• Published 3rd Jan 2017
  • 5,295 Views, 125 Comments

Millennial History Cure - Foals Errand



Starswirl's last spell swapped the destinies of the bearers of the Elements of Harmony. Now, over a thousand years later, the spell is reversed by Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
12
 125
 5,295

Chapter 1

Twilight sat in the library at a large table, humming quietly to herself, leafing through an old book, and occasionally looking away to take notes. It wasn’t just any old book, and while every book was special, this one stood above all others. It was the last journal of Starswirl the Bearded, containing the unfinished spell that had once helped her ascend to alicorn status, as well as various other experiments and spellcraft.

“A true, true friend… friend indeed… hmm mm mmh…”

Starlight walked in cradling two cups of coffee in her magical aura. “Morning Twilight. What was that you were humming? It’s really nice.” She set one of the cups down next to Twilight. “Three sugars, one cream, just like you like it, Teach.”

Twilight blushed faintly, levitating the cup and taking a slow sip. “You know you don’t have to call me that, right? But thank you.” She took another sip, then sighed and leaned back. “I didn’t miss our lesson, did I? I know I tend to lose track of time when I study.”

Starlight sat next to Twilight and smiled. “Nah, it’s still early. So, what’s with the old book? Oh! Is it part of my lesson today? You were singing about a true friend after all, Twilight.” She took a sip of her own coffee. “Wow, Spike makes a good cup of coffee.”

“This? Oh, uhm, no… I mean, you’re free to look over some of the magic theory in this book, but the last part is probably… I mean…” She fluffed her wings a bit, staring down at the page again before turning back to Starlight and smiling. “Actually, you know what? You might be exactly the second set of eyes I need for this. Did the girls ever tell you that story about my ascension?”

“Not really. I know you fixed a spell of Star Swirl’s and created new magic, but, uh...the girls were a bit…” Starlight tapped her forehoof on the table. “Hesitant to go into it. All Rarity would say was, ‘Checkerboard patterns! What was I thinking?’”

“Yes, I can see why they would be a bit embarrassed about the whole ordeal.” Twilight rubbed the back of her head with a hoof. “But, that other thing, about finishing the spell… this spell, by the way.” She held the book up for Starlight. “Don’t read it out loud, please. Anyway, looking over it again, I’m not entirely sure if I fixed it. Celestia said it herself, I made new magic… not fixing some old magic. I’m not even entirely sure if the spell was broken in the first place. It just didn’t have the effect Starswirl was hoping for, whatever that might have been.”

Starlight took the journal in her aura, read through the original spell, and frowned before nodding her head. “Well, it was definitely written by Starswirl. I should know, after all… but it’s odd. It’s a complete spell, of that I have no doubt. Why would it be his unfinished masterpiece if it was already finished? Twilight, you obviously read it out loud, right? What were the effects, if any?”

Twilight took the journal back as soon as Starlight was done with it, frowning. “Well...I think they called it unfinished because it never did what it was supposed to do. It’s an incantation that can swap the cutie marks… no, the very destiny of ponies. When I read it, my friends all thought that the cuties marks they had were their original marks.” She groaned. “Trust me, the only thing worse than Applejack trying to make dresses is watching Pinkie Pie trying to buck apples.”

“Why did it switch your friend’s destinies instead of the destinies of any other ponies? Why them in particular?” Starlight frowned as her eyebrows knitted. She felt there was something she was just missing. Something big.

“That’s what I’m not entirely sure of yet.” Twilight sighed. “What I do know is that it changed the cutie marks of my friends through their connection with the Elements of Harmony, which were in the same room with me at the time. But whether the spell simply focuses on the closest group of ponies with cutie marks and recognized the Elements as such, or if it actively targeted the Elements as a part of the spell. ” She shook her head. “It’s worrying to think about, but I’m too scared of what might happen if I try to cast it again. And I can’t even study the Elements anymore because they’re a part of the Tree of Harmony again.”

“Well, it might be a good idea to try and create a fail safe for this spell, just in case it’s not just targeting the element holders. Sadly, I could see one of the Crusaders reading this if they got their hooves on it.” Starlight shrugged “Besides, who better than you and me to fix the spell you fixed, Teach!”

Twilight smiled and rolled her eyes. “Oh, stop the flattery. You do have a point though… if we can make a reliable counterspell, we could study the spell without the dangers of irreversibly changing somepony’s destiny.”

“I’ll go ask Spike for some more coffee, and sandwiches too. You get the supplies we’ll need, Twilight. Should I tell Spike we’re in Defcon One research?” Starlight stood back up from the table, taking Twilight’s mostly empty cup.

“Oh Celestia, I hope it won’t come to that.” Twilight shuddered. “The last time that happened I literally disintegrated. The poor guy had nightmares for weeks.” She stood up as well and started pulling books from the shelves, looking them over. “Besides, we’re just making a counterspell. If we do it right, it won’t even do anything unless someone casts the original spell first.” She hummed and made a note. “Note to self… study the effect of incantations on and by non-ponies.”

“Good luck on getting a non-pony to volunteer for that one, Twilight. I’ll be back in a few minutes.” Starlight left the room to head back to the kitchen. “Hey Spike, we need some more coffee and some sandwiches. Twilight and I are going to be working on a reversal to the unfinished spell.”

Spike nodded, pouring two more cups of coffee, and pulling a plate of sandwiches out of the fridge. “Coffee… sandwiches…” He handed everything over to Starlight, then pulled a hardhat and a security vest from the pantry. “If you need me, I’ll be hiding out in the bunker....I mean, uh, the basement.”

“Yeah, that’s about what I thought. Thanks Spike.” Starlight put everything on a tray, but then hesitated. “Did Twilight really disintegrate herself?”

Spike shuddered, clutching the vest tighter to himself. “Please don’t remind me of that.”

“Right. Take care of yourself.” Starlight prepped her shield spell, just in case, and carried the tray into the library.


Starlight stared at the written counterspell, her mane stuck out in places and her coat a mess. “Teach...how did you create a fireball while trying to create a counterspell to a spell that has nothing to do with fire?”

Twilight blushed and waved off. “Oh, um, that happens more often than you’d think. Fire magic is my natural affinity, actually.” She looked away, mumbling. “...my mane literally into flames…”

“Well, that is a story I’ve got to hear. But later. For now, I think we got it. Would you do the honors, Princess?” Starlight summoned a brush from her room to tame her mane.

Twilight nodded, taking a step forward and lifting up the scroll, clearing her throat one more time for good measure. “From another to one, magic flows back. Wrong destiny, returned to the right track.” She tensed and looked around, then slowly relaxed again. “Well, that was about as anticlimactic as we’d hoped, wasn’t it?”

Starlight opened her mouth to answer when she heard a smash right outside of the locked door, which shuddered further as it was furiously pounded on from the outside.

“Twilight! Twilight are you in there? Are you okay? Answer me!”

Twilight gulped, taking a deep breath. “Okay, okay… no need to panic, I’m pretty sure neither of us died this time. Whatever it is can’t be too bad, right?” She walked over to the door, her magic already unlocking it. “We’re both fine! What’s wrong?!”

Rainbow Dash wrapped her forelegs around Twilight and held her tightly. “Oh, thank Celestia, Luna, I’ll even thank Cadance and Discord! I was so scared that something had happened to you that the Princesses were like bawling their eyes out or something!”

“The Princesses… what? Rainbow, calm down!” Twilight stumbled back, awkwardly trying to pry the pegasus off of herself and feeling just a tad bit uncomfortable at the attention. “We’re fine. Why would you think that something happened to me?”

There was a knock on the doorframe and Spike walked in, now wearing a miner’s hat with its lamp lit up. “Sooooo, Twi… do you want to tell us why all the lights suddenly went out outside?”

Starlight walked over to the window and lifted the black out curtain and stared in horror, her jaw dropping. “Teach, he’s right. It’s around two in the afternoon, and there’s no sun… or moon… or stars, even...it’s just...black.”

Twilight opened her mouth, then closed it again and ran over to the window, pushing Starlight aside. “What?! T-that wasn’t us! I mean, it makes absolutely no sense! The spell doesn’t have a single connection to the sky or the sun or… Spike, can you send a message to Celestia to make sure that she’s okay?”

Spike saluted before grabbing a piece of parchment and a quill as Starlight continued to stare out the window.“Wait! The moon!” Everyone turned to the window again to watch as the full moon shakily and far too quickly made its way into the sky.

A sudden gold light temporarily blinded everyone within the room. After a brief moment, the light faded, and Celestia and Luna, both wearing cloaks, became visible. Celestia swallowed hard, visibly distressed. “Twilight Sparkle, We… are in need of help…”

“Princess Celestia, Princess Luna!” Twilight’s ears perked up and she jumped forward, stopping short in front of them. “You’re both okay! What happened? Did Tirek get loose again and take your cutie marks? Did some other dark entity appear? Don’t worry, me and the others will have this fixed in no time… I hope. I mean, probably.”

“Nothing quite that simple i’m afraid my faithful stu— Twilight. Go on Luna, show her.” Celestia leaned down and softly nuzzled Luna’s cheek, encouraging her.

Luna nodded and tugged at the clasp with her mouth. Celestia smiled sadly “I’m afraid we are both a bit nervous to use our magic right now.”

After a few moments of tugging, the cloak finally unclasped and fell to the floor. “Can you help us Twilight? Please, Tia and I are not certain where else to go! Were it not for thee… you, we would be forced to beg help from Discord!”

“What do you… mean…” Twilight blinked when the cloak fell down, revealing a completely normal and healthy alicorn at first sight - until her eyes moved down towards Luna’s flank and she noticed a stylized and very familiar mark of a sun. “But that’s… you…” She turned to Celestia, looking at the other Princess’ still covered body, too afraid to ask.

Celestia nodded, unclasping her own cloak with her mouth, revealing the silver crescent moon cutie mark on her light pink fur. “We seem to have…” She shuddered. “I lost control of the sun.”

Twilight stared at them for a moment with wide eyes, whispering to herself. “It swapped your cutie marks… b-but that doesn’t make any sense! We triple-checked the spell, the only way it could have done that is if…” She blinked rapidly a few times, then started to giggle, several strands of her mane springing out as it turned into a full-blown fit of laughter.

“Um Twilight… you remember that one query we had before casting the spell?I think we just answered it…” Starlight stared in shock as she sat down hard, bringing a hoof to her head and began to laugh “It did work! Starswirl’s spell worked perfectly, and no pony ever even knew!”

Twilight took several deep breaths, nearly hyperventilating before she managed to calm down again. “Well, there is good news Princesses. We already know exactly what happened. And we fixed it. Kind of.” She gave them a slightly manic grin, face frozen as she slowly tipped over like a goat, everything going dark for her.

“Twilight!” “Twilight Sparkle!”