• Published 17th Jul 2012
  • 3,357 Views, 170 Comments

War in Equestria: The Tale of Bright Blade - Michael_Ravencroft



An evil long kept secret rises from the depths, threatening war on Equestria, and all hope lies with a young colt...Bright Blade and the Elements of Harmony must work together to defeat an army of demon ponies and save their world from darkness!

  • ...
17
 170
 3,357

Chapter 34

Chapter 34: End of Deception

***Fort Avalon***

Tensions were high in the fort. The sudden departure of Bright Blade had not gone unnoticed, added to that was the daunting fact that the Daemoni had not attacked anywhere else. Not at Fort Valor, Fort Caliburn, or any other fort in Equestria. But, as much as the Elements of Harmony were feeling the loss of their friend, none felt it more than the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

The older ponies had to explain to them what had occurred in the throne room; needless to say they didn't take it well. Still wishing to believe in their friend, they refused to believe what they said, even though any past memories they had of him were lost. The three of them were off in the courtyard, not really doing anything, not much they could do in a fort full of soldiers. One thing this time did allot them to do was think, going over what the older ponies told them.

"Ah still can't believe it," said Apple Bloom.

"Bright Blade's…he's not real," said Scootaloo.

"Not even our memories," added Sweetie Belle.

The three fillies sighed heavily, their world view having been soundly rocked. But there was something that they couldn't shake, a feeling they all had that didn't seem to make sense to them.

"Hey, do y'all feel like…well…that Bright Blade really isn't bad," asked Apple Bloom.

"Actually yeah I do, it's really weird. I mean, after everything they told us, even with our memories gone, I still like Bright Blade," said Scootaloo.

"So you two feel the same way, but why is that? It's like he's – I don't know – not evil? Ugh, I don't know how to put it," said Sweetie Belle frustrated.

"I know what ya mean."

Suddenly the alarms sounded, all the UEA soldiers scrambled about on the battlements, as well as the ones in the courtyard. The Crusaders huddled together and hid behind one of the rose bushes in the courtyard, not knowing what was going on or what was about to happen.

Scootaloo's eyes drifted towards the sky, a golden streak of light shined up above soaring their way. "Guys look!" Scootaloo pointed a hoof up, which prompted her friends to do the same.

The golden light arched itself downwards, leaning down in the direction of the fort. Soon Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Big Macintosh, Major Broadside, Spike, and the Princesses all gathered outside, fully armored and prepared to fight.

The golden light finally landed in the center of the courtyard, a brief gust of wind flowing outwards. The light then started to take the form of a pony, with wings, and a horn. The light faded away and revealed the armored alicorn, Bright Blade.

They were about to run to him, but decided to wait. Bright Blade looked serious and sad at the same time, plus they didn't exactly know what the older ponies were going to do.

"Hey guys, Princesses." The golden alicorn bowed respectively to the two regal sisters, to which they gave a slight bow of their heads towards him.

"Bright Blade," said Princess Celestia.

"Young one," said Princess Luna.

Bright Blade turned to Rainbow Dash, concern in his eyes. "Dash are you alright, after what happened yesterday I…"

"I'm fine B, don't worry I'm tougher than I look," said Rainbow Dash proudly.

"Why have you returned," asked Major Broadside.

Bright Blade sighed before answering. "First off, where's Twilight?"

"And why does thou wish to see Twilight for," asked Princess Luna.

"It's alright Princess Luna…" Everypony looked at the entrance to the keep. In the doorway was Twilight (Chrysalis), leaning against the doorframe, and doing her best to balance on three legs. "I'm here Bright Blade."

"Twilight you should be in bed," said Princess Celestia.

"Sorry Princess, I felt a familiar presence heading towards the fort, I'm fine really…" Twilight began to hobble her way towards the group. When she took her place among them she sighed a bit and looked towards Bright Blade. "Besides…it looks like Bright Blade has something he wants to say, is that right?"

Bright Blade gave a quick nod of the head, and then, through closed eyes, Bright Blade spoke. "I've come to a decision, about what I am, and about what you said I might be." The others listened intently, but were prepared should this conversation go south. "I don't…I don't believe that I was created by Tikara Balak, but neither can I deny the fact that I have no memories of my life before Ponyville. Neither can I deny that you all have lost those memories. If I am a threat, if I really am just an unwitting pawn in Tikara Balak's plans then putting me in jail won't help anypony."

"My dear, what are you proposing we do then," asked Rarity.

Bright Blade raised his head towards the sky, opening his eyes to see the wafting clouds and bright sunlight. "With strength unmatched I sing this song, that might and magic be as one…Shine your light upon the land…Let evil's wrath be undone, mystic sword Excellion…" The ancient sword descended in a flash of white lightning, appearing before the armored alicorn. The others took a defensive stance, not knowing what he was planning.

"Bright Blade what are you doing," asked Fluttershy cautiously.

"Something that will prove to me, and hopefully to you guys, that I'm not working for Tikara Balak! Disarm!" The navy blue armor around Bright Blade's head and neck broke off and disappeared, showing his unarmored face for the first time. All in all he wasn't bad looking. Thank you for heeding my call Excellion, now…show me the truth that I know in my heart!

Bright Blade's horn started to glow; Excellion was now wrapped in the golden telekinetic aura. The magic sword lifted up, and floated its way towards Bright Blade, the tip of the blade resting at the base of his neck. This drew a collective gasp from everpony around, including the Crusaders who were now biting their lower lips, trying to stifle a scream at what they were seeing.

"Bright Blade what are you doing," asked Spike.

"Hold on there partner, let's not do something hasty now," said Big Macintosh.

"This is the only way…Princesses; you told us that Excellion was a sword created to destroy evil. If that is true then Excellion will slay me where I stand!"

"Lieutenant Bright Blade, I would ask you very much to reconsider your course of action! This is, in no way, a solution to the situation at hoof!"

"Sorry Major Broadside, this is the only way I can prove to you, and me, that I'm not Tikara Balak's minion. If I'm evil then Excellion, if there's even a little part of me that is connected to him, will no doubt end my life! But if I'm not then I won't be killed," explained Bright Blade.

"I cannot condone this kind of rationalization! I must insist that you –!"

"PRINCESS!" All eyes fell on Twilight; she took a single step forward, and locked eyes with Bright Blade. "Bright Blade, do you truly believe that this the correct course of action? Do you understand the consequences of what will happen should your hypothesis prove wrong?!"

"I do…"

"Then…we shouldn't interfere."

"WHAT!?" said the group in unison, even the Princesses were shocked by her response.

"Bright Blade I believe in you…" said Twilight (Chrysalis).

"Thank you, Twilight," he said with a smile.

Excellion rose higher and higher into the air, and then stopped at an altitude of fifty feet. The group followed the sword into the air, watching it gleam in the afternoon sunlight. Bright Blade closed his eyes, allowing himself a brief moment to make his peace with his actions. Mixed feelings were abound amongst them, a wanting to stop this from happening, frustration from not figuring out any alternative solutions, none came to mind. The telekinetic aura disappeared, allowing the magic sword to fall straight down. Like an arrow the sword whistled as it cut through the air, aimed directly for Bright Blade.

No!

BB!

I can't watch this!

Bro!

Die, and with that there will be one less obstacle in Lord Tikara's way!

"NO!"

Unable to continue watching and allowing this to happen, Sweetie Belle used her magic to blow away a small section of the rose bush. Scootaloo was the first to rush through the opening, her tiny wings flapping like there was no tomorrow, propelling her through the air and flying at the armored alicorn. The orange pegasus filly plopped her small body on Bright Blade's neck, wrapping her forelegs around as tightly as she could. Next came Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom, pushing through the older ponies, they too jumped on top his neck forcing Bright Blade to fall to the ground.

"APPLE BLOOM," shouted Applejack.

"SWEETIE BELLE," shouted Rarity.

"SCOOTALOO," shouted Rainbow Dash.

WHAT IN THE –! Bright Blade's eyes shot up towards the sky and watched as Excellion continued to descend, at the last second he took hold of the sword using his telekinesis, causing to it veer off course and land harmlessly outside the group. They all breathed a sigh of relief.

Ugh so close, damn stupid fillies, thoughtTwilight (Chrysalis).

"What are you guys doing!? Are you trying to get yourselves killed," shouted Bright Blade.

"Is that supposed ta be a joke," asked Apple Bloom angrily.

"Have you gone crazy, what kind of solution is this," said Sweetie Belle.

"There's no way we're going to let you go through with this! You'll have to kill us too," shouted Scootaloo.

"Little ones that was a foalish thing for you to do," scolded Princess Luna.

"Indeed, why did you put yourselves in such danger," asked Princess Celestia.

All three fillies gave each other quick glances and nodded. "Because Bright Blade's our friend," they said as one.

That statement seemed to have shocked the entire lot of them. "But girls, you've also forgotten all your memories pertaining to him, and yet you're still willing to trust him that much," asked Rarity.

"So what if we can't remember," said Scootaloo.

"What really matters is what we feel; ah still trust Bright Blade, we all do!"

"We won't let you hurt yourself, you're still a Crusader Bright and we stick together till the end," proclaimed Sweetie Belle.

At that moment Bright Blade remembered the words Zecora spoke to him. Memories a are fickle things and are sometimes false, that is why we must give pause...So listen well to these words I impart, for our honest feelings we must look to the heart…

"They're right…" Spike stepped forward, the fillies climbed off of Bright Blade's neck and watched as the purple dragon walked towards them. He extended his claw, to which Bright Blade placed his right hoof in it. Spike then helped Bright Blade back to his hooves and gave him a smile. "Even after what Twilight and the Princesses told us, I still couldn't – no – I didn't want to believe that! We're still brothers Bright Blade, real or not, that's not going to change!"

"And a minion of Tikara Balak wouldn't have stopped to save me from crashing." Rainbow Dash then stepped forward and placed a hoof on Bright Blade's shoulder. "As far as I'm concerned, you're alright."

"Hmm, nice ta know ah ain't the only one feelin' the same way," said Applejack, who now joined RD, Spike, and the Crusaders in the center.

Fluttershy quietly trotted forward, Bright Blade gulped as she silently stared at him. Then, the cream colored pegasus threw her forelegs around his neck and gave him a comforting hug. "I said once before, that you were a nice colt. I meant it then, and I mean it now!" Fluttershy released Bright and stood beside him.

"Bright Blade helped save the Crusaders, including Pumpkin and Pound Cake! Would a meanie-Mcmeanie pants really help anypony!? No, so that means Bright Blade is nice, so there!" Pinkie Pie also joined the group in the center.

"Oh who am I kidding? I've felt just awful ever since what happened yesterday, we shall standby you till the bitter end," said Rarity.

"Well this a big turn of events," commented Major Broadside.

"Eeyup."

"Tia, this is…quite unprecedented," said Princess Luna.

"I know, it would seem you all still feel strongly for Bright Blade," said Princess Celestia. "Twilight, what do you think of this?"

For a moment they all went silent, waiting for Twilight's (Chrysalis's) response. After a short minute she was ready to give her answer. "I think –"

"I THINK YOU NEED TO GET AWAY FROM THEM YOU IMPOSTER!"

Just then a flash of purple light lit up the courtyard. All those who witnessed it gasped when they saw who it was that emerged from the light, garbed in golden armor, a stunning blue cape flapping in the crosswind, and intense amethyst eyes staring fiercely at the group. As much as they couldn't believe it, she was there staring them in the faces, another Twilight Sparkle.

"Whoa, didn't see that one comin'…"

"Nnnope…"

Twilight (Chrysalis) stepped forward and tried to assume a defensive stance. "Chrysalis, how in Equestria did you get past our Anti-Changeling barriers!?"

"Chrysalis, how is that possible!? She shouldn't have been able to cross the barrier," said Princess Celestia.

Twilight had to think of something quick, Queen Chrysalis had already taken the initiative in casting doubt on her. She had to come up with a concrete way of proving that she was the real Twilight Sparkle or her friends would attack her. "Please everypony listen to me, I'm not Chrysalis! Tikara Balak enhanced her powers so that she could become a perfect copy of anypony she wishes!"

"A likely story, but, if that is true then that means you're just as likely to be the Changeling Queen as I am!"

"Then what about this," Twilight gestured to her armor. "The Element of Magic has only one bearer, and I'm the one wielding it!"

Twilight (Chrysalis) edged closer to the real Twilight, giving her a scrutinizing look. "When it comes to Tikara Balak facts like that are meaningless. He was able to fuse Windingo spirits into Gilda the griffon, turn Spike into a rampaging Dark Dragon, and made Trixie stronger! At this point I willing to assume that he can do something to the Elements as well!"

Twilight gauged the reactions of the others; they seemed to agree with the fake Twilight. And why not, her theory was sound, with all the things Tikara Balak was capable of up till now; it's not so farfetched to think that he could do something like that. "Fine then…" Twilight willed her armor to return to tiara form; once it did she levitated the tiara in between the two of them. "Take it; let's see if you're the true bearer."

Twilight (Chrysalis) eyed the tiara suspiciously, but knowing that the Element of Magic wouldn't ever allow her to wear it, had to think of some way to get out of having to dawn the tiara. That's when another idea came to mind. "You think just because you remove your armor and the tiara that I'm going to wear it, for all I know it could be a trap!"

"She does have a point, I'm not an expert in magic, but I can smell a setup a mile away. Problem is I can't tell who's setting up whom," said Major Broadside.

"So then how can we tell them apart," asked Pinkie Pie.

"Allow me to try something." Princess Celestia trotted up to the two Twilights, her horn began to glow, wrapping them both in its shining sun yellow aura. After a minute the two Twilight's auras started to become visible. Both the same purple color, both pulsating at the same rate, Princess Celestia probed deeper still. She scanned their feelings and consciousness, trying to find any trace any hint that either Twilight was lying or fake. Princess Celestia let out a frustrated grunt as she released them from the probe, "I can't find anything to differentiate them."

"Tikara Balak has truly outdone himself this time, either one could be the real Twilight. Should we choose wrong then we'll surely be in danger from the fake," stated Princess Luna.

"I think I have an idea about how to tell them apart." Bright Blade broke away from the group and started to trot up to both Twilights. "Twilight you said that Queen Chrysalis's power was enhanced so that she could become a perfect copy of anypony she wants right?"

"Yes," answered Twilight.

"Then we'll let this decide who's the real Twilight." Bright Blade levitated Excellion towards them, the two Twilights gasped as the magic sword floated past them and next to the golden alicorn. "Excellion will tell us who the real one is."

"Bright Blade are you serious!?" The two Twilights eyed the sword, with just a slight hint of fear.

"Can this really be the best solution here, ah mean what's ta guarantee that Excellion won't just cut the real Twi, good or not," asked Applejack.

"There is none," said Twilight. "But if this it is the only way."

"Can we really be sure about this!? What if – uh – we can't just assume –!"

"If it bothers you that much I will go first 'Twilight,' Bright Blade you may go ahead," said Twilight.

"You sure?"

The real Twilight nodded her head. With a shaky sigh Bright Blade positioned Excellion's blade at the nape of her neck. Twilight shuddered under the cold steel of the sword, knowing what was about happen. Using his telekinesis, Bright Blade lifted Excellion up into striking position. Everyone held their breath, waiting for the deed to be done, and mentally preparing themselves for whatever horrifying sight that was to come. Bright Blade hesitated for a moment, wondering if this really was the right way to find out the truth. But one confident glance from Twilight reassured him; she then closed her eyes and waited for it to be over. Bright Blade swiftly bowed his head, prompting the ancient sword to fall. Like a guillotine, the blade fell down, everypony winced as they watched Excellion's blade slash straight through Twilight's neck. With a collective gasp they were relieved to see the results.

Twilight slowly opened her eyes, and was happy to see that her head was still connected to her body! "I'm…I'm alright!"

"Looks like Excellion lives up to the legend of being an evil slaying sword, it doesn't even cut ponies who aren't evil," said Spike. "But then…that means…"

Twilight (Chrysalis) looked around her, at the increasingly suspicion filled gazes of all assembled. Her heart started to pound in her chest as beads of sweat began to appear on Twilight's (Chrysalis's) brow. "Why are you all looking at me like that!?" She began to back up slowly away from Bright Blade and the real Twilight. "It's – it's a trick! They're in on the whole thing, Bright Blade must've used some sort of spell to make it phase through her!" Nopony was buying it. Twilight's (Chrysalis's) eyes shifted from the real Twilight and Bright Blade, then to the group, and back to Twilight and Bright Blade. "Hmph, well this was a bust!" Twilight (Chrysalis) lowered her supposedly broken right foreleg, just then her horn glowed with an evil green aura. Her horn fired a powerful magic bolt straight at the real Twilight.

Bright Blade grabbed Excellion's hilt with his teeth, and angled the blade to deflect the magic bolt harmlessly into the air. He then dashed for Twilight (Chrysalis) and slashed at a right angle, cutting her from her left shoulder down across her chest. The moment he made contact Twilight's (Chrysalis's) disguise faded away, revealing the Changeling Queen as she screeched in pain. "Nopony's going to hurt Twilight, not while I'm around!"

Green blood oozed from the gash, Chrysalis' eyes were burning with pain and hate. The insectoid creature bared her fangs and hissed at them, showing her obvious disdain for them all. "Ugh, yyyyyooooouuuu, all of you – ow! I'll make you all pay for this!"

Twilight levitated her tiara back to its proper place atop her head, almost immediately the golden armor of the Element of Magic appeared on her body. Bright Blade's face armor also reappeared, making the suit whole once again. "Queen Chrysalis, it's time you answered for your crimes against Equestria!"

The others got into a fighting stance, as well as the Cutie Mark Crusaders. "I'm not going to deal with this!" Chrysalis fired a beam of magical energy at the drawbridge door, making the entire wall and the bridge itself explode. The shockwave and resulting dust cloud gave Chrysalis enough time to fly away, out towards the field.

"Quickly my little ponies, we must pursue Chrysalis! Major Broadside, Lieutenant Big Macintosh, get all the wounded treated immediately and prepare the troops to move out," ordered Princess Celestia.

"Yes ma'am," said the stallions in unison.

Spike wasted no time transforming into his full grown dragon form, green flames lapping off his body, once they dissipated Rarity quickly jumped on his back as the purple dragon's wings grew out. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy flew up and zoomed off after Chrysalis, with the Princesses, Rarity, and Spike in close pursuit.

"Y'all just stay here, we'll be back," said Applejack to the Crusaders.

All three fillies nodded, they knew this was a job for the older ponies, and that this was going to be a dangerous fight. Next Applejack willed a chunk of the ground she was standing on to rise up, the levitating chunk of solid earth acted as a floating platform as Applejack began to fly in the direction of the others. Pinkie Pie summoned her Giga Party Cannon, which hovered in the air. With a wave of her cape Pinkie Pie appeared on top of the cannon flying close to Applejack.

"Ready Twilight," asked Bright Blade.

"Let's do it," said Twilight. "Fugam capietis, Magicum Alis!"

Two spheres of magical energy formed at both Twilight's right and lefts sides. The sphere's burst open in a dazzling display of light, the light then formed two wings made of mana. Twilight traded a sly smile with Bright Blade and at that moment the two of them took flight, leaving the Crusaders, Major Broadside, and Big Macintosh to wait and hope that they would be alright.

Bright Blade has returned, the real Twilight Sparkle has returned! Queen Chrysalis's ruse has been unmasked and now she is on the run, but to where? Will she escape or face justice at the hooves of the ones she has wronged!?