• Published 30th Nov 2016
  • 3,078 Views, 587 Comments

Memoir of Misery - Silvak



With her memories returning, Sapphire has to endure the mystery of why she is receiving visions of monsters that Equestria never seen before, as she continues to try to make a new life for herself while searching for her old one.

  • ...
7
 587
 3,078

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter LVI: Mirror (unedited)

”I still say this is a horrible idea, Runic.”

“Is there any other choice? The dreamless sleep spell has its limits, and there may come a time when there isn’t anypony around that can cast that spell, Rift. Furthermore, this could help us regain our numbers.”

“That would take decades, Runic, time we don’t have with the remaining Beasts still after us. And she’s barely a teenager, you should at least wait until she’s a full grown mare. Back me up on this, Steel.”

“I... I think you’re both right, but we’re ignoring the very filly whose fate we’re talking about. I think we should ask her what she wants, not just bicker among ourselves over it. Especially since she’s right there.”

“...Sapphire? What are you doing there, and how much did you heard?”

“Enough... I guess. So that’s why there haven’t been many foals...”

“...Sapphire, you should go back to sleep, this isn’t something you ne-“

“I’m willing to do it.”

“Sapphire, this isn’t something to take you take lightly. You already have enough on your plate with your training and later on fighting the Beasts, you don’t have to do this. You’re sti—“


“Hello! Welcome to the land of the dreaming this time!” Veritas states as she was taking on the form of a cat that was sitting down on some pony’s head. Blinking in surprise, Sapphire let out a groan as she took a look at the surroundings.

“Even in my sleep the crown torments me,” Sapphire crumbled as she found herself in the Canterlot throne room, with a row of faceless ponies lined up before her as she was seated on Celestia’s throne.

“Planning on usurping Celestia? My my, I didn’t knew you had it in you. And here I thought your greatest ambition was just to own an pie factory,” Veritas stayed with a giggle, prompting Sapphire to glare at her.

“Did you had to bother me? I was moments away from finding out something important about my past!” Sapphire yelled, anger clear on her face.

“Really? You overcome one of your nightmares and uncovered a pile of your memories, and you still want more? I doubt you have gone over the fine details of all of them,” Veritas replied as she was scratching one of her ears with a hind leg.

Staring at what Veritas did, Sapphire said, “Why are you doing that? You’re a mental construct from my mind, and I don’t do that or even feel the need to do that.”

Smirking, Veritas countered, “Then maybe you’re in denial about some of your hidden desires. And since you’re here with me, why not admit it can act like the animal that you really are.” Silence reign in the throne room as Sapphire just gave Veritas a disbelieving stare, prompting her to shrug as she said, “Fine, be that way, but don’t start whining to me about being unable to do your most hidden wants and needs.”

“Veritas, we both know that my only desires are to gorge myself at some feast while living a simple life,” Sapphire countered with a snort. Hopping off the throne, Sapphire simply walked past Veritas and the lead pony, heading towards the exit as she said, "I'm not going to engage in these mind games of yours, Veritas. Either tell me why you're here, or get lost so I can try to make this dream enjoyable."

"Fine, I'll tell you why I'm here. I'm here to take a cat nap on your soft head!" Veritas replied before jumping onto Sapphire's head. As the mare felt her eye twitching, Veritas spun about a couple times before lying down on her head with a purr.

Looking up at the ceiling in annoyance, Sapphire said, "I swear, I'm going to have Luna te—"

"Oh, and I'm going to have a talk to you about your past, particularly, your history with mirrors," Veritas interjected, causing Sapphire to frown.

"A... history with mirrors? This got to be some kind of joke. What, you're saying that I'm obsessed with mirrors?" Sapphire asked, as she was just one step away from seeing if hurling Veritas at the wall would harm her or not.

"Oh no, you don't have that kind of arrogance, nor the luxury of posing in front of mirror for your own amusement. No, mirrors are something that you need to learn quite a bit about, cause some would say that they're doorways to another world, or show you reflections of yourself. Reflections that you could use as a visual aid, or as some kind of confidant to talk to if you lack the ability to get one, or even something you fear for the thought that your reflection is another you waiting for the chance to replace you,” Veritas replied, causing Sapphire to furrow her eyebrows.

“That wasn’t an answer to my question,” Sapphire stated with a stomp of her hoof. “I told you that I’m done with your games, so give me a straight answer already or just get lost.”

Rolling her eyes, Veritas said, “Fine, I tell you what I can. First off, you don’t have a secret obsession with mirrors nor your own reflection. But I do know that mirrors hold some kind of link to you. Beyond that, I have nothing else to say until you recover more of your memories, or perhaps the memory that is connected to mirrors. Regardless, they hold some importance regardless since they represent your memories, serving as gateways into them. Yet, they had also interfered with your mind as well.”

“Interfered? What are you... the nightmares... a set of memories slowed Luna down when she was chasing after me when... Mayhem’s claw grabbed me,” Sapphire replied as her pupils widen with realization.

“As well as that fight with the beast, twice mirrors have served to hamper you. So I suggest some caution when dealing with the mirrors, some might not be something you would like to see,” Veritas warned before hoping off Sapphire’s head to land on one of the faceless ponies.

Frowning in thought, Sapphire gave Veritas a firm look as she said, “Thanks for the warning, but all you have done has me concern about something. You’re no mere mental construct of my mind, you have a playfulness that I don’t have and I believe my past self would have judging by what I remember.” As Veritas turned her head to lay her gaze upon Sapphire, one that made her feel her spine shiver, Sapphire went on as she commented, "And... what would happen to you if I regain all of my memories..."

"That last part, is simple, I would simply cease to exist," Veritas stated in a solemn tone, bringing silence onto the pair as they stared at one another. Eventually, Veritas broke the silence as she added, "But that isn't something that I would be concerned about, nor would I be delaying your recovery of your memories," before she went on to licking one of her paws.

"But why? If what you claim is true, wouldn't you be afraid of the end of your existence?" Sapphire asked as she pointed a hoof at her. "It's like you're letting you end come!"

Letting out a huff of annoyance, Veritas stated, "What you see as an end, I see the start of something new. You have to keep in mind, I'm just a mental construct of your mind, hence even if I stop being present, I'm not gone since I came from you. Besides, there is a compulsion to help you, like it's my purpose here. So not helping you would be counterproductive to my purpose, there go I will strive to aid you, even if it would lead to the end of my existence."

Frowning at that, Sapphire said, "Well... that's just... a bit bleak to hear, I'll admit."

"Hence my chosen style of helping you. If I'm going to go out in the end, I might as well make the journey as enjoyable me as I can," Veritas stated with a smile, causing Sapphire to give her a deadpanned stare.

"And now I feel less bad about the news," Sapphire muttered out with a shake at her head at Veritas's attitude about the whole affair.

Shrugging, Veritas replied, "Eh, no skin off my bones, not like I have any. Unless I become a skeleton, but that's a different story. Anyways, ready for some of my magnificent aid?” before she stood up to give Sapphire a mocking bow.

Giving Veritas a disbelieving stare, Sapphire asked in a mocking tone, “And what may this wonderous form of air do you have to offer?”

“Hmm... it seems that Luna is starting to rub off of you, or maybe it is Rarity. Not like I care in the end. Anyways, this is how I’m going to help you. Look behind you,” Veritas answered as she pointed her paw to something behind Sapphire.

Raising an eyebrow as she noticed that the paw was angled to indicate that the object behind her was taller than her, Sapphire turned her head around to see that there was a mirror placed right behind her. Stepping away from the mirror as she turned around, Sapphire asked, “What the? Did you summoned this mirror here, and why?”

“Why, to help you of course. To be more specific, this memory will lead you to a part of your mind that you would never be able to get to if you were with Luna,” Veritas stated with a smirk.

“The alicorn, who guards the dream realm and was able to bring me to where my memories reside, unable to help me with getting there?” Sapphire replied with a skeptical look plastered on her face.

Rolling her eyes, Veritas countered, “There are some things in your mind that you don’t know of, yet. They’re not the kind of places these princesses would have thought of checking. Besides, who better to show you a way there than something born from your very mind? So, are you going to go through it or not?”

Eyeing the mirror with wariness in her stance, Sapphire glances at Veritas as she asked, “And how do I know if this is a safe transit or a trap for you to keep me imprison in my own mind.”

Shrugging, Veritas responded, “Considering that you don’t fully trust me, there is nothing I can do to probe that you’ll be safe. So you just have to decide if you want to take the risk or not.”

Frowning at that, Sapphire glanced at the mirror, where she noticed that its frame had a design of chains on it, that connected to stones that appeared to have runes carved into it. Pointing at the frame, Sapphire declared, “If that doesn’t say ‘It’s a trap’, then nothing does.”

Slamming a paw onto her face that it produced an audible thump that echoed through the room, Veritas stated, “If it was a trap, then it wouldn’t have something that would have gave it away. The frame just indicates what kind of place you’ll be growing through once you stepped into the mirror. I know it looks ominous, but it’s still something related to your past. So you will have to chose whether or not you want to take the risk.”

Glancing at the mirror for a moment, Sapphire said, “And what if something happens in there that puts my life, or my mind, in danger?”

“Just like the time I helped you when you first encountered Mayhem, I will do all I can to either help you overcome the threat, or to escape it if need be,” Veritas answered. “But one last word of advice to you, even on another world, your past can still haunt you in ways you wouldn’t expect. Well, until you recover certain crucial pieces of your memory. So, as he frame suggests, be careful in there.”

Blinking at the rare show of concern from Veritas, Sapphire nodded as she gingerly tried to step into the mirror. Seeing her hoof passing through the mirror, Sapphire felt her spine shiver as she sends some kind of dread from her leg. Looking at Veritas, who was frowning yet nodding at her, Sapphire gulped as she pressed on, stepping into the mirror to where she was greeted with darkness.

PreviousChapters Next