• Published 1st Oct 2016
  • 352 Views, 0 Comments

Story of Diane Pie: Returning - Middle Ground



This is what happened before Diane decided to go back to her 'real' family.

  • ...
 0
 352

Return or Don't Return?

I have been spending more and more time with Pinkie Pie since our first outing together. Maud has been too busy with her studies on minerals to be with us, so it was just Pinkie and I. We have been scheduling our meetings every other weekend and whenever I'm not working. Pinkie has gotten to know Day, Charm, Tough Love, and even Bitter Sweet during her visits and they love her. Bitter is still astonished at how similar Pinkie and I looked side by side.... And Charm has been repeatedly asking Pinkie out on dates and he still keeps getting rejected. Charm is too persistent. It has been almost a month of these visits and I've grown more comfortable being with Pinkie Pie. And today is another one of her visits, except this time Maud is with her. I was standing at the train station at around 11 am waiting for Pinkie as scheduled, and I see both of them walking off the train.

"HI DIANE...!" That has been Pinkie's usual greeting. I walked over to them in excitement.

"It's good to see you again, Pinkie...! You too, Maud...! I didn't know you were coming too!" I'm glad they both came. Maud was still her expressionless self.

"It's good to see you again, Diane. Have you been well?" She then gave me a hug.

"Yes, I've been well. Busy, but well." I hugged her back. Then Pinkie hugged us both.

"Hey Diane, we got something BIG to tell you! It's super duper important...!" This was unusual. Pinkie usually just wants to have some fun. This must be serious.

"Pinkie, that can wait. Let's just go enjoy the day instead." Maud then began to leave the train station. Maud just wants to have fun now? What is going on here?

"Okie dokie lokie!" Pinkie then bounced her way out following Maud. Well, I guess we can enjoy our day for a little while first. I then followed them out and we then made our way into Manehatten. First we went to the Manehatten Museum and Maud loved then Mineral exhibit. Apparently, there was some new minerals on display today and Maud looked like she was having the time of her life. I think I saw sparkles in her eyes as she gazed at the unique stones. We then watched a movie at the theatre called 'Love is a Storm'. It was about this one Earth Pony mare who got caught in a twister but was then saved by a handsome Pegasus and it was so romantic. We then went to the Manehatten Park and enjoyed a good hot carrot and ice cold water for our break. I then looked at the clock and it was 2: 27 pm. We have had a pretty busy day. But it was fun.

"So Diane, how is everypony? Are they doing alright?" Pinkie said after gulping a mouth full of food.

"Yes, they're doing alright. Miss Jubilee, Tough Love, and Bitter Sweet are still busy. Day and Charm are now in the 5th grade this year. What about your friends? How are they doing?" Pinkie usually has some story to tell me when it involves her friends.

"Oh yeah, we made a new friend a week ago! Her name is Starlight Glimmer and she is super cool! She is really good with magic and she can make a really tasty cake! She used to be a really mean pony, but she just wanted a friend!" Pinkie then finished her hot carrot. If it's Pinkie and her friends, then I don't think any pony could stay bad.

"Diane, I think now we should speak to you about something. Something important." Maud finally brought up what they wanted to talk to me about. I wondered when they were going to do so.

"Oh right, that! It's so important that it will blow your mind!" Pinkie got uncomfortably close to my face. I tried to prepare myself for whatever they had to say.

"I've heard you two have been spending more time together for a while and I think now is the time to-" She was then interrupted by piles of leaves falling on top of us. All the leaves were still green and they just fell off without warning.

"What was that?! What happened to the tree?!" We looked up to see a familiar face rocking back and forth in a hammock: It was Discord.

"Why hello again, Diane! And look who we have here! It's Pinkie Pie herself! This is a pleasant surprise!" He was eating a few of the leaves himself. I guess that goat face of his still eats greens.

"Discord, what are you doing here?! We're trying to have fun with Diane right now!" Pinkie then brushed off all the leaves without effort.

"What a coincidence! I wanted to spend time with Diane as well! We are friends after all!" Discord then slithered around my shoulder. I'm not really sure if we're actually friends yet. We don't spend much time together to be honest....

"Discord, you're interrupting something important. Could this wait?" Maud must be annoyed like Pinkie, though it wasn't obvious. She always had a good poker face.

"Why wait at all? Can't we all have a little fun? Here, let's go!" Oh no.... I knew what he was going to do and I wasn't fast enough to stop him. In a flash of light, we were now in a place full of rainbows that looked like waterfalls.

"Here we are...! Rainbow Falls! And with no travel fees!" Oh dear.... Not again.

"Discord, this is not what we-" Maud was then interrupted when Discord grabbed all three of us in his arms.

"Come now, I insist!" We were then taken to the rainbows and slid on them like we were at a water park. We had lots of fun, but after that we were covered in all seven colors of the rainbow.

"Discord, it's been fun, but I need to get back to Manehatten before it gets late." I said as I was rubbing the colors out of my mane and coat. It noticed that it was 5:40 pm, and it was starting to get late.

"Oh, alright then. I'm glad we could have fun, Diane. Until next time!" Discord then snapped his fingers and the three of us were then back at Manehatten Park with the leaves back on the tree we were standing underneath. And the rainbow colors were removed from our coats, manes, and tails.

"That was lots of fun! But we need to talk with you right now, Diane!" Hopefully this time we don't get interrupted this time....

"Diane, we think it is time you come with us to meet with everypony at the rock farm. Meet with our sisters and our parents." I was right.... This is very serious. I haven't really thought about them at all. They mostly became an afterthought after all this time.

"I don't know.... Would they accept me? I'm not really a normal pony. What if they call me a monster or something...?" The thought of that gives me chills.

"They would never do that...! They would love you and they would give you hugs every day!" Pinkie then gave me a hug to probably prove her own point. Even so, I was still unsure....

"We would be there to defend you. Though, I'm very sure they would never do that." Maud then joined Pinkie in her hug. I get hugs like these a lot.... Even so, I'm still reluctant to go back. Besides, I already have a family here in Manehatten. It's kind of weird to have two families....

"I'll come back and see you on my next visit, ok?! I gotta go back home now!" Pinkie freed me from her hug.

"And I must go back to the rock farm. It's getting late and I have to get Boulder ready for bed soon." Maud then put Boulder back inside her pocket. Pinkie and Maud began to make their way to the train station and I followed. It was 5:56 pm when we got there and the train arrives at 6:10 pm, so we had time to talk.

"So Pinkie, how are Mom and Dad? Limestone and Marble? Are they alright...?" I know they don't know about me yet, but I did want to know how they were doing.

"Oh, they're all fine. And they all want to meet wi-OOPS!" Pinkie Pie then clamped her mouth shut out of urgency. What she just said quickly caught my attention.

"Pinkie...." Maud then placed her right hoof on her forehead. She seemed bothered.

"Wait...what did you just say?" Pinkie then looked away and began humming a tune. It had a nervous tone and she was looking very suspicious.

"Pinkie, what are you hiding?" I wanted answers and I pressed Pinkie.

Maud then sighed, "Diane, we told them about you and they all want to meet you soon."

"YOU DID WHAT???!!!" I cannot believe they did that behind my back...! I'm not ready to meet them and they already know about me?! Now what am I supposed to do?!

"I'm sorry, Diane...! We had to tell them somehow...!" Pinkie hid behind Maud out of guilt.

"You could have waited until I was ready to meet them first...!" I can't believe this is happening...! This is too soon!

"This was Princess Luna's idea. She asked us to tell them a few days after our first meeting in Canterlot. At first, Mom and Dad were shocked about this. Even Limestone and Marble. But after Pinkie and I talked it over with them, they all really want to meet with you. Mom and Dad said they were very impressed with how you were able to hold yourself and they know Miss Cherry Jubilee. They know they can trust you." Even after all that Maud said, this is just too much to take all at once! And Luna...I have a few things to speak to you about.

"And Limestone and Marble want to see you too! Limestone especially...!" That is...unusual. Even so, I was really scared now. We then began hearing the sounds of a whistle from the distance. It was the train entering the station. When it came to a complete stop, the passengers began exiting and entering the train like always.

"I'll be back soon! I hope you'll come with me to see them! It'll be fun!" Or it will be incredibly awkward.... Pinkie and Maud then made their way on the train to return back to where they came from.

"Diane, I'll be waiting for you at the rock farm when you're ready. Until then, take care."

"BYE DIANE...!" Pinkie and Maud then gave me one last wave before entering the train. I waved back at them.

"ALL ABOARD! ALL ABOARD!" The ponies then cleared the track and the train began to take off. The whistle gave a loud toot and the train left the station. Leaving the station and making my way back home, I am now feeling lost and confused. My parents and my sisters all know about me and they want to see me right now. This is unbelievable.... I then arrive back home, the sun was going down, I enter the house, and then Day grabbed a hold of my right hoof.

"I MISSED YOU...!" Day always hugs me when I'm gone for too long. It was rather late....

"I'm sorry, Day. I had a long day today. Is everypony upstairs?" I then made my way upstairs with Day.

"Not Big Brother.... He's still working." We then arrive on the second floor to see Miss Jubilee reading one of Tough Love's romance novels, Charm reading his comics, and Tough Love making dinner.

"Oh, you're back! How was your day, Diane~?"

"It was a busy day. I met with Pinkie and Maud, we had some fun in Manehatten, then we got dragged to Rainbow Falls by Discord, and then I found out that my...'real' family knows about me." They then all looked at me when I finished talking. I'm not sure what part they were shocked about in that sentence, the part about Discord or the part about my 'real' family.

"So...are you leaving us?" Charm flew towards me out of concern. Day and Charm gave me some sad expressions.

"No, I'm not leaving you. I'm not sure if I'll go see them at all. I haven't decided yet...." I hugged them both to assure them. I could never leave them.

"I think you should go see them, Diane. You know it's for the best." Tough Love then prepared the dinner table with plates and silver ware.

"Love, that's not fair...!"

"Yeah! Diane is our sister...!" Day and Charm both grabbed a hold of my front hooves, acting like they owned me.

"Day, Charm, this is something Diane must decide on. What ever she decides on, we must support her." Day and Charm then freed my hooves, though they seemed reluctant. They probably understand what Miss Jubilee meant. Honestly, even I'm reluctant about all this. We then heard the door opening and closing; it was Bitter Sweet returning from work.

"Big Bro is home...!" Charm and Day both ran downstairs to greet him.

"So Diane, what will you do? Will you go meet with them? The Pie Family? I know them quite well." Maybe Miss Jubilee did business with the Pie Family before.

"I'm not sure.... Pinkie and Maud told them about me behind my back, at Princess Luna's instruction, and they told me that they all want to meet me. This is just too soon." I won't deny that I am quite annoyed about all this sudden progression.

"Um...Diane, Day and Charm tell me you might be leaving us. What does that mean...?" Bitter Sweet entered the second floor with Charm and Day following.

"Day, Charm, I told you.... I'm not leaving you. I'm not even sure if I will even meet the Pie Family." This is getting more annoying.

"Oh, you mean the family Pinkie Pie came from? I heard they're a well-known rock farming family. I've even heard that Pinkie Pie is a member of the Mane 6. A group of mares who protect Equestria from evil." Bitter Sweet then sat down after laying his coat against the couch.

"So...THEY'RE SUPER HEROES???!!! SO COOL!!!" Charm's eyes sparkled at the thought. As much as I want to give Charm a reality check, he's not really wrong not that I think about it.

"Alright, enough about all that. Dinner is ready and we're having salads with croutons, radishes, tomatoes, and cucumbers. And we even have dressing. Come and get it...!" Tough Love finished making dinner and we all ate. It was really good. Afterwards, we just talked about some random stuff that was going on like a new boutique opening up downtown, apparently the rulers of the Crystal Empire had a baby, and Vinyl Scratch got another dubstep album out in stores. I've noticed Bitter Sweet listening to dubstep more often lately. Afterwards, it was around 9:47 pm, and it was almost time for bed. Day and Charm were the first to go to bed. Tough Love left as well after all the work she did at the bakery/café. It was just Miss Jubilee, Bitter Sweet, and myself staying up late.

"Diane, I hate to bring this up, but my book finally arrived in the mail today. And it was about the Mirror Pool." Bitter Sweet's words then caught my attention. Was he trying to figure out how I came to be all this time?

"I read the book and most of it told me stuff we already know. Though, from what I have read, you're nothing like the copies the book described. All that aside, that is all I know." I guess there are things not even books can tell you. I then told Bitter Sweet of what Princes Luna told me and he was baffled.

"A personality given sentience? The Sonic Rainboom? This is...unbelievable." I'm not surprised that he is amazed by this.

"Alright, enough is enough. You two should get some sleep. Tomorrow is another day and you'll need your strength." Miss Jubilee is right. With all that happened today, I desperately need some sleep. We wished each other good night and then drifted off to peaceful sleep. As I slept, I was now standing in what I knew was my dream. I knew a certain Princess was going to pay me a visit.

"Princess Luna...! Are you there?!" I called out to her and a light shined. She emerged from the light and landed in front of me.

"Diane, it is good to see you. How have you been?" She gave me a gentle smile. As happy as I was to see her, I was still annoyed about what she did.

"Princess, why did you have Pinkie and Maud tell the Pie Family about me?! You know I'm not ready for this just yet!" Princess Luna gave a bothered sigh and placed her right hoof on her forehead.

"I am sorry, Diane. I have just spoken with Maud Pie and she told me of what happened earlier today at the train station. I know this is a tad rushed on my part, but it had to be done. It would only be more complicated should they continue to be un-informed." I'm not sure what she meant by that, but maybe it's for the best.

"So...what do you think I should do? I'm not sure what to do about this...."

"That is something you must figure out on your own. It is your decision to make. Go and meet with them or not. I can only advise you to take care. Farewell." Princess Luna began to shine, light consuming her and I then find myself awake in bed with the morning sun shining in my room. I get out of bed to see that Bitter Sweet had already gone out to work. I get out of bed, try to straighten out my bed-mane and bed-tail, wash my face, and then go downstairs to see Miss Jubilee all by herself reading another one of Tough Love's romance novels.

"Good morning, Diane~! I hope you slept well~! There's a bagel for you on the table~!" I noticed the bagel Miss Jubilee pointed at on the dinner table. I ate it with a glass of milk.

"Tough Love is taking the day off and is going out of the town with Day and Charm. Bitter Sweet is at work right now. If you want, you can spend the day with me~!" Miss Jubilee is always so enthusiastic. I began thinking about what to do about the Pie Family, and I can't deny it.... They know I exist and hiding from them won't solve anything. I gave a deep sigh and after finishing my bagel and milk, I know what I must do: I must go and meet with them. It's now or never....

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment