• Published 11th May 2017
  • 10,315 Views, 507 Comments

Friendship Bling and Changing Things - PinkFluffyAlex



During her brother's surprise wedding, Twilight meets a demon from her past that overturns the lives of everypony around her, and threatens to tear apart their friendships. Meanwhile, Twilight's enemies, old and new, close in as her spirit fails.

  • ...
37
 507
 10,315

2 - V - The Part Where Things Go Wrong

Part Two: Recollection
Chapter V - The Part Where Things Go Wrong

===<Regina Petram, 982 Celestia’s Reign>===

“All in favor of Queen Unica retracting 8% of her changelings from the Bastian Collective, in order for Queen Miasma to expand her harvester population in Lynxis, signal as such.” The speaker for the session, Queen Myxine’s Royal Matcria, counted the horns that lit up in favor of the proposition. “All against, signal as such.” A few horns lit up, Unica’s included. Matcria counted the totals, then nodded. “Six in favor, five against. Queen Unica will do as discussed within a month of this Summit’s end.”

Unica thumped a hoof against the roundtable and took a deep sigh, causing the Queens beside her, Posidala and Daphne, to glance at her. Miasma chuckled as Unica’s antenna lit, sending the message to her Royals to order the least productive harvesters out of Baltimare.

Matcria looked at the next Queen on the roundtable, and waved a hoof towards her. “Queen Citlali of the Whitetail hive, present any claims or requests to the Summit.”

Citlali stood and spoke in a low, and clear voice. “One of my Royals, Pollux, was killed while following a sleeper to Appleoosa. Normally, I would mourn his death, then crown another Royal to replace him. Normally. But before he passed, he sent back a message saying that a group of changelings were trailing him, and threatening him. I just want to know who did it, and why.”

The room was silent as they all looked between each other, wondering who the assailant could be. Chrysalis raised a hoof. “How are you sure that a changeling was the cause of his death? For all we know, the ponies could have discovered, and slain him. I mean, this isn’t the first time one of your Royals failed in their duties.”

Citlali took a breath. “Amaryllis did not fail. She was among the changelings of Transitalia’s hive when they were destroyed, trading a supply of emorphic gel that Transitalia requested. Pollux was the best infiltrator of my hive, possibly better than myself, odds are another hive had him killed. Who was it?”

Matcria lit her horn and sent a dark blue wave rippling through the Queens. “High Queen Metamorphia commands the Queen responsible for this action to stand, and explain themselves.”

The Queens watched with mixed emotions as Chrysalis gasped, and slowly stood. Her body was stiff, and had a faint sapphire glow surrounding it. “I ordered my changelings to slay Queen Citlali’s Royal.” She grit her teeth, before groaning, and speaking in a strained manner. “He entered my territory… Refused to leave peacefully… He— he died with little effort.”

The spell on Chrysalis released itself, causing her to collapse to the floor. The Queen slowly stood back up, using the table as a support. She began laughing. “It was like stomping on an ant! He was a pathetic changeling, just like his mother! Your hive is disgusting: weak, sloppy, unable to harvest properly. It’s no wonder your ancestors lived short lives.”

Citlali stood, slammed a hoof into Chrysalis’ muzzle, and dove at her with a charged horn. Matcria lit her horn in response, and froze the two Queens. “That is enough! I will not tolerate a petty fight in this room. If you cannot be bothered to say something relevant to the Summit, Chrysalis, then hold your tongue and be silent! Because of your outburst, I would say that you have had plenty of time to speak today, so we will move onwards to Queen Phosphora of the Palomino Hive.”

Matcria moved the two Queens back into their seats, and placed a shield between them. The Queens still stared at each other through the barrier, hardly listening to Queen Phosphora as she requested help dealing with a sandworm. Chrysalis ran a hoof across her muzzle, spreading teal ichor away from a crack in her chitin. She gave Citlali a toothy grin, before turning towards the center of the table.


Citlali walked through the burning Autumn light of the Whitetail Woods, after the week's travel from the Summit. While she chided herself for her embarrassing actions, she did not repent. Her kick was justified, though she should have gone for the throat, not the muzzle. Killing Chrysalis would have… no. The Badlands Hive killed Queens, not the Whitetail Hive. Besides, Chrysalis still had a Royal. Killing Chrysalis would do nothing but inconvenience her hive.

Citlali felt something itch in the back of her head, causing her to pause. Something had brushed against her mind, albeit briefly. It was gone as suddenly as it had come. The Queen looked around, then ebbed into her egregore. “Estelle, when was the last time you contacted myself or another Royal from our hive? Forgive the odd question, but I’m just feeling a little… paranoid at the moment. Humor me.”

Estelle touched Citlali’s mind, and began to speak. “Pollux contacted me a few hours ago, asked me to access the files on all sleeper drones in the field. Why, is something wrong?

Citlali cursed, dove into a summoned portal, and emerged next to Estelle, who jumped in surprise at the noise. She turned her milky-white and lavender eyes towards Citlali’s general direction, and stared at the air. Citlali spoke quickly but steadily. “Whatever contacted you wasn’t Pollux, because I lost his connection when I was traveling to the summit. Chrysalis admitted to killing her, but she might have kept the body.”

Estelle blinked and frowned. “Pollux is dead? But… it was his mind that I felt, I’m sure of it. I still feel it there.”

Citlali reached into her egregore again, and felt Pollux’s mind touch hers. She pulled out immediately, and gagged. “A puppet. Chrysalis is using him as a puppet. What exact information did you give to Pollux when he asked? I need to know, Chrysalis might use that information to—”

Citlali gasped, and fell to the floor as a massive wave of psychic messages roared through the egregore. A drop of ichor fell onto Citlali’s hoof, which she used to feel her antenna. One of the glowing orbs had burst from the strain. Estelle had fared no better. Ichor dripped from her antenna, and from her muzzle. They both took heavy breaths, and slowly felt the egregore.

A large mass of the minds within were gone, all snuffed out in an instant. Citlali guessed they were in Canterlot, judging by the distance and direction. “Estelle, get the soldiers, guard all entrances to the Hive! I know Chrysalis’ tactics: she never sends her army in first. It’s like that game the ponies are so fond of, chess. She takes out the pawns, then she goes for the Queen.”

Estelle bowed to Citlali, then bounded down a hall lit by yellow light, emitting a series of high-pitch squeaks as she did so. Citlali’s headache and cries worsened as another round of sleepers were destroyed, all the way in Applewood. She moaned from her physical and emotional pain, but sent a message to her remaining drones in Ponyville. “If you can hear this, sever yourself from the egregore immediately, and return to the Hive! If you are pony, and you are hearing this…” She paused, not quite sure what to say. “I’m sorry.”

She felt a wave of changelings leave her egregore, then felt a wave pass away.

Citlali stood in shock as she felt the last remnants of her connections to the outside fade. She stepped backwards, shaking her head. “I’m sorry.” A few tears fell from her eyes. “I’m sorry.” Citlali fell into the wall behind her, and slid to the floor, shaking her head slowly.

Whitetail’s ties to the outside world were gone. They had no harvesters, no sleepers, no way to contact the other Queens. Chrysalis had boxed them in in only a few minutes.

No. A spark ignited within Citlali, burning up her grief, her pain, and her fear, creating an inferno of fury. She pushed herself off the ground, and made her way towards the Atrium, giving instructions to her hive on the way.

Whitetail Hive would not fall, not while she was it’s Queen.

===<Hours Later>===

Citlali watched as the ceiling above her fell to the floor, revealing a teal drone firing magic into a lavender drone. With a flick of her horn, the teal drone’s neck chitin shattered, and ichor sprayed into the air. She looked over her drone, and found no thoughts coming from it.

Citlali took the two drones’ energy, and continued on. Chrysalis had begun to storm Whitetail, and was located in the emorphic gel reserves.

Citlali’s right foreleg was shattered, exposing the sensitive flesh underneath, her left wing was missing, due to a drone hooking onto it as he was flung away, and her breath was slow and unsteady.

The most that the Whitetail Queen could do was make simple fire portals to the nearest rooms, and shamble towards her target. Nothing else was important. Architecture could be reconstructed, food could be recreated, but lives were finite. So long as Chrysalis lived, others would die.

Citlali stepped into the reserves, leaning against a doorway. In the midst of burning gel and shattered bodies stood Chrysalis, slowly crushing a changeling’s neck underfoot. As Citlali shouted at Chrysalis, the Teal Queen pushed a little harder and killed the drone.

“What have we learned today, Citlali?” Chrysalis turned towards the broken Queen shambling towards her.

“I will kill you!” Citlali spat as she fell to the ground, immediately pushing herself back up.

“No. We have learned to keep your filth away from my children. Hopefully this will be a lesson to the other Queens, a reminder of where their loyalties should rest.” Chrysalis’ horn lit up, carrying Citlali into the air. “I have waited a long time for your line to be broken. I just needed a spark to prove to the others that you aren’t worth anything. Goodbye, Citlali.”

Citlali screamed as Chrysalis pulled her antenna from her head, threw her through a wall, and stomped on her chest. She sputtered for a moment, struggling as Chrysalis took her emotions away. Cold settled in as Citlali leaned her head back and fell still.

An hour later, her eyes shot open once more. Citlali gasped in pain, coughed up ichor, and slowly stood. She felt something fall off of her, so she looked to her side. The small body of Estelle lay on the floor, still and lifeless. As Citlali inspected her royal’s body, she was perplexed. There were no fatal wounds, or any sign of violent death. Citlali felt the emotions in herself, and realized that her last Royal died to save her.

Citlali wanted to be angry at Estelle for saving her Queen when she could have escaped and ascended on her own. But she couldn’t be angry. She instead took her child’s head, kissed it, and whispered a prayer to the All-Mother to keep her dear daughter safe. When she pulled away, there were two wet spots in Estelle’s mane.

A loud rumbling sound caused Citlali to stand and inspect her surroundings. The hive was collapsing. Great chunks of the ceiling were falling down, crushing bodies, gel, furniture, and more. With a cry, Citlali began running as fast as her somewhat-healed body could take her towards the nursery.

The Queen arrived just in time to stop the ceiling from collapsing. She screamed out as her magic reserves waned, and failed, dropping the outer edges of the ceiling on eggs and nymphs. With a pained but determined cry, she picked up as many eggs and nymphs as she could hold, held them outside the room, and lost the battle with the ceiling. Crunches were heard as cries were silenced.

Citlali took the eight eggs and five nymphs and ran to the closest exit. She was struck multiple times by falling debris, but her magic kept her children safe. She tripped on many bodies, but her children never touched the floor. It wasn’t until she emerged into the night air, weak and distraught, that she laid them on the grass.

Fourteen. Fourteen changelings were all that were left of her hive. Citlali pulled her children close, turned her head to the sky, and screamed. She screamed the agony and anger of a bereaved mother until her voice gave out.

===<Canterlot Castle, 2 Princesses’ Reign>===

They all sat in silence as Citlali shook with silent tears. Spike’s head was bowed and his eyes shut. Fluttershy was crying alongside Rarity, Pinkie’s mane was flat, Applejack held her hat to her chest, Rainbow hand landed and begun staring at the floor. Vahan stared at Citlali in pity and Satomi was shaking her head.

Citlali took a breath and calmed herself. “I believe Citlali died that day. I haven’t been the same since. When I chose my new life as Twilight Sparkle, I truly was born again as a new pony. That, of course, leads us to the next part of my--” She paused and held up a hoof.

A very faint groan was heard in the room, coming from the two changeling guards. Citlali walked over to them, nudged them both with a hoof, and watched as they slowly came to. One of them, a unicorn, looked up at Citlali with a wide smile. “Hello, sweetie. I don’t think we’ve ever met before. I speak for Queen Aphrodasia of the Canterlot Hive. She is very frustrated with you, Citlali, for siding with ponies.”

The other changeling stood, a pegasus this time. “Our Queen thinks you’ve gone soft. That you care for the ones that murdered your closest friend, your ancestors, and doomed your hive to this lowly state.”

The unicorn stood in front of a window, the setting sun just behind him. “But that isn’t what is happening, right? Queen Aphrodasia wants you to confirm who’s side you are on. I would hope to see you with me.”

The two spoke at once. “Think about it.” They dropped their disguises in a flash of pink fire and leapt backwards, through the window. Citlali cursed and looked over the edge. They were already gone, disguised as some small creature on the side of the mountain.

Citlali sighed and stepped back from the window. She was breathing heavily. Vahan was the first to speak. “Twi-- Cit-- Twilight? Who was that, what did they mean?”

“Canterlot Hive. Dangerous, clever, connected, and manipulative. They decided to carve their hive into the Canterhorn, only a year after Canterlot Palace was finished. If that doesn’t tell you anything, I’m not sure what will. This new Queen, Aphrodasia, wants me to reject pony kind like Chrysalis has. Attack them for what they’ve done.”

Citlali turned to face the others. “But I’ve learned that ponies are just as caring as... some changelings. We shouldn’t fight over a few misunderstandings, as costly as they may have been. It is Chrysalis’ fault my hive fell, nopony else.”

The others nodded in agreement. Pinkie gasped. “Oh my gosh, you know what this means? Every one of us gets to have a ‘species reveal party!’ I’ve never thrown a species reveal party, I don’t know what kind of games you would bring. Pin the antenna on the Queen?” She put a hoof to her chin in thought.

Citlali seemed to consider the question for a moment, then addressed the group again. “While I would love to continue my story, I don’t think that we’re quite safe here anymore. When it comes to changelings, the walls may very well have eyes and ears. Spike, take the girls and Satomi, and return to Nepthysis. Vahan, I need to speak my soon-to-be daughter-in-law, and I want you in the room when I do.”

Spike saluted, shifted into his dragon disguise, and began leading his group away, talking to them as they walked. Vahan made the connection, then nodded. “What am I going to say to her? What are we going to say to... everypony? I mean, the security issues this brings up are... astronomical. Who’s to say that this... Chrysalis won’t return and replace more than just Cadence?”

Citlali nodded. “I’ve already had an extensive talk with Cadence on this subject, back when I was in the caves. She, for the most part, was fine with me being... me. Don’t worry about yourself: Cadence loves you greatly. That love was able to power a healing spell that saved my life.”

Vahan nodded as Citlali moved towards the doors, shifting into a new pony. She had the blue and purple mane of Twilight Sparkle, but with a chitin-colored coat, darker purple eyes, and a longer horn. Her cutie mark was Twilight’s starburst, but without the white sparkles, and a more symmetrical design.

When she caught Vahan eyeing the mark, she shrugged. “It always bothered my that my cutie mark was asymetrical. Now that I can be myself again, I fixed it.”

“Even as a changeling Queen, you’re still the Twilight Sparkle I know.” Vahan chuckled. “At least some things are still the same.” Citlali pulled the doors open, but Vahan stayed back. “I... uh. I’m not sure how to change.”

Citlali quickly gave him a lesson on shifting, then walked through the doors. ‘Cavern Star’ and Shining Armor left the room and began making their way to the Princesses.

===<Spike, Satomi, the Bearers>===

“While I would love to continue my story, I don’t think that we’re quite safe here anymore. When it comes to changelings, the walls may very well have eyes and ears. Spike, take the girls and Satomi, and return to Nepthysis. Vahan, I need to speak my soon-to-be daughter-in-law, and I want you in the room when I do.”

Spike saluted his Queen, shifted into his dragon self, and motioned for his group to follow. Satomi shifted into a generic guard once more. “You guys are going to love Nepthysis and her hive. Especially you, Rarity. It’s built in a place that allows water to flow down the center, into a pool below. The floors are made of mosaics, and it all glows a silvery blue when the sun sets.”

Rarity gave a small smile. “Sounds lovely. I must ask, however, why can’t we accompany Twi... Citlali and Vahan? I do believe we are going to have to talk to the Princesses sooner than later, now seems as good a time as any.”

Spike sighed. “Celestia and Luna really don’t like our hive’s methods. I don’t exactly appreciate them either. If she found out that not just one, not two, but eight members of the Whitetail Hive have been sleeping right under her muzzle, she would be furious.”

Applejack looked at Spike as they turned into a long hall. “What does that mean, sleepin’?”

“A sleeper drone is a changeling that doesn’t know it’s a changeling. This way, it can collect emotional energy without ever failing in its disguise, because it is its disguise. Every so often, harvester changelings go by to collect the excess energy from the sleepers, which only makes them tired for a short while. It allows for a perfect disguise, with full harvesting efficiency.”

Applejack nodded.”It allows a changeling to be honest, while still helpin’ the hive. Why would Princess Celestia be ‘furious’, though? Isn’t that better than a changeling posin’ as somepony they aren’t?”

Spike shook his head. “Not in their eyes. As you probably know, discovering that you aren’t a pony can be traumatic. Just before Luna was banished, a sleeper’s disguise dropped. He panicked and reached the Princesses before we could calm him down. Because of this, Celestia and Luna conducted a thorough investigation of the nearby cities.

“When they discovered more sleepers, they came to the conclusion that ponies were turning into changelings. This caused them to attempt to search for the hive, in order to stop them from converting the entire population. However, the Queen of Whitetail at the time, Aysune, saw this as a declaration of war.

“She took control of Celestia’s student and Luna’s lover, a sleeper named Chemical Catalyst, and tried to assassinate the younger sister. They were forced to kill Catalyst. Once they found the location of the hive, or so they thought, they attacked. They killed thousands of changelings, including Queen Aysune, and gave the other sleepers time with therapists."

Spike shrugged. “A royal named Elowen was crowned the new Queen, and the hive began rebuilding itself. A couple hundred years later, Citlali is born. A few more hundered years later, Elowen dies from sickness, and passes the crown to Citlali. Ever since that war, Whitetail hive has stopped depending on sleepers.” He glanced at the group. “Until recently, of course.”

They were quiet as they followed Spike. They finally reached the outer doors of the Palace and walked into the lamp-lit streets of Canterlot. Spike looked around the city. “Alright. Rainbow Dash, fly as fast as you can to Neighagra Falls, there’s a friendly hive there. Stand on top of the observation platform, and imagine yourself as a changeling.” Spike tapped into the egregore. ”I’ll talk to you then.”

Rainbow stiffened, glanced around at the others, then nodded with a salute. “Can do. Time to see what Twilight’s bug friends are like!” She leapt into the air and bolted to the north-east.

“The rest of you, follow me. A changeling has clearly been trying to talk to me ever since I returned to get you guys, and I want to meet them. After that, we’ll go to Neighagra ourselves and sleep for the night. I’m sorry this has been so crazy, I wanted to have a much calmer conversation between you, the sisters, and Citlali about this. If not for Chrysalis’ attack, Celestia might have been willing to hear us out.”

The other members of the group nodded, clearly worn out from the chaos of the past two days.