• Published 8th Jul 2012
  • 8,169 Views, 1,040 Comments

King of Diamonds - Midnightshadow

  • ...
20
 1,040
 8,169

Skidoo

♠♣♥ King of
Diamonds
The Ambassador's Son - Book 2
════════════════════

Chapter 23
Skidoo
An MLP:FiM Fanfiction by Midnight Shadow


♠♣♥

The stars. That's what he would always remember the most. The details of the sights he saw might someday fade, their power and majesty diminish, but not the simple glory of the stars.

An endless brilliance of shining pin-pricks shone across the dark velvet perfection of the great deeps. A myriad of twinkling lights, hanging upon the firmament, spread their warmth across the cold expanse. With claws that could reach from one end of infinity to the other, the motes of light and life were gathered and spread upon the barren rock of the ground like seeds. They took root and sprouted, reaching forever upwards until, with a fiery explosion of cosmic dust, they disgorged the fruits of their labours and shrivelled up, floating away on the wind. With an unshakeable certainty of purpose, Quetzalcoatl called forth cosmic beings and bid them make shape of the void. Light was separated from dark, water from ground, air from fire, and then recombined in a tempestuous maelstrom of creation. From chaos, a grand pattern swept forth, transmuting the elements of creation and forging life from lifelessness.

After aeons of contemplation, the awareness of the emperor of all dragons settled across the land, imbuing it with his own pride and majesty. He breathed quintessence into the very fabric of reality, setting it aflame. From bare rock sprouted mosses and ferns, bushes and trees, grasses and flowers. Spun from naught but dust and the light of stars, he fashioned the creatures that swam in the oceans, flew in the skies, burrowed through the grounds, or walked upon the face of his realm. And where he breathed flowed the wind. Where the sun and moon spun, there he watched – and the lord of all cosmos saw each and every sparrow's fall.

Chip reeled as the enormity of it flowed through him. He could barely comprehend the merest fraction of the realm as it unfolded around his extended senses, and the fact that the emperor could do it in his sleep was mind-blowing. It was like looking at a field of grass and knowing how the wind would bend each blade, how each one would split and fall, and how yet another shoot would sprout up to replace it.

Lives, each of them as vast as the oceans, paraded across the world, shaping it with their touch. And the emperor, seeing some vast plan, would reach out a paw here, touch with a claw there, gently nudge... or sometimes, as was his whim, merely observe whilst chance and machinations took their course.

"Do you see?" asked the emperor. His disembodied voice was kind, yet insistent. Chip's vision continued, and he beheld a strange, four-hoofed creature reluctantly take up the mantle of dragon-kind. "Do you see now?" asked the emperor again as a mountain fell upon two ponies, and as from those deaths spread a roaring flame that consumed yet more lives; as a diarchy fell before a neverending tide of teeth and claws, as wings and flame triumphant raised a new banner over a crushed populace, and made a once green land its own.

"I... I see," whimpered Chip, shuddering at the enormity. He reached out a hoof and gingerly touched a piece which had long since been in play. He was seeing the board as it could have been, not as it was – history was just a matter of perspective. Celestia had moved it last time. Now, it would be his responsibility. It would continue to change the game; tides would turn, fate would smile differently, and new destinies would unfold.

"If you lack the courage, young one," said the dragon's voice again, softly this time, "I can move for you."

"I... I do not," replied Chip, even as he jerked his metaphorical hoof back, guiltily. He cast a long glance over a game as vast as the world. To one side, he saw Equestria had not fallen, but it was far from safe. Turning to the nearest quadrant, he recognized the spires, streets and sheer glowing intensity of Leviathania. Above it, he noticed Akhekhu's reaching claws of blue which even now spread their shadow across that great metropolis. Wrenching his gaze from that impossible vista, he sought to return to the real world – time was of the essence if he was to escape her grasp. Light and life flooded back as the dragon's claw retreated from his forehead. He blinked, swaying and nauseous, as Quetzalcoatl's form swam back into focus.

The dragon's head snaked down, his maw billowing sulphurous fumes and his infinite gaze exuding something akin to... pride. The words were gentle and simple, but their import was not. Their force was as unstoppable and as insistent as a hurricane, and they swept him away. "Then go."

♠♣♥

"—The best spread I've seen in... in... Chip?" Carmine looked up and swallowed. "Guys, where's Chip?"

"I 'unno," mumbled Bella. She raised her head and swallowed too before looking around the room. Then she burped and hoofed herself in the chest. "Sorry, been—" She hiccuped "—a while since I last ate properly."

"Chip's not here?" squeaked Hairpin.

"Relax, I'm sure he's just—" Carmine began.

"You don't get it. Chip's not here, and we're in the middle of the biggest, most powerful dragon's den in all of Leviathania!" Hairpin started panting heavily, her eyes rolling.

"Uh, big dragons, dominating? This bad, right?" whined Ruff.

Carmine's beak opened and closed wordlessly.

"We haven't got time for that," huffed Bethany, "this could be real troub—"

Beth broke off as the room bent and twisted itself into knots before snapping back into place, revealing an unmoving Chip.

"Chip!?" exclaimed Carmine as she and the entire group crowded around him, pushing and shoving to get closer. The griffoness waded through then shooed the others back to make space. She waved a claw in front of Chip's face to try and rouse him. "You okay?"

There were two loud thumps, the second accompanied by a clang as Chip turned his head to look at the griffoness. He stumbled forwards and fell into her embrace, shaking and holding her tightly with his magi-mechanical wings. Chip sobbed quietly into Carmine's feathers. "It was so much," he mumbled, voice muffled. Impulsively, he lifted both hooves around Carmine's neck and pulled tightly, leaning heavily and needily into her. "H-he's been there since before time began, and... and he sees everything. Everything! He saw us, he saw this, he sees where it may lead..." Chip shuddered and suddenly pulled back, staring into Carmine's face "...and he's so lonely, whilst he waits..." Chip looked away, into infinity.

"Waits for what?" asked Carmine, awkwardly brushing tears from Chip's muzzle.

"Whilst he waits to go home," replied Chip, voice pained. "Th-that's all I want, when this is all over, Car. I want to go home. W-with you," he added, gingerly. Behind him, Ivan trundled across the floor, muttering, "Wait, gold? How can it... split egg-sacks! He's a dragon! I didn't know dragons could cr-"

Carmine blushed, her beak almost glowing with the heat from her cheeks. Her crest was so elevated it had almost curled upon itself to droop down across her eyes. "We will, Chip, I promise," she said, unable to stop herself from nuzzling her odd coltfriend. She scowled when Penny uttered a tiny little congratulatory "whoohoo!", but was unable to keep it up. Instead, she hugged Chip fiercely and long. Finally, Chip broke the embrace. He wiped his muzzle with a hoof and stepped over a grumbling Ivan who was still circling his solid gold consolation prize.

"What am I supposed to do with gold of all things? Sheesh, I bet he didn't even talk to the emperor about me..." the beetle complained to nobody in particular.

"We should go," said Chip, grinning to hide his embarrassment. Then his face fell. "We have to move, because Akhekhu is coming to the city, or her forces are. I have a feeling we'll have just enough time to to get some supplies in, but we need to move now, ready or not."

"What, just like that? I thought you were going to—" began Carmine, amidst a chorus of confused agreement from the rest of the group.

"I did. I saw the emperor. And I have it. I have the first piece of the staff." Chip gestured with a wing, and the object made of two skulls appeared before him. He gestured at Ruff, and it floated over towards the pup. "The emperor said it remembers, that it has the memory of stone... do you know what that means? He also said it will lead us to the other pieces. Do you... do you know what he's talking about?"

Ruff idly stroked his chin then slowly nodded. He peered at his claw; clenching it, his fist burst into orange fire for a moment as he called forth his lithomancy. "Ruff understand," he said. Slowly, as if it might have crumbled to dust at the merest touch, he reached out for their prize.

♠♣♥♦

Pug squatted as he finished polishing the two skulls. It had taken many weeks of work, but it had felt right. In death, there was life. Two skulls would adorn his first staff; the first was of the unfortunate pony that had fallen prey to the misguided owner of the second, himself having been dispatched in retribution by one of the terrible, magnificent guardians of this foreign land.

Running his paws over their pristine, smooth whiteness, he had spoken to them, and they had become one with the spirit of rock that flowed through Pug and his tribe. He spoke to them of the journey they were making and what it would mean.

The pack had rested that first night, tired and hungry and more than a little scared. The dragon had been the only one to feast: she had gutted and skinned Crusher's corpse then roasted his meat with her flames. The tribe had done their best to ignore the smacking of lips, slurping of juices and cracking of bones. The next morning, Pug had collected Crusher's skull as a patrol headed out to catch sanctioned game. The pony had been returned to her tribe and buried, but the dragon had understood when Pug asked for the mare's skull too. The headpiece – he couldn't help but chuckle over the irony – of his staff now neared completion. The shaft was still raw, still convinced it was wood instead of the thaumic stone it was to become, petrified through sheer application of Pug's will. It would be ready soon, soon enough for him to tell it of the next part of their journey through their new home.

Straightening up in the waning sunlight, Pug reflected on their fortunes. Overall, it had been good. Few had been lost to the journey itself, though the absence of most of their young, old and a good deal of the adults was keenly felt; a sizeable portion of the pack had split off under Howler to stay behind and serve the ponies as they made their own amends. Pug had become First Alpha almost before he had been Alpha. It made him uncomfortable, but Grash had berated him for it. "If Pug is not First Alpha, then Pug is not Alpha. If Pug is not Alpha, then how can he have done all this? How can Grash stand here beside him?" the brawnier troll had said in a surprisingly thoughtful statement. He had followed it up with a ringing slap to the head which Pug still remembered, before he had been told in no uncertain terms, that if he did not wish to be Alpha, then he was to roll over like the omega runt many had thought he was. Pug had growled at that, and then Grash had slapped him again. "See? Pug knows what he truly is. Be that! Or be gone!" Chagrin was a new emotion for Pug, but he welcomed its sting. It meant he was still learning.

A huge shadow passed overhead, momentarily blotting out the sun, before something heavy and substantial landed further around the rim of the lake.

"Lady Manasa," said Pug, inclining his head towards the burnished copper-coloured behemoth. "How was your hunting?"

"Wretched," replied the dragon with a deep and throaty laugh. "But no matter. There is a dearth of game here in the mountains, but we shall be beyond them soon." She brought her long, sinuous neck lower, eyes curious as she stared at Pug's trophy. "I see we must add artisan to your lists of accomplishments, hmm? Pug the Artisan King..." The dragon rolled the phrase around in her muzzle as she strode around Pug. "It suits you, little one."

"King?" snorted Pug, "I am... just an Alpha."

"You are First Alpha, if I am not mistaken," replied Manasa. Grinning somewhat playfully and more than a little pridefully, she added, "And I am never mistaken. You are the alpha of all alpha's that ever will walk upon this realm. You will be their king, and—" she looked up, her gaze distant, "—you will be revered beyond all others. I see great things in your future. This mighty trek is merely the opening salvo in your war against history."

"War?" choked Pug. "I wage no war!"

"Be at peace," said Manasa with a soft laugh, "I speak merely of the war against the greatest of enemies – time itself. You, young troll, will be remembered, where the fate of so many more is to be forgotten, except by those that loved them."

"If I can lead my people to bountiful hunting grounds, where we may live our lives in freedom, then that will be enough."

"And that, young one, is why you will be remembered. Come, night is falling. You must gather the stragglers and make camp. I fear there will be snow before the night is out, and the tents must be made fast against the cold and wet." The dragoness heaved her great bulk easily onto her paws and stretched, wriggling, her tail flicking to and fro as she worked the kinks out of it and her wings.

"Snow?" asked Pug, ducking as clawed extremities passed overhead. He puffed out his cheeks as he stood and gazed down the valley. "If there is snow, then why must we cross these mountains? What is it that lies beyond them, which is so important it cannot wait a season or two?"

"What lies beyond these mountains, oh impudent pup, is a kingdom locked in ice. It is as beautiful as it is deadly."

"Then why must we venture there?!" growled Pug. "My Lady," he growled again, shaking a fist, "we are few, we are vulnerable, we are homeless. The ice and snow is not for us!"

"Aye, young king, it is not for the ice and snow that we must venture forth. It is for the people that live there. You see, the first thing you must understand about a kingdom is that the land and the king are one. You must grow into this land for it to offer itself to you. You must accept it, and it must accept you. For this to be so, you must make peace with all the peoples of this realm. I may have allowed you to stay, but so must the ponies."

"But the ponies aren't this far North!" complained Pug.

Manasa smiled, gaze hard and unyielding. "For the rulers of this realm to accept you, you will require a quorum amongst the three signatories to an ancient pact that you have unwittingly crossed. For a quorum, you would do well to gather the two most contrary nations first, especially considering your initial blunderings."

"You mean," said Pug, brow furrowing, "that I should convince you and... whoever we're going to see, before I bring our case to these two alicorn princesses that you have spoken of?"

"Indeed." Manasa's eyes glittered as she observed her pupil.

"Hmm." Pug considered, silently, as he watched the enormous female dragon noble turn and begin the long trek back towards his pack. Secreting away the headpiece in a fold of his sash and picking up his staff, he hurried after her. "Then tell me, who are we going to meet? Who is it that would live in such bleak, yet beautiful, surroundings?"

♠♣♥

"Griffons?!" squawked Carmine and Beth, crests rising in tandem. They paused in their striding, one on either side of Chip. For a single, short moment, he pondered the wisdom of standing between the two.

With some chagrin, he replied, "I... thought you'd have worked it out."

"Buh..." Bethany flicked her tufted lion's tail. "Where are we going? Back home to Tacksworn?"

Chip shook his head as he resumed his urgent motion down the corridor. "No, much further abroad. I don't know exactly where – Ruff can say more – but I have an inkling. Don't worry, the headpiece will show us the way. It has a..." Chip hesitated, rotating a forehoof in circles as he fought to find the right words. "It's something like a unicorn's 'find-it-need-it' spell, but... I don't know, it kind of tastes different. All the pieces know they belong together, and they call to each other. Just touch it. You'll know what I mean. It's ancient diamond dog magic." Chip shook himself. "Anyway, we just have one stop-off to make before we're ready to get underway."

"Where's that, Master?" asked Hairpin.

Chip smiled, sadly. "You'll see."

The group stood before the double doors that led outside. They were held fast, clearly impenetrable without leave of the emperor.

"So, are we ready?" asked Bethany, sharing a glance with each of her friends. Chip stared at his hooves, twisting and digging them into the carpet. Slowly, he moved to stand in front of the group, tail-end towards the doors.

"Before we leave the safety of the palace, I... I want you all to be sure..." he began.

"Yeah, yeah, we've heard it all before, dragon-boy. Gotta be careful, get out of the kitchen if you can't stand the heat. It's nothing new. Let's go!"

"No, I mean..." Chip took a deep breath. "It's far too late for turning back now, we all know that. What I mean is, we've angered a dragon-lord. There is no way Lady Akhekhu will stop, now that we have what she wants. From now on, we're on our own. My father couldn't stop her, not any more. This is big, real big—"

Carmine snorted derisively. "We're with you, hay-breath, all the way," she interrupted. "We always have been!" There was a chorus of agreement, which made Chip smile, his eyes glistening.

"I... know. I just wanted you to know, too, how serious this is. Which is why..." Chip closed his eyes and took a deep shuddering breath, as if in pain. "Which is why this is so hard, but I have to do it. Hairpin," said Chip, turning to the silvern pegasus, who took a startled step back.

"Master?" she asked, brow furrowed. She stepped back again, ears laying flat as her tail and wings flicked and fluttered about. "W-what—"

"'Pin, you're not coming with us."

"No!" she cried, flaring her wings, "I... I w-won't..."

"You must."

"Y-you said you'd never order me again. I won't listen."

"'Pin," said Chip, screwing his eyes shut, "please don't make this any more difficult than it has to be. I need your counsel, we need your strength and abilities, but there is one amongst us who needs you more. I would not be a fit master if I did not take your first-born into consideration." Chip suddenly let out a barking laugh as tears streamed down his muzzle. "E-even if he hasn't been born yet."

Hairpin's face screwed up as her features darkened. "I'm not an invalid! I barely show! I can do everything I've ever done!"

"Then tell me how you would feel if you did the one thing you've never done before, which is to lose your foal?" Chip's voice was soft, but it cut like a knife. Hairpin whimpered, and Chip immediately trotted forwards to embrace her. "I... I know I'm just a kid, but I wouldn't know what to do if something bad happened to him because of this," he said, voice muffled from beneath her mane and wings. "I don't want you to fall prey to Akhekhu, or to... be hurt by her, by this crazy crusade. I-if I d-die, or I'm captured, then I want you to remain safe, beyond her machinations." The pegasus was silent for quite a few moments. Chip was about to open his muzzle and bid her speak when she broke the silence herself.

"I'll... do it. I just don't know where you expect me to go."

"There is one dragon, with whom you will be safe no matter what." Chip grinned suddenly, wiping at his tears with a hoof. He looked up, gaze casting around the rafters, and said, "Won't she?"

For a moment, there was silence, and then the voice of the emperor filled the corridor. "Tell me, young lordling, with what do you barter?" The disembodied voice was filled with amusement, but it was kind. Hairpin's eyes went wide with shock as Chip nodded to her, grinning.

"Hairpin Turn is the fastest, most agile pegasus I have ever met," replied Chip, still fruitlessly searching for the source of the voice. "She has won more awards than I can count, and I offer her to you on a loan. In return for the privilege of having full access to her abilities, all I ask in return is that you keep her in the luxury she deserves. Having such a prize even temporarily in your collection will bring great honour to your clan."

It was some time before the emperor's enthusiastic laughter died away and he could speak. "So be it then, Chiphoof Irontail Leatherback of the Diamond Expanse. I will honour your clan by accepting – on loan – your prize racing pegasus. Behold, the royal stables!"

Daylight flooded in as the doors opened inwards of their own accord, bringing with it the delicate, sweet fragrance of honeysuckle and peaches. Where previously had been little but the muted yellows, reds and browns of sandstone and desert, set against the backdrop of parched rock and the distant tang of salt from the ocean, now flourished the verdant green of meticulously cultured lawns. A mighty, winged stag strode purposefully towards them, chest held proudly out before him as he regarded them with an intense, yet kind, gaze. He towered above even Hairpin, the tallest of the group, and outmassed both griffons put together. His wise eyes were a warm light brown, and his pelt was a soft azure blue.

"I am Lucretius, head curator, groundskeeper and stablemaster to the emperor," he intoned solemnly in a deep and serious voice. "My master bids you welcome, young ones. If you would follow me, I will escort—" the peryton paused for the briefest of moments before continuing "—Hairpin Turn to her suite."

Chip stepped forwards and cleared his throat, inclining his head in a nod as the stag turned to regard him stoically. "If you have supplies which we may barter for," Chip stated hesitantly, "we have a long journey ahead of us, but I'm not sure what we can pay with..." At that, Ivan, who had been dragging somewhat behind, carrying his heavy load, fluttered forwards and held out a segmented limb. When the peryton merely glanced haughtily at the offered digits for a moment, the bug shrugged whatever served for his shoulders and soldiered on regardless.

"Ivancha D'Jaboozarf, tradesbug extraordinaire, is at your service, me old muckers. I've recently come into some gold, which I don't have much of a muchness for, but I believe some of you'se guys might want. Besides—" Ivan fluttered in front of Chip "—as my employer here was saying, since I'm on retainer as groom for Mistress Turn, my place is here by her side. I'm sure you've got room for her personal attendant, or you can make a little room, and we all go home happy. What say you?"

Lucretius snorted derisively as he listened to silent instructions. "The whims of my master are capricious at the best of times. Your bargain is acceptable. Walk this way."

"I would if I had the hips for it," muttered Bethany.

"Just takes a little practice," whispered Hairpin, swishing her tail as she trotted out into sunshine. Carmine caught Chip swallowing heavily and punched him in the withers before stalking after the pegasus. Chip followed soon after, wearing a 'what did I do?' expression.

The grounds were spectacular, an ocean of green and an oasis of fulgent extravagance spread out before them. It made Chip weak at the knees to realize that this section of the emperor's domain simply wasn't accessible unless the emperor allowed it, that no matter how one crept through the twisty, turning passageways of the city, you would never so much as catch a glimpse of this private retreat. There were two large, oval racetracks on either side of the wing of the palace they had emerged from, with a variety of creatures speeding around it; there were ponies, stags and hounds, not to mention a few camels, along with pegasi, perytons, lithe drakes and even dumb but curious wyverns. Some were practicing their starts, with the occasional ringing bell sounding out across the commons. Others were loping with long, easy strides as their trainers variably urged them on or cursed their laziness – whatever worked the best for inspiring their charges. In the middle of the ovals were prepared fields for battle, or gymnastic expression. Powerful grunts and the harsh clang of metal on metal could be heard as pig-like creatures and minotaur faced off against each other in decidedly serious 'friendly' bouts.

"My master is a patron of the physical arts as much as an adept of the arcane. You see before you centuries of cultivation, of fostering the very best this and any other realm has to offer. To step upon this hallowed ground is to pay homage to a vision that few have the faculties to fully comprehend."

At a brief commotion, Lucretius stopped. Carmine, who had been stalking relatively close, turned at his gaze, where a rough semi-circle of spectators were watching two bovines upending kegs over their wide-open muzzles and attempting to down the contents, to the chant of "CHUG! CHUG! CHUG!"

Lucretius sighed, heavily, wings drooping as he shrugged with his withers. "As I was saying, few have the faculties to fully comprehend the honour of their position, AND LIKELY NEVER WILL." He stomped a hoof, which set the ground rumbling. There was a loud cheer as one of the two fell over.

"That went better," the bovine hiccuped as he mumbled, "in rehearsal."

"Boss," chirped Ivan, "don't you worry, I'm used to that sort of bullsh—"

Chip galloped forwards and shoved the bug out of the way. "What he means is, that we are duly impressed with your fantastic facilities here, and Hairpin Turn will do her level best to make both myself and your master proud."

Lucretius sniffed haughtily, pulling himself upright and fluffing his pale blue wings as he stuck his nose in the air. "I am glad that somebody appreciates the honour and glory of this estate."

The stag continued to lead the way through the grounds, pointing out such notables as the lushly-appointed spa and health centre, therapeutic hot springs, saunas and wading pools – the group cooing appreciatively and enviously at the luxury being offered to Hairpin. Chip in particular caught a definite 'you had better get me tickets' glare from Carmine.

Finally, he pulled up between two rows of villas, each with a quaint carved bas-relief nametag hanging from a streetlamp and a number on a free-standing postbox.

"Here we are. This will be your street. Choose any unoccupied dwelling – those without fireflies in the lamps are available. Post is collected and delivered twice daily by messenger-wyverns, though you may call for a drake if you have a larger package. Every house has on-suite facilities for daily ablutions, but there is a communal bath-house just over the way. The same is true for food storage and preparation." Lucretius paused for a moment, listening to his master's internal voice, before continuing, his ear flicking reflexively. "I am informed you are to have a stipend, which you can collect at the post-office. Just follow the signs. Any expenditures beyond this are available on credit, which will be further handled by your owner."

Chip stumbled, and quickly turned wide, pleading eyes to Hairpin, who chuckled mercilessly.

"Don't worry, Master, I won't fritter away your hoard," she said, giggling, as she turned and thoughtfully looked at an available apartment, her hooves clip-clopping on the marble flagstones as she shuffled them in mild agitation. Sighing, she turned back to Chip. "If you're sure you don't want me with you?"

"I want you with me so very much, 'Pin," replied Chip soberly, ears out flat. "We all do," he added, to a chorus of agreement as they all crowded around Hairpin, "but none of us want to risk your foal, right?"

Penny nickered. "I'd never forgive Chip if he let you get hurt," she said, glaring daggers at the boy for what had already occurred. "I've been worried ever since we left Tacksworn."

"That's kinda why we needed the airship," agreed Chip. "I said I'd not have you dragging us all over Equestria. Now you don't need to," he affirmed, poking one forehoof in Hairpin's direction.

"I can work the teleport now," said Bella, spontaneously hugging the older pegasus before drawing back and looking into her eyes, reassuringly, "and I know Penny can handle navigation."

"And after last time," squawked Carmine, swatting Chip, "I think I can handle engineering."

"Ruff and Beth, we handle communications good!" said Ruff proudly. Beth raised an eye-ridge then grinned, fist-bumping the pup-troll with a foreclaw.

"And I've got the engines," finished Chip.

"So, you don't need me at all," stated Hairpin with a grin, tears staining her muzzle. Chip shook his head, fiercely, then leaped forwards to hug her, one foreleg raised awkwardly across her withers, behind her mane, his hoof drooping down to her shoulders. Seizing the moment, he spread his wings and wrapped them around the pegasus, Bevelmiter tubes whirring and sparking, as he screwed his eyes shut against tears and lifted his other hoof to hug even harder. Unbalanced, he fell back awkwardly, landing on his haunches, wincing at the sudden pain in his tail.

"Don't ever say that. Ever," he said, looking up into her eyes. "I need you, 'Pin. You keep me honest. I never realized what you meant to me, until I realized what I might lose if you... if you lost... if you got hurt, like... my parents. I know I own you," he added, in a hurry, blurting out the words to carry the conversation on from where he had finally let it go, "and I don't really understand what that means – I know I don't – but you own me, just as much. You're my friend, and I would do anything for you. So I'm doing this for you."

"And I will do this for you too," said Hairpin, and she kissed Chip on the forehead. Then she turned to Lucretius. "They need supplies: food, water, maybe some weapons, and a wagon to carry it in until they're at the airship. What can you give them?"

"Food and water are no issue," said Lucretius slowly. His eyes narrowed, thoughtfully. "But weapons? That shouldn't be too difficult, though you may have to make do with training equipment, and they may need spot repairs. I suppose you require armour as well?"

Chip nodded enthusiastically. "Anything you've got will help. I've got some of my training spikes, and the girls have their wing blades and hunting talons, but that's about it."

"Most of our guards are bigger than you or your advisor," Lucrectius cocked his head at Ruff thoughtfully, "but... we have trainees that are your size. Your har— I mean entourage are more appropriately sized—" Lucretius carried on obliviously as Chip choked at several sets of eyes glaring at him balefully "—but we should be able to find something for everybody." The peryton stamped one cloven forehoof officiously and straightened. Moments later, a young drake swooped down and presented himself, scroll and quill in claw. Lucretius trotted towards the creature. "Ah, Scorch. Take a letter for me please, and see it is delivered at once..."

♠♣♥

In short order, a loaner wagon was located and Penny was hitched up to it. It was made of wood so ancient that it had turned grey where it wasn't covered with the faded, flaky, peeling remains of what had once been paint. It stood on two unsprung solid round wheels made of the same dry, grey kindling-fodder material, rimmed with what had once been iron, but was now little more than a rust-coloured highlight. It had been pronounced just about roadworthy, but no bets were being taken. Nevertheless, it stood stocked full of supplies in the middle of the quaint little square down the road from Hairpin's new villa, near the communal well. It was little more than four sides, two wheels, some cargo netting and the harness, but it would have to suffice.

The two griffons flanked her, one on each side, bedecked in an array of leather and steel armour that left their claws free to rend and tear, yet protected their flanks and vulnerable underbellies. Chip took point, weighed down by barding on his withers and flanks, a replacement horned helmet upon his head. Ruff was straddling his neck, perched just fore of Chip's wings, holding onto his mane. The troll brandished a mace in one paw, with his staff held awkwardly in the other, situated almost horizontally in front of him across Chip's back as he fought to keep his grip on both it and upon his mount.

Carmine and Bethany shared a look, before the former spread her wings. "You wanna tell us what the deal with all this armour and weaponry is? I mean, I know we're facing trouble, but what makes you think we'll find it?" asked Carmine, scowling. There were mutters of agreement. Even Bella and Hairpin looked up from where they were stowing the last of the gear at the back of the wagon, nodding.

Chip put on a serious expression. "When I was... with the emperor—"

"You were only gone a few moments!" snorted Bethany, poking Chip in the croup.

"Believe me, it was longer for me," retorted Chip, which immediately caused confusion and questions. Stomping a hoof and swishing his tail, the bolas fastened to it clashed against his armour. The din rose above their cries of astonishment, silencing them. When he had their full attention, he continued. "I'll explain more later, but for now know this: when I was with the emperor, he showed me things. Akhekhu knows we're here, and she's sending what forces she can against us. If we cannot defend ourselves, we are not worthy, in draconic terms, of succour." Chip's gaze went from each member of his group to another, making sure they understood the import of his words. "I don't know what she'll send against us, but I can guess," he continued.

"Diamond dogs, maybe," suggested Bella as she wriggled inside her chainmail. A simple gleaming circlet of metal was fastened to the base of her horn. It swept back up and around her head, keeping her mane out of her eyes.

Chip tilted his head to one side thoughtfully. "Maybe. Anyway, they may not be in time to stop us, but once we leave the sanctuary of the emperor's palace grounds, we're on our own either way. Our enemies will be discreet where there are others nearby, because damage to draconic property will be expensive, but that doesn't mean they'll be kind, and outside of the city limits – or in the air – they will be remorseless. They will not hesitate to hurt you, even kill you, so pay them back in kind. Surrender if they offer it and you have no other choice, but keep your guard up. The airship is safe, but only so long as it is docked. When we're in the air, we need to leave as soon as possible. I'm pretty sure they won't be able to follow us when we teleport, but if the worst comes to the worst..." Chip stopped, ears flicking completely back against his skull as he ducked his head in worry. As he caught Carmine's grim, determined expression, he raised his head hopefully, ears flicking forwards The griffoness slammed one foreclaw into the other as she reared back on her hind paws for a moment, wings spread.

"If the worst happens, then Penny fires that Wing Motion Cannon again, and me and Beth tear up what's left," stated Carmine, flexing her claws menacingly as she slammed them and her body down against the flagstones. Beth nodded in affirmation, clicking her beak savagely.

Slowly, Chip nodded, as the group formed a rough circle around Penny. He exchanged glances from each of them, noting Bella's thoughtful expression, the bloodlust flitting across Carmine and Beth's faces, the fear in Penny's eyes and the comforting wing of Hairpin. Ruff was taking practice swings with his mace, but it wasn't mere play-acting; the pup was serious. They all were. "You understand," Chip stated, taking a deep breath and letting it out. This was likely to be the last moment of peace they would have until, hopefully, Bella could teleport The Great Harmony to wherever the next part of the staff was. The thought was sobering.

"Then if we're all ready," began Chip, his tone serious, "it's time to get moving. Lucretius said that leaving this place is pretty simple; it'll be just like falling off the Way back over into Ponyville."

"Yeah," Bethany raised her head, ear-tufts twitching as her neck-feathers fluffed up, "I can find the ship."

"Then you and Car, you go with Penny and Bella. Ruff and I will run. The headpiece will be safe in my saddlebags."

"I hope so," muttered Penny darkly. "I don't want that disgusting thing near me if I can help it." The pegasus shivered.

"You sure about this? I mean, I can run too..." pleaded Bella, eyeing the carriage suspiciously.

Chip shook his head. "No, Bella, you need to go with Penny. Ruff and I will be fine on the ground. If you give us a bit of a boost, we'll be the fastest thing on four legs. Besides," Chip rolled his shoulders as his wings unfurled behind Ruff, "if I need them, I have these, and you don't. They're more than a bit unusual though, even for this place, so as long as I'm making good time, I'll stick to the streets. First sign of trouble and I'll take to the skies. That'll be your cue to come rescue me, okay Car?"

The griffoness flexed her armoured claws. "Just point me at what needs skewering, and let me do the rest."

Bethany scraped one wingblade against another, sending a shower of sparks leaping before her. "I've been aching to use these. Just give me a reason."

Chip chuckled. "It sure makes my saddlebags lighter now that you're wearing them, but just... try to stay out of trouble."

"Then, for maximum speed... Bella, if you'd do the honours and make us all weightless?" Chip took a few tentative steps back to give the unicorn room. Bella pursed her lips and her lavender horn lit up in an equally soft lavender glow as she cast a weight-reduction spell on the entire party. As the nimbus of light burst, she was panting, green mane flopping over her eyes.

"There," she huffed, "that will last for a while." She then staggered over to the wagon and collapsed into the back. Raising her head, she called out plaintively, "Somepony tie me down. I'm too pooped to hold on, and I really don't like heights when there's no seatbelts. If I've got to ride in this death-trap, I don't want to fall out."

Ruff sighed. Being the only one of the band with both paws and a stint in the Foal Scouts, he was the best at knots. Leaping off Chip's back, he remembered too late that Bella had only just cast her spell. He flailed both arms and legs about as he tumbled head over tails through the air. Beth's raucous laughter echoed down the villa-lined avenue as, with a practiced hop, she leaped into the air and snagged the pup, turning a neat summersault.

"As much as I'd like to play my new favourite game, piñata-dog," said Bethany with a cawing laugh as she dangled Ruff from his ankle, swaying him gently side to side like a flag, "Bella's spell won't last forever. I suggest we make our move." The black and brown griffon turned to Hairpin. "I don't get what Chip's got on you, but you gotta follow your heart. And I gotta follow mine. He's right to tell you to stay here. Stay safe, hunting is for predators, like us griffons. This'll all be over soon, and we'll come get you when Akhekhu's been dealt with."

Wriggling free of Beth's claws, Ruff took tentative, careful bounds over to the elder pegasus and embraced Hairpin before leaping once more to land on the heap of goods held under the netting in the back of the wagon.

"Ruff miss you too. Ruff want you to stay safe!" he called out, as he searched for some means to hold Bella fast without smothering her. In the end, he settled for a tarpaulin-like piece of cloth and set that up as a part-sling, part huge belt. Satisfied, he shared a nod with the unicorn before leaping once more to Chip's back, the impact sending the youngster bouncing several feet. Penny, who was strapped into the wagon's harness at the front, contented herself with turning her head and nodding, solemnly, to the other pegasus.

"Fair winds and sunny skies, sister," she said.

"Fair winds," replied Hairpin, eyes glistening wetly as she fought back tears.

"Enough with the mushy-mush, let's book!" shouted Carmine, and in a flash of pink, white and brown, she took to the skies, circling tightly. A second flash of gold, brown and black later, and with a great swooping down-beat of wings that lifted the remaining spectators into the air a few feet, Bethany joined her.

"See you back at the airship, Chip!" yelled Penny as she broke directly from standing into a gallop, spreading her wings wide and soaring effortlessly into the heavens. The trio of flyers, with their rickety wagon and semi-unwilling unicorn passenger in tow, circled the small square a few times before getting their bearings and heading off and out, towards the distant city.

"Not if I see you first!" bellowed Chip after her. He turned, once, to Hairpin, who waved him off with a hoof, before he looked back at Ruff. "You good?"

"Ruff good," the pup answered, steely determination written all over his narrowed eyes and teeth bared in a manic grin.

There was a short sigh from the sidelines. "I have a feeling I'm going to regret this, chum, but if you wanna get back to the ship in the least amount of time, with the least amount of trouble, and judging you just said you know there'll be some... you'll need a guide. And there really ain't no guide better than me."

Chewing his lip for a moment, Chip nodded hesitantly. "I can't guarantee your safety, and I don't think you wanna come with us where we're going."

"Na, mate, just to the ship," replied the bug, flapping over to Chip and Ruff, where he grabbed resolutely on to Chip's tail, like the ballast of a kite.

"All set too?" asked Chip, one last time.

"You betcha," replied Ivan.

"Then it's go time. Hold on tight." Flapping his wings experimentally, Chip fought to remain at ground level as he took a few tentative steps. Grinning wildly, he reared back and sucked in a huge gutful of air. Reaching mentally inside, he sought the glowing ember within and stoked it until it flared up into a raging inferno. As his forehooves kicked emphatically before him, he let forth a huge torrent of fire and roared his challenge at whomever may dare oppose him, the eardrum-shattering echoes reverberating across the complex until long after the dragon himself had left.

♠♣♥

Queen Emerald pushed backwards, fanged teeth bared and eyes half-lidded. Prince Whistler pushed decidedly forwards, his own fanged maw hanging open in undisguised lust, his forked tongue lolling to one side. Feeling the fire within him building, he leaned forwards and fastened his teeth resolutely onto Emerald's ear, growling throatily as he bit. His forelegs, draped over her barrel, kicked spasmodically, rubbing sensuously and needily against the holes in her legs. The flarings of their passion were flooding through the hive with wanton abandon – today it would not be merely hunger that was satiated. Even the air-pumps were sounding out a rhythm which could be called 'intimate'.

It was with only the barest flickering of annoyance that Emerald allowed Akhekhu's communication spell to connect. As the two-way scrying became clear to both parties, the large blue dragon hissed, and her eyes widened appreciatively. Almost reflexively, Emerald sent a tendril of raw emotion out towards the creature. Akhekhu purred helplessly, the feedback from the unexpected shared link enjoyable to both of them.

"I am sorry to... disturb you," said Akhekhu. She wasn't, particularly, though the fire in her loins was uncomfortable, if pleasurable.

"No you're not, not now at least." Emerald smirked as her lover, spent, dismounted. She flicked her tail thoughtfully as she stretched languidly. Lovemaking, she recalled, was a private affair for many species, something to be enjoyed with only a few very close friends. At least, that's what she had gathered from contact with converts for her hive. For changelings, privacy was something almost entirely foreign. As she stalked out from her personal quarters, Emerald idly wondered whether Akhekhu had properly understood the honour of being included in the Hive during a mating. Either way, the result had been enjoyable. The tang of the dragon's physiological reaction had been... Emerald licked her lips. Tasty was the only word for it.

"To what do I owe the honour of your company, Lady Akhekhu?" Emerald could guess – linked as she was to the dragon's state of being, thoughts and emotions flowed continuously. The dragoness could hide specifics, but not intent.

"I have a job for your people, Emerald," said Akhekhu. Emerald pursed her lips in a moue of displeasure. Now that she worked with the dragon – not for, never for – the great blue beast never used her proper title.

"Our mutual distraction has been located, I take it?" Emerald paused for a moment, one foreleg lifted. She ran it through her flamelike mane and tossed her head; the after-tremors of her time with Whistler were still fresh in her mind, but she couldn't deny a certain fascination with the target of Akhekhu's ire. The brief mental taste of the strange dragon-like pony, gathered through her minions, had been intriguing. She briefly entertained the idea of dominating the draconic stallion and having him for herself. In time, perhaps, this would come to pass. Sniffing, she strode onwards. "My hive has grown strong under your patronage, Lady Akhekhu. With your supply of new blood, the ranks of my drones have swelled most appreciatively, and with the excess from your diamond dog pets, I am having great success at moulding a new under-caste to serve my empire."

"Moulding them?" Akhekhu's interest was piqued. She leaned forwards until only one great eye was visible in the ball of eldritch mage-fire. "Do tell. I am intrigued."

Striding confidently into a small birthing chamber that lay just a short ways from her quarters, Queen Emerald allowed an indulgent smile to flow across her lips at the sight of her newest brood. "My hive is one of order, my lady. Drones for each purpose are hatched and trained according to need. Your diamond dogs, though... they do not breed with my former ponies – even after being taken in by the hive itself – and have a differing temperament. So I have decided to breed them for a new purpose – guards, troops perhaps. We shall see... they are fast, strong, and very, very loyal." Emerald cood at an egg, gently stroking it with a hoof. The faint thump-thump, thump-thump of multiple heartbeats could be felt as much as heard. They had grown, under her tender ministrations. They had been shaped and forged anew.

"I had to neuter the first batch," said Emerald with a sigh. "A pity, but they were no longer breeding stock material, and their urges were altogether uncontrollable. They still retain their ferocious nature to all intruders, but are now much more amenable to their new station under my command."

"Instead of on top?" suggested Akhekhu with a quiet snigger.

Emerald snorted. "Precisely. It is, however, but a small matter of hormones and some biological restructuring. This new batch," said Emerald, smiling indulgently as she stroked her hoof tenderly across the knotty, twisted surface of the nearest giant, egg-shaped sack, "and all their future siblings, will be quite, quite loyal when they are ready, and entirely uninterested outside of their own caste."

"And..." Akhekhu leaned back until the entirety of her head, especially her teeth, was visible. "When will this new batch be ready?"

A massive, hulking claw wreathed in glowing green ichor slammed through the mottled, purple-hued eggshell, scattering plate-sized pieces across the dimly-lit room. The claw opened and retracted, then took a firm hold of the rim of the hole and pulled.

"I believe you already have your answer, Lady Akhekhu."

The dragoness smiled wide, well pleased. "Then, as I said before, I believe I have a job for you..."

♠♣♥

Author's Note:

I was almost naughty again this time by releasing before ready, but maskedferret persuaded me not to. Or was it Caliaponia? Anyway, these two have hammered this chapter into shape, along with Jake the Army Guy, Nyerguds and AntiquatedAnnomaly. And once again, q97randomguy deserves an oscar (or whatever the "I had to deal with a grouchy author who doesn't know how to use punctuation properly" award is) for fixing the technical aspects. I had to buy a whole new set of hats to take them off to you. I may include pictures... so I hope you enjoy!

Also, I don't think anybody noticed, but last chapter was possibly the first chapter in the entire book where I did not switch viewpoints away from our heroes throughout the entire thing. But don't quote me on that. It's at least the first chapter in a long time!