• Published 2nd Nov 2016
  • 2,202 Views, 217 Comments

Night Patrol 2: Awakening - Foxgear



A thousand years she was in the moon, now she's back and living in a strange new world. Her friends and comrades gone, nothing but dust in the dirt. With only her sister Luna look towards the future, but the past keeps calling her back.

  • ...
5
 217
 2,202

PreviousChapters Next
To the Frozen North!

Night Patrol 2 Chapter 30
By Foxgear


One Day since the Crystal Empire’s return


His name was Private Easy Breeze. A low level, none descript grunt. He dyed his coat white just like most of the ponies in the guard. He didn’t stick his head out, and he didn’t complain even when he was sent to the frozen shit hole that was the frozen north. He thought he’d just run out his deployment in the frozen wastes and then maybe sign up for a warmer climate next time. He didn’t need glamorous work or need to become a legendary hero. He just needed a steady paycheck for his family. It was hard living away from his daughters for three months at a time, only coming home for a short three days once a month, but his wife understood. Times were hard for them and this is what they needed to do. He never thought anything exciting would happen out in the frozen wastes.

Then the rogue wonder showed up and in mere seconds. His squadron mates that he’s known for years were killed in the most horrible ways possible. He was fleeing for his life with a message of the utmost importance for the Princesses. The fate of the nation may ride on him. And he hated it.

He falls ungracefully onto the grassy plains, the mountains to the north behind him at least, the sun’s soft kiss warming his body. He unbuckles his heavy coat, now hot and sweaty from his desperate flight and drastic change in climate. He trots forward, his prance swaying widely, there was a pain in his right side. His vision suddenly became blurry and he falls over wheezing hard, his lungs burning. He felt the heat of his own blood spill from his side. Craning his head, he sees the red trail trace back to his coat, a black spike sticking through the heavy fabric.

His adrenaline had been so high he hadn’t even felt it. His coat sealing the wound as he flew. Now it was out and his racing blood was flowing out of him fast. He presses on the wound with his hoof, while reaching for his saddlebags and pulls out a flare. Pulling the string with his teeth the flare shoots up into the air, a bright red light in the blue sky. His head hits the soft grass, he was so tired, and the grass was so comfortable right now. Maybe he’ll just sleep for a little bit. The outpost isn’t far away, somepony will find him.


Two hours later


“Is this where the flare come from?” Sergeant Pinstripe of outpost N1930 asked his subordinates as they comb the area. An emergency flare had been spotted about an hour ago and they quickly mobilized, first sending out the pegasi to investigate. Another flare shot up and he quickly gallops towards the source. He finds his pegasus team encircled around a fallen figure. The red-stained white coat told him all he needed to know. One of their own was taken out. “Does he have his ID with him?”

One of the other pegasus over by a discarded coat and pack flags him over. The pony’s military ID held between his feathers. He takes with his magic and reads it. “P1458039, Easily Breeze, he’s from the northern outpost 1931 if I remember right. Question is what’s he doing here?”

Pinstripe looks down at the bloody winter coat, a black crystal arrow of sorts protruding from the coat. Needless to say, the poor pegasus had been attacked and injured, but by what? He pockets the ID walking back over to Easily Breeze. There was no movement, no indication of life as far as he could tell. But he wasn’t a Doctor.

“Sky Dock, what’s his condition?” A green pegasus with a red cross on his armor pokes and prods the body with his wing. Peeling open Easily Breeze’s eye to reveal their glossy color.

“He’s gone, probably died only thirty minutes ago, maybe an hour. Possibly in his sleep, so at least he went peacefully. His body is already stiff, so he most likely was in a very high adrenaline state allowing rigger mortise to settle in quickly. He might have made if he hadn’t removed the arrow.”

Pinstripes licks his lip. “He might not have realized he was hurt. He must have been running scared. Pinner might be dead too.”

“Pinner, Sir?”

“The unicorn at the frozen outpost. They didn’t send a letter, so it’s safe to assume they couldn’t and he was flying here to tell us something has happened. Something bad obviously.” He magics over the arrow. Really it wasn’t an arrow so much as a spike of crystal. What creature used such a weapon? “We’ll compile a report and send it to Canterlot. In the meantime, we’ll have an expedition team go and check things out. Also, close the track, not many ponies come this way, but we don’t need some civilians wondering into danger.”

“Roger!” The gathered ponies salute and quickly began working on their tasks, while the medic team gathered Easily Breeze’s body and things.

“Make sure to mark this location. Just in case the big wigs at Canterlot want to look at it. Make sure to keep communications open! If this another invasion we need to be alert!”

Pinstripe looks at the daunting cliffs wondering was lurks beyond them.


Three days since The Crystal Empire’s return


Celestia was irked, but unfortunately, she was in a place where she couldn’t show she was irked. It would not do for her to be irked in front of her new general and colonels as they were led through Fancy Pant’s new military factories. Platinum De Belle led their little tour group, chatting excitedly with Fancy as they walk through what they dubbed “The Prototype” Facility. Where they designed all the new weapons and armor before sending the blueprints out to other much more industrialized cities around Equestria.

Now she was not irked about the factory, it’s products or any of that. Frankly, it was all so wonderfully organized and efficient. No, she was irked by the fact that the facility and several others had not been brought to her attention until this morning! The whole works have been in place since after the invasion and this was her first knowing of it!

Truthfully, she was at a crossroad because as Fancy stated when he invited her and the other military brass to come see things, this was his private company, Fancy Arms. As such it was not a government facility and as such, she didn’t need to be told about it. What made it worse is she probably approved the paperwork for it, but failed to really understand what it was in the flood of papers from reconstructing Canterlot. It did not help her irks that Luna stood beside her, chewing popcorn and looking unsurprised, meaning she was well aware of things and didn’t tell her either.

Luna response when asked as to why she didn’t inform her was to simply shrug and say, “You don’t like to deal with the military stuff, so I thought you wouldn’t be bothered.” It was sorry fact that her statement was true.

Still, she wasn’t really mad at Fancy or the others. In fact, she was proud that her ponies did so much without needing her guidance. One of her biggest worries is that ponies depend too much on her, not to name names, (Cough, Twilight, cough) so really it was nice to see her ponies be so independent. On the other hoof, she also felt like a mother whose children didn’t really need them anymore. A rather silly feeling and certainly shouldn’t be enough for her to be irked, but well… she was only a pony too.

“And this is the new model of armor for the GAE unicorn and earth ponies, Solar Mail -Phase 5 Mass production model!” Platinum excitedly presented a full set of armor on display on a rack. The armor looked like it was based on the Night Patrollers Moon Phase -3 Midnight armor. No surprise there, but even she could tell there were noticeable differences. Firstly, the color, it was an orangish brown color, not quite as stealthy as Midnight Blue, but it wasn’t quite as shiny as gold either. Next, while it clearly offered more protection than the old EUP standard, it wasn’t quite as plated as Night Patrols armor either. “As you can see we made several improvements, as well as compromises keeping costs down with the maximum amount of protection for our general troops. We have several heftier variants for specialty troops, such as the Commandos who have added rune protections engraved, but if the wearer so chooses the SM5 can be easily modified with the same runes or whatever the wearer chooses. Next, we have our improved flight armor. Aerial Sky Combat model- Phase three. ASC-3 for short.”

Platinum leads them to the next armor on the rack. A model pony was enclosed in a tight spandex suit, with a slit for the genitals exposed. The model wore a flight helmet, with a chest plate and shoulder plates. As well as segmented plates on the back, belly, and neck for easier maneuverability.

“As you can see here,” Platinum continued. “We stuck with the standard Wonderbolt flight suit with only minor improvements such as sky camouflage and better insulations. Really our pride comes in the lightweight armor added to the suit for maximum protection and flight maneuverability. Capable of taking a direct blast from a standard magic bullet. The ground armor can take up to three hits before the wearer has to really start to worry, so make a note for the fliers that after that first shot, which will hurt by the way. The armor’s structure is compromised. It could take another hit, but its main focus is to keep fliers from being one shot out of the sky.”

Platinum continued to walk moving to a third rack. This armor was almost a complete match to the night patroller armor, with a few slight alterations. “This,” The mare said with pride. “Is the Commando-Phase two armor. Combining the best of the original Commando armor designed by Allure and Master Starwind as well as components from the Phase three Moon Phase armor to make a sleek modern design for our budding special forces units. The armor is equipped with built-in Gem Communicators, magical mapping, a rune powered magical shield, elemental wards and much, much more that is all neatly explained in this manual.” She points to a three-hundred-page book on a pedestal. “Of the three armors we have produced over three thousand Solar Mail models with only a five percent defect rate, fifteen hundred ASC-3 armor sets at a seven percent defect rate, and five sets of commando armor, all are currently in final testing.”

“You’ve produced so many in only what? Two, three weeks? Impressive.” Cobalt states breaking from the pack to inspect the armor closer. Celestia held her tongue wanting to see how the new general conducted things. “What defects have you been finding?”

Platinum shrugs as she points to the problem spots. “The usual whenever you start mass producing stuff like this. Some places send lower quality steel that cracks when we press the plates with the machines. Others are warping from heating, or a piece doesn’t mold properly. I’m just happy we kept it under ten percent. If only the weapons division was doing so well.”

“What problems are you having?” Luna asks running up beside Platinum. “I thought the hoof blasters would be easy to produce.”

“If we were still making the HBM-1 (Hoof Blaster Model-1) yeah it would be easy, but the charge took too long for a lethal shot and their rate of fire was so slow. I was hoping we could jump right into the HBM-16, but that might have been too ambitious. The HBM-16, which you can see here.” Platinum leads them to a glass window where a pony had the hoof blaster mounted to their leg on the other side. The pinkish mare gave a signal and the pony began firing the blaster. “As you see, the HBM-16 fires a smaller more focused gem charged blast with as much power a standard unicorn with a three second recharge time. In this mode, it works well, but we also have it set to fire solid gem bullets for rapid fire.” She made another hoof gesture and the pony on the range began firing gem bullets. The blaster began to glow after only seven shots to which the pony ran and dunked its leg in a waiting bucket of water. “As you can see rapid fire mode overheats very quickly. At least when firing uncontrollably. In short three round bursts, the hoof blaster warms but keeps cool enough to remain in operation. The problem is the blaster operates on a mental trigger and if the wielder is distressed testing has shown they’ll just let loose and overheat the weapons. That being said the HBM-16 works well for both ground troops and fliers. In fact, up in the colder temps in the clouds, the blasters won’t overheat as fast. Let’s move on to something a little heftier in terms of firepower.”

They move over to another firing range, this time a pony stood with a what almost looked like a cannon attached to him via a harness. A chain of gem bullets led from the cannon to a saddle bag on the other side.

“This,” Platinum said with pride. “The heavy flank cannon, HFC, it fires a 750-gran gem bullet via a mental trigger, it fires 450 to 600 rounds a minute. It can be lugged by a single stallion.” On the ground next to the stallion was a mare with her legs flailing in the air. “We’re working on that. The barrel is air-cooled, but there is an emergency cooling system in place to keep from burning the user if they’re not wearing the proper equipment. The HFC weighs roughly ninety pounds, not including the two hundred bullet belt of ammo, a second pony is needed for reloading. But I will let it speak for itself, please observe the wall over there.” She gives the signal to fire.

The pony wielding the HFC nods plants his hooves and fires! The HFC makes a loud BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! Each shot hitting the brick wall and blowing chunks off. In little as twenty-five to fifty rounds a hole, the size of a pony’s head was made. The mannequins behind the wall blown to shreds.

“That concludes the small arms part of the tour. We already began produced a number of gem rockets as well, the same model as before, though we did make a ground unit variant. I’m afraid we have yet decided on a design for tanks and helicopters. We’re still setting up the faculties for that and also, we have yet begun constructing any Iron Airships. Though a few of those wooden ones have finally been completed. Anyway, all that can be dealt with later, any questions?”

“Yes, I do,” Cobalt said.

“So, do I!” Spitfire said excitedly.

“I’m interested in the defensive uses of these new weapons,” Bridge said as they all swarm around Platinum in an excited frenzy. The metal legged mare getting swamped as she tries to answers their questions all at once. In the confusion, Celestia, her ears dropped downwards steps away from the group. Looking depressingly at the factory.

The sun Princess looks at the workers as she places her forelegs over a rail overlooking the factory floor. They were so happy, almost gleefully so, how could they be so happy making weapons of war? Weapons meant to kill their fellow ponies, no not just ponies, every creature. It was this same sight that made her bring everything to halt before, but this time there would be no stopping the war machine.

“What are you looking so depressed for?”

Celestia looks to her right, her sister matching her pose of hanging her legs over the guardrail. Luna bore a smile, much like the workers, happy to see the industrial death being rolled out.

“You know why ponies shouldn’t need weapons like this.”

“Did ponies need to know spells that burned ponies alive? Or weaponize thunderclouds into bombs? Or how about sharpening logs into lances to stab each other?”

Celestia closed her eyes. “That’s not what I meant Luna. Why can’t we…”

“Don’t start,” Luna said forcibly. “We’ve had this discussion a hundred times. Can you not accept that some ponies are born to fight? There’s more than one Flash Magnus and Rockhoof. Or let me guess you’ve been suppressing that too these last thousands of years.”

“I just don’t want them to get hurt.”

“You don’t want them to take care of themselves.”

“No, I…!” Celestia’s coat bristled some workers stopped to look up at her before returning to work. She had almost yelled. In public no less. She should know better than to have debates like this in public places. A thousand years of creating her unflinching mask and Luna can still shake her so easily. “Let’s not talk about this now. I’m just… trying to process. I never wanted things like this place.”

“And because of that, we need them, not only that we need to play catch up. Fancy and everypony worked hard to get things where they are in so little time. But Roam wasn’t built in a day and training takes longer than building equipment.” Luna looks squarely at her. “I hope you're not getting cold hooves.”

“No,” Celestia replied promptly, hanging her head. “Just… old habits resurfacing. I am committed to this. I have to be, for the future of Equestria.”

Luna lays her wing over Celestia’s back. “I’ll handle things here if you want to leave.”

“Thank you, but I should stay. Running away won’t help.” A scroll suddenly puffed out of Celestia’s horn. Bearing Time Keeper’s seal. “What now.” She asked aloud unrolling the scroll.

“What does it say?” Luna inquires as she reads.

“Hmm, seems something has come up. A pony from one of the outposts as requested an audience with us. It seems urgent.”

They nod and both of them disappear in a burst of magic, reappearing in the throne room where Time Keeper was awaiting them. “Your Highnesses, I’m glad you’ve come quickly, it’s awful!”

“Slow down Keeper, what’s wrong?” Celestia tries to calm the usually composed pony when the doors open and the scent of blood fills the air. She and Luna turn as a unicorn missing one of its front legs hobble towards them, his bandage still wet with blood. He raises the stub saluting them.

“Sergeant Pinstripe of outpost N1930, reporting in.” The Sergeant wobbled, it wasn’t his only leg, he was covered in wounds! He looks at them with his left eye gouged out. “Two no three days ago, the pegasus of outpost N1931 was found dead at the base of the cliffs to the frozen north. I organized an investigation and we found… we found monsters and a dark fortress amongst the snow. Many, almost all of my unit died. I only made it back because of her help.”

“Her?” Celestia questioned.

“The Rogue wonder herself, Lieutenant Daring. She was in the area when my search team arrived. She warned us to get away, but… well, we didn’t heed her advice soon enough. When I came too, I was patched up and being hauled back by my secondary team. Daring already gone into the frozen wastes again. I was told she was leading the black horde away. They ignored us completely once they caught sight of her. I do not know why though.”

“Could you describe this black horde and this fortress you speak off?” Luna asked the Sergeant. Though they both knew who it was already deep down in their guts, they didn’t want to accept that HE has returned.

Pinstripes explains the horror he saw, Celestia looking very disturbed as the events are recounted to her and Luna. What’s worse is the dark forces of Sombra have been roaming the Northern lands for three or more days already!

“This… this... wasn’t what I saw.” She was feeling faint. How could her vision so wrong? She had been planning on sending Cadence and Twilight with a small band of guards! They would have been slaughtered before even reaching the city! “Luna!” Her sister wasn’t in the room. “Luna!”

She heard what sounded like fireworks and her gut churned. Celestia ran to the nearest balcony, finding Luna shooting up magical bolts that exploded into a simple and familiar code to those who knew it.

From all over Canterlot and beyond a reply of fireballs shooting into the air filled the sky.
--break

Canterlot, Southern district Public Park
--break

“Uncle Tri! Uncle Tri! Look fireworks!” Little Thrice and Trina squeal with delight, but he looked grimly at the colorful lights, reading their true message.

“Time to get off, you two.” He said depositing the two foals gently on the ground. He nuzzles them as they whine, wanting to play more. “Sorry, I got to go.”

“But why?” Trina cries hugging his leg as their father trots over.

Little Thrice look at him with an impossible amount of wisdom and maturity for his age. “Are you going to fight again?”

Trifecta ruffs the little foal’s mane. “Yeah, I am. I’ll see you two later when I get back.”

“But what if you don’t come back!” Little Thrice screams as Trifecta prepared to take off, freezing at the little foal’s words.

He settles down looking at his descended nephew and niece. “Then I don’t, simple as that.” The two begin to well up with tears. “But I promise I’ll do my best to come back and when I do, I’ll tell you all about it. Ok?”

“Ok.” Little Thrice replies hugging up close to his father.

“Why do you have to go, Uncle Tri?” Trina asks as she snuggles up with her brother. He looks at Thrice the Fourth, their father, trying to come up with some words for the children. Fourth didn’t offer any words merely shrugging to do his best.

“I’m going so your Daddy doesn’t have to and so you two can grow up and not have to go either.” He parts with those words, flying over the city skyline towards the Nightmare. Other Rinin join him in the sky as he made for home. Already the deck was a scrambling mess as all the Patrollers on leave in the city rush to the armory for their equipment. A lightning trail climbing up the side of the airship signals the return of his bunkmates. Shock and Jockey.

Gliding on to the deck Trifecta makes haste for his armor rack, passing fellow sub commander Gloves, the blue rinin hastily pulling on his large golden gauntlet as he makes for the armory.

“Where’s AppleJazz?” He asks wondering where the third sub commander was. Last he knew she was still on vacation in Ponyville.

“She’s with Topaz helping with the castle. Transmissions via gem coms have already been sent with a chopper.”

“Sending a chopper huh, things must be serious.” He said surprised while strapping on his chest plate.

Gloves nodded putting on his helmet. “They’ll probably pick up some of the others there too.”

He puts on his helmet trotting with Gloves to the command deck. Hopefully, the Admiral was around or Fury or Sixes, otherwise, he was in charge and he didn’t want to try organizing this mess.

“Do you know where we’re going?” Trifecta asked Gloves as they entered the command room, it was abuzz with ponies chatting over the gem comms. Several voices yelled over the intercoms all at once.

“North to the frozen wastes. Though I can’t imagine why.”

A grim grin spread across Trifecta’s muzzle. “The Crystal Empire.”

Suddenly the room went quiet as a single gem communicator operator screams into the intercom. “What do you mean we only have one engine!”

--break

Canterlot Train Yard, several hours later

--break

“Please for the love of the gods tell me this is a joke!” Fury barks at the train conductor as a Pink and purple coal train was currently hooked up to a mile of heavy-duty military transport cars. The kind for troop transport and some flatbeds for the tanks, because apparently, some fool thought it was a good idea to disable all the engines at once instead of fixing them one at a time as was planned.

Not that he couldn’t understand the thinking behind it. Things have been slow. So, the engineers probably thought they had plenty of time to do all the engines at once. And since repairing one had only taken the better part of four days they thought they were saving time. Well low and behold, Murphy come at them with full force. Now they only had one gem engine for a ship that needs at least two just to move! Now they had to scramble to get a train ready. Thankfully the tracks ran almost right to the Crystal Empire. However. They were not doing to make there with the tanks with the Pink monstrosity.

“Connect to troop transport cars and start loading infantry off at outpost N1930.” He told the engineer. He barked at some other officer telling them to get their barracks ready for transport. Walking to a quiet place he calls Platinum over the comms. “Platinum, think you can mod a train to pull six tanks, plus artillery and munitions?”

“If your referring to that little pink engine, I already took a look and I’m working on something, but it still won’t be enough. Good news though, Master left us a gift, it’s going to take a few days to get ready, but it’ll beat waiting for the ship.”

“Alright, glad you’re on top of things. I’ll keep organizing things here. Hopefully, the top brass has a more solid plan.”


Ponyville, One week since The Crystal Empire’s return


“Yes, Twilight, very good just like that.” VeeVee encouraged her pupil. They were in an empty field just outside of Ponyville, near the Apple’s farm. Adequate place for training. Not quite as secluded as Twilight’s original training ground, but that was now overrun with the Night Patrollers currently working on the castle. It had taken a little convincing on her part to get Twilight to change locations. Taking all measures to ensure she didn’t spout out that she didn’t want her fellow patrollers to know of her ‘magic’ wand. A hasty excuse of not wanting Twilight’s performance to suffer from peer pressure had barely sufficed. Quickly wittingly VeeVee dug into Twilight’s budding self-doubt and paranoia stating that when she was under Celestia’s wing she had been a student, an amateur and the best in her class. Flipping the praise on its head she told Twilight if she would get in the way of the Patrollers training there. Double downing on the fact she was a novice compared to them.

Thus, with those few words, they changed locations. Luckily, while her words had gotten to the purple unicorn. It only redoubled her training efforts.

VeeVee checked her stopwatch, ten minutes have passed since she sent Twilight about her task. The purple unicorn has been firing a constant beam of magic at the nearby pond, the water boiling from her efforts.

“Another five minutes, and you’ll beat yesterdays time.” She was lying. Twilight beat yesterday’s time five minutes ago, but she wanted to see what the little unicorn could really do and to find that out she was willing to push her. Hard. Harder then Celestia would ever dream of pushing her.

Twilight for her credit was still going at it. Though she looked less than presentable. The young unicorn was nearly on her belly, her eyes squeezed shut with tears falling like a faucet. Her horn was glowing red. Literally growing red! Hot stream bellowing off her horn like a train’s smokestack.

Another minute clicked by.

VeeVee stood tense. Twilight was on her belly now, crying, wailing to the sun in pain. Only she could hear her thanks to the sound barrier set up. It was now thirteen minutes. The magic beam began to waver sputtering out before dying. Twilight fell on her side, breathing hard. She resets the stopwatch and trots over to her student.

“So close, you were nearly there.”

“I can still do it! Please let me…” Twilight tried to get up. Tried being the keyword, but she couldn’t even raise her head. A case of extreme magic exhaustion. Well, it would be, but being a medical professional, VeeVee naturally studied ways to cut down on the recovery time. Popping the cork of a bottle in her saddlebag she pressed it against Twilight’s lips, force feeding the unicorn like a newborn. A pink aura shimmered around the purple unicorn and she bounced right up, her legs bucking slightly from her weight. Twilight began to charge up another beam, but she slapped the young unicorn on the horn. “OOUCH! THAT HURT!”

“It was supposed to,” VeeVee said cuttingly. “We did this yesterday and your still not listening properly. Now I gave you a twenty percent potion so we can move on from increasing your power to bettering your control and spell efficiently. Now fire three blasts repeatedly using as little magic as possible, but still making the blasts lethal. Do so until you’ve used up your magic again.”

“Ok,” Twilight planted her hooves, her coat was soaked with sweat and her horn was still warm, but she began to firing magic bullets into the pond. She swayed and faltered, her blasts landing all over the place.

“Remember accuracy.” VeeVee chides her student. “I’m wondering if you’re serious about becoming a true mage.” Twilight’s next three shots hit dead on in the same spot. “Good, keep that up. Here I’ll give you some targets.”

Pulling her wand from her saddlebag VeeVee levitated some rocks for Twilight to shoot. The purple youth was talented. Efficiently taking out each target in seconds. She levitates more stones, smaller ones. Twilight’s shots begin to miss, her eyes squinting hard, but she kept firing with determination. As if every shot was a major failure. Another proven point to showcase her self-perceived worthlessness.

It almost made VeeVee want to laugh. The filly couldn’t see her own power. She acts as if she was just another one of the cannon fodder. And maybe that’s what Celestia’ wanted, to keep her humble. One usually couldn’t get a pony like Twilight with this much talent without a healthy air of arrogance.

“Maybe she was doing something right,” VeeVee praised the Sun Princess.

Suddenly a whirlwind ran through the apple trees. Four Night Patrol choppers flew overhead heading toward the old castle in a hurry. VeeVee quickly dropped the sound barrier, her gem comm going off like mad!

“VeeVee! VeeVee come in, over! Where the hell are you!” One of the chopper pilots screamed over the comm. She quickly flew over the treetops, spying a fifth helicopter hovering over Ponyville.

“I’m just a few clicks out of town. I’ll be…”

“Twilight! VeeVee there you are!” Spike screamed running towards them with a letter in his claws. “You got a message from the Princess!”

Twilight’s head sprung up as she quickly snatched the scroll from Spike. “Oh, I hope she not mad about me skipping the mock battle thing… AGH!” VeeVee flew down behind Twilight, reading the message. It wasn’t anything special, just stating Twilight needed come to Canterlot immediately. Yet Twilight read it differently.

“Oh no! Princess Celestia probably wants to give me a surprise test! Come on Spike we gotta hurry!” Before VeeVee could begin to process that leap in logic, Twilight teleported, both her and Spike to the library. VeeVee took a moment to be impressed by her student for teleporting the three of them so easily. They had been more than five miles outside of town. And the lavender unicorn carried both her and Spike! On top of that, she was still only at a fraction of her usual power! Yet again! Twilight was obvious to this as if what she did was normal. Spike, of course, didn’t know any better. Really though it was almost as scary as it was amusing that Twilight didn’t seem to know her own power.

Now if only the lavender unicorn would stop gathering random useless trinkets and mumbling about a test that no pony but her mentioned, maybe they could figure things out. As if on cue all of Twilight’s friends entered the library.

“Um, Twilight?” Applejack prodded, trying to get the purple mare’s attention. Twilight ignored her. “TWILIGHT!”

“I know! I gotta get ready for Celestia’s test!” Twilight replied hysterically. “I need my books!”

Applejack sucked in a breath and screamed! “TWILIGHT! QUIT FOOLING AROUND!”

That gave Twilight pause as she slowly turned towards the ground. “Fooling around? Fooling around! I don’t have time to fool around! Celestia summoned me to Canterlot, that can only mean one thing! A TEST! A surprise test! I gotta prepare! I gotta…”

Rarity suddenly clammed Twilight’s mouth closed and approached Twilight. “Darling I don’t think Celestia wants to quiz you, there’s this rather… gruff pony outside waiting to take us all to Canterlot.”

Twilight did a double take. “What?”

It was here VeeVee decided she better get things rolling. The chatter in her coms was getting pretty heated. So, she unstrapped Twilight’s assortments of academic tools. Leading the unicorn and her friends outside where the chopper pilot was patiently waiting. By patient, she meant he already wore a line in the grass.

“Come on! The others are ready on their way back! Let’s move!” He shouts over the propellers. Suddenly the other four choppers fly overhead, suspended by cables was a large back train.

With no further fuss, VeeVee escorts the six mares plus Spike onto the chopper. They chatter, wondering what was going on, while she sits by the door listening to the coms. Things were busy. To an untrained pony, it would all sound like useless babble for the next half hour as they fly for Canterlot.

“What’s going on?” Twilight asked aloud to no one. VeeVee follows her students pointed leg to the direction of Canterlot. Spying plumes of black smog rising from the pristine white city. The others were in shock to as they fly over the train yards. It was packed with hundreds upon hundreds of ponies. But not just any ponies.

Soldiers.

Columns of Equestrian troops lined the train yard, boarding the freight cars. The little purple engine bellowed black smoke, barely pulling the mile-long line of cars. When it was gone, the black train the choppers were carrying was set on the tracks. Its turbine gem engine roared to life once again as it backed onto another line of cars. This one had flat beds on it. VeeVee caught sight of the tanks being moved towards the ramps as they touch down into the chaos.

--break

“All unit’s keep to your squads! Keep it orderly! Move when you're told to move!” Sixes bellows over the crowd of soldiers. Behind him, the choppers carrying the “VIPS” touches down. He shouts at Gloves to takeover loading the cars as he trots over to the landing pad. “VeeVee report to your unit!”

The raspberry colored rinin salutes and quickly disappears in the sea of ponies. Celestia’s student looking strangely concerned as the pink rinin disappeared into the crowd. He looked over the six mares and one dragon. Civilians in a military zone. “Follow me.” He told them, leaving no times for questions as they walk towards the front of the train. “In here.” He points to a tent. Platinum and a team of other mares step out and begin strapping the six down in winter armor. They didn’t have any armor for the dragon.

“You will keep your helmet on at all times. You will not remove your armor. Only use the gem comms, located here, in case of a real emergency. You will listen and do as your told, no if’s what’s or buts!” He said firmly turning around as the Platinum and her team finished adjusting the six’s armor. It was a non-descript model of the new armor. Each mare outfitted to their respected race. The colors were gray. Marking them as non-military according to international laws. Not that the opponent they were heading towards would know that, but it was mainly for their own troops’ benefit. “These two are your escorts.”

With those parting words, Sixes left the frankly baffled mares in the hooves of Goodnight and Sweet Dreams. “This way Lady Twilight, the Princesses are expecting you and your party.”

Twilight’s cheeks were flush at the ‘Lady’ title, though it was technically correct. With her brother’s marriage to Cadence, there was a certain rising of her family’s status. It was something she managed to avoid, what with living outside of Canterlot now, but her parents had been hounded for interviews as of late. Thought her parents didn’t say what they were being asked in their letters.

Following the bat ponies onto the train the group of seven was quiet, even the usual chatterbox that was Pinkie Pie was silence in the face the bleak surrounding the six found themselves thrust into. As the train doors open. Twilight looks over to see the newly uniformed troops hugging their loved ones. Mothers weep, wives waved tearfully, as children cried.

As she passed through the doorway Twilight felt a churning in her gut. This wasn’t what she was expecting. Not even Nightmare Moon or Discord required such a massive force. She was beginning to wonder what role she could possibly play? She’s yet to tell Celestia of her… self-study in combat magic and VeeVee insisted her teaching be kept quiet. She was beginning to lose her eagerness to be thrust into a battle situation like during the invasion.

“Goody…” She whispers to the thestral. “What’s going on?”

Goodnight didn’t answer. He didn’t even turn to look at her. He was different. He looked much bigger than before. Maybe it was just his armor, but he seemed imposing, no he was imposing. How could he have changed so fast?

“In here please,” Goodnight said stepping aside.

Slowly Twilight and company enter the train car that where the Princesses were located. They had to do a double take as all three princesses of the realm stood around a magical hologram of the country all three of them donned in full armor.

Luna wore the same armor from when she arrived during the invasion, her weapons strapped to her side. Celestia wore a similar looking armor to that of Goodnight, but painted gold, Cadence wore the same as Celestia but dyed light blue. The surprises didn’t end there. Her brother, Shining Armor stood beside Cadence in the same armor as Goodnight, looking stoic, he didn’t even turn to greet her.

“Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Cadence, Shining Armor, what’s going on?”

The Princesses continued to murmur. Luna looking mad, while Celestia spoke to her in hushed whispers. Cadence broke away from the table and greeted them. “Sorry, you’ll have to give them a minute. They’re having a disagreement about how to proceed.”

The doors open and the rinin from before, Sixes, Twilight thought his name was, the same pony that had argued with Celestia after the invasion stepped into the car. He gave her a passing glance, rolling his eyes at them before stepping fearlessly between the two sisters.

“The tanks are locked down, we can leave on your command. Have you decided our battle plan?” Sixes asked, the two sisters looking away from each other. He sighs. “Then might I suggest we go with General Cobalt’s plan?”

Luna looked at Twilight and her friends and then Cadence. “I have only one qualm with his plan and it’s Celestia’s insistence that they go with Cadence with the first wave.”

“To clarify, I only suggested Twilight go.”

“Like her friends were just going to sit around, admit it, you want them to go too.”

“Ok, what in the hay is going on?” Applejack spoke up marching to the front of the group. “Yawl looking like your going to war or something.”

The royal sisters look beside themselves and simply nod. Luna steps to face them looking sad. “It is because we are dear Applejack. As of right now over, 3500 GAE troops have been mobilized.”

The train jostled making everypony sway as the engine let out a high-pitched scream as it pulled out of the station. Twilight and co sat down as Celestia and Luna explained the situation.

The Crystal Empire had returned and with it, the Dark Unicorn King of Maredor, King Sombra along with his armies that infest the ruined city. Luna explains the battle of over a thousand years ago and the death and destructions that ensued. To give an even clearer vision she projected the events with her magic like a movie for them all to watch. The last sight of Sombra bringing the Crystal city into the void the last thing they saw.

“We don’t know what Sombra’s been doing these past thousand years or what he’s planning, but it’s safe to assume he wants to finish what he started. I have little doubt he’s been preparing his forces in whatever limbo he dragged them to. As of now, we know nothing of his numbers or fortifications or how powerful he’s become since last.”

“But you beat him before, right? Just do it again!” Rainbow Dash yelled well punching the air. “You two were awesome in that movie! You totally kicked his ass!”

Twilight looked solemnly as the memories till projecting from Luna’s horn replayed the scene of the Royal Sisters fighting Sombra. They were impressive. They were throwing around spells that ponies today wouldn’t have a chance of casting. They didn’t need them. Celestia didn’t need her getting in the way again.

“We can’t say that for sure Rainbow Dash. Sombra was nearly our equal back then and he’s had a thousand years to hone his skills and power. Or worse train up his subordinates.” Celestia frowns as the scene of her wing getting hit with arrow plays. Twilight and her friends’ gasps and she tell Luna to stop projecting. “We could deal with one Sombra, but it is possible in the last thousand years he may have bred an offspring and raised it and if it took after him then we would have a lot of trouble on our hooves.”

That was a creepy and gross possibility, but there had been plenty of mares in Sombra’s own army and those left behind. Celestia wouldn’t put it past the dark king to indulge in his prisoner’s. And given his connections to the mad doctors, Sombra could have been inspired to do some experimenting of his own. He had a full spread of Crystal ponies, Shadow Ponies and changelings to mess with.

“What if Sombra didn’t have a thousand years in this limbo of his? We don’t know how much time has passed for him, he could have frozen himself in time or traveled through dimensions to a place where time moved differently. Or anything like that, for all we know a day might have only passed for him or ten years or any possible space of time.”

Celestia smiles, ruffling Twilight’s mane. “Yes, my faithful student. You are correct that could be the case, but even if that was the case, Sombra still has an army at his disposal. One better trained I’m afraid to. Our military might be technologically superior, but we haven’t finished training even a quarter of our forces on their new equipment and weapons.”

“We don’t even have the Nightmare right now because of repairs and the number of Rinin available to us now is greatly lower than before. If we're going to win this coming battle we’ll need to plan accordingly.” Luna states glaring at Celestia. “Which is why I don’t understand why you want her here!”

Luna’s hoof rested right in front of Twilight’s face. The lavender unicorn had a shiver of dread tremble down her spine. The chance she’s been waiting for, the chance to help Celestia fight battle was here and the most battle-oriented pony doubted her!

“Luna!” Celestia barked.

“I’ll do it!” Twilight said quickly shaking off her fear of Luna’s doubt. She glanced at her brother, who was looking at her with a blank expression. “I’ll gladly fight by your side Princess!”

Celestia rubs her foreleg. “Well, that’s not exactly what we have planned Twilight, you see…”

“You’ll be going in with me,” Cadence interrupts, she stood tall with a commanding presence. She really took Luna’s lessons to heart Celestia observed, feeling proud of her niece. “Well I don’t really want to put you in harm's way Twilight, you have a lot of raw talent and magic that could prove useful.”

Twilight blinks looking between her sister in law and her teacher. “I don’t understand, aren’t you going, Princess?”

Shining Armor spoke up for the first time since they arrived. “Princess Luna and Celestia will stay in the rear with half of our gathered forces. Princess Cadence, under the advisement of Commander Fierce Fury, will take the other half of the army to the Crystal Empire. Whether Sombra had a thousand years or ten days to prepare while he was in limbo the fact remains, he will be prepared for the Princesses. He’s may have even developed weapons or spells that possibly target them specifically. On top of that, he suffered a defeat from them. In the Princesses memories, you can see he was arrogant and taking them lightly, he won’t make that mistake this time. So, when he’s expecting Celestia and Luna and gets Cadence instead he may lower his guard and think of her as a non-threat and possibly toy with her like he did with Celestia and Luna.”

“And then we’ll take him out.” Fierce Fury states entering the room. “We’re almost to the nervous point, your majesties.”

“Thank you, Fury, we’ll be there in a moment.” Celestia turns to Twilight as the train begins to slow. “Twilight Sparkle, my faithful student, as your teacher I cannot ask you undertake this task, but…” Celestia bits her lip. “As your Princess and ruler, I believe you would a valuable resource for this mission, but even so I will not force you to go. The choice is yours. Take a few minutes to think and if you decide to go, then simply stay on the train.”

“Princess I…”

“Don’t answer Twilight,” Celestia said in the doorway. “Please, whatever you decide. I want you to do it of your own will. Not because I told you too.” She exits the war room. Luna following her as they step down from the train onto the grass of the base camp. Rows upon rows of pegasus sat fully equipped and ready to go on a moments notice. In the sky, three wooden airships float. Waiting.

“She’s going to go,” Luna stated. “You know she is. She could never turn down a request from you. At least not a serious one.”

Behind her, the train whistle bellows. Celestia doesn’t bother to turn around, she knew Twilight wouldn’t be on the platform. Instead, she turns to Cobalt and the other officers. She gives the nod and Spitfire breaks from the group, shouting for everypony to take off. Over half of the gathered pegasi take to the sky blocking out the sun as they head into the frozen north.

The thousand-year battle was about to begin again.
Celestia bites her quivering lips, cursing the elements once again. She could have won this war easily, but she didn’t know if the elements would stop her or not. That could get her killed, or Luna killed, or any pony near her killed if she suddenly became powerless. So, thanks to that uncertainty, she now had to send her niece and many others in her place to die.
“Twilight, Cadence, be safe.”

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long wait. This chapter is a bit scatter shot, because of all different things going on and getting characters together. But the next chapter will be much more focused

PreviousChapters Next