• Published 30th Nov 2016
  • 3,076 Views, 587 Comments

Memoir of Misery - Silvak



With her memories returning, Sapphire has to endure the mystery of why she is receiving visions of monsters that Equestria never seen before, as she continues to try to make a new life for herself while searching for her old one.

  • ...
7
 587
 3,076

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter II: Home

"I just... what pony would need a fridge this big for just one pony‽"

"Umm... I would?"

"But this fridge is built to hold enough food to feed six ponies for two weeks!"

"Which makes it perfect for me!" Sapphire exclaimed with a smile, to which the unicorn stallion right next to her just stared at her before turning his attention to Rarity.

"She is indeed correct. She would need a fridge of this size," Rarity said with an awkward smile, as the stallion returned his attention to Sapphire as he pointed a hoof at her.

"But she's so thin!"

"Yes... it still mystifies me as well," Rarity replied as Sapphire hoofed over the required amount of bits. A few days has past after Sapphire found the house she wanted to live in, and after putting down a down payment of three thousand bits for the house, only for Sapphire to be surprised when the owner happily gave her the key. Rarity explained that the mare probably trusted her since she was friends with Rarity, who herself was known to be a fair and trustworthy pony in Ponyville. Hence they decided to go shopping for the basic necessities after getting the paperwork done for the mortgage and transfer of ownership of the house.

"Okay... now wait here for a moment as I find some mover to bring your fridge to your place of residence," the stallion said after counting the bits before putting them into the cash register.

"Oh, that won't be a problem, I have a cart outside. Just help me get the fridge on board and then I'll be out of your mane," Sapphire responded, as the stallion looked past her to see an empty cart with nopony next to it. Prior to starting the day's shopping, Sapphire and Rarity dropped by Applejack's farm to see if she had a cart they could borrow, which she gladly lent one to them.

"But who's going to pull the cart?"

"I am," Sapphire answered, causing the shop owner to give her a bewildered look before throwing his forehooves into the air.

"You know what, I'm just going to stop questioning this," the stallion complained as he brought the fridge outside, where he and Sapphire lifted it onto the cart before securing it in place. Thanking the shop owner, Sapphire hitched the yoke onto herself before trotting off, pulling the cart without any signs of strain. "...This town just keeps getting weirder and weirder," muttered the stallion as he shook his head at the sight.

"So what do you think I need after the fridge?" Sapphire asked as Rarity trotted alongside her.

"Hmm... since we already covered the bed, dining table and chairs for the dining room, you may want to start furnishing your living room next."

"Okay, that sou—wait, do you see that?" Sapphire asked as she stopped to point a hoof in the direction of Twilight, who was trying to subtly follow Pinkie Pie.

"I believe I do... I wonder what Twilight is up to?"

"Shouldn't we do something about that? It looks awfully suspicious to me."

"Normally I would agree, but when it involves Pinkie, I find it best to leave things be," Rarity replied as she continued on trotting while Sapphire stayed still.

"But, I don't think friends stalk—"

"Remember when you first met Pinkie?" Rarity interjected, receiving a nod from Sapphire in response. "What you saw at the time was just a fraction of the... things Pinkie can do, dear." Shutting her mouth at the memory of Pinkie dashing off so suddenly while producing a dust cloud, Sapphire nodded in acceptance of Rarity's statement as she began to trot as well. "It's good that you saw the light of reason dear, for we don't need two pon..." Rarity continued before she came to a sudden stop, causing Sapphire to do the same as she looked at her in confusion.

"Rarity? Why did you stop?" Sapphire asked.

Blinking, Rarity pointed her hoof at a group consisting of three mares and two stallions near some magazine stand. They were whispering among themselves while looking at Sapphire in awe. "Don't you see those ponies staring at you, dear?"

Following the direction of Rarity's hoof, Sapphire spotted said group, who were now whispering in a more louder and excited fashion. "Yes... I do see th—where are you going?" Sapphire said as Rarity went over to the magazine stall. Following her, Sapphire kept an eye on the group, who were growing even more excited to the point that one of the mares started to sway on her hooves like she was about to faint. Coming to Rarity's side, she saw that she was giving the stand owner a bit as she took some magazine, flipping through the pages rapidly.

"Aha!" Rarity exclaimed when she stopped at a certain page, confusing Sapphire even more.

"Aha? What is going Rarity?" Sapphire asked as she became slightly irked at being left in the dark.

Remaining silent at first, Rarity turned the magazine around to reveal photos of Sapphire from the photo shoot. "Somepony is getting famous," Rarity said in a chirpy tone, causing Sapphire to blink as her eyes darted back and forth between Rarity and the ponies staring at her. As their eyes began sparkling with excitement, realization of the situation before her started to dawn in her mind.

"Oh n—"

"It's Sapphire Rain!"

"The new super model!"

"Can I have your autograph‽"


"I still say one of them tugged out part of my mane."

"Oh, you're just overreacting dear."

"Says the mare that overreacts to a spill on her coat," Sapphire muttered to herself as she used her magic in conjunction with Rarity to move the fridge into the kitchen.

"What was that?" Rarity asked as they set the fridge down into it’s place.

"I said, I definitely felt some ponies pulling at my mane hard enough to rip some of my hair out," Sapphire shot back. Shortly after the group of fans started to shout for autographs, it attracted the attention of other ponies. Soon, several others that had seen the magazines already joined the growing frenzy as they crowded around Sapphire, much to her dismay. After writing out a few autographs in hopes that it would appease the mob, which it didn't, Sapphire decided to high-tail it out of there when she began to feel a few ponies tugging at her mane.

"Regardless, we should be thankful that nopony got run over by your cart. Though I find it surprising that you can actually run that fast while pulling that much weight along."

Shrugging, Sapphire replied, "Well, I do feel a tired after running all the way home, but at least I'm not being swarmed... Do you think this is going to happen to me a lot?" as her face took on an expression of fear.

"Well, I suppose it may happen for a while in Ponyville for the residents, but I'm certain things will calm down eventually. Thankfully, since you’re only going to model every so often, I believe that you won't get too much hassle from it after the public gets used to you," Rarity answered.

"I hope you're right, otherwise I might need to get a wig," Sapphire commented, causing Rarity to roll her eyes at her. Looking around, she could see how sparsely furnished the house was. "Might not be much, but I didn't expect to be able to get a home this soon."

"Oh don't belittle yourself dear, it was only a matter of time till you found a career that would allow you to support yourself," Rarity commented as she looked around. "Though, it would be nice if you could had some drapes or rugs for your home at least. It's quite... drab, to put it kindly."

"Well, I don't have that many bits to spare yet. Especially considering how much I'm going to have to spend on groceries," Sapphire countered with a wry smile.

"Well, if you didn't tell Pinkie to hold off the housewarming party, you would have plenty of food for... a couple days in your case."

"Well, I rather have a party at a decorated home instead of an empty house. Besides, do you want to have a party in a 'drab' abode?" Sapphire replied, causing Rarity to narrow her eyes at her before smirking.

"Touché my dear, it seems like you're building your confidence a bit. Though, are you certain you'll be okay living on your own? I don't recall you cooking many meals back at the boutique."

Shrugging, Sapphire responded, "It's about time that I started to learn to cook for myself beyond the odd meal every so often. Besides, if a fire starts, I can use my magic to put it out."

"Now dear, don't be tempting fate, for she can be a cruel mistress if she desires," Rarity warned as she started to head to the front door. "I would stay longer, but I have some orders that I need to finish up. I do wish that you enjoy your new home dear."

Opening the door for Rarity, Sapphire replied, "Well, since I got some more reading to do, I think I’ll tackle that for now and enjoy my home when it’s complete. Though…” before giving Rarity a hug. “Thank you for letting me stay at your place for all that time.”

Returning the hug, Rarity said, “No, it was a pleasure to have you at my humble abode. While I will miss having you around, I’m happy that you finally have a place to call your own.” Releasing the hug, Rarity stepped outside of the house as she gave a smile to Sapphire. “Just remember dear, you’re always welcome at the Carousel Boutique.”

Smiling back, Sapphire replied, “I will always remember that Rarity. And don’t worry, I won’t be a stranger and stay cooped up here, reading my books.”

“Good to hear, especially since Twilight already has a monopoly on that,” Rarity commented with a wink, causing the two mares to laugh. “Au revoir, Sapphire.”

Tilting her head, Sapphire asked, “‘Au revoir’, what does that mean?”

Tittering to herself, Rarity answered, “Never change, Sapphire. Au revoir means goodbye in Prench, and before you ask, Prench is a foreign language.”

“Ah, au revoir then Rarity.”


“Hmm… so this is where Prench comes from,” Sapphire mumbled to herself as turned a page to one of the many books she had borrowed from Twilight’s library. After Rarity made her leave, Sapphire took one last trip out to Ponyville to gather groceries for herself at the town market, producing several shocks for the farmers at their stalls at the sheer volume of food she bought, along with the cart full of groceries. Even Big Mac, who was manning the Apple Family stall, simply stared in amazement and wonder at Sapphire’s order of thirty apples for herself.

After her grocery run, which she was only bothered by staring fans this time around, Sapphire returned home to put together a meal for herself before deciding to take it easy for the rest of the day by continuing her studies.

“Still, strange for a separate group of ponies to develop a language for themselves,” Sapphire commented to herself as she flipped another page.

“Not as strange as seeing you wasting your time at a place like this.”

“Huh? What the?” Sapphire uttered out as she looked around in confusion after hearing somepony talking to her. “Who said that?” Sapphire asked as she looked about, only to see that there was nopony there. “...Okay… I think it’s just my imagination. I guess after being at the boutique with Rarity so long, I miss having some pony talk to me occasionally,” Sapphire said to herself with a chuckle before returning to her studies.

“You are such a disappointment.”

“Hey, who’s saying that? Answer me!” Sapphire demanded as she looked about in dismay. Receiving silence once more, Sapphire said, “What is going on? Am I going crazy?” before she shook her head, looking down at her book only to gasp at what she saw. On the book she was reading, something appeared. Written over the book’s pages were large purple words that said, ‘You will be nothing more than a failure’.

PreviousChapters Next