• Published 2nd Nov 2016
  • 2,216 Views, 217 Comments

Night Patrol 2: Awakening - Foxgear



A thousand years she was in the moon, now she's back and living in a strange new world. Her friends and comrades gone, nothing but dust in the dirt. With only her sister Luna look towards the future, but the past keeps calling her back.

  • ...
5
 217
 2,216

PreviousChapters Next
Victory with Sake and Smokes

Night Patrol 2 Chapter 47

By Foxgear


The late afternoon sun beamed down on the remains of the Crystal Empire. Remains is the most accurate way to describe the place. There was nothing left, not a building standing anywhere. Even the arena was cut down a low wall with some broken stand seats around it.

That didn’t mean all able-bodied ponies weren’t busy. In fact, for a tiny minority of Equestrians, and most of the Nippon army were searching the city rubble for survivors. Efforts were being made to mine into the underground of the castle, now a black mass of hardened lava.

There were questions, postmortem, that needed to be answered. Questions like who died, where were their remains, and checking for surviving enemy combatants. Deciding their fate whether or not they chose to accept surrender and dealing with that. Standard clean up. However, there was one more important question that the rulers, particularly Celestia and Luna, wanted to be answered.

Where were the crystal ponies?

Right now, the Royal’s biggest fears were the there were none left, or they were imprisoned in the castle. Not a fun thought, but from Sweet Dreams and Cadence’s testimony, it was a strong possibility. For now, they could only search. Large scale efforts were being made to mine under the castle and hope the underground was lava free. The more pragmatic weren’t holding their breath.

Luckily since absorbing the Crystal Heart, Cadence managed to reform the protective dome over the city, allowing everypony to work in a very comfortable climate.

“We’re gonna have to talk about that too.” Sixes grumbled, checking off the list of other things he’d need to report for the upcoming meeting. Currently, he walking through base camp, collecting reports from the lower officers, and checking on the search efforts. He could this via gemcom without being on sight, but he preferred to this kind of thing personally. It was relaxing in a strange mundane way. Besides, Doctor BlueCross gave him strict orders to take it easy. Bedrest was preferred, but walking hadn’t be forbidden. Between the two, he preferred to walk.

A full day has passed since the official end of the war. Clean up would probably take three days to a week to wrap up. The injured were already being transported by train to Canterlot. Two Nippon Light Cruisers already left with the injured and dead to take them home. The rest of the Nippon fleet would stay until Kira decided to go, so they were stuck here.

While he collected reports, Sixes kept going over what points he wanted to bring up in the meeting with Kira and the other officers. He was definitely interested in how Kira managed her forces. Hoping to suggest some crossover training from Nippon. He would admit, reluctantly, that Nippon was a far superior force. Not just to the Equestrian Army, but Night Patrol. Even in its heyday when they thought they had the world by the horns with three wooden airships or the Nightmare.

“I do think they could stand to adept some long-range equipment.” He muttered under his breath, collecting an earth pony captain's report. Grunting a carry one, he wandered off, tapping his gemcom to find the next officer.

Checking the time, Sixes frowned, the meeting was probably pushed back since he hadn’t received any message to assemble, yet. The meeting couldn’t be held until all Rulers, high ranking officers, and VIPs were cleared medically fit.

Kira was practically a princess in a castle the way her family fretted over her. Forcing her to partake in several hours long ritual meant to restore vitality and promote healing or something like that. Some sort of Nippon dance magic, maybe? Whatever it was, Kira indulged in her clan's worries and let it proceed.

Celestia was still asleep last he heard, and Luna wasn’t much better as Kira had dragged her into the healing ritual. “Then there were all the injured officers like Topaz and Gloves and the VIPs…” Sixes trailed off, looking glum and sighing. “It’ll probably be evening before they’re ready. Maybe even tomorrow if we unlucky.”
One of the VIP groups was Celestia’s student and her friends. He honestly didn’t see the point of having them there. Most of them were probably traumatized. As they should be. The rumor was the six were national heroines, with several impressive feats under their belts. Their coverage was somewhat subdued. He could only scoff, not out of malice, but he couldn’t help himself. “Defeat one super threat, and they give you parades, medals, and a stain glass windows. I’m not even sure they could be called weekend heroes.”

Moseying through the tents and soldiers, Sixes finally had the time to review his time in this new era. This wasn’t the first or the last time, the familiarity of war, battle, and blood was more reassuring than the peace that had apparently been in place before his return. War was familiar; it was his life.

Stepping outside of the encampment in the shadow of one of the warships, he stared across the blacken crystal plains. Tuffs of shining green grass were already sprouting thanks to Cadence’s magic. A wasted effort in his mind, but it did make the scene less depressing.

“That’s something we do need, should ask some of the mares to dance or something.” In his field of view, the worse job was being done. Corpse removal. Well, what was left to be considered a corpse, he guessed. The bombardment had left little intact, friend or foe.
In most cases, there wasn't enough of the body to bury, friendly dog tags were collected. Both of them, one for the records and one for the family and everything else, was dropped in a large pit, which would then be filled with lava hardened, and a stone with the fallen names carved on it would be placed on top. A makeshift tomb for the fallen.

Currently, there were at five holes. Far away in another part of the field, there was a lava pit for the enemy being kept hot to dissolve the corpses. There would be no marker for them. Sombra’s children's bodies, the one they could find, were already tossed in to guard against necromancy. Except for the skulls, some of the Nippon ponies kept as trophies. There was hardly a trace of Sombra’s kingdom left.

Sitting back against the base’s earthen wall, Sixes padded his saddlebag, retrieving the cigars Admiral Gathers had given him. He smiled faintly, taking one for himself, cutting the ends with his talon, and lighting it with his breath. He inhaled deeply and exhaled, visibly relaxing for the first time since the end of the war.

“How many days was this war?” He couldn’t recall, it all blurred together. “I guess that depends on when it actually started.”

If accounting for the troop’s mobilization, the war was three days long, maybe four. The constant overcast sky made it feel like one long day. For him personally, it felt like only a few hours, even though it was probably two days.

“Hey! Ya got one for me, Brother?”

Sixes glanced sideways, biting down on his cigar at the sight of Shamrock's muzzle. “Don’t call me, brother.” He stated for what was probably the millionth time, but he passed a cigar to the Clydesdale Rinin. Shamrock settled down next to him, lighting his smoke with a green flame.

“Ah, the Admiral really came through! Though I prefer the pipe, this is fine. You, me and the misses should all go out for a pint and smoke sometime. Now, where is me, bonny lass? Probably putting her own bend together with Kira, eh?”

“Wouldn’t know.”

“Ah, come on now! I’d think you’d be interested in mare’s smoking pipe. Maybe Luna would take to it? Gives you an accuse to keep puffing cigars, right?”

Sixes scrunched his nose, imagining Luna with smoking, the image did not fit. But then he envisioned her in a kimono-like Kira with her hair done up, pipe a loft in her magic. “Huh, that strangely works.”

“Right? I remember this time Es and I went on vacation to Nippon after Kira’s wedding. She set us up really good, gave Essex this darling thing of dress, made her blush like mad, especially when I got her out of it!” Shamrock slapped his knee, laughing loudly while digging into his saddlebag and pulled out a bottle. “Ah, glad I had Highlander get this for me. I prefer ale or whiskey, but sake isn’t bad. Have some, since you got the smokes.”

Taking the bottle, Sixes stared at the mouth before knocked back a long glug and passed it back. “We’ll have to share. I gotta give out cigars to Fury, Tri, Topaz, and the others.”

“I’ll give ya a claw, but first let knock a few rounds back. Come on, brother!”

Sixes grimaced, but fought back the urge to rebuke Shamrock and smiled, “Yeah, alright, brother.”

“Ah, hah! Finally, I got ya to say it! Let’s drink to celebrate!”

“Whatever,” Sixes grumbled, yet he was smiling, staring up at the clear sky with shimmering orange eyes. “What’s Fury up to?”

Shamrock slapped him on the back, his cheeks already flush, “Old red? I saw him in Glove’s tent talking to some mares. Ya think he’s…” He made a gesture with his claws, to which Sixes slapped away.

“It’s none of our business.” Sixes chastised. “Besides, either way, I doubt he’s up for that.”

Shamrock stared at the bottle with a sad smile, “Yeah, I suppose it’s a little soon for him.” He took a drink and passed back. Time drifting away like clouds in the sky. When one particular cloud passed overhead, Sixes grinned.

“Well, I’ll be dammed.”


“You got time to talk?” Was the first thing he said when entering the tent. Much to her charging, it made Spitfire blush.

“Yeah, I guess, you ok here, Fleetfoot?” The Colonel asked her friend, who had glued herself to Vice Commander Glove’s bed, playing nurse for the Rinin. Spitfire didn’t know what happened between the two, or the story behind Glove’s crazy evil-looking red foreleg. Still, she supported her friend, for now. She wasn’t going to let Fleetfoot get down with Gloves if he was actually a demon. “So where to?”

Fury gestured for her to follow, leading her outside the tent and taking flight. They flew over the base, over the docked airships, and perched themselves atop of low hanging cloud. Things slowed down from there. Fury looked down across the wasteland, a strange smile on his lips, but when Spitfire leaned in, she noticed his eyes were glazed over, his mind clearly somewhere else. A relief for her, since she didn’t like the idea of anypony finding this sight enjoyable.

Deciding to let Fury go at his own pace, Spitfire looked across the field where many ponies littered the ground. The Wonderbolt grimaced at the sight of the body collectors picking through lumps of former ponies in search of a dog tag. The hardest part was watching the casual dropping of the remains in the pits. A few Pegasi were just deposited inside the hole, so she looked away when the rinin began to spiting lava atop the bodies.

“I used to look down from places like this with…” Fury frowned; his brow frowned deep against his temple. “My mare friend, Nightingale… I guess she was. She kind of just kissed me after the first crystal war, and I went along with it. I didn’t really know what to do, she had lost her wings in the war, and maybe more out of pity than love, I started dating her. Not that it stayed like that, I got to know her better, maybe overtime I did fall in love with her too. Maybe not enough in the end. Considering where our paths diverged.”

He went silent, staring ahead into the distance.

“So… am I, her descendant? Or yours then?”

Fury smiled, shaking his head, “You looked and acted so alike, I thought so, but no. We’re not related. That said, you got Rinin in you. One I know, his name was Overheat, he was like Kira, one of the monster ponies, a great warrior, and a fucking horndog.” He snorted, laughing. “Gods! The number of families he spawned from his herd. I’m sure you’ve noticed.”

“Well, Blaze and I do look similar… and there are a lot of us with yellow/orange hair that looks like fire… what did this guy look like again?”

“Tall, hair like fire, literally turned into a flaming skeleton.”

“The hell? What was he the base for Ghost Pony rider?”

Fury looked at her funny, “Ghost Pony Rider?”

She turned up her nose, “It’s a comic book! A popular at that! Everypony knows about it. I only saw pages from copies my friends were reading.”

“Uh-huh, sure.” Fury chuckled, ruffling her mane. Which she took offense too.

“Hey! We just established I’m not from your loins, so don’t treat me like a kid!”

“Sorry, but now I see you like a niece or rather a friend’s daughter, it’s kind of hard to get past, even if it’s been nearly ten generations.”

She fumed, but visibility relaxed, “So, besides being a great warrior and horndog, is there anything else you can tell me about this Overheat?”

“You interested?”

“Well yeah! I mean, if I got rinin blood in me, that means I should be able to go all sorts of crazy shit! Hell, with practice, maybe I can spit fire! I’ve already done it a few times alcohol.”

Fury fell on his back, looking straight at the sky. “Well, there was this one time…”

Spitfire fell back with him, listening to Fury’s tales while watching the clouds above move. Minutes and then hours seemed to pass with them just taking.

“Did he really do that?” she snorted when Fury finish the story of Overheat walking into the dining hall with an erection. With the Princesses present as the cherry on top.

“I swear.” Fury bellowed, genuinely happy, it made him stop short and place claw over his heart. His boastful smile waded to a small grin. “Gods… when was the last time I laughed like this?” He mused, watching the clouds change shape. Spitfire’s eyes were on him, he looked at her blazing orange eyes, but he didn’t see her, he saw somepony else. He saw Nightingale. His grin faded away to nothing.

Spitfire sighed loudly and looked back towards the clouds. “Somepony else on your mind?”

“Yeah… Nightingale, she… was my marefriend or lover. I never quite quantified what we really were. If I’m honest, she might have loved me more then I loved her, or rather, I didn’t know how to love her. I mean, we did all the things lovers do cuddle, had sex, or just simply spent time with each other. Our relationship started after the first Crystal War; she was in a tough spot. Lost her wings in the war. She kinda came on to me, and I, for better or worse, couldn’t reject her. Not that I regret it, but maybe I never gave her attention she really deserved or wanted.”

“Is she the one you see? When you look at me?”

“Yes, which is why I thought you were her descendent and possibly mine. It troubled me, why she didn’t want to come with us. To wait in stone. It bothered me a lot more then I would like to admit. It became clear to me when I started to do research, and now, I feel… betrayed.”

Spitfire sat up, quickly putting the pieces together. “She was pregnant, with your child, but didn’t tell you.”

“Yes.”

“Do you hate her for that?”

“No, I’m sure it wasn’t an easy choice. Starwind never said anything, or maybe he did, and I didn’t listen. There were probably some side effects to petrifying a newborn in the womb. Or maybe he didn’t know if it would do anything or not. Nightingale probably didn’t want to take the chance. I can understand that.” Fury sat up, a look of hurt and anger on his face. “What makes me mad is she didn’t give me a choice in the matter.”

“Would it have changed your mind, though? I mean, really?” Spitfire pressed, making Fury bristle at her words, which made it evident to her what his choice would have been. “So,” She began looking back out across the smoking plans. “Who’s your descendant? You must have found one, right?”

“Fleetfoot.”

Spitfire froze, whipping her head back so fast it popped. “Say that again?”

“Fleetfoot is Nightingale’s and my direct descendent. For whatever’s that worth. She’s better off not knowing.”

“That’s no up for you to decide, is it?” Spitfire got in his face. “You just said, you were mad that Nightingale didn’t give you a choice, well, your about to do the same to Fleetfoot! And before you say anything, yes, you’re ten generations removed, it doesn’t matter, but you two are still family, right? Hell, there would be no family without you!”

Fury smiled warily, reaching with his claw to ruffle Spitfire’s mane. “You might be too smart for me.” He laughed.

She grinned, “You know it.”

The two of them shared a laugh until it attracted the attention of Sixes and Shamrock, who joined them on the cloud. Fury accepted the victory cigar, to Spitfire’s chagrin, but the half-full jug of Sake put up her mood.

“Hail whatever Gods remain for fine cigars and rice wine, right?” Sixes bellowed with a faint tint of pink on his muzzle, clearly inhibited.

Fury nodded, watching Spitfire chug back the jug with a nostalgic smile. He took it from her, sipped, and then pressed it back to her lips.

“At least wipe your spit…” She didn’t get to finish, her lips too busy with his. When he broke off, he laughed heartily, pulling her close with his wing in a very familiar gesture, which made the pegasus mare turn from yellow to pink. “You even know what you're implying with this… these… all this…” She stammered off when she saw the look in his eyes. He was looking at her and only her. His tail curled around her belly, pulling her snug against her body.

“Do you know what this means for dragons?” He asked. Sixes and Shamrock were leaning forward, grinning like mad, poorly trying to rein themselves in. Shamrock was laughing a drunken laugh and making a gesture with his claws while saying something to Fury. Spitfire’s ears burned so intensely she couldn’t make out a word, or maybe it was the pounding of her heart.

“I can take a guess,” She gulped, letting her body relax with a little help from the alcohol. Settling closer to the red Rinin of her own volition.

The peaceful heartfelt moment didn’t last long as messenger flew up to them.

“Commanders! You need to see this!”


Elsewhere


In the officer medical tent, a crowd had gathered around Topaz Slicer, who was bandaged from head to tail, resting soundly on his belly. On the cot next to him, was Shining Armor, who was healed, but still weakened. He was assigned bed rest by the doctors. Filling out the crowd was Bulwark, also still bandaged up, Platinum snuggled against him, and finally Sweet Dreams and Goodnight.

The thestrial mare was on a cot, covered head to toe in heavy blankets even though it was probably seventy degrees in Cadence’s dome. Constant exposure to Skaggi’s magic left the thestral in a continuous shiver ever since her control bonds were removed. Now free, her body took its chance to show just how cold it was. Sweat Dreams nearly dying of frostbite one the spot.

A short dip in the spring got rid of the worse of it, but with the war over, it was decided she should recover as naturally as possible. Doctor Blue Cross lecturing on the ill effects of rapid healing and how it destroys the body's natural recovery process or something like that.

Goodnight had been only half-listening. Gluing himself to Sweet Dreams side, holding his fellow commando/thestral’s hoof through her treatment. Gradually Sweet Dream opened her eyes, smiling wistfully at him.

“Hi.”

“Hi,” He replied awkwardly, keeping his hooves in place. “How are you feeling?”

“Still cold, could you climb in with me? Please?” A heavy blush beset Goodnight’s cheeks, but he crawled under the covers, wrapping himself around Sweet Dreams and pulled the blanket over them. She let out a content sigh, snuggling closer to him.

“Ah… that’s better.” Sweets nuzzled against his neck, her body was cold enough to make him shiver, but that just made him wrap her tighter, trying to force his own warmth into her.

(Ah… I’m glad I didn’t say that out loud.) Goodnight cringed imagining certain things.

Goodnight and Sweet Dreams laid still neither of them feeling the touch of sleep, not because they weren’t tired. Far from it, both were exhausted, but the giggling gaze of their tentmate kept them up. Both bat ponies peeked around the room to see Platinum looking at them from between Bulwark tree trunk forelegs like a bird in the nest. The silver/pink unicorn rose from her roast with a silly grin and a coy eye.

“So… when is the wedding?”

“I’d give them two years,” Mumbled Bulwark, peeking through his eyelids. “What do you think, Topaz?”

“Does it really matter?” The orange rinin replied, keeping his eyelids closed. “On a different note, let Sweet Dreams finish the training regimen before knocking her up, then she can at least serve as an instructor for the next crop.”

Both Thestrals were pinker than Pinkie Pie, with Sweet Dreams a shade darker than that. “Ok, is anypony here actually asleep! Or were you all just waiting around to pick on us?”

“You could have gone to a different tent, mine is free.”

“But ours has a bigger bed! The transport staff was really generous about that, I just can’t sleep if I don’t feel the Bully’s weight on top of me.”

“I would just like to report I was sleeping.” The chatter died down, all eyes lasering on Shining Armor rising from his covers. “But I’ll just… ah… go, I guess.”

Before the white unicorn could get to his feet, Topaz ordered him to lay back down, the orange rinin emphasizing with an orange silted glare. “Sit down.”

“Yes, sir.” Gulped Shining at the terrifying officer, despite lying on his back.

“Private Shining Armor, I got a report a few hours ago from Princess Cadence. With notes from the VIPs about your performance during the operation, but I need a direct report from you, accounting for the time she was not with you.”

“Yes, sir.” Shining hung his head, telling the tale of how he and others stayed behind to detract the enemy and how he’s been captured.

“Fury and Trifecta also said you were tortured.”

“Yes, I was. Though it out of fun for the enemy, rather than information.”

Topaz closed his eyes and nodded, “I see, come here.” Shining complied standing by the officer’s side, expecting a scolding for losing his unit or for getting captured. He already knew what Commander Fury thought of him. What he didn’t expect was Topaz to pat him on the head.

“You did good, the best any pony could have asked of you.”

His breath caught, believing his ears were deceiving him. “What?”

“I said you did good, Shining Armor. It was rough, but you succeeded in your mission. All the VIPs, your wife included, made it back, that’s what is in important. I’m looking forward to your future exploits. You have potential. I’m sure the others will see that soon enough, keep up the good work. Your dismissed, why don’t you go somewhere more fun?”

“Commander Topaz… thank you! I’ll do my best!” Shining Armor stood tall, saluting the commander who waved him off.

“Whatever, go get out of here, there are better things you could be doing.”

“Like what, sir?”

Platinum let out an exulcerated sigh, “UGH! He’s saying go bust a nut in your wife or check on your more than likely mentally scarred sister or something!”

“Well, she’s half right,” Topaz laughed.

“About which one?”

The orange rinin just continued to smile, “Whichever one you want to do first. Now don’t make me tell you again, get out of here. I’m about to clunk out again. Better yet, besides the bat, why don’t you two leave. I know what you and Bulwark want to.”

“Aww, you so sweet, Commander. But Bully, and I already did it while you were all sleeping. Silence is a very beneficial spell.”

The four ponies collectively sniffed the air, grimacing at the very musky smell in the tent. “Second thought, Shining teleport us or get some ponies to move us out of here, and you're promoted.”

“Right away, Commander Topaz! I’ll be back post-haste.” He saluted, running out of the tent. Topaz craned his neck to glare at the unabashed Platinum.

“What? Sex is a great stress reliever. I know some mares that would love to…”

“One more word and I call Sixes.”

“That’s not fair! Besides, what would he do? He wouldn’t care.”

“Yeah, but you’d still be embarrassed.”

Platinum puffed her cheeks, appearing ready to blow her top only to putter out a hard, “Fuck.”

The Rinin Commander laughed, mentally saying checkmate as Platinum pouted until Shining returned with a small squad to carry them to a different tent. Topaz casually telling Platinum and Bulwark they can have all the fun they want in a thunderous, very condescending tone that irked her to no end.

“Yeah, well…um… ah... Fuck the moon, why can’t I come up with better comebacks?”

Now alone, the two lovers settled down. Platinum nuzzled close to her lover as possible without aggravating his injuries. Moving was difficult thanks to her prosthetics being MIA.

(I’ll make new ones. Better ones! Maybe I’ll put a Gatling cannon in one this time. Yeah, and perhaps I’ll go through the pegasus adaptor surgery like AppleJazz did. Speaking of Jazz, I wonder where she is. Must be in another tent. She must be feeling awful for getting taken out so early. It is rather embarrassing we had to call in the kids for this mission. Nothing against them, but adults shouldn’t have to rely on talented youths like them. We shouldn’t.)

Overcome with overflowing maternal emotions, Platinum felt the weight resting on her chest, remembering the initial outbreak of the battle. Feeling awful that Topaz had to call the Monster Squad in almost right at the start.

“Next time. Next time I won’t let those kids be put in danger.” She swore, settling down for another nap. New weapons design floated in her head. “Next time… bazookas… yeah… blow their head right off…”

“Excuse me? Is oh!”

The sound of muffled gasp caused Platinum to spring awake, rollover Bulwark’s forelegs, land on the floor, and grab the intruder with her magic. A panic eyed white unicorn stared at her, a familiar one at that.

“Allure? No, ah… name, name, what’s your name… Rarity! Yes, Rarity. Jazz told me about you. Oh, sorry.” Sheepishly Platinum let Rarity go allowing her to speak and breathe, though the marshmallow mare was staring behind her. “Oh, don’t mind him, that’s my husband, Bulwark Bulldrake, he’s a gentle as a… ah… well. He’s gentle with me, I guess. But you're fine. Ugh, sorry I am rambling, what did you need?”

The element of Generosity collected herself, clamping her mouth shut and avoided looking at either pony, less she says something narrow-mindedly offensive.

“I’m sorry, I was just looking for a place to… be alone.”

Platinum nodded sagely. “Ah, bathroom, right? I know how it can be, but what is a toilet but a hole in the ground, right?”

“WHAT? NO!” Blushed Rarity.

“Oh, my bad, Allure always said that when she needed to use the bathroom. Well, something like that. For a mining mare, she sure knew how to clean up.” Platinum looked wistfully at her friend's descendent. “She always gave me the best quality gems. They work wonderfully to power my mechanics. I don’t suppose you are still in the mining trade? You’re a seamstress, right?”

“By trade, but my special talent is finding gemstones, which I use in my designs.” Rarity said, sitting down. “Sorry to make you roll out of bed, do you need help getting up? That’s not insensitive, is it?”

Platinum waved her single leg. “I’m fine. Don’t worry about this. Once I get my spare legs from home, I’ll be walking around like any normal pony, just with metal legs.”

“I saw them, your legs I mean, after the invasion. They were… ugh rather clunky to put it nicely. Not very befitting for such a gorgeous mare like yourself.”

“Oh posh, I’m nothing special. Though for clarification, those legs were my combat prosthetics. I did make some walking around legs, ones without weapons, they’re much slenderer and sleeker, but still not very beautiful.”

“But if they were polished silver or white gold, with some engravings, I believe… actually, do you have paper? I could sketch it out for you.” Platinum pointed Rarity over to the saddlebags piled next to the bed. The seamstress retrieved the field pad and sketch pencil from inside. Hastily drawing a slender leg with leaves and vine pattern on it. “These would make you the talk of Canterlot! I bet noble ladies would be so envious they would chop off their own legs!”

“Well, I don’t need them to do that, but if I can doll myself up for Bully, then I’m happy.” Platinum gazed lovingly at the pony any average pony would describe as a monster. “He’s a lot bigger up close, ponies would probably call him ugly because he looks more alike bull than a pony.” She looked straight into Rarity’s eyes. “Many would say the same thing about a one-legged mare too.”

“That’s not…” Rarity stopped herself, reading Platinum’s eyes. “That’s not inaccurately, I guess… a shame that ponies would think like that.”

The legged mare smiled. “Yes, ponies fear things that are different. After I lost my legs, my family lost in the rubble, I was whisked away to different country cared for by the most bizarre ponies I’d ever seen in my young life. I was afraid, hurt, and alone. I knew I would never fit back in with normal society.” Platinum’s smile widened. “So, I said, fuck it, and embraced the bizarre, and suddenly everything was… normal. I even fell in love, got married. Something I thought would be impossible. During my recovery and even after I got my new legs, I couldn’t see myself as anything desirable. How could I? Then one day, I saw this big scary rinin, a fierce warrior that breathed fire and brought death sitting alone in the bed of flowers behind the castle. I remember my first thought, he looks sad.”

Platinum shook her head, Rarity leaned in closer engrossed by the story. “What next? What did you say to him?”

“Nothing, at first, but I began visiting that place more often. I knew Bulwark knew I was there, but we didn’t talk. Even if we met in the castle, we didn’t speak to each other. This dragged on and on, and ponies were beginning to talk. Then one day out of the blue, Sixes comes stomping down the hall, tugging that big lug by the ear stops in front of me and says: This big pile of mush has been asking me for weeks if he can take you on a date. Either go with him or break his heart. I don’t care.”

Rarity blinked, “Oh, that’s… romantic? I guess?”

“Moi Pere was always the direct sort, but he did bring us together in his own way. Anyway, after embarrassing us in front of everypony. Bulwark took me out to that flower bed, under the moonlight. It was amazing. They were night lilies, so they glowed blue at night, perfect scene. The light was reflecting off my metal legs and were both so awkward with each other. Finally, at about midnight, I asked: Do you really like me? I heckled him, stressing over and over again that I only had one leg and that I wouldn’t be able to a lot of things. Telling him sex would be very boring since I couldn’t equip my prosthetics in bed. The joints weren’t flexible enough, and the metal tears everything up. Do you know what he said?”

“What?” Gasped Rarity.

Platinum leaned close with a snicker, whispering, “Nothing, he told me how much he loved me without saying a word. Do you know how?”

Rarity reared back, her face red like a pepper. “Oh, I can imagine, so um… how did you fall in love that night? With him, I mean?”

“Well,” Platinum chuckled. “I did, but I also cursed him in the morning. I was sore like a small tree had been shoved…”

“Ok! I’m all for spicy details, but this seems like it should be…”

“And my coat was like covered, like sticky syrup matted to my fur…”

“Right, so…” Rarity clamped Platinum’s mouth closed, “Right! I get it, anything else? Not related to… that…?”
Platinum giggled while covering her mouth. “I’m sorry, Miss Rarity, I’m told I speak too frankly at time. Long story short, we went on a date and then another, and before I knew it, it had been a few months. I realized I didn’t care what Bulwark looked like or what other thought of us. I loved him, and he loved me, and I wasn’t going to be shamed into thinking otherwise!” She declared, boldly shaking her leg in the air. “Now, you sure you don’t want what to hear about…”

“Put it in a novel and maybe.” Rarity said quickly. “I know you should have a dress! A dress to go with your new legs!”

“Oh, that’s so sweet of you! What do you have in mind?”

“Well, I was thinking…” Rarity began explaining the finer details of her design, causing Platinum to forget to ask why she was even here in the first place. Not that she cared. Being able to show off her mare side was a rare and every enjoyable past time. Not many ponies, let alone mares were comfortable around her to talk about dresses and the like.

“Do you do hair ornaments too, Rarity?”


In another tent, not far away from where Platinum and Rarity were engaging mare talk, sat four other mares. Popularly known as the Elements of the Harmony. Besides Rarity, Twilight Sparkle was missing from the group. In fact, none of them have seen the purple unicorn yet, only told her injuries were extensive and under the Nippon Miko’s care. They didn’t know if that was reassuring or not. Having to ask what a Miko was in the first place.

The short answer of the Great Mother Queen’s personal attendants and bodyguards wasn’t the best frame of reference for the Equestrians. When the Nippon messenger looked at a loss about how to better explain, one of Kira’s Clan, Shiroyasha, intervened. He didn’t do a much better job.

“So, the Miko, most of them are my cousins, not all, are the most beautiful and talented mares that devoted themselves to serving the Mother Queen. They know everything and anything between their members, so they’re like super doctors, I guess. Some of them are anyway. Your friend is in good hooves, or maybe she’s in such bad shape they need the Miko? Hmm, yeah, your friend might be dying now that I think about it.”

“OK! Lord Shiroyasha, let’s go. Anywhere else!” The Pink rinin in red armor stressed, pushing the dead-eyed Nippon pony away. “Sorry, sorry, don’t worry, I’m sure your friend isn’t doing that bad… I hope?”

Awkwardly they shut the tent flap and left, Rarity expressed her desire to be alone, going as well, putting them where they were now. Sitting in silence with a heavy air waiting for one of them break it. Bets were pretty much set on which pony that was.

“This sucks!” Cried Rainbow Dash. “They’re treating us like we're little fillies!”

“No pony is forcing your stay in the tent, Rainbow,” Applejack grumbled. “You can leave anytime, but I doubt they’ll let you see Twilight.”

“Why not? We’re like on first name bases with the Princesses! They have to let us in.”

“I very much doubt those Nippon ponies see us as anything special.”

“Then I’ll go find Princess Celestia or Luna, or maybe Cadence! I bet they all get to see Twilight! We deserve to see if our friend is ok, right?”

Applejack rubbed her foreleg, her green eyes looking far away. “Yeah… I don’t feel like seeing her right now…”

“WHAT?”

From the corner, a meek voice spoke up, “Um… I don’t either really… sorry.”

“You too, Fluttershy?” Rainbow whipped around to the last pony present. “Pinkie Pie?”

The Element of Laughter’s hair only had one puffy curl in it, her face dower and sober. “Yeah, I want to see Twilight, but… not right now.”

“What’s wrong with you three?” Rainbow grew flustered, her face turning red. “Are you abandoning her?”

“Dagnabit! It isn’t like that, Rainbow!” Applejack stormed up the pegasus getting right in her face. “Things are just… complicated right now. This whole Element of Harmony deal… its… oh, fuck it! I didn’t sign up for this! I gotta farm to run, a little sister to look after, and prepare a future for! If I wanted to be in the army, I would have joined the army! This!” She emphasized around the tent. “This isn’t what I want in my life! I mean. What was the point of us here? What did we do? We got in the way! I thought this was going to be like the other times, challenging sure, dangerous, sure, but this… this was apocalyptic! A mountain of black rock sits on top of what once a castle! I saw…”

Applejack held her hoof over her mouth.

“I saw what they were doing to the bodies. They’re throwing them into lava pits because there’s not enough space to bury them all, and that’s for our own! Everything else is being tossed into one pit like they’re trash! This is messed up!”

“If we had brought the elements…” Rainbow began, only to get cut off by Applejack.

“If those trinkets would have been any use, Celestia would have had them for us! She didn’t bring them! If they were useless, then what does that say about us!” Applejack snorted fiercely rubbing her snot and tears with her leg. “I’m going out for some air. Provided there’s any good air left in this forsaken place.”

“Fine! See if I care!” Rainbow yelled after the farm mare. “What about you… two…” Rainbow turned around to see the other two had left through the back of the tent, leaving her alone. “Fine! Be that way!” She huffed flying out of the entrance and into the sky, making a beeline for the airship she figured Twilight would be on, the Emerald Cutter.

The air space was mostly clear, too clear. Rainbow stopped to check her surroundings and found she was basically the only flyer above the base. Before she could even fathom why she was surrounded by Nippon rinin in blue armor. A pink mare, similar to the messenger from earlier, broke from the group to confront her.

“What are you doing?” Kaki demanded with no room for nonsense.

“I… uhh… was just taking a flight is all? What is that a crime?”

Kaki narrowed her eyes at Rainbow, and then widened when she pieced things together. “Ah, your one of the civilians, I guess you can be forgiven. Flying above the base is forbidden right now. The war may be declared over, but stray enemies could still linger in the area. You're lucky, no pony flew up and ripped out your throat. Though that does put me at odds with our security. Speaking of security, come with me.”

“Why?”

“Because if you don’t, I assume you’re an enemy in disguise and rip out your throat. Now stay in the circle and DO NOT try to fly off.”

With armed Nippon surrounding her from all sides, Rainbow much against her brash nature, complied. Flying in the middle of the escort squadron at their painfully slow pace. They were particularly as snail speed when they approached the Emerald Cutter. Another squad greeted them and were briefed on the situation and escorted them to the deck. There a robed earth pony, Rainbow would later find out was a Miko, threw some sort of dust of on her, chanted a bit, and then nodded.

The blue pegasus thought she would be home free. Rainbow as quickly proven wrong when Kaki pulled her into a room and began interrogating her. Asking her name, why she was flying, where did she plan to go.

“Rainbow Dash, future Wonderbolt, and I just wanted to go for a fly. I got into it with my friends and needed to let off some steam.”

Kaki nodded, writing every word down. “I can relate, but like I said, the war is over, but this is still a warzone with enemy combatants possibly in play. You are a civilian, untrained in the protocol, and how clean up operations go. My apologies to one of our allies… civilian heroes… but you’re not flying. Anywhere. Especially alone. You have two options, either go back to your tent or fly around with an escort.”

“That defeats the purpose of flying alone, doesn’t it?”

“Yes, but I’m not putting my neck out so you can run away from your problems.” Rainbow slumped on the table, sprawling her legs across the width. Kaki’s lips curled with displeasure, moving the pegasus’ offending leg off her report and was really about to curse her next words. “So, what’s the problem with your friends that you risked getting mauled out of the sky?”

“You keep bring that up like it was going to happen.”

“Oh, trust me, Miss Dash, it was, and you wouldn’t have seen it coming.” Kaki grinned.

Rainbow dash slammed her forelegs on the table, “Yeah, right! You guys think you’re so high and mighty! I’m one of the best flyers in Equestria! Not just a future Wonderbolt, but the best ever! Just wait and see!”

“You are aware the Wonderbolts are one of Celestia’s Elite Spec ops Task forces, right? They do more than raise money for their military branch via aerial shows. They infiltrate potential enemy nations, do off the book “Jobs,” even kill ponies if needed. They do way more than just flying. Are you even old enough to enlist?”

“This year I am,” Rainbow answered quietly, her forelegs crossed and her face flush. “I did try to apply three times for finding out there was a minimum age limit.”

Kaki’s lips curled into what could almost be a smile for her. “Amusing. Well, to help you get used to military life, why don’t your start by listening to EVERYTHING I say, no backtalk, no sass. Do that, and I’m sure you can pass basic.”

“I told you! I’m one of the best flyers in Equestria! Getting into the Wonderbolts will be a breeze!”

“Drop and give me fifty wing ups!”

“Huh, what?”

“And you failed,” Kaki said, getting out of her chair. “Being in the military means being part of a larger unit. Being told to do something, even if it doesn’t make sense at the time, or may put your life at risk. You have an ego problem, Miss Dash. I suggest you rethink your life goals.”

“Don’t think you can tell me what to do!”

Kaki merely looked at the Pegasus, “I wasn’t telling, I was suggesting. You might have more issues than I originally thought.”

“You calling me stupid now? Huh?”

“Well,” Kaki cocked her head and smirked, “You said it, not me.” The Nippon rinin stretched, letting out a long sigh. “Well, that was a good break, but I got another eight hours before I can take a dip in the hot springs. I guess I can escort you…”

“I want to see Twilight!” Rainbow interrupted, earning a very sharp glare from Kaki. “Please, I mean.”

“That’s better, but not by much. Let me check with Lady Uzikaze.” Kaki stepped outside, through the crack in the door Rainbow saw her call over a Miko. The two talked briefly, the Miko producing several scrolls and then left. A few minutes later, the same Miko and another one returned. Kaki nodded and opened the door. “You are surprisingly lucky, Miss Dash. Come with us.”

Flanked by Kaki and the first Miko, the three of them followed the Second Miko up the stairs towards the top of the ship to the level below Kira’s. Kaki stepped aside and bowed with the first Miko to the Second.

The Second Miko introduced, “I am Uzikaze. Lady Twilight Sparkle is under my supervision. I find it might be beneficial for you to visit her at this time. Please follow these guidelines: No getting her worked up, do not touch her, do not make her talk if she doesn’t want to, and keep your visit under ten minutes. Though I doubt Lady Sparkle will be able to stay awake that long, but please be aware. I will stand here for privacy; she is five doors down on the right.”

Kaki knocked Rainbow’s feet from under her, making her bow. “Show the proper respect, Miss Dash.”

“Thank you, Uzikaze…”

“Lady Uzikaze!” Kaki corrected.

“Lady Uzikaze,” Rainbow grumbled, only to smile when Uzikaze flicked Kaki on the temple.

“Ouch! What’s that for?” Kaki whined, sounding more like her sisters.

Uzikaze sighed, “How many times do you have to be told to ‘chill out’ as Queen Haibara says. You're getting married soon, you should listen to your future mother in law and Queen. Learn from your sisters…”

Rainbow Dash left the Nippon to chatter, as both Miko began berating Kaki’s behavior. The Equestrian feeling light as a feather at Kaki’s scolding by the priestess. “Ok, one, two, four, five!”

Opening the door, Rainbow barged into Twilight’s room, or so she thought. Standing in the room, dressed in a Kimono by a maid, was her, but with tan fur and a black spectrum mane. It actually reminded her of a particular book protagonist.

“Daring… Do? You’re real? What what’s going on?”

Daring exhaled deeply, the maid tightened the obi and bowed, silently leaving the awkward situation under the glances of the two pegasi before they looked at each other again.

“We need to talk.” Daring pulled Rainbow into the room and shut the door. “Let’s start with your childhood, shall we?”


In the Private Royal chambers. Kira laid sprawled on a giant red and gold-trimmed pillow, her kimono, and hair disheveled, while puffing on a pipe, making smoke rings in the air. Laying next to her in a similar state of dress and untidiness was Essex.

Her green Kimono with crystal flower patterns was coming off her shoulder, her hair braids frayed with the back length tied in a messy bun with wooden hair sticks. She to sported a Nippon pipe casually puffing alongside the Queen. Each of them grinning and laughing while exchanging stories.

Seated awkwardly between them in a midnight blue kimono with a moon pattern and nightingale flowers was Luna, a small table with a pipe and tray of tobacco presented before her. Stationed next to the princess was a heavily red robbed Miko with a fox mask with a burning incense stick, ready to light, if she decided to partake in smoking.

Luna waved away the fumes, frowning slightly. (Does it even matter? These two are like stoke stacks on a train!)

“So, let me tell you about my Great, Great, Great Grandson Kirigami, Essex. He was such a little cutie. I was in hibernation at the time, but he would scale the side of my hibernation castle and try to way me up by poking my sides. Sometimes I would awaken, my eyes barely slit, and I would just see this adorable silver colt. Oh, he was so precious. He started leaving me flowers, and I just couldn’t stand it anymore and came out of hibernation sixty years early to play with him. I had to eat three times my weight to properly stay awake, though. I got a little pudgy.”

Essex laughed hysterically, slapping Kira on the back while holding out a sake cup, which another fox mask Miko filled. “You, fat? I can’t see it! You look so great! I hope I age like you do, Kira!”

“Oh, stop,” She blushed, waving daintily with her claws, “You have so much more youth to look forward to.” Kira dumped her burned tobacco into an ashtray. The Miko beside Luna immediately, without asking, packed in another batch of tobacco and lit it. Kira took a puff like she never stopped. “Hmm, this is a good blend. What is it?”

“It’s Ah… let me think… that place south of Europona!” Essex guessed with flush cheeks. “Purkkshiha…hahah! I can’t say it.” She laughed, falling on her pillow. “Ah, this is so soft…”

“It’s an import, my lady, a Turkoman.” The Miko answered. “Shall I add it to the list?”

Kira nodded, taking a long drag from her pipe, “Yes, if you would.”

“Very well,” Replied the Miko, pulling a scroll with other listed Tobacco blends and writing down. “It is done. I shall ensure it is stocked milady.”

Kira reached over and pulled the Miko into her embrace, the Priestess mask fell to the floor, revealing her face, which looked remarkably like Kira’s, but with green eyes. “Luna! This is one of my granddaughters, in case you couldn’t tell. I don’t know why they insist on hiding their adorable faces, but eh, gotta let them do what they want.”

“Great Mother, I am merely a branch member, you don’t ughhhh!” The Miko’s words were cut off as Kira squeezed her tightly.

“Now, now, you’re all my family. Sheesh go to sleep for a century, and they make all these stupid rules. You were but a little tike the last time I was awake, how old are you? And what was your name again? My brains slowing down a bit these days.”

The Miko dropped to her belly the formal greeting pose with her head down, and her legs stretched forward. “I am Tanikaze Ki Shiroyama, age 103 awake. I spent most of the last centuries sleeping waiting for the chance to serve you after my training.”

Kira stroked her chin, “Hmm, a lot of Kaze's nowadays must have been a trend. Wait, I remember that year of the wind thing. Anyway, I’m going to call you Tani if that’s ok.”

“It is perfectly fine! Henceforth, I will present myself as Tani! Thank you for gifting me this new name, Great Mother Queen.”

“No, I was just… oh right, ‘divine naming’ completely forgot about that.” Kira let out a deep sigh, gulping down a whole cup of sake. With a half-cocked smirk, she said, “Take it from me, Luna, don’t let any pony talk you into becoming an official deity. Being a ‘god’ is tiresome. Especially when they keep making up new rules every century.”

Luna partook of a cup of sake, taking side glanced at Essex, who snoozed on the floor. Her pipe thankfully safety retrieved by one of the Miko. “I’ll keep that in mind if I ever decide to ascend to godhood.” The attending Miko refilled her cup, and she took a sip. “So… you and Essex seem close…”

Kira merely shrugged. “I suppose. I did train her.”

“Right, so you do notice she looks remarkably, no scratch that, exactly like Sixes minus being a mare of course, right? I'm not crazy here?”

The Nippon ruler set down her sake cup and chewed on the end of her pipe, giving the Moon Princess a cockeyed look. “I don’t know, do I and everypony else seem blind? Not to cause offense, old friend, but it is obvious.”

“So is she… Sixes… dau…” Luna hesitated, unable to say it aloud.

Kira was not so inclined, “You think she’s his daughter? HA! No wonder you were worried! No, no.” She shook her head. “Essex is Sixes’s sister, according to her, at least. I’m mean those of us from the cave have any memories from the factory.” Kira’s expression softened. “But this isn’t the first case… isn’t it? The doctors didn’t care if siblings of the same gender were in the group, but opposite genders were a big no, no, for their experiment. There have been several cases actually. Lots of heartbreak. A lot of the factory rinin that left were ones with siblings and lovers that didn’t remember them. Might as have been dead, right?”

“Did she try to tell him? Sixes I mean? Did Essex try to tell him they were siblings.”

Soberly Kira stared at the snoozing rinin, a sad smile marring her previously happy face. “No. Essex confessed to me years ago. Before the sealing, of course, that she tried when she came back to Equestria, but replace tried with, thought about it, and thought about with too afraid and you get the picture, right? Can’t blame her. Like I said, there were others, and it caused… friction.”

Slowly sipping her sake, Luna waited for a refill, stared at her reflection while contemplating her next words, thinking of Topaz and Emerald. He never told Emerald they were siblings, and very few others knew that fact. In fact, she didn’t know if he did to any pony else other than her. “I don’t want to call her cowardly, but what stopped her?”

Kira waved with her one of her extra right forelegs, alternating between her pipe and drink. “Who really knows, but if I were to guess, it was watching others try to rebuild their lost bonds with cave rinin. I watched it happen a few times. A factory rinin would confront their sibling or friend, start talking about the past and beg them to remember. The cave rinin would stare confused and say they don’t remember. Of course, that was never the end. Some were so desperate they hounded the cave pony, trying to make them remember, telling them stories of the past, acting familiar. It caused problems, those from the cave were frustrated and would finally shout: That’s pony is dead! Or something like that and well… their tolerance had waned if you catch my meaning.” Kira took a drag from her pipe, visibly relaxing as she exhaled. “That is the tame version, of course. There were fights, harsh words, some requested transfers to far off remote posts, and some just left. Dark times.”

Puckering her lips, Luna blew air between her teeth before finally levitating her untouched pipe, Tani lit the bowl, and she breathed in deeply and exhaled. “I can’t remember the last time I did this. Might have been fifteen hundred years? No, not quite the long. I think I did something similar with a Saddle Arabian King and his harem once.” She smiled, laughing at the memory. “Celestia was there too, and the King invited us to join him and his five wives for a night.”

“Did you?”

Luna merely chuckled. “Well, ah… well, you won’t find the answer in the history books.”

Essex suddenly sprang up! Looking frantically around as she patted the around her cushion blabbering in Clydesdale with tears building under her eyes. “Céard, cad, fabht? Seamróg? Cá bhfuil mo bhuachaill? Seamrog?!” Kira gently wrapped a foreleg around Essex and pulled her close, whispering soft motherly coos into her ear.

“Shhh… there, there, still have that dream?” Essex nuzzled against Kira like a child to a mother, the Miko adverted their eyes, less their jealous stares are known. Not that they weren’t.

“Yeah, I’m sorry. It’s childish, I know. It’s an old dream too, or rather a nightmare, I guess.”

“What me to take a look?” Luna offered warmly. “It is under my job description.” The Princess of the Night smiled warmly, offering an out a hoof, which Essex took.

“When you have time. If you don’t mind that is.” Essex retracted her claw, staring at it with a mute expression and then broke from Kira’s embrace, tidying up her Kimono and nodded to the two rulers. “I think I spoiled the mood, so I’m going to go… lie down or find Seamrog… I mean, Shamrock. Sorry, I’m not used to sake… I guess.”

The laugh lines on Kira’s face stretched, she stood to hug Essex and patted her on the back of the neck. “Come by and visit anytime. I’ll have a different brand of tobacco to try, feel free to bring Shamrock. I got some new grandkids to show off also. A proper introduction is in order.”

Essex hugged the former monster pony tightly, saluted Luna, and shuffled her way out of the room. Her movements were awkward, with the kimono sleeves dragging on the floor. Upon opening the door, the three mares were treated to a surprise, by Celestia standing in the hallway outside, dressed in a white Kimono with flames shaped like sunflowers printed on it. Perhaps most surprising was the Sun Princess’s hair. It was damp and tied in a sloppy bun/ponytail.

“What?” Celestia asked them, leaning her head back as Essex grabbed for her hair. “What?”

“Your hair…” Essex gasped, staring like a child seeing the latest toy and quite rudely, grabbed a rogue strand of hair between Celestia’s eyes. “It’s not floating! It’s so silky too!”

Inside the room, Luna and Kira tried to suppress their giggles, Kira cheating by using a fan, while Luna covered her mouth with her hoof. “Take no offense sister, she’s been drinking.”

Celestia’s nostrils wrinkled. “So, she has, the alcohol on her breath could burn the hairs from my nose.” Stepping aside, she let the rinin stumble out of the room. Miko flanking the door assisted Essex standing either side of her guiding her down the hallway.

With Essex taking care off, Celestia entered the room, the door closing on its own as Kira’s hidden guards took over for the Miko. It almost made her want to cry at the difference in security between their nations. That said, as she took the cushion Essex had once occupied, she could feel the eyes of the six other shinobi hiding in the ceiling on her.

(I guess I enjoy my privacy too much to let my ponies dot on me this much.)

The table that had been set out of Essex was quickly replaced with a new one containing a fresh bottle of Sake, a pipe, and rice cakes with various fruits stuck in the centers. Giving thanks to the Miko who brought it. Celestia took a rice cake and ate it vigorously, enjoying the taste of plum hungrily licking up the stray specs of rice caking her lips. Next, she indulged in the sake, all but chugging it down.

With a loud, “Ah…” she wiped her mouth, sitting relaxed and settling down on her belly.

“Feels good to take the mask off?” Kira chirped, slamming another bottle on Celestia’s tray.

“Yes!” Celestia exclaimed, years of age washing off her as she smiled brighter than the sun. Her expression was unrefined, completely informal as she sprawled across her cushion like a lout.

Across from the two, the casual, yet still upright, Luna looked nostalgically at her sister, her smile as broad as the night sky. “I haven’t seen this side of you in a while.”

Celestia paused mid drink, already working on her third bottle, popping the mouth of the bottle from her lips, and sighed her cheeks a drunken pink. “Kira… hick!... said when I… hick… visited… I had to… drop the Princess act…hick!... it’s really… relaxing.”

The Sun Princess began to nuzzle against her pillow, her eyes easily giving into sleep as she let out a long yawn. “I thought… I… was… rested… but… I forgot…sake… sleepy…sleep…Zzzzzz.”

Calling for a blanket, Luna laid it over sister patting Celestia’s damp hair. “How long has it been since I’ve seen this mop.” Tilting her head, Luna brought a tuff of Celestia’s mane closer. “I thought it would turn pink again if she was ever this tired.”

“One of the mysteries of the world, I guess,” Kira toasted.

“Yeah,” Luna replied after clinking cups, eying the ‘goddess of Nippon,’ “One of them, but you might be another.”

Kira closed her eyes, shrugging while smiling. “I guess. No matter what ponies call me, Queen, Goddess, I’m just me.” The white rinin’s smile turned vicious as did her eyes, burning a deep red with hunger. “I wouldn’t mind testing myself against you two. Some validation would be nice.”

The Moon Princess chuckled, adverting her eyes. “Well… as much as I would enjoy that myself, I’ve had enough intensity for a while. Maybe enough for five years or a hundred.”

They shared a laugh, both eager to fulfill the offered challenge when they were in better shape. For today both chose to let the hours slip by, making small talk and catching up. Which was hard to do as both had been sealed not that long ago.

Luna spoke of the new inventions and ideas she experienced since returning, telling Kira of her encounter with Applejack the eighth and the invasion of Canterlot and her dealings in Nippon and Germane. Kira, in return, spoke about her life after marriage and becoming Queen of Nippon and her struggle to fit into the new strange culture she married into. Speaking at length of the rebellion, she fought to keep her husband in power.

“After my marriage, several large clans rebelled against the ruling family before I even had my first child. They tried to assassinate me on my honeymoon too. You can guess my response.”

“I don’t suppose you offered a compensate claw and tried to win them over with words?” Luna cringed, knowing that was probably not the answer.

“I did try.” Kira lamented. “But they took my generosity for meekness and saw me as weak. So, I went with plan B. Care to guess?”

Luna shivered at the gleam in Kira’s eye. Remembering her old name of Killing Perfection. “No, imagine you did your name proudly.”

“Yes, I took the heads of the families, burned their castles, and seized their lands. I did leave the families alone. I declared they were not to be harmed or looked down on.” Kira smiled sadly. “For what it was worth, I guess. To keep my husband from having them perform hara-kiri, I banished them. I hear their descendants were part of an attack from another nation, but that was during one of my hibernations.”

“Well, looking around the room, things certainly changed. So how many kids did you end up having?”

Kira scratched her chin, “Hmm, that’s a good question. I think I stopped at a hundred years old? There were some breaks, but my husband and I really went at it, even into his later years. It was a hot m… no, I was a grandmother by then… well, my looks didn’t match my husband’s age. So that made him look very appealing to the populace. Lots of vitality and stuff like that. I didn’t really get it, but by age one fifty I gave up the crown officially to my first son, Shinichi, I think he was…ah… Tani?”

“130,” The Miko supplied.

“Huh, I thought I had him earlier than that, then again, the civil war did drag on for a while.”

Sharing a laugh, the two rulers clinked drinks again, Celestia roused awake by their joyful mood and joined in for another. Now all three of them were laughing with flush cheeks when a soft knock rapped against the bamboo door. The three settled down, Kira nodded, a Miko opened the door to reveal a shinobi.

“Report.”

The shinobi bowed to the floor,” My lady and honored guests, we have found them.”

All three rulers stood up, detoxifying tonics presented to them and drunk faster than liquor. The royal sisters were acutely excited.

“Take us to them! Fetch Cadence as well!” Celestia ordered as they rushed out of the door. All but galloping down the hallway.

The Crystal Ponies have been found.


Stat Card Celestia
Stat Card Luna

PreviousChapters Next