• Published 2nd Nov 2016
  • 2,215 Views, 217 Comments

Night Patrol 2: Awakening - Foxgear



A thousand years she was in the moon, now she's back and living in a strange new world. Her friends and comrades gone, nothing but dust in the dirt. With only her sister Luna look towards the future, but the past keeps calling her back.

  • ...
5
 217
 2,215

PreviousChapters Next
Tango-Mike-Sierria-Alpha

Night Patrol 2 Chapter 37
By Foxgear


The sound of hammers and power tools has been a constant noise in his ears for hours now. Sixes slammed the heavy steel door to the engine room with a disgruntled growl. His ire reaching new heights as he had to deal with yet another delay to getting the Nightmare operational again. Engine number four’s crankshaft bearing was shot wrecking the crankshaft. It was a part not available readily in this era, and the spare they saved was back in the secret hanger in the Everfree forest.

The crankshaft was massive. Sixes had already dispatched six helicopters to assist with bringing it to Canterlot, but that would still take hours and Engine number three was still half part. The only good news was engine one was done, and number two was only three hours away from being finished. Supposedly.

(I’m not fucking holding my breath.)

With nothing for him to do. Sixes made his way to his room. There was nothing to be done. The Nightmare wasn’t going anywhere anytime soon. He should get ready to leave anyway. Luna was expecting him on the next train out to the rear base.

(I wonder if she’ll be happy to see me?) He mused with a smile. Ever since the concert they had officially become an item at least privately. If he thought about it, they had been in this position before a thousand years ago. They probably would have been further along had Crusader not unexpectedly come into the picture. The presence of his newly created ‘son’ made with his and Celestia’s DNA had complicated things. (That was the only way to describe it. Complicated.) He snorted remembering those many awkward years tiptoeing around Crusader and Celestia. Especially Celestia.

(Jokingly I had once said I found her attractive. That was before Luna, before Crusader. I think before the Battle for the Crystal Empire.) As Sixes shut this door, he began checking his equipment. He wanted to be ready to move at the drop of a hat. While going through his com systems and making sure his straps were in place, he glanced toward his desk. A picture lay face down on top of it.

He walked over to the desk and flipped it back up. The picture was of him, Crusader, and Platinum. One of the few they had ever taken together. He had just returned from Prance, he didn’t remember how they had gotten him to take the photo, but they did. He remembered it was before the Tealblood Incident, but not before Platinum had gotten her new legs. He stood beside his son, scowling, looking displeased, and grumpy. Both Platinum and Crusader were smiling. Making him look even more irritated.

“Mon Pere,” He whispered, remembering what Platinum had called him after the picture. She babbled in Prench the entire time hugging him and being more affectionate then he deserved. He didn’t speak a lick of Prench and still doesn’t. There had been no translator either. Maybe Crusader knew what she had been saying because he remembered his son smiling and laughing at her words. He had said something in Prench to her and Platinum had looked ecstatic. After that, she earnestly began calling him Mon Pere almost all the time.

Sixes shook his head. “Mon Pere, my father, that foolish girl. Even now to this day, you call me that.” He set the picture face down again. Somehow without laying with the mare he loved, he had two ‘kids’ already and had been a piss poor father to both. “Both of them tried too hard.”

With still more time to kill Sixes opened the bottom drawer of his desk and retrieved the album from it. Opening the book, he smiled with nostalgia flipping through the photos taken of his friends. Gadget’s camera invention had been trendy, and basically, put painters out of business.

(Shame he couldn’t have made it before Luna’s banishment. It would have been nice to have pictures of Luna.)

“Was its Gadget or one of his students that made the camera? He had the one… what was her name? He picked her up after the battle of Maredor. Stardust something or other, whatever doesn’t matter now.” Flipping through the photos, he came to the ones of Kira’s wedding. His favorite was the one of him threatening her husband if he made her sad. He didn’t know who took the picture, but it funny, one of those moments that only happened once. It was nice to be able to see over and over again.

“Let’s see this one is Fury and Nightingale sneaking off. Trinity talking to his future wife.” As he mused, he came to a page that really brought a smile to his face. It was of Kira, in full Queen regalia with her husband Shinto and their first born. Rokuji was his name. In Nippon, that was the word for six or so, Kira told him. That wasn’t his full name. His full name long and ridiculous. “Rokujimaru no Shiroyama-sama? Was that the kid’s name?”

Usually, he’d feel bad about not remember his friend’s child’s name, but before he had been sealed in stone Kira had about ten kids. Even with his regular visits, he couldn’t keep them straight. “Of course, there are her other ‘kids’” He reminisced fondly turning to the next page. This one was also of Kira, but she was in uniform again. The last time she had ever worn the Night Patrol uniform before officially retiring to become Queen of Nippon.

The picture was of her surrounded by a crowd of young rinin, all odd and unique from the standard rinin. Kira’s little monsters were what they were called. The name was much more affectionate then it sounded. He remembered when the brats weren’t any taller than his barrel, and then suddenly, they grew up! Or maybe he got old.

“Had a better relationship with those kids then I did with my own blood. Maybe It’s because I actually spent time with them. They were Kira’s last trainees, her replacements, and they had been children of the horde, so everypony was affectionate to them.” Sixes brushed his claws over the red Rinin at the front of the group, Ruby Blaze, the leader of the new monster squad. “She’s really grown up since our days in the caves. I think she and Jazz are about the same age.”

Somepony knocked at the door. Sixes quickly closed the album and set it back in the drawer. “Come in.” The door opened, and Admiral Hunter McGather’s entered. The old stud took a cursory look at his abode, puffing out a few plumes of smoke from his pipe as he did so.

“Commander Sixes.” The elder stallions saluted.

“Admiral,” he replied saluting.

“At ease, my friend, I have news from the front. A message has just arrived stating the third wave is moving forward.”

Sixes hid his surprise, thinking of what could possibly be going on that the Princesses would take off before he rendezvoused with them. “Things are progressing quicker than expected. Anything else?”

“Yes, a message from Commander Topaz Slicer was forward from the rear base for you. Quote, ‘let the kids come and play’ end quote. You and I both know what this means.”

“Yeah,” He sighed glancing at his desk. “Alright, I’ll round up the brats then.”

“Already, done,” McGather stated. “They’re waiting on the flight deck. They’re very excited about their first mission in this era. I still feel we should have let them help with the retaking of Canterlot, they could have used the experience.”

Sixes placed a claw on McGather’s shoulder, “I understand where you're coming from, but I wanted them in the rear in case more powerful enemies appeared. Changelings aren’t well known for having multiple heavy hitters, their Queens get too scared of being overthrown to risk having more than one heir. Which stunts their potential of high-level fighters, so I wasn’t too worried we’d need them, but it’s good to keep an ace, right?”

The admiral took a few puffs of his pipe before nodding. “I see your reasoning, but as powerful as they are, they lack experience. You hired me on for my input, I made this lofty journey with you, but I suppose it’s up to you if you want to listen to my advice, lad.”

“Your dedication is beyond doubt Hunter; don’t worry, they’ll be getting plenty of experience this time.” Sixes patted the admiral about to take his leave, but the old stud wasn’t done yet.

“Take these before you go, a present for you boys when you win.” McGather retrieved three fat cigars from his breast pocket and offered them to Sixes. “I wish I could smoke without consequence like you boys can. That’s pure tobacco, no chemical or any of that crap.”

Sixes pocketed the cigars, “I’ll be sure Topaz, Fury, and I light them over Sombra’s corpse. Might even get a picture of it for you.”

“Good on you, sorry this old horse will probably miss this one. These repairs, ugh, they are vexing. The war may be over before we can get the Nightmare moving again.”

“There’s always next time.” Sixes replied with a sigh. He couldn’t fault the engineers for what they did. Taking all the engines apart at once seemed like an excellent idea instead of doing each individually. Engine four would have been unusable either way, but engine one was done, and if engine two was completed on time, they could at least fly while fixing engine three. “Maybe in hindsight this will be a good thing. Three is enough to fly and run most of the weapon systems, but running at seventy-five percent power might have done more harm than good in this war. Imagine if something would have failed out in that snowy hellhole?”

The admiral mused puffing out rings of smoke. “Indeed, repairs in favorable weather are hard enough. Perhaps we need to rethink how our engines are set up. A retrofit maybe in order when we have the time. That’s my department anyway, you should get going, lad.”

“Right, I’ll see you later, Admiral.”

“Good luck with your mission, Commander.”

In the hall, Sixes placed his helmet on and made his way down the Officers’ quarters and then up again to the flight deck. Waiting for him was the new monster squad, Kira’s last gift to them before leaving to live her life. Those three of those gifts stood at attention, waiting for him.

“Squad M-Alpha,” He greeted, the three ponies beamed with pride as he addressed them. “8122, Ensign Ruby Blaze, 9756 Ensign Hazel Thunder, and 9357 Ensign High Octane, your mission begins now!”

Like their predecessors, the three Rinin before him had unique qualities that separated them from the rest of the brethren. In their case, those particular traits didn’t manifest until they reached the age of adolescent. Kira took an interest in them all and several others.

Night Patroller 8122, Ruby Blaze had been with them since the beginning, back in the early days of living in the caves of Mountain Firehorn. She had been one of the older foals of their group, most likely about AppleJazz’s age. She was similar to Topaz Slicer, except red. Her coat was red, as while as her mane and the crystals protruding from her joints. Other then that she had no distinct different abilities on the surface.

Next Night Patroller 9756 and 9357, Hazel Thunder and High Octane. Both of them had been with the group freed from Rainbow Factory. Hazel was a mare and a tall one at that, taller than even him and he was as tall as Princess Luna. Her coat was a crème color and her hair a strange crystalized yellow tied into a long braid that hung off her shoulder. Kira had taken a particular shine to Hazel. Most likely because she resembled Emerald Cutter in all but color. She like the previous monster squad members had six legs. That being said, Hazel’s ability didn’t lie in close quarters like Emerald’s had.

Finally, High Octane. He was hard to describe. He was one of these experiments that they weren’t sure what the mad doctors had intended him to be. The lone stallion of the group hardly looked like a pony. He was big with crusted rock skin, volcanic-like vents protrude from his back and claws. His muzzle was that a of beast none of them had never seen before, large with square jaws that resembled some sort of dragon most likely. The tone of his skin was like glowing magmatic rock with splashes of blue. High Octane was indeed a what the hell is this kind of creature, dubbed a Special Rinin. Overheat had been the first to be classified as such. There were several others in the category.

“Alright, the code is let the kids come out and play. That means we have enemy combatants on par with the Commanders. Commander Topaz Slicer what the one to make the call, so that should give you a general idea of the enemy’s strength.” Sixes informed the team. “Any questions?”

High Octane raised his foreleg, Sixes nodded, giving him permission to speak. “Has Commander Topaz sent verification that the enemy is stronger or merely on par with him?”

“Unclear, assume stronger, never underestimate the enemy.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Ugh, can we just get on with this? I’m eager to bring honor Lady Kira this day of battle.” Hazel Thunder impatiently gloated itching with excitement. Ruby Blaze smiled awkwardly and bowed her head to Sixes.

“Sorry, Commander.” She stressed shooting Hazel a sharp look. “Lady Kira taught you decorum to, remember?” Ruby sniped making Hazel go rigged.

“Yes, forgive my excitement, sir.”

“You’re forgiven, now let’s move out!” Sixes declared leading the way to the helicopter. “Azzie, take us up! We’re moving out!”

“Roger that,” Azure Beryl said over the coms taking the helicopter up. As the ground became a blur of colors and they settled down in their seats in the passenger bay for the long flight. Ruby posed a question.

“Commander what about Squad M-Bravo?”

Sixes laid his head against the wall of the passenger bay, paying little mind to the three sets of curious eyes on him. Still, it wouldn’t hurt for them to know. “A few of your little siblings are already playing.”

“I thought it was weird. I didn’t see the full Bravo team.” Hazel remarked. “Hey, why’d they get to go first?”

“That is rather curious commander.” Ruby piled on. “Why weren’t we sent first or together?”

Sixes rested his head against his chest, preparing to get some rest, who knows when he’d get to sleep again once they reach the frontline. “I have my reasons.” He mumbled chomping his gums. “Now rest up.”

“Yes, sir.” The trio begrudgingly moaned, complying with the order.

(And they wonder why their codename is kids.) Sixes mused before drifting off to sleep. (I wonder how things are going on the front?)


“That’s the situation.” Explained Far Reach relied Sweet Dream’s plans to Shining Armor and the others. Just as he finished, a powerful rumble shook the room. Signaling the bases destruction and their cue to leave.

“Wait,” Shining said before he could open the door. “We should wait. Just a few minutes. No doubt a lot of the guards and patrols will send envoys to see what’s going on. It would be foolish to think all of them would rush there without thinking.”

The group looked beside themselves, looking between Shining Armor and Far Reach, no pony sure who to follow. Who was even the leader of this group? Shining Armor? He was technically the highest ranked one here, not counting the three elements of harmony bearers. Or was Far Reach in charge because he had orders from the Princess and Lieutenant Sweet Dreams? Neither of the stallions seemed to know either as they just stared at each other inadvertently following Shining Armor’s suggestion.

“How long are we going to wait?” Rainbow dash impatiently demanded.

“Ah agree, if we’re going, we should go, better or for worse.” Applejack seconded.

“Whatever you think is best.” Mumbled Fluttershy.

Shining Armor stepped towards the door but hesitated to go any further. He looked to Far Reach, who smiled and nodded. Giving his support. Shining nodded and smiled.

“Everypony, follow me. Let’s get out of here.” He opened the door, and they stepped out to other room. Shining quickly formed four groups. Each on centered around three Element Bearers and himself. “We’ll split up to increase our chances of escape. Ladies Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Fluttershy. Your escape takes priority. Celestia’s speed to you all.”

“What will you be doing?” Applejack inquired.

“My team… we’ll run interference. We’ll make a commotion and get the enemy to focus on us, declaring ourselves the attackers and head in the opposite direction of your groups.”

“Ah, come on! Why do you guys get all the action!” Rainbow complained.

“Rainbow!” Fluttershy said in a surprisingly harsh tone as she stared down the other pegasus. “Please see the bigger picture!”

Shining could only smile bewilderedly as the pony he least expected caught on to his intentions and what fate would most likely meet him.

“Why does he get to have all the fun!” Rainbow babbled on. Fluttershy began tearing up and hid her face in her mane to suppress her cries while Applejack tried to smooth the poor mare by rubbing her back.

“Ya really don’t get it. Aren’t you training to join the Wonderbolts? AKA the military?” Applejack pressured Rainbow only receive a perplexed look of pure confusion. “They’re throwing themselves to the wolves for Pete’s sake! Can’t you see that?”

“What do you mean… oh…OH! Wait, what? But why?” Asked Rainbow her eyes wide with shock.

Shining smiled solemnly at the mare, which only seemed to confuse her more. “Because it's our duty as soldiers. Now come on, we’re wasting time.”

They filed out of the basement into the small empty lot outside their hideout. Shining listened for any signs of the enemy and thankfully found none. Breathing a sigh of relief, he took a moment to observe the black column of smoke rising from the center of the city. Sweet Dream’s distraction was impressive. He couldn’t have done better.

“Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy,” He addressed the two pegasi with a heavy heart. “If the chance presents itself and you two can fly out of here. Do not hesitate to do so. Remember our objective is for you three Bearers to escape.”

“Like I could leave any pony behind. I am the element of loyalty.” Rainbow asserted. Her attuite was becoming tedious in the nicest of terms.

“Then you’re just wasting my comrades’ lives. Stop being so self-centered and follow the plan.” He stressed to the gun-ho pegasi. That heart to heart from just a few minutes ago seemed to have already passed through her mind like a breeze. “Will you comply, Lady Fluttershy?”

The yellow pegasus shivered, nodding silently. He honestly had his doubts she could fly fast enough to escape anyway.

“I’m sorry Applejack, but you’ll have to hoof it out here with the rest of us.”

“I understand, I won’t slow you down.” The farm mare acknowledged.

“Good, my team will go out first and raise a ruckus. Take that chance to make your escape.”
Shining gave the soldiers guarding the three mares one last salute and then saluted the volunteers in his group. With one final farewell, he teleported onto the roof of the building three doors down. Already they had the enemy’s attention as several patrol groups spotted them at once. Weaving another spell, Shining stuck out his chest with pride and shouted at the top of his lungs. “Come and face us you scum! For Equestria!” He screamed his horn flashed with a blinding light, momentary blinding everypony looking at them. His team began firing with their hoof blasters killing a dozen enemy combatants in seconds. Random magic blast zoomed past as the enemy blindly fired back. Raising a shield Shining made it as bright and flashy as possible, making themselves an even bigger target. In the corner of his eye, he saw the flash of Rainbow’s tail disappear as the others made their escape.

(Thank Celestia.) He sighed as the enemy surrounded them in mass. With his talents, he should be able to hold them off for a while. After covering Canterlot and fending off an army of Changelings, maintaining a shield of this size was nothing.

“Conserve your ammo, I got this, take your time and make sure every attack is a kill,” Shining ordered. “We’ll hold out for as long as we can!”

“””“YEEEAH!””” His comrades roared in reply.

While the others attacked, Shining took a moment to look at the giant magic wall erected at the southern part of the city. Explosions rocked the area as the sound of the airship’s cannons boomed. He hoped if they made enough noise here, they would pull some forces from the front.

“Please, breakthrough.” He prayed, fortifying the shield even further as more Equinox joined the fray. Sweat began to drip down his temple. At this rate, ten minutes was all he could last. Comparing these ponies to changelings was laughable. They were twice or maybe even five times for powerful.

Suddenly in the east, a massive explosion wiped out a section of the city. In the shockwaves, he could fell the tingle of magic. Not just any magic, but Cadence’s magic. His magic flicked for a moment, but he redoubled his focus.

(She’ll be fine. She will be fine!)


BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

Explosions shake the magical barrier projected by Sombra’s forces. Many shivered with fear as the old stories of the menacing war machine from their bedtime tales was finally before them. The joyous feeling of sinking one of the vessels had long since passed as the remaining two opened up with their artillery batteries. The constant rain of heavy cannon fire kept them in their place while the Equestrian forces set up defensive positions barely a hundred yards from their base. The cannons on wheels. Another new terrifying Equestrian weapon bombarded bottom of the shield while the enemy soldiers dug their foxholes and angulate the earth into walls. Further strengthening their foothold.

Historically being the besieged army, they would have the advantage. They had the protection of their mages and the numbers and supplies to ward off the enemy. They could even shoot through their own shield, but they couldn’t charge outside of the barrier less they be struck down another one of the Equestrians offensive weapons. Five hundred of their brethren lay on the ground in front of their base from when they tried to overrun the smaller force. The skies were no better as the airship’s heavy flak, and enemy pegasi filled the skies making take-off impossible.

They planned to stay hunkered down until reinforcement arrived or one of their Lords showed up to take command. Waiting should have been a safe and viable option. They could simply pick off the Equestrians from the safety of the shield in the meantime.

Then an explosion came from within the city.

They all knew when they saw the fireball that it was the staging base for their reinforcements. Commander Bright Jr. looked stressed as he swiveled his head from the front and rear. Thinking what they were all thinking. Could there be enemies behind them? Had they slipped up? There had been no reports that new enemy forces had entered the city. It should just be the small party they allowed inside, and most of them had been captured or killed. Inevitably there weren’t enough of them manage such an outrageous attack?

“Stand strong my brothers!” Commander Bright urged heroically. “We shall not fail our king here!”

The commander’s words of encouragement lifted their spirits for a moment. The brief, fleeting moment that was quickly washed away like a message in the sand. The cause? The horrible whinnying roar of the one dubbed ‘shield breaker.’ To add insult to injury, it was the Equestrian Rinin Commander that forced Lord Ombre to withdraw from battle.

The orange rinin cloaked in a brilliant azure fire broke through their massive defensive shield like it was nothing. His speed was that of gods soaring swiftly into the ranks and cutting down any pony in his path. Sometimes he would hit one of the mages casting the shield spell, and their barrier would gain a hole, and that would, in turn, let a stray cannonball fly in and wipe out a dozen or more of them. The most vexing part was before they could even react to the rinin he would slip out of their range, daring them to give chase into the field of death outside.

“Damn you! Damn you all to hell!”

“Daga!” Commander Bright shouted. He turned to his commanding lord with hope to retaliate against the enemy. “Take your unit into the city and see what’s happening.”

Daga stared glossy eyed at his commander wanting to protest his assignment, but Bright already turned his attention to other more pressing things. “At once, sir.” He saluted and led his band of Equinox into the streets. As he marched, a shadow passed overhead. A shadow that made him well with hope and zeal.

“Come on! Let’s hurry so we can aid our lord!”

“Hazzuh!” His troops cheered as they galloped.


“Commander Topaz, how are things going?” Spitfire asked. From her position aboard the Centurion, she could only see a haze of black smoke and the occasional orange flash of Topaz as he zoomed through the skies. A bit of jealousy swelled in her heart as she watched the orange rinin soar at speeds she would be lucky to reach on her best day.

“Poorly. We brought the fight to them, but we’re stalled. If we don’t break through soon, we’ll be in real trouble again. What’s the status on the Princesses arrival? Could really use some of Celestia’s artillery magic right now.”

Spitfire glowered. “No idea. And if she would have been such a help, why did you have the Princesses and all the unicorns stay back until now?”

“Because of the guys that knocked out Gloves would have killed them first getting rid of our magic support. I also wanted the enemy to exhaust their mages first. That guy, Ombre, said he was the third son. I have to assume his siblings are off similar if not higher level. If we really need to Fury, Sixes and I could each take one and the Princess one each, that’s if we don’t get ganged up on. Hold on I’m going in for another sweep.” Topaz cut off the transmission, and a bright blue fireball engulfed the sky and careened down into the enemy base.

Once again, Spitfire was left waiting and stewing in her own shortcomings. Seeing the power Topaz and the other Rinin displayed really made her wish one her parents had been a dragon or something.

“Speaking which…” Her mind to turned to Fury and what the results of the DNA test were. “Forget it, another time and place.” She muttered going straight to professional again. If she has time to waste on silly things, she can better use it by thinking of a way to take down that barrier before the enemy magic cannons get ready to fire again.

Right now, Topaz was the only one that could pierce through the shield. They tried sending flyers around the barrier to flank the enemy, but that didn’t pan out. The enemy flak decimated the squads sent and even trying to break into the city was proving difficult. Several other teams prodded other sectors of the city meeting stiff resistance. Painfully as is it to admit that spectacular explosion earlier did little to weaken the city’s defenses.

“Could we go around through the rear?” Posed Spitfire. The rear of a fortress was usually under guarded if the army was out front, but even as the question left her mouth, it was apparent it wouldn’t work. To sneak around the city would require going back outside with a small enough force that wouldn’t be noticed easily. Such a task force would be of little use if the back of the city were even half as fortified as the front. A few dozen ponies would be the max amount they could send. Still, it may have its merits. When the third wave arrives, it would be more likely to work. Right now they couldn’t spare anypony.

“What if we aim over the shield and strike the city? That would violate several international laws unless we send a notice, then it’s perfectly legal. Kind of. Not really. Princess Celestia would have my career if I ordered that. Never mind we have ally forces inside. So urban bombing is out.” Spitfire sighed, lamenting her new position. When she was a captain, she didn’t have to think this hard during a battle. Not that she’s ever been in anything this grand scale. Just special ops and some volunteering for other countries allied with Equestria.

While in her musing a bright blue light come flying out of force field, but not in a controlled manner. Spitfire took up her spyglass and saw Topaz Slicer flying backward through the sky. “That can’t be good. Topaz what’s happening?” Before he could answer, another giant black stallion come barreling after the rinin. She could only assume it was one of Ombre’s brothers. “Never mind, need any backup?”

“Focus on the bombardment, break that shield!” Topaz snarled through his gemcom.

She didn’t retort at his tone because it was apparent, he was snarling at the newcomer. Which unfortunately meant their lead Commander and strategist was tied up.

“Ok, do we have any pony here that can help take on that?” Spitfire pointed to the epic battle between Topaz and Sombra’s son as a fantastical series of explosions went off around them. Her staff remained tight-lipped. “That’s what I thought. Focus on taking down the shield, one of you keep me updated on Topaz’s battle. If you see a chance throw a few missiles or bombs at that black stallion, do it.”

“Yes, ma’am!”

“Good now,” A pegasus flew by her catching Spitfire off guard as she watched the flyer head right for Topaz. “Stop right there! You’ll just get in the way!”

“I can handle myself,” The mystery flyer replied over the coms, leaving Spitfire stumped because she recognized the voice.

“Colonel, should we go stop her?” Somepony asked.

She shook her head, “No, if any pony can help it might just be her. You all better get this one tape; we get the rare chance to see the Rogue Wonder in action.”

“That’s the rogue wonder?” The deck crew whispered with astonishment. Their moral rising as they rushed back to their posts.

(Daring if you can do something please do it!) Spitfire agonized before turning her attention to the task before her.


(Another desperate fight, just what I need today!) Were Topaz’s thoughts as he spun and flipped over his opponent’s spear thrust. The fourth son of Sombra, Schatten, is what he introduced himself as while ramming into him screaming his name, but it was all the same. An irrational part of his brain wanted to believe since this was the fourth son, perhaps, just maybe he would be weaker than his brother Ombre.

That theory was quickly proven false. Schatten was as skilled if not more so then his older brother. Attacking with pinpoint strikes, leaving little chance to counter and most importantly, he wasn’t rambling on and on. As he dodged another strike Topaz let loose a stream of hot plasma to keep the black and blue stallion at bay.

(If I weren’t using haste I would have been gutted from the outset. This guy is fast!) Skidding across the ground Topaz ignited his wings with Plasma, combined with Haste he zoomed forward blindly. He flew right by Schatten, his attack missing completely as he rocketed past. Before he had a chance to recover Schatten was on him. Shooting spells and thrusting with his spear. The tip scrapped across his shoulder plate. He cringed and ducked under the larger pony only to get a metal boot to the face! Schatten bore his spear downward, and Topaz was forced to use Haste to randomly fly out of the way.

“I thought you were using teleportation at first, I admit. But you're just using speed enhancement. It’s simple enough to counter if you don’t have your head up your ass like my older brother does.” Said Schatten keeping on guard as he spoke. Topaz did the same staying several yards away from the Dark Prince. “You’re putting up a better fight then your brethren did. The gray one.”

“Trifecta?” Topaz questioned.

“I believe that was his name. He’s alive at the moment, my sister is using her in one of her twisted schemes.”

(So, Trifecta is in the castle most likely. That opens up a lot of doors to exploit.)

“You look like you think your friend has a chance to escape.”

Topaz smirked. “For all you know he already has. I’m not worried about him.”

“Even though your red brethren, Fierce Fury has already been slain?”

“You killed Fierce Fury?”

“My brother did, but I saw the body myself.” Schatten pointed his spear forward. “Tell me your name before I kill you. I’ll spare you from the madness that is my older sister.”

“Topaz Slicer and don’t worry I’ll make sure your sister doesn’t have to see your mangled body, I’ll reduce you to ash and give you to her in a jar!”

“We shall see!”

Topaz bolted right letting loose with his hoof blaster firing a full barrage and spewing fire to keep Schatten from charging him. Next, he gained altitude and fired his blaster again and charged up the crystal blade on his left foreleg. A crackling sword of plasma extended from the crystal spike and he charged forward, knocking Schatten’s thrust astray and thrusting his right claw forward.

“Not good enough!” Schatten declared summoning a black portal in front of him. Sending Topaz flying through it and right into the path of his spear.

“Look out!” A feminine voice screamed ramming on to Topaz. Much to the shock of Schatten, both Topaz and mysterious mare disappeared right before his eyes. Wildly he looked around for them, finding them more than half a mile away from him! At first, he wondered if this was one of the princesses. What breed besides alicorn could fly and cast teleport? Casting a sight enhancement spell, he was surprised to see the newcomer had no horn that he could see. Not only that, she was vomiting blood?

“Hmm, some strange ability perhaps? No matter.” He pointed his lance forward and charged at the duo.

“Sweet Celestia’s ass! What the hell?” Daring screamed, throwing up another gulp of blood. This never happened before when her guardian angel saved her, so why now? As she swayed on her feet, Topaz grabbed her and carried her away as Schatten appeared, the ground exploding as the Dark Prince’s spear hit the earth. She was still reeling when something hot sprinkled on her cheek. Daring touched the spot in question and found more blood staining her coat. The realization hit her like a train as she looked at Topaz, who had blood seeping out between his teeth. Even he got hurt from the teleport.

“I’m sorry this usually doesn’t happen.” She tried to explain. “See I have this guardian angel and she usually keeps me from dying so… ahh…”

“Save it for later!” Topaz snapped.

They zoomed ahead Schatten hot on their trail firing a barrage of magic blasts at them. Topaz spun upside down flying backward and fired his hoof blaster at the prince and then zoomed into the sky, firing a full-scale fire breath. All the while hugging Daring close, she got a good read on his heartbeat, and it was going two miles a minute!

“Hey, buddy if you keep this up your heart might explode!” She warned.

“Shut up!” More blood flew out of his mouth, his vision blurred as he dodged another barrage of magic blasts. One hit his right rear leg. He staggered in midair adjusting his flight path now that one his legs out of commission. A focused magic beam shot at them, he twirled and ducked around the blast, but it changed course coming right back at them and was about to hit them when they vanished again!

Topaz now conscious that something was happening to them noted how different it was from teleportation. When traveling via teleport, the sensation of moving is still there because of the air resistance the magic has to fight when moving. This was completely different. It wasn’t so much moving at high speed. It was as if somepony plucked him out of existence and put him back. No feeling of movement, no resistance. He was just boom! In a different place.

Once again, they were in a completely different spot, this time behind Schatten and same as before it felt like his organs were rupturing! “Fuck…” He agonized in pain, falling to his stomach. Friendly fire was going to kill him well before the enemy would!

“Hey… you don’t look… so good…” Daring said weakly.

Topaz looked down to see the tawny pegasus was bleeding from her eyes! The wetness rolling down his cheek informed him so was he.

(I can’t do that again.) A disembodied voice said. It sounded like a mare. For a brief moment, Topaz saw the static black visage of a pony appear before him and disappear like a phantom.

“What the fuck is going on here? I would have been better off without your fucking help!” He screamed at the phantom. He usually didn’t lose his cool, but Luna dammit how was rupturing his organs helping?!

(I’m sorry.)

He snarled, barely standing up straight anymore. Schatten slowly approached, twirling his spear slowly as he did so. “Well, this isn’t very sporting. I’ve barely hit you and look at the mess you're in. Tell me, is this your ability or hers?” He asked, pointing his spear at Daring.

“No idea.”

“Hmm, I can’t sense any pony else. Perhaps I’ll take the mare back as a war bride. I’m not as aggressive about it as my brother is, but she intrigues me.”

“Back the fuck off!” Snarled Topaz standing protectively over Daring. “I don’t know her name, but she’s one of ours. I’ll die before letting you have her.”

Schatten pointed his spear forward, engulfing it in a blue aura. “Very well.”

Topaz closed his eyes instinctively. He almost couldn’t believe this is how it ends for him, protecting some strange mare he didn’t know. There were worse ways to die, but it sucked that despite his convictions, the girl was still going to be taken and get abused in all sorts of ways he couldn’t imagine. While he could, but he didn’t want to. (It’s taking a long time to die, or am I already dead?)

He dared to open his eyes. The spear tip floated right in front of his face stopped by some mysterious force. Quickly he looked around for the Princesses or some pony with horn, expecting even Platinum, but there was no pony else here. Then he looked down, the mare he was protecting was glowing her eyes whited out. A horn constructed of black lightning protruded from her head.

“Activating Defense Measures-Alpha 1 Gamma 5, Project double Rainbow, Series black,” Daring spoke in a robotic and toneless voice. “Changing electrical molecule vectors, shield spell, Reject, activated.”

Schatten spear rebounded, cutting his cheek as it flew a mile past him. The dark prince could only stare touching the wound on his face in disbelief. “What madness is this?” He fired a blast of magic from his horn, the attack flying right back at him. Seering his breastplate. Strolling around Schatten prodded from every direction, every attack he used firing back at him. “Interesting.”

Several explosions rocked the area around them. Both Topaz and Schatten looked to see one of the Equestrians airships flying towards them, blasting away with their cannons. One came really close to hitting the dark prince while another bounced off the mysterious shield surrounded Topaz, drifting off into a random direction.

“Well, let’s call it a draw this time.” Schatten declared opening a portal. “I will be back for her, though. Keep her alive for me.” With those words, he disappeared into black mist.

Topaz took a second to pinch himself, disbelieving what he had seen with his own eyes. The enemy had actually retreated? He knew well enough a single airship wouldn’t have been enough to beat Schatten, maybe it had more to do with the dark prince’s fighting style. Just maybe he wasn’t well versed fighting multiple opponents.

“I’ll have to think about that later. What do I do about you?” He asked Daring. She was still doing the whole glowing eyes thing, and the black horn of lightning was still perched on her head. Topaz hesitated to snap her out of the trance, afraid Schatten only pretended to retreat to throw him off guard.

“Commander Topaz!” The leader of the Pegasus squad shouted landing beside Daring’s barrier. “What is all this?”

“Don’t know,” He replied curtly flicking Daring on the forehead. Immediately her pupils returned, and her lightning horn disappeared along with the magic shield. Topaz hoped she could explain what she just did, but she fell to the ground like a puppet that had its strings cut. Unconscious. (How typical.) “Keep your mouths shut about this and help me get her to the ship. She’s injured.”

“Right away sir, you look to be in a bad way yourself.”

Topaz didn’t comment. He wasn’t in good shape, he needed medical assistance and a gallon of healing potion. As he limped, his ears twitched at the sound behind him, a soft, gentle noise, like something hitting the ground. Whirling around Topaz cursed himself. Schatten stood over the four ponies that had been helping Daring, the mare herself thrown on to his back. The dark prince was smirking victoriously sinking back into the black portal he had emerged from.

“Damn you!” Topaz charged plasma danced on his wings as he cast haste to cut off the fourth son’s head. He zoomed past, cutting nothing but air as Schatten disappeared beneath the ground. Another portal opened in the sky over the enemy’s barrier, the dark Prince vanished beyond the horizon with his prize.

“Sir, sir, where you going?” The squad leader shouted as Topaz took off at a run. “Sir your injuries!”

“I’m getting her back!” He snarled in reply, his eyes narrow slits of rage with hints of silver hue. Taking flight Topaz cast haste and flew through the enemy barrier. The first enemy he saw he grabbed with his jaws, crushing the poor soul’s skull between his teeth. He spat the dead urchin out and leaped onto the next one. Fighting with a ferociousness and savagery, the Equinox had never seen. So, shell shocked they were by the bold attack, many could only remain stunned as the hungry orange beast sliced through their ranks. Only when two dozen of them fell did they retaliate. Their attempts were feeble as few dared to actually approach the rinin. Choosing to fire magic attacks from a distance. Eventually, their fear compelled them to charge as Topaz tanked through the storm of attacks.

They stabbed him. They shot him. They clubbed him with their bare hooves. They did everything they could think of to stop him. His armor fell from his body, pieces of it were left in his wake as Topaz made a beeline into the city. A blood trail so obvious even a child could follow it led into the city, but none of them followed. None of them dared to.

“He’ll die of blood loss, right?” One soldier quivered.

“Yeah, he’s done for either way.”

“No creature could survive all that for long.”

It seemed rational. No, it was only logical that was the fate awaiting the Rinin. There was no way he could survive. “Commander Bright?” The first soldier inquired, fearing what his commanding officer might say.

“Leave him be, send a message to the castle though, just in case. Stay focus on the front! I’m sure lord Schatten will return soon. What’s the status on the disturbance in the western sector?”

“Sir,” A breathless Equinox saluted. “The last report was Lord Scath was on his way to deal with the enemy combatants in that area. Another eyewitness report from the east stats that a Princess Zil captured two intruders.”

“Good, things may look grim, but remember this is our home! Our country! It is our duty and honor to defend it from invaders!”

“” YEAH!”’’

Commander Bright turned back toward the Equestrian, his heart soaring with pride. They could do this. They would win!

An explosion when off behind him.

“Smoke rising from the castle gate!” A soldier shouted.

Bright looked back to see the report was accurate and sighed. “Let it not phase you! Remember who dwells there, our master and king! And the mightiest of us all. Let the fools there meet their death! Our duty is here!”

The lines reformed, but the damage was done. The soldiers were continually looking behind their backs, afraid of another surprise attack in the rear. He couldn’t blame them. He was sincerely regretting letting those ponies in now.

(I must make up for my failure here. I’m sorry for burdening you, my lords.)


In the shadow of the castle wall, Goodnight and Smokey Haze lied in waiting in the shadows, watching Bixin and Vani Lu attack the front gate with the tank. Their shots weren’t pinpoint. Instead, they were random and scattered to rile up the enemy. A few smoke rounds were mixed in to make things extra hazy. By the time the guards were organized and firing back, the tank was rolling off to the west leading the guards away.

“They’ll be ok. Let’s go.” Smokey Haze said urging Goodnight to move. “I’ll meet you up top.”

Before his very eyes, Smokey Haze became a literal cloud of smoke and floated to the guard tower at the top of the wall. A short-pained yelp was heard and then nothing. Goodnight flew up, and the door to the guard house opened, Smokey holding open the door. Inside was creepy. Every guard was dead from clear signs of smoke inhalation. Their eyes were rolled back, and their tongues were shriveled up extreme heat.

“That’s a scary ability you have.” Goodnight shuttered.

A knock came from the other door, Smokey Haze dispersed into a cloud of black smoke and traveled through the cracks in the door. Goodnight opened the door, letting the gasping guard in. The Equinox gasped for air as pure black carbon poured from his mouth, he coughed and sputtered as his eyes rolled back and he fell to the ground dead. Smokey Haze emerged from the guard’s mouth and became corporeal again.

“Very scary,” He repeated. “What do we do next?”

“What we came to do. Don’t worry, my squad is very adept for things like this.” Smokey said brazenly exiting the guard house.

Goodnight cocked his head in curiosity as he chased after the quiet rinin. “What squad is that?”

“Squad M: Bravo.” He replied, dispersing into smoke. “I’ll watch your flank, just walk around like you belong here. I’ll take care of any problems.”

(I don’t think we’ll have enough hiding places for bodies.) Goodnight half-joked as he entered the castle.

Author's Note:

Had a tough time with the Topaz Schatten fight. Rewrote it three times.

PreviousChapters Next