• Published 23rd Aug 2016
  • 4,717 Views, 98 Comments

The Villain: Total Eclipse - Gear Spring

  • ...
16
 98
 4,717

Chapter 6: The Setting Sun Part 2

Blankets are draped over the body of a sleeping alicorn. Even the colorful rainbow mane remains hidden under the sheets. Celestia appears as still as a statue, save for the gentle rise and fall from her chest. As Fluttershy walks into the room, she is sure to close the door behind her carefully. Cradled in her Pegasus wing is the baby dragon who looks less on the verge of death, and has curled up like the youngling that he is in a sound sleep.

At the foot of the bed Celestia has fallen asleep is a small cushion. The little dragon bed has been untouched in some time, forcing the yellow pony to use her wing as a feather duster. Her feathers wipe away the unused fabric, stirring up a little cloud of dust before it disperses into the room. With it clean, Fluttershy sets the baby dragon down in his bed. A small blanket is clenched in her teeth as she pulls it up to his shoulders.

“There-there, Spike,” she brushes the top of his green quills with her hoof. “I’m sure we will get through this, and maybe we can all be friends again after this.”

While her tender eyes are on Spike, she hears the door open to the bedroom, begging her to turn her head to see a pink furred unicorn poking her head inside. Pushing the purple and green strands from her eyes, Starlight Glimmer motions for her friend to come over. The yellow Pegasus looks around, only to find that the only other inhabitants are sound asleep. Quietly, she trots over to the door.

“What’s going on, Starlight?” Fluttershy reaches her friend.

“Twilight needs your help,” she says, pointing down the hallway. “She wanted me to fetch you.”

“But, um, she told me to look after Spike and Celestia.”

“Don’t worry,” Starlight says. “I’m here to watch over them.”

“Oh, well, if you’re here, then I guess it’s okay.”

Fluttershy walks out of the room and Starlight takes her place inside. The unicorn watches her friend trot down the hallway before closing the door. A sinister smile draws upon her face just as she shuts it. And then, her body fades away, becoming nothing more than a glittering powder that vanishes.

“I’m sorry, Fluttershy,” Spike speaks, rising from his bed. “But we are past the point of going back.”

Emerald light encompasses his right claw as he lifts it from his bed. The same glow drapes across a chair sitting in the corner. It slides silently across the floor before being propped up in front of the knob. The baby dragon climbs out of his bed, and walks over to the one belonging to his former friend. Digging his claws into the sheets, he pulls himself up onto the bed. His light body climbs over the sleeping princess without causing her to stir. Violet claws grab at the blanket and pull it from her, exposing the princess to the chill air that seems to be filling the room. Aside from a sudden shiver, she does not awaken.

“Oh, how I wanted to expose you and your sister to your precious ponies,” he seethes. “To show them what their princesses really are like. Thorn has taken that from me. His rage, my rage, has turned you into a martyr.”

He balls his claws into a fist.

“I will never be able to show Equestria what you really are,” tears seem to well in his eyes. “But I can at least gain what rightfully belongs to me. I’ll continue my role as villain until I am satisfied.”


“What in Celestia is that?”

Towering over Ponyville is a gargantuan dragon whose body appears to be made of darkness. Shadows leap from its body like wisps of smoke, only to fall back to its scaly surface. Emerald orbs fill the sockets as they watch frightened ponies flee to the castle. The beast marches forward, it digs its claws into the side of a building as it climbs over part of the town. Yet the sheer weight causes the structure to collapse under its talons. Still, the beast marches forward. It turns its head from side to side as it seems to scour the fleeing fillies and scared stallion. Once the ponies are far enough away, the great beast rear backs its head and lets out a powerful roar that shakes the entire town.

Twilight Sparkle! a voice roars like a mighty explosion. Come out and face me now!

“That voice,” the Princess of Friendship furrows her brow, “That’s Thorn.”

“How is that possible?” Rainbow Dash floats above her violet friend, “Spike is with Fluttershy.”

“I don’t know,” Twilight says. “It may be another one of his tricks, or maybe.”

“That what is with Celestia might be,” AJ speaks up, “You know, not really Spike.”

“I’m not sure what’s going on, but we cannot just wait to figure it out. We have to go down there and protect our town.”

“I’m going to help too,” Shining Armor joins his sister’s side. “He still has a hold of Cadence, and I’m not going to stop until she is safe.”

“Don’t worry, you won’t have to after you’re dead…”

Shadows seem to spew like a small geyser from the ground, as they take the form of a crimson-violet pony whose long flowing mane has been touched with starlight. Eyes of the serpent gaze out as Nightmare Cadence emerges through the veil of darkness. Before Shining has a chance to speak, her horn is blanketed in magic and blasted out in a linear beam. It strikes the stallion in the chest, sending him sailing into the castle and crashing against a wall.

“Shining Armor!” Twilight shouts.

“I’m fine,” he picks himself up off the ground. “I’m fine…”

“My-my-my,” Cadence smiles as she walks toward the girls, “I never realized how sturdy you were.”

“I won’t let you hurt my brother,” Twilight says, her horn starts to glow.

“No Twilight,” Shining says, stepping up beside her again. “I’ll handle this…”

“What, but you—”

“She’s my wife. You and your friends go and face that shadow dragon. I’ll be fine.”

The princess looks to her brother and nods, yet a tear manages to shed down her cheek. Looking away, she and her friends race past Nightmare Cadence without so much as a single confrontation from the darkened princess. Her serpentine eyes have locked on her husband, who has a weary look about him.

“You do realize that you have no chance of stopping me.”

“I know,” he says solemnly. “I just hoped I would be able to talk to you.”

“Sorry, husband,” the word makes her give a twisted smile, “But I was promised power if I kill you.”

“So that’s it,” he lowers his head. “Just promise me that you will not harm Flurry Heart.”

Nightmare Cadence looks at him oddly, “What? No attempt to pry your princess from the clutches of darkness? No tries to pull at my heart-strings?”

He remains silent.

“You are no fun at all,” she says, aiming her horn at him. “But if you are willing to make this easy for me, then I will not harm the child.”

“That’s all I wanted to know…”

Laughter erupts from her throat, “Why kill the cretin when I can just corrupt her as well!”

“What? No!”

Shining Armor raises his head, but only as a powerful magic beam comes barreling toward him. He throws up a magic shield to stop it, but it is instantly obliterated. As the blast is about to cut him down, a golden light shines brightly behind him.



At the edge of town, the ponies stand in the shadow of the giant dragon as it stares down at them with its emerald orbs. Lifting its colossal hand, it comes crashing down on one of the buildings, reducing it to rubble. Sickening, sadistic laughter rumbles through the air, belonging only to Thorn Eclipse.

So, my little ponies, you think you can defeat me with the Magic of Friendship?

Twilight stamps her foot against the ground, “We will defeat you Thorn, no matter what you may try.”

Laughter ensues.

That’s it ponies, show me that fleeting light. It will make it all the more enjoyable when I snuff it out.

The Princess of Friendship looks to her friends, “Alright girls, we have faced many a foe. He is nothing more than a combination of them all. We can do this, are you ready.”

Answering her with smiles and nods, a magical aura encompasses each and every one of them. The glow devours their bodies, swelling up like colorful balloons until they pop. Emerging from the balls are the six friends all encompassed in the rainbow of colors given by the Power of Harmony. Together, they shed off a bright white light and lift off the ground. As the lightshow continues, the colossal shadow dragon does nothing to hinder their attack, merely watching them float above his head.

Suddenly there is an eruption of light that flows from the six ponies. Streams of rainbow color shoots out one by one, striking the shadow dragon, as it showers him in light. Once all six rays flow forth, they merge into one final powerful blast, blanketing Ponyville in a blinding white light. But then, the white light is darkened as a green flame rips through it. The ponies are sent sprawling to the ground, knocked out of their rainbow-forms. Dazed, each one has a bit of trouble getting up, but all eyes turn to the giant shadow dragon as it laughs. It digs its claws into the ground, causing the ground to shake as it picks itself up.

Foolish ponies. Despite all your claims of Friendship, the rift between you ponies is clear. Turning you all against each other was so easy, and the damage was never repaired. Without the power of Harmony, you will never be able to defeat—

All of a sudden a beam of light rains down from the heavens, piercing the shadow dragon through the neck, sending the great beast toppling to the ground. The crater which the blinding light has landed oozes smoke as a figure stands at the epicenter. Feathers as white as pure snow are mixed with bright golden scales that glisten in the sunlight. Standing no taller than a pony is a dragon who rises from the disturbed dirt he created. Running from his head down through the spine are black spines that look to be crafted from obsidian. The golden dragon opens his eyes, emerald gaze blazes like burning suns. Turning to face the ponies, he is met by the enormous skull of the shadow dragon. It opens his maw, and lets loose a ferocious roar, but the celestial dragon does not waver.

“Thorn,” Spike says, staring down the colossal beast, “You have something that belongs to me.”