• Published 30th Nov 2016
  • 3,078 Views, 587 Comments

Memoir of Misery - Silvak



With her memories returning, Sapphire has to endure the mystery of why she is receiving visions of monsters that Equestria never seen before, as she continues to try to make a new life for herself while searching for her old one.

  • ...
7
 587
 3,078

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter XXIV: Return

"Four days?! How is a break that lasts only four days a vacation?!"

"Well, the princesses are very busy with their duties, so getting time off for themse—"

"It was under the guise of a royal visit."

"Exactly princess. Royal visits can only last so long, princess," Foggy explained as Sapphire grumbled to herself in annoyance. It was two days after the cruise with Silver when Sapphire received a letter that called for her to return to Canterlot. The first day of the two was spent touring the Pear family farm, which ended with a feast of every kind of pear dish that can be made, presented by the rather large Pear family. The second day was spent with some ceremonies that Sapphire begrudgingly attended, with the exception of a visit to an elementary school, where Sapphire had to resist the urge to hug all the cute foals to death while they looked at her in awe.

"Whatever. But she better not expect me to attend any parties with some nobles, otherwise I may lose my temper and punt the more annoying ones off Canterlot," Sapphire finally said as she folded her hooves over her chest.

"That might actually go in her favor, princess," Foggy replied, causing Sapphire to raise an eyebrow at that.

"Okay... then I'll think up of some way to throw a surprise party in Celestia's bedroom in the middle of the night with the most annoying nobles Canterlot has," Sapphire stated, causing Foggy to become a bit nervous, drawing her attention to him. "What?!"

"Well princess, you're starting to worry me, especially since we did had the Nightmare Moon incident a few months... ago..." Foggy replied, slowing down as Sapphire gave him a deadpan expression.

"Foggy, if I went and did something like that, then that would be the biggest news for months, if not years. The kind of attention is something I don't want," Sapphire countered as the train arrived at the station. "Furthermore, I don't want to be banished to the moon for a thousand years, since that means I won't be eating anything but moon rocks."

"You do have a point princess, but wouldn't you be banished to the bottom of the seas since you're the alicorn of water?" Foggy responded as Sapphire got off of her seat, only for her to stare at him. "Yeah... stupid question. My apologies, princess."

Shaking her head, Sapphire stated, "Let's just get off this train and into the castle... and see if Midnight can wake up to help us this time."


"It was an honor to serve you, your majesty," Foggy said as he, a few guards, the snoring Midnight, and Sapphire were standing right outside the castle doors.

"Yeah... I appreciate your devotion to your duties as my bodyguard, Foggy, and I wish you more success in your future," Sapphire replied with an awkward grin as she was just trying to slap together a proper reply. Thankfully for her, Foggy just smiled as he saluted before one of the unicorn guards opened the doors, to which Sapphire suddenly felt a pair of hooves grabbing her before dragging her inside. Before Sapphire could let out a cry of alarm, a thermometer was jabbed into her mouth as she felt her wings being outstretched as a measuring tape was placed along them.

"Hmm... yes! Her wingspan has been increased by one inch!" cried a black pegasus stallion with a dark blue mane and was wearing a lab coat.

"Hmm... are you measuring from the tips of her feathers or from where her bones end? It may be possible that she was regrowing her feathers and that is what caused the increase in her wingspan," Clear Heart replied as she was casted a scanning spell on Sapphire while the guards outside just stared at the scene before them. Sapphire was about to open her mouth to ask her something only for Clear to push her hoof against Sapphire's jaw to keep it shut. "Not now princess, you will hold your questions back until this examination is over with."

Blinking in surprise, Foggy asked, "Umm... what are you all are doing?" as Sapphire's eyes looked around after hearing Foggy's question, spotting the other ponies that were dressed either in a doctor's outfit or a lab coat, taking notes as they all observe Clear and the pegasus's actions.

"Isn't it obvious? We're taking further medical examinations of Sapphire," Clear explained before she tugged out the thermometer from Sapphire's mouth, much to her irritation. "Hmm... temperature hasn't changed."

Growing more annoyed with the examination, Sapphire lit her horn up as she grabbed the pair with her magic, lifting them into the air as she demanded, "Just what are you two doing‽"

"Ain't it obvious? Once we had gotten confirmation that you're an alicorn like the princesses, we just have to give you another examination!" cried out the pegasus as he grinned at her. "This is a once in a lifetime opportunity! Or is it once in a century kind? Maybe era?"

"What Sky Vial is saying is that since you are likely to grow and become comparable with the princesses in size and magic, so we have to take recordings of your various stages of growth while we still can. Alicorn biology possess many unknowns since the studies down on the royal sisters were limited due to the methods available," Clear answered as Sky gave an excited nod to before resuming his measurements.

Taking on a flat look, Sapphire stated, "I don't know which is worse, being a princess or being this," causing the observers to stare at her like she grew a second head.

"Oh, don't be that way. Besides, this would help give us much-needed data that could be applied to improving your overall health, since you still have traces of that foreign substance in you. Though it does seem that there is a slight decrease in them since the last recording," Clear clarified before Sky measured Sapphire's height, making her stand up straight by shifting her body around with his hooves.

"And the princess's height... has grown by a quarter of an inch! She is indeed growing!" Sky declared as the observers gave him an applause.

Her left eye twitching, Sapphire thought to herself, Maybe that Nightmare Moon idea isn't that bad after all...


After an hour of being examined, which included being dragged into the medical wing for further observations, Sapphire was directed into the dining room since it was close to lunchtime. Upon entering the room, Sapphire could see that both Celestia and Cadance were sitting down, along with Blueblood who was giving Sapphire a look of utter contempt. Spotting Celestia, Sapphire was about to give her an earful when she spotted the rather large assortment of food that was conveniently placed in front of an empty seat, causing her to eye it before looking at Celestia with some suspicion. Celestia on the other hoof, just gave her a kind smile as she said, "Ah, you have finally arrived Sapphire. Please, take a seat and have lunch with us. I already had the chefs prepare you a meal that I hoped would be to your liking."

Giving Celestia a questioning stare, Sapphire kept her silence as she simply walked over to the empty seat that was on Cadance's left yet opposite of Celestia. Blueblood, fortunately for Sapphire, was sitting on Celestia's left. Sitting down, Sapphire replied, "I know what you're doing," as she idly started to stuff some lettuce into her mouth.

Raising an eyebrow while keeping her smile, Celestia responded, "Oh? And what pray tell am I doing? I'm just making certain that my fellow alicorn is happy after her long train ride home," as she kept her amused smile while Sapphire got to work on some roasted corn.

Sapphire was about to say something after finishing her corn when Blueblood said, "Must you really eat at such a pace? It is so unbecoming for a princess to do so," while lifting his muzzle up into the air in disgust.

As Cadance and Sapphire glared at Blueblood, Celestia sighed as she replied in a stern tone, "Nephew, please don't antagonize Sapphire. This is a private meal, so she can eat and talk in any fashion she so desires." Realizing that he might have crossed a line, Blueblood lowered his head as he simply nodded, before averting his eyes from the angry Sapphire as she was now munching on some celery sticks. Returning her attention to Sapphire, Celestia smiled once more as she asked, "So, how was your trip to Vanhoover Sapphire?"

"More work and less resting than I thought for a vacation. I was either on some kind of tour or demonstration, or I was being dragged into some kind of celebration," Sapphire bitterly answered before she moved onto a bowl of apples.

Frowning in disappointment, Cadance said, "I'm sorry to hear that Sapphire. I was hoping you would be able to relax after all the stress you’ve been having lately, but it seems like things didn't turn out for the best."

"Indeed, hence I have decided that unless you desire otherwise, you may have a week of no duties. No lessons to be taught, or no ceremonies that you have to attend. Consider this a chance to refresh yourself in any way you desire," Celestia declared. This caused Sapphire to do a double take as she stared at Celestia, wondering if she was some sort of imposter and the real Celestia was stashed in some closet in the castle.

"Really? No secret plans or hidden intentions behind this?" Sapphire asked as she gave Celestia a skeptical look.

Rolling her eyes in amusement, Celestia answered, "Yes, this as some ponies would say, a ‘no strings attached’ kind of offer. You may lounge about in the castle, doing as you please. As long as it doesn't interfere with other ponies work that is. Though I do apologize for Clear's and Sky's sudden examination upon your entry into the castle, those two were just too excited to take no for an answer."

"Uh huh... well... I'll take you up on that offer then. I will admit, it would be nice to actually kick back and relax for a bit before you throw me into some beast-cursed assignment again," Sapphire replied as she started eating a pineapple, before noticing her companions' looks of confusion. "What? Is something on my nose?" Sapphire asked as she crossed her eyes to look at it.

"No... there's nothing on your face... but don't you realize what you just said?" Celestia replied as Cadance leaned over closer to Sapphire.

Looking up at the ceiling in thought, Sapphire eventually shrugged her shoulders as she said, "Not really. Can somepony explain to me what is going on?"

This time, it was Cadance who spoke as she said, "Sapphire... you used the term 'beast-cursed', which is a phrase that I don't think anypony would ever use in any kind of context."

Staring at Cadance for a moment, Sapphire turned to Celestia who nodded in confirmation that Cadance was indeed speaking the truth. This prompted Sapphire to reply, "Huh... I didn't even notice that..."

Rubbing her chin, Celestia stated, "That only makes this more curious than before. You clearly used that term in a rather regular fashion, meaning that you must have used it several times in the past. But that specific wording... 'beast-cursed', for it to be used regularly means that the word 'beasts' have some kind of significant meaning behind it, and that it is linked to your past. Furthermore, this means that your past might be leaking out into your word choice, so I suggest that you be more observant with what you say. If you pick up any other strange oddities in your words, these could be clues that can be used to unlock more of your memories."

Nodding in response as she stuffed an avocado into her mouth, much to Blueblood's annoyance, Sapphire looked down at the table as she thought, I can't believe that I actually have my own set of phrases... or is it really my own and not something that I picked up from somepony that I once knew? And beasts... Celestia is right, that word seems oddly familiar to me, but why? Just what happened in my past that makes that word so... disturbing to me to use it in that way?

PreviousChapters Next