• Published 2nd Nov 2016
  • 2,202 Views, 217 Comments

Night Patrol 2: Awakening - Foxgear



A thousand years she was in the moon, now she's back and living in a strange new world. Her friends and comrades gone, nothing but dust in the dirt. With only her sister Luna look towards the future, but the past keeps calling her back.

  • ...
5
 217
 2,202

PreviousChapters Next
The Lover's reunion

Night Patrol 2 Awakening chapter 27
By Foxgear


Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

What is that noise? Where is she? She tried to move, her body stiff, how long has she been laying here? She screamed out, her throat hoarse, only a sad ragged croak escaped her lips. She put her head down, a soft pillow beneath it, it was pleasant, calming, familiar.

Am I in bed? She asked herself, no she told herself, this wasn’t her bed, this bed was too hard, too flat. She was cold also. Her body shivered, she huddled her body tighter, her legs touching. Her left legs touch something, something moist. Her right legs were lighter compared to her left. Something wasn’t right.

Cracking open her eyes, Chrysalis found herself in a room dark with only dim lights to illuminate the horror before her. Her right legs were gone! Frantically she turned on her side, her right-wing pressed beneath her body. A ragged sob escaped her throat as she feels it shredded edges beneath her skin. Tears begin to fall, and it was here she comes to another horrifying realization.

She couldn’t open her right eye!

“NOOOOOOOOO!” She screamed, her vision blurred with tears. The beeping loudens, becoming an ear-splitting rapid tone. Hoof steps come rushing toward her, but she could not tell if they were friend or foe, either way, she didn’t want to be seen in such a state. “Begone! Leave me alone!”

“Queen Chrysalis! Hurry! Restrain her before she reopens her wounds!” A voice shouted. It was perhaps one of her children. Pharynx, loyal Pharynx, her struggles slow as she tried to regain some composure but only one thought stuck in her mind.

“A mirror, bring me a mirror.”

“My Queen, I would advise…”

“Obey my command!” She screamed the world a blur of sounds and blobs. It was all so disorienting. Squeaky wheels come over the chatter; another changeling appeared pushing a full body mirror. She called for them to clean her eye. A gentle hoof and cloth encapsulate her vision, her eye flickered in irritation but for several seconds her vision was clear, and she could see herself. Her body sagged as she moaned in grief, her long blue/green hair falling over her injured eye in the reflection of her battered form. Her right legs wrapped in bloody bandages cut above the knee, several big scars mar her right side up to her thigh and her shoulder. One long scar ran up her neck, disappearing underneath her hair, but it was certain the scar covered her eye too. “Leave me.”

“But my Queen…”

“Leave me!” She screamed again and slowly the changeling's file out of the room. Once she was sure she was alone, she began to weep.

“My Kaiserin.”

She froze at the deep bass tone behind her, Kaiser Hades, her ally, her love was behind her. She could not bear for him to see her like this. “Please leave me. I am no use to you now, crippled and deformed. I am no use to you as a warrior or a lover.”

He didn’t speak. Chrysalis’s heart wrenched in pain, but then Hade’s steps drew closer, his neck fell atop hers, warm and comforting. He began to kiss her cheek, slowly working his way down her jaw line until he found her lips. He captured her with the same force and passion as before and even more, he didn’t stop till he left her breathless and on the brink of fainting.

“I will never toss you away, my love. Let me take you to our bed. But first, let me show you something.” He took her upon his back, easily carrying her weight. “Hold tightly now.”

She squeezed his back with her legs, digging hard with her stubs to maintain her balance if she hurt him he didn’t show it. He didn’t even grunt as he walked toward the darkness ahead.

“Where are we?”

“My lab. Pharynx and the other survivors were quick to find my ship while on my way to Equestria. They explained what happened and we turned around. I made sure you had the best medical equipment available. Had we been able to find your lovely legs we might have been able to reattach them.” Hades told her, sounding very displeased. “No matter, I have a gift for you.”

“I will not be wearing those horrid prosthetics, Hades.” He chuckled as if she’d just told a joke.

“I thought you might feel that way, so I’ve been preparing something different.” They exit the darkness into a well-lit lab, filled with a range of tubes and other material, but the eye-catcher was right before her. A large container, more significant than a pony, inside was a body in the midst of growing. It’s body pink and black, the wings a strange hybrid of insectoid and Pegasus, the horn long and crooked like hers, the mane and tail a mix of her hair color and that of a certain pink princess.

“Is that… what? How? With only that silly feather!” Hades nuzzled her neck, soothing her overtaxed brain. A scientist she was not. But even she knew what this would mean for her.

“Yes, my love, a new body made from your perfect form and the DNA of an alicorn. So generously donated by our mutual friend. I know you may not feel… open to having a body with her DNA but think of the irony for when you make your glorious return.”

A new body, made from alicorn DNA, how beautiful. She slid her neck against her lover nuzzling it with affection. “Your so sweet, my love. Tell me, when can I transfer to it?”

“Not for a little while longer I’m afraid, it’s still developing, but I think I know of a good way to pass the time.” He kissed her lips again, his love recharging her fully. “I’ll enjoy craving my love into every carious of your beautiful form until it’s ready.”

She smirked kissing him this time, “Only if you find a more suitable bed.”


“Isn’t a lovely day, Shining?” Cadence asked as they enter Canterlot in their carriage. Honestly, it was a little embarrassing to be returning from their honeymoon while repairs were still going on. When ponies began to notice their cart and them inside, they began to flock and cheer. Celestia’s training for this kind of situation was smile and wave. And the ploy seemed to work, for which she was very thankful.

“Not as lovely as you dear,” Shining replied after she sat back down. Her leg tired and her cheeks sore for smiling and waving for ten blocks. Smiling and waving was not as easy as her aunt made it seem. A giggle escaped her lips as she imagined Celestia doing a workout routine of smiling and waving.

“Thank you, your handsome too,” She pecked him on the cheek, smiling brightly, but as they rode along the silence began to take its toll. Shining stared gloomily out the carriage window his gaze fixed on the damaged buildings and the lives lost defending them, the lives of his comrades and friends. It had been the sour point of their entire honeymoon. They could only keep their minds off the mess they left behind for so long before the reality of what happened crashed on them. “You did the best you could.” She told her husband for probably the thousandth time. Like every time before it seems to have little effect on his mood especially now that they were home. “Come on; now, a Prince mustn’t be caught frowning in public. You’ll make ponies worry.”

“I’m not a prince, Cadence. I’m a soldier.”

She shook her head. They’d had this conversation too. Like it or not Shining Armor would have to get used to his new Prince moniker. She had a feeling it was mainly Blueblood’s fault he didn’t like the title. Not that she blamed him.

Shining leaned back in his seat, looking tired. “I wonder if they found a pony to replace Spears yet. I’m sure the others must be in a tizzy without me around.” He laughed, it was nice to hear him laugh, but the tingling in her gut left her uneasy about the future as they enter the castle gates. Standing there to greet them was Luna!

“Auntie Luna!” Cadence shouted with glee as she jumped out of the carriage before it could even stop. She all but tackled the lunar princess nuzzling her affectionally.

Luna woofed, catching the younger princess and embracing her. “It’s good to see you too, Cadence. I trust your honeymoon was enjoyable? I assume you relieved a lot of stress?”

A healthy blush spread across Cadence’s cheeks as she recounts her and Shining’s… activities. “Um, yes! Very much, please don’t go into my dreams!”

Luna chuckled bopping her on the nose. “I know what a newlywed stallion and mare do niece. Trust me; I’ve been there before. Now, come, come. I’m sorry to throw this on you so soon, but we need you for several important matters happening right now.”

“Oh, um yes! Shining and I will be right there!” Luna’s form suddenly became ridged. “Um… did I say something wrong?”

Luna turned to her, her eyes shifting toward Shining Armor. “No, but it would be best if Shining Armor stayed… elsewhere. For the time being. Celestia and I are in the middle of reorganizing things and we need you to be the deciding vote on certain matters.”

The noticeable lack of Captain when addressing Shining Armor was apparent. But that was normal right? Shining was a Prince now, but it still made her uneasy as she looks back at her husband’s troubled face.

“Right, no problem. I’ll meet up with you later Shining!” Cadence shouted following Luna into the castle. “So, what do I…” a stack of papers hit her nose before she could finish. She read through them while Luna talked.

“These are several Candidates Celestia, and I have chosen to look at to replace captain Spears and other officers tragically killed in the invasion. Celestia and I are in a bit of gridlock at the moment. Frankly, we’ve been running around night and day, so we’ve had to change the schedule a bit so we’re both awake in the day so we can sign and approve things faster. You will be the swing vote.”

“Ok,” She replied, her nerves getting the better of her as the papers begin to shake in her magic. “But what input can I give? I don’t know anything about military things like you and Celestia do. I don’t think I’ll be of any help.”

Luna turned quickly and bopped her on the nose. “I told you, don’t try to be Celestia or me for that matter, be you. You have insights that we don’t.”

“Like what?”

“For one, you’re a pony of this age. Celestia and I are bit locked in our ways; you can look at things in a more… modern view. Your ability to read ponies will be helpful too.”

“But you two are still…(BOP!)…” Cadence rubbed her noise as Luna glared, she was in teacher mode it seemed. “Right, I’ll do my best.”

“Good girl, and also,” Luna’s cheek turned flush. “I have some matters I wish to speak privately with you, later.”

Cadence blinked, unsure what to say. Does Luna want her advice? “Um… ok, that’s fine.”

“Good, good, a sensitive matter has been plaguing me, and I’m short of ponies I can… vent to. But enough of that, let us be on to business!” Luna opened the double doors leading into a room where Celestia and several others were already waiting. Luna took her seat next to Celestia, while she took the chair next to Luna. A pink chair with gold trim and a blue heart at the top. It was gaudy, but it matched her theme, or so the royal decorator said.

Looking around the room at the other ponies present Cadence recognized Captain Spitfire right off the bat. The Wonderbolt in top formal military garb today, her mirrored shades placed on the desk that encircled the room in a half moon shape. Down below was an open space with a podium. Craning her neck Cadence noticed two more chairs on either side of Spitfire, each bearing a mark. One was the Unicorn corps and the other the earth corps, both empty. Why wasn’t Shining invited to this meeting?

There were more ponies in the room an elderly pony, scruffy looking and smoking a pipe on the far end, on the table laid his hat, bearing the mark of a Unicorn skull with wings. The same mark the ponies that liberated the city wore. Luna’s Night Patrol. Beside him were two more ponies, both in formal wear and baring the same emblem. She remembered them from the attack, Commander Sixes, and Commander Fierce Fury.

“Now that all relevant parties are here let us proceed.” The elderly pony spoke, his voice rough. “An introduction for the two young mares and a formal introduction for both Princess Luna and Cadence. I am Admiral Hunter McGather. A pleasure.”

“Same here,” Cadence replied, Luna and Spitfire, nod as they pour over their notes. Cadence was already feeling lost as Time Keeper entered the room and began passing out more files to each of them.

“Where is Topaz Slicer?” Luna asked, barely looking up from her papers. “I thought he was supposed to return today with his report.”

Admiral Hunter tapped his papers, clearing his throat as he speaks, “Commander Topaz will be late, he said to start without him, stating we had enough ponies to judge the candidates with or without his input. Let us start with the selection, our first candidate for Captain of the Earth pony Corps, Sergeant Castel Bridge of Whinnyapolis.”

Cadence craned her neck looking down as a brown and white pony entered the floor below. She noticed a thin piece of glass in her view.

“It’s a one-way mirror,” Luna whispered. “It’s so he can’t see who votes what.”

“Isn’t that unnerving though?” She asked. “Being interviewed by a bunch of faceless ponies?”

“If this gets to him he doesn’t deserve the job,” Spitfire scoffed, not even looking away from her files. “Not a bad record, though.” She mumbled.

Cadence looked down at the files before her. Castel Bridge’s entire life was printed out before her. His age, every school he attended, his parents, his wife, his kids, his notes from the academy. Everything! It was thorough and creepy.

“State your name for the record.” Timekeeper dully said through a speaker, projecting his voice down below. It was almost like a trial.

“Castel Bridge,” Castel replied.

“The questioning will proceed now, please answer thoroughly.” Time Keeper stated a microphone placed before each of them with a green and red light. Currently, the red light was on, indicating they muted. “The first proctor will speak now.”

The first proctor was, of course, Celestia. When she spoke into the microphone, her voice came out slightly distorted, like somepony else was talking. However, judging from the look on Castel’s face he could tell it was Celestia by her speech patterns and terms. Very perceptive. Or Celestia wasn’t good at acting.

(Stop flaking out and pay attention! What kind of questions is she asking?) Cadence berated herself. Already missing Celestia’s entire statement as the sun princess hit the mute button, allowing for Luna to speak.

Luna’s questions were fairly obvious, she drilled Castel about defensive positions, protocols, what he would do differently for the Earth corps for the next attack. She also asked what he would do if he assigned to Captain of the Guard. A traditionally Unicorn role. It was almost a fact that the unicorn commander was also the captain of the entire EUP with some diverging cases here and there.

Overall Luna’s conversation dragged on for at least half an hour. In the corner of her eye Cadence noticed the three ponies from Night Patrol whispering amongst themselves. At several points, Luna would look to them, as if asking a question without asking, and then they would nod or shake their heads. She did eventually realize that the three were probably voting Yay or neigh on Castel’s answers. It was amazing to watch the four speak without uttering a single word though she did wonder why. The room was sound proof was it not? Or could Luna’s microphone pick up noises from that far away?

“Cadence.”

“Uh?” She whipped her head around, Luna staring at her. Luna’s microphone set to mute. “Oh, ah, is it my turn?” Luna nodded. “Ok, ok, ok… um…” She tapped her papers, chewing on her lip as she quickly read over Castel file again, her mind blank, she couldn’t think of anything to ask him!

“It’s ok if you don’t have anything to say Cadence,” Celestia said.
Cadence’s ears flop down, feeling useless and in the way. Maybe she should pass. A tap on the shoulder got her attention, Luna leaned over smiling gently and whispered into her ear.
“Just do your best, focus on your talent.” Was the Lunar Princess’s advice Cadence nodded smiling as she focused on one particular part of Castel’s files. She hit the green light.
“Sergeant Castel, in your file you are reported to be married and have two foals? Correct?”
Castel looked confused by the question, but nods. “Yes, that is correct. I have two foals, one colt, one filly. Ages 10 and 8. My wife and I have been together for twelve years.”
She felt Celestia, and the Patrollers eyes fall on her, probably wondering what the hell she was doing, Luna however only smiled, letting her continue to either be brilliant or make an ass of herself.
“Right, and you have remained station in Whinnyapolis for the duration of your marriage? For over twelve years? Your work schedule suggests that you are at home regularly, correct?”

“Yes, the hours are stable most of the time,” Castel replied, looking thoroughly confused. And he wasn’t the only one. Everypony was looking at her, waiting to see where she was going with this.

Cadence cleared her throat, ready to pin things down, “When deciding to accept this promotion, did you discuss the effects it would have on your family with your wife? Are you planning to move your young children across the country or have them stay in Whinnyapolis where they have friends and visit on the few weekends you have off? Which I remind you, are very few, less than ten in the entire year regularly. That’s quite the commute.”

Castel stiffened, seems he hadn’t considered that. “As tough as it would be, my family will understand. I am a patriot, I love my country, and if I am worthy of this position, I shall take it for the betterment of all.”

“Ten and eight are very young ages for kids to be away from their father not to mention your wife. That is if you decide to leave your family in Whinnyapolis.”

“Changing cities isn’t easy either,” Castel countered. “And even if they move here with me, I’ll still be swamped. Busier then when I worked at the base in Whinnyapolis. But, if you pardon my asking, how is this relevant?”

She had to nail this less she thought a sentimental idiot. “I ask because it is relevant. You are a patriot, yes. That is clear in your file. You are also a father. While you are more then likely qualified for this job, I must ask if you're prepared to sacrifice your family for it. To have your relationship with your wife strained as you place them lower on your priority list. Your children to become jaded and anti-statists because you weren’t there during their adolescence, which some say is the most important development period for children. So, I am asking, are you prepared to give up your family life and devote all your time to the position of Commander of the Earth pony corps? If not, then I’d encourage you to think before accepting the position.” Cadence hit the mute button, letting out a deep sigh as the tension left her body. Both Luna and Celestia were looking pleased with her, and even the three patrollers seemed impressed.

“You did good, Cadence,” Luna said patting her on the shoulder.

Down below Castel looked disturbed and thoughtful. “If it’s ok with the council. May I have more time to consider this opportunity? There are some important matters I have yet to speak about with my spouse.”

Celestia tapped her green button, “Of course, it’ll be a few days before our final choice is selected. Is that all the questions?” Everypony nodded. “No further questions, have a good day Sergeant Bridge.”

“Thank you, ma’am.”

Celestia and Luna began to chat fervently, while Time Keeper went to call the next candidate. Cadence simply remained where she sat, feeling a weight drop on her, so this is what’s like to make life-altering decisions that affect more than just her. The burden of being in charge. Hopefully, she didn’t scare off Castel by bringing up the potential problems the change in dynamic would have on his family. But it was a serious issue. She couldn’t remember how many military couples she’s seen break up because of things like this. Or how many fathers are disconnected from their children because they were stationed far away. She understood the sacrifice the stallions were making, but maybe there was a line to draw with patriotism or perhaps she was stupid.

“Don’t get so worked up about it,” Spitfire said suddenly. Again, not looking up from her papers. She seemed to be sorting them in some way. “Castel’s performance would have suffered if his home life became too unstable. That was good for him.”

“But what if he was the right candidate and doesn’t take the position now?”

“There are others, some better than others. Sometimes you have to go other, simple as that.”

“Announcing the second candidate.”

“Keep working your angle. You're doing fine, Princess.” Spitfire said giving a wink.

Sitting up Cadence flipped her notes as Celestia begins her statements.

Things went much smoother this time. Celestia did her job, Luna did hers, and she did hers. Analyzing and addressing what effects a change such as this taking a new position could have on the candidate's lives and families. It seemed to suit her.

That said she had to make the case against the single candidates too. No foal or intentions to have foals was lack of investment in the future. Granting personal motivations varied but she felt the need to bring it up. Of the five earth pony candidates, Castel still stood out as the most decorated and favorite amongst the group.

But now came the part she’s been dreading the unicorn candidates. She looked at the list each one had an L or a C to indicate which princess favored them. Celestia favored those from noble birth, while Luna favored those from a variety of backgrounds. It worried her that Shining Armor had neither by his name and that he was the last candidate.

“Candidate six for the position of Unicorn Commander, Scarlet kiteshield.”

Scarlet Kiteshield, age 48, was a rather fierce looking mare, with a dirty blond mane and a reddish colored coat. From her file she served as commander of the Equestrian outpost 1339, it was between the Everfree and the wastelands both monster-infested and five times more dangerous than any other outpost. Scarlet had requested a station there. All the scars marring her body were from her time spent fighting every monster Equestria had to offer. To further her pedigree, she was the former Commander of the Unicorn corps before Shining Armor. She was Luna’s top pick.

Celestia began as was routine by now, “Commander Scarlet, how nice to see you again, let’s begin with why you want this position. Your record is impressive, your family’s magical talents are noteworthy, and this is your first visit to Canterlot since you stepped down as Captain of the Guard three years ago. You’ve refused several promotions since that time. What changed your mind so suddenly?”

“I stayed on the frontier because I found it to be homely and in my element. Away from all the politics of Canterlot. I did not want to leave, nor thought I had too. I thought I left the guards in good hooves with Shining Armor, but…” Scarlet paused, her mood shifting as she ground her teeth together with clear vitriol. “I see now I let weaklings and fools take positions they should not have had. I wish to correct this and bring the lessons I learned in the harshest environments our country has to offer here to the softest part.”

Cadence’s stomach turned at Scarlet’s words, and her heart broke as she imagined Shining Armor’s reaction to his former commander’s gripes. There was little doubt they would wound him traumatically.

Scarlet composed herself, reigning her temper. “Of course, I’ll bend the knee to any pony you choose over me. My leader’s judgment is much sharper than my own. If not made clear by the failure I left you. My apologies for that.”
Another harsh dig at Shining. It was making her mad, but Cadence bit her lip, less she says something she regrets. Though the look on Luna’s face wasn’t really helping. It was apparent Scarlet was Luna’s type of soldier, hence why the moon princess nominated her. The nods and whispers from the observing Night Patrollers only cemented Scarlet’s position. She was of a similar mind to them, and they liked that.

“Your words are noted and recorded,” Celestia said, she hits the mute on her mike. “Any further questions, Luna, Cadence?”

“None here,” Luna smirked. Clearly, she was happy with her choice of Scarlet.

Celestia rolls her eyes, “I assumed so, how about you Cadence?”
Reading the scarred mare’s file Cadence surmised there wasn’t much she could do with this choice. Scarlet was nearly fifty, her children were adults, and her grandchildren were in their late teens. She had the experience, her husband was dead, she only saw her children and grandchildren on holidays because of where she’s based. Her becoming the Commander of the Unicorn Corp or Captain of the Guard would be a perfect fit for her lifestyle.

“None,” Cadence said in defeat. Shining’s chances of keeping his job were slim now.

“Alright then,” Celestia hit the green button. “Thank you for your time, Scarlet, we’ll get back to you later.”

“Thank you, your majesties.” Scarlet bowed and left the interview room.

They all flip their papers, the next Candidate coming after Scarlet, Cobalt Blaze, age 45, Scarlet’s former sub commander, and Celestia’s top pick. He was a blue unicorn, both in mane and coat. His hair an exotic blend of three different shades of blue that made his hair look like flames. Not too dissimilar from Spitfire’s hair really. He was a very distant relative of the Blueblood family. Empathist on very.

“Commander Cobalt, I trust you know why you’re here?” Celestia said beginning the interviews again.

“I am aware, if you are in need of my skills and service then simply put me where you need me. I have plenty of free time these days on my hooves. I wouldn’t mind having a bit of focus.”

Luna hit her green button, butting into Celestia’s time. “You're very confident in your skills then? Then please tell us, what would you do to prevent the next invasion?”

Cobalt coughed, standing up straight. “I’m afraid no amount of skill or intelligence on my end could stop that, but I have a few ideas that could leave us better prepared. In my journeys abroad, I studied with the Zebra’s, they have a method to see through changeling disguises. Incorporating that into our defenses would be paramount or at best a step in the right direction. Of course, a complete overall of our tactics and protocol is in order too. And we’ll have to plan for a variety of attacks. But I would assume those that wish our destruction would learn from the changeling's defeat and use that to their advantage.”

“Please elaborate.” Luna urged, looking rather pleased with Cobalt’s answer so far.

“Right, as it was clearly demonstrated, the changelings are perfect for infiltrating, but their natural magic is quite weak, and without the swarm, a single changeling is weak and easily defeated. They had no siege weapons or any advanced weapons that could help them keep the city because they had to sneak in. A better tactician would have used the changelings spartanly, having them expose our weaknesses to more properly equip forces to take advantages of. That is my view at least.” Cobalt finished.

Luna leaned back, whistling and looking impressed. She hits the mute button. “I like him too.”

“I thought you might,” Smirked Celestia. “How about you Cadence?”

“I have nothing to say,” She said bitterly. Cobalt was in the same boat as Scarlet, minus the dead spouse, but his family life was squared away. There wasn’t much for her to object or bring up that was relevant.

“Thank you for your time Cobalt, we’ll summon you in a day or two with our decision.”

“I’ll take my leave then,” He bowed.

For several minutes the interviewer’s room was quiet. Everypony shuffling their papers as they waited for the next candidates to arrive. Cadence squints at the time schedule. This was actually a break! Maids entered the room, pushing carts of coffee, tea, water, and several kinds of treats. She asked for coffee with a strawberry creamer and two pieces of toffee.

Beside her, Luna took out her personal mug, twice the size of the standard mug, and took a full cup of coffee for herself and a sandwich. Celestia had four pieces of cake and tea. The sun Princess not looking the least bit embarrassed as every other pony in the room shook their head at her sweet tooth.

“Honestly, could you not have curved your sweet tooth in the slightest these past thousand years? Your teeth are going to rot out like last time.” Luna grumbled guzzling down half of her cup and ordering a refill.

Celestia ignored Luna’s comments, eating her second piece of cake in defiance of her sister’s gripes with her diet. Her devilish smirk coming out as she eyes Luna’s coffee cub. “I assume you're not planning on sleeping again? That cup is worth at least four of mine.”

Luna hugged the giant mug close. “Take it from me, if you dare to try.”

Turning away from the royal sisters, Cadence observed Captain Spitfire eating her own lunch. Coffee and some sort of berries. Intrigued she leaned over, the yellow pegasus eyeing her.

“Want to try one?” She presented one of the berries to her. Cadence nodded, accepting the offered treat and popping it into her mouth. Only after she did this Spitfire’s lips split into a mocking smirk. Cadence began to feel very hot, her coat started to sweat, and her tongue was on fire! It was like she just bitten into a hot pepper! But the texture and juiciness of the snack suggested it was a fruit! Oh God’s her tongue was getting hotter!

“What is this?” Cadence croaked quietly, her throat hoarse as tears fell down her cheeks. How hot was this thing!

“A pepper popper cherry,” Spitfire explained popping one of the fruits into her mouth. She was completely unaffected. “They’re a spicy fruit. I used to fly down from Cloudsdale just to buy them. They pack a light kick on the first try.”

(Light kick? I feel like I just drank a bottle of Tabasco!) Cadence moaned laying her head on the table. She signaled for the maids, who were passing out gems to the Night Patrollers. A maid trotted over, and she meekly asked for water, her tongue so swollen from the popper cherry that it hurt to talk. Taking the glass of ice water Cadence gulped the entire drink down, and then another, and on the third glass, the heat subsided.

Spitfire, the Night Patrollers, and her aunts let out a good-hearted chuckle at her expense. As she lays her head on the table, her tongue ungracefully rolling out of her mouth. “I take it she pulled the same prank on you all?”

“Prank?” Spitfire said a gasp and full of ham as she feigned hurt. “Is that how you see my generous offer to share my treats from home?” Cadence only glared, not buying it. Spitfire laughed it off. “Alright, you got me. Your reaction was much funnier than those guys over there.” The Captain pointed disappointedly at the two rinin, who were grinning like idiots.

Fierce Fury smirked and shrugged, “Sorry luv, when your stomach is fireproof, spicy foods don’t have much effect.” Fury laughed out loud. “Still, it was fun freaking out that recruit standing beside her! Shot flames right after I ate the thing, the look on their face was priceless, right Sixes?”

The ashen Rinin chuckled softly, “Yeah, it was a good laugh.” He tapped his papers against the desk, looking at the clock. “If Princess Pink has regained her composure, I suppose we would move onto the next interview.”

Both Luna and Celestia looked up at the clock as well, Cadence followed suit too, her eyes nearly bugging out of their sockets at the time. “It’s 6:00 pm!”

“Yes, it is getting rather late in the day. Let us finish the last three candidates promptly.” Celestia said, “Oh wait, no. Time Keeper am I reading this right?”

The royal scheduler leaned over the Princess’s leg, reading her schedule, and then his own. Cadence copied the movement with everypony else. “Promotions?”

“Yes,” Luna buts in, breaking the peace. “There are two very talented ponies that I’ve had my eye on and with the testimony and recommendation of Captain Spitfire. I see no reason not to put their talents to better use rather than have them stand in an empty hall.”

The double doors below opened, and two ponies entered side by side, one stallion, one mare, both in uniform dress and both looking somewhat frightened at the moment. They were both bat ponies. Cadence read their names from the list.

“Presenting Private Goodnight and Private Sweet Dreams of the Night Guard,” Time Keeper announced over the intercom. The one-way mirror suddenly changed, becoming two way revealing their faces to the two bat ponies. Luna looked down at the two with pride. As a third pony enters the room below, carrying two medals. Two Pink heart.

“For your honor and decoration in battle, I Princess Luna of Equestria, ruler of the Night and Keeper of Dreams, do offer you this medal in recognition of your feats.” The medals are pinned to the two stunned thestrals. “As such, Private Goodnight, Private Sweet Dreams, you two are at this moment promoted too…”

“SEAL: Commandos,” Celestia finished. The two Thestrals jaws literary drop to the floor, their golden eyes wide and blank as the two poked the other to make sure they weren’t dreaming.

Sweet Dreams fangs popped down below her lips, her facing bursting with excitement! “Oh, my sweet Celestia and Luna! We’re Commandos! Oh, my gods, we’re commandos! Did you hear that Goody! DID YOU!” She screamed shaking the Thestral Stallion, her face the dictionary description of drop dead happy. It was also very amusing to those watching.

“Ah hum, may we finish?” Celestia asked as they all giggle at the mare’s antics. Sweet Dream froze in place, awkwardly hugging Goodnight’s neck. Silently she released her hold and moved to the stallion’s side once again. Her gray coat hot pink in embarrassment.

“Right, sorry, I was just expressing my gratitude for this opportunity.”

Celestia smiled, “Of course. Now to elaborate, and probably should have started with this. You are nominated to undergo Commando training, in the newly revised training regimen. You two, Goodnight, Sweet Dreams, will be the first to partake in this training. The challenge will be hard, but if you are up for it and want to serve a more critical role in your country, then please state so. Mind you, this is your choice to take this opportunity.”

Cadence leaned forward as the two bat ponies look at the other, having a silent conversation just between themselves. They smile, nod, and step forward. Goodnight looked up at them with pride and fire in his eyes.

“Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, we would be honored. We won’t let you down.” They bow, everypony clapping their hooves for the duo. Sixes flew down offering his claw to the two, they shake, the bat ponies looking a bit uneased by the smile the ashen Rinin wore.

“I look forward to facilitating your training.” He grinned, showing off his entire mouth of fanged teeth.

“Um… thanks?” Goodnight replied leaning away from the rinin. Cadence covered up a giggle as it appeared the thestral might be having second thoughts.

Celestia knocked her hoof against the table, calling for order. Sixes flew back up to his seat, while Goodnight and Sweet Dreams bow and take their leave. The one-way mirror is replaced, and the mood becomes somber as Celestia warily eyes her. As does Luna. Cadence looked at the schedule. They were at the end. The next pony would be Shining Armor.

“Perhaps you should sit this one out Cadence, this will be rather personal for you,” Celestia advised her. She looked to Luna, who was glaring at Celestia.

“She’s not a child. Besides, this matter concerns her as much as him. She can’t escape it.” Luna retorted Celestia’s nose scrunching in displeasure.

“I’ll be fine,” She confirmed before any harsh words could be uttered between the two sisters. “Let's just get this over with. I knew this was coming.”

“Very well, the next and final interviewee, Prince Shining Armor.” Announced Celestia, already Cadence’s fears were beginning to surface. Everypony else was ‘candidate,’ and they were using his new title over his Captain title. It was with those words that the dread she had been shying away from became a reality as she looked over the candidate sheet again.

Shining Armor had neither Celestia’s or Luna’s mark. He had no favorability, he wasn’t even being considered, he was being read out of his position. The doors swing open, Shining Armor entered in his purple armor, looking like the Captain of the Royal guard he was. Cadence looked around at the gathered ponies. Their reactions varied.

Celestia looked sadden, perhaps feeling guilty for what was to come. All the blame for the failure of the guard during the attack was probably going to be put on Shining. Next was Luna, she seemed indifferent to the Captain's plight, which Cadence could understand. She doubts Luna and Shining have had more than half a conversation and he’d hadn’t had a chance to show his worth to the lunar princess. Luna did look her way through with a bit of sympathy for the fate of her husband. Captain Spitfire was next, her expression unreadable. Cadence couldn’t tell if the pegasus felt sorry, pity, or angry at her husband. Perhaps it was a mix of all three. Or maybe it was towards herself. Despite the Pegasus officers coming out mostly intact, they didn’t win the day either.

Finally, was the Night Patrollers. Their faces said this was nothing unexpected to them. Though it did fill Cadence with a bit of contempt, it was as though they thought Shining could have only failed, and this was merely prophecy come true. It made her want to lash out, but it would only hurt Shining’s position. He had to do this himself. If he didn’t, and she helped in any way, then all the rumors he’s been fighting against him being handed positions would be considered valid by the rest of the guard. And that would hurt him more than anything.

Pressing the green button, Celestia addressed the newly titled Prince. “Shining Armor, I trust you have an idea as to what this is about?” The former captain nodded. “Then I’ll be frank. While I personally and others on this board, do not hold you accountable for your actions under the Queen Changeling’s control. Such as aiding in her escape. I’m afraid there are actions not under her influence that must be addressed.”

“Such as?” Shining calmly asked through the tick of his lips revealed a crack in his facade. “I believe I took the appropriate actions with the information I had.”

The speaker cuts out, Cadence looked to Celestia to see her chest fallen. The sun Princess looked to Luna and then to her. “So, who wants to tell him?”

“I will take the burden,” Luna said promptly, no hesitation as she pressed her speaker button. Cadence grimaced, knowing they were about to get the moon Princess’s unfiltered option.

“Let’s start with the fact you didn’t step aside from security for YOUR wedding. You were in a chaotic time of your life, you were stressed, overworked, but most importantly, too close. You brought in many more troops than required. Even your own fiancé, now your wife, addressed concerns of this. Yet, when you hear of an unverified threat, you double down, unknowingly playing into the enemy’s hooves. Unknowing, yes, but had you left things to a less personally involved pony, at least some of the disaster could have been minimized.”

Shining Armor stood up straight, his ears back, his lips are taut with restrained anger. “Please, explain what would have been different, if not for my involvement.”

“For starters, according to what numbers we can find. At least three-quarters of the last five battalions you reassigned to the city for the wedding were changelings. We spoke with the garrisons that you supposedly sent transfer requests too, and the numbers match. You let almost the entire enemy army in without a fight. You might as well have opened the gates, sorry, you did open the gates for them. Had these overwhelming numbers not been inside the castle the defenders might not have been overwhelmed so quickly. But I digress, my real issue isn’t that you walked straight into the enemy’s trap, but the fact you were willing to pull in half. I repeat HALF of the Equestrian Army, for YOUR wedding! Did the rest of the nation ever cross your mind? Did you ever think what could have happened by spreading our forces out so thin?”

“Equestria’s defense is all I think about! I’ve given years devoting myself to national security. My mastery of shield magics a statement to that.”

Cadence sank into her chair as Luna fiercely ground her jaw. “Yes, your shield magic is impressive. So impressive that no pony could break it! With you under the Queen’s sway, you trapped everypony inside the city. Leading to hundreds of thousands of deaths! Corpses of the outer wall guards were found, runners who were supposed to go and warn the nearby cities were all killed because the shield wouldn’t open without your permission!”

Shining’s lips moved, but no words come from his mouth. He bowed his head. “I know I screwed up. I let my emotions get the better of me when I should have stepped back to look at things with a more level head, but I didn’t. I can regret that for the rest of my life, but…” Shining Armor raised his head. “I can’t make up for my mistakes if I don’t have opportunities to reconcile them. I just ask for the chance to prove my true worth!”

Luna sighed, falling ungracefully back in her chair, the green light still on as she covered her face and speaks. “You young fool. Your opportunity came and passed. We cannot bet any more lives just to satisfy your ego. In the motion of retaining Shining Armor as Captain of the Guard or Commander of the Unicorn corps, I vote no.” Luna turned off her microphone.

“I’m afraid I’m inclined to agree,” Celestia said, though without her microphone on, so the statement was unofficial. “He brings back too much baggage. I had thought the public would want a familiar face, but Shining Armor wouldn’t bring them peace. Even if half of what happened wasn’t his fault, he'd still be stuck with the blame. However…” The word caused Cadence’s ears to perk up. “I don’t like just disregarding him so flippantly. I vote he at least be allowed to compete in the trials with the others. If for nothing else but to give him closure.”

“So, you plan to stroke his ego, but pull the carrot away from anyway?” Luna scuffed. “What kind of lesson is that?”

“One I learned from you dear sister,” Celestia replied smiling, much to Luna’s surprise. “Shining Armor is still useful, he just needs to be in a role that suits him better. Don’t you agree?”

Luna tapped her chin, “Hmm… I can’t say I see what your intentions are, but your madness has proven useful in the past. Yet my vote will not be swayed. The deciding factor will be on your shoulders, Cadence.”

She closed her eyes as all eyes fall on her, waiting for her vote. Did she look at this as a wife or a Princess? That was obvious. She had to see with the eyes of a Princess. She stared down at her beloved and stripped away all emotions of him. Trying to see the potential Celestia saw. Shining Armor couldn’t be Captain of the Guard anymore, that much was clear, if not for his rising to Princehood, but for the other reasons listed. So what role could he take on? She thought of the bat ponies. Was Celestia hinting that Shining be moved to the Commandos? For him to take a more frontline role where his shield magic could be put to use? The thought made her stomach queasy. That would put him in a lot more danger.

(Stop it, look at him as if he were just another stallion.) Cadence took a breath and opened her eyes.

“Let him prove himself. At the very least, he deserves that much.”

Celestia pressed her green button. “The vote is 2 to 1. Prince Shining Armor, report to the northern training grounds in two days with the other candidates. A mock battle shall determine everyponies placement. You are dismissed.”

Shining Armor exits the interview room, and everypony begins to pack up. Cadence trotted after Celestia running beside the sun princess down the hall. “Thank you for giving Shining this chance, Auntie. I know I'm selfish in this matter, but well…”

“You don’t have to say anything, I was in a similar position a long time ago. However, I would advise you do not thank me. The chance for Shining to win his position back is slim to none.”

“What? Why? It’s only a mock battle against the other candidates, right?”

“Yes, but,” Luna interrupted. “The candidates won’t be fighting against each other.”

“Then who…” Cadence turned her head as the three Night Patrollers exit the room behind them. Realization hitting her like a brick to the face. “Oh no… you can’t be serious!”

“I’m afraid the time of gentle hooves is over,” Celestia lamented. “Times have been good, perhaps too good for too long.” The Sun Princess silks down the hallway, leaving her and Luna with those words.

Cadence pondered her aunts’ words as the three Night Patrollers pass by. They give a quick nod and left. Now it was only her and Luna, the moon Princess looked somewhat nervous too. Why? Then she remembered, Luna wanted to talk to her privately! She nearly forgot! She really wanted to go check on Shining Armor, but maybe that was best left for later.

“So, um… what did you want to talk about?” Cadence asked breaking the silence.

“Tis a private matter we wish to discuss with you. A very private matter indeed.”

And Luna was using the royal we and speaking old timely. Great. Cadence offered a smile as she followed Luna to the Lunar tower. Before the guards could offer a salute, Luna dismissed them. In a huff, Luna entered her royal suit, her horn lit with magic casting a barrier around the room to keep out all unwanted eyes and ears. Flopping down on the fluffy feather chair, Luna offered her the adjacent seat.

“So, what’s wrong?” Cadence attentively asked. Kind of wishing there was some other pony Luna was comfortable talking to. On the one hoof, this was a fantastic honor, and it warmed her heart that Luna trusted her so much only after a few weeks of really knowing each other and dare she say becoming true friends and family. On the other hoof, if this problem was so bad that Luna didn’t want to talk to Spitfire… well. Hopefully, she can be of some help.

Luna took a breath, floating over a teapot and cups. She doesn’t speak while she prepared the brew. It was unnerving. Another oddity in Luna today, Luna wasn’t a tea drinker. Not only that but the tea was lavender, known for relieving anxiety and stress. The fact Luna had it in her room was worrying.

“Does it taste good? I’m not very skilled at brewing tea, not like my sister is I’m afraid. But I was desperate for something to help.”

“So, does it?”

“Not in the slightest,” Luna frowned. “I guess that’s a lie, it does seem to help me relax, but it is only a fleeting feeling. I just don’t want to admit Celestia was right.”

Cadence took a sip; the tea was ok. It hadn’t been steeped enough to get the full flavor, but she didn’t need to bring that up. Luna clearly had more important things on her mind. Quietly she sat back waiting for Luna to continue. She didn’t have to wait long.

“So,” Luna said setting her cup down. “I suppose I should cut to the matter at hoof. While you were gone, Sixes had a rather violent episode. We had all thought he gone insane as he trekked all the way to Tartarus to do battle with an old enemy, but that matter has been cleared up. The troubling part for me personally, come when I confronted Sixes and Celestia in the dream realm. Again, the issue was resolved for the most part, but I saw something. Something I shouldn’t have seen that came from either Celestia, Sixes or both, but I saw…” Luna swallows hard. “I saw my sister, Celestia, knowingly and deliberately feeding Sixes a love potion.”

The cup and saucer in Cadence’s magic drop to the floor, shattering to pieces, the young pink princess’s mouth was agape. Since being titled the Princess of Love, Celestia was very explicit about the rules and laws regarding love potions. Their punishments were severe. No parole and possible death sentence kind of harsh. Not since the love poison incident between a certain prince and princess many centuries ago as any pony tried to create a love anything.

“So… have you talked to Celestia or Sixes about this? Or is there more?” Cadence asked, trying to organize her thoughts. She was finding it hard to believe Celestia would break one of the biggest Taboos in all of Equestria, but then again, the time of this incident. Love potions might not have the same kind of scrutiny as now.

Luna shook her head. “I don’t know. I was pulled from the dream realm before I could see the whole thing. I had been on my way out and stumbled upon the memory. Celestia reactivating her dream defenses might have been a factor in my viewing being cut short or perhaps I hadn’t wanted to see anymore and subconsciously pulled myself out. Either way, I am conflicted. I want to inquire about the event, but things are already so strained between Sixes, Celestia, and myself. I do not wish to drudge up conflicts from a thousand years ago. Besides, given Sixes attitude towards Celestia, the potion is clearly no longer in effect. On the other hoof, I don’t like being left in the dark on this matter. As it involves to ponies, I hold dear to my heart.”

Cadence’s ‘love’ senses were going off from Luna’s words. Looking with her second sight, she could see the bonds of love coming from Luna to everypony she loved. Much to Cadence’s joy, a yellow thread, the color of love representing family and a strong friendship was connected to her. Another related to Celestia who was in the gardens. Many pink ribbons spread forth, joining Luna to ponies she loved platonically, most of them being patrollers and Spitfire and the like. Basically, her friends. There was one red thread. The most accurate color of love if there ever was one. There was little need to see who it was connected too.

Filtering out all but the thread connecting to Celestia, Cadence got a more detailed look at Luna’s real feeling for her sister. Yes, the thread was gold, representing the love of family, but there was also threads of green, crimson, and black mixed into the thread. Envy, anger, and resentment.

“Maybe you should just go talk to Celestia and Sixes? I know it’s the obvious answer and probably not what you want to hear, but you can’t just let your feelings fester inside you.” Cadence sagely advised. From the look of disappointment Luna’s face, she had already reached that answer on her own.

“I know.” Admitted Luna covering her face with her foreleg. “I just wanted to vent as they say. It’s frustrating, I don’t usually bite my tongue in matters like this, but things are so… fragile now.” She sighed uncovering her face. “Thank you for your help, I will deal with matters from here.”

Jumping off her seat Cadence follows Luna as the Moon Princess goes into the hall. “Are you sure you don’t need any more help? If there’s something I could do… I don’t know what, but you and Celestia are my family too…”

Luna comes to a stop looking fondly at her. “I appreciate the sentiment my beloved niece, but you don’t need to worry yourself over this matter. I’m sorry I dragged you into it, but this is between Celestia, Sixes and I, not you. Besides you have your own troubles to attend to, I’m sure Shining Armor could use your support right now. Give him my regards and apologies for stealing you away without warning.”

Cadence’s ears flopped down, her worry not subsiding for her aunts, and the concern for her husband only worsened things. Making her stomach turn with guilt for neglecting him in these trialing hours. Luna was right though, this wasn’t a matter for her to meddle in.

“Alright, well, goodnight and good luck, Auntie. I hope… I hope things go well.” With those departing words, Cadence turned and trotted down the stairwell to her suite. With ever ‘clop, clop’ of her hooves made her worry increase with every step. Before she even realized it, she was outside her room, no her and Shining’s room. They’d have to do a little remodeling, her room was… well, it was girly, to say the least.

She opened the door, finding Shining sitting at the desk, his hooves crossed over his barrel wearing a serious expression. On the desktop were several papers and files. When she shut the door, he head turned, and smiled.

“Welcome home… ah…Cadence.” He said awkwardly.

“Still can’t call me honey uh? Even after dating for two years and finally getting married.” She teased nuzzling his neck. “Don’t worry, you’ll get the hang of it, honey.” She whispered seductively, he shivered, smiling goofily. Despite her husband’s tough public persona, he was a dork when not in uniform. He nuzzled her back, kissing her neck, and she moaned moving her neck to give him a better vantage for the attack, her eyes caught his luggage in the corner, still unpacked.

“You still haven’t unpacked?” She said with surprise. Granted he probably had other things on his mind right now.

Shining broke away looking embarrassed. “Yeah, I… I didn’t know what do to do with it all. I still have stuff at my apartment, and I guess… well… it’s a big change. Part of me kind of thought we’d move to my place.”

“As much as I wouldn’t mind moving into your apartment Shining, you knew that wasn’t an option for us. Aunt Celestia is very unrestrictive, but…”

“I know, the security risk is too high, especially now. I guess I didn’t think…”

“You didn’t think anything would change after marrying into royalty?”

“Yes, I mean no, I mean… yes… no… it’s just a lot to take in. I’m still reeling from the fact we actually got married, then the invasion, now all this stuff today. It’s overwhelming.”

She hugged him, pressing him tightly against her body. “It’s a different world now from a week ago. For both of us, but it doesn’t change the fact we have each other.” He wrapped his hooves around her, holding her tight. She’s never said it aloud, but she was afraid, and he was too. Everything seemed so simple before, their future and where it may lead, but now it was muddy and uncertain.

“We’ll get through this. Together.” He whispered in her ear. She buried her head into his coat, enjoying his warmth. “Come on, let’s go to bed.”


Celestia sat on her usual bench, her only bench, looking up at the statue of Crusader. The sculpted face of her son was looking fierce tonight as if he was displeased with her. It was a strange phenomenon indicative of the stone carvers’ skills as her son’s expression seemed to change every time she visits.

“Are you mad I’ve haven’t come by this past week? I apologize, I’ve been swamped since the invasion. Most evenings I simply fall asleep when my head hits the pillow, I don’t even have time to read a book before bed these days. What book? Oh, a cheesy romance one. You probably wouldn’t like it, I know your father wouldn’t like either, I’m sure. Huh? I don’t know that for sure? I suppose your right, but Sixes don’t seem the type to enjoy romance novels.” She sighed smiling at the frozen stern face of her son. She wished he had a softer expression tonight. A stern expression usually meant something troubling was going to happen. “Right, I should cut to the chance. You want to know how the officer selection process went? Right, of course, you do. You’re like your father, business first. He was there too you know. We didn’t talk. Right, the applicants, there’s Scarlet Kiteshield, she was the former Captain of the Guard, she’s spent a lot of time on the wastelands since retiring. Fighting monsters has defiantly made her a keener commander. Then there’s Cobalt Blaze, he hasn’t slacked off since retiring either. He’s gone around the world, acting as my eyes. Kind of like Daring does but more formally. Where’s Daring? Oh, I don’t know, that mare will send me a letter when she feels like reporting in.”

Crusader’s expression becomes more intense.

“I know, I know,” She replied frustrated. “I’m too lacks with her, but she has the skills I need. I would discipline her more if I thought it would help. Can we change the subject, please? I’m tired of talking about politics and the like. I just want a relaxing conversation.”

“Perhaps I could provide some then? But I can’t promise it will be relaxing.” Celestia swirled around frozen by her sister’s sudden presence. Luna struts into her sanctuary taking it in with a critical and worried glance. “So, this is what you do here? Talk to him?” She indicates pointing to the statue of Crusader, his expression much more joyous now. Her son was playing favorites tonight it seemed.

“Yes,” Celestia admitted without hesitance. “It clears my mind and brings me back to simpler days. The day he was by my side. He lived for nearly six hundred years. I didn’t realize the burden he lifted from me until he was gone.” Or the one he left behind. She mused thinking of a certain statue with a broken plate. She should fix that within the next year and a half. The portal would be opening soon. “So, what brings you here tonight, Luna? I thought you’d be enjoying Time Keeper’s designated free time for us. I believe we won’t have any meetings still after lunch tomorrow. Things seem to be quieting down at least a little bit.”

“Can I not simply wish to talk to my sister in this rare instance of free time?” Luna said innocently. Celestia could read right through that look.

“You can, but you looked much more interested in talking to Cadence. Not that I’m jealous. I’m positively overjoyed by how well you two have hit it off these pasts few weeks.” Way to not sound jealous Celestia. Or petty either.

Luna eyed her strangely. “Yes, I was rather vigorous to catch Cadence’s ear before she retired to her chambers to console her husband. But really you shouldn’t be mad or jealous, you’ve simply not been around lately.”

Yes, that was true. First Cadence was in Europona, then when Cadence got back to Equestria, she had to Prance. Quiet the schedule conflict. “She’s really grown up,” Celestia said suddenly. “It seemed not so long ago I was scolding her for using to magic to keep struggling couples together by force. Now she seems to have everything well in hoof, and she married too. It’s almost like she doesn’t need me anymore.”

Luna laughed, “You sound like a doting mother. Sad to see her foal leave the stables.”

“Well,” Celestia said fondly look at the statue of her son. “It’s a feeling I’ve experienced many times before, but one I never quite mastered getting over.”

“There’s nothing wrong with that,” Luna replied. To which Celestia agreed as they sat in the silence of the night. Listening to the cricket’s chirp. It was peaceful, it was nice, it was perfect. So now was probably time to ruin the moment.

“Why are you really here, Luna?”

“I’m I that obvious?” Luna asked looking at her with a sheepish expression. Seems she was right, there was something on her sister’s mind.

“Not always. I’ve just gotten better at reading ponies, so what’s on your mind?”

Luna frowned, humming softly as she looked at the statue of Crusader. For a moment Celestia wondered if Luna was going to dodge the question and keep up the soft talk until she was ready to talk. But that notion passed when Luna looked at her, fire in her teal irises.

“Why did you force feed a love potion to Sixes?”

“How…”

“I saw it in the dream realm.” Luna looked away, hiding her expression. “After you and Sixes showed me the TealBlood incident. I hadn’t intended to see it nor did I look for it, it just appeared before me. I only saw part of it I’m sure. I would like to know what happened after Sixes took the first sip.”

Now it was her turn to sigh, shame and guilt filled her, taking away what joy she cultivated from her visiting with Crusader. It was one of her darkest moments, one of her weakest and most regretted. Celestia raised her head, tears flowing down her cheeks as she looked up at her son.

“I made them both hate me for that mistake. However, and you can confirm this with Sixes if you don’t believe me. I didn’t get to enjoy even Sixes' fake endearment.” She laughed bitterly, Luna looked confused. “Sixes' spit the love poisoned coffee out, well he threw it up to be accurate. Becoming very ill as if I had given him Tatzelwurm poison. When Starwind saw the pink vile on the floor, he knew had I done. He ran tests. He wasn’t sure if it was the alicorn amulet or some genetic trait from the mad doctors, but Sixes' body rejected the potion. He wasn’t happy when he found out what it was I tried to feed him. Crusader even less so.”

Luna smiled bittersweetly, “You just can’t catch a break, can you.”

She smiled in return though there was little joy in it, “I guess so. At least I was able to reconcile with Crusader, it took a while. I hope I can do the same now with Sixes.”

“Stop trying so hard, and you might get somewhere.” Luna snidely replies.

Celestia then realizes what she was implying. “Sorry, I should have remembered, you and him… are you still?”

“We’re somewhere. Or at least I thought we were, things seem to have changed, again, with my absence. But as they say, actions speak louder than words. Sixes went through so much trouble just to be here today. They all did. Just to see me again.” Luna smiled, a bright, warm smile as beautiful as the moon they sat under. “If the saying is true, then Sixes’s and the others actions are louder then the roar of a thousand Dragonlords.”

That made her smile too. It was infectious. She and Luna just talking. Not about politics, policy, foreign nations. Only two sisters talking, about a stallion if things couldn’t get any more cliché.

“Have you shown this place to Sixes yet? Or Cadence? Twilight?”

Celestia shook her head. “No, I would like to show Sixes and tell him of Crusader’s life after he went to sleep in stone, but Cadence and Twilight… I suppose there’s no reason not to show them, but well…”

POOF!

A scroll falls from Celestia’s horn, baring Daring’s seal. Celestia takes it casting worried looks towards Luna’s looking/not looking gaze. “Well,” Celestia sighed rolling the scroll back up to hide its contents. “Seems my personal time is over. Excuse me this needs my attention.”

“Yes,” Luna says cautiously. “It’s late anyway. Goodnight sister, turn in soon and catch up on your sleep.”

“I will,” Celestia said jovially as Luna trotted away, but the mood was ruined. She cursed Daring’s timing to send her report NOW of all times. As she reopens the scroll, thoroughly rereading it to double checks its contents.

(Daring’s note

Found the Black and Purple Amulets. Heard rumors of another in the frozen north, going to investigate.

Signed, Daring)
Celestia lowered the scroll, a scowl on her face. The frozen north, Sombra, and the Crystal Empire’s tomb lay there. This did not bode well. Time is short. Shorter then she predicted. Seems she won’t be getting a day off tomorrow after all, nor would any of them. She scribbles back a reply, telling the rogue wonder to be careful and to warn the guards she posted there to vigilant.

Things were about to get worse.

Author's Note:

A very packed chapter. Got a little shout out for the Queen Bug I wasn't sure if her scene should have been at the begining or end. Still not, but I decided to go with beginning.

PreviousChapters Next