• Published 30th Nov 2016
  • 3,077 Views, 587 Comments

Memoir of Misery - Silvak



With her memories returning, Sapphire has to endure the mystery of why she is receiving visions of monsters that Equestria never seen before, as she continues to try to make a new life for herself while searching for her old one.

  • ...
7
 587
 3,077

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter LX: Hiding (unedited)

“So, got rid of that crazy mare yet?”

"If only I can, Pinkie still hasn't found a trace of her yet, and she even went as far as to set up a trap. Though... I doubt Moonlit will fall for a pie that is beneath a wooden box propped up by a stick," Sapphire said before letting out a sigh as she stuffed a hayfry into her mouth. Looking around, Sapphire only saw ponies milling about inside Hayburger, some who were just staring at her in utter surprise since they never expected a princess to be at a Hayburger of all places. Seated at a table with Rainbow directly across from her, Sapphire was having three triple hayburgers with a strawberry shake and with a large bag of hayfries, while Rainbow simply had a double hayburger with a side of hayfries.

"I still can't believe that mare actually disappeared after jumping into that bush! I mean, I only thought Pinkie should do something like that! And maybe Skyward since he acts like her. I'm starting to wonder if these other clans are filled with weirdos... umm... no offense," Rainbow stated as she took another bite of her hayburger.

"None taken, since the representatives that I meant so far all aren't exactly what you call normal. Though, I can't say much since one of my combat teachers started out my training with her by hitting me with her war hammer," Sapphire replied as she took a massive bite of her own burger that took a third of it, which caused Rainbow to shiver at the mare’s appetite.

“Do you think she’s actually watching you still, or she finally got bored of watching you relaxing?” Rainbow asked as she refrained from eating her meal for a bit.

“I would love to say that she did got bored, but sometimes I could just feel like somepony was watching me. That and I swear that she plucked a hair from my tail when I wasn’t looking. But to think, it’s been a few days and the only signs of her was when she picked up food from the farmers market when Big Mac was behind the Apple stall,” Sapphire responded as she was about to put some fries in her mouth when her eyes narrowed as the feeling of being watched came upon her. Glancing around, Sapphire didn’t caught a hint of Moonlit, causing her to snort in frustration as she returned her attention to her meal.

Cocking an eyebrow at Sapphire, Rainbow asked, “What is going on? Is that crazy mare back to stare at you?”

"I don't know, but it feels like she is, or maybe she was all the time and she did something to alert me to her presence..." Sapphire answered as she gave one last glance at the area before sitting down. Rainbow, however, narrowed her eyes as she looked around, scrutinizing the restaurant and whatever laid outside the windows. Sighing, Sapphire said, "I doubt you’ll be able to find her either, Rainbow.”

“Hey, just because you couldn’t spot her doesn’t mean I can’t!” Rainbow countered while beating a hoof against her chest. As Sapphire was letting out another sigh, Rainbow straighten up as she sat on her seat like a hawk, swinging turning her head left and right as she kept a lookout for Moonlit.

“Any sign of her?” Sapphire asked in a halfhearted tone, knowing that what Rainbow was doing was utterly futile.

After a few more seconds of searching, Rainbow deflated as she said, "No, there's no signs of that pest of a unicorn... but can't you just send a letter to Princess Celestia to get some of the Royal Guard to go out on the hunt for her?"

Shaking her head, Sapphire replied, "No, I can't do that. It would be uprooting the lives of the ponies living in Ponyville, along with the chance of ruining a few ponies' gardens. As long as Moonlit is just watching me, I'll just wait her out until I return to Vanhoover. Then my guard could use finding and arresting Moonlit as a training exercise."

"But aren't they new? I doubt that they'll find her on the first day... no offense," Rainbow said with a shrug.

"They are, but hey, they got to eventually find her and then capture her... unless she's heard our entire conversation," Sapphire stated as she looked at the windows, with Rainbow mirroring her.

"I don't think she can hear through windows and pick up what we're talking about with all these ponies talking around us," Rainbow pointed out before returning her attention to her meal.

"I wish I have confidence... but you're right, she can't hear us from the outside... unless..." Sapphire said as an idea dawned on her, causing her to look up at the ceiling, which brought Rainbow's attention to it.

There, hanging off the ceiling via suction cups attached to her hooves, was Moonlit as she was taking notes with her magic. "Please ignore my presence for the time being. Along with my overhearing of what you're planning for me," Moonlit said in a matter of fact tone.

Sapphire and Rainbow briefly glanced at each other before Rainbow cried out, “Yeah, no way in Tartarus will I let you go!” as she flew up at Moonlit, who simply jumped off the ceiling before Rainbow could get to her. "Hold still shorty!" Rainbow demanded as she turned around to go after her while Sapphire was busy stuffing her face with her food.

"I am not short, I'm just compacted for optimal observation without being detected. Also, thank you for revealing how fast an alien alicorn can eat," Moonlit stated before pulling something from her pack as Sapphire was lighting her horn up with her magic.

"I let you go last time cause I was surprise, but I'm not go—" Sapphire started to say, until Moonlit pulled something out of her pack and threw it onto the ground, causing the entire restaurant to be engulfed in smoke. Coughing as Sapphire let go of her magic and Rainbow coming to a halt, Sapphire waved a wing in front of her face to clear out the smoke until she heard the sound of some of the restaurant's patrons opening the front doors, causing the smoke to flow out of the building.

Rainbow, on the other hoof, darted out of the restaurant and flew above, scanning he area before throwing her hooves up into the air as she yelled, “Augh! How the buck did that mare got away from us?! What, is she some kind of ninja?!”

Walking out of the front doors while coughing a bit, Sapphire replied, “I don’t know, but since she could avoid the likes of Pinkie Pie, I’m not surprised that she eluded us too. Also, what’s a ninja?”

Facehoofing with both forehooves, Rainbow let out a groan as she said, “I’ll explain it later.” As Sapphire tilted her head in confusion, Rainbow muttered to herself, “Should have seen that coming.”


"You're sure your animals would find Moonlit if she tried to stalk me by coming to your home?"

"Well, they wouldn't like it if a stranger were to come walking up to my home... much less a pony that is trying to sneak around as well. But... is that why you came to pay me a visit?" Fluttershy asked, as she and Sapphire where having some tea together. Shortly after having her lunch with Rainbow, Sapphire decided to pay Fluttershy a visit, leading to them sitting together in Fluttershy's living room, sitting around a table as the wildlife that Fluttershy took care of roamed about around them. With the exception of Angel Bunny, who was sitting on a pile of pillows while staring at Sapphire with open hostility, to which Sapphire was doing her best to ignore.

"What? No, I'm just asking cause I don't want that crazy mare sneaking up on us and spooking you. I mean, she was hanging off the ceiling when Rainbow and I were having lunch together. I just don't want to find her hiding in your closet," Sapphire answered, before glancing at the doorways as well as the ceiling for any sign of Moonlit. Letting out a sigh of relief, Sapphire continued, "I'm starting to wonder how many times that mare was arrested for doing these kind of things."

“I don’t think she means to hurt ponies. I just think that she is just really excited about her work and just pours her all into it,” Fluttershy replied, before lowering her head a bit when Sapphire gave her a disbelieving look. “I mean, she might just be a bit too passionate in her work to think about how other ponies feel about it...”

"Then that mare needs to learn that there is such as a thing as too much passion," Sapphire stated as she folded her forelegs over her chest with a huff. "I already have enough proble—no you don't!" Sapphire started to say until Angel pulled out a carrot to throw at her plate. Grabbing the carrot with her magic, Sapphire looked at Fluttershy as she asked, "Why does your pet bunny despise me so much?"

"Angel, don't be mean to Sapphire! You still need to apologize for the time you spilled hot tea on her!" Fluttershy yelled, or rather said loudly, as she took on a bit of an angry look, surprising Sapphire as she leaned back a bit with a raised eyebrow. As Angel let out some squeaky protest while waving his forelegs about, Fluttershy's glare hardened as she continued, "Look, she might be sitting on your seat, but she's on vacation and having a hard time already. So apologize for your behavior."

As Angel kept up his protest, Sapphire rolled her eyes as she said, "Umm... Fluttershy, I don't think you can get your... pet to actu—" Sapphire started to say until she backed away from surprise as Fluttershy's glare shifted into something she never saw before. "Fluttershy... what are you doing?" Sapphire croaked out as she averted her gaze to avoid seeing the intense stare the normally timid pegasus had, while Angel himself had his ears folded against the back of his head as he stared in terror at his owner's eyes.

"Angel, you apologize to Sapphire for what you did, and you will give her a hug to show that you mean it," Fluttershy ordered. Nodding rapidly, Angel let out a few squeaks before hoping over to Sapphire, where he clutched onto Sapphire's foreleg in some kind of attempt at hugging her.

"Okay... that was just... creepy," Sapphire muttered out under her breath, which Fluttershy didn't heard as she just smiled at the pair.

"See, that wasn't so hard, Angel," Fluttershy said as her gaze returned to normal, allowing both Angel and Sapphire to look at the mare, the former with some fear in his eyes, while the latter was surprised.

Shaking her head clear of what just happened, Sapphire asked, "Fluttershy, just what was that thing you did with your eyes there?"

Shifting her attention to Sapphire, Fluttershy's eyes widen as she said, "Oh! I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to use that on you. I just remembered that time where you were in pain from the hot tea, and I didn't want it to happen again. I guess I used my Stare on accident when I was trying to get Angel to apologize to you.

"I see... but a little wa—" Sapphire started to say until somepony interrupted her by knocking on Fluttershy's front door.

"Umm... hello? Who are y—" Fluttershy said before coming to a pause as Moonlit was standing in front of the door with a magnifying glass in her magic.

Rushing to the door as Fluttershy stared at the mare in surprise, Sapphire lunged at the mare only for Moonlit to step aside, causing Sapphire to crash face first into the dirt. Ignoring the alicorn that nearly attacked her, Moonlit walked straight up to Fluttershy, coming face to face despite the mare's attempt to back away from the mare. "Yellow pegasus, your eyes hold a mysterious power. Something that needs to be studied for the greater good of ponykind. Hence, I wish for you to give me one of your eyes for study."

"You... you want me... to give you... an... eye..." Fluttershy said in utter shock before her eyes rolled up in her head as she fainted due to the imagery of what Moonlit had requested her.

Getting up, Sapphire said, "By the moons, Moonlit! You don't go around asking ponies to give you an eye! Nopony in their right mind would even try to oblige that quest."

Looking at Sapphire for a brief moment as a carrot bounced off the back of her head, Moonlit said, "Very well then, I shall take my leave." Before Sapphire could lit her horn, Moonlit pulled some round object from her saddlebags, causing a sudden flash that blinded Sapphire for a moment.

Shaking her head as she waited for her vision to clear, upon being able to see again, Sapphire looked around to see that Moonlit have escaped again, causing her to roar to the sky, "Luna damn that mare!"

PreviousChapters Next