• Published 30th Nov 2016
  • 3,078 Views, 587 Comments

Memoir of Misery - Silvak



With her memories returning, Sapphire has to endure the mystery of why she is receiving visions of monsters that Equestria never seen before, as she continues to try to make a new life for herself while searching for her old one.

  • ...
7
 587
 3,078

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter XI: Prince

"Speechless milady? Understandable, for any mare would be struck speechless by being near my presence," Blueblood declared, as Sapphire just stared at him before shaking her head clear of her stupor.

"What? I'm not struck speechless from that... it's more of I don't know who you are," Sapphire replied, causing Blueblood to look aghast as he placed a hoof against his chest.

"You don't know who I am? Impossible! Everypony knows of the great Prince Blueblood the Nineteenth! What is wrong with you, it's like you have amnesia!" Blueblood exclaimed before frowning, his ears pulling back like he was deeply offended.

"Actually, I do have amnesia..." Sapphire muttered out, which caused Blueblood to instantly smile as his ears perked up.

"Ah, that explains things. But do not fret my dear lady, for the only memories that you need now is the ones you will be making with me," Blueblood stated with a smirk, as Sapphire's eyelids dropped to halfway down.

"What..." Sapphire just responded as she wondered if something is wrong with this stallion in front of her. That is, before she recalled that she had seen this stallion before at the fashion show, where he was giving her a look that perturbed her. "Wait a minute, I think I saw you at the fashion show earlier today."

"Indeed you did, and I must say, you looked fabulous in that dress that you wore, Sapphire Rain. And your figure, I never before seen a mare that had a figure like yours. So lithe, yet still showing a special kind of beauty. You would make a lovely companion for the likes of me," Blueblood declared. "And don't worry about your amnesia. For you see, that would make it so much easier for you to adapt to a life of being in the presence of one of my standing. So no need for you to remember those silly little memories, Prince Blueblood is here to sweep you off your hooves and take care of all your problems for you."

Though Sapphire was slightly flattered at his initial comments about her looks, Blueblood's talk about her becoming 'his companion' and not needing her memories struck a cord with her, causing her to scowl as she glared at the smug stallion before her. "I don't think I'll be abandoning my pursuit of my memories for a stallion that I just met."

Gasping as he placed a hoof on his chest, Blueblood stated, "How dare you?! You're refusing the attention of the nephew of Princess Celestia, the ruler of our great nation?!" before he leaned forward, glaring at Sapphire. The mare blinked a bit at the glare, only to then start her own glare back.

"Yes, yes I wo—" Sapphire started to say until Blueblood sat on his haunches and lifted a hoof up, slapping her face with it, which knocked it to the side a bit. The blow made her eyes widen from the mere shock of being slapped.

"Young mare, you know nothing of what you speak of. So be a good little filly and do as I say and be quiet," Blueblood growled out, causing Sapphire to turn her head back towards him, before blinking at his last words.

"Be... quiet?" Sapphire said, still blinking as something about those words seemed familiar to her. Her mind began to drift as Blueblood started to smirk as he began to speak again, only for Sapphire to block out his words as she started to recall something.


"Mommy? Why is everypony running around like there is something bad going on?" asked a little light blue speck with a childish voice on a fuzzy gray field. Various colored blobs were dashing about in the field, only for a blue one to stop in its tracks. Turning towards the little speck as it cleared up, it revealed a rather thin pegasus mare that had a familiar blue coat, an orange mane, and deep green eyes. The mare had a bit of a haggard appearance, along with a look that was a mixture of fear and concern as she picked up the little blue speck.

"Sorry deary, but mommy can't tell you until you're older. Just stick with mommy and be quiet, okay sweetie?" the mare said as she started to follow a bunch of other colored blobs.

"But mommy, what about daddy? Why is he going in the other direction?" the blue speck asked, pointing with some fuzzy limbs towards the other batch of blobs that were going the opposite direction.

"...Daddy is just doing something to protect us," the mare said, closing her eyes as she let out a shiver. She then opened her eyes again, revealing a deep-rooted fear within them.

"...Mommy, Daddy is coming back, right?" asked the blue speck as it started to shiver at the thought of its parent not coming back.

"Don't worry dear, da—" the mare started to say, before a monstrous howl bellowed from the sky, causing the little blue speck to turn what appeared to be its head towards the sky. It let out a squeak of terror at the sight of a monster with a dark purple coloration, purple smoke billowing from its form as it flapped its jagged wings as it flew in the sky. A feeling of despair overtook the speck as the mare looked up at the sky before jumping towards some kind of fuzzy brown cover as the mare clapped a hoof over a part of the speck's head. "Sapphire, you need to be quiet now. Just b—"


As a sharp pain burst from Sapphire's left cheek, she blinked in surprise as the world returned into proper focus before her. It was here that she saw Blueblood was looking at her in annoyance as he lowered a hoof down. "I see that you returned to the world of the living, Miss Rain. I do hope that you're not the kind of mare to space out at inconvenient times," Blueblood declared, causing Sapphire to feel something bubbling inside her. Baring a completely neutral expression, Sapphire raised her right foreleg, prompting Blueblood to say, "Miss Rain? What are you do—"


Five minutes earlier...

"Auntie, just what in Equestria is going on?" Cadance asked as she watched Celestia close the doors behind them with her magic.

"I would like to explain, but I'm starting to doubt that even I know what is going on here," Celestia answered with a sigh, causing Cadance to tilt her head in confusion. Turning her attention to her adopted niece, Celestia continued, "Cadance dear, that mare there is Sapphire Rain. She is a mare that is not only a friend of Twilight's, but is also stricken with a case of amnesia."

Gasping in surprise as she lifted a hoof to cover her mouth, Cadance said, "Oh, that poor mare... is that why she's in the castle? You invited her here after the Canterlot Fashion show?"

Tilting her head, Celestia asked, "How did you know about that?"

Waving a hoof off, Cadance replied, "Please auntie, you don't think I wouldn't know about the latest events in Canterlot even if I have duties to attend to? And with Sapphire being a fresh fashion model, it didn't take me much to put two and two together."

"Right... that made me forgot about how far you advanced since you came to me as a young filly," Celestia responded with a proud smile, before letting it fade as she added, "But there is more to Sapphire than meets the eye. Prior to her appearance in Ponyville, there were no records of a mare like her in all of Equestria. Naturally, that caused me to become suspicious of her, which in turn led to me coming to Ponyville to assure Twilight's safety if Sapphire was something more than a mere pony."

"'More than a mere pony'? What do you mean by that?" Cadance asked as she raised an eyebrow at the particular phrase.

"Sorry dear, but that is something that I can't tell you till you're more experienced with the duties of being a princess," Celestia answered, frowning as she watched Cadance let out a sigh of frustration. "Returning to the topic on hoof, Sapphire's first experience with me was... less than ideal. This lead to Luna taking up the reins of aiding Sapphire, as an indirect means for me to make up for my foolhardy actions. However... recently, we learned that Sapphire had ties to the legend of the Disappearance of Arulas."

"'Disappearance of Arulas'? That sounds like some kind of old mare's tale... though considering the legend about your sister..." Cadance responded, before pausing as she saw the grimace that came onto Celestia's face at the mere mention of her sister's banishment. "Sorry Auntie, I didn't mean to ups—"

"It's fine Cadance, you didn't have any negative intentions when you brought it up," Celestia said, interrupting her niece as she took a deep breath before continuing on. "As for the Disappearance of Arulas, it too isn't a simple legend. There are three groups of ponies descended from the three sisters that are looking for their lost sister, Arulas, and her followers. However, currently, the three groups are outside out of Equestria, and with Sapphire being discovered in Ponyville, which is basically in the center of Equestria, it seemed rather farfetched that she has any ties to those three groups. Yet, from what Luna told me, that legend has some particular meaning to a pony that Sapphire knew of before she lost her memory."

"Wait... if this legend has some importance to Sapphire, yet the odds of her having ties to the other groups are slim to none... are you saying that she could be directly linked to this Arulas pony that you're talking about?" Cadance said as she rubbed her chin in thought. "Could this mean that this is something related to Auntie Luna's return?"

"It's... a possibility that Sapphire does have ties to Arulas, but I doubt that this is in relation to my sister's return. The legend of Arulas predates both her and me, for it is a legend that is over six thousand years old," Celestia answered, causing Cadance to gape at her in surprise.

"S-six t-thousand!? And there's still ponies looking for this Arulas after so long‽" Cadance exclaimed before covering her mouth with her hooves as she looked at the door, wondering if Sapphire was going to burst through them at any moment.

Chuckling to herself as she shook her head at her niece's actions, Celestia answered, "Dear Cadance, you would find that there exist all sorts of ponies that are too stubborn to give up on something important to them, no matter how hopeless it may seem to others. Regardless, after witnessing Sapphire's ability to consume a level of food that no normal pony should be able to do, I'm starting to think that there is something more to Sapphire than meets the eye. Along with other mysteries about her that Luna told me about, I'm starting to wonder if Sapp—" until a loud crash coming from the dining room interrupted her, causing both her and Cadance to look at each other in shock before turning their attention to the dining room door.

As Celestia opened the doors with her magic, both her and Cadance felt their jaws dropping at the sight before them. Standing right next to the table with her right foreleg fully extended, Sapphire was just blinking in utter surprise at the sight of the various destroyed chairs before her. Blueblood on the other hoof, was currently buried under a pile of broken chairs at the far side of the room, judging by the sight of one of his rear legs weakly kicking into the air as he moaned in pain. All the while, the two guards that were near the other open door were just staring at Sapphire with bulging eyes and dropped jaws, unable to comprehend what they had just witnessed.

The silence in the room continued on for a time, until Sapphire retracted her right forehoof towards herself, staring at it until she looked at the two guards as she asked, "Umm... do you two know what just happened? I mean... Blueblood was right in front of me, but now he's over there... is this something that unicorns can do with their forehooves?"

PreviousChapters Next