• Published 23rd Aug 2016
  • 4,712 Views, 98 Comments

The Villain: Total Eclipse - Gear Spring

  • ...
16
 98
 4,712

Chapter 10: Good and Evil

Dust is swept by the wind, and carries a tumbleweed through town. Along the stretch of buildings on either side of the main road, a god-like dragon stomps into the dusty street. Prints are left in the dirt as he makes his way to the center of town. Above the train station, the clock tower begins chiming, each toll of the bell resonating an ominous tone. The eclipse dragon looks about as the chorus rings out. Appleloosa appears to be no more than ghost town. Its only inhabitants are the swirling dirt and lonely howls. Spike listens carefully, but he is met with the sound of silence upon the twelfth ring of the bell. He closes his eyes, and gives a small smile.

“They’ve already evacuated,” he sounds relieved. “Guess it means I don’t have to hold back.”

Digging his heels into the dirt, he holds out his claws. In one hand, a ball of fiery gas appears, burning hot like the sun itself. The other seems to create an orb of nothingness, which seems to start sucking in all the light that surrounds it. Suddenly, the eclipse dragon sweeps his leg, spinning wildly with his arms held outwards. The black hole starts to absorb the trailing flames of the ball of plasma emits. In one arc, the two orbs seem to connect into a ring, exploding outwards in a devastating merge of energy. Combined, they detonate. The entirety of the town is swallowed up by the fiery ball, which looks like a bright white ball that seems to swallow up several acres. On the outskirts of the town, the apple trees are scorched to ash, leaving nothing left. And then, all of a sudden, blackness appears in the center of the destruction. All that light, all of the destruction is sucked into the dark spot. And then, there is nothing.

Scorched earth is all that is left of the town. Not even a trace of the buffalo stampede trail can be seen in the devastation. Spike stands there for a moment, his face sullen as he gazes at the destruction that he has wrought. His claws ball into fists.

“Getting tired of the wanton destruction?”

Whirling around, Spike finds discord floating upon an invisible current as if he were lounging. The draconequus has a deviant smile upon his face as he gets up from his unseen resting spot, gently hopping onto the burned earth.

“What are you doing here?” Spike snarls. “Come to mock me again.”

“I’ve come to reason with you…”

The eclipse dragon is taken aback, “You, the lord of chaos, wish to reason with me.”

“I’m not telling you to stop,” Discord explains, “Far be it for me to put a stop to the unrest you have inflicted upon Equestria. No, I am telling you to cut to the chase.”

“What do you mean?” the dragon appears to tense up.

“You continue to stall your threat,” the Lord of Chaos walks over to him with claw and paw behind his back. “Sure you destroy a village here and there, but you’ve mainly focused on those that have been abandoned.”

“I do not wish to harm the ponies,” he says. “I wish to force the princesses’ hooves. Other ponies do not need to lose their lives to do so.”

Discord shakes his head, “My dear, naïve Spike. Structures and homes can always be rebuilt. It is the lives that matter. Lives can never be repaired.”

“No, no I couldn’t…”

“If you truly wish for Celestia and Luna to,” he pauses to laugh, “Open up, you will have to do what is necessary to force them.”

“But to kill…”

“YOU DID NOT HESITATE TO KILL ME WHEN YOU DID!”

Discord is suddenly inches from Spike’s face, his eyes burning red like twin infernos. The draconequus has his mitts digging into the dragon’s shoulders.

Spike is thrown backwards by the outburst. The eagle talons rip through his scales, spilling a blackened liquid from the wound. Grabbing his slashed arm, the eclipse dragon winces for a moment. Moving his claws away, he sees the wound has already closed. In the puddle that has formed, a small sprout has sprung from the barren earth. Yet neither he nor Discord notices.

“I apologize for my actions, Discord,” he says feebly. “Nothing I do can remedy them, but I will admit my faults. And that is all I wish from the princesses. Admittance.”

“Then if you wish for them to admit their actions, you must stop with your attacks on ghost towns. You and I both know your next target.”

Spike nods, but frowns, “Ponyville…”



The blackened sky hangs over Ponyville, yet there is still some light in the crystal castle. A single room has several candles lit, burning brightly against the darkness that dares to penetrate through. Two ponies fight off sleep, or rather sleep is unable to come to either of them. The Princess of the Night finds comfort in the bed, as she watches her sister pace nervously back and forth. There is a note lying in front of her, writing out details of yet another attack orchestrated from the eclipse dragon.

“Is this true, my sister?” Luna asks.

“I’m afraid so, Luna,” the princess sighs. “Appleloosa is no more, making it the fifth town that he has attacked.”

“And yet there has not been a single casualty. We should consider ourselves lucky, dear sister.”

“I believe that he is reluctant to kill innocent, and for that I am thankful.”

“So what shall we do then?” Luna asks. “Perhaps it is time we admit the sins of our past, and put a stop to this.”

Celestia stops pacing and makes a sharp look, “That is not an option. It will never be an option.”

“But why not, dear sister?” Luna does not falter despite the angry expression she gets from Celestia, “If he is reluctant to harm, maybe just admitting our folly will quell his anger.”

“His anger will never be quenched,” Celestia stomps her hoof. “It may stop for a time, but his heart is too damaged to let things settle. There is a chance he will wage war for what has become of the dragons in his absence. Our kingdom will be vulnerable. Many of our subjects will be harmed.”

“But sister…”

“We are facing the Eclipse Dragon, a god of untold power. When we agreed not to return his power, it was for the sake of every creature in Equestria. No one being should have that sort of weight over us all.”

Luna shakes her head, “But sister, how do we stop him now?”

“In order to face a god, we will need one ourselves,” Celestia walks toward the window, staring out at the starry sky. “I believe it is time we take Twilight to the catacombs.”