• Published 17th Jul 2012
  • 3,357 Views, 170 Comments

War in Equestria: The Tale of Bright Blade - Michael_Ravencroft



An evil long kept secret rises from the depths, threatening war on Equestria, and all hope lies with a young colt...Bright Blade and the Elements of Harmony must work together to defeat an army of demon ponies and save their world from darkness!

  • ...
17
 170
 3,357

Chapter 15

Chapter 15: To Turn the Tide

“Uh Fluttershy, you alright there sugarcube,” asked Applejack.

For some reason Fluttershy had a serious look on her face, not that they didn’t either, but hers was especially serious. Fluttershy looked to the hydra; the creature had stopped its venom attack, and was now stomping towards them. Then she turned her head to look at Bright Blade, still unconscious. “How dare you hurt him like that, attack my friends, you have no right!” Fluttershy began to trot forward, past Twilight’s shield.

Your kindness is strength shy one…to those whom you care for, let their strength be added to yours

“Fluttershy what are you doing,” asked Rainbow Dash, fearing her longtime friend had lost it.

“Get back behind the shield, are you nuts,” shouted Twilight.

“Somepony should teach you some manners!” The milky blue pearl orbs on Fluttershy’s armor started to glow, releasing a swirling sky blue energy. “And I’m just the pony to do it!” Fluttershy flapped her wings, lifting herself up into the air. The sky blue power then began to form an outline of something. The energy enclosed Fluttershy in a sphere of light once the outline was finished, and in a flash the outline took form. Large sinewy muscle under milky blue energy, long claws on both its front and back paws, a long muzzle with rows of razor sharp teeth, glowing white eyes, and a six pointed star in the middle of its forehead, the light beast let out a mighty roar that shook the ground beneath the five mare’s hooves. They
all stood there in shock and surprise at what they just witnessed.

“Did Fluttershy just turn into a giant Ursa Major,” asked Pinkie Pie. The others just nodded in confirmation, still too stunned to speak. “Alright, just checking.”


Ursa Major/Fluttershy got on all fours and started charging straight at the hydra. The hydra was probably as surprised as the others, because the hydra made no attempt at dodging the bulldozing charge of the cream colored pegasus incased in an Ursa Major avatar shell. The hydra quickly rose up, not happy at the fact it was just royally owned by the timid pegasus. The hydra began to strike at Ursa Major/Fluttershy, each of its head’s shooting forth like a cobra, snapping its jaws, trying to bite at her. Ursa Major/Fluttershy dodged them, impressively, and with little effort. Fluttershy had dealt with all manner of critters in her life, everything from little bunnies, to manticores, even snakes, which were quick and sometimes very irritable, so she was used to dodging their quick fangs and deadly venom whenever she had to care for them. Ursa Major/Fluttershy balled up her paw into a fist, on the seventh strike she brought up her fist and delivered an uppercut to the hydra’s head. She then let loose a series of punches and claw swipes at the hydra heads that tried to bite her, eventually the hydra gave up trying to bite her and started to wrestle with her. The hydra brought up its claws and so did Ursa Major/Fluttershy, the two large entities grappled, digging their hind legs into the ground, neither one giving an inch as the dirt and rock gave way to their weight and strength, roaring in each other’s faces as if trading insults.

“I have no words to describe what I am seeing,” said Twilight, shaking her head back and forth in disbelief.

“Well…okay…I’ll uh, I’ll see what I can do about the airborne Daemoni…excuse me,” Rainbow Dash, with one light flap of her wings, shot up into the sky like a lightning bolt. “WWWWWHHHHHHHOOOOOOOAAAAAA!!!” Rainbow Dash was flying faster than she originally intended, gaining altitude at an almost alarming speed, shutting her eyes tight from the strong G-forces pushing down on her. I can’t stop! I’d never thought I’d say this, but this is WAY too fast!!! Rainbow Dash was afraid that she would zoom into the atmosphere and off into space at the rate she was going.

Be not afraid…you are the master of speed…the guardian of the sky

Rainbow Dash didn’t understand where the mysterious voice was coming from, but it was right about one thing. She is the master of speed, she was speed itself! With her fears elated, and her confidence building, Rainbow Dash flared out her wings stopping her ascent. When she opened her eyes Rainbow Dash gasped. She was floating high above the world, she could see for miles, the wispy white clouds that stretched for miles in different directions. Rainbow Dash was, quite literally, on top of the world. To her it was a beautiful sight; she was so high in the sky that the only thing that was visible was the land masses, oceans and rivers, and large patches of greenery, and off in horizon was Celestia’s bright sun spreading its warm light down on her world. It was then that she noticed her body was in a blue aura the same as her coat. Rainbow Dash knew that at the height that she was at the air was extremely thin, and that she shouldn’t be able to breath. It was then she noticed that the red lightning bolt on her chest was glowing red. So you’re the reason why I’m still alive up here, thought Rainbow. Alright then let’s see what this armor can really do! Rainbow Dash angled herself downward, and with a strong flap of her crystal wings, nosedived.

The land mass below her started to get bigger and bigger, as she descended faster and faster, the wind whistling through her plumed mane excited her. As she got closer she was able make out details, small ant like blots were scurrying around on the ground and in the air. Rainbow Dash willed her crescent blades to extend, and they obeyed. The gleaming golden blades shined as they cut the air around her, the winged Daemoni looked to sky above them as a sparkling rainbow streak was aimed straight at them. Some of the Daemoni broke off from the larger flock and decided to intercept the incoming object. They flew high, five of them in formation, with claws aching to tear into their enemy.

Rainbow Dash lowered her speed, getting ready for her dog fight. With a swipe of her golden crescent she slashed through the neck of the first winged Daemoni. She quickly stopped in midair and zipped around to take out the next four. Each one fell by her blades, Rainbow Dash scared herself a bit, she was so much stronger than she was before, and faster. She bobbed and weaved through the four Daemoni’s assault, their claws missing every time, it was obviously frustrating them as they snarled and brayed. To Rainbow they were moving slower than molasses, their movements easily read. Two of the winged Daemoni were flying at her from two different directions, Rainbow Dash flew up, letting the two demon ponies smash into each other. Rainbow was about to laugh when her wings began to charge with power, they then fired multicolored beams that destroyed the two Daemoni before they knew what hit them. “Now this I like,” said Rainbow Dash with a wicked grin. She focused on her wings, drawing in light. Dash took aim and fired at the remaining Daemoni, the only thing that was heard was their pained growls.

“Oh yeah, who’s next,” shouted Rainbow Dash. She took off into the flock of winged Daemoni blasting any and all Daemoni that came into range. None of them stood a chance against her spectrum barrage.


Applejack, Twilight, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity were on the ground trying to figure at which sight to be more surprised at. The fact that the shyest and most timid of their group had transformed into a giant Ursa Major and was now wrestling with a hydra, or that Rainbow Dash was flying faster than any known pegasus alive and shooting multicolored beams of light from her wings. “So…Flutteshy’s fighting a hydra hoof to claw, or claw to claw, or – whatever! And Rainbow’s taking on a whole mess a flying Daemoni…well buck me!” exclaimed Applejack. She then turned to see that the droves of ground and horned Daemoni where getting closer to them. Well I’m not about to let her have all the fun, she thought. “Pinkie Pie, you and me are gunna have us some fun with them Daemoni!”

“Okie-Doki-Lokie!” responded Pinkie Pie. The pink and orange earth ponies galloped away, charging straight for the horde. Applejack felt oddly excited, the power she felt from the armor; along with seeing what her friends could do, made her feel like there was nothing they could overcome.

You who have tended to the earth, and made it bountiful…the earth will now fight for you…for your strength is boundless, she who can tell no lie

I haven’t the darndest clue what you’re talking about, but somehow it makes sense! The first wave of Daemoni was about to attack her, but Applejack didn’t slow down, she kept charging forward. As soon as she made contact with the first Daemoni the creature was sent flying the other way. Applejack stopped suddenly, realizing what just happened, “What in the hay!” One of the Daemoni tried to force Applejack to ground, but with a swipe of her foreleg Applejack threw the Daemoni into the horde, making them all fall like bowling pins. With a satisfied grin, Applejack began kicking and punching. The power and strength of her attacks was destroying the Daemoni where they stood, and others went flying before disintegrating. Applejack threw herself into the fight smashing, bucking, and punching every one of the demon ponies. A few of the Daemoni started to gallop towards Applejack, fangs bared, ready to eat her soul. Applejack stamped her hoof in frustration, as she did the ground beneath her began to rumble and shake. A fissure formed and started to snake its way to the incoming Daemoni, the ground erupted with rock spikes that impaled the Daemoni as they ran right into them. “Ooooh, so that’s what it meant by the earth will fight fer me, well alright!” Applejack jumped high into the air. When she fell Applejack stretched out her forelegs, as soon as her hooves made contact the ground exploded rippling like waves on the water, dozens of jagged rock spikes jetted from the ground piercing the Daemoni around her and several yards from her. Applejack just strutted through the mayhem, the spikes moving out of her way creating a path, “A gal can get use to this.”

Meanwhile Pinkie Pie was having her own fun with the horned Daemoni. Magical blasts were being flung every which way, all them trying to kill the pink party pony. “Over here!” said Pinkie Pie, appearing from behind one of the demon ponies. The other horned Daemoni turned in the direction and fired, unfortunately the only thing they hit was one of their own. Pinkie Pie would continue this routine for several minutes, appearing to the side or behind the horned ones and disappearing, making them take themselves out. For those who tried a more direct approach were sorely met with no results, as Pinkie Pie’s Pinkie Sense was put into overdrive allowing to predict almost everything that was going to happen.

Laughter is your gift, and now it shall be your weapon…go forth and protect the smiles of everypony

I’m on it mysterious voice in my head! A line of horned Daemoni began to approach Pinkie Pie, glaring at her, dozens of them with their horns glowing with malevolent energy ready to be unleashed. “Hey you wanna see a trick!” The Daemoni traded glances with each other confused as to the pony’s odd request. Pinkie Pie stood on her hind legs and let her cape drape over her right foreleg. “Nothing up my sleeves aaaaannnnnnddddd…” Pinkie swung her foreleg upwards as to show something. All of sudden the fabric of reality took on a wavy effect, as if imitating her cape, and what was revealed made even the Daemoni’s jaws drop. Five huge, gigantic versions of Pinkie’s party cannons, each one pointed at the group of horned Daemoni. The cannons were blue in color and had swirling gold lines at the barrel. “SURPRISE!!!” the opening of the cannons started to spark and glow, the Daemoni let out a whimpering noise as the cannons blasted the horned ones. Thunderous explosions followed by whistling and crackling noises could be heard everywhere, the explosions each changed colors, going from orange, to green, to blue, and purple. At Pinkie Pie’s direction, the Giga Party Cannons started to move into a circle, once in position Pinkie Pie waved her left hoof and yelled, “SURPRISE!!!” Yet again the cannons began to unleash their firework blasts; they rotated like a merry-go-round firing in all directions. Black smoke started to rise into the air, and then fade away.

“I see yer havin’ fun,” said Applejack, as she trotted to her friend.

Pinkie Pie jumped down from the lead cannon that hovered a few feet off the ground, landing lightly on the ground in front her. “Yeah, this armor’s fantastic,” responded Pinkie Pie.

The two friends looked into the distance and there was still a few more left, “Shall we,” asked Applejack, nudging the pink earth pony with her elbow.

“Let’s,” said Pinkie Pie with a wink.

With that the two ponies galloped towards the enemy, side by side, with Pinkie’s cannons following close behind, and Applejacks hooves kicking rocks and boulders up and having them follow close behind her as well.


Twilight watched in the distance as chunks of rock and sediment were being upheaved and tossed around, along with numerous powerful firework explosions. It was a peculiar sight she had to admit, but then again everything she’s seen to this point was peculiar. Twilight had finally got around to helping Ursa Major/Fluttershy, Rarity was still in the middle of healing Bright Blade so she didn’t want to leave her, but luckily one of Rarity’s gems created a green barrier around them allowing Twilight to assist her friend.

The hydra was bleeding from the multiple gashes courtesy of Fluttershy’s new form, the wounds were slowly healing, but not as fast as Twilight had suspected. The hydra had once again taken to its snapping strikes, trying to bite down on Fluttershy’s avatar form. She was getting exhausted, since the Ursa Major avatar’s breathing was slightly labored. I have to do something about those heads, but cutting them wouldn’t do anything! It’ll just grow two more! Suddenly another thought popped into her head, this time Twilight went with it, letting the information fill her mind. “Ligare Argentum Filum!!!” Suddenly Twilight’s horn shined with energy, tiny strands of sliver started to weave together, forming a large silver rope. Twilight willed the string to shoot forth at the hydra; the rope coiled like a snake, and started to tie all ten hydra heads together. In the end the hydra heads looked like a hideous bouquet.

Ursa Major/Fluttershy fell back to Twilight’s position. Twilight looked up at the giant Ursa avatar, into its glowing white eyes, and the Ursa avatar stared back. Twilight can you hear me?

“I-I do, I can hear your thoughts,” said Twilight amazed.

Oh thank goodness, I was worried I wasn’t going to able to talk to any of you, said Fluttershy.

“I was worried that you had turned into something else completely, but I’m glad you’re still you. How are you holding up,” asked Twilight.

Not so good, the hydra’s healing itself, my attacks are slowing it down, but it’s only a matter of time before it gets in a lucky bite. I don’t know what’ll happen to me if this form gets bitten, I might end up like Bright Blade.

Twilight was starting to feel something, her mind was starting to fill with knowledge of a new spell, and Twilight could tell that this one was a doozy. “Fluttershy, can you distract the hydra for a few seconds!?” asked Twilight.

Fluttershy’s avatar head nodded and gave a grunt to confirm. The Ursa avatar turned around then attacked the hydra, its heads still trapped by the silver rope. Twilight tapped into the mana network once again, gathering the magical power. Above them storm clouds began to form, they swirled growing bigger and bigger till the mass was sitting over their area. The dark clouds had strong lightning arcing from inside the clouds. Concentrating more, a sphere of violet light floated up from Twilight’s horn. It rose higher till the sphere was halfway between the clouds and Twilight. All the lightning started to gather at the center of the swirling clouds, and then fired a powerful bolt straight at the sphere. The violet sphere absorbed the power, causing it to change shape. Becoming longer, and growing to a size that matched the hydra, when it was over the sphere had successfully changed into a spear. The outside of the spear was made of electrical energy, while the inner details where glowing with the original violet energy at its core.

Fulgur Forma! Titania Iugulare Framea!” shouted Twilight.

With a flick of her head the spear launched itself toward the hydra. Ursa Major/Fluttershy turned around and disappeared as the spear impaled the hydra, and came out the other side. The silver rope evaporated, letting its ten heads snap in every direction, roaring and hissing in pain from the giant spear. The hydra tried to pull it out, but every time it tried the hydra would burn its claws upon touching it. With a flash from Twilight’s horn the spear exploded into a column of electrical and magical power. The creature let out a horrible wailing sound as its body began to break down and burn away, not even ashes would be left. After a short ten seconds the hydra was completely gone, no trace of it was left behind. Twilight had a heavy heart, something inside her felt bad for destroying the hydra. Twilight looked around for Fluttershy, and soon became worried when she couldn’t spot her friends Ursa avatar. “Fluttershy…! Fluttershy!? FLUTTERSHY!!!” shouted Twilight.

I’m here Twilight, said Fluttershy.

Twilights eyes darted everywhere, she heard her voice but she couldn’t see her. “Fluttershy, I hear you, but where are you!”

A milky blue colored humming bird then appeared in Twilight’s field of vision. The small humming bird then backed up and started to deconstruct itself, from a sphere of light, to a cream colored pegasus in golden armor. Twilight smiled and threw her forelegs around Flutteshy’s neck, hugging her tightly. “I’m sorry Twilight; I only had a moment to change into another form, so I wasn’t able to tell you! Please don’t be mad,” asked Fluttershy.

“Mad, I’m not mad, I’m relieved! I thought that my spell might’ve…” Twilight shook the scenario from her mind, Fluttershy was safe, and that’s what mattered. For some reason Fluttershy looked sad about something, worried, Twilight asked her what was bothering her.

“Um…it’s – it’s nothing, I’ll talk about it later,” said Fluttershy.

Before Twilight could say anything she heard the sounds of tiny hoofsteps coming towards them. She turned around and smiled at the sight. Bright Blade was up and running again, he looked much better from his earlier condition. Beside him was Rarity, escorting the young colt to her friends. “Well it took some work, but I’d say Bright Blade’s good as new, wouldn’t you agree dear,” asked Rarity.

“Yeah, thanks Rarity! I’ll admit I was a bit scared there for a while, but I knew you would save me,” said Bright Blade.

Thank Celestia, thought Twilight. Even amongst all this turmoil her mind was tense with fear at the thought of Bright Blade dying. “I’m glad you’re alright Bright Blade. I think I should take you back to the fort to rest up,” suggested Twilight.

“Twilight c’mon, I can still fight! Plus I just learned something,” said Bright Blade.
“Oh, and what might that be,” she asked.

“This,” Bright Blade’s body flashed with golden light. When it faded Bright Blade had become an alicorn once again, Twilight, Fluttershy, and Rarity were taken aback by this sudden transformation. “Cool huh? I think I can control the transformation now!”

“Looks like we ain’t the only ones who’ve changed,” The four ponies saw Applejack and Pinkie Pie headed their way, having just returned from their blitz attack on the remaining Daemoni forces. A zipping, swooshing sound could be heard overhead, they all looked up and saw Rainbow Dash slowing down to hover a couple of feet above them.

“Bright Blade you’re alright! And you changed again!” said Rainbow Dash excited.

“Come in…Come in Twilight Sparkle, can you hear me,” asked a familiar voice.

Twilight recognized it as Major Broadside’s voice. Twilight immediately tapped the crystal of her Iris Caller, “This is Twilight, go ahead Major Broadside.”

“I don’t know what you did, or what’s going on, but the remaining Daemoni are in total retreat, the battle’s ours! Regroup with us, we’re heading back to Fort Avalon,” said Major Broadside.

The group of friends all let out cheers of joy and triumph! The first battle in the first Equestrian War was won, right here, right now, a glimmer of hope had finally shown itself.


*** Meanwhile, far off in the distance ***

In the sky, far from the battle, a black armored alicorn floated in the air, his gleaming yellow eyes staring at the spectacle happening in the distance. Rainbow lights, lightning, upturned earth, and many disturbances in the magical energy field. It intrigued him...

“Lord Balak…” Tikara turned his head slightly to see who had called to him. A creature with a yellow green shell and insect wings floated up next to Tikara Balak. Her dark cerulean mane wafted in the wind, as her harlequin colored eyes fell upon him. “Our forces are in retreat, what is going on!?” she asked.

“Calm yourself, Queen Chrysalis, I ordered the retreat,” explained Tikara Balak.

“It’s those damned ponies again isn’t it!? Twilight Sparkle and her annoying friends,” hissed Chrysalis.

“You would be correct; it seems that the Elements of Harmony seek to defy me with everything they can muster. I must say this is quite…amusing,” chuckled Tikara Balak.

“What – how can you find this amu –!?”

“We’re leaving, the next move is ours, and the game pieces have changed. We must plan accordingly, my Queen,” Tikara’s blue flame tail swished under Chrysalis’s neck, making any objections she had fade away.

The Queen glanced back at Tikara, shooting him a flirtatious look, “As you wish Lord Balak,” said Chrysalis.

With their newly harnessed powers the Mane 6 were able to defeat the Daemoni army, and subsequently winning the first battle in this long war. But Tikara Balak seems unfazed by the new development, what is his plan, and can the Mane 6 and Bright Blade figure out what’s going on before it’s too late!?