• Published 30th Nov 2016
  • 3,078 Views, 587 Comments

Memoir of Misery - Silvak



With her memories returning, Sapphire has to endure the mystery of why she is receiving visions of monsters that Equestria never seen before, as she continues to try to make a new life for herself while searching for her old one.

  • ...
7
 587
 3,078

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter XL: Delegation

"I can't believe that we're meeting a griffon delegation today!" Copper cried as she and a few members of the staff were running around as they were getting the town hall ready for the griffons' arrival.

"What I can't believe is that Luna had to hold this information back until I only have one day... unless she was told to by her sister," Sapphire replied as she sat still while watching the staff run about, setting up decorations such as banners that had her Cutie Mark on them. "Hey, when were those made? I don't recall giving any approval for that."

"It was Luna that ordered their creation, with the statement that you wouldn't permit them until you're actually comfortable being a princess," Copper answered, causing Sapphire to give her a flat look before letting out a sigh.

"Wait, are you suggesting that Luna is trying to usurp your position with this meeting?" Silver asked as she had a servant bring up a mirror as she checked her appearance for the fifth time as she wore a white dress that had silver embroidery.

"Probably not. More like they're doing this just to help me become a better princess. That or they'll just give that out as the reason instead of Celestia just dropping some of her work onto my lap," Sapphire dryly replied.

"I would never imagine that Princess Celestia would think of me as some chore to give to someone else," said an unknown voice, causing everypony's ears to raise up as their turned their heads towards the source. At the open entrance to the throne room, stood three griffons. The rightmost one was armored in plate armor with a sword on its side, standing in a stiff position that reminded Sapphire of the Royal Guard. Meanwhile, the leftmost one was a rather young female griffon dressed in a blue dress with a golden tiara that had a ruby socketed into while the griffon held a rather bored expression. As Sapphire glanced at the female, she looked to have a more hawk styled front instead of the eagle one that she saw from Gilda. Between the two was a male griffon whose front was a falcon, dressed in a black suit with a blue tie. As Sapphire turned her attention towards him, she noticed that some of his feathers were starting to turn gray as the griffon said, "Greetings, Princess Sapphire. I presume that we came at a bad time?"

Staring at the griffon delegation as everypony were turning their attention towards her, Sapphire let out a sigh as she said, "I doubt that there would be a good time, so how about we just go to the dining room for lunch?"


"So... you're the newest princess of Equestria..." the falcon griffon stated as he sat on one side of the table with his companions flanking him.

"Yeah... umm... I don't think anypony told me your names yet," Sapphire replied as she wished that Luna didn't decide to take a break from her daytime activities as she sat across from the griffons with Silver on her left side and Copper on her right.

"Ah, forgive me. The sight of your throne room in chaos threw me off," the falcon griffon said as he stood up. Puffing up his chest, the griffon declared, "I'm Duke Gilfred, and my companions are Sir Gunther of the Storm Claw order and Princess Gernevie, King Giomar's fifth daughter."

Blinking for a moment, Sapphire turned her attention towards Gernevie, who in turn looked back at her before saying in a dry tone, "There is a major difference between us, your highness. Besides, I'm my father's fifth daughter, so I'm lower on the importance scale for the family."

"Nonsense, your highness. You have as much importance as the rest of your sisters," Gilfred countered as Sapphire just stared at the pair until a few maids came in, wheeling in some carts with freshly cooked food on them. This attracted their attention as they caught a familiar scent, where they could see some freshly cooked salmon that was placed before them. "Well... this is a surprise."

As a stack of pancakes was placed before Sapphire, she asked, "What do you mean? I was told that griffons ate meat... and that fish was something that many of them enjoy. Was I misinformed?"

Taking off his helmet before placing it beside him, revealing his head to be similar to an osprey, Gunther answered in a gruff voice, "No... fish is a part of our diet, though we are more surprised that you, the Princess of Water, would allow the cooking of the denizens of your seas, your highness."

Tilting her head as she looked at him in confusion, Sapphire replied, "Umm... what would make you think that way?"

Before Gunther could answer, Gilfred said, "It's just an assumption that with your title of Princess of Water, it would extend to you having dominion over the seas, or at least the North Lunar Ocean. Hence, some griffons assume that you would protect all life in the seas. Apparently, that idea is false, but nevertheless, thank you for the meal, your highness."

As the trio started to dig into their food, Sapphire asked, "So... umm... mind telling me why you're here? I'm unfortunately uninformed for the purpose of your visit, along with the fact that I only learned of your coming just yesterday."

"You haven't been informed?" Gilfred replied as Gernevie rolled her eyes. "We're here to greet you on behalf of King Giomar, ruler of the Western Griffon Kingdom. It is an honor to meet you, and we wish for you to have a long reign, though since you're an alicorn, that’s already a given," Gilfred continued before frowning as he looked down at the table. "Normally, this is the part we bow down, but given the circumstances, I believe we can ignore that if you permit it."

Her ears rising at the fact that there weren't any expectations for her, Sapphire replied, "Ah, that's okay, you don't have to bow to me. How about we just enjoy this meal?" as she got to work on her pancakes.

Shrugging, Gernevie started on her meal as well despite Gilfred eying her for a moment before saying, "Though, we are curious, why have you declared Vanhoover as your seat of power instead of any of the ports in the eastern coast, such as Manehatten or Baltimare? I'm certain that you would’ve had more coastal cities that would pledge their allegiance to you."

While Silver was taking on a look of indignation, Sapphire answered, "Oh, that's because those cities are developed far enough that they wouldn't need my rule. Vanhoover however, is a growing city, and with unexplored land to the west, this would be an opportunity for me to expand Equestria's borders into the unclaimed land as well as possibly starting the rise of a couple more port cities."

"Ah, a noble endeavor. One that could bring new economic opportunities to Equestria that could lead to a boom in its economy, and hopefully more trade between our nations. I believe that you could lead them to an era of prosperity for all," Gilfred stated.

Nodding in agreement, Silver spoke out, "I agree with your sentiment, Duke Gilfred. I, Baroness Clock, am honored to be able to see Vanhoover gain the chance to grow into a city that would rival the magnificence of Canterlot."

As Gernevie let out a snort, Gilfred ignored her as he asked, "Though, if you are planning on expanding Equestria's borders, what are your thoughts on immigration from the Griffon Kingdoms?"

"Imma-what?" Sapphire asked, confused as the trio of griffons stared at her in return.

"Immigration is when ponies, or other beings, leaves their country in order to live in another. In this case, immigration laws haven't prevented any griffons from coming over with the exception of criminals. I believe Duke Gilfred is asking if you would implement any laws in regards to that or not since you would hold greater authority in the affairs of Equestria's western coast, your highness" Copper explained before taking a bite of a salad he was eating.

"Ohh... then it would be a no. I'll just stick to the laws that Celestia and Luna have set up. Though I will say that I will welcome any griffons that would want to live in Vanhoover with open hooves," Sapphire stated as Gilfred smiled and nodded in turn. However, seeing Gernevie rolling her eyes, Sapphire frowned as she asked, "Okay, it appears that Gernevie doesn't want to be here. Mind explaining the situation to me?"

Giving Gernevia a glare as the young princess looked in the other direction, Gilfred answered, "This trip is more of a learning lesson for the princess since there aren't any duties vital to our nation beyond a proper greeting. Though, I am curious about the construction that we saw on the way to the town hall, your highness. I take it that that’s your own castle that’s being constructed?"

Giving a nod as confirmation, Sapphire asked, "Yes... is there a reason why you ask?"

"Oh, I'm just wondering if you would give me a tour of the site? I just wanted to see what steps Equestrians would take in the construction of their castles," Gilfred replied, causing Sapphire to cock an eyebrow at him. "Of course, it wouldn't be a hassle for a princess such as yourself to take her guests on a tour at any place she desires, your highness."

Feeling that something was off with the way Gilfred was acting, Sapphire stated, "I... rather not at this time. I wouldn't want to risk an accident with any of you during the visit. There is also the fact that I wouldn't know how to give a tour, and I wouldn't want to get in way of the workers."

"Ah, I understand, your highness. Though, I do hope in the future that upon my next visit, I would be able to see your castle in all its glory," Gilfred responded.

"Depends on how long it takes, Gilfred, I honestly don't know how long it would take for my castle to be constructed, but I do wonder how long do you plan to visit Vanhoover?" Sapphire asked as she noticed Gernevia raise an eyebrow at Sapphire.

"Oh, our stay will be for a few mere days, nothing more," Gilfred answered before leaning forward as he continued, "Though, I do hear that you're also a mare that has a love for food if the rumors are to be believed. Have you ever considered trying some fish for yourself?"

Frowning, Sapphire looked at the dishes the griffons where having, finding no disgust or desire to even try them. "I... rather pass. Oddly enough, I'm not feeling any desire to eat fish, no offense. Normally, I would just try any kind of food, but I guess that since ponies are herbivores, I don't think fish would be all that appealing to me," Sapphire explained as a thought started to come to mind for her.

"Are you certain? How could you know if you would like this meal or not if you haven't even given it a try?" Gilfred asked. "It could be a delicacy that you never had before. Are you certain that you want to pass up on a chance to try some fish?"

"Hmm... as intriguing as that sounds, I have something better in mind," Sapphire countered, causing Gilfred to lean his head back as he cocked an eyebrow at her. "There is some plant life in the seas, so I wonder which ones of them would be good as food for ponies... I don't know how far Equestrian recipes have gone in terms of the sea, so maybe that is something that I should look into. Thank you for the inspiration, Gilfred."

As the edges of his mouth twitched a bit, Gilfred nodded slowly as he said, "Glad to be of inspiration for you, your highness. I do hope that this does bring some new culinary arts to Equestria, with Vanhoover being the center of it." Silver and Copper then glanced at Sapphire, wondering if she knew the kind of game that Gilfred was trying to play on her. However, Sapphire just continued to dig into her stack of pancakes, all none the wiser to Gilfred's little schemes. Though, she did have a feeling that something was wrong, though that only made her wonder if the pancakes were a bit overcooked as she prodded one with a fork before shrugging as she resumed her meal.

PreviousChapters Next