• Published 2nd Nov 2016
  • 2,214 Views, 217 Comments

Night Patrol 2: Awakening - Foxgear



A thousand years she was in the moon, now she's back and living in a strange new world. Her friends and comrades gone, nothing but dust in the dirt. With only her sister Luna look towards the future, but the past keeps calling her back.

  • ...
5
 217
 2,214

PreviousChapters Next
Beyond the Brink

Night Patrol 2 ch 66

By Foxgear


Acting Night Patrol Commander Gloves felt a disturbing presence, and he wasn’t the only one. They all could feel it. A blatant, flamboyant, flaunting of magical power that even the densest dumbass could sense. It caused the very air to tingle with energy, and it was getting closer.

“What the report on the unicorns?” He asked his wife and secretary, Fleetfoot.

“We’ve restrained over half of our unicorn staff. The other half that didn’t go berserk out and attack are suffering from extreme migraines as if their own magic is trying to roast their horns. The only cure has been to place anti-magic rings on them.”

“I see. What of the towns?”

“Reports are varying, but the same thing is happening all over the country. Local forces can deal with it, but we have no leads to what’s causing this.”

The night had been quiet for the most part. Word came back that Taskforce 444 successfully regrouped with the Clover, and everypony was on their way home. Things were starting to settle down as the tension left everypony, but then, out of nowhere.

The unicorns attacked!

It was a surprise, but when the attackers were surrounded by highly trained ponies, they were contained before any fatalities happened. That said, many were injured. And as word came in, the event of no pony being killed was less and less likely.

If all that wasn’t enough to deal with, sensors picked up a magical signature flying right towards them. It was so off the scales, they had nothing to compare it to. Not even the royal sisters’ numbers were comparable. It was like comparing a lake to the ocean.

Even with all that power, whatever was coming took its time. And Gloves did not mind at all; it gave him time to prepare, don his armor, and kiss his wife one last time.

He didn’t know if it was bad luck that most if not all the heavy hitters were away right now, but as acting Commander, it was his duty to face this threat. Even if he had little chance against it. That was why he made sure others were watching through the recording device on his helmet. That way, they could report what he would most likely be unable to.

With one last kiss goodbye and a long embrace, Gloves flew off the balcony with every rinin in the castle. Everypony else, like his wife, was to hide in the underground bunkers.

“Get ready!” He barked, filling his gauntlets with power.

They could see the source of the magic now. It was coming, and now turning… and… “Where the hell is it going?” Gloves asked as they watched the supposed threat veer off towards the cemetery.

Veering towards the UFO, Gloves licked his chops nervously. Wondering if this was the best course of action. Maybe it was just passing by? They could be poking the bear here.

“Hold back, and observe. Let’s see what’s going on.” He ordered his wing as they landed on the ground. Deliberately they landed at the entrance of the graveyard. Slowly the rinin advanced, hopping along with the tombstones. The source of the magic was like a beacon in the fog, leading them right to it.

Peering around the hulking grave of P-Rex, Gloves looked across the way to see the being clearly for the first time. At first, he thought to classify it as an alicorn. Yet, its insectoid wings and crooked horn threw him off. Its coat was a dark pinkish color, almost raspberry. Its hair was ethereal, floating weightlessly in the air, the color a deep blackish purple with burning white sparkles like exploding suns.

Steam was billowing off its body like smoke from a train. Gloves swore he could hear the creature’s flesh popping like bacon on a skillet if he listened close enough.

“What is that thing?” He uttered softly, observing as it stood before Emerald Cutter’s grave. Its head was bowed, almost like it was paying respects to the fallen monster pony.

What the creature did next made every last Rinin’s blood run cold and then boil. The Alicorn-like being used its magic to pull Emerald’s coffin from the ground. The metal vault was ripped open with no regard, and the last bed of the legendary Green rinin was thoroughly desecrated as the lid was opened for the first time in over a thousand years.

“My, your very well-preserved old friend.” The creature set the coffin on the ground, pressing its hoof to Emerald’s chest. As Gloves and the others began to move, Minerva leaned down and whispered.

“Wake up, Viride Secure.”

A vivid emerald light shined from the coffin, Emerald’s corpse pulsing with power and life. Her long blade-like horn emerged from the opening, followed by the rest of her. Shining like a crystal pony, with beautiful wings of crystal feathers.

“Emerald!” One of the other rinin muttered, his charge coming to a halt. Gloves pressed forward; he didn’t know Emerald very well, vaguely remembering her form. Those memories suddenly became sharper, more transparent, and he recalled a green pony with a heart-warming smile greeting him after being freed from the factory.

His own charge faltered as the memories he suppressed after her death reemerged. “Emerald Cutter… Miss Emmy… is that… really you?” He asked, choking up.

Her gaze was sharp as a hawk, her eyes filled with confusion. Like a newborn, Emerald inspected her surroundings, beginning with herself, studying her hoof with interest only to be startled when it morphed into a claw.

“What…” Her voice was coarse as sand, and it pained her to speak. Minerva wrapped a wing around her.

“Don’t worry, I’ll explain everything, Viride.” The Mother of Unicorns looked at the gaggle of awestruck rinin with pity. “Stay in good health… Gloves.” She said before teleporting away.

Flummoxed, Gloves could only sit and gap at the empty grave. Continuing to stare at it for a long time.


“Well, I guess there are some benefits to not being diverse.” Sixes commented aboard the Germane flagship, Otto. Staffed entirely by earth ponies. He and the rest of his companions found themselves at the mercy of their prospected enemy, turned ally, the Germanians.

Life was full of twists, to think Fury just got done helping Trifecta smuggle a turncoat out of the country after they illegally infiltrated to steal classified military secrets. Yes, life was indeed strange like that. Also, he was not putting any of that on any scrap of paper.

The current situation was as follows after escaping the Peace Summit. Celestia and D’Arcy were in critical condition. The Prench Queen beaten within an inch of her life by Titania, and Celestia getting pot-shot by Twilight, for reasons no pony understood.

Master and student had drifted apart over the years to the point, even Luna was raising concerns about it. But Sixes doubted Twilight was ready to just outright attack Celestia. Then there was Cobalt’s behavior and the other unicorns, all of them acting as if they were in a trance.

The black rinin found this mystery the third priority, however. Below staying alive, and above that, getting home to his wife, Luna.

One major problem with that, he was heading in the opposite direction.

Naturally, the Germanians would want to return home first, and this being their ship and it was their doctors tending to his sister-in-law. Sixes couldn’t abandon Celestia to the winds of fate. He would, but then Luna would be mad at him.

So here he was on the bridge, beside Titania, who was acting captain of the vessel. Her father resigning himself to his quarters. Titania’s number two, Zeppelin, stood staunchly beside her commander in what he assumed was the naval uniform. He only hesitated to call it that because there was a lot of black and leather.

Tossing the useless observation aside, Sixes addressed the elephant in the room. It’s only been six hours; they might as well talk about it.

“Your father knows something.” He stated aloud.

Titania’s expression didn’t change for a solid minute, but he could tell she was picking her words carefully. However, she seemed to give up, as she sighed and said, “My father always knows more than he lets on. He possesses knowledge vaster than the entire Germanian national library, or so he always told me as a child.”

“I want to talk to him privately.”

“No.”

“I’ll compromise. You can sit in, but don’t interrupt.”

Titania gave him a sideways glance from her chair. “You have a lot of brass to make any demands.”

“And I didn’t have to carry both you and your father out of that hell. Think of this as returning that debt.”

“I’m sure we could have gotten out of there just fine. Don’t forget, Zeppelin, covered our retreat.”

“So did Fury.”

Titania opened her mouth for another retort, but Zeppelin surprisingly cut her off, “Ma’am, perhaps you’re getting into the weeds as they say? While I have faith Lord Kaiser will speak when he is ready, time may not allow for it later. Strike while the iron is hot as it were.”

“Fine,” Titania said curtly, sliding out of her seat. “But I will interfere if I perceive any threats.”

Sixes could only eye the bandaged mare. One of her forelegs was set in a cast and held in a sling. Yet, he could tell she meant what she said, even if the outcome was obvious.

“If it will bring you comfort, Miss Zeppelin can sit in as well.”

Titania turned up her nose. “I will inform LT Zeppelin afterward with a formal report. Until then, I need a capable pony at the helm. Why don’t you assist her, Commander Fury? Build some comradery or whatever. Somehow, I think we’ll be together longer than any of us plan to.”

Fury looked to him for confirmation, and Sixes nodded, telling his long-time comrade to stay. While he followed Titania down to her father’s quarters.


The odd pair found the Kaiser casually sipping on a glass of Grog. Glass was liberal; it was a pint. So typical Germanian. The three empty Jägermeister’s were something else.

“Father… are you ok? We knocked for… along time.” The Kaiser’s disheveled appearance and swaying were rough for Titania to see. Her father was a social drinker. He never drank in private. Yet, here he was far over his limit already. Titania’s concern was so great, she dropped her tough act. “Daddy?”

Kaiser Hades smiled loopily at his daughter, embracing her when she was in reach, or she caught him falling out of his chair. Depends on your point of view. Affectionally he rubbed her back as if she had just come into his room after a bad dream.

“My girl… my Wunderbar girl… such a strong girl… with so much to live for…” Much to the awkwardness of both Titania and Sixes, the Kaiser. The great leader of Germane began to weep. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, I thought she was gone… if I had known she could come back… I would have done things differently, so differently. So much time wasted on petty pursuits when such a threat was around… forgive me…Great Mother Gaia.”

The Kaiser began to rant very fast in a language neither could understand.

“Do you know what he’s saying?” Sixes inquired, unable to even guess the dialect.

Titania frowned, straining her ears, “It’s a very, very old version of Germanian. It was used back before Germane unified and was the Gothic tribe lands. It’s a dead language. HE should not even be able to speak it!” She stressed.

Perhaps it was being married to the second oldest pony on the planet or merely being around long-lived beings, but something occurred to Sixes. The rinin got upfront with the Kaiser, with narrowed eyes

“Who are you?”

“Tertio Magnam Terra Mater Filium,” The Kaiser replied, earning confused stares from his daughter and Sixes. So, he spoke a more modern tongue, “I am Dritter Enkel der Erde Mutter.”

Sixes looked to Titania, “What’s he saying?”

“He said he’s the third grandson of the Earth mother. Whatever that means. Look, he’s drunk. He’s just spouting nonsense.”

“Or maybe the truth,” Sixes countered. “Is your father a heavy drinker?”

“No,” She replied curtly. “Father has a set limit. He even has a lackey whose only job is to knock drinks out of his hoof if he even tries to go over it.”

“Sounds like a pony with secrets that can’t hold his liquor.”

“Well, yeah, he’s the Kaiser of Germane!”

Sixes ignored Titania’s retort, looking the intoxicated pony in the eyes again. “How old are you? Really?”

The Kaiser burped and swayed, seemingly thinking hard. “3… 4,595 years old?”

Sixes whistled, “Really? You’re older than Celestia herself? Ok, say I buy that. Have I ever met you under a different name?”

“Hoofenstien… I was Doctor Hoofenstien… I made you, 6666…”

You could have heard a pin drop after the Kaiser’s chair stopped clattering as Sixes grabbed him by the neck and slammed him against the wall!

“That’s a fucking funny joke! Too bad I’m not laughing!” Sixes snarled, tightening his claw around the pony’s throat. “If that’s true, how are you still alive! We killed you at the battle of Maredor!”

Titania screamed, “Stop it! Let him go!” But her words were left unheeded. And with the soundproofing of the room, no pony was coming to help, so the weakened Kaiser’s daughter could only awkwardly hit Sixes’ scaly hide with her foreleg. Her attacks doing more harm to herself than him.

“I was researching immortality… it may not have been the kind I wanted, but I did succeed in a crude form.”

“And that is?”

“Well, there isn’t a scientific word for it, but if I am to label the process… Forced Reincarnation? It’s a fascinating thing. Every time I die, my soul merely inhabits a new vessel. To be specific, I jump to a fetus still in the womb, and thus I am reborn again. The troubling part is having to live a new life from birth to death. With every jump, I gain new personality traits from upbringing, and my memories get further and further buried.”

“And how in the hell did you discover this power?” Sixes asked, setting the Kaiser down.

The Kaiser chuckled, returning to his chair, “There was no discovery. I was merely born with this power; I am the Third Grandson of the Earth Mother. I’m merely a half step away from divinity compared to ponies nowadays. My research was to replicate true immortality, as I have technically died more times than I can remember.”

“Wait, wait!” Titania barked, rubbing her temple. “Are you saying, your Gaia’s, the Great Mother Gaia, Mother of all Earth ponies? You’re saying you’re her biological grandson?”

“At this point, I share little DNA with Grandmother, but in spirit, yes.” The old stallion looked solemnly into his glass of Grog. “At this point, I don’t even remember my own name. My memories degrade by the day, it seems. Even events from a thousand years ago, when I was the pony Hoofenstien, are blurry. Only when I liquor myself up does the past become lucid for a time.”

Setting his pint aside, the Kaiser looked straight into Sixes’ eyes. “I predicted you’d come sooner than later, so I drank myself silly, so I could spill the truth. I’m beginning to sober up now, so I must say what I must before my foolish pride and resentment get in the way.”

Inhaling deeply, Hades said, “I need your help, Sixes. I have no right to ask, but tis not the life of this old fool, I wish you to save, but that of my daughter, Titania and my beloved. Please, save them from that purple bitch! Minerva, the Mother of Unicorns!”

Sixes’ response was a thousand eye stare. He knew of who the Kaiser was talking about but didn’t know them per se. It was saying this is the King of X. But not knowing anything else about them. Instead of trying to understand, Sixes chose to cut to the chase.

“Alright, what’s her goal? Was she behind the unicorn’s attack? I suppose that should be obvious, but how can she do that? What spell or magic is she using to control them?”

The Kaiser just laughed, “A mind control spell? Is that what you think this is? It’s nothing that mundane. No, in fact, that would be overkill. She’s the Mother of unicorns! Their creator! They were born from her! She doesn’t need magic or spells to get them to do what she wants! All she has to do is ask or rather order it! It’s her authority or her right as their Mother and what child would refuse their Mother?”

“Father, what are the limits of this authority? How far does her influence spread?”

He shrugged, “Every unicorn in the world? It’s easier to stop thinking of Minerva, similar to Celestia and Luna. She’s something greater. Those two sisters are demi-gods. Minerva is a god.” He stressed.

“But she was killed once before, how?”

“Ask Solaris if we could.” The Kaiser spat. “All I know is she did something at the last battle. It caused all the alicorns to crystalize and scatter across the planet. I see that look; you know what I’m talking about.”

Sixes nodded, “In the War of the North, we had an encounter with a revived Alicorn, Vulcan. He took over the dead body of King Sombra, but we managed to take him down… barely.”

“So, placing a gem inside of a corpse is the key? No, that can’t be right. If that were the case, then Emerald Cutter and Overheat would have revived. There must be another factor…” The Kaiser mumbled before jumping out of his seat. “The presence of another Alicorn! We must hurry home! I’m sure she’ll be after that!”

“After wha…” The entire ship shook. Zeppelin screamed over the intercom for Titania to get back to the bridge.

The trio wasted no time as alarms blare. The germane soldiers looked nervous as they ready to deploy. Arriving at the command post, the three join Zeppelin, Fury, and Obara at staring out the window. The sky was hazy purplish red, but that wasn’t the concerning part. No, what was is the hundreds of monsters outside.

“By Gaia’s teats! What has she done!”

“Sixes…”

“I can see it, Fury,” he replied solemnly. “All those bastards are from Tartarus.”

Sixes didn’t need to know the entire roster to realize all the boss monsters were free. Already leading hordes of their underlings across the lands. The radio pony set his headset off to the side, letting the screams of ponies on the ground and sky play in the silent cabin.

Unicorns were attacking every pony they came across, fighting alongside the monsters. Countries were in disarray and chaos. The deployed armies were caught by surprise and were fighting back, but there was no organized response.

“The 27th fleet as engaged a horde of Gargoyles! Taskforce 12 is dealing with Thunderbirds, and DD group 9 is defending Rosburg from Rocs. Multiple ground units are engaged with a horde comprised of Manticores, other report Ghoul ponies appearing from the No lands. A scout is reporting Ogres and Cyclops marching in an organized formation. Prench forces are rallying around our units to fight against the monsters and…”

“That’s enough… we get it.” The Kaiser said solemnly, looking to Sixes. “I’ll ask again, will you help me?”

Sixes hung his head, “You ask as if I have a choice.”


With a groggy groan, Duchess Luna Selene Solaris Evernight awoke in what she knew to be Celestia’s bed. Her movements sluggish, her body screaming for coffee and water. One to feed her not addiction, and two because she was seriously thirsty. Yet, when she looked around, she found herself alone.

Which was unusual. Especially after fainting. There’s usually be a nurse or one of her family members sitting patiently by the bedside. Yet this time, there was no pony.

“Well, I do keep telling them to stop being so overprotective.” Luna slowly climbed out of bed, her legs barely supporting her weight. Why was she so weak? Furthermore, the air had a strange taste to it. “The sun should be out by now. Why is it so dark?”

Stepping onto the balcony, Luna was greeted with a purple/red sky. The likes of which she’s never seen before. The sun was barely visible in the sky. There was hardly an outline of it, let alone any warmth or light. There was another problem.

“Why are you out, my moon?” She asked the celestial body, willing it to set, but it did not move or respond to her will. After clearing the sleep from her eyes, Luna was appalled to see her usually pure white moon was a sinister blood red.

A Blood Moon.

Luna slowly stepped back inside, shaken to her core. A red moon was a bad omen, an evil omen. It was a sign of great disaster and that the control of her beloved celestial symbol was gone. With it a vast swath of her powers.

“Cadence! Cadence, are you here?” Luna screamed, stumbling into the hall. The usually bright castle was dark, the halls cold and lifeless. “Anypony?” She pleaded with a crack in her voice.

Noticing the signs of the Fear Curse, Luna cast the counterspell, the irrational emotions leaving her. To an extent. She was actually afraid, but not enough to become a whimpering child.

“Whose there?” She demanded. “I’m beyond such minor hexes!”

“I suppose I should have expected this much from you.”

Ready for a fight, Luna dripped into a battle stance as the sound of clattering hooves drew closer. Her ears twitching at the pair of approaching footsteps. One had an odd rhythm to it.

‘Clop, clop, clop… clop, clop, clop…’

The odd rhythm built upon Luna’s unease, but when that gleaning sword-like horn emerged from the shadows. Luna’s heart sunk, and she indeed became a scared little filly.

“Emerald… Cutter?” Luna couldn’t believe what she was seeing. Her beloved friend, alive once more. The large pulsing scar on Emmy’s barrel only reinforced it was her.

“Aren’t you happy to see her again?” The other pony asked, amused. So focused on her revived friend, Luna barely noticed the pinkish pony. At first, she thought it was an alicorn, but the crooked horn and insectoid wings had her thinking it was some mutant changeling.

“I… I won’t be fooled! Emerald Cutter is dead! And you! I don’t know what you are, but I do not respond well to foolish tricks!”

“You’re not making this very fun, Luna, but I urge you to settle down. Stress can be so bad while pregnant.”

“Pregnant?” Stuttered the Duchess, holding her stomach.

“Is it really so surprising? Here let me, ease that tension.” A peaceful feeling overcame the Lunar Alicorn, her body becoming as limp as pudding. Practically becoming a puddle of goo on the floor.

“Now, let’s get you to bed, my dear. You are carrying the future of our race, after all.”

Luna could barely put up a struggle as she was wrapped in her blankets like a child being put to bed. Try as she might, the more she fought, the more tired she became. The effects only strengthened as the mysterious mare stroked her hair while humming.

Vaguely Luna registered the sight of her natural blue hair falling into her vision but lacked the awareness to be concerned.

“Who are you…” Luna looked to the Emerald look-alike, who had yet to speak. “Both of you.”

“Just think of me as your Mother or perhaps an aunt, if you so prefer. And that over there is Viride Secure. We will be attending to you. Keeping you and your child safe.”

“Save from what?” Luna found it hard to put her thoughts together and was feeling terribly weaker by the second. Between the fluttering of her eyes, Viride’s mane took on ethereal characteristics.

“You need not worry about that or anything. By the time you become a mother again, everything will be fine. So just go to sleep, my sleeping beauty, go to sleep.”

“I’m not… I won’t… Sixes…” With that last utter, Luna fell into a deep slumber.


“I’m afraid I don’t understand your plan, Minerva. Also, must I keep this vessel?” Viride complained as they left Luna’s room. “That little one is weak now, but once she gives birth, her strength will return. The power I stole from her will vanish.”

“That won’t be in eleven to twelve months, relax. So long as you put on Emerald Cutter’s persona when with Luna, she will be too mentally weak to oppose my plans, plus her natural instincts will not allow her to endanger her child. Even after the birth. Besides, it’s not like there is another available vessel around anyway. You’ll just have to cope.”

Viride frowned at being stuck in this strange body. She set it aside to readdress her main concerns. “I still don’t understand why you’re taking the risk of keeping those two alive! They are more likely to fight you than join you!”

“Oh hush, they just need some time to be convinced. Besides, I’m not some savage monster that would kill pregnant mothers. Our race is in such decline right now that it would be a waste to dispose of them.”

Viride transformed her hoof into a claw repeatedly, still fascinated by the trait. “I’ll admit this body isn’t so bad, better than yours at least. How long will you be like that?” Viride asked the Mother of magic as her flesh continued to hiss and steam.

“Not long at this rate, the compatibility is atrociously low,” Minerva stated disappointedly. “I much preferred my last body. In fact, I wish I had your body Viride. It’s evolved into something… more than a mere Alicorn.”

“That’s funny coming from a purist like you. What caused this change?”

“Claws or rather thumbs are so handy, besides that. I realized that perfection is a fallacy. Alicorns maybe the pinnacle of pony kind, but there are new peaks. In the past, only the dragons and a select few could challenge us, so it stands to reason that if we take the dragons’ power for ourselves, what will be left to stand in our way?”

“If you say so, I can certainly bear with this vessel for now, but why let all those creatures free and let Carmilla out?”

Minerva laughed lightly, “I’m taking a page from my sister’s book, separating the wheat from the shaft and all those earthly sayings she spouted. Before, I let tradition and pedigree ruin our tribe and our cause. This time, only the worthy, regardless of linage, will be allowed into my fold.”

“And what of the Pegasi and the Earth ponies? Or the thestrals and Kirin? All the other sub-ponies? Will they be welcomed?” Viride stared narrowly at her former Queen and friend. “Or those Rinin? The Pony Dragons.”

“Except for the Pegasi, all that prove their worthiness will be welcomed.”

“Oh? You’re holding quite the grudge,” Viride laughed. “Not that I can blame you. Tempest did betray us at the eleventh hour. I’m surprised you’d let Gaia’s children off the hook, though.”

“You will come to see in time as I have that Gaia got it right the first time, and it was us who were blind,” Minerva said, confusing Viride.

“Huh, I’m still not convinced, but if you say so. Now…” Viride floated the Amulets in their possession out of her saddlebag. “Who shall I awaken first?” She flaunted the black one playfully in Minerva’s face. “Perhaps your lover?”

Minerva quickly snatched the gem from Viride’s aura. “Leave Romulus Rex to me. I will awaken him in due time. He’ll just get in the way at this stage. As for who to awaken next, I have a special task for you, Viride. In Germane, there is another one like you, an Amulet already inside a vessel. I believe it Ifrit or Helios. The vessel’s name was Overheat, and he was sealed inside of orb of slag with Luna’s doppelganger Lumi.”

“You go into such detail. Are you sure these mortals haven’t corrupted you?”

“I can’t help but spout what I know, now can I? While Overheat is the primary objective, feel free to awaken any of the others if a proper vessel is located.”

“Of, course my Queen.”

Viride leaped through the nearest window with a quick bow, blasting off like a green shooting star across the red sky.

“The Alicorn of Wind and Squalls indeed,” Minerva commented as Viride was already gone from sight. “Now, what to do about Cadence and the other two? Actually, that odd trio is the least of my concerns.

Looking to the east, Minerva could almost feel the presence of the pony she feared the most in this new era. The Goddess of Nippon herself, the most powerful Rinin on the planet, Kira Perfecta Shiroyama.

As her current vessel continued to pop and steam, the flesh degrading faster by the minute. Minerva knew in her state victory was far from ensured. In fact, it was impossible. Good thing she had the foresight to prepare backups.

“Twilight is a bit out of reach, even commanding her back here, it will still be days, and I don’t think I have that. I guess I’ll have to go with plan B. Time to visit Appaloosa.”


In the faraway land of Nippon, in the heights of the royal castle. The living goddess of Nippon was leisurely at rest in her room. Curled around her granddaughter Miso like a dragon around a pile of gold. This was not special treatment for her youngest descendent. Any of her children were free to cuddle with her. They were just too uptight too.

That’s why Kira loved the untainted spirit of Miso. The young filly’s mind wasn’t poisoned by the traditions and foolish ideals of her adult relatives. She loved her children, she truly did, but Kira grew tired of their worship and longed to simply have a family once more.

“Oh, little one, never lose this childishness.” Kira purred while combing Miso’s hair. She invested a lot of time making sure the little one would rebel against the family’s cultist ideal of her. It was most likely a losing battle. All ponies mature as they grow. Inevitable as the sun rose, Miso would outgrow cuddles and playing with dolls, but for now. Kira would enjoy the child’s whimsy.

Tying the snoozing Miso’s hair into a loose ponytail, Kira felt a restlessness overtake her. Forcing her to leave the confront and warmth of her pillow and look out to the sky. The ominous purple red color was certainly new, and the wind carried with it a scent of danger.

Much to her pride, the guardians of Nippon were organizing, and without a decree from her. It was the right call to force… convince… Kusanagi to continue to rule as if she wasn’t here.

Yes, she enjoyed the luxuries of servants and every necessity she could think that was all provided by the Miko. But Kira made sure not to take anything that came from taxes. Her wealth was enough to never have to worry about anything, really. She did not need her ponies to subsidize her way of life.

“They don’t need me anymore; they just don’t want to admit it.” Maybe just like her family and subjects, Kira wasn’t truly ready to separate herself permanently from them. “I’m finally alive in the same era as Luna and Celestia…” Kira looked to Miso, a thought crossing her mind. “Perhaps, I will not need a long slumber anymore.”

How far could she really stretch her life span anyway? It was well past the time for her to step down as the ‘Goddess of Nippon,’ and though she never liked being referred to as such, she understood how important it was for her nation to have a symbol to unify around.

“I need a true successor…” Plans began to meld in her mind. Kira turned sharply to the right, greeted by the arrival of Hazel Thunder. The honey-colored rinin was dressed in a delicate white kimono with blue accents, her hair affixed in a loose bun with needles.

“Lady Kira, I have a report.”

Kira frowned, “This was supposed to be a vacation for you, Hazel.” She stated dowery. “Let my children take care of matters unless it is truly a concern.”

Hazel’s ears flopped against her head, “Oh…”

“Are you disappointed in me?”

“NO! Never, I just…” Hazel trailed off, mumbling her private thoughts softly to the air. The Goddess of Nippon wished the young monster pony would be bolder with her. Speak her mind and all that.

“I’m sure it’s disappointing…” Kira continued ignoring Hazel’s abandoned statement. “You wait to reunite with me, and I am not the pony you admired all those years ago.”

“You will always be an admiral pony to me, Lady Kira!” Hazel stated definitively. “It’s strange, dealing with this more mellow version of you, but I will always respect your teachings, even to this day and after. I know you only took a shine to me because of my resemblance to Emerald Cutter. So, I want to live up to your expectations.”

Kira smiled sadly, staring at the red sky. “I can’t deny it. In the beginning, that was the reason. I am not above such things, but you are your own pony. You and Emmy are so different I have to laugh for even thinking you two were similar. Don’t take that the wrong way.”

“Of course.” Silence filled the room, with Miso’s soft snores the only audible noise. “So… about that report… message, sorry I misspoke.”

“A message, huh? I suppose it would be rude not to hear it out then. Who’s it from?”

“Queen Cadence, it’s brief, but in summary. She believes Equestria will need your assistance soon, and judging by the red sky, it came sooner than predicted.”

At that moment, Kusanagi entered the room. “Great Mother, our spies are reporting… a massive attack by unicorns from all our shinobi around the world. They are attacking every other race while hordes of monsters ravage the lands.”

“What of our Unicorns?”

Kusanagi looked from his scroll to Kira, and then Hazel, and back to his scroll as if it would provide the answer he needed. “I… um… do we have unicorns?”

As serious and stone-faced as a mountain, Kira replied, “I think we do… maybe… like five of them? Hazel, are you considered a unicorn? Do you have the urge to attack Kusanagi or me?”

Nippon was a land of Earth pony and Rinin, with almost every family having some form of Rinin blood in them nowadays. Now that Kira was thinking about it, she wasn’t sure they had any unicorns or pegasi in significant numbers. Isolationism for the win?

Hazel inspected herself, “Nope. I do not.”

“Alright, since that’s settled. Gather our forces and ready the fleets!” At her order, the entire military-industrial complex of Nippon was mobilized. Every soldier was envigored to battle alongside their goddess once more, and many regular citizens volunteered for whatever position was needed. It was the first time in pony history, where an entire nation dedicated it’s self-one hundred percent to war.

The big question that loomed in Kira’s thoughts was who their enemy was? Dusk’s prophecies played like a reel in her mind. Making her dread, she’d have to put down one of her friends.

A feeling of absolute fear engulfed her as Kira donned her armor and tied her hair up. In the reflection of her katana’s, she wondered whose blood would stain her blade.

“Don’t be a pony, I love,” She muttered softly, sheathing the sword. With her weapons strapped to her side, Kira strode out to meet Hazel, Kiri, Kaki, and the Sakura sisters. Together they boarded the Flag Ship Emerald Cutter and set sail for Equestria.

Communications were down, so they’d have to travel there physically or until they got a radio response.

Kira’s worry continued to grow as she thought of Cadence’s message. It had been sent via magic fire, not long before the sky turned red.

“Hurry to our friends! Samurai of Nippon! For the Sake of our friends!”

Author's Note:

Alright only 4 more chapters. With the possibility of a short epilogue.

Things are gonna start happening very fast, so start playing Andrew W. K on loop. You can probably guess the song, I'm talking about.

PreviousChapters Next