• Published 2nd Nov 2016
  • 2,219 Views, 217 Comments

Night Patrol 2: Awakening - Foxgear



A thousand years she was in the moon, now she's back and living in a strange new world. Her friends and comrades gone, nothing but dust in the dirt. With only her sister Luna look towards the future, but the past keeps calling her back.

  • ...
5
 217
 2,219

PreviousChapters Next
The rulers of the Shadows

Night Patrol Chapter 36
By Foxgear


A wizened pony sat proudly upon a red throne, his mane once luscious black was peppered with white and gray, his bread which had grown long and whitened the same as his hair fell past his neck. His eyes drooped, wrinkled skin of decades lived weighed heavily upon his eyelids. Under the heavy ornate red fur cloak hid the Crimson Alicorn Amulet. The red jewel pulsed with power with every beat of his heart. The cape hid the horror beneath, the mystic gem jammed into his torso with veins of magic digging into his body like the tendrils of a demonic creature feasting on his soul.

The oversized doors of the throne room opened, and the pony looked up from his red carpet admiring the Empire he built in his image as his guests trotted to him, their reflections clear in the polished black marble floor. A small smile graced his wizen lips, and he gave his guest permission to stand.

“Thou have returned my sons, how goes the battle?”

Scath and Schatten smile upon their father’s from, King Sombra, each of them showing their respect by presenting their head to the old king. As the elder son Scath went first, receiving a pat on the head followed by Schatten. The fourth son relished this form of affection, so Sombra gave him an extra pat.

Scath stood up straight beaming with pride. “The battle is underway father. Our brother Ombre leads the fight against the Main Equestrian force to the south. I encountered an enemy in the Colosseum. I am happy to report to you that the red Rinin, Fierce Fury, fell by my blade.”

Sombra’s eyes widened. “The red Rinin has been slain? Tell me, what did he look like?”

“Pardon Lord Father?”

“His age!” Sombra spat but quickly reined himself in as a violent coughing fit assaulted him. For several long, tense seconds, he could only cough. A maid rushed to his side offering a cup of a bitter smelling liquid. Reluctantly he took it and drank, wrinkling his muzzle in disgust, but his cough finally subsided. “As I was saying, what was the Rinin’s age, how old did he appear? Was he as wizened as I?”

Scath shook his head. “No, father. He looked my age with not a grey hair on him.”

Sombra pounded the arms of his throne, grinding his teeth as his blood boiled. “Damnable creatures. They make a mockery of me even now. Curse them. Curse them all and damn those Princesses!”

“Father,” Schatten yelped with concern.

Feeling the tension in his body Sombra took a long deep sigh, his fine form slouching into a much less imposing figure of a unicorn of nearly sixty. (Who am I trying to fool?) He scoffed to himself. He was sixty-seven years old now. When he last faced the Princesses and their dragon ponies, he had been just under forty, aged by the standards then. He was the oldest being in his entire kingdom now.

“The pony in question could have been the Rinin’s son, Father.” Schatten offered in an attempt to comfort him.

Sombra smiled at his youngest boy extending his wrinkled leg to pat the mountain of a stallion that was his son. All his sons towered over him now. He had ensured they would be the mightiest ponies, mightier than even him. To ensure his legacy after he was gone. His heart ached as the Crimson Alicorn Amulet pulsed again, sending poisonous magic into his veins. He had embedded the gem into his body in a vain attempt to prolong his life and give him more power.

It did one of the two.

The amulet did indeed prolong his life. He lived well beyond his own father, Umbra, who had died at fifty. But it was a pained life. Every heartbeat was painful, every day he seemed to degrade more and more. The only thing to give him strength was the amulet, it was the only thing keeping him going, that and revenge.

Revenge that was finally being sewn.

“Schatten what is your report?”

“I encountered another Rinin, a grey one, in the library, with a lavender unicorn and a bat pony. I captured him and left his subordinates as a warning to their allies still in the city. I regret to tell you the unicorn and thestral escaped my grasp.”

“One more thing father, before I forget,” Scath suddenly spoke up. “I happened upon a pink Alicorn in the Colosseum. A young one, probably no more than twenty years old. My soldiers still search for her, but she is elusive.”

Sombra blinked his mind processing his son’s words. “A pink alicorn… a child of Celestia or Luna? No, that doesn’t seem right. Tell me what color was her hair and what mark did she bare?”

“Her head was a mix of purple, gold, and pink, and she bore a crystal heart as a mark. At least that’s what it seemed, I was too far away to truly tell.”

“There is no doubt.” Sombra laughed. “That is the child of Symphony. Mi Amore Cadenza. Scath you are to personally go and find her and bring her to me. Alive.”

“Yes, father!” He saluted. About facing Scath trotted out the door, leaving him and Schatten alone.

Schatten stood rigidly under his father’s half-closed gaze. The old stallion plotting. “What do you desire me to do father? Shall I accompany Scath?”

Sombra shook his head. “No, I have something else in mind.”

The doors of the throne room opened again, both stallions looking at who dared to enter without announcing. “Oh, father!” The honey-laced voice of his second daughter cooed. “I have a surprise for you!” Cien Blask sang skipping down the red carpet. A bound Lavender unicorn followed in her wake. The young mare fought against her restraints moving at a snail’s pace.

“Hurry up now Twily, you're rude to your new King.” Cien chided at the unicorn. Bounding up the stairs to the throne Cien pecked Sombra on the cheek, and he replied by kissing her forehead and ruffling her silky mane.

“My little Cien what have you brought before me?” He asked in a sweet tone. If he had one weakness, it was his daughters. He had only had sons before, but when his three little girls arrived, a part of him changed.

Cien jumped off the throne and pressed her hoof against the top of the lavender unicorn’s neck making her kiss the floor. “Be respectful to daddy!” The bonds around the unicorn body light up, pink lightning arced between the braces as the mare’s hair stood on the edge, she let out a whimper as the collar around her neck tightened.

“I’m sorry.” The Unicorn said weakly with tears in her eyes.

He smiled admiring his daughter’s ruthlessness. “Enough dear. Tell me who this is.”

“This is Twilight Sparkle, Ombre’s newest war bride,” Cien explained.

Sombra raised an eyebrow looking closely at the captured. “Sparkle, huh, interesting. She certainly has a strong aura about her, but even so, she’s not worth bringing here without formal attire. You better not be slacking in your duties.”

Cien chuckled. “Perish the thought father, but while I was making her presentable, she said something exciting. Go on Twily tell daddy what you told me and no lying.”

The cuffs around Twilight’s body lit up, she held her mouth shut, the bands tightened and shocked her, the pain increased the more she resisted. A river of tears cascaded down her face as her mouth opened and betrayed her.

“I’m Twilight Sparkle, Princess Celestia’s personal student. I’m on a mission to stop you.”

A smile spread across the dark king’s face, genuinely happy smile. Great joy filled his old body, and he let out a loud villainous mocking laugh. The likes of which put terror into the young unicorn’s heart as she trembled in fear.

“Hohoho, now this is a treat! Celestia’s student bound and at my mercy? Dare I say I may have just been given the ultimate shield! And you’re just brimming with magical power! As expected of the Sparkle Clan. I wouldn’t expect anything less from one of Maredor’s most prestige families.”

Twilight’s mouth hung open, but she couldn’t speak, not without permission.

“Oh, you didn’t know? Celestia never told you? That is simply precious. Your family originated in my kingdom, the product of good breeding. Many of your Familia joined me in my invasion. They were the most loyal of soldiers. Cien’s mother was given when she came of age by her father. Gleam Sparkle I believe her name was.” Sombra paused his reminiscing to enjoy the look of conflict on Twilight’s face. The young mare’s entire world was shattered. He put on his best sympathetic mask and stepped down from his throne forcing the young mare to look at him as she cried. “It must hurt being lied to your whole life. Celestia would have known the origin of your family. I’m certain she took your clan from Maredor after my defeat. Tell me, child, how many years have passed in the outside world.”

“One thousand years,” Twilight answered; her mouth clamped shut once again leaving her words locked inside as Sombra paced before her.

“Hmm, a much longer time then I expected. It’s only been about thirty here. I guess that’s dimension hopping for you.” Sombra shrugged as he paced the floor with a keen interest in his new slave. “So many questions to ask, so much knowledge to attain, but were to start? Oh yes. Let’s start with the obvious. What battle magic did Celestia teach you? Did she have you follow in her hoof steps with light and fire magic like her?”

“No.”

“I see, then what style of magic did she teach you?”

“Celestia didn’t teach me any styles. She mostly taught me non-combative magic. I had to learn battle magic on my own, and when I did, she pushed me to learn shields like my brother Shining Armor. My other master taught me battle magic.”

Sombra cocked his head in confusion. “Strange Celestia didn’t teach you’re her fighting style. You would make a great magical artillery caster. Launching powerful and destructive spells from the back, wiping out hordes of enemies in a single flash. You certainly have the magic for it. Why not teach you? No matter, who is this other master you spoke off, what did she teach you?”

“VeeVee, her name is VeeVee, she’s a rinin and a medic, but she’s very knowledgeable of many magics and trained me how to increase my basic spells with stamina and power training. She hadn’t had the chance to teach me other spells.”

His eye twitched, “Then what combat spells do you know?”

“Basic magic blast, Plasma horn, teleportation, and some tier three magic shields.”

“You cannot be serious.”

“She cannot lie father.” Schatten reminded him.

“Yes, boy, I know, I am simply taken aback. When I heard you were Celestia’s student I never imagined you would be so… so… useless! My lowest rung soldier is more equipped than you. How long have you been Celestia’s student?”

Twilight bowed her head, feelings of shame and resentment bubbled inside her. “Since I was a filly, probably seven years or eight years old. I’m seventeen now.”

Sombra gaffed. “Ten years under the Sun Princess’s eye and this all you have to show for it? Did she really teach you? With your talent, I’m surprised Luna didn’t snatch you up for herself.”

“Luna was sealed in the moon until a few months ago.”

He blinked. “Luna sealed in the moon? What’s all this now? Explain, everything, now.”

Her magic strained, and her mind on the brink of shattering Twilight monotoned out the legend of Nightmare Moon and her defeat, her battles with Discord, the Canterlot Invasion and the Return of Night Patrol. She told the dark king everything.

“Interesting, very interesting. You have been a great help to me Twilight Sparkle. More then you will ever know. I am torn though.” Sombra laughed as he retook his seat. “I can’t decide if I should let Ombre have you for capturing you in the first place or give you to Erebus. His magical power is much more potent, your two genes would defiantly make me strong grandchildren. Since our population was so limited, I had to ensure proper bloodlines. You know to avoid inbreeding. Since we’re about to push on to the greater wide world. Maybe I could bend the rules and let both have at you? What do you think?”

“You're disgusting!” Twilight spat.

Sombra merely waved his foreleg, Twilight’s mouth slammed closed, muffling her protests. “I will enjoy watching the fire dwindle in your eyes, but I have more questions. You’ve already spilled your battle plans, and given away all your secrets, the bit about Luna falling to darkness was particularly intriguing. I wish I could have been there to see that. There is one very personal question that burns me, and that is what happened to my Kingdom? What befell my country of Maredor? What happened to my son, Sombra the Second? Answer me.”

Twilight robotically replied, “I don’t know. It wasn’t in our history books, nor did Celestia ever bring it up. I never heard the name until Night Patrol returned, but I didn’t have time to research it. All I know is that the Rinins speak of it in passing and of a battle that took place there.”

“Hmm, not quite as helpful in that area, but don’t you find it funny Celestia never brought it up?”

“Perhaps she thought it was irrelevant to my studies, the battle did take place nearly a thousand years ago,” Twilight argued.

He scoffed. “No matter. Schatten bring the rinin you captured here. I’m sure we can preen something from him.”

“At once father.”

Sombra turned to Cien. “Cien go get Twilight properly dressed. Make sure the dress is nice. I want your new slave sister in formal attire for her husbands.”

Cien bowed, “Of course, father, I will ensure she is proper. Come on Twily, let’s go play dress up.”

As the three left Sombra sat back in his throne, shuffling against the silky fur for comfort. Everything was going brilliantly. Celestia and Luna were playing right into his hooves, and all he had to do was sit back and wait.

“I suppose I could give Cadenza to Erebus and Twilight to Ombre, that would be fairer. Or maybe Scath should have the Princess of love? Augh, no matter whoever finds her first can have her. The real interest is Twilight. Why did Celestia waste her time teaching her nothing? What is her plan, what does she see in the child if not the budding of a powerful mage?” Sombra’s eyes waned, exhaustion weighed heavily on his shoulders. He had gotten too excited. A short nap would be in order. “Servant.”

“Yes, milord.” The maid from earlier answered stepping out from behind the curtain. She was a middle-aged mare, her blue mane tied in a braid her coat was violet coat with white running halfway up her legs.

“I am going to rest, wake me before allowing any pony to enter. I do not want to be embarrassed by being found asleep.”

“Of course, milord.” The maid bowed. “I will inform the guards.”

Sombra’s breath shallowed as sleep began to work its will upon him. “Very good, Gleam, thank you.” He uttered softly, soft snores rising from his throat.

Gleam Sparkle smiled sadly and climbed the throne, and gently pressed her lips to the king’s cheek. “It is my duty and pleasure.” She whispered to the stallion that had once been hers and like so many others were now exiled to watch her child grow without knowing their mother. Such is the fate of the King’s concubine.

As Gleam walked to the door to keep watch, her mind wondered. “Twilight Sparkle, I wonder if she’s descended from father’s brother. How did she end up in Equestria?”


“Get up!” The guard shouted at Trifecta. The last of the Triplets opened his silted eyes from the furthest corner in his cell. His glare made the guard gulp as a low growl rumbled in his throat.

“What is it?”

From around the corner, the pony that had captured him stepped out behind the guard. Trifecta had thought Schatten was big before, but inside the narrow and short cell hall, the black stud looked gigantic, his head almost touching the seven-foot-high ceiling and his width covering half of his cell.

“My father demands your presence.” The Dark Prince grumbled.

Trifecta raised an eye and scoffed. “Does he now? What could he want with a little soldier like me?”

“Your jests are not amusing.” Schatten looked down at the guard. “Why did you not place the command bonds on him?”

“We thought you were going to execute him right away. We thought a restriction collar would suffice. His leg is broken, so we thought he wouldn’t be hard to handle.”

Schatten raised his hoof and knocked the Equinox to his belly. “He’s a rinin. You shouldn’t have been so careless; be lucky I chose to spare you this time.”

“Of course, my lord, I will be more thorough next time.”

The big unicorn squeezed himself backward to allow the other guards waiting to enter the cell and chain Trifecta u. A heavy iron yoke was placed around Trifecta’s neck, and the same bands that bound Twilight were placed on his legs.

“Lord Schatten, I’m afraid we cannot place a truth ring on this one. His tail is… well, as you can see.”

Schatten peered into the ceil. Indeed, the truth ring was designed to be fixed to the base of a pony’s tail. Trifecta’s dragon tail was far too large for it to fit, even on the tip. The Rinin’s claws were morphed into hooves, though his claws would likely be too big anyway.

“Pierce his ear and place it there.”

“That will limit the ring’s effects.” One of the guards replied.

“Do it.”

“At once my lord.”

As he waited, Schatten turned his gaze to the cell opposite of Trifecta. Eying the mangled red corpse his elder brother had brought in. The red Rinin. A being that had wounded their father in the war before their birth lay dead on the floor. The rinin’s body was crushed, his center flattened by Scath’s heavy blade. Well, it was more like a club since his brother hardly ever sharpened the damn thing, but the weapon was still lethal.

He crouched wanting a better look at the hated enemy his father would rave about in his stories. He found it hard to believe that this creature could earn his father’s ire so much that he was disdained equally with the Princesses.

(How underwhelming.) Schatten monologed looking into Fierce Fury’s empty eye socket. Bits of exposed blackened skull turned to ash. The body was decomposing very rapidly. A draft blew from the entrance, the light breeze enough to make other pieces of the rinin’s body break apart into ash. He continued to stare memorized by the black void of Fury’s empty socket. His vision blurred from prolong staring and when it came back into focus, a brief flash of light like the light of candle appeared and disappeared in a single breath. Schatten blinked again, but the fire did not appear. “Musta been a trick of the eye.”

“What’s that sir?”

Schatten stood up, the guards waiting with Trifecta yoked and shackled inside the cell. “Nothing, let’s go. To the throne room.”

Trifecta did not fight against his bonds, choosing to save his strength for when it was truly needed. As the guards pulled him along, he glanced back keeping a keen eye on Fury’s cell.

“You’ll be joining your friend soon.” One of the guards prattled.

He faced forward watching the back of Schatten, the dark prince’s ears twitched, indicating he was listening. “Perhaps your right,” Trifecta replied to the guard, as he flashed his teeth. “I’ll make sure you see your friends first, though.”

“Your confidence is extremely high for a pony in chains,” Schatten remarked as they entered the finer hallways of the castle proper. Red carpets and banners littered the place as well as empty suits of armor. The designs varied. They were most likely out of date models that’s only usefulness was decoration.

“Gotta stay positive is what my brother always said. Can’t remember which one said it, I’m a triplet, so my brothers and I look the same.”

“Interesting. I can somewhat relate. Though our appearance and ages vary slightly, my brothers and I do not deviate much in looks either.” Schatten said in a surprising cordial tone of voice.

Trifecta laughed, the dark prince shooting him a perplexed glare. “Sorry, but you’re awfully casual to a pony whose leg you broke.”

Now it was Schatten’s turn to laugh. “No reason we can’t be civil even if we're enemies. At least that’s what my father taught us.”

“Really. Forgive my disbelief, but last time I saw your father he was mad with rage and sucking everypony into a black hole after we gave him a trouncing.”

“And what would an invader such as you know of my father?”

“I prefer the term liberator, thank you very much.”

Their conversation came to an end as they approached the throne room doors. Standing outside was lavender and white unicorn maid blocking the door. On the other side of her stood Twilight Sparkle dolled up in a red ruffled dress with makeup and her hair styled. Trifecta did a quick double-take before noticing the magical cuffs on her legs and the collar around her neck. Standing beside Twilight was black unicorn mare in a similarly silky dress with a purple curved horn.

“Cien, I see you did your job.”

Cien turned up her nose. “And what do you mean by that dear brother? Of course, I did my job. Not that it will matter when brother Ombre comes home and tears her out of it.” The second daughter of Sombra made a sharp turn toward Trifecta and rubbed up against him. “My, my, so this is a rinin. You're more handsome than in father’s tales.”

“Cien,” Schatten said sharply.

“Oh fine.” She scoffed detaching herself from Trifecta. “Maid is father ready for us? Huh? She’s gone.”

The maid in question poked her head out of the throne room doors shaking her head. “The King is occupied. Some troublesome news has come from the front that needs his attention." She shut the door on them.

(A remarkably bold move by a mere servant.) Trifecta observed eying the Prince and Princess. He had expected them to get mad or demand to be let in. After all, if things were haywire at the front, then Schatten at least should be let in, yet the royal siblings didn’t even look displeased. In fact, they seemed anxious. Cien saddled up close to Schatten whispering in her brother’s ear. Every so slightly he adjusted his ears for a better listen.

“Father’s asleep, isn’t he? We should return him to his chambers. Sleeping in that chair isn’t good for him.” Cien whispered in concern.

“Hush,” Schatten softly reprimanded. “It would hurt his pride if we did that. Let’s lock up the prisoners for now until he’s rested.”

“Oh, that gives me an idea!” Cien said in a cheerful voice. Trifecta couldn’t tell if she was being genuine or just putting up an act, so they didn’t catch to the fact something was wrong, but he didn’t like the delighted gleam in her eyes as she swaggered between him and Twilight. She placed her hoof under Twilight’s chin in a very subjected fashion. “You two follow me. Trust me this will be enjoyable.”

“Cien, no games,” Schatten grumbled.

“It’s just a little fun. Now come, come. Let’s go this way.” She beckoned leading them down the hall. Under the compulsion of their bonds, he and Twilight had no chance but to follow Cien. The second daughter of Sombra led them away from the throne room. Taking so many turns that Trifecta was utterly lost.

(Why isn’t she bringing me back to the dungeon? Twilight they have a reign on, but why chance me?) His stomach tingled, and he quickly gave it a slap with his injured leg to calm it down. (Settle down!)

“Here we are!” Cien sang presenting an ornate door to them. He wasn’t well versed in runes, but he knew enough to know those were prison runes. The guard stationed next to the door opened it, and Cien shoed him and Twilight inside. A single bed was the only piece of furniture, and a noxious musk stained the air, causing both his and Twilight’s nose to wrinkle.

A playful smirk danced on the dark princess’s lips. “Feel free to speak and move freely, but only within this room. Go outside, and you will freeze where you stand. That is my command.”

Twilight recoiled covering her nose. “What is that smell!”

“The scent of love, dear Twily.” Cien cooed.

“What?” Twilight gasped in confusion. “How does love have a smell?”

“She means sex, Twilight.” Trifecta clarified looking his fellow captive over. “You’ve had sex before, right? Your what seventeen?”

Twilight’s purple coat became a deep, deep shade of pink. “No.” She replied in the meekest voice he’d ever heard.

Cien cackled. “Oh, this makes it even better! I knew this would be fun. Now Twilight as you know once we win this war and we will. You're going to be passed off to one of my brothers. Ombre, Erebus I don’t know, the point is your life is over. But since I’m so kind, I will give you the privilege of choosing who deflowers you. This lovely stallion of a rinin or my brother. It’s all up to you. You have until we come for you to decide. I’m curious which choice you’ll make.”

In the hallway, Schatten sighed, “Must you do this with every mare we capture? What amusement to do you find it in?”
“If you're so opposed feel free to stop me, little brother,” Cien smirked staring Schatten down.

Schatten rubbed his temple in dismay. “Father gives you three way too much leeway. Play your games, but don’t expect Erebus or Ombre to be so generous. You won’t be able to hide behind father forever.”

“Which is why I need to get away with my fun for as long as possible. Things will be a lot more boring when Erebus takes the throne.” Cien said stepping out into the hall. Shutting the door. Leaving Twilight and Trifecta staring awkwardly at each other and at the bed.


“So, what do you think she’ll do?” Cien asked as she and Schatten trotted toward the throne room. “Do you think she’ll do it? I think she will. She’s desperate, afraid. She’ll take comfort in him. And he’ll want to give her a pleasurable first time and…”

“For the love of the gods, sister, can you not discuss your fantasies with Skaggi or Zil? Why do you do these games of yours?”

“For romance novels.” She quipped.

“Romance novels?”

“Yes, It’s my hobby. The castle staff enjoys them.”

“You’ve already written them?”

“Several in fact, each one tragic and dark, and gripping!”

Schatten looked at her in disbelief. “Our subjects have some twisted tastes then.”

“Zil enjoys them too.”

“You expect me to believe our prim and proper elder sister enjoys your smut?”

She merely shrugged at his question. “Why do think I’m ranting to you, Zil doesn’t want spoilers and Daddy would punish me if I introduced such things to little Skaggi.”

A chuckle escaped the fourth son, “Indeed. Dare say you might actually be scolded if you did that.”

A cry from down the hallway caught to the two sibling’s attention. Gleam ran frantically towards them doing a quick bow while panting for breath. “My lord, my lady, terrible news!”

“Has something happened to father!” Cien cried fearfully.

“No, no, thank the gods no, I’m afraid it’s lord Ombre. He’s been injured. The soldiers brought him to the castle. He is severely wounded and missing a leg.”

Cien’s eyes shriveled, “What? How could that happen? To brother Ombre even?”

Schatten pushed his sister behind him. “Who commands the front now?”

“I don’t know, milord.”

He growled. “Then I shall go. Inform father.”

Suddenly an explosion erupted from outside. Schatten raced to the nearest balcony watching as flames rose from the center of the city. “What madness is this!” He bellowed creating wings of shadow and taking flight.


1 hour earlier in the clock tower.


“Are you sure this will work? Do you really know what you're doing?” Far Reach asked for the fifth time.

“It will work, trust me.” Amatex insisted. On the floor of the clock tower, he had all their explosion material laid out on his bedroll. Three bundles of three stick grenades were duct taped together. Small glass vials were attached to the explosives. “How is that catalyst coming Princess?”

Cadence wiped the sweat from her brow as she slowly used her magic to grind orange gemstones into dust. A small pile of fine powder rested in the bowl Amatex provided her. “Almost done. Please don’t distract me. It’s hard enough to concentrate with all this noise and keep my magic to unnoticeable levels.” She warned as the last orange gem crumbled away. “There now what?”

Amatex pushed a bowl of clear jelly-like substance towards her. “Now mix the gem power with this and then add it to the vials on the grenades and cap them gently.” Cadence did as commanded mixing the two ingredients until the gelatin became orange. When she floated it out of the bowl, the substance was slimly and threaten to fall out of her magic.

“Don’t let it hit the ground it if it does it will blow this whole place up!”

Cold sweat poured over the princess as she worked to place the explosive substance into the glass containers. There were four vials to each bomb, and she had to hold the seals with her magic as well. After several tense sweat dropping seconds, she sealed the mixture and breathed a sigh of relief.

“Good job,” Sweet dreams congratulated, eying the three bombs. On the ground, the Lieutenant skimmed over the reference book Amatex had taken out. “The Overheat special. Created by Starwind the Beardless, finely grind down orange gems and add gelignite. Orange gems have a property of enhancing explosions. Use standard grenade as an ignition source. Be sure to be at least… sweet Celestia two hundred hundred meters away? Flames of the explosion will take a glue-like property when airborne and stick to targets, flames can only be put out by using anti-fire chemical formula located on page fifteen.”

Amatex looked nervous as they all stared at him. “I don’t have the materials to make the chemical, be careful.”

Sweet Dreams nodded as she placed a bomb in each of their saddlebags, save for Princess Cadence. Clearing the bedroll, she led the others over to chalk drawing she made on the floor. “After observing the area I’ve made a rough sketch of our target. As seen here. I’ve chosen this base.”

“Isn’t it a little close?” Far Reach asked concerned. “If things go bad the clock tower would make a good fall back point.”

“No, after the attack I plan to group back up with the others, and we all make a break for it in the chaos. The attack will draw the attention of the frontlines, and hopefully, enough troops will scramble to the center of the city while we go around to regroup and head out the long way.”

“That will take too long,” Amatex grunted. “It would be better if one of us goes back to the others and warns them ahead of time. In fact, better yet, instead of struggling to regroup once the bombs go off Shining Armor’s group can go out one way, while the bomb team heads out another.”

Sweet Dreams tapped her chin at the idea. Weighing the pros and cons. “You may be right. Coordinating with the others on the spot will be hard. Plus, we’d waste time getting to them, shortening our window of escape. The obvious choice to go would be you, Princess.”

“Now just hold it right there,” Cadence protested. “It wouldn’t be better for me tactically to go with the bombing group. Once the bomb goes off, I can teleport the three of us out of there. With all the chaos it should be safe to use my magic to escape the city.”

“I can’t disagree with the logic, but you’re a priority target. It’s more important that we get you out first.” Argued Sweet Dreams. Cadence sat up straight flashing a smirk that announced the princess had counter to her statement.

“Whose to say going to Shining Armor’s group would be the quickest or safety way? Speaking logically as you say. A smaller group can cover much more ground and move faster. Thus, a higher chance of me escaping.”

“It’s also risky.”

“So is going back to the basement without you. Your stealth skills are the sole reason we made it this far Sweet Dreams. Unless you want to go?”

She grumbled at the Princess’s statement. “You know I can’t do that. You three would never get within a hundred yards of that base. We need Amatex in case something comes up with the bombs so Far Reach would have to be the one to go. Your sharp eyes will hopefully be enough to get you back to Shining Armor undetected.”

They sat in collective silence; each one knowing this was the only option they had. Gathering up the scattered equipment the four ponies packed up. Amatex held two bombs while Sweet Dreams carried one. Whatever couldn’t fit inside their saddlebags because of the bombs bulk was discarded.

Descending the stairs, the four made quick progress, the mechanical noise of the clock tower covered their tracks once again. At the base of the tower, they separated. Far Reach galloped into the nearest alley, never looking back as he slinked into the shadows.

(I hope he makes it.) Sweet Dreams prayed, leading Amatex and Cadence toward their target. The streets were dense with patrols. Sneaking around with three ponies was difficult, four might have been impossible with their current level of stealth.

Following her, the mental image of the city Sweet Dreams ducked and weaved, their progress slow, but steady. As they pressed themselves against the wall, waiting for a patrol to pass, Sweet Dreams eyed Cadence, who was staring at the direction of the castle.

The capture of Twilight Sparkle weighed heavily on the Princess. Any capture from their side would, thought the fact the unicorn was her sister in law elevated things. As much as Sweet Dreams wanted to go save Twilight as well, it wasn’t in the cards. Their group could never get in there alive to retrieve her.

If she was right, that was the real reason Cadence wanted to be on the bombing team. Once the bombs went off, Sweet Dreams was sure the Princess would use her teleport to get them far away as possible and then jump again towards the castle to go after Twilight. Most likely by herself. Cadence probably thought she was playing it cool by not bringing it up or objecting to leaving Twilight behind for now, but her silence gave her away. At least that was her theory. Sweet Dreams didn’t know Princess Cadence well enough to know just how reckless she could be, but in her gut, she knew the princess would go after Twilight.

(And sadly, it will be my duty to try and stop her. Good thing I’m not a career seeker. I doubt I’ll be getting any promotions for stopping the recuse of Celestia’s student and Cadence’s sister in law.)

“Sweet Dreams,” Cadence whispered nudging her shoulder. “Is the coast clear?”

Shaking her head Sweet Dreams took another look and found the street empty. Getting her wits back she led the two across to the next alley and thus began the game of duck and weave again. Soon a noise of joyful music and laughter could be heard. The trio emerged from the shadows with a pile of crates stacked four high. Between the spaces between the containers, hundreds of Equinox partying. There was at least one entire company stationed here. The roaring glow of the bonfire made their shows dance as the enemy soldiers partook in food and drink.

“It’s here! The war is finally here!” One cheered.

“Those bastards on the front are so lucky! I owe some of them drinks now! I wanted to be the first to kill the evil Equestrians!” Said another half drunk.

A third said. This one older and wearing a green cape. An officer perhaps? “Don’t get too drunk boys, we’re relief unit. Things are quiet now, but don’t have more than two cups of wine.”

“Ah, you worry too much you, old coot. Lord Ombre and Commander Bright got this in the bag!”

Sweet Dreams motioned for Amatex and Cadence to follow her, leading them toward the wall and crates met. (I can’t believe they were dumb enough to stack their supplies next to an alley like this, let alone cover the ally with said supplies too. This is almost too perfect. If not for what they said, I would almost feel sorry for them.)

“Amatex place the bombs on the back of these crates and set the timers.” She ordered. “The bombs should have enough force to turn all these wood crates into shrapnel.”

Amatex nodded and began placing the bombs. One where they were, one in the center, and one on the opposite end. Sweet Dreams was a little perplexed when Amatex pulled out a cord of sting and began tying it to the pins of the bombs.

“Don’t tell me.”

“No timers, sorry ma’am,” Amatex said sitting on the ground with all three strings before him. “No more rope either. Why don’t you ladies go on ahead, I’ll catch up.”

“Drop the macho crap, you know you won’t survive the blast.” Sweet Dreams retorted with tears. There’s got to be another way.”

“Maybe, but we don’t have time to find one.”

“What about shooting them with your hoof blaster? Surely you can do that?” Cadence offered.

Amatex shook his head. “They need to go off all at once. The shockwaves might cancel each other out and lessen the damage. Look I’m single, I’m a grunt, let me do this. I’ll be the sacrificial pawn. I don't mind a good tombstone in the heroes section.”

“I could shield you.” Cadence insisted. “There’s no need for you to die today.”

“Appreciate the thought, but this boom is going to be big, your magic might not hold it back. Teleportation is out too; I can’t risk you waiting for the bombs to go off and teleport all three of us. Can you even teleport two ponies in eight seconds?”

Cadence hung her head. “No, not without knowing where I’m going, and I’d need to charge up magic for three of us.”

He nodded, “Because extra bodies cause drag, shortening the distance traveled. Now you two go, I’ll do my duty once you get out of here.” Amatex took the ends of the rope in his mouth, bringing an end to the argument. “It’s been a pleasure serving under you.”

Sweet Dreams saluted as Cadence flared her horn, the two mares disappeared in a blink. Once the last sparkle of magic dissipated and the enemy became aware of the disturbance. Amatex tugged on the ropes. The pins of the grenades popped loose perfectly in sync.

“One, two, three…”

“Something’s going on over there!”

“Four, five…”

“I see an Equestrian behind the crates!”

“Six, Seven…”

“Get them!”

“Eight…”


Cadence and Sweet Dreams appeared on the roof of the clock tower, the princess panting from the long jump. There was a horrible ringing in their ears. The shockwave of the blast must have hit them mid-teleport, the shockwave disabling their hearing temporarily. They heard nothing as a giant fireball engulfed the enemy base, the fire covered the entire block. A giant glow in the middle of the black city. The screams of the wounded soon reached them as their hearing returned.

“We should go.” Sweet Dreams said somberly.

“Yeah, we should go east to keep them off Far Reach’s trail,” Cadence said absentmindedly. Amatex’s sacrifice weighed heavily on her, and it made her wonder if Shining would have done the same. Maybe if there was no other choice and the thought scared her. (I kind of get now why Celestia was never gung-ho about pressing ponies into military service.)
“Hopefully this will be of help to the others enter the city.”

“Even a quick response could take hours. We better get out of this area and out of this hellhole.” Sweet Dreams advised pulling the pink alicorn towards the edge of the roof. The enemy was focused on the fires. They’d probably think it was sneak attack and a lot of the patrols would probably run towards the explosion. This would the perfect time to sneak around unnoticed.

Cadence offered no resistance following Sweet Dreams east. The two mares glided smoothly over the streets of the city, weaving between alleys and unpopulated roads. Beneath them, hordes of enemy soldiers ran towards the city center. From their varied shouts none of them knew what was going on, nor did their leaders seem to either.

“Their communications don’t seem very sophisticated.” Sweet Dreams noted as she and Cadence rested on the ledge, waiting for the gaggle of troops to get moving again. Two units, a total of forty, met at the crossroads the two officers exchanging information. She didn’t bother risking getting closer to hear what they were saying. The chatter from their units would have interfered with her superb hearing even if she did.

So, they waited. Five, ten and then fifteen painful minutes passed, and the soldiers finally moved on. She could hardly believe they would stall for that long, but then she didn’t know what their protocol for an event like this was. From Fierce Fury’s lessons, he taught all units in the immediate area would help, but any pony outside a specific zone was to remain at their post. They had gotten lucky in the beginning being able to fly several blocks through the city unnoticed, but that window was shrinking with every second the soldier’s of Sombra got to collect information and react to the crisis.

“Let’s go.” Sweet Dreams urged scrambling across the ledge and gliding into the alleyway again. Cadence followed her lead, and they flew low and quick over the buildings, keeping an eye out for enemy patrols. If any ground patrols spotted them, it would look odd to be going in the opposite direction of everypony else. If their armor didn’t give them away outright, that is. Which is why despite how desperate they were to leave; they weren’t going so fast as to draw attention.

“The edge of the city.” Cadence declared as they neared the green crystal grass of the plains. The green plains provided a stark contrast to the black crystal of the city, much like a light at the end of a dark tunnel.

“Almost there,” Sweet Dreams fretted, feeling of foreboding rising within her. Things were going well, in fact, they were great as far as their escape was concerned, so what was this feeling in her stomach? Why did the plains that offered their freedom suddenly scare her?

The answer to the question came in the form of a pony, a unicorn to be precise, a black unicorn with a curved pink horn, pink and black mane and sporting an ornate red cape with white fur trim. Resting upon the mare’s head was a small crown. Symbolizing her status, royal. She was a princess.

“Please tell me she’s one of your Princess friends, Princess Cadence?” Sweet Dreams begged; Cadence shook her head.

“She’s no friend of mine.” She confirmed as a magical barrier rose at the edge of the city. The pink wall flew over them forming a dome that covered an entire quarter of the town. When compared to Shining Armor’s ability to cover all of Canterlot that wouldn’t seem as impressive, but the Crystal Empire was much more spread out and by Cadence’s curacy glance the dome could have easily fit most of Canterlot. That was assuming this was the limits of the mare’s powers. Somepony had cast an enormous net just to capture them.

“Come down here.” The mare demanded her tone that of one who expected her orders to be heeded.

Reluctantly Sweet Dreams and Cadence complied, landing a fair distance away, while still in speaking distance. “Introduce yourselves,” The black mare ordered.

Cadence stood up straight and dignified. If the royal trappings on the mare were accurate, they were of the same rank. Even if they were on opposite sides, a certain amount of respect was due. “You first. I see we are in the presence of royalty, while so are you, it is only proper for you to introduce yourself first.”

“Princess what are you doing?” Sweet Dreams hissed, not liking that Cadence had given away her status so quickly. Though if it weren’t apparent by her horn and wings, still, it would be nice if her VIP didn’t paint a target on herself.

“Ah, I see,” The unicorn replied her eyes zeroing in on the Cadence’s horn and wings. “Very well, it is only proper. I am First Princess Zil Von Rosa, eldest daughter of King Sombra, and leader of the Maiden Legion. Who are you that call themselves my peer?”

Cadence breathed and stepped forward. “I am Third Princess of Equestria, The Princess of Love, Princess Mi Amor Cadenza, Cadence for short.”

Zil chuckled. “And I thought my title was a mouthful. Princess of love, huh? Not crystals or anything like that? Whatever I guess, so you have any good romance novels?”

“I know of few, but I am not an author of any nor do I have any on me. Wouldn’t be appropriate given the situation.”

“I suppose that’s to be expected. That’s a shame. I was hoping you’d have one, if you did, I would have been willing to let you pass with little resistance.” Zil said sounding haggard. She hung her head her entire body slouched. “It’s tough being the oldest daughter and second oldest child. Dad pushes a lot of work on me. I really didn’t want to deal with you two, I’m busy enough already, but none of the soldiers were clever enough not to run towards that fireball you created. Leaving this vital post unguarded.”

Zil ground her teeth two sets of fangs poked out between her lips. Her face contorting with rage. “Really it ticks me off. I was enjoying my book, sitting back and letting my brothers deal with the battle. But nope, that was too much to ask!” Zil’s expression softened, returning to calm and composed. “Ah, sorry, sometimes you just need to vent, right? Well, I guess I better kill you now.”

Sweet Dreams moved in front of Cadence spreading her wings to cover the princess. “You get through that barrier. I’ll hold her off!” With a flick of her wings she equipped her wing blades, and unsheathed a boot blade and equipped a small buckler to her off leg.

“Sweet Dreams!” Cadence screamed, but the bat pony was already on the attack. With high speed she covered the distance between her and Zil, baring down on the dark Princess with all three blades. Zil moved her head slightly dodging the boot knife, with a twirl she danced under the wing blade and then with her magic Zil grabbed Sweet Dreams by the leg and dragged her high into the air, higher than the buildings and then brought her down at breakneck speeds!

“No!” Cadence screamed wielding her own magic to stop Sweet Dreams from being added to the pavement. The Thestral was pressed against a flat blue shield an inch from the ground, while Zil’s pink magic clung to her leg. She let out a scream as her bound leg was bent against the shield. The popping of bones filled the air. Cadence released her spell, and Sweet Dream hit the ground, but at least she wasn’t a puddle of gore. Her left back leg wasn’t so lucky, the leg bent opposite of the way it should be.

“Sweet Celestia’s teat!” Sweet Dreams swore and put pressure on her leg. Zil’s unsympathetic gaze unnerved her as the dark Princess began to twist the already broken leg. “You're going to tear it off! Stop it! Fucking stop it, you bitch!”

“I’m afraid that’s my intent, little thestral.” Zil calmly said while Sweet Dreams vainly tried to stop the tearing of her leg. “I’d suggest taking a deep breath and biting down on something.”

“Fuck you!” Sweet Dreams jabbed with her boot blade but was well out of reach. With a focused breath, she sucked in as much as she could, biting back her screams of pain to release a sonic shriek at Zil. A pink field of magic surrounded the dark Princess, absorbing the sound attack.

“Nice try.” Zil commended adjusting her magic for the final twist.

“Let her go!”

Zil released Sweet Dreams and spun around toward Cadence. Several crystal spikes bounced off the shield. She observed the crude weapons and gazed upon the Princess of love brandishing a crystal spear and shield while levitating several more dirks. Though they looked more like arrows.

“I would have expected you to use a bow. Like the Alicorn of Love of old, Cupid. I see you kept the arrows at least.”

Lance aloft in her magic Cadence stalked toward Zil. “Sweet Dreams if you can get away, I will deal with her.” Twirling her spear, she pointed the tip at Zil, who remained unphased. “Came at me.”

“Well you heard her; no commoners allowed in this fight.” Zil grabbed Sweet Dreams with her magic and sent the poor thestral skipping across the cobblestone road. Sweet Dreams screamed as she rolled up against a wall getting a first-class seat between the battle of Princesses.

“Do not think I’ll let you get away with that!” Cadence declared taking flight.

“A smarter less honorable pony would have charged their weapon and pierced my skull from behind. For that chivalry, I will respond in kind.” Zil said drawing a black rapier and buckler from a portal. “En garde.”

Cadence didn’t hesitate, and launched a barrage of crystal daggers at Zil and fired a series of magical blasts while circling around the dark Princess. She knew she was in trouble as Zil elegantly and smoothly deflected her attacks with her rapier. The narrow black blade making short work of the spikes and magic attacks. Her stance and no waste of movement were that a of a pony well-practiced. Cadence wasn’t so confident in her own ability. The sum of her combat experience was her week training with Luna and a few weeks of self-practice.

(I should have done more sparing.) Cadence lamented as she rotated her spear, filling the weapon with magic, she let it fly. The lance spiraled toward Zil, who raise buckler, sparks flew as crystal met metal, Cadence willed her lance to keep drilling as Zil tried to defect the attack. (Why isn’t she using her magic to block? Wait… where’s her sword?)

In a very sixth sense moment Cadence raised her own shield to cover her neck, the point of the rapier punctured the surface of the shield’s protection digging into her armored boot. A bead of sweat traveled down her throat as the sharp edge of the blade glistened with magic.

“You should concentrate!” Zil sang, bringing Cadence back into focus just in time for her own spear to come flying back at her! With a grunt and snarl, she took control of her weapon once again, while Zil ripped her rapier free, nearly splitting the shield in two! “And you need better equipment. Did you serious bring beginner level gear to a war? That stuff is only good for blocking practice weapons. Real steel tends to make a mess of them, you know?”

“I’m aware.” Cadence retorted hotly tossing her shield aside. How had she not thought of that! (Night Patrol gave me armor, but I brought my own weapons and shield because I was used to using them. I forgot they were only for practice.)

If only to mock her further Cadence realized the tip of her spear was dull. She hadn’t engaged in equipment maintenance either. (I’ll have to get her with the spikes. I know those are sharp.)

Gaining some height Cadence circled around Zil from the air to keep her off balance or at least make her dizzy maybe. Zil comfortably kept in step with her, holding her weapon close and turning slowly, ready for a quick counter. Bringing forth her dirks Cadence spread them out into a long firing line and let them loose. The ten spikes scattered attacking from every direction and angle. Even if Zil was more skilled even she couldn’t block them all.

Much to Cadence’s disheartening. Zil moved faster the lighting, knocking the spikes aside with her rapier with precise ease. Never once resorting to a dome shield or any shield of magic. The display of her martial arts skills was enough for Cadence to know close combat would be her doom.

(Fighting Luna’s way won’t do me much good. Maybe Celestia’s style will be better.) During her training with Luna, her aunt explained the varies ways to fight and what methods her and Celestia preferred. Luna preferred rapid-fire melee with some magic casting. Celestia would be classified as a magical artillery caster, launching massive spells with a broad area effect. Luna didn’t tell her which style was better only that Cadence would have to decide on what suited her best, before listing several other methods and combos. (I never did find out what suited me, but here I go.)

Keeping her air advantage Cadence began crafting her spell. Nearby buildings started to break down turning to shards of crystal, hundred of them. The razor edge of the shards glistened as Cadence willed them forward becoming a tornado of razor-sharp stone.

(Diamond Rain!)

Zil did not back down from the attack, instead she stuck her rapier into the street and flared her horn, pink energy radiated off the curved appendage, the air crackled with power as she reared back and fired a mix of pink fire and lightning. The two spells met creating a massive surge of energy as the gems crackled and exploded, the dust adding fuel the raging fire. Cadence flapped her wings absent-mindedly as her spell was utterly overpowered.

“Not yet!” She willed clusters of gems to burrow out of the ground attacking Zil from both sides. The dark Princess retaliated with two quick blasts of fire and lightning. She wheeled around firing a third at Cadence, who raised a barrier to block.

Taking evasive actions, Cadence fired a barrage of magic blasts. Zil responded in kind, running all over the place to make a harder target. It was down to who had more stamina now. Cadence let out a wild scream as her horn began to overheat, the pain going right to the brain, but she persisted diving toward Zil to get a better shot.

Zil saw the princess coming, her horn burned with intense heat. A smile graced her lips. She was enjoying this. Holding back her shot she dodged Cadence’s wild attacks, one glanced her shoulders singeing it slightly. Cadence’s attacks come to a stop as the Princess of Love reached her limit, her horn red hot. For a brief second Cadence’s eyes rolled back and Zil lined up her shot and fired. The charged blast hit the Princess of Love dead center, her armor exploding off her body as she hit the ground hard.

“Whoof, that was more intense then I was expecting,” Zil said wiping her brow while fanning her horn. She tried to levitate her rapier over for the finishing blow, but even that was beyond her as the weapon fell from her grip to clatter against the ground. “Ugh, this is such a pain. I don’t like doing this brutal stuff.” She lamented raising her foreleg to crush Cadence’s neck. She brought her black booted hoof down only for a shell of ice to engulf Cadence, saving her life.

Zil whirled around expecting another enemy, but relaxed when she saw the light blue and white fur cape of her youngest sister. “Skaggi, what are you doing here?”

A light blue curved horn poked out from under the fur hood the third daughter of Sombra wore, exposing only her light grey muzzle and concealing the rest of her face. A constant fog of cold air escaped the third princess’s mouth as she breathed.

“Daddy said she was to be taken alive. Scath is looking for her now.”

“I see, while I found her, so I guess that means she mine?” Zil laughed, unsure what she would do the Princess of Love. She shook her head knowing her father wouldn’t let her keep such a valuable breeding tool. “Unless he lets me decide who she breeds with? I guess that would be fun. Maybe I’ll give that right to Cien for her next book.”

Remembering her little sister was within earshot Zil coughed to cover up her mumblings and gave her attention to Skaggi who now held the unconscious thestral from earlier by the neck, much like how a child carried a doll.

“You want her?” Zil inquired. Skaggi silently nodded yes. “Then she’s yours. Now come let’s get back to the castle. Things have certainly gotten exciting. I wonder what will happen next?” She said aloud while picking up her rapier and getting Cadence onto her back. “What do you think Skaggi?”

“I want more cute new dolls.” The youngest princess replied squeezing Sweet Dreams as if she were actually a doll.

“Well, I’m sure there will be more cute mares for you to add to your collection. Now come on, let’s go find some soldiers to carry these louts for us. I’m sure father will be quite pleased with us.”


Equestrian FOB


“Commander Topaz look at that! Another explosion!”

“I have eyes,” he rebuked turning his eyes from the center of the city to the second ball of fire that now blossomed on the eastern edge. He could only assume it was the work of their allies inside the city. What worried him was the second explosion was in a place that was of no tactical value as far as he could tell. Worse case somepony was trying to escape, and it turned into a fight. “Get scouts over to the east side and see what they can find.”

“Yes sir!” one of the pegasi saluted and flew off with three others to carry out the command.

With that taken care of Topaz checked the time and tried to radio Celestia and Luna to get a status on the third wave. Still nothing. So, he ordered a pony to fly outside and personally deliver the message to the nearest cloud base before turning his attention back to the enemy lines.

The soldiers of Sombra were breaking, a considerable number of them rushing into the city, probably to check on their comrades. Leaving their frontlines undermanned. He looked down the center of the base where his troops stood in mass. Third wave or no, this was a chance he couldn’t let pass any longer.

“Colonel Spitfire begin ship bombardment and bombing runs. Squads one through five form up! We’re moving out ASAP! Attack the enemy base! We make for the City!”

“Yes, sir!”

PreviousChapters Next