• Published 23rd Aug 2016
  • 4,712 Views, 98 Comments

The Villain: Total Eclipse - Gear Spring

  • ...
16
 98
 4,712

Chapter 1: The Shadow Dragon

A full moon hangs in a starry sky, blanketing all of Equestria in a dark world. Haunting white light bathes down on the forest floor, casting a long, serpentine shadow amongst the trees. Standing in the clearing is a large dragon whose violet scales almost appear black, blending him in with the night. The beast has a pair of wings, each giving off a light of their own.

To his right, the wing has a golden glow to it, its scales are inlaid with the precious metal. It is as if the entirety of the sun is encased in that wing. Meanwhile the left has a more haunting remnants to it, like the ghastly light of the full moon.

The eclipse dragon looks upwards at the night sky, emerald eyes filled with concern. He looks around the wooded landscape, finding frost accumulating among the trees. The local creatures appear to tremble from the frigid air that plagues their land. Rodents and birds alike take to the trees and huddle together with the warmth.

“It has been four days,” Spike the Eclipse speaks in a whisper. “The sun has not risen, and the world is starting to feel the effects of eternal night. If this continues all life will cease. But the sun will not rise so long as it is within me.”

He looks down at his claws, the beautiful obsidian scales.

“I finally have all the power that I want,” he sounds saddened, “But it means nothing if the world cannot survive. I have no other choice…”

Holding his left claw aloft, he aims it for the sky. Narrowing his eyes, he focuses on the moon hanging before him. Slowly, it begins to descend, falling over the horizon. The world becomes darker and darker as he lowers it from sight. Once it disappears, everything is swallowed by darkness.

And then, a small sliver of light breaks through the veil. It starts as a small ball, but slowly grows bigger by the minute. Gently, Spike tosses it up into the air, and it continues to float upwards. The ball expands even larger, while the light from his right wing fades. Black skies turn blue, as sunlight pours over the world again.

Down on the earth, Spike is down on his knees, panting heavily and clutching his chest.



In Ponyville, Twilight Sparkle looks concerned as the sun suddenly appears. She leaves from her balcony, vanishing in a bright flash of pink light. Reappearing in the throne room, she paces to and fro.

“I hope that Princess Celestia and Princess Luna are alright,” she says to no one in particular. “Maybe with the sun finally rising I will find them.”

Suddenly the door bursts open and Rainbow Dash storms in a blue blur. The Pegasus soars through the air, nearly crashing into the chandelier, but manages to drop out of the air in time. She finds the table as a landing pad, falling down in a sprawling fashion.

“Rainbow Dash, what are you doing here?”

“Twilight,” she jumps to her hooves. “You got to come, now!”

“Why? What’s going on?”

“Just come on!”

Rainbow Dash soars behind her friend and starts to push out of the castle. Eventually, the alicorn starts to walk on her own and is led into town. Near the town hall, a bunch of ponies have gathered in a circle. In the crowd, they can see Pinkie Pie bouncing around, though not in her normal bubbly way. Fluttershy is also nearby, floating just over the others.

The two ponies push themselves through the crowd, and Twilight is shocked to see the princess on the ground. She appears extremely battered. Scrapes cover her coat. Her wing is bent at an odd angle. Twigs and dirt coats her rainbow mane.

“Princess Celestia!” Twilight Sparkle shouts in shock.

Running to her mentor, she finds that Celestia is conscious, but weakly looks up at her former pupil.

“What happened?” Twilight asks.

“It, it was Spike,” she says, struggling to get back to her hooves.

Princess Twilight rushes to her side, lending a wing as Celestia falls onto her. Again, Celestia tries to stand, finding more stable hoofing. She forces a smile on her face.

“Is there anything we can do, our highness,” the mayor appears in the crowd.

“I just,” she winces, “I just need some rest. If you excuse me.”

Limping, she parts the crowd of ponies, who all share the look of concern as Princess Twilight. She chases after the princess.

Out of the earshot of others, she asks, “What do you mean it was Spike?”

“He attacked Luna and I,” Princess Celestia stumbles, but remains standing. “I have never seen such ferocity from any-pony before. He tried to steal mine and my sister’s magic.”

“What?” Twilight looks in disbelief, “What happened to Princess Luna.”

Lowering her head, Celestia closes her eyes to hide the tears from her pupil, “My sweet, little sister, why did you sacrifice yourself for me? I, I am so sorry.”

Suddenly, she collapses to the ground, tears streaming down her face. As much as she tries to hide it, the despair is clear on her face, the bitter anguish. Burying her tears in her hooves, Celestia suddenly feels a soft wing touch her. Looking up, she finds Princess Twilight at her side, a wary smile on her muzzle.

“We’ll save her,” she speaks kindly to Celestia. “I promise…”

“Twilight Sparkle,” she starts to sway, the world spinning. “Thank…you…”

Once more, the princess collapses.


Later that evening, Twilight Sparkle and the others are gathered around the crystal table. Each is sitting in their thrones, with Starlight Glimmer occupying Spike’s.

“How is the princess?” Fluttershy asks.

“She is sleeping,” Twilight says, “It would seem that Spike is the one responsible for her condition, and for Luna’s disappearance.”

“That no good varmint,” Apple Jack pounds her hoof on the table.

Rarity looks disheartened, “I still can’t believe that little dragon could be capable of all this destruction.”

“It gets worse,” Twilight says sternly. “It seems that Spike is looking to turn all dragons against us.”

“If the dragons went to war with us,” Starlight says, “It would lead to the fall of Equestria.”

“What do we do?” Fluttershy speaks just above a whisper.

“We go on the attack,” Rainbow Dash puts both hooves on the table.

“Listen, sugar cube, I don’t think that—”

“No Apple Jack, she’s right,” Twilight cuts in.

“What?” the others say in unison.

“We need to take the initiative,” the princess says. “We will head to the Dragon Lands and speak with Dragon Lord Ember. Hopefully she will still be on our side.”

“Is that safe darling?” Rarity asks.

“I hope so,” Twilight smiles, “Because I want you to come with me.”

“Me? Why?”

“You came with me to the Dragon Lands,” she says. “Another familiar face would be better for negotiations.”

“Well, if it will help us, I suppose I could go with you,” Rarity looks a bit nervous. “Although I’ll have to pick out the right outfit.”



Somewhere in the frozen north, a dark figure lurks toward the Crystal Empire. Smoke seems to pour off the scaly body of the dragon. Emerald green eyes look up to the towering crystal statue that depicts a hero that saved the entire empire.

“I was considered a hero to them,” Spike chuckles. “Such a childish notion. It only made me arrogant to the fact that I was no better than a pet to these ponies. We will see if they look on me with the same kind eyes.”

Passing his own statue, the shadow dragon slithers toward the crystal heart sitting out in the open. As he approaches, two stallion guards step in his way, looking at the blackened beast with concerned gazes.

“What business do you have here, stranger?” the one says, unrecognizing the dragon they idolize.

Holding his hands up, he grins, “Tell Princess Cadence that Spike is here to surrender.”