• Published 18th Jul 2017
  • 596 Views, 21 Comments

Crew of the Marblehead - M48 Patton



Hunted by the navies of the world and two of their own missing, the crew of the Marblehead are joined by untrustworthy allies and opposed by powerful foes.

  • ...
0
 21
 596

Chapter 13

Despite Poisoned Beaker's near constant attention and fussing, the Marblehead's engines continued to plague her with problems. Even though she was immune to the ravaging attacks of magic and even rust avoided her like the plague, the beating heart of the Marblehead was beginning to show her age with every new leak and loose bolt that hissed in anger.

Sweat beaded along black unicorn's brow as she struggled to match up a pipe that had need its seals replaced. Her efforts were not helped by the fact that the engine room was well over one-hundred degrees Fahrenheit. While she strained at lifting the pipe with her back, Dead Fire maneuvered the flanged end into position and began to insert the bolts that held it in place.

“Hurry up!” She gasped at the dragon. “Thing's getting heavier by the second!”

“It's stuck!” Dead Fire responded. “The bolts aren't lining up!”

Poisoned Beaker's legs began to quiver under the weight and she was about to call out a warning to Dead Fire when a wooden block was jammed under the unsupported end of the pipe. Drip's black carapace settled next to Poisoned Beaker's torso and instantly the changeling lifted the pipe from her back.

“Huh.” The dragon grunted as he looked at the support. “Probably should have done that to start with.”

Drip chuckled. “I'll never know why you creatures always insist upon doing things the hard way.”

The unicorn to his side lowered herself from underneath the pipe, allowing him to take the full weight, and moved around to where Dead Fire was struggling with his bolts and quickly fitted them into the holes before tightening them.

Wiping off some of the accumulated sweat from beneath her horn, she turned to the changeling and spit.

“Well, what is it you want?”

Drip put a hoof to his chest. “Why Poison, perhaps I just wanted to help in the engine room. Do you really think so little of me that you would ask that question after helping you?”

“Yes.” The mare and the dragon immediately responded.

“You know me all too well.”

“Unfortunately.” The mare grumbled.

Drip tapped the pipe that the three of them had just replaced.

“I need to know how the ship is holding up.” He explained. “We've been through a lot lately, and I need a demonstration tonight. Is she up for it?”

Poisoned Beaker nodded. “Aye. A few issues here and there, but for the most part, nothing out of the ordinary. I was thinking of shutting down boiler three for a look over, however it's not urgent.”

“Good. You think that our guests could take a tour of the engine room?”

“No.” The unicorn replied quickly. “I can keep the Marblehead at full steam however for as long you need, but all it takes is one twist on the wrong valve to blow the bottom out from under us.”

Drip thanked her and left, reverting to his preferred earth pony form as he did. The ship was unusually quiet compared to the normal level of activity that occurred daily. Usually, there were groups of crew either talking to each other or cleaning the ship while Water Rose ran about the ship looking to be useful.

The changeling couldn't help but smile at the thought of the small filly being his stepdaughter now. It filled him with warmth knowing that she and her mother had accepted him into their family. A family which he would protect from any creature.

His smile vanished as he thought of the captains imprisoned in a small compartment on the very same ship as his loved ones. The pirates would come to know the fear that the Marblehead brought with her; whether it was by the ship itself or his careful planning that put that fear in them was their choice. And if, after all was said and done, the pirates still refused to leave the Marblehead in peace, Drip was willing to disobey his captain's orders regarding the safety of others.

“Drip, there ye are!”

The changeling grinned at Trade Breaker, somewhat thankful that his captain could be an oblivious idiot at times.

“Captain, I was just looking for you.”

Trade Breaker grunted. “Aye, sure ye were. Stop sneakin' about and get over here!”

Drip trotted over to his captain and saluted. “Reporting sir. How can I be of assistance?”

“Ye can—” Trade Breaker started but was interrupted by a door in the passageway opening.

“Cap'n, Ah've looked all o'er da ship, Ah cannae fin' the bug anywheres.” Storm Stalker grumbled as she stepped inside.

“What can I help you with?” Drip innocently asked when Storm Stalker caught sight of him.

“Why yew lit'le snake in da grass!” The mare yelled in his face. “Dew yew realize 'ow lang Ah've been searchin' fer yew!”

The disguised changeling's cheeky grin nearly pushed Storm over the edge and she drew a back her hoof to lay the changeling out.

“Storm!” The captain barked. “At least wait until he tells us what he is planning before kicking him fours ways to the north!”

“Aye Cap'n.” Storm spat, letting her hoof fall and backing away from Drip.

Drip nodded his thanks to Trade Breaker and cleared his throat.

“Judging by your previous remark captain, I assume you would like to know the full details of my plans for our honored guests?”

“Aye, why did ye stop us from throwin' 'em over wit' the rest o' their crews?” Trade Breaker asked.

“Because that would not have stopped them.” Drip said calmly. “Especially your father, Storm Stalker. That stallion will pursue us until the ends of the world.”

Storm Stalker shook her head. “Nae, yew 'ave it wrong. Ah can keep 'im away, if'n Ah talk tae 'im.”

“Like you did in your letters?” Drip accused.

Storm bit back her angry retort and drew in a large breath through her nose before letting out through her mouth.

“Ah admit, Da can be a lit'le bit imp'pulsive. 'E 'as a 'ard time listenin', bu' 'e loves me an' Ah'll be able tae talk tae 'im.” The mare said slowly.

Drip would have rolled his eyes had he the ability. “Storm, your dad just brought together six of the most well known and feared pirate legends in the Eastern Sea, sailed through a deadly storm to land at Ghost Island and tried to take over the most infamous ship in history. I hardly doubt he's going to just walk away if you give him some puppy eyes and say please.”

Storm opened her mouth to respond, but finding no words forthcoming promptly shut it again.

Trade Breaker was quick to interject on the silence.

“Well then!” He snapped. “What plan have ye that ye think can drive away such a monster of a father?”

The changeling looked at Trade Breaker with a wide smile.

“We turn you into a legend that even Storm Killer will be impressed by.”

“Eh?”

“It's simple.” Drip explained as if stating an everyday fact. “From what I've seen of Storm Killer's actions, he's just worried about the safety of his daughter. So, we tell him that she's serving on a ship that can never be sunk under a captain that can never be defeated.”

Trade Breaker raised an eyebrow. “One of those is quite manageable, the other is not.”

“Have a little faith, dear captain.” Drip patted him on the shoulder. “Give me a few hours and I'll make you into the best pirate they've seen.”


“Dinner?” Storm Stalker asked, her tone dripping with contempt. “Yew're big plan tae fool mah Da, an' e'eryone else, is tae invite 'em tae dinner?”

“Brilliant, no?” Drip asked knowing full well what the answer would be.

“Nae.” Storm Stalker answered. “Ah t'ink eh't be tha dumbes' plan Ah've e'er 'eard.”

Meanwhile, Drip was ignoring her and helping set up a small room to act as the captains personal dining area. A table was already in the room and there was actual wood paneling that occupied two of the bulkheads. A set of cabinets were quickly filled with whatever wines that Culinary Beak had stashed away and a silk table cloth stolen from an unfortunate merchant vessel was laid out by Sun Flowers.

“My dear Storm, the brilliant aspect of the plan lies in its simplicity.” Drip laughed as he set out silverware with his wife. “Our dear captain is a hopeless klutz with a sword and he'll sooner surrender than see a life taken.”

“Aye, wot's tha' got tae dew wit' dinner?”

“Because for all his faults, Trade Breaker is at the very least a gracious host. What better way show off his power and cunning than to be waited on hoof and mane by the fearsome crew of the Golden Curse and a few exotic monsters.”

Storm Stalker nodded uncertainly. “Aye, Ah coul' see 'ow tha' might appear impressive, bu' Ah don' think tha'll scare mah da' away.”

“Of course not, but it will plant a seed in their minds that Trade Breaker is a powerful being. Throw in some stories mixed in with a little truth here and there followed by some demonstrations by the ship. Top it off by sailing right past that Griffon fleet into Mare's Point to drop off your father and the rest his crew.” Drip frowned. “I admit, it's not a perfect plan, but short of gutting every last one of the other captains in front of your father, I fail to see how we could make a larger impact.”

Storm considered this for a moment, the pegasus thinking her options over.

“Wha' if we. . . told 'em never tae come back?” She finally offered lamely.

Drip succumbed to the urge to smack himself on the forehead with his own hoof and sighed.

“Storm, do you honestly believe that would work?”

“Eh.” The mare shrugged. “Nae, nae creature coul' tell mah da' wha' tae dew.”

Drip chuckled. “There's an old saying from the hive: 'Never tell a pony what to do; just tell them what they need to know.'”

Sun Flowers walked up and slapped Drip on the back of the head. The changeling was genuinely surprised by the action and looked back at her in confusion.

She fixed him with a glare and spoke. “Just reminding you of what you married!”

Drip chuckled in embarrassment. “Don't be like that honey, I would never try to trick you!”

The changeling wilted from the look he received and slunk to his wife's hooves, looking up at her like a dog seeking forgiveness. He even stuck out his lower lip and whimpered.

“None of that, dear husband of mine.” The mare snapped. “Culinary needs help in the kitchen and I don't have time to bother with your games.”

Drip's feigned submission instantly vanished and he hopped to his hooves and kissed Sun Flowers on the lips.

“Quite right, honey bun!” He laughed. “After all, it's nearly time for dinner.”

Author's Note:

Short chapter, sorry for the wait. Feedback is always appreciated.

Comments ( 1 )

That's quite a plan Drip has. Hope it works...

Login or register to comment