• Published 30th Nov 2016
  • 3,078 Views, 587 Comments

Memoir of Misery - Silvak



With her memories returning, Sapphire has to endure the mystery of why she is receiving visions of monsters that Equestria never seen before, as she continues to try to make a new life for herself while searching for her old one.

  • ...
7
 587
 3,078

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter XXXII: Green

"So Discord found you... and ended up putting you in a room full of cake..."

"Yeah, there was like, maybe fifty cakes there? There were so many types I never tasted before!" Sapphire declared as she took on a nostalgic look while Celestia just narrowed her eyes at Sapphire.

"Keep it together, Celestia. Sapphire still has the worst of us all right now," Celestia mumbled to herself as Luna and Cadance eyed her. It was dusk after the Elements returned to Ponyville after the celebration of their victory over Discord, though Cadance was a bit miffed that she was forgotten in her room along with Sapphire until after the Elements had left.

"What I'm more surprised about is my theory of Discord having a link to you, Sapphire," Luna declared after deciding to ignore Celestia's envious mutterings.

"Wait, what made you think he had a link with me?" Sapphire asked as she lifted a bowl of soup with her hooves, guzzling the soup down her throat in one swift action.

"Fifty cakes for breakfast, and she's still able to eat?! Is her stomach a black hole?!" Cadance mumbled to herself, noting that it only took mere hours before Sapphire's stuffed belly returned to normal.

"Tell me about it. I'm starting to theorize that it might be her source of magic, and its growing with each meal," Celestia whispered to Cadance, only for the both of them to feel a magical slap on the back of their heads as Luna gave them a crossed look.

"Ignoring the pointless dribble my sister and niece are having, I speculated that the threat your teachers may have been preparing you for could have been Discord. The reason for that line of thinking is due to the amount of power he wields, along with his ability to alter the world on a whim. However, considering that neither did you regain some memory when you interacted with him nor did he recognize you, then it is unlikely that he is the source of your problems. Especially since he gave us another clue to the puzzle that is your past," Luna explained.

"What do you me—the chaos magic thing he mentioned before... is that what you're talking about?" Sapphire asked, looking down at her food in thought.

"Ah, you seem to be cat—" Celestia said before being interrupted by the sight of Sapphire munching on a watermelon. Resisting the urge to connect her hoof to her face, Celestia cleared her throat before saying, "As my sister stated, the presence of chaos magic in your body could present a variable that could complicate matters. That is, if we assume that Discord was telling the truth and not trying to lead us on a wild goose chase."

"Sadly, there isn't much information gathered on chaos magic since the only known user was Discord, and upon his imprisonment, all traces of his magic disappeared," Luna added. "Even the areas where we once did bat—"

"Princess Celestia! We have important news!" cried out Doctor Clear as she burst through the dining room doors, interrupting Luna who frowned at the fact that Clear was trying to find Celestia. "Oh, Princess Cadance, Princess Luna, Princess Sapphire! How convenient that you're all here already!" Clear stated as she saw the other alicorns in the room, though Luna's frown grew at the fact that she was the second one to be acknowledged.

"I take it you found out something new about Sapphire, Doctor Clear?" Celestia asked with a smile, as Sapphire and Cadance leaned toward Clear in anticipation.

"Why yes, we have made some startling discoveries when we compared Sapphire's readings and biological functions to other alicorn samples, meaning you three, your Highnesses!" Clear stated with a wide smile.

This caused Luna to dropped her frown as she too leaned towards Clear, asking, "And pray tell, what have you and your colleagues discovered?"

"Ah, we discovered that Princess Sapphire might be a different kind of alicorn from all of you!" Clear declared, causing all the princesses to rear back their heads in surprise.

"Wait, I'm different from the others? What do you mean?" Sapphire asked, before looking at one of her forelegs as she thought, Does that mean I might not be immortal like the others?

"Might be different, your highness. Upon medical examinations of your bone structure, along with comparisons drawn in from the other princesses, we discovered that you might, and emphasis on might, have a denser bone structure than the other princesses!" Clear explained as she practically danced on her hooves in excitement.

"Wait, denser? Are you certain about this, Clear?" Celestia asked as Sapphire started to poke at her foreleg as she squinted her eyes at it. Lighting her horn up, Celestia pushed Sapphire's foreleg down as she commented, "Sapphire, pay attention. There's no point to be made while poking your leg like that."

"Well, much of this is still theory and speculation, but upon examining your bone structures and comparing them to Princess Sapphire, we discovered that her bones currently have the same support strength as Princess Luna, yet she's smaller than Princess Cadance still, who has a weaker skeleton in comparison!" Clear answered as a unicorn stallion in a lab coat came into the room, looking worn out as he was panting while levitating a few folders. "Ah, here's the data we collected so far. You can take a look now," Clear stated as she took the folders in her magic and passed them out to the princesses, with the exception of Sapphire who decided it was her turn to frown at all of this.

"Now, as you can see with the data we gathered, we believe that Sapphire's bone structure is built this way to either support a heavier weight limit or as a few of my colleagues have speculated, for stronger gravitational forces. Since the latter is unlikely, we came to the conclusion that it must be the former for Princess Sapphire's body," Clear explained before Sapphire blinked, giving her an annoyed look.

"Are you suggesting that I'm supposed to be fat?" Sapphire asked, causing Clear to look at her with a wide-eyed look before rapidly shaking her head.

"No no no, your highness! I was just referring to your weight... I mean," Clear started to say until she paused to take in a deep breath to compose herself. "When I say weight, it isn't referring to you being fat. For all we know, you might have a higher muscle density compared to the other princesses, which would increase your weight as a result. That would lead to your bones needing to be denser to help support the extra weight."

"Are you suggesting that if this information is true, that Sapphire could be physically stronger than us?" Luna asked, tilting her head a bit as Clear turned her attention towards her.

"It's a potential possibility, though a third one exists that suggests that the higher bone density is just a trait that arose from having her bones broken over and over. That one was also tossed out of the possibilities since it's ridiculous for alicorns to be in enough situations for their bones to be broken over and over to necessitate that. As I mentioned before, we don't have any definitive data until Princess Sapphire has fully purged her system of the foreign materials, which could be affecting her body's development that resulted in this outcome. It may even be possible that this trait is temporary and her denser bones are just a protective measure taken when an alicorn is injured," Clear stated, causing Sapphire to furrow her eyebrows in thought.

"So, wait. If your theories are true, then which kind of alicorn would Sapphire closely resemble? My aunts, or me?" Cadance asked as she curiously looked at Sapphire.

"Ah, thankfully we have an answer for that. It appears that despite this oddity found in Princess Sapphire, her magic readings along with observations of Princess Sapphire's natural alicorn regeneration rate, Princess Sapphire would still be more closely related to the royal sisters," Clear answered, gaining a nod of acknowledgement from Cadance. Still smiling at the discovery, Clear's pupils shrunk for a short moment as she said, "Oh, I almost forgot. There is one little detail that I forgot to mention. It is in regards to the foreign residues in Princess Sapphire's system."

"And what is it, Clear? Also, you don't have to call Sapphire by her title when you're reporting the data," Celestia replied as she observed the unicorn mare with a bemused smile.

"Alright princess, as you wish. While we are still unable to determine what magic or spell that these residues might be related to, we discovered that there’s a concentration located at Sapphire's side that has a weaker contamination amount compared to the one on her chest. Furthermore, the one on her head and leg had the highest concentration amount. Now, this could be the result of being hit by different spells at different powers, but it also could be the mark of a timeframe between each injury she sustained, which is also the most likely possibility since she does have three differing residues in her body," Clear explained.

"A... timeframe? If that is true... it could potentially complicate Sapphire's recovery of her memories if the causes for these came at different times. However, this has brought a new perspective for me to consider as I begin my nightly duties," Luna declared as her horn and Celestia's lit up, the other occupants of the room watching as the sun disappeared off into the horizon as the moon rose to take up its place. "Since the day has ended, it is time for Sapphire to come to the world of slumber so I can visit her dreams as soon as possible."

"Umm... why is that needed?" Sapphire asked in confusion, as she looked at Cadance for some answers, only to have her shrug in response.

"It is time to delve into your memories once more, with you revisiting that inferno. But this time, I'll be ready for whatever happens," Luna declared as Sapphire started to get a queasy feeling in her gut.


"Are you certain this is a good idea?" Sapphire asked as she and Luna were looking upon the green inferno inside Sapphire's nightmare.

"It is, for it is time to find some answers, more so when these residues are fading from your system. They could be affecting your memories in some way, or perhaps even serving as a guide to the memories closely linked to them. Regardless, say the words and steel thyself," Luna declared, her wings flaring as she slipped up in her modern Equestrian at the end.

"If you say so... vicium mehemii!" Sapphire exclaimed, watching as the same claw from before rise out of the green inferno, reaching out to grab Sapphire only to be thwarted by a barrier that Luna had erected.

"Huzzah! Our... idea... worked?" Luna started to say before her words drifted off as the clawed hand grabbed onto the ground outside the edge of the inferno before another clawed arm came out of the portal. "Or perhaps we are mistaken."

As Sapphire stepped back from the inferno as the other two faded away, two more arms came out of the portal, grabbing onto the ground as it suddenly lifted a serpentine form out of the inferno. Its body having no rear legs, just a long serpentine-like form with the same blackish green coloration as the body, with a draconic head that was present on the night where Sapphire learned about the Arulas and her myth. Greenish smoke seemed to be pouring out of the creature's back, as Sapphire could see that its body was covered in ridged scales that looked like they could cut up anything if the creature decided to constrict its form around a target. Lowering its body down before them as the green inferno vanished, it revealed that its form was massive, as long as any passenger train, yet its head towered above the two alicorns as it turned its vision upon the two mares, its eyes narrowing as it started to take a deep breath.

"...Luna... I don't think that vicium mehemii is a phrase... I think it's a name..." Sapphire squeaked out as she took a step back before the creature’s breath shot out a stream of green flames towards her and Luna.

PreviousChapters Next