• Published 30th Nov 2016
  • 3,075 Views, 587 Comments

Memoir of Misery - Silvak



With her memories returning, Sapphire has to endure the mystery of why she is receiving visions of monsters that Equestria never seen before, as she continues to try to make a new life for herself while searching for her old one.

  • ...
7
 587
 3,075

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter XXXIII: Mayhem

"Thou shall not harm Sapphire, you fiend!" Luna cried as her horn lit up, erecting a barrier that diverted the flames around them. Turning her head towards Sapphire, Luna asked, "Young Sapphire, do you recall this... thing?"

"I... I... I don't know..." Sapphire croaked out as she just stared at the creature as it reared one of its claws and swiped at the barrier, only for its claw to bounce off.

"I see. We can investigate this thing another time," Luna declared as she returned her attention to the beast before her. Charging her horn with magical energy, Luna cried out, "Begone foul nightmare, and plague this mare no more!" as her horn let out a pulse of magic that crashed into the monster, causing it to flinch as its form wavered. However, instead of becoming undone, the creature let out a roar as its form stabilized before it swiped a claw at Luna's barrier again.

"Umm... what was that supposed to do? Cause I think it only made it angrier... if that’s possible," Sapphire said as she took a look at Luna, where she saw surprise clearly plastered on her face.

"No... that isn't possible... it should have vanished..." Luna croaked out before the creature swiped at the barrier again, shattering it as the claw went further. As Luna remained in shock, the claw grabbed onto Luna, finally breaking her out of her stupor. "Augh! Let go of me, you foul beast!" Luna cried as she fired a beam of magical energy at the beast while a mirror appeared to the side.

"Luna, watch out!" Sapphire cried out as she watched the beast slam Luna into the mirror, sending her through it before wrapping its claws around it, shattering it. "No way... how is this pos—buck!" Sapphire said before seeing the beast turn its head towards her. Turning around, Sapphire took to the air as the beast let out a torrent of green fire at her. "Why did this happen before I started remembering more of my training?!"

"Well, here's a lesson. Might want to dive a bit!" stated a familiar voice, causing Sapphire to take its advice as she dove down as she felt the heat of the flames pass overhead. Looking towards the direction of the voice, Sapphire saw Veritas in the form of a pegasus waving at her from her left.

"What the buck?! Do you have a hoof in all this?!" Sapphire replied as she pointed a hoof at Veritas.

Letting out a snort, Veritas answered, "No, it’s you and Luna that are sticking your noses where they don't belong, but let me do you a favor," before she reached out and grabbed Sapphire's foreleg, pulling her to the left of her original point as another burst of fire rushed past her. "You might have wanted to just stick to following the pieces instead of brute forcing it."

"Wait, you knew this would happen?!" Sapphire shrieked as Veritas pulled her up to dodge another torrent of fire.

"Eh, I had some guesses, but let's make Mr. Fire Spit less of a nuisance," Veritas replied as she clapped her hooves, causing the void they were in to shift to Canterlot. Grabbing Sapphire's foreleg again, Veritas pulled Sapphire into an alleyway as she guided her through the back alleys of Canterlot. Stopping next to some trash cans, Veritas landed behind them as she grabbed one of the lids and put it on her head, saying, "Hide like I am, it's pointless to do anything else in the meantime."

As Sapphire was about to protest, only to hear the beast let out a roar, causing her to follow Veritas's instructions as she sat next to the mental being. "Okay, so what's the next step?"

"We wait till you wake up, or Luna figures out how to get back here to blast the beast to the moon, or something," Veritas answered with a shrug.

Narrowing her eyes at Veritas, Sapphire said, "Really? Is that what we're going to do? Cower here and pray for help?"

"Yeah, do you have a better idea? You're in no condition to fight, and I don't have the power to do anything besides changing the scenery in your dreams, so we're stuck like this. Unless it finds us, to which we're going to have to run and scream for our lives, like the citizens of Ponyville did with that Ursa Minor," Veritas replied with another shrug.

"How about you give me some buckin answers already?! What is that thing, and how was it able to send Luna out of my dream?!" Sapphire asked as she pressed her muzzle against Veritas's.

"Well, that thing is, to put it simply, it's a combination of your memories and a nightmare, so to speak. That's why it was able to fend her off despite her being the master of the dream realm. As to why she's out of your dream, I can't say. I honestly have no idea how the monster was able to send her out with a mirror," Veritas answered as she rubbed her chin in thought.

"Then what in Luna's name would my memories help produce a thing like that?" Sapphire shot back as she pointed to her side before she paused as she felt the ground shaking. Holding still, Sapphire could hear the beast grabbing onto the roof of a nearby building as it slithered across the top of them, pausing here and there as it appeared to be looking for wherever she hid.

Holding still, Sapphire gulped when she saw a couple of bricks falling down next to them, indicating that the beast was right above their heads. After a couple minutes, the beast continued on its way, allowing Sapphire to get some air as Veritas replied, "Once again, no idea. There's more going on than even I know, so we're both in the same boat for the time being."

Sighing, Sapphire mumbled, "All this, and in the end, I only get that monster of all things," Sapphire bemoaned, as Veritas rolled her eyes at her.

"Fine fine, I'll give you a bit of your past, whether you like it or not," Veritas responded before lifting up a blue glowing forehoof.

"Hey wait, can't you wake me up like you did the last time by punching in me the face again?" Sapphire asked as she tilted her head at that memory.

"No, that was when I had greater control in the dream, but with that beast running about, it's presence is causing some interference. Now then, back to focusing on you remembering something!" Veritas answered before slamming her hoof into Sapphire's face.


"—children of Arulas—"

"Legends say—"

"—and that's when they say—

"Uncle Rift, why did Uncle Runic tell me to go to you to find out about the legend of the four sisters?"

"Hmm... maybe because he's not one for fun like I am. He's always about business, but I know that you sometimes need to have some fun in your life, like the tales of old."

"Oh... so you will tell me about The Journey of Arulas?"

"Yeah, I will. Just sit over there and I'll tell you the tale. Now let's see, it all started with four sisters..."


Blinking in shock, Sapphire looked around as she felt the trash can lid shifting on her head, seeing Veritas holding a hoof to her ear for some reason. Though, it didn't take Sapphire long to figure out why, as she soon heard Luna's voice crying out, "Take that you fiend! No one dares defeat the Princess of the Night in the dream realm!"

"Luna's back?" Sapphire asked in surprise, to which Veritas gave her a flat glare at her as an explosion could be heard off in the distance.

"Unless you know a pony that likes to shout during battle like that and who can also enter a pony's dream, then I say that Luna has returned to your dream," Veritas dryly answered. Blinking at that answer, Sapphire shook her head a bit before throwing the trash can lid off her head. She then flew up into the air, coming out of the alleyway to then see the sight of Luna firing a massive beam of magic at the beast, sending it crashing into a building.

"Veritas, we need to help Luna fight that beast off!" Sapphire stated as Veritas came up to her side.

"With what?! Changing the dream so that rocks will drop on it? I doubt something like that will work in the first place," Veritas countered with a huff.

"Then how about you change the dream so that we're right above a lake or something like that! At least then, I could do something with my water magic!" Sapphire cried out in frustration and worry. All the while, Sapphire could see the beast fire a green fireball at Luna, who barely dodged it as another fireball came at her.

"Ah, now you're thinking like a fighter. Here you go!" Veritas replied as she tapped her forehooves together, causing the scenery to change as the buildings and streets faded into a flat surface of a lake, which was promptly changed as the beast dropped into the water.

Blinking in surprise, Luna looked around before spotting Sapphire, who was lighting her horn up with her magic. "Sapphire, flee before the beast... attacks... you?" Luna shouted in an attempt to warn Sapphire, only to see the water wrapping around the beast despite its attempts to flail around to free itself.

After tying up the beast with her magic, Sapphire exclaimed, "Luna! Finish that beast off while I'm holding it down!" as she directed the water to constrict around the beast.

As the beast roared out in fury at Sapphire's bindings, Luna nodded as she charged her horn up, idly dodging the wild bursts of flame from the struggling beast until her horn glowed brighter than before as she declared, "Fall foul beast! You will torment Sapphire no more!" as she let out a massive burst of magic. Colliding with the beast, its form distorted once more before it started to shatter from the water's constricting hold on its body. Breaking apart into little pieces that faded away, the water fell onto itself as the lake slowly grew calm once more.

"Great job Sapphire, you actually fought back, even if it was just in your dre—" Veritas started to say as Sapphire let go of her magic to catch her breath, only to be interrupted as Luna suddenly tackled Sapphire into a bone-crushing hug.

"What a wonderful victory we have achieved, young Sapphire! You are a natural at this! I can't wait till more of your memories return, for we will defend Equestria from any threat if we work together!" Luna proclaimed as she shook Sapphire around in her grasp.

Sighing at the scene before her, Veritas mumbled, "She only grabbed onto the beast, not actually fight it like she used... nevermind, I'll just be taking my leave now," as she faded away as well.

"Luna... stop shaking me already!" cried Sapphire as she tried to pry Luna's legs off, though her constant shaking rendered it a tougher task to maintain a grasp on her legs. "Please stop shaking me!" Sapphire eventually shouted, causing Luna to come to a stop as she stared at her in surprise before finally letting go.

"Forgive my actions, Sapphire. It has just been a while since I was able to have an actual fight with some beast that could provide a challenge," Luna explained as she looked at the water below them. "Though, I am curious on how you were able to change the dream to something like this so fast."

"Oh, it was Veritas's doing, though... where did she wander off to?" Sapphire responded as she looked around in confusion.

Snorting, Luna stated, "Of course, the construct came to help you out, but the moment I get a chance to question her, she flees the scene. The coward. Though... that beast was... difficult in a way that I never expected."

Turning her attention towards Luna, Sapphire asked, "What do you mean? Is it because its a giant monster?"

Shaking her head, Luna asked, "No, for I have contended with creatures of similar size before. The real problem was that the beast radiated some kind of aura from it, one that caused it to be more difficult for me to think straight. It was like it tossed my mind into utter mayhem... Sapphire, what is it?" as she noticed Sapphire jerking her head at the mention of the word mayhem.

"I... I don't know... but that word... mayhem... it reminds me of something that... just shakes me to my core," Sapphire replied, as she looked at the spot where the beast once was, She then felt a twinge of dread and, oddly enough, hate in her heart, though she couldn’t recall why.

PreviousChapters Next