• Published 17th Jul 2012
  • 3,357 Views, 170 Comments

War in Equestria: The Tale of Bright Blade - Michael_Ravencroft



An evil long kept secret rises from the depths, threatening war on Equestria, and all hope lies with a young colt...Bright Blade and the Elements of Harmony must work together to defeat an army of demon ponies and save their world from darkness!

  • ...
17
 170
 3,357

Chapter 32

Chapter 32: Wise Words

***2 years ago – Zecora's hut***

The golden earth pony's head was pounding, his body exhausted. He had no idea where he was, or how he got where he was. The young colt's eyes lazily opened, his gaze drifted from one side to the other. He was in a bed, with an odd cover, it was yellow-gold and had spots on it. The room itself looked like it was made from the inside of a hollow tree, there were also many weird looking masks and ornaments. He also detected the faint mixture of many different scents wafting through the air, not at all unpleasant. The colt was also vaguely aware of three scents that caught his attention. The smell of books, ink, and lavender, a weird combination to say the least, but it was one that he took comfort in. His head drifted towards the cause of the scent, before him was a beautiful unicorn mare. Her amethyst eyes resonated with a sense of great intellect, and gentleness, her purple coat sheened in the candle light, as well as her mane, which had a streak of violet and pink running down it.

"Are you okay, can you hear me," asked the beautiful mare.

"Yes, but my head kinda hurts," said Bright Blade groggily.

"Well, I've done a diagnostic spell to check your vitals, as well as your brain, other than the physical signs of exhaustion I can't find anything else wrong. Can you tell me where your parents are," asked the unicorn mare.

"I…I can't remember…"

"Oh, okay, well where do you live? Do you live in Ponyville?"

"Ponyville…? Where's Ponyville…?"

"Oh dear, can you tell me what you're parent's names are, or if you have any siblings," she asked, becoming increasingly concerned by the young colt's answers, or lack thereof.

The white maned colt only shook his head weakly, apparently unable to answer that question as well.

"Okay, well then what – oh by Celestia please – is your name," asked the unicorn mare, hoping for at least that much.

The young pony colt thought this over for a minute, and it seemed this was a question he did have an answer for. "Bright…Blade…My name is Bright Blade," he said confidently.

"Thank Celestia; at least you remember that much, that's a good sign. It seems that you might have some form of amnesia, Zecora doesn't seem to know what happened to you either, but that would explain why your head hurts. I'll wait here till you're strong enough to walk on your own, and then we'll head to where I live to get you checked out. Would that be alright with you," she asked.

"Y-yeah, I don't mind…But could you tell me your name…?"

"Oh I'm sorry; I completely forgot to introduce myself. My name is Twilight, Twilight Sparkle."


***Present Day – Everfree Forest***

"A fake memory, for a fake pony…"

A day had passed since the news Twilight brought with her was told. Bright Blade was sitting in the middle of a clearing in the Everfree Forest. He knew that there were many dangerous creatures roaming in the shadows of the trees and in the tall bushes where anything could pop out and attack. Bright Blade saw a Timber Wolf or two pass by, eyeing him like he was dinner. It didn't take more than a steely eyed glare and the unsheathing of his short sword to tell them he was not one to, well you get the idea. Bright Blade had decided to punish himself, and chose exile, to live out the rest of his days in the Everfree Forest where, if he was lucky, a big Ursa Major would come along and put him out his misery. At least here I can't hurt my friends…friends…can I even call them that…do I even have the right to? This whole time I've been fighting to protect them, to save our homeland, only to find out I'm fighting against the very one who created me!

Bright Blade had placed his short sword on the ground in front of him where he sat, staring at the blade shimmering in the twilight of the Everfree. The cold steel looked enticing, almost beckoning to him. Just then he heard rustling in the bushes behind him. Bright Blade quickly grabbed the short sword and assumed a defensive stance. "Show yourself," he shouted through clenched teeth.

"Hold your arms, I mean you no harm," said a voice.

Wait a minute! Bright Blade relaxed his stance and waited a moment. From the bushes strode out a zebra carrying two baskets on her sides, but not just any zebra. "Zecora, is that you!?" asked Bright Blade.

"My young friend Bright Blade, what brings you to this glade," asked Zecora.

Bright Blade was happy to actually see another pony, but just as quickly as he was happy to see her Bright Blade soon slipped back into his depression. He turned around, his back now facing the mysterious zebra, and placed his sword down in front of him. "Zecora… You should leave, it's not safe to be around me," he said sadly.

Zecora looked at the adolescent colt with a raised eyebrow, wondering what he meant. "Come now that is not true, within the Everfree the safest place is with you."

"Trust me, just leave me alone, it's better if you go back to your hut!"

With a stern look in her eyes, Zecora trotted over to Bright Blade. She removed her baskets and placed them off to the side, Zecora then sat down on her haunches next to him. "Bright Blade do not think me crude, I could never leave a friend in such a mood! Now tell me young one, why are you sad, what has happened that was so bad?" asked Zecora concern and comfort in her voice.

As much as Bright Blade was worried, as much as he wanted to be alone and sulk in the dim light of the forest. There was just something about Zecora that made you want to open up to her, something sagely that nopony could quite understand. In the end Bright Blade told Zecora the events that had transpired about a day ago, telling her how Twilight supposedly died then came back. And how she gained information that spoke of Bright Blade's origins, she listened intently; all in all the wise zebra seemed to be analyzing, as if trying to discern some hidden truth in his words.

"Now you know Zecora, I was created by the most evil alicorn in Equestria! So now you should leave before you realize that all your memories about me are fake too," urged Bright Blade.

"Hmm-hmm, your situation is dire indeed, so then my little pony my words you must heed." Bright Blade looked up at Zecora; she reached into one of her baskets and pulled something that she cupped in her hoof. It was some sort of blue sparkling dust; Zecora then inhaled deeply and blew on the dust, causing it to swirl around them. "Memories a are fickle things and are sometimes false, that is why we must give pause –" the blue sparkling dust then moved around them, forming some ponies made up of unicorns, pegasi, and earth ponies. They all started to disperse leaving one earth pony all alone. "– So listen well to these words I impart, for our honest feelings we must look to the heart…" The sparkling dust that made up the earth pony soon opened up into a hole in the shape of a heart. Soon the other ponies that had left were now coming back, each one with a heart shaped hole in their centers.

"Wait, so you're saying that memories don't matter, but in mine, and their hearts, I'm real," asked Bright Blade.

"Correct, golden colt."

"That still doesn't matter, even if that is true I'm still a…a Construct. I mean, when you think about it it's really weird for an earth pony to suddenly transform into an armored alicorn for no apparent reason! Tikara Balak created me, and he's an alicorn, makes perfect sense! I should just – OW!"

Zecora whipped Bright Blade in the back of the head with her tail. "How can you say such things, you little dope, you must never lose hope! In the midst of great strife, in this hour of great despair is when hope's light must flare! Bright Blade our friends need you, you cannot worry about such a triviality when you need your family," spoke Zecora.

"Hope…family…" something about those words resounded within Bright Blade, it was the one thing that everypony holds onto, the one thing that kept them all going through the war, amidst all the death and hurt. Bright Blade's mind suddenly flashed back to the day before the duel, when Twilight cast the "Reality Window" spell. The supposed future, with her, a family of his own, with the one he…he…loved! Yes, but not just Twilight! I care about everpony, Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Spike, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, Big Macintosh, Major Broadside, Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna! They're has to be a way I can find out if Twilight's words are true! And I think I have an idea, hopefully. "Zecora, thank you, I owe you one," said Bright Blade.

"Think nothing of it, now hurry and split!" The sagely zebra nudged Bright Blade forward, making him stand on all fours. He re-sheathed his short sword and stood in the center of the clearing. With a flash of golden light Bright Blade transformed, with smile and a nod to Zecora, he took off into the skies and flew off out of sight. Zecora smiled happily, her work was done. She hoisted the baskets on her back and proceeded to head back to her home. But, just then, she sensed a presence.

{I see the boy is on his way, wise advice as always…}

"He only needed a push a spark if you will, but we shall see if his decision is for good or ill," said Zecora.

Zecora then began to trot along through the forest, aware that a ghostly white wisp was floating beside her, as she hummed a tune from her native land. Herself, and the wisp, disappearing into the shadows of the trees, as the echoing of the tune faded into the noises of the Everfree Forest.

Thanks to Zecora, Bright Blade's inner fire has been rekindled! The world groans as the tension mounts, a feeling of great turmoil about to be unleashed! What will Bright Blade's idea bring about!?

The end draws near…