• Published 2nd Nov 2016
  • 2,216 Views, 217 Comments

Night Patrol 2: Awakening - Foxgear



A thousand years she was in the moon, now she's back and living in a strange new world. Her friends and comrades gone, nothing but dust in the dirt. With only her sister Luna look towards the future, but the past keeps calling her back.

  • ...
5
 217
 2,216

PreviousChapters Next
The Shadows Emerge

Night Patrol 2 Chapter 32
By Foxgear


Luna looked out over the field of troops as the transport train pulled into the station. The second wave of ground troops already lined up and waiting to board. Beside her and Celestia stood General Cobalt chatting over the gemcoms to the Caviler, the airship Spitfire was stationed on. The latest report? Fury and Cadence have entered the Empire. That was the last transmission, and they have not heard any word since.

“How long has it been now?” Celestia asked checking the position of the sun. There were so many things to keep track of such a large scale operation. Many moving parts were required to field a force of this size for every soldier they had out on the field, they needed three to keep the supply chain moving. To ease the burden civilian contractors were being used to help reduce the burden of the military staff. Neither her or Luna was thrilled to have civilians here, but there was little choice in the matter if they were going to keep operations running smoothly.

“Barely an hour sister, try not to worry so much. You’ll rattle the troops.” Luna advised while she chatted with Colonel Bridge and several other officers’ station along the cloud base. “Yes, yes, thank you, right. Prepare the first wave of pegasus to fly in… twenty minutes. Have a small recon team hook up with Commander Fury’s battalion. Make sure things are alright there haven’t been any emergency calls yet we will assume their fine and establishing a FOB. We’ll need to be there with supplies, and air support, keep building cloud bases along the way. Hmm… yes, I know the enemy could come in from behind, you’ll have to keep a keen eye out. Look Bridge I know you're cautious, but we can’t just sit back, we need to be in a position that is beneficial to us if fighting breaks out. Yes… I hear your concerns, but those are my orders. I expect another report as soon as you find them. Over and out.”

Luna replaced the gemcom back in her helmet and sighed. “Wow, he is meticulous if not a little too cautious.” Celestia blinked. “Bridge I mean.” Luna clarified. “He’s worried about advancing so quickly, but we can’t leave Fury’s battalion all alone out there. Still, it is a bit concerning we haven’t heard anything from them since they found the empire. Something is a hoof here.”

“It could be the barrier,” Celestia suggested. “You remember right, Luna? There was a barrier made by the crystal heart that kept the winter out. Sombra could have created one for himself.”

“Or he could be using the crystal heart himself to make one.” Luna countered looking displeased. “We hadn’t considered that had we? Sombra using the crystal heart.”

The sun Princess looked displeased by the idea. “The crystal heart is a purifying artifact, there is no… well, no proof Sombra could have corrupted it. It’s an artifact that was ancient when we were foals sucking on mother’s teat.”

“That only means we know nothing about it. Everything thing we knew about it up till now has been second hoof stories, and what little Symphony had figured out and those secrets died with her.” Luna grumbled, not liking the situation anymore, maybe they were advancing too quickly. They could be walking right into a trap. “We should call the Canterlot Scholars to see if they can’t dig something up about the crystal heart. They know of the forbidden section, right? Or rather Starswirl’s private library?”

“I will put in the call, though I don’t expect much to come of it. I’ve looked through those books myself for answers and didn’t find much, but that was a few decades ago. Perhaps a second look will bear some fruit.” As far as Celestia knew there was no record of the artifacts being corrupted, but that certainly didn’t mean much in the grand scheme of time. Still even if, and that was a big if, Sombra managed to somehow corrupt and control the Crystal Heart he probably didn’t know much more about it than they did or how to fully use its power. Which she and Luna certainly didn’t know. Regardless Celestia began writing a scroll to send.

Luna tapped her chin, deep in thought. “Hmm, don’t know, but I suppose if it were corrupted it would be a simple manner of stealing it back and purifying it. Our biggest concern is dealing with Sombra while it’s under his control.”

“We can’t forget about the red alicorn amulet either, he still has that.” Celestia reminded her while putting the finishing touches on her letter. The Sun Princess still hadn’t revealed that Daring was somewhere out in the wastelands with the purple and black amulets. She’ll have to address the amulets later, but right now there were too many ears around them.

“Princess Luna, Princess Celestia, we’re ready to move out!” Fleetfoot said over the gemcom. “We await your command.”

Together she and Luna nodded at Cobalt, while the train whistle blew as it took off with the next batch of ground troops. “This is General Cobalt Blaze you are clear to go, keep an eye on the second wave coming by train.”

“Roger that we’ll keep a sky eye view of them.”

Ponies began to spring into action as a second train with supplies arrived. Pegasus loaded up as much as they could carry to bring to the cloud bases overlooking the frozen wastelands. Boxes of gem bullets, explosives, bandages, and food would be transported from cloud base to cloud base to the front lines of the coming war.

As she watched the line of war supplies pass overhead Luna couldn’t help but shiver. An ill feeling overcoming her. Things were too quiet. She looked toward the towering cliffs again, a harsh wind blew in from the north and with it the cold storm that was on its way. Her legs aching from the shift in the atmosphere.

“We can only hope for the best,” Luna said though she wasn’t sure who she was talking to her or Celestia. Maybe it was mostly for herself, but hopefully, her words were of some assurance to the others. She rechecked the time the minute hand seemed frozen in place as the clocked hands turned slowly. Her feet pranced in place on their own accord, her body restless from waiting. “I’m going to take a quick walk around.” She told Celestia, leaving before her sister could even reply.

Trotting away from the command post-Luna snuck behind a tree looked for any pony nearby and tapped her gem com. “Sixes? Are you there?”

A bunch of noise came over the com, the sound of machines and banging tools and ponies shouting assaulting her ears, the noise persisted for several seconds as the sound of hooves against steel clanged over the commutator. There was a sound of a door closing, and all other noises were muffled.

“Sorry, I was looking over the repairs of the Nightmare. What's up? Your calling on a private line.”

Luna blushed brushing her bangs out of her eyes. “Um… yes, I wanted to… ah… check on the repairs. Yes, that what I’m doing. How are they coming along?” Sixes chuckled, causing Luna to slump against the tree. Who did she think she was fooling?

“Well,” Sixes said while laughing. “That’s a shame. I was hoping you just wanted to talk to me.”

“That too,” Luna admitted. This was a breach in conduct, but she needed this right now. “Fury and Cadence have entered the Empire. We’re sending in the pegasi units now and… I’m worried Sixes. I’m worried about them. Sombra… he’s dangerous. I’m worried Cadence might not be able to hold him off in the time it takes for Celestia and I to get there and even then, he could just do what he did before and…” Sixes laugh broke her rant. “What’s so funny? I'm serious Sixes!”

He muffled his laughter, but it was still in his voice when he spoke. Luna bit the inside of her cheek, miffed that her worries seemed so amusing to him. “Sorry, it’s funny to hear you so worried. You never worried like this before.” His tone shifted to serious. “So, don’t. We sent Fury with Cadence for a reason. She has plenty of others to help her, an entire battalion, eight hundred ponies to be exact and soon she’ll have even more and you and Celestia when the time is right. We’re pushing the engineers as hard as we can so hopefully the Nightmare will be there to help too. I’ll be on the next transport out to your position by tonight. The admiral can handle the rest of the repairs from here.”

Luna sighed in relief. “I’m glad to hear that. It’s not just Cadence I’m worried about, I’m worried about everypony, but mostly Twilight Sparkle and her friends, they joined the mission at the last minute via Celestia’s coaxing.” The line goes silent. “Sixes? Can you hear me?”

“Why did Celestia do that? I thought she’s seen enough of her students die.” Sixes said clucking his tongue. “Can’t believe she wants to go through that again.”

“What? What are you talking about?” Luna demanded hopping to her feet.

Sixes grumbled saying a few soft curses with his mouth away from the com. “Go ask Celesta. I never figured out why she sent them with us on missions, but their survival rate is lower than a greenhorn recruit. If she wants this one to live past twenty-five, you better withdraw her ASAP.”

The line goes dead, Luna stood stunned for several seconds before she fought down a scream and ran out of the brush for the command center and skidded to a stop in front of her sister. “We need to talk. No, actually forget talking, recall Twilight Sparkle and her friends, now.”

Celestia didn’t turn to look at her, nor did she even look upset at being yelled at in front of their officers and troops. She merely looked ahead to the north. “Twilight went on her own accord. I will not stand in her way.”

“Even if she never comes back? Like your other students?” Luna chastised.

Celestia nodded solemnly. “Yes. I gave them all the choice. No safety nets, that what your philosophy wasn’t it?”

Luna growled taking her spot next to her sister and stared up at the frozen cliffs. For several minutes she didn’t say anything. Not because she didn’t have anything to say, but because all her words would have been curses.

“When I first trained Night Patrol I wanted to make sure they’d be ready for anything, even then some didn’t make it. Do you believe you did the same for your students?” Luna grimly asked.
Celestia took a deep breath and exhaled looking solemn. “I like to think I did.”

“I see, then I hope Twilight lives up to your expectations.”

“So, do I,” Celestia admitted. “I hope they all do.”


Gloves watched as the tanks used snow plows to pile dirt into earth walls to help protect the base. Over the gemcoms, Colonel Bridge was directing his vision very clearly and concisely, and they were doing the best they could meet his demands. It did help that they had a few troops that had been in the mock battle with the colonel and they were able to assist in the construction directly.

The base design was simple. The main camp was made of a one hundred by one-hundred-yard square about half a mile from where they entered from the frozen wastelands. They were a fair distance out of the city limits, but artillery would still be effective from this position. Whenever the artillery cannons arrived. For now, the tanks would provide artillery support. They weren’t as effective, but they would work in a pinch.

Next, they added two more squares to both sides and then two more in the back for sleeping quarters, supplies and things of that nature. The front wall was taller with hills for the tanks to drive up and gain some more vantage point for firing. A half wall of dirt was placed in front of the tanks to absorb incoming fire. Overall it wasn’t a grand base, but it was effective. The earth ponies were using their magic to harden and pack the dirt tighter further increasing the defenses of the base.

Now they just needed to solve their communications problem. Gloves flew up into the air overlooking the base and following the line of wire that led towards the edge of the bubble that kept the snow and cold at bay. A team of troopers and radio ponies stood out in the middle of the plains only reaching halfway to the edge of the bubble. The cable reached back to the base where the central gem communicator was stationed.

Gloves flew back down and tapped a brown pony on the shoulder, “Private Knien, we may need to make a satellite base closer to the border see that it’d done when we’re done reinforcing the walls.”

“Yes, sir.”

Things were looking good, now they just needed to wait for their supplies to arrive along with the air force and they’ll have a proper staging area to take the city. Flying to the top of the northern wall Gloves surveyed the field before him, looking left and right to see if any pony else was around. Find none he pressed his gemcom.

“Commander Fury, this is Vice Commander Gloves, Commander Fury do you read me?” Static came over the channel, same as before. Even their short-range communications were blocked. They may have to leave the shield bubble to report back to home base. With an angry tick, Gloves tapped his gemcom off again. He was about to fly back down when something caught his eye. He froze and slowly turned towards the city again, sighting a black line of silhouettes. There were dozens, no, hundreds of them! “Get me a spyglass!” He barked, one pony frantically running up the central hill of the dirt wall to full fill the request. Gloves took the spyglass in his claw and looked out over yonder.

“What do you see sir?” The Private asked fearfully.

Gloves didn’t reply. Simply panning the growing line of ponies, seeing no weapons, no armor, or any indication that they were soldiers, yet still, they stood in a loose line formation on the low hill just outside the city. A rough guess was maybe five hundred ponies were looking down at their little base.

“Get sentries on the walls, keep an eye on them, but don’t engage them unless they pass those crystals, the ones about two hundred yards out. Make sure the tanks are set up and ready to fire if needed.” Gloves calmly ordered the private, who nodded nervously and slid back down the hill, the base suddenly very lively. Solemnly Gloves tapped his com again, still only static. “Shit, be safe Fury.”


“Captain Shiny Stone?” Fury was befuddled by the pony standing in front of him a gruff looking teal colored crystal unicorn with a mustache and grayed hair. Same as the Shiny Stone he’d met before. His coat was looking a bit dull right now, but other than that he was a perfect match. Which only made this meeting even more impossible. Shiny Stone was last seen charging into Sombra’s forces to by time for their escape. There was no way he could have survived.

The pony brushed off Fury’s grip and took a step back, his old eyes squinting hard at the red Rinin. “I’m sorry young lad, but do we know each other? Actually… who am I?”

Fury took a few cautious steps back, the surrounding crystal ponies looking scared and confused. Funny how they didn’t react to the fifty-ton war machine rolling through their city. “Your Shiny Stone, Captain of the Crystal Royal guard, Queen Symphony was your ruler, we met on the coronation of Princess Mi Amore Cadenza. We fought together when Sombra invaded the kingdom. Does any of that ring any bells?”

“No, I’m afraid not laddie. As you can see, there had been no invasion here… I think.”

“What about your son? Shiny Silver? Have you forgotten him?” Fury pressed. Finally getting a reaction from the crystal pony. Shiny Stone’s face scrunched in pain, sweat bleeding from his brow.

“I… ah… I don’t know, please leave me be laddie. I suddenly have a headache.” Fury grabbed the old stallion as he began to sway, digging his claws deep. “Lad, that hurts.”

Fury let him go. “Sorry, you're free to go.”

Shiny Stone nodded, “Yes thank you.” The old stallion staggered off, trotting haphazardly without direction. The other crystal ponies began to slink away, leaving them alone in the plaza.

“Hey wait, I want to talk to you!” Twilight shouted at the retreating ponies, running after them, but Fury grabbed her and pulled her back into the unit. “Hey what are you doing!”

“What do you think you're doing?” Fury countered. “I gave you specific instructions to stay close, do that again and you're going back to base. We can’t trust these ponies.”

“Why not? You saw them! They were confused and didn’t have any memories! You even touched one! So, they must be real right?”

Fury flexed his claw. Shiny Stone had indeed been made of flesh or at least solid, or this was very advanced illusion magic. “Maybe they’re real, maybe not, but that doesn’t mean they’re friendly either. Forgive my skepticism, but I don’t trust dead ponies. Let’s move out, bravo team will recon the northeast side of the city, team Charlie will recon the east, and my team will go west. Keep the comm links open, be wary of everything!”

“I’m going with these guys! Come on Fluttershy, let’s go check out that Colosseum!” Rainbow Dash declared landing beside Fury with the yellow pegasus in tow.

“Um, I’m going to look at all the crystal architecture and the crystal ponies! Whoa! There are so many crystals!” Rarity said excitedly walking over to AppleJazz’s unit with Pinkie bouncing after her.

“I’m going to check out the baked goods!” The pink pony declared.

Fury could only groan. Cadence gave him an understanding smile as Twilight walked over to Trifecta. “It looks like there’s a library over there.” Twilight pointed to the tower in the east with a tree carved into it, the symbol of knowledge and learning. She looked at him nervously. “Is it ok for me to go with… um… what’s your name?”

“Vice Commander Trifecta,” Trifecta bowed. Flashing the lavender unicorn, a heart-melting smile. “Don’t worry I’m not quite the hardass as the Boss over there is.”

Twilight looked desperately at Fury. It would be better to have the VIPS in one group so they could evac them all at once. On the other hoof, if they were ambushed at least, they all wouldn’t have the chance of dying instantly, if say, a cannon was fired at them. It was really a no-win situation for him.

“Fine, Goodnight go with them, and Sweet Dreams go with AppleJazz. Shining Armor and I will take care of the Princess’s protection.” Fury turned around looking the group over, there was one who hadn’t made any requests to leave. “Do you desire to travel in a different group Lady Applejack?”

“Applejack’s just fine, and I’ll stick with you if you don’t mind.”

“Very well. Let’s move out then, we’ll rendezvous back here in an hour. Unless something happens, such as an attack. If that’s the case, proceed with the plan we laid out on the trip here. For those that weren’t part of the meeting, the plan is to get back to base ASAP.” Fury nodded at the other two, who nodded back. “Bixin.”

A brown rinin poked his head out from the driver's hatch of the tank. “Yes, sir?”

“Stay here, keep an eye out. If there’s any trouble send up a flare. Lock the hatches too.” Fury ordered. The brown rinin nodded and closed the latch, the lock fastening with a loud ‘clang.’

The three groups separated each going their own way. As they march, Fury glanced back at the pedestal where the crystal heart had rested once upon a time a thousand years ago. He wasn’t surprised to find it missing. Really, he would have been more surprised if it had actually been there.

“So, you might think me stupid for asking, but why didn’t we go into the castle?” Applejack asked as they trotted towards the Colosseum. The massive structure towering over everything else in the west sector of the city.

“We’ll save that for last if things don’t go to shit.” Fury replied. He glanced warily around the streets as they weaved through the stalls and games. This place looked exactly like it had before the attack, minus about seventy percent of the ponies were present. There were a few vendors mindlessly minding their stalls and a few crystal ponies milling about in a dazed state that was frankly creepy as hell. This place might as well have been a ghost town compared to before.

The castle would be the best place to search first, but I have a bad feeling about it. He thought as they approach the gates to the Colosseum floor. He took a breath, remembering the cheering crowds, his fight with Blood Moon, the bat pony that had served Sombra and the hell that had broken out when their match finished.

“Keep your guards up, this is where it all started.” He warned slowly entering the narrow hallway. It seemed to take forever to walk through the darkened tunnel like they were walking through honey or maybe it was just him. As the light from the outside blinded him as it did before Fury stood in the dirt floor once again. The seats were empty, all was quiet, but they were not alone. Across the arena stood a pony hidden in the shadow of the other contender hall.

“Are you my opponent this day?” The pony asked with a booming voice. “If so which one? All non-participants must return to the stands.”

“Why don’t you come out? Let’s talk where we can see each other.” Fury shouted back.

The pony scoffed. “Any ruin my dramatic entrance? A champion needs to have a little flare when he enters no? Now please all non-participants please exit the arena.”

The gate behind them closed, blocking the tunnel. The Princess and Applejack looked worried as Shining raise a shield around them and the others spread outpointing their hoof blasters at the ‘champion.’

“Stand down,” Fury barked walking ahead of the group. “All of you go take a seat and just watch. We don’t need to make a scene.”

Shining balked. “You can’t be serious?” Shining’s eye darted around the arena wall, he spotted several runes scribed into the arena walls. “Once we go up there, they’ll probably throw up a shield over the arena, we won’t be able to help you.”

“Yeah, I want in on this action too!” Rainbow Dash brashly boasted.

Fury ignored the Pegasus’s outburst, continuing to talk to Shining. “I won’t need your help, you just focus on your objective, besides I got a hunch about who this guy is. For now, we’ll play his game.”

Shining bit his lip, but relented and made a flat shield for everypony to walk up to the stands. One by one they all sat down on the front row of the lowest row of stone benches and sure enough just as Shining predicted the protect shield rose over the arena cutting Fury off from the others. Not that he minded, better he be in here then somepony else.

“Royalty is to be seated on the balcony.” A booming voice said. The group looked up to the balcony above Fury’s opponent, the speaker covered in shadows with only the outline of green magic levitating a wine glass insight. “Please proceed to your proper seating Princess.”

Cadence looked worriedly at the opposite balcony above Fury. There’s no way this isn’t a trap. She grumbled, “Only if my husband can join me. He is a Prince after all.”

The shadowed pony waved, a booted hoof flashing in the light. “Very well, but the rift raft stays in the commoner seats.”

“Sorry, everypony.” With great reluctance Cadence and Shining move up to the royal suite, two large comfy chairs, one white, one blue, waited for them with a chilled bottle of wine. She ignored the wine and took a seat in the right chair, while Shining stood beside her, leaving the other vacant. “I think they were expecting Celestia and Luna.” She remarked getting comfortable. It was a perfect view from up here.

“This is seat is comfy.” Cadence whipped her head around to find Rainbow Dash sitting in the other chair. “What?”

“Nothing,” She replied sourly. “Just don’t touch anything.”

With the seating arrangement taken care off Fury focused on his opponent. “Alright, it’s just you and me now, champ. You ready for your big reveal?”

The champion chuckled darkly as he exited the tunnel. “Oh yes. I’m so excited for our rematch, Fierce Fury.”

Fury crouched digging his claws into the dirt as the champion stepped into the light. He wasn’t surprised, that blood colored coat, those dark red stained leathery wings, it was Blood Moon. At least he thought it was. The red thestral had blue crystals adorning his body, not too dissimilar to Topaz and Emerald.

“What happened to you?” Fury asked the bat pony.

Blood Moon growled his vampiric fangs dropping below his lower lip. “I got stronger.”

Fury snorted fire from his nostrils. “We’ll see about that.” Slowly he stomped to the center of the arena, Blood Moon matching his stride step for step until they stood muzzle to muzzle both waiting for the other to make the first move.

“RAGH!” Blood Moon spun swinging his crystal covered leg, the spike protruding from his knee gleaming like a blade. Fury ducked, charged with his shoulder and tackled Blood Moon the crystal blade bouncing off his scales. Claws dug deep into ground Fury bit the bat pony’s shoulder and ran, dragging Blood Moon across the loose dirt. The bat pony kicked and swore as Fury rammed full throttle into the side wall. A massive plume of dust kicked up, and Fury flew into the air, his chest glowing and balloon as fire poured out from between his teeth. The stream of fire sailed towards the dust cloud which suddenly dispersed Blood Moon releasing a sonic shriek to counter.

The stream of fire hit shriek, fire exploding everywhere as the crowd shield lit up as tiny fireballs peppered the dome.

Blood Moon growled, his heckles vibrating as he flew into the air at full speed. Fury readied his claws diving to meet the threstral. Blood posed his crystal blade forward, while Fury built up more flames. The two met, Blood swinging his bladed knee, Fury rolled under the strike, puckering his lips he shot a barrage of tiny fireballs at the thestral exposed belly. The thestral howling as his under hair burned. Fury comes up from below on Blood’s right flank and thrust his claws between the thestrals ribs. The bat pony let out a pained gasp as Fury sunk his claws deeper and twisted, bones snapped as Fury worked his claws past the ribcage, tearing through organs until the Rinin grasped the thestral heart.

Softly Fury whispered, “This is for betraying Luna.” With an air shaking roar Fury gripped the threstal’s heart and ripped it free nearly tearing the pony in two. Blood Moon tumbled through the air, hitting the ground with a hard ‘SPLAT.’

Fury looked down upon the withering thestral, barely clinging to life, choking on his own blood as he reached toward the Royal suite, only for his leg to fall to the ground. His body finally shutting down.

From the royal suite, the shadowed occupation clapped. “Quite the show, quite the show indeed. A marvelous rematch, even with Blood Moon’s crystals enhancements you still beat him. You Rinin are indeed the apex of pony kind, you are truly monstrous, Fierce Fury. Even your companions think so.”

Fury glanced at the others, they were quiet, jaw slacked and looking at him in shock and horror. Some of them had even emptied their stomachs. Applejack seemed to be barely holding herself together as Fluttershy sat hunched over. He expected as much. He just wished his own troops weren’t doing the same. In the royal suite, Rainbow Dash was looking green too, while Cadence and Shining Armor looked solemn but still sick.

“They’ll get used to it.” Fury replied. He couldn’t really see, but he was certain the shadowed pony was smirking. “Why doesn’t your grace come out, Sombra?”

The shadowed pony laughed, “I assumed you think that, but no, no, I am not him.” The pony stepped into the light, revealing a long gold curved horn, and mane, the pony’s coat was gray, almost black, and he stood probably as tall as Celestia with triple the muscle mass. “My name is Prince Scath, Second son of King Sombra, and I will be facing you now, Fierce Fury.” From a burst of black fire a claymore the size of which only giants would wield appeared. The massive ten-foot blade cleaved the roof of the royal suite clean off as the dark unicorn swung his weapon. Wings of crystals unflurried from under the black stallion's body, and he took to the air, sword swinging downward as he passed through the arena shield.

“Have at thee!”

Conjuring two spheres of fire Fury slammed them together to create a sword of fire. “Everypony, run!” He shouted as he met Scath’s blade. The massive sword pushed him down, and he was slammed into the ground. Fury growled and tried to stand up, but a gigantic black hoof crushed his blackleg. He let out a scream as Scath grabbed him with his magic and hauled him into the air.

“Tell me, Fierce Fury,” Scath said devilish forcing Fury to look at the stands as ponies clad in black swarmed the stands. His troops engaged, firing their hoof blasters, but they were hopelessly outnumbered. A pair of troopers led Applejack and Fluttershy toward Shining Armor’s position, which as also being overrun. “Which mare should I have first after I kill you?”

The royal suite where Cadence was suddenly exploded as the Princess and Shining Armor leaped down to aid the others with Rainbow inside a spherical shield. The princess gave him a quick look before having Shining throw Fluttershy and Applejack in with Rainbow Dash, and the royal couple made a break for it with the remaining troopers. Cadence blasted open a hole in the stands, and they slipped away from view.

“I think they’ll be too strong-willed for a limp dick like you.” Fury laughed.
Scath growled and brought his blade down. “After them fools!”


“This place is lovely! Look at all these amazing fabrics, crystal thread, crystal silk fabric, so many crystals! This place is paradise!” Rarity swooned running from vendor to vendor like a love-sick puppy. The stall vendors were very…unresponsive to her excitement. All of them hadn’t even blinked an eye as she dashed back and forth excitedly chattering about all the designs and dresses she could make. “Oh, that thread there would be amazing! Oh, I hope I have enough bits. Do you take Equestrian gold?”

The shop vendor Rarity was talking to slowly blinked looking at the gold coin the unicorn had set down. “Is that not enough? I have more.” Rarity worried as the vendor looked from the gold bit to her, and shrugged.

“I don’t know.”

Rarity cocked her head to the side. “I beg your pardon? These are your wares are they not?”

The vender pony shrugged. “I don’t know.”

“Is there a price tag perhaps?” Rarity asked leaning on the store counter, looking desperately at the shiny crystal thread on the shelf. “Please check if there’s a price tag, I must have that thread!”

The vendor looked behind her at the shelf and then turned her head forward again. “I don’t know.”

Rarity bit down hard, smiling widely as she held in some very choice words. “Could you look again? Maybe there’s a price book somewhere?” The vendor didn’t move. “Fine! But I will be back! Please have a price by then.”

The vendor slowly blinked as Rarity left the store. “Ok…”

Outside Rarity let out a frustrated sigh and trotted over to AppleJazz and Sweet Dreams who were looking down opposite directions of the street, keeping a careful watch on their troops and Pinkie Pie who was running around talking to the food vendors.

“This Crystal frosting is delicious!” The pink pony cheered bouncing past them.

“How does she get service but I don’t?” Rarity asked sulking beside the two military mares.

“She’s been walking into the stalls and making her own food using the ingredients she found,” AppleJazz answered, her eyes following Pinkie’s every bouncing step. “I would advise you not to eat anything pre-made here. Fury is right, something is wrong with these ponies, their all dead-eyed and act like zombies.”

Rarity looked around at the ponies milling about. They all did seem a bit… derpy, like they weren’t all there. “Maybe they’re just feeling a bit down. What if we did something to raise their spirits, perhaps their memories would return as well.”

“That sounds like a lot of work.” Sweet Dreams said plopping down on her haunches. “You seriously going to do that just to get some string?”

“Of course… um… no I mean it just pains me to see these ponies so lost and miserable, but yes I would like the string too. I mean how hard can it be? I’m the element of Generosity and Pinkie is the element of laughter between the two of us, I’m sure we can….”

“Rarity! Check this out!” Pinkie Pie shouted down the street. All three of them galloped down the street and turn down an alley where Pinkie excitedly bounced in place in front of a peach-colored Crystal pony mare with frosting on her muzzle. The crystal pony looked wide-eyed her coat shining, becoming more transparent, more crystal like. “See, see! She started glowing after I gave her a cupcake and she remarked how she farmed wheat, and suddenly she started glowing and then you showed up.”

The peach crystal pony held her head, swaying side to side and then snapped at attention. “Amberlocks! My name is Amberlocks. I’m a wheat farmer! I made the crystal flour in that cupcake! Oh, Symphony I remember!” Amberlocks looked around her eyes clear. “What am I doing here? Hmm, must have been on a delivery.” She finally looked at the four, her smile widening. “Oh, a thestral! Are you here for the Crystal Festival? Are you part of King Sombra’s entourage?”

Sweet Dreams was taken aback. “Um… no, I’m from Equestria. Why are you happy to speak of King Sombra? He…” AppleJazz covered Sweet Dreams mouth with her hoof, Amberlocks looking confused.

“I’m sorry what was that?”

“Nothing,” Jazz said quickly. “Nothing at all. Sorry for bothering you, ma’am. Let’s go you three.” Walking into the center of the street Jazz motioned for her troops to gather closer. As they complied Amberlocks trotted out of the alley and began talking to other ponies. They began to shine as well their eyes coming alive again as their coats changed to crystal.

“Why didn’t you tell her about Sombra?” Sweet Dreams demanded.

Double checking that no pony was paying them any mind, yet, Jazz explained. “She thought it was the day of Princess Cadenza’s coronation or at least before the war broke out. To her, Sombra is an ally. I don’t know what’s going on, but we started something, and it’s spreading, look.”

They all turned around and saw more and more crystal ponies returning to their natural state. They became lively and began to take notice of their surroundings. Happily, the crystal ponies trotted up to the group of armed soldiers asking how they were doing and if they were enjoying the festival and where they were from. Soon an entire crowd surrounded them.

“What should we do?” Sweet Dreams asked as the crystal ponies began to tighten around them. “We can’t fire on unarmed civilians.”

If that’s what they indeed are. Jazz grumbled darkly. She couldn’t tell if these ponies were genuine or not and that was dangerous. Carefully she reached into her saddle gab and retrieved a jar of green sav, uncorked the bottle and dipped her hoof in it. Slowly she fought through the crowd of her own troops and dabbed a little of the sav on a random pony and then another, hitting three totaled. Nothing happened.

“What’d you do?” Sweet Dreams whispered as Jazz rejoined them.

“This sav is a zebra mixture that can force a changeling to take its true form. I dabbed a little on some random ponies, and none of them changed.”

“That’s good right?” Rarity asked.

“The only thing it means is that those three ponies weren’t changelings, it doesn’t account for illusion spells or just plan acting. We need to… where the fuck is Pinkie Pie.” Jazz barked noticing the pink mare’s absence.

Suddenly a bell rang, and a familiar voice cried out. “Free cupcakes! Come get some cupcakes that’ll put your frown upside down and make you shine again! Both literally and figuratively. Just ask my new friend Amberlocks!”

“Ok new plan, we start to make our way back to base. I don’t like the situation. I’ll tell Commander Fury what’s going on.” Jazz tapped her gem com, getting static. “What the hell? This thing never fritzed out like this before. Come on, work!”

“You're wearing strange armor Miss, where are you from?” Somepony asked. Jazz didn’t bother to turn and look at who was talking to her.

“Equestria, look I’m busy right now.”

“Equestria? How interesting. Are Princess Celestia and Luna on their way?” The pony asked again.

Jazz was about to answer again but stopped herself. Cautiously she turned to the pony talking to her, it was a stallion, a black unicorn with a green mane and wearing some sort of military uniform with a black cloak with several medals and markings she’s only seen in history books. He bore the symbol of Maredor, Sombra’s kingdom.

“Who wants to know?” She asked hotly getting in front of Rarity and Sweet Dreams.

“Oh, I am merely a humble servant to my lord, King Sombra, I am Commander Brim Bight. My master is curious if the royal sisters are on their way.”

Brim Bight. That sounds familiar. Jazz mused. “Can’t say, you know how it is.”

“Yes, yes, I understand. I would be on edge if you were to ask me the same. Really you shouldn’t be so jumpy, we are both allies here to enjoy a festival in the Crystal Empire no? Better we don’t make a scene, right? Miss…”

“Vice Commander AppleJazz.”

Brim chuckled. “Really, a female a Vice Commander? Now I’ve truly seen everything. Good day, Vice Commander, I hope we’ll see each other again.”

Rarity growled, “Why that… who does he think he is! He’s acting like it’s…”

“A thousand years ago,” AppleJazz finished for her, paying no heed to Brims comments. “We need to get out of here. Everypony lineup! And grab Ms. Pie! We’re going back to base!”

Jazz marched at the front, Sweet Dreams and Rarity behind her, flanked by two stallions on both sides. Pinkie was placed in the center so they could hopefully stop her from running away again. “Miss Jazz, what has you so worked up?” Rarity asked trotting closer. “That’s stallion’s fossil ideals aside things don’t…”

She cut off the Element of Generosity. “I don’t give a crap about his words; his name is what’s bothering me. That was Brim Bight, one of Sombra’s legion Commanders and a dead pony by all records. He took a pickaxe through the face for Celestia’s sake!”

Rarity looked green as she fell back into line with the others. Her eyes wondering worriedly at everypony they passed. “Does that mean, everypony here is…”

“I don’t know.” Jazz sharply replied. “I don’t know, but I don’t know what to find out when there’s barely a dozen of us.”

“What about Commander Fury and Trifecta?” Sweet Dreams brought up. “We have to warn them.”

Jazz growled. “The coms aren’t working. Besides, I’m sure they’ll figure it out themselves soon enough. Right now, we’re closer to the base than the others. It makes more sense for us to get there and report our findings. Then we can mount a larger rescue force for the others. Hopefully, the pegasi are here by now.”

As they marched, Jazz kept her eyes moving, several times she spied ponies in the shadows watching them. They didn’t seem to notice that she spotted them. The fools probably thought their black armor kept them well hidden, a common misconception. They were no doubt Sombra’s agents, but what were they waiting for? Why not attack right now? They surely didn’t care about civilian casualties. Unless they had something else planned.

“Keep your guard up, expect a fight at any second.” Jazz cautioned her troops as they steadily marched towards the base. All the while Sombra’s shadows heckled them with a constant threat of attack. The meadows outside of town came into view their long grasses offering salvation from the crystal city or at least that’s what it seemed at first. A line of black-clad ponies ran out into the road, blocking it, on the rooftops hooves clattered as more black-clad stallions took up position above them.

They were surrounded.

“Sweets!” AppleJazz grabbed Rarity, while Sweet Dreams grabbed Pinkie Pie, both of them taking flight with a mare in tow. “We’ll be back! Try to hold out!” Jazz shouted to the unit. “Defend yourselves and survive!”

Rarity squirmed in AppleJazz’s grip as the noise of hoof blasters firing filled the air. “You can’t even suggest we’re leaving them behind!”

“I’m not suggesting, I already did.” Jazz retorted hotly. “Lucky you, you two are more important then all those guys combined. Must be nice to be such important ponies, others get to die for you.” As they fly over the meadows, the four mares get a look at the massing army of ponies in the meadow. A single tear fell from Jazz’s face. “I hate it when I have to lie.”

Rarity looked solemn while Pinkie was confused. “What do you mean lie?” The pink pony asked. Jazz keeping quiet as they dive towards the base.

“She means we probably won’t be able to help the ones we left behind, at least not before it’s too late.” Sweets explained as they touched down in the base.

“Thank Luna your guys are back!” Gloves marveled galloping over to them. “What’s going on? We’ve haven’t been able to establish contact with any pony! We really should have double checked the gemcoms before scouting, do you know where the others are? Are they on their way back?”

Jazz shouted. “Gloves! Settle down!” Gloves took a step back and righted himself. “Good, I know the other general locations, but I don’t know if they’re on their way back. I had to… separate from my team to get the VIPs to safety. I want to go back for them, but… well, care to explain your friends on the hill over yonder?”

Gloves looked grim as he and Jazz walk to the top of the dirt wall the enemy spread out before them. “Yeah, they started amassing not long after your guys went in. They haven’t done anything, yet, they must be waiting for something. I doubt they know this, but even with those numbers, we could repeal them a few times even the supplies we have now. At least until they number more than a thousand.”

“They might have eight hundred from what I saw when I flew over them. It’s strange there weren’t any flyers among them.” Jazz noted. “They're not flying Sombra’s colors either.”

“I noticed that too. The first dozen that showed up looked like regular crystal ponies at first, but they gradually turned into the black wall of ponies we now face. Before you ask the pegasi units, haven’t shown up yet or our second wave of ground units. I sent a team outside the bubble to try and make contact with the Princesses, but they haven’t reported back yet.” Gloves took a breath. “What’s the situation in the city?”

“It’s weird, we talked to some crystal ponies, Fury said something about this one… yes, Shiny Stone, he said he was dead, and then we split up, and we talked to some other ponies that thought it was the day of Princess Cadenza’s coronation and thought Sombra was still their ally.”

Gloves rubbed his chin thinking over the situation. It sucked that Fury and Trifecta, their most experienced commanders on sight weren’t here. Both he and Jazz had been in minor leadership roles before, leading platoons and special missions, but they were always following orders of Sixes, Fury, or Topaz. They didn’t make the battle plans, they only acted them out.

“This is a lot harder then they make it look.” He admitted sighing. “We should probably sit and wait, if any pony can make it back it’s those two.”

“Is that with or without burning down half the city?” Jazz joked, both of them chuckling until they realized Fury and Trifecta would do that. “I should go back for my team.”

“You know it’s already too late.”

“You don’t know that!”

“I don’t, but we can’t risk it. You did the right thing getting the VIPs out.”

“I know, but…”

“You’ll only get more ponied killed trying to save them.” Gloves said with finality. “I was given charge of base operations. Until Fury, another commander or one of the Princess’s comes it’s my call, and I’m ordering you to stay Jazz.” He turned away shouting at the lookouts. “Keep your eyes open for allied signal flares! Everypony be prepared for combat!”

A resounding “Yes, sir!” Shook the base. Jazz looked on at the crystal city wondering what was happening to the others.


“This place is amazing!” Gushed Twilight, she bounced from bookshelf to bookshelf. Trifecta sat back with Goodnight, watching the unicorn collect book after book as Spike waddled after her with even more books. The rest of the unit stood guard outside, save for two, who was inside with them keeping an eye on the doors. Eight troopers outside should make enough noise to alert them to any problems.

As Twilight finally settled down and actually finally began reading her books. Goodnight prodded him on the shoulder. “So, Commander Trifecta, what did Commander Fury mean when he said he didn’t trust dead ponies?”

Trifecta raised an eyebrow at the thestral. “That seems self-explanatory to me kid.”

Goody chuckled nervously. “I know, I know, but that pony, Shiny Stone, he looked alive and well. He certainly didn’t look like a zombie at least.”

“Did he?” Trifecta chuckled. “I guess he looked alive to me too, but I’m in the same camp as Fury. I didn’t know the stallion, didn’t even talk to him, but I was on the ship when I saw him, and a bunch of other old studs charges straight into the enemy lines. I very much doubt he survived. Especially after Sombra turned into this black hole thing and swallowed the Crystal Empire whole.”

“That sounds like it was epic,” Goody said giddily. “They probably wrote a lot of songs about that battle.”

“Maybe they did, not that it mattered, everypony forgot about that battle and us,” Trifecta said bitterly. “My brothers lived to be more than four hundred years old, they should have had statues, poems and songs about them for their heroics. Not just them, but everypony that served with us, rinin or not. Bastards didn’t even remember Princess Luna. We didn’t even get a stupid stain glass window.” He ground his fangs, his temper rising. “But.” Trifecta continued taking a relaxing breath. “My brother Thrice did leave behind a good-sized family. He did enough mating to make up for my lack of input. My brother Trinity left some kids over in Nippon too. I’m thinking of visiting them after this is over.”

A strangled gasp interrupts their conversation, both stallions look in the direction of Twilight who was on the verge of a panic attack. “Who defiled this book!” She shrilled, several more books lay opened with haphazard red ink covering the printed text. “What language is this even? It’s so hard to read.”

Trifecta got up and trotted over to the desk where Twilight was working. She was muttering to herself focusing hard on the words scribbled into the books in dark red ink. Trifecta hoped it was ink, but he had his doubts. Picking up one of the books he poured over it.

Twilight looked doubtfully at the rinin, “That’s ancient Equestrian, it took me weeks to decipher the text warning about Nightmare Moon and…”

Trifecta began reading aloud. “In the tenth summer of darkness, by Amethyst Maresbury, Librarian of the Crystal Empire. End my suffering please, for I can take no more, will a savior not come and free us from the shadows reign? I have borne five of his monsters by force and shall bear no more.” He turns the page. “In the tenth fall of darkness, Amethyst Maresbury, I will find my own salvation and achieve it with my own hooves. I leave this for my son, my true son, please forgive your mother. My resting place will be with my true love. You’ll find me in the back, I’m sorry.”

Twilight, Spike and Goodnight looked green. “Was that a…”

“Yes,” Trifecta curtly answered picking up another book. “This one too. My name is Bright Smile, and I just found my mother hanging in the back of the library, she took her life. Unable to bare our living conditions any longer, not that I blame her. Father was killed in the war ten years ago, and we’ve been in this realm of darkness under Sombra’s rule acting as tools for his return. I… I’m sorry mother, but I can’t do this alone. I will be joining you.”

“Oh, Celestia that’s…”

Trifecta picked up another book. The script in this book one frantic and messy. “The fifteenth Winter of darkness, Jade, I can’t take anymore! That brute! That monster! He called me to his chamber again! I won’t do it again! I won’t bear his spawn again! I’d rather die! I’ll throw myself from this building before that!” He turned the page. This one stained from water, the writing slobby and smudged, barely legible. “My name is Night Knight, my beloved Jade, they found her during the curfew, splattered on the street, she threw herself from the library’s roof. It has been come popular to write one’s final thoughts and… end their suffering at the library. Sombra leaves it untouched, he seems to enjoy watching our will break. I will miss my Jade, but I will not give him the satisfaction of killing myself. I will avenge her! I will avenge my beloved!” Trifecta closed the book.

He heard sniffling. Trifecta looked over to see Twilight wiping her tears with her leg, the young lavender mare looking weak and valuable her dragon patting her on the back while Goodnight looked at a lost about what to do. Not really the best time to breaking down. He opened a few more books, finding more and more of the same. Just about every page had some poor souls’ final words and frustrations scribbled onto it. Walking to the bookshelf Trifecta pulled a random book out and opened it up, find even more last wills. He wouldn’t be surprised if every book was like this.

“How many did we leave behind?” He wondered aloud snapping the book closed. He moved to replace it and found an eye peering back at him from between the book space. A gleeful red eye surrounded by green. “Fuck.”

Trifecta jumped back, chest ballooning with fire, he spewed a stream of silver flames at the bookshelf, the old paper lighting up like a match. Behind him, Twilight gasped and demanded what he was doing while Goodnight stood protectively in front of her. He moved between them and shadow that emerged from the fire. An amused chuckle echoing through the library.

The shadow gained form, it was a unicorn, a big unicorn, standing at least five inches taller then Trifecta, with a long-curved blue horn sticking from his head and a mane that changed from blue to black. “Very amusing, Dragon pony, very amusing indeed, but completely expected. My father has been preparing me for your kind since my birth.”

Trifecta clicked his tongue looking from the stallion to Twilight and Goody. He’s never seen Sombra up close himself, but if he were a guessing pony, he’d have to say this guy, and Sombra share some DNA. “So, what are you? Sombra’s son?”

“Yes, simply put, I am Schatten the fourth son of Sombra, and you shall be my first kill.” A spear with three prongs and one long scythe-like blade bursts forth from the flaming shadows surrounding Schatten, who took the weapon up in his magic and aimed it squarely at Trifecta. “Once I dispose of the stallions, I shall have to give the mare my attention. I sense a great source of magic from her.”

Trifecta snapped his jaws, fire spewing from between his teeth, “Don’t think you’ve won before we’ve even begun kid! I’ll gut ya and hang you up by your entrails for your daddy to see!”

Schatten chuckled, “What clever last words, my trophy.” He charged, and Trifecta jumped back, breathing fire at the dark unicorn. Schatten wasn’t fazed and charged through the flames and stuck Trifecta in the shoulder with his lance ramming the rinin through several bookcases before slamming him against the wall. Hard.

Coughing blood Trifecta grabbed the spear, holding it in as he looked at Twilight and Goodnight. “Run you, idiots.”

Goodnight hesitated for only a second before grabbing Spike and Twilight and rushing through the window. The wall of the library exploded behind them as Trifecta and Schatten continued to fight. Goodnight looked frantically around for the others and heard the sound of hoof blasters in the distance. With Spike on his back and Twilight tucked beneath his wing he ran towards the blaster fire, finding his fellow equestrians engaged with a mob of black-clad ponies.

“Hold them back!” Matchbox, the squad leader of the fire team, shouted. Goodnight looked dismayed as the gem bullets bounced off the black-clad ponies. He debated on helping but knew his mission was to keep Twilight safe.

“I’m sorry,” He said leading Twilight away.

“What happened to the city?” Twilight said in a state of shock. He didn’t know what she was talking about as they slipped into an alleyway to hide. A group of black-clad ponies rushing past as Goodnight used his body to cover Twilight and Spike, keeping them hidden in the shadows.

Taking a moment to catch their breath Goodnight finally noticed the enormous change that had taken place since they entered the library. The Crystal Empire, which had been a brilliant design of blue, purples, pink, and greenery. Was now a bare shell of blacks, red, and gray. In less than an hour, the entire city had changed entirely.

“We need to get out of here.”

“Not without my friends!” Twilight objected with fire in her eyes. “Cadence and Shining Armor, and everypony else too!”

Goodnight covered her mouth with his hoof, looking fearfully around for any pony that might have overheard her. “Shush! Look, I get it. I want to help the others too, but it’s just you, me, and a baby dragon. We have to play this smart!”

Twilight knocked his hoof away, glaring at him, “Don’t lecture me about friendship, you left your friends behind!”

He bared his fangs getting right up in the unicorns face. “You think I wanted to do that! You think I just wanted to leave Trifecta and the others! I had to do it, I was told to run, and I did. And you know why Twilight? No, don’t worry, I’ll tell you the answer. It’s because of you. I had to leave Trifecta, Matchbox, and everypony else, because of you. Because you’re an element of harmony and Celestia’s student, your more important and thus pony’s like my friends and I get to die for you. Now listen to me, we are going to back to base, if we find anypony else we’ll try to join up with them if we can, but for now. We need to keep a low profile otherwise Schatten, and those black-clad goons will find us. I know they’re going to kill me outright if they do. You? Well… I’m more afraid of what they might do to you.”

Twilight’s ears flopped flat against her head. The unicorn looking heartbroken, she took a staggered breath and looked him in the eye. “Ok.” She said softly, the fire reignited in her eyes. “What do we do?”

Goodnight tapped a piece on her armor, changing it from non-combatant gray, to midnight blue, the same color as his. “Follow me and stick to the shadows, how far can you teleport?” He asked leading the way across the street.

“By myself about a mile, with all of three of us, half a mile. I can teleport about three times before needing to cool down. Teleporting creates a big flash and surge of magic they’ll be able to track me easily.”

He led them down another alley, letting a parade of Sombra's soldier march past. “That fine.” He said once the column was gone. “I’ll get you close enough, you just worry about getting yourself and Spike out of here. I’ll be staying behind.”

“But Goody…”

“I’m not leaving them behind.” He said firmly. “Once you’re safe, I’m going back for everypony else. You tell command what happened, that’s your mission.”

“But I’m supposed to…”

“Find the crystal heart? Fat chance of that happening with things the way they are now. Look, Fury told me this once in training, don’t focus on what you think you should be doing and do what you need to do to complete the mission. Understand?”

Twilight nodded.

“Good, let’s go.”

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long wait everyone. The chapter kind of doubled in size as I was going and I wanted to take some extra time to do some quality control, also holidays.

PreviousChapters Next