• Published 2nd Nov 2016
  • 2,216 Views, 217 Comments

Night Patrol 2: Awakening - Foxgear



A thousand years she was in the moon, now she's back and living in a strange new world. Her friends and comrades gone, nothing but dust in the dirt. With only her sister Luna look towards the future, but the past keeps calling her back.

  • ...
5
 217
 2,216

PreviousChapters Next
Welcome to Nippon

Night Patrol 2 Awakening ch 6

By Foxgear


The eastern pony nation of Nippon, located far across the eastern sea of Equestria, long and noble ally of the royal sister's thanks to the sacrifice of Kira Perfecta, who married Prince Shinto one thousand years ago. To this day Kira’s descendants rule the eastern nation. King Kusanagi, Kira’s great times six grandson rules as King, alongside his Queen, Haibara, together they sired three foals.

“Or was it four?” Luna questioned with doubt. This would be her first visit to Nippon in thousands of years, her last long before the founding of Equestria. She wanted to make a good impression on the royal family, they were descendants of her dear friend and she wants to get on the right hoof right away. Which is why she was reading Daring's very detailed report of the royal family and how to pronounce their names, her Nippon was very rusty.

Standing at the bow of the Le Flur, Luna looks out to the clear skies and seas, since the pirate attack three days ago they had been on high alert keeping an eye out for any more pirate vessels. Thankfully the days have been calm and uneventful. Leaving her with much time to think and ponder on what she discovered on those pirate ships along with her Nippon studies.

The Kaiser pony of Germane had been the one to organize the pirates. Whether or not he was intending to attack only Equestrian vessels or all vessels was unknown, but she worries what he could be planning. Her old enemy Hoofenstein had been from Germane, as had many of his followers. It's been a thousand years and she was uncertain where the country stood in the world. She’s looked at hundreds of documents and news from all over the world, but she found little on Germane during her studies after returning. They have been quiet for many years since they helped Belgiumane in their Zebra campaigns nearly twenty years ago.

“Is that Nippon?” Night Glider excitedly asked running to the tip of the bow.

Off in the distance a wall of low hanging clouds cleared away, revealing a city in the horizon filled with tall castle-like structures and ports lining the water’s edge and two castles six tiers tall overlooking it all on a hill.

“I believe it is,” answered Luna with a smile, her chest swelling with excitement, if not for her turning evil she could have seen the beautiful city back then. She even missed Kira’s wedding.

(Kira, you have created a wonderful kingdom my friend; I hope you were happy in the end.)

“Ships incoming!” Vain Gull hollered over the speakers, “Everypony prepare for the inspection crew!”

The Le Flur stops on a floating cloud as several battleships that reminded Luna of the Moon Cutter circle around them, lowering boarding ramps. Nippon was a land of mainly earth ponies, with few pegasi, and even fewer unicorns, it was no surprise they wouldn’t just have a team of pegasi fly up and check them. As a line of five armored ponies march down from one of the ships, Luna couldn’t help but notice the pony in front seemed familiar somehow.

The pony was a mare with a pink coat, adorn in blue armor; the ponies behind her wore red and they all stood behind her in a perfect line as she step forward, her gaze landing on all of them before stopping on Luna. There something strange happened. The mare gasped doing a little skip and jump, a pair of wings popping out of her sides as her jaw drops to reveal tiny sharp teeth, the mare was part dragon pony!

“Are you Princess Luna?” The mare asked excitedly, the line of armored ponies behind her murmur with excitement. Luna wondered what all the fuss was about.

“I am…”

“Oh my gosh, this is so exciting! I can’t believe I get to be the first pony to welcome you to Nippon! This is such an honor! I’m a huge fan, well everypony is a huge fan, but I’m one of the bigger fans! My mother told me stories about you passed down in our family and she said someday you would return and you’d come visit and you did! Oh, my sisters are going to be so jealous! Oh, I’m Cherry Blossom by the way!”

Luna blinks, (Wow, I think I just found the Nippon version of the element of Laughter, so much energy.)

“A pleasure to meet you Cherry Blossom, but…”

“Oh, you can call me Sakura, it’s how you say my name in Nippon. We kind of did a weird switch after the Mother Queen came into power a thousand years ago, we started speaking more Equestrian, but we kept naming ourselves in Nippon dialect. Oh sorry, I interrupted you, how rude of me.” Sakura bows deeply, seemly reigning herself in at the same time. “How shameful, and I wanted to act all cool too… now you probably think I’m an airhead, oh shimata! I’m on duty too! Ugh, Lord Kiri is going to scold me again!”

“Now, now, calm down. I do not know why you are so eager to meet me, but it is appreciated if a bit unexpected. No harm was done.” Luna hoped her words would reassure the mare, but instead it only caused Sakura and her entourage of soldier stare back at her with what could only be described as disbelief and horror. “Is there something on my face?”

“I beg your pardon Princess, but you’re the Tsukihime! The Princess of the Moon! Why wouldn’t we be excited to meet you? The Mother Queen told any and everypony your stories of valor and heroics and they intern told their foals and they theirs! You’re basically a living legend to us!”

(My own country nearly forgot about me and this one practically worships me, quite the contrast.)

“I hope I don’t disappoint, it’s hard to live up to a thousand years of hype,” chuckles Luna, uncertain what to do. What kind of stories had this Mother Queen, who she assumes was Kira, told them? Acting natural was probably her best bet till she found that out.

Sakura coughed awkwardly as she blushed, “Well… you are a bit shorter than I imagined you’d be… I was kind of thinking you’d be as tall as Princess Celestia.”

Again with the difference in height between her and Celestia, she was a younger and still growing! Alicorns take longer to grow! Holding back her irritation, Luna put on her best smile, “So I am, now if you could please inspect our ship so we may go to port…”

“Oh, right sorry,” Sakura frigates under Luna’s narrowing gaze. “How to say this… foreign airships can’t dock on the mainland.”

“I beg your pardon?”

“Well, it’s just… who was it… King Yamato! Yes, King Yamato, about two hundred years ago made a law that said foreign ships could not dock on the mainland after the Poreans hid a bunch of soldiers on several merchant ships and burned down the capital. So what we do is we leave your ship on a cloud, your crew will be left at one of the floating fortresses in the meantime, while I take you and your guards abroad by ship to the mainland.”

Vain Gull approached the group lighting his pipe, “That’s standard procedure your majesty, don’t worry we’ll be fine.”

Everypony waited for Luna to reply, many expecting some sort of outburst or something, but not a smile and joyful laughter, “My, my, what an ingenious security set up. Very effective and interesting, I rather like it; I might have to set something similar up back home.”

Sakura hesitated, most foreign royalties raised a fuss, “You’re… not mad?”

Luna blinks at the question, “No, of course not. Why should I be? This is your country, these are your borders, you may manage them as you like.”

“Oh… good point,” Sakura coughs and directs her troops to encircle the princess and the others, “We’ll be escorting you, your guards are to stay near you at all times, I probably don’t need to tell you how bad it would look if we caught them wondering around on their own.”

Luna’s eyes feel to Daring, who was looking away, and whistling, what a picture of innocence she was. “Don’t worry; my guards are fully capable and dependable.”

“Of course they are! You wouldn’t have picked them if they weren’t! I mean you’re the Tsukihime,” laughed Sakura causing Luna cringe, she really needs to found out what stories Kira passed down and how embellish they were.

The ship that was to ferry them to the harbor had a familiar feeling to it as Luna walked upon it's deck. It was a remodeled Nippon sea vessel configured for flight, much like the Moon Cutter had been. The shape was more rigid and rectangular, unlike the Moon Cutter, which had been more oval shaped. The sail was also different, looking like a fin of fish, rather than a square like in the old days. She wondered what the advantage of it was. It was a fine vessel none the less and Luna desired to have one. Perhaps she could trade the Le Flur for one?

“What’s the plan when we land? Keep a solid square formation around you?” Asked Spitfire, looking back to Daring with a frown. “Assuming we still have four after we dock that is.”

“I’ll be with you till she goes home,” Interrupted Daring. “I may be separating from you here, but I still have to complete this mission first. Besides I need to do some research and the city will be a perfect place to do that.”

“How wonderful,” growls Spitfire, keeping her tongue tied from saying anything more.

Luna ignores the tension between Daring and Spitfire, hoping their relationship was simply a friendly rivalry and nothing more, “A simple box formation will be fine Spitfire. Hopefully, after we met with the king you will all be given more free reign to move about, this looks like a wonderful city to sight see.”

“Oh it is Princess,” Sakura jovially intruded, “We’re even having a festival this week, so you came just in time for some fun!”

Luna’s eyes shrank to that of pins, (A festival? Another visit during a festival? Gods I hope there isn’t another invasion!)

“How… wonderful… there isn’t perchance an arena is there?”

“Of course! We love dueling! Would you be interested in partaking in the fights?”

“Probably not, last time the Crystal Empire was invaded and wiped off the face of the earth. The time after the second Griffon War started not two days after I participated in a fight against the griffons.”

Sakura blinks, “Oh right… I forgot… but that doesn’t mean you still can’t come and watch? One of my sisters is fighting and I know she would be excited to have you come and see her, she’s another big fan like me!”

Luna chuckles, “I can only imagine. Speaking of which, you spoke of stories passed down by your family and I can see you are part dragon pony if you don’t mind. Who are you descended from?”

“I was wondering when you’d ask that. My family came here a thousand years ago, my ancestral grandfather is Trinity,” Sakura said with pride, “He mated with one of the rinin that had settled here during the time. Kind of weird, but my family has an unusually high amount of triplets in it. In fact, my sisters and I are triples, Peach Blossom, and Kaki Blossom, Momo and Kaki in Nippon.”

“I can only imagine Trinity was one of the Triplets, three Rinin that looked exactly alike. His brother Thrice just died a little a while ago. I suppose Trinity is already gone?”

Sakura nodded solemnly, “Yeah, I got to meet him once when I was very young, but I don’t really remember him very well.”

The vitality of dragon ponies would forever impress her. Leaving Luna wondering how many of her former patrollers were able to leave their stories behind to their descendants. The thought brought a bit of happiness to her as not many ponies beyond her and Celestia could do such a thing, not that she or Celestia have any descendants any more. Politics made that too much of a liability, unfortunately.

However, her happiness quickly fades as her mind drifted to the darker realities of living for so long. Thrice had made it nearly a thousand years, bitterly clinging to life just to see her again, she wondered how many others were doing the same? How many dragon ponies were fighting for every minute just for the chance to see her again? One, a dozen, a hundred or even worse none, maybe Thrice was the last? If so, how many held on for so long and got nothing for their effort?

“Princess, we’re disembarking,” said Spitfire, looking at her with worry. Luna quickly wipes away the tears that threaten to fall and trots down the ramp, Spitfire’s eyes following her with every step.

Ignoring Spitfire’s worries, for the time being, Luna excitedly trotted up the main street that overlooked the harbor. All around Nippon ponies buzzed around in high spirits as stalls with goodies lined the streets, presenting customers with their wares. Everypony dressed in elaborately decorated kimonos as they partook in the festival. Much like before with the airship, she desired one for herself finding the eastern clothing very intriguing.

“And you were worried about us running off,” said Spitfire appearing at her side.

“Sorry, I enjoy seeing new things and there are many new things to enjoy after a thousand years.”

“I suppose you have a point. I know you came here to look for that medal thing, but why don’t you try and enjoy yourself too,” suggested Spitfire.

“You’re such a mother hen Spitfire, but it would be nice to take some time to enjoy the festival. Hopefully, there won’t be an invasion this time. Sakura would it be possible if we take a more scenic route to the castle?”

The pink pony nods, “Of course, the king is in a meeting right now and probably will be for the next hour or so, as long as I have you at the castle by then everything will be fine. How about we go meet my sisters? They should be at the fairgrounds getting ready for their matches.”

“Sounds fun, come along everypony.”


The Nippon fairgrounds or at least the constants part of it was an array of tents lined up in numerous rows. One row, in particular, row 11 tent 33, housed one Peach Blossom or Momo. Momo looking just like her sisters wore a grease-stained green headband to separate herself from her sisters. Wiping the sweat from her brow she stepped back from her life’s work with pride. She was sure to win this year!

“Momo, Momo are you here?” The voice of her sister Sakura called, she knew it had to be Sakura because of the clunking sound of her armor. She wondered what Sakura was doing here; she was supposed to be out on harbor duty today.

“I’m here Sakura, but what are you doing here?” She replies trotting towards the other side of the sheet that divides the tent. She didn’t want the other teams to see what she was working on. Rounding the corner she saw her fellow triplet standing at the tent entrance with a big grin. “You didn’t skip out on your duties to enjoy the festival, did you? Kaki will scold you once she finds out.”

If anything Sakura’s smile grew wider, she rocked back and forth, a habit she did when she was excited about something; it usually meant bad things for Momo, though, more than likely a prank. “What did you do?”

“I didn’t do anything! Also, I’m doing my job, it just happens to involve wandering around the fairgrounds for a little bit. Also, I have a surprise for you!”

Momo turns and scoffs, “Whatever it is I want nothing to do with it! Last time I fell for one your surprises I found myself covered in cream in the public square, I was dubbed Princess Peaches and Cream thanks to that, also all these weird stallions keep asking me out!”

“I said I was sorry, and I’m making it up to you, look who I ran into at the harbor!”

Momo turns around, “No pony could possibly make me forgive… OH, MY SWORD! Is that Tsukihime!” She screams as Luna enters the tent with her escort. The Princess of the Night smiles and waves at her and she felt like her heart was going to explode with excitement! “Sakura! Sakura do you know who this is!” She yells shaking her sister violently.

Princess Luna chuckles at the display, they were truly sisters. She wondered if the third was the same as these two. “I know Sakura said you were also a fan of me, but I did not expect you would match her in enthusiasm.” Momo stops her shaking of Sakura, the grease covered triplet seem to be on verge of passing out with how fast her breathing was. “Are you ok?”

“Ok… ok… I’m more than ok! I’m great! I get to meet you! I mean, do you even know what kind of impact you had on everyponies life? Well… I guess you might not if you consider the sealing, but your back and I get to meet you! This means I can show you my life’s work!” Momo grabs Luna and drags to around the curtain, Spitfire and the others quickly chasing after them. When they round the corner to the other side they all stop and stare in awe as Momo grandiosely posed in front of her project, an AT-1 Night Patroller Tank. “What do you think impressive, right?”

The four Pegasus nod, while Luna slowly approach the tank brushing her hoof along the armored side of the war machine. She looks at Momo, noticing all the smug and soot covering her body as well as the filthy bandana around her head, the pink pony was the picture of what the tanks mechanic looked like a thousand years ago.

“You made this?”

Momo smiled broadly and nodded, “Yep! I found it in Great Grandpa’s Trinity’s estate and he said if I could fix it, I could have it! It’s taken me nearly sixteen years, but I finally restored it to combat operating status! Now I can finally enter the tank dueling competition!”

Luna blinks, her mind trying to process such an event, “Tank dueling?”

“Aye ma’am, I don’t know about Equestria, but after Lord Starwind moved here a thousand years ago he submitted a lot of designs and the tank was one that really caught fire here. We Nippon’s been using them for as long as we can remember and we’ve even started designing our own a few centuries ago. However that led to a surplus of tanks, so in order to make some money the royal army sold them to private owners and Tank dueling started up. We ram each other and fire disabling rounds till the other tank can no longer operate, the King really enjoys it, so he made a part of the festival and this year I finally get to show my stuff! This old girl may not look it, but I’ve made a few modifications of my own.”

“You still don’t have enough ponies to operate properly,” deadpan Sakura. “Kaki has her own competition and I’ll be on guard duty.”

Momo hmphed, “A minor setback, so Tsukihime… I mean Princess Luna, will you be watching me this year? The Tank Dueling takes place the day after tomorrow; I would be honored if you could come watch me.”

“I will see what I can do, I can make no promises, but I would like to see you in action. This tank… it brings back memories.” Luna lovingly caressed the armor plate. She’s never ridden in one of Starwind’s tanks before, but she’s seen what they can do and her ponies loved them. Too bad they were so expensive to make, even with her vast treasure making the one and then the ten after that had really made a dent in her gold stockpile.

“Princess, the hour is almost up, if we want to get there on time we’ll have to fly the rest of the way,” Warns Sakura.

“Is that so, then we best be going then. It was nice to meet you Momo.”

“Same, tell Kaki hi for me Sakura!” Momo yelled as they exit the tent.


“Ah good… we’re not late,” Sakura sighs in relief as they land at the top of the stairs leading to the castle. The two pony guards by the door roll their eyes as this was a common accordance for the pink pony. How she reached captain rank was beyond them. Nether the less they step out of the way, letting Sakura and company enter without a fuss. She mouthed a silent thank you as she pass by. Not till the doors closed did the two realize just who was with the pink pony captain.

“Was that…” said the guard on the left

“Indeed,” affirmed the guard on the right, “quite the interesting day.”

Inside the castle, Luna and company were amazed by the grand hall. An either side tapestries hung down from the rafters depicting Kings and Queens long pass. At the end of the hall, closest to the thrones, a tapestry depicted Kira and her husband Shinto. A smile spread across Luna’s lips as she looks at the artwork depicting Kira and Shinto side by side. She chuckles at the fact Kira stood taller than Shinto.

Turning her attention to the couple sitting on the thrones… or rather pillows… was the current King and Queen of Nippon. On the right was King Kusanagi, a white pony with a green and white mane, and he sports some rinin features, dragon wings, claws, and horns, looking very similar to Kira, lean and deadly looking. He wore a breastplate and a sash that held his swords. Next to him sat his wife and Queen Haibara, she didn’t have many features that Luna could pick out. What with the white makeup that completely covered her face and her body covered completely by her red kimono that seemed to almost engulfs her in its size. The only feature that she could make out was the Queen reddish brown hair done up in a bun with chopsticks, Kira’s chopsticks.

“A pleasure to finally meet you, Princess Luna, our family has waited a long time to meet you face to face. Forgive me for not meeting you at the docks personally. Had I’d known you were arriving today, I would have been there.” said Kusanagi bowing deeply to her, something a pony of his status did not need to do.

Luna returns to the bow, “Do not let it trouble you King Kusanagi, I am merely thankful you indulged in my selfish request. I trust my sister’s letter detailed my presence?”

“Oh yes! She stated you wished to vacation in our wonderful country while you search for relic correct?”

“Vacation… I suppose I’m doing a bit of that too,” mumbled Luna, she entrusted Celestia to deliver her request to Kusanagi, seems she added a letter of her own too. “Forgive my impatience, but the item I seek, Nightingale’s medal. Do you have any clues as to where it could be?”

The king rubs his chin in thought, “Hmm, forgive me I have not the slightest clue. I had meant to consult the royal treasurer about the item in question, but my meeting delayed me. If you would like, you and your party look warily from your travels. My wife will escort you to your rooms so you may check your possessions, they should have arrived from the harbor by now. After that I would encourage you to enjoy our hot springs before supper. I’m certain by then I will have the information you desire.”

“If you would please follow me,” said Queen Haibara raising off her seat and walking away. She didn’t wait for them respond, indicating they had no choice in the matter. So they bow farewell to the King and hurry after the Queen.

After checking their possessions in their room, which was on the fifth floor, they all walk down to the hot springs behind the castle. There an army of hoof maidens surrounded them and before anypony realized what was happening Luna was stripped of her royal accessories, while Daring, Night Glider, and Spitfire were stripped of their uniforms and Goodnight was pulled away to parts unknown as the maidens tossed them into the open bath. They stood awkwardly with their towels as the Queen bathed in front of them.

“Please, enter, this spring is good for your coat, herbs mixed into the water help keep it soft and silky,” She said inviting them. Luna used to public bathing entered without a second thought, while the other three mares hesitated.

“Where is Goodnight?” Asked Spitfire, not seeing any sign of the stallion, from the water the queen laughed, while Daring scoffed. Unable to glare at royalty Spitfire’s eyes turned to Daring, “What?”

“Nothing, your just ignorant,” Daring entered the spring, leaving Spitfire fuming, Night Glider following her in.

“What’d you say?”

Again Daring scoffs, further angering Spitfire who’s cheeks were puffing up in frustration. “I’m saying you spent too much time in the locker rooms. It may be ok for mares and Stallions to mingle in the wonderbolts shower room, but look where we are. We’re in a foreign country! Bathing with the Queen of said nation, what fool would think it was ok for a stallion to be alone in the same room, let alone bath with her.”

“But’s she not alone, we’re here.”

“Like that would make it better. Really you should study politics and cultural norms more.”

“Enough you two,” Snaps Luna using her magic to clamp Daring’s mouth shut and throw Spitfire into the spring. “I ordered you to behave and you will. Got it?” Both mares nod. “Good, sorry you had to see that your majesty. They’re actually quite dependable when they need to be, off duty they seem to like to act like school fillies, though.”

“Call me Haibara, please. I don’t mind their behavior. We have a few warriors like them as well, I assume you met Sakura?” Luna nods, smiling fondly at the mention of the two triplets. “She and her sisters act in much a similar way, Kaki Blossom is the usually the most serious of the three, have you met her yet?”

“We met Momo, but we haven’t met Kaki yet. She is much different than the other two?” Inquires Luna, imagine what a hoofful the three could probably be.

Haibara tapped her chin, “Not really. Like I said she’s much more serious, almost deadly serious. Probably because Kiri trained her for a little bit when she was young.” Luna’s ears popped up at the name.

“Kiri…?”

“Yes, Kiri, my son, he is the heir to the throne as well. He’s a very stout and serious stallion, wanting to do his best in everything. For one of his leadership lessons he had to teach a class of ponies the way of the sword, and Kaki was part of the class. It’s my hope that they move beyond master and student someday. I’ve invited both to supper tonight, so you’ll be able to meet them soon. Speaking of supper, we should go get ready.”

“Has it been that long already?” Luna looks up in the sky as the sun wanes across the horizon, the moon peeking out to the east. She felt the overwhelming urge to raise the moon, a duty she’s has been unable to do with her reduced magic. None the less her horn sparked to life, trying to move the massive rock in the sky, only for her sister to wrestle control from her and finish raising the moon.

(I have everything in hoof Luna, please relax.) Celestia told her, severing her connect to the moon. Luna look sourly at the moon. It was her moon! Not Celestia’s! Angrily she smacks the water’s surface, growing tired of her sister’s mother hen routine, even a thousand miles away she couldn’t escape Celestia’s dotting. She understood well enough why Celestia was being so protective, but she was equally getting sick of it!

“Luna, we’re going up for supper,” Spitfire said, bring Luna back to reality and the fact she was the only one left in the hot spring. She sighs as she got out, immediately the hoof maidens from before arrived without warning, drying, combing and grooming her mane and coat. When the assault ended she found herself wearing a midnight blue kimono with the moon and stars stitched into the silky fabric. Spitfire was also dressed in one, an orange one with little yellow firebirds on it.

“That suits you nicely,” comments Luna, trying to lighten her mood. She didn’t want Spitfire to worry and mother hen her too.

Spitfire blushed, “It suits you better. I don’t have the looks for such things.”

Smiling softly Luna activates her magic, pulling at Spitfire’s still damp hair and gently twisting it in a bun. She summoned a hoof maiden who quickly provided her with a hair pin, with it Luna stuck it in Spitfire’s hair to keep it in place, a single band fell between the wonderbolt captain’s eyes, but it suited her.

“Don’t sell yourself short, a little effort and you can look as good as any noble mare, if you wanted to that is. Now come on, I don’t know about you, but I’m getting hungry.”

After exiting the bathhouse and catching up to the others, Haibara led them to the dining hall. Along the way, Luna observed the kimono’s given to the others. Daring was sporting a simple olive green kimono with no designs, Night Glider was dressed in a light pink kimono that really contrasted her dark blue coat, and finally Goodnight, who wore a green kimono.

Her eyes drifted to Goodnight’s wings, still tucked tight against his body and hidden under the folds of his kimono, why was he so dead set on hiding them?

“Princess Luna! I hope your bath was enjoyable!” Kusanagi shouted happily as he enters the room. Hugging his back was a little white filly with wings and antlers. “This is my daughter Miso; she’s very excited to meet you. Miso, this is Princess Luna.”

Miso pokes around her father’s head, staring with big silver eyes that made Luna gasp, she looked like a mini Kira! The little filly hopped off her father’s back and flew around the moon princess with an observing gaze that ended with Miso giving Luna a light headbutt and flying back to her father’s back.

“Sorry about that, that’s her way of saying hello, she’s rather shy.”

“It’s no problem,” smiled Luna as she cranes her neck around Kusanagi to get a closer look at Miso. The filly shies away, digging into her father’s long mane to hide. Stepping back Luna looks over the table, filled high with food. Her ponies took their spots on the right side of the table for guests, with her spot nearest to the king. Across the table sat what looked like a male Kira, who she assume was Kiri and beside him a pink mare in a red kimono, who must be Kaki. “I thought you had three foals? Was I mistaken?”

“Our eldest daughter, Sake… is abroad right now,” Haibara answered neutrally.

“Big sister is treasure hunting!” Miso shouts suddenly, causing all eyes to turn to her. The little filly’s eyes locked with her brother’s as if daring him to speak. Kiri sighed as he morphs his hoof into a claw to pick up his chopsticks.

“As the little princess says, Sister Sake is treasure hunting and not running away from her duties.”

“She did not run away!” Miso cried with big tear droplets swelling up around her eyes. A tense silence fell over the dining hall. Haibara stared blankly ahead, leaving Kusanagi to speak, who was looking conflicted as he looked between his youngest and oldest. Wanting to make up for causing the awkwardness Luna picked the filly up with her magic and carried her to the table, setting Miso down between her legs.

“Of course your sister didn’t run away, sister’s don’t abandon sisters, she’ll return and I’m sure she’ll have a ton of stories to tell you when she gets back.” Luna smiled down at the little filly who nodded as she wiped her tears away. “Now which one of these dishes should I try first?”

“Rice balls!” cries Miso pointing to the platter of delicious looking rice balls, though they look more like triangles to Luna. None the less she levitates over a pair, thus beginning the feast.

The rest of dinner proceeded without incident though some of the food selections made the Equestrians grimace from the usual taste. The Nippon royal family laugh it off, saying it was a common occurrence. Even Luna was not unable to stop her mouth from contorting into a pained smile as she bit into an egg roll. Miso laugh joyfully as she raised another to the moon Princess’s face, who felt she had no choice but to take it.

Across the table Kiri and Kaki ate in silence, barely commenting on the presence of Luna or the other Equestrians. The two excused themselves early and left together.

“Time for bed little one,” said Haibara as Miso yawned, laying her head against Luna’s belly. Muttering “wana stay with Princess una” as the Queen lift her from Luna’s care. “Thanks for the help,” Haibara whispered to Luna as she placed Miso on her back.

Now it was just Kusanagi and the Equestrians. The king clears his throat as he finished his drink. “Regarding the matter we spoke of earlier, I have good news. I have acquired the location of the item you see.”

“That’s great, where is it?”

Kusanagi grimaced, “I’m afraid there is also some bad news. The location of the item is in the Mother Queen’s castle, which has been sealed.”

“So just unseal it,” said Spitfire.

“Obviously if he could he wouldn’t have mentioned it,” retorted Daring. Goodnight and Night Glider quickly got between them before they could escalate their argument.

“As your ward says, I cannot unseal the castle, only when the moon eclipses the sun does it open and even after that it is very dangerous to enter. The mother Queen placed all of the Nippon’s treasures inside for safe keeping and placed a security system so dangerous no pony that enters comes out.”

Luna frowned, (What was Kira keeping in there? She wouldn’t go through the trouble for just Nightingale’s medal.) “I can eclipse the sun with my powers; if there are traps inside set by Kira I am certain I will be able to disable them. With your permission, I would like to enter the old castle tomorrow morning.”

Kusanagi looked uncertain but reluctantly nods, “I can’t only assume there is something the Mother Queen only wanted you to have if she set up such a method, but I urge you to be careful. Feel free to take any armor or weapon available in our armory. I know not what is in there, but I know it is something alive. I know this because I remember the stories my grandfather and father told me when the door was opened. We began tossing in items when the door opens and the next time it would open again the items would be gone, taken deeper into the castle. Something stalks those old halls, something dangerous.”

“Understood, can I trust you three to be by my side?” Luna asked looking to her three companions.

“As if we would let you go in alone,” stated Spitfire for the group.

A smile grace Luna’s lips and she places her leg around Spitfire’s neck, “I’m glad to know you have my back, my friend.” Luna turned to Kusanagi. “We will be retiring for the night. We will see you in the morning, your highness.”

“I will make the preparations for you,” said Kusanagi as the Equestrians file out of the room. He look to the old castle wondering if the Princess of the Night was truly ready what was in store. Maybe he should have told her the truth, about what was really in that castle, but the instructions left by the Mother Queen were absolute and even he, the king could not go against them.

They’ve been waiting a thousand years for this after all.


Late that night Spitfire awoke with a burning pain in her back. She wasn’t a softy by any stretch of the imagination, but Nippon beds were glorified sleeping bags! There was a double thick blanket to act as a mattress and that was it.

Nursing her back Spitfire rose from her futon to walk around and loosen her muscles. Since she was already up she decides get some water. Thus she entered the hallway going for the fountain located at the end of the hall for such occasions. Now that was an idea she would like back home.

Trotting at a brisk pace, yet slow enough to still be quiet. Spitfire reach the fountain, dipping her muzzle into the cool water, lapping it up greedily. Some of that food at supper was a lot saltier than she originally thought.

Spitfire’s ears twitch, she immediately spun around, whipping water onto the two approaching ponies that turned out to be Daring and Night Glider. Daring glares as she wipes the water droplets from her coat.

“Thanks for the bath Captain,” Daring sarcastically said as she brush pass Spitfire and dunked her head into the water.

“Excuse me Captain,” bid Night Glider scooting around Spitfire, who quickly stepped aside to let her through.

“You too having a hard time sleeping on the ‘beds’ too?” asked Spitfire wanting to break the silence. Daring raised her head from the water, fighting back a chuckle.

“Hardly, this one was too afraid to walk down here herself.”

Spitfire turned to the blushing newbie, “Really?”

“Something like that, I’m a little homesick. I didn’t know I would be going so far away so soon.”

“You’re a wonderbolt, that’s what’s expected of you,” Spitfire callously stated. Night Glider looked away in shame. Kicking herself mentally, Spitfire decided she better throw out some encouraging words to the young wonderbolt, “Buck up, it’s your first mission, four or five more and you won’t even notice.” The words seem to help as Night Glider smiled. “Ok enough chit chat, time to get back to bed; we only have three hours before we have to be up.”

The two follow Spitfire back towards their rooms, but noise from the Princess’s made the all stop and rush to the door, their ears pressed hard against the thin wood. Giving a few signal commands via tapping their shoulders, Spitfire directed Daring and Night Glider to enter behind her and spread out alongside the walls. It was probably nothing, but they wouldn’t be doing their jobs if they didn’t investigate.

Inside the Princess’s room, the three fan out, Spitfire heading straight towards the Princess’s bed. There was no sign of any pony else as she approached, the Princess was tossing violently in her bed, mumbling a bunch of nonsense she couldn’t make out. It seems even the Princess of the Night could have nightmares.

Softly tapping her hooves against the floor, Spitfire orders the two to leave. Once they were gone she turn to leave herself, accidently catching some of Luna’s ramblings.

“Kira… I’m sorry… forgive me… I didn’t mean to kill Emmy.”

Uncomfortable, yet still wanting to help, Spitfire crept close to Luna’s side and whispered, “I forgive you.” Luna’s struggles stop, her body relaxing. Happy that even if only for the night Luna was untroubled Spitfire turns to take her leave, only for Luna to grab and pull her into the tightest embrace of the yellow Pegasus’s life. She struggles in the Princess’s grip, but it would not break no matter how hard she tried.

“Well… this is going to be an awkward morning.” Spitfire said residing to her fate as the Princess’s stuff animal.

Author's Note:

Kusanagi is named after Kusanagi the sword
Haibara is named after Haibara from Case Closed, because I love the name,
Miso Miso soup
Sakura, Momo, and Kaki, are inspired by the Powerpuff girls.

PreviousChapters Next