• Published 30th Nov 2016
  • 3,060 Views, 587 Comments

Memoir of Misery - Silvak



With her memories returning, Sapphire has to endure the mystery of why she is receiving visions of monsters that Equestria never seen before, as she continues to try to make a new life for herself while searching for her old one.

  • ...
7
 587
 3,060

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter XLII: Guard

"Foggy Skies? What are you doing here?"

"I'm here as one of your newest officers of your new personal guard!" Foggy stated with a salute. He was wearing what looked to be a standard Royal Guard armor that was simply painted blue.

"This has to be a joke. Please tell me this is some kind of prank your sister set up Luna," Sapphire said as she looked at Luna, who simply raised an eyebrow at the scene before her. It was the next day, where after Luna finished dealing with the griffon delegation, the duo were now waiting at the train station for the recruits to arrive. However, upon their arrival, Sapphire was surprised by Foggy's appearance since he was a member of Celestia's guard.

"No, my sister wouldn't send one of her soldiers here just to play a prank on you," Luna replied with a shake of her head before turning her attention towards Foggy while eying the ponies that were leaving the train, all who weren't armored by were walking in. "Though, I think my sister did decide to draw upon members of our own guards to serve as the first officers in your new one, Sapphire. Having fully trained soldiers will help continue the rest of your guard's training, along with the aid of the two guards we have on hoof already."

Sighing at Luna's revelation, Sapphire turned to Foggy, asking, "So, are you the superior officer here, or is there someone else in command?"

"Oh no, I'm just a corporal. The 'captain' of the guard is the most experienced officer among us, who is just over there," Foggy stated as he pointed a hoof at another pony, a faded blue coated unicorn mare with a short magenta mane that was dressed in Royal Guard armor that was painted blue.

Saluting me, the mare said, "Your majesty, Lieutenant Cobalt Star, a former member of the Royal Guard that had served with them for seven years, ready to serve," as she looked at Sapphire with her violet eyes.

"Okay... while I know some of the reasons why Foggy joined my guard, mind telling me why you transferred your services to my guard?" Sapphire asked as she eyed the rest of her guard, seeing that there was a balance between all the three tribes in them, but actually had a few thestrals mixed in as well.

"Simple, your majesty. I have joined your guard for a few reasons. I have some family in Vanhoover, and Captain Shining Armor recommended that I take the post due to being more adaptable to random situations. Furthermore, I have served in the position of drill sergeant before, so I would be able to help train your new guards into the kind of soldier that you want them to be," Cobalt answered, remaining in salute.

Noting Cobalt's rigid position, Sapphire sighed as she said, "Cobalt, you don't have to be saluting me until I tell you to stand down. A simple short salute would be enough for me."

"Just paying you the respect you deserve, your majesty," Cobalt stated as she lowered her hoof, before turning towards Luna as she gave her a bow. Returning her attention to Sapphire, Cobalt stated, "Madam, as you have possibly noticed with the appearance of our current armor, your guard is currently lacking a proper uniform. Whether it is as armored as the Royal Guard or more for the simpler uniform worn by a city's police force, you would have to be the one to choose what that uniform would be."

Turning to look at Luna, Sapphire asked, "Is that really necessary? I mean, couldn't I just have some armorer come up with a new design and just go with that instead?"

Rolling her eyes, Luna replied, "Things can't be that simple for a princess, Sapphire. Your guard will be an extension of your authority, so you must choose what kind of appearance they would have. They will be your representatives to the common ponies in terms of defending, hence whatever design their armor may have will be seen as an extension of you. Simply ignoring this could lead to them wearing something that would make them appear weak, or bare one of the most frightening armors ever seen, which would cause ponies to fear you as a result."

Groaning, Sapphire put her face into her forehooves as she said, "Fine, fine, I'll figure something out... but please tell me that I don't have to come up with the design myself?" before she lifted her head to look at Cobalt with a pleading look.

"Of course not, your majesty. Several designs have been drawn up by premiere armorers from across Equestria. I will spend the day getting your guard into their quarters along with finding the nearest suitable training grounds before I get you the preliminary drafts, to give you some time to think over on what you want your guard to be. That is, if you don't have need of me for the day, princess," Cobalt stated with a bow.

Resisting the urge to sigh, Sapphire said, "I don't have any plans for you for the time being, Lieutenant Cobalt, so see to my guard for the day as I discuss some matters with Princess Luna." After watching Cobalt raise her head before turning to the recruits, Sapphire shifted her attention to Luna to whisper, "I know you're all for the image of a strong princess and the like, but you do know that I have no idea on how to figure this out."

Cocking an eyebrow, Luna countered, "But did you not live with Rarity for a time? A pony that I recall was a fashion designer?"

"Yes, but that doesn't mean that I know about fashion. And don't you dare bring up my fashion model career, as short as it was," Sapphire said with gritted teeth as she smiled at the troops that were bowing to her before making their leave.

Snorting, Luna said, "Then if you don't have any ideas on how to approach this situation presently, then perhaps we should look to the past for inspiration?"

"...Did you really have to be as vague as your sister with that comment?"


"Wait a moment, you two went looking for me in order to find some piece of Sapphire's past that would inspire her to figure out what kind of armor style she would want for her own personal guard? Do you know how convoluted, as well as just outright silly, that plan is?" Veritas asked as she shook her head while appearing as a bunny.

"For the record, it was her plan, not mine," Sapphire replied as she pointed a hoof at Luna, who merely shook her head in amusement.

Placing a paw against her own head, Veritas stated, "That doesn't matter, but since you two are actually trying to search Sapphire's memories for some answer, I'll just make a recommendation instead: go with the most effective armor that you can find. Appearances are just for those that want to show off or go for intimidation. Just go for something that would protect your minions the most and go from there."

"Hmm.. that is actually some good adv—did you just call my guard 'minions'?" Sapphire asked as she narrowed her eyes at Veritas before taking a couple steps towards her.

"Yeah, minions. I mean, aren't they the kind of ponies that would just follow your every word to the point that if you tell them to jump off a bridge, they would do that?" Veritas countered with a shrug.

"There is no member of the Royal Guard nor the Night Guard that would do such a thing, naive," Luna stated with an angry snort.

"Eh, from seeing how Foggy Skies was, it doesn't take much to notice how devoted they are to Sapphire. But if you want to keep thinking that way, be my guest," Veritas replied as she gestured with her paw to tell Luna to back away. "Anyways, I have a brilliant idea for speeding up Sapphire's recovery of her memories, specifically the ones about her getting trained."

"And what, pray tell, would that be? Are you going to suggest that she spend another session with you finding more of her memories without my supervision?" Luna asked as she loomed over Veritas.

"What? No. I was actually going to suggest that you two should fight each other. Though in Sapphire's case, it would be you beating the living daylights out of her. But hey, maybe she will recall a couple of techniques that would slow down your process of rearranging her face," Veritas answered as she folded her forelegs over her chest.

As Sapphire was about to make a retort, Luna raised her head up as she responded, "That... might actually be a good idea. We never really tested Sapphire's combat capabilities beyond the moment that I threw an object at both her and Cadance, so a training session that would explore the limits of her magic and her body could lead to some new memories as well as a better understanding of Sapphire's manipulation of water. Perhaps a duel the day after Sapphire's has finally selected her guards' uniform would an opportune time for the fighting to begin."

"Hey, wait, don't I get a say on that?" Sapphire asked as she looked back and forth between the two.

"Wow, I was partly joking with that statement, but hey, at least Sapphire would be more motivated to strengthen herself for a rematch against you, Luna," Veritas stated as she started to hop away.

"Wait a moment, Veritas," Sapphire stated as she followed after the bunny. "I demand that you show me more of what you know. It doesn't take too much to figure out that you know more about me than you would really care to admit. I demand some answers from you about my past, and whatever the shadow and mirror tidbit is supposed to mean?"

Sighing, Veritas turned to look at Sapphire, commenting, "Alright, here's something about your past: you were an alicorn when you were a filly. Now, see you whenever I got some work to do!" before disappearing down some hole that appeared out of nowhere.

"Wait a mi—why do I even bother?!" Sapphire bemoaned as she placed her head into her hooves again.

"Well, that was rather annoying, but at least she might have given us a hint at your potential tastes before she left us," Luna stated as she rubbed her chin in thought. "It makes me wonder if that mare is telling you the truth and that she shared one of your past tastes, or this is just some elaborate plan to trick you into being whatever they wanted you to be."

"Eh, Veritas hasn't done anything dangerous towards me, at least purposely, so I say you should give her the benefit of the doubt for the time being. Though... just how many types of armor that can be effective without it sacrificing protection just for something fancy? Might as well get started now since we're here," Sapphire asked looked up at the ceiling as she started to guess a number.

Shaking her head at Sapphire once more, Luna replied, "That isn't a matter that I can just easily give you the answers for. There are many different styles that you could choose from to be your guard's uniform, with some of them even borrowing ideas from one another. So the best approach to this matter is to simply review the designs that Cobalt will be showing you, though you can reject the styles that are for appearances only if you so desire."

"Figures you would say something like that... but at least we narrowed the list down a bit, even if it was probably just a couple of designs," Sapphire bemoaned before staring at the mass of mirrors shards before her. She then thought about just how many things that have been piling up for her lately, that she wondered if this would have been the death of her if she wasn't an immortal alicorn, assuming that they are immortal in the first place.

PreviousChapters Next