade what's going on, `cause I don't like where this is going," said Scootaloo.

"Yer not the only one," said Apple Bloom.

"LOOK!" Sweetie Belle yelled.

All four friends watched as the pillar started to grow bigger and bigger. Suddenly two long arms started to reach outwards, along with two long legs that landed on the ground, creating an earthquake as they landed. The pillar finally dispersed, revealing a broad muscular chest, an elongated pony head with a mane made of sharp spines. The Valkyries and Bright Blade stared at this massive being before them, standing at about two thousand plus feet tall, their jaws all dropping in unison. It was made of dark mana, pure dark mana; its glowing yellow eyes looked down upon the land, its eyes could see every tiny detail, even the frightened faces of the army that came all this way to defeat him. The creature squinted its eyes, sending a chill down the spines of all under its gaze, it had no mouth, but all those present could feel it smiling an evil smile. It then raised its arms, and the world became still.

"I AM TIKBALANG, EMBODIMENT OF THE ELEMENTS OF DARKNESS, AND BRINGER OF THE END." Tikbalang's voice boomed, a low tone that made all who heard it shake in fear. "YOUR HOUR OF DEATH HAS COME, BE NO MORE!"

All three Valkyries gulped along with Bright Blade. "Uh Bright Blade, you wouldn't happen to have some super-secret, super powerful, extra special attack or power that you were holding back until now, would you?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"Believe me I wish I did," answered Bright Blade.

"Why Bright Blade, don't tell me you've lost hope already?"

All four friends turned around and saw Twilight floating in the air, not only that but Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Rarity were there too, inside a shining light created by their Elements.

"We haven't lost just yet sugarcube," said Applejack.

"We're still rarin' to go if you are," said Pinkie Pie.

Bright Blade looked at the six before him, and then to the Valkyries who gave him a nudge forward. With a nod he joined the other Elements in the light, which was now beaming almost brighter than the sun. This of course did not go unnoticed by Tikbalang. The being of darkness raised its right hand; energy began to build up at the tips of his pointer and middle fingers.

"Girls we need a few seconds to generate enough power to finish this thing, can you hold out till then," asked Rarity.

"Ah few seconds!?"

"Puhlease, give us some credit will you sis?"

"We can hold out longer than that, just do what you have to do to end this guy once and for all!"

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!" The Valkyries shouted their battle cry as their auras roared with them.

Tikbalang unleashed a beam of pure dark mana at them, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle all rammed the beam together, the powers clashed in the air, sending resounding shockwaves that made the army on the battlefield retreat a safe distance away, well as safe as it can get with something like this going on.

"THE AGE OF EQUINES IS OVER, ACCEPT YOUR FATE NOW AND WELCOME THE ETERNAL BLISS OF NOTHINGNESS!"

"NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!!!" The Valkyries shouted as one.

Tikbalang placed his left hand over his right; the beam became ten times larger and more powerful, pushing the young mares back towards their friends who were still in the middle of concentrating their powers. They weren't about to give up now, not when they were entrusted with this power, and given the chance to fight for the ones they loved, for the world they all lived in! No, the word "quit" was not in their vocabulary, it never was to begin with! The sphere gems on their chests glowed with power, intensifying their attack on the beam. Tikbalang poured more power into the beam but it was a stalemate. Until…

"SOUL ROAR!!!!" The Valkyries three separate auras combined into one singular mass of power that acted as a drill, boring through Tikbalang's beam and destroying it from the inside out! The oversized entity stumbled backwards from the recoil of his attack being cancelled out. It was then that the young mares knew that now was their chance. "GO FOR IT EVERYPONY!!!" They shouted together.

The seven Elements of Harmony had completed charging their powers, and were now unifying them. Their eyes all shined with white light as the helix rainbow shot up high into the sky. The helix rainbow didn't arch down like it did before, this time was different. The two rainbow rays ascended higher with each passing second, they started to spiral, merging into one. The rainbow took the shape of a sword blade that stretched far into the heavens above, glowing with an aurora light all the Elements' colors shifting one after the other.

Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash began to speak as one, "Our hearts are one, our souls ignited...!"

Rarity, Fluttershy, and Twilight then spoke, "Together we shall use this power to banish the darkness…!"

And last was Bright Blade, "Now is the time, we shout as one…!"

"HARMONIC!!!!!!!! RESONANCE!!!!!!!! SLASH!!!!!!!!"

The seven ponies bowed their heads as one, making the giant aurora sword blade fall. The power of the slash started to cut the sky open, revealing the stars hidden behind the blue sky. Tikbalang quickly intercepted the blade, catching it between his palms mere seconds before it hit. The ground around the Altar of Calamity gave way as the impact from the interception bore down on Tikbalang. He struggled, doing everything he could to stop the attack from following through. The Warriors of Harmony poured all their power into this final attack!

-CRACK!-

-CRACK!-

Long fissures of light started to spider web throughout Tikbalang's arms, and with each passing second the cracks multiplied, threatening to buckle under the strain.

"NO THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING, I WAS CHOSEN TO BRING FORTH THE END OF THIS WORLD! FORGIVE ME MY LORD!!!"

Tikbalang's arms finally gave way, snapping like fragile twigs. The blade cut through the top of Tikbalang's head traveling all the way through the gigantic monster, and then cutting through the Altar of Calamity. The giant of darkness fractured and shattered to pieces, each piece exploded as the black temple crumbled below, never to rise again.


Spike, no longer in his full grown dragon form, stood beside Celestia, Luna, and the Valkyries being a fair distance away from the Altar of Calamity, watching as the black temple fell apart, and becoming a mountain of rubble as a giant dust cloud wafted through the air. Ash like snow started to rain down from the spreading cloud, a sign that evil had been defeated.

"They…they did it," said Luna.

"Yes, indeed they did," responded Celestia.

Seven streaks of light pierced the dust cloud and landed near the small group. Twilight, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, and Bright Blade were all okay, each one of them smiling cheerfully. The fight was done, the war was one.

"We won…We won…WE WON!!!" Spike shouted.

As they celebrated the group could hear the echoing roaring cheers of the army being carried on the wind, and getting closer. Rarity had, in a moment of complete happiness, rushed towards Spike and kissed the young drake right on the lips. The others stopped cheering and stared at them surprised. Fluttershy was noticeably blushing, and so were Twilight and Bright Blade, while Pinkie Pie was hopping up and down excited. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle giggled a bit, but Scootaloo showed mock disgust by pretending to gag. After the long kiss was over the two lovers looked around them, to which Rarity gave them an annoyed look.

"What, can't I kiss the one I love," asked Rarity.

"Guess they're still not used to this yet," said Spike.

"Oh yeah, that's definitely going to take some getting used to," confirmed Twilight, she was still having trouble accepting Spike's maturity.

"Well if everypony else is doing it…" Rainbow Dash hooked her right foreleg around Applejack's neck, drawing in for a kiss. At first Applejack was surprised and resisted a bit, but soon she decided to reciprocate and leaned into the kiss as well.

Surprised wouldn't be the right word for how the others felt at that moment, the word stunned seems to fit. And it appeared that everypony there was blushing up to their ears, Fluttershy had retreated behind the bangs of her mane, trying to hide her reddening face. The two mares ended their kiss as they looked lovingly into each other's eyes.

"Dang it Rainbow, ya have ah lousy sense ah timin'," said Applejack.

"Oh my," commented Luna.

"Well that was…that was uh, wow," said Bright Blade.

"Yeah, wow," agreed Spike.

"Yeah, yeah we kissed! We were going to tell you guys, but well, this is how it is! I love Applejack and she loves me, if any of you got a problem with it then say it now!"

"Just ah tad too extreme there sugarcube." Applejack whispered.

"Well it's about time, jeez I thought I was going to have to wait forever before either of you said anything," said Pinkie Pie.

The others seemed to agree with them, each one nodding their head, with an oddly relieved smile on their faces, even the Princesses were in on this. It would seem that Princess Cadance wasn't the only one to notice the tension between the two athletic mares. A fact that only embarrassed Applejack and Rainbow Dash more, eliciting a round of laughter from all, it was then they all heard a thudding plop.

"SCOOTALOO!?" Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle shouted.

It would seem that the poor orange pegasus mare had fainted. The stimulus of watching her idol kissing her best friend's sister had been a bit too much for her to take in.

"Guess she wasn't ready for that, right Bright Blade," asked Twilight. "Bright Blade…?" Twilight looked to her right, but Bright Blade was nowhere to be seen. Twilight started to look around, at the group as a whole; still, there was no Bright Blade. "Guys were did Bright Blade go!?"

"He was right there beside ya, wasn't he," asked Apple Bloom.

"Alright very funny BB, now come on out we've all had enough surprises," said Applejack.

No response.

"Okay this isn't funny B, where are you," said Rainbow Dash.

Twilight was starting to panic; it just couldn't be true could it!? This was something that the two of them feared would happen, but she didn't think it was actually going to happen!

"EVERYPONY WE HAVE TO FIND BRIGHT BLADE NOW!!"

The Elements of Darkness are no more, the Altar of Calamity has fallen, and the Daemoni menace is gone. But where has Bright Blade gone? And is this truly the end of the war…?