• Published 17th Jul 2012
  • 3,357 Views, 170 Comments

War in Equestria: The Tale of Bright Blade - Michael_Ravencroft



An evil long kept secret rises from the depths, threatening war on Equestria, and all hope lies with a young colt...Bright Blade and the Elements of Harmony must work together to defeat an army of demon ponies and save their world from darkness!

  • ...
17
 170
 3,357

Epilogue Part Five

The Knights of Harmony

***One Month Later***

"Ugh, I can't get this clasp thing to hook right," said Bright Blade.

He was looking at himself in mirror, dressed in a blue uniform, with an X shaped sash. Bright Blade was currently trying to hook the other end of the sash so that it could form an X, but was having a little trouble using his telekinesis, probably due to the fact that he was shaking like a leaf.

"Geez Bright Blade, don't be so nervous." Bright Blade turned to the pony next to him, the Royal Guard Captain, and Commander of the Calvary forces at Calamity's Fall, Shining Armor. "It's only a little ceremony, besides we've rehearsed this for a while now." Shining Armor used his telekinesis to take over for Bright Blade, fixing his clasp, and straightening out his sash.

"Yeah, that was rehearsal! As in 'Only certain ponies were going to watch,' now it's all of Canterlot and then some! What happens if I trip in the middle of the ceremony, or I accidentally bust open the palace roof," asked Bright Blade panicked.

"Seriously B, you're not going to trip, and you're not going to bust open the palace roof," assured Shining Armor. At least I hope you won't, I mean, tenth time's the charm, right? "And besides, Twilight's riding with you, so you'll be fine."

"And that's partly the other reason, what if I embarrass her, what if –!"

-Knock!-

-Knock!-

Bright Blade jumped at the knocking, flapping his wings quickly and propelling himself upwards. Shining Armor shook his head and went over to see who was at the door. When he opened it the unicorn stallion was relieved to see somepony who could probably snap Bright Blade out of his nervousness.

"Twily, thank Celestia you're here!"

Twilight was dressed in a beautiful gown, with a purple cape draped around her embroidered with her cutie mark. "What's wrong Shining Armor?" Twilight asked. Her BBBFF pointed to the ceiling as he let her walk in, Twilight gave a slightly annoyed sigh as she saw Bright Blade hanging upside down on the ceiling, flapping his wings quickly to keep himself glued up there. "Oh Bright Blade, what are you doing up there?"

"Oh, you know, just hanging around," the golden alicorn joked.

Shining Armor and Twilight deadpanned upon hearing the lame attempt at a joke. Twilight then used her telekinesis to completely immobilize Bright Blade; she then levitated the young stallion all the way down to ground level. "C'mon Bright, it's almost time for the ceremony to begin. We have to leave now or we'll be late," said Twilight.

"Oh horse apples," sighed Bright Blade.

After a couple of minutes of Bright Blade gathering his courage, the ponies began their trot. The three of them were walking through a hallway, rows of large windows let the warm sunlight in as they passed through them. The entire hall echoed with their hoofsteps, making the already nervous Bright Blade even more nervous.

"Will you relax B, everything's going to turn out great," said Shining Armor.

"Yeah, I know…"

Shining Armor looked to his little sister Twilight, silently asking her what he could do to keep Bright's mind off his current state. It was then that the white unicorn stallion was struck with an idea. "So Bright, how are things going with those three fillies? What were their names…Oh yeah, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle."

Bright Blade seemed to perk up from the change in subject. "They're fine; ever since they discovered their cutie marks they've been hard at work perfecting their talents."

"Uh-huh, sooo, here's my question to you. Which one of them caught your fancy," asked Shining Armor.

At this both Twilight and Bright Blade stopped in their tracks, both with blushing faces. "Excuse me, what!?"

"Well, I know you're a couple of years older than them, you were close to their age at one point. C'mon you can tell me." Shining Armor leaned in close to Bright Blade so that he could whisper into his ear. "Stallion to stallion."

"W-W-Well it's not like I don't like them – I mean they're my best friends – it's just that –!"

"It's just that Bright Blade has to take responsibility," interjected Twilight.

Both Shining Armor and Bright Blade looked at Twilight confused. "Responsibility, for what," asked Shining Armor.

"For stealing my first kiss back at the battle of Calamity's Fall," said Twilight flatly.

"Y-YOU REMEMBER THAT!?"

"Of course, but we can discuss that in detail later. Now let's hurry along, we don't want to be late." Twilight cantered on as both stallions had halted, frozen like statues. The lavender mare only sashayed away, her tail swinging from side to side in a playful way. The whole time she wore a devious smile.

Shining Armor looked down to the young alicorn, who was in the process of trying to say something but could not find the right words to plead his case to the strong, blue maned unicorn. "You. Me. After the ceremony. Serious words to discuss." His tone was stern, apparently not pleased that he had just found out that his little sister had her first kiss, and by Bright Blade of all ponies.

Thank you Twilight, I'm not nervous about the ceremony anymore. Now I'm more worried about what Shining Armor is going to do to me!


***5 Minutes Later***

The horns sounded, the choir sang, and the ceremony began! Confetti was floated down from the many pegasi that flew through the air, the Canterlot citizens lined the sidewalks as they cheered and stamped their hooves in celebration. Just then, from around the corner, came a chariot pulled by two strong Royal Guard stallions. Riding within the chariot was Twilight Sparkle and Bright Blade, the two of them waving their hooves to the roaring crowd of earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasi alike. Some threw confetti from the crowds, others from the shops and buildings nearby.

As the chariot containing Twilight and Bright made its around another corner, a second chariot appeared. Inside was Rarity and Spike, they gave a nod to Twilight and Bright as they rode passed and followed after them.

In the sky two other chariots zoomed low and over the two chariots on the ground, joining the procession. In the first aerial chariot rode Applejack and Rainbow Dash, and the second had Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie. The pony citizens cheered as the full team, the Elements of Harmony, were now all assembled, making their way towards the Canterlot Palace.

Along the way they two other chariots joined them. The first one was sky chariot, inside was the Captain of the Guard, Shining Armor, and his wife, the beautiful alicorn of love, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza or Cadance for short. On the ground, pulling up behind Spike and Rarity's chariot, was the second. Inside this chariot were Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo, each one dressed in a cute little dress. Scootaloo, although not one for frilly things, didn't object to wearing one for this kind of event.

Once all six chariots arrived at the front of the palace, the occupants disembarked and began trotting through the grand halls of the palace. There were just as many ponies inside as there were outside. Hanging from the ceiling were banners, each one displaying the cutie mark of the seven ponies who were now present. A six pointed star, a sword and halo, a rainbow lightning bolt, three red apples, three diamonds, three pink butterflies, and three balloons.

The doors to the grand hall opened slowly inwards, revealing a crowd of finely dressed ponies. Further up ahead were Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, the group of thirteen continued to trot along as the other equines cheered them on. White and red rose petals gently floated down from above, their lovely scent filling the air of the room.

Once all seven of the Elements of Harmony were near the throne they bowed. Spike, Scootaloo, Apple Bloom, and Sweetie Belle separated and stood to their right were. To their left was their family members and friends, Big Macintosh was there, with a giggling baby Clay on his back, along with Granny Smith who was watching the Cake twins. Spitfire and Soarin, along with Ballista and Broadside, were also among the group of family and friends. Shining Armor and Princess Cadance then separated from the Harmony bearers, joining the others.

Once the music had ended, Princess Celestia flared her wings, signaling all assembled to lower their voices. The room quickly fell silent, as all seven of the Elements rose up from their bow. "During the War of Darkness we lost many loved ones, but upon the battlefield we also gained heroes and deeper bonds of friendship and love towards one another! Today I'd like to honor one of those heroes, a warrior and dear friend to myself and my sister, and too these six mares as well." Princess Celestia then nodded towards her little sister Luna.

"Will Bright Blade please step forward," asked Princess Luna. Bright Blade skittishly separated from the group and trotted forward, keeping a two foot distance from the Princesses. "Bright Blade, would you please summon your sword."

Bright Blade gulped, his eyes gazing upwards towards the ceiling. Upon close inspection, although other ponies didn't notice, there was a plaster patch where it appears something fell through, apparently many times judging from the condition. He then turned his head to his friends, Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Rarity, and Fluttershy all gave him a confident nod. Spike, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo also did the same. With a deep sigh Bright Blade put on a strong, yet stern face.

"With strength unmatched I sing this song, that might and magic be as one! Shine your light upon the land! Let evils wrath be undone, mystic sword Excellion!"

At first there was nothing, but then a small orb of white light appeared where the plaster was. The orb shot down to Bright Blade in the form of a lightning bolt. All the gathered ponies gasped; surprised by the phenomenon, but those who knew exactly what this was did not flinch. The lightning bolt stopped between Bright Blade and the Princesses, taking the form of the magical sword, Excellion.

"Your Highnesses, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, I present to you this sword, Excellion," said Bright Blade.

Princess Celestia and Princess Luna laid their horns on the guard of Excellion, closing their eyes as they did. "Excellion, may we?" Princess Celestia asked.

Excellion shined, as if acknowledging the request of the two royal sisters. Celestia and Luna wrapped the sword in their telekinetic auras, raising the ancient weapon up and holding it between them.

"Bright Blade, please bow your head," asked Princess Luna.

As soon as Bright Blade did so, it began. "For bravery in the face of overwhelming odds…"

"For your noble act of self-sacrifice, and dedication to your friends…" said Princess Luna.

"We, the co-rulers of this wondrous land, bestow upon thee, Bright Blade, bearer of the Element of Hope…" The Princesses tapped Bright Blade's left shoulder with Excellion's blade. "…the grand title of Knight!" The Princesses then tapped his right shoulder and raised up Excellion. "Arise, Sir Bright Blade, Knight of Hope!"

The crowd stomped in an applauding fashion, cheering the young alicorn. Princess Celestia and Luna looked to Bright Blade and smiled, to which he returned the smile, knowing what came next he took his place at the right side of Princess Celestia. This of course confused the other six mares, as well as their family and friends, since this wasn't what they had rehearsed.

"Will Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Rarity please step forward and bow your heads," asked Princess Luna.

Nervously, they obeyed, having an inkling of what was about to happen, but not quite sure if they were prepared mentally for what the Princesses were going to say.

"The six mares who stand before us, have saved this land of ours twice, and twice we have recognized and celebrated their heroism! Now it is time we reward such achievements, for here we also bestow to you fine mares the title of Knight!" The Princesses announced. Celestia and Luna used Excellion to tap each of the mares' shoulders in turn, making their title official. "Arise, Dame Twilight, Dame Rarity, Dame Fluttershy, Dame Pinkie Pie, Dame Applejack, and Dame Rainbow Dash. Please join us." The mares, with a jubilant expression on their faces joined Bright Blade, the seven gathered together. "Behold, citizens of Equestria, the Knights of Harmony!"

Again the room erupted into a cacophony of roaring cheers and applauds. Shining Armor gave a wink at Twilight as well as a nod to Bright Blade; Princess Cadance was beaming with happiness at the mare she once sat for. Big Macintosh and Granny Smith were equally as happy, with the old mare wiping a tear from her eye upon seeing her granddaughter receive such an illustrious title, baby Clay giggled and laughed, knocking his hooves together along with Pumpkin and Pound Cake, applauding their respective mothers. But it seemed that the festivities were far from over. Captain Ballista and Major Broadside saluted Rarity and Fluttershy, while Spitfire and Soarin did the same for Rainbow Dash.

"Please, hold your applauds, there are four others that we have yet to thank," said Princess Celestia. "Will Spike, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle, please step forward."

Again a round of confused looks hit the crowd and even the ones honored. The four walked up in the same fashion as the ones before them. They knew that they weren't Elements of Harmony, and although they did fight in the war, they didn't know exactly what the Princesses had in store for them. The Princesses made a motion for the four of them to bow their heads. They all flinched slightly at the sensation of feeling Excellion's blade touch their shoulders.

"Little fillies, your willingness to never give up was what ultimately granted you the power to resurrect hope's light, and aid us in our darkest hour. That is why we'd like to officially recognize you three by your self-bestowed title, the Valkyries, and to you dear Spike, the title of Dragonic Guardian, ambassador to the dragons, and equal protector of the realm!"

The, officially titled, Valkyries and purple dragon's eyes grew wide with amazement; they were now on the same level as the older ponies. Soon the four of them joined the others, standing at Princess Luna's left side. With that Princess Celestia and Princess Luna handed Excellion over to Bright Blade, allowing him take it into his telekinetic grip. "Let this coronation be the hallmark of a new era of peace and happiness in our world," announced Princess Celestia.

"To all creatures great and small, in the oceans and rivers, in forests and ground beneath, and to the skies up above, now and forever this will be our age, the Age of Harmony," proclaimed Princess Luna.

If it were possible for the crowds outside and inside to cheer any louder than they already were, it was done here today. The choir and horns started once again as the Princesses lead the entire team down the path between the crowds; they continued their walk until all of them were outside the palace doors. They waved to the numerous ponies that had gathered outside Canterlot Palace.


***Later That Night***

Twilight was alone on a balcony overlooking the party down below, and admiring the beautiful full moon. Fireworks were going off left and right, painting very colorful images in the night sky. Apparently the unicorns in charge of the fireworks had gotten help, in how to prepare and maximize the effect of such wonderful explosions, from some silver maned unicorn. Unfortunately said unicorn had sadly disappeared before anypony else could ask who she was, but thankfully for them she had left behind some notes and instructions to answer any latent questions.

Twilight was happy upon hearing this news, and wondered when she would see the no-named unicorn. She suddenly heard the approaching hoofsteps of somepony, Twilight turned her head and saw that it was Bright Blade, apparently looking worse for ware, with his head hung low. Twilight was only slightly worried, knowing exactly where the young alicorn stallion had come from.

"Thanks Dame Twilight, you basically threw me under the chariot with that little statement," groaned Bright Blade.

"Well he was going to find out one way or another, and besides, it got your mind off of everything. Did it not, Sir Bright Blade?" Twilight asked playfully.

"Yes, and how was I supposed to know that when everything came back, you meant EVERYTHING!?"

"Well, maybe that will teach you to kiss me and then disappear before I get say anything."

Bright Blade groaned again and trotted to join Twilight in overlooking the festivities below. The wind was cool but not cold, just the right temperature to keep everypony comfortable. The golden alicorn would occasionally glance over to Twilight, her profile made even more beautiful by the flashing lights of the fireworks. Just one more thing he was happy to see again.

"Bright Blade, you okay?" Twilight asked.

Bright quickly snapped out of his hypnosis and regained his composure. "Yeah, I'm fine, I was just thinking."

"Really, about what?"

"Well lots of stuff, the stuff that I missed when I was gone for a year. Rainbow Dash and Applejack raising that colt Clay, together! Big Mac and Fluttershy going out, as coltfriend and fillyfriend! Rarity's fashion designing dreams coming true and Spike helping her out! And Pinkie Pie running Sugar Cube Corner, plus raising Pumpkin and Pound Cake, I really did miss a lot, didn't I?"

"Maybe, but you're back now and you won't miss a thing Bright Blade, you'll be right here, watching everything unfold with me – and everypony else!" Twilight added quickly.

Bright Blade chuckled a bit as he returned his gaze out towards the party grounds below, and to the fireworks still blossoming in the air. It was now Twilight's turn to start glancing over at Bright, although his age was accidentally accelerated two years, he still held the same feeling as when the two of them were on the battlefield long ago.

"Twilight, I've decided something," said Bright Blade.

"What…?"

"I'm going to create a new Corp.!"

"A new Corp., but why, we already have a Brawn, Aerial, and Mage Corp."

"Yeah, but they need to be united, just like we all were when we fought the final battle. It'll incorporate new unit structuring and new battle tactics and strategies; it'll be a force to protect not only Equestria, but other parts of the world, hopefully, eventually," said Bright Blade.

"Wow, sounds like you have it all planned out," said Twilight impressed.

"Maybe, but I'm still going to need to train harder and longer with you and Rainbow Dash, don't want to look like I don't know what I'm doing."

Since they were talking about the future, there was something on Twilight's mind that she needed clarification on. "Bright Blade, do you remember when I cast that 'Reality Window' spell?

He nodded yes.

"All those things you were describing about your ideal mare, you were describing me weren't you?" Bright Blade began to fidget a bit, apparently having been found out. "I won't lie, I was taken aback by what I saw, I was…conflicted. Between what I felt for you when you were in your transformed state, and then how I felt about you in your original form, I have to say, I didn't know what to make of my feelings towards you…"

"Twilight…I'm sorry I didn't know you were…"

"…But…In spite of all that, I've seen exactly the kind of young stallion you are. It took me awhile, but I finally understand now. How much I care about you, how much I…love you," said Twilight, her face blushing a bright red.

Bright Blade was now the one taken aback, he didn't know what Twilight thought of him, and in fact he was sure she saw him as nothing more than just a friend, a little brother. Now, he finally knew, and he was overjoyed to hear this news.

"Twilight I…"

The lavender mare put a hoof to his lips, and smiled lovingly at him. She then brought her forehead close to his, allowing their horns to cross. They both closed their eyes, the whistling and crackling of the fireworks became clearer to them, as well as the breathing of the other. Their horns started to glow with gold and purple auras, swirling together and mixing at the point of contact.

You realize that we can't let this relationship get any more serious than it already is, at least until you're a bit older, thought Twilight.

I don't mind, as long as we're together, thought Bright Blade.

All around the ponies looked up to the sky as the fireworks were reaching the climax, blasting off and canvassing the sky with their radiant colors and shapes made of light. This was the beginning of a new time for all of them, with changes great and small, and a future filled with hope for both the old and new generations.

A brave new world…