• Published 3rd Jan 2017
  • 5,307 Views, 125 Comments

Millennial History Cure - Foals Errand



Starswirl's last spell swapped the destinies of the bearers of the Elements of Harmony. Now, over a thousand years later, the spell is reversed by Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
12
 125
 5,307

Chapter 2

“Sister, I think she is finally waking. Twilight Sparkle, can you hear us?”

Twilight groaned and rolled over, waving a hoof at the voices. “Just five more minutes, Spike... “

“Twilight, it’s Celestia. I need you to wake up, my former student.”

Twilight gasped and jerked up, eyes wide open. “I’m here! I’m awake! I… wait, what?” She paused to look around. “Oh, right. I’m a princess now. No more surprise tests. Uhm… hello, Princess. Princesses. That weird dream I had wasn’t a dream, was it?”

Celestia smiled gently and sat next to Twilight. “If it involves Luna and our cutie marks, then I am afraid not, Twilight.”

Twilight sighed and let her head hang, ears folding back. “I’m really sorry, Princess. I never thought that the spell would even do anything, but… well, I still don’t think that we made a mistake. All signs point to those being your original cutie marks.”

Celestia blinked and hesitated, glancing at Luna. “I… how is this possible? In all my recollections, I have been the Sun Princess… Lulu?”

Luna sighed and rubbed her forehead with a hoof. “I know there is something… I am getting a headache, and not just from this conversation. There is strong magic at work here, and it may be years before it fully dissipates.” She looked up. “Twilight Sparkle, please tell us what exactly the spell you cast was.”

Twilight sat up a bit straighter as she summoned the old journal. “Starlight and I were discussing Starswirl’s last spell and the likeliness of some little pony finding it and reading it out loud. And with my three young students, it was far too likely than we wanted to consider.” She flipped to the last page. “So we devised a counter spell. It wasn’t supposed to do anything. We were only checking it’s magical signature compared to the original spell.”

Luna turned to her sister, raising an eyebrow. “Ah yes, the spell you sent your student without any further explanation. Did Starswirl really never tell you what it did?”

Celestia shrugged shaking her head. “All he told me was that it was broken and unfinished. It was the perfect test to gain her wings. Are you saying that he told you more?”

Luna frowned. “He was… rambling. Yelling about his greatest mistake, how it was all his fault, begging me to forgive him. He was in tears, sister. You know I can count on my forehooves the times I have seen him cry.”

Celestia closed her eyes, flicked her left ear back and forth a few times, and then finally let out a sigh. “There was a time…. I was up fairly late — roughly one in the morning, I believe — and on my way to get a snack, I heard him muttering in the library. Unable to resist, I snuck up on him as a prank, and he yelled at me. Let me think...it was… ‘Ah, A pox be unto thee Night ruler’. Then he slumped and shook his head, mumbling about misidentification.”

Twilight took a deep breath and stepped forward. “It seems that whoever casts the original spell is protected from its effects. Starswirl must have tested it and… well, it did the same thing it did when I read it. It swapped the destinies of the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony.”

Celestia nodded, wrapping a wing around Luna’s barrel. “And when Starswirl tested his spell… Luna and I…we were.”

Twilight nodded slowly. “Your cutie marks and your destinies were switched. And nopony except Starswirl ever knew it, not even you.”

“Oh no… that means...” Celestia turned to Luna, and her ears pinned back. “I’m so sorry, baby sister!”

Luna stepped back, her ears pinned back as well. “What do you mean, sister? Didn’t Twilight just say that neither of us can be faulted for what Starswirl’s spell did?”

“It made you turn to the Nightmare… you weren’t used to the quiet night. You had the ponies’ love, their admiration… I took it from you… oh Lulu, I’m so sorry…” Celestia closed her eyes, trying to stop the tears that were dripping down her cheeks.

Luna trembled and quickly moved in to wrap her wings around her sister...or, as well as she could, considering her size. “Cease that, Tia. I have forgiven you for that already. These new revelations do not change anything. If anything, we know now that it wasn’t just your fault. It was a tragedy, yes, but we are all stronger for it now.”

Celestia held Luna tight. nuzzling her. “Well, what do we do now? I have no more control over the sun then you did yesterday…”

Luna chuckled and nuzzled her sister back. “We will figure something out, as we always have. You have carried both our duties for centuries. Between the two of us, I doubt we won’t be able think of a solution.” She glanced over at Twilight and Starlight. “And you and your friends as well, if they would help us. We would greatly appreciate it.”

Twilight nodded. “Of course. Starlight, Spike and I will come with you back to Canterlot.” She paused. “Should I get the other girls? They have been through this spell, after all. I mean, they may be able to understand it better than me.”

Luna nodded. “Only if they don’t mind. While this is a serious situation, there is truly nothing to fix… only to cope with. We wouldn’t want to keep them from their own lives and duties.”

“Well, Rarity lives for Canterlot, so I know that she’ll come,” Twilight considered.

Rainbow Dash shook her head. “Princesses, all of us will be coming to help. I mean, we’re the elements of Harmony, and it sounds like a bunch of things are going to be changing, aren’t they?” She leaped into the air. “Just hang tight and I’ll get the others, if they aren’t already on their way here.”

Spike looked up at her. “You might want to stop at a few places in town anyway. You know, tell ponies that no new disaster is going to come. Try to calm down Roseluck, Lily and Daisy…” He glanced at the still-dark sky. Before looking over to Luna. “Speaking of… maybe you should try raising the sun?”

Celestia smiled over at Luna. “Go on, little sister. Raise the sun.”

Luna nodded and shot a wary look up at the sky, lighting her horn. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, then slowly searched her new connection to the sun, sweating a bit as she strained to pull the sun over the horizon.

Celestia watched with a small smile, placing a wing over Luna’s back. “Beautiful, Lulu. I think…I can remember standing just like this with you. When we were younger.”

Luna slowly opened her eyes, returning the smile with a slightly strained one. “I know what you mean, yes. It is heavier than the moon, yet not as exhausting than painting the whole night sky. Maybe that was why you, as the older one, had that duty originally.”

“It’s possible, but our foalhood was so long ago I doubt that either of us will ever remember it correctly.” Celestia yawned, covering her muzzle with a hoof. “Oh my, now I understand why you seem so drowsy under the afternoon sun. It’s like I’m being drained.”

Luna blushed. “You get used to it, really. I only need a few hours of sleep a day, just like you… but you should take them during the day, so you are well rested for your duties during the night.”

Celestia nodded. “I should yes…but I don’t think I will have the chance to do so today. Equestria is probably in a panic — not to mention the rest of our planet — and our coming announcement is unlikely to help things.” She turned towards Twilight, a sad smile on her lips. “My dear Twilight, might you have some coffee for your old teacher?”

Twilight chuckled. “I’m sorry, Princess. I might be the Element of Magic, but you know Spike is the one who does the magic in the kitchen.” She winked at her assistant.

“Very well then. Spike, my dear, might you be able to spare some coffee for an old mare?” Celestia smiled, poking her tongue out. She shook her head “Oh my, I apologize Spike, I lose a bit of my composure when I’m drowsy.”

Spike chuckled, turning to walk back into the kitchen. “You’re better than Twilight when she hasn’t had her coffee.”

“Is that right? Why, Twilight, perhaps I should have never introduced you to caffeine in your youth.” Celestia took the mug in her hooves once Spike returned, deeply breathing in the smell of coffee, her eyes closed. “Oh, blessed nectar of the Gods.” She paused. “Our friends have arrived and are now staring at me, aren’t they?”

Rarity daintily cleared her throat. “Yes, well, with all due respect, Your Highness…the surprise of seeing you act like this in private is wearing off, somewhat.”

Pinkie giggled and nodded. “Yeah. We all know that you and Lulu are just regular ponies, just like me and Dashie.”

Rarity frowned. “Not the examples I would have used for ‘regular ponies,’ but fair enough.”

Celestia smiled before taking a sip of her coffee. “Thank you, all of you my friends, for coming so quickly. I hope none of you were too startled by the sudden darkness?” She peered around Applejack to see Fluttershy. “I deeply apologize for any problems it caused your animals, dear Fluttershy.”

“Oh, uhm, that’s okay. They’ve kind of… gotten used to things like this.” Fluttershy blushed, shuffling her hooves and trying to hide behind Applejack.

“Did Rainbow Dash explain what is going on?” Luna asked while Celestia nursed her cup of coffee. She frowned for a moment, wondering what her and Celestia’s manes would look like once they allowed the magic to retake hold.

Everypony nodded, looking around at each other nervously. “It sounds a bit… strange, but I suppose we can see how that might have happened?” Rarity finally answered after a moment.

Luna sighed. “Tia and I barely remember back to before the spell was cast…” She frowned, pursing her lips. “In fact, I believe that even Mother and Father felt that Celestia would be of the sun and I the moon, what with our coloration. But destiny seems to make a foal of us all.”

Rainbow shrugged. “It’s not like every parent gets it right on the first try. That’s why you can change your name once you get your cutie mark. And sometimes, a pony just gets a really broad and generic name.”

Celestia grinned down at her. “Yes, I do seem to recall receiving a name change request from a young pegasus filly roughly ten years ago.” She hummed before returning to her coffee. “But, we should head back to Canterlot. I’m guessing that Kibitz has already contacted Cadance and a detachment of guards are likely on their way here to retrieve you Twilight.”

Twilight nodded. “Yes, of course. Uhm… I guess we’ll wait outside? Do you want to travel with us, or are you going to teleport back?”

Celestia looked over to Luna. “I leave the decision to you. The guards should arrive soon.”

Luna spread her wings. “I always enjoy a good flight. Just as long as we do not need to use the public transportation.”

“You’ve never enjoyed the train, have you, Lulu? Girls, will you stay long enough to let the guards know we are safe and on our way back Canterlot?”

Rainbow Dash grinned, before saluting. “You can count on us!”

“I enjoy the modern inventions very much, thank you.” Luna frowned and flapped her wings. “As long as we travel in the royal carriage. The common ones are too small and cramped for someone of my size, simple as that.”

Celestia nuzzled Luna’s cheek. “So, you’d like just the two of us to fly home together?”

Luna smiled, fluffing her wings. “I would like that very much.”

Celestia quickly gulped down the remains of her coffee. “My friends, we’ll see you all when you arrive in Canterlot. We’ll be waiting in the throne room. I have a feeling that Cadance is already there.” She set the cup down and walked out onto the balcony, allowing her magic to flow throughout her body once more, her mane dancing like the aurora. “That… is much better.”

Giggling as her own mane burst into a field of stars, Luna stepped out into the sunlight. “Just wait until you are under the moonlight. It fills you with a sense of calm and reflection just like the sun provides a sense of fire and power.” She closed her eyes, facing the sun. “I remember this feeling. Long ago, but it is not something you ever forget.”

Celestia smiled. “I can’t wait. I’m glad your memories are returning. Maybe it’s because you have a millenium less than myself, thanks to your long nap?” She spread her wings. “Ready?”

Luna smiled and patted her sister’s back with a wing. “I am sure your memories will return soon enough, as will mine.”

Celestia smiled. “Well, let’s go. If we hurry maybe we’ll be able to convince Cadance that we are not stupid changelings attempting to replace us.”

Luna groaned. “You have fun with that. I’ll be busy convincing everypony else that I’m not Nightmare Moon returned.”

Celestia winced. “We’re both going to be locked up until Twilight gets to Canterlot, aren’t we, little sister?”

“Let them try. I haven’t felt this invigorated during the day since Pinkie Pie introduced me to espresso.” Luna spread her wings, striking what could be considered an intimidating pose to lesser ponies.

Celestia laughed. “Well then, after you, dear Princess of the Day. I’ll let you protect me from the scary guards and the horrid Princess of Love.” She stuck her tongue out and leaped into the air. “Let’s go!”

Luna blew a raspberry, flying after her sister. “Careful now, Tia, or it won’t be the guards or Cadance who’ll be your first worry!”

“And, besides them, whom should I fear, Lulu?” Celestia grinned “You, little sister?”

“I have bested you in pranks and I shall do so again!” Luna yelled, flailing her hooves. “I may hold the sun, but I am still the night!”